Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• gvasudevangvasudevan Member Posts: 43
    There is no way you can find a GL450 for $50k. My friend bought one with very few options and he paid 70k. He finds it to be not much better than his Honda Pilot in terms of comfort and driving.

Yes the Mercedes or the BMW will impress your neighbors a lot more than a Toyota. It will also go to the garage a lot more often.

The Mercedes also comes nowhere close to the Toyota in terms of interior space.
  • keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    I'm not going to look at option packages and what costs what and what has what b/c in the end you are still comparing apples to oranges bc no vehicle is directly comparable and exactly the same as a competitor. Some always have something that another lacks while the latter has something that the former is missing.

Here is my point....when we were looking at SUV's we looked at a broad range of trucks...everything from a Tahoe to an Escalade. When we honed in on what we wanted, we were up at the 50-65K MSRP price point. Please note that I said the MSRP b/c some vehicles go well under MSRP while others do not. While this forum is a wonderful resource, most every vehicle has an enthusiast forum where you get even more detailed information. The internet is a wonderful resource and has forever changed the automobile industry. No longer am I stuck researching or buying from dealers in VA where I live. Instead, I can easily strike a deal with a dealership hundreds of miles away, using information that I have gleamed from individuals thousands of miles away, and get my truck here quite simply. Thus MSRP is just what it is....a number. It is not the holy grail. Today's economic landscape clearly dictates that a rational and patient consumer can easily beat MSRP on most any vehicle, especialy these large SUVs.

The players that we honed in on were the Escalade, QX56, GL450, Navigator, Denali, and Sequoia Platinum. I won't get flippant and play a Sesame Street game of "which does not fit"? If anything, Toyota should be thrilled that the top level of their SUV is being cross-shopped with the luxury marquees. I'll even surmise that many will choose to buy the Sequoia over the aforementioned choices.

I cannot speak for anybody else but at that point, it becomes a balancing act of what do you want and how much are you willing to pay for it. Some things are very objective (gas mileage, MSRP, seating capacity, dimensions, HP, torque, warranty, safety equipment, etc.) while others are VERY subjective (quality of materials, ergonomics, exterior/interior design, how it drives, dealership experience, your emotional attachment/attraction to a vehicle, how much you will actually pay for the vehicle, etc.). The balancing act arises in coming to a decision about what you want/need and what you are willing to pay for those desired attributes.

My point is and has always been that the Sequoia Platinum is playing with some big names and, in my and my wife's humble opinions, it lacks in some qualities that are found in many of the others. Just like some of the others lack in some positive attributes that the Toyota has. I have listed them before but I'll do it again....the Sequoia has a great drivetrain and a very functional and versatile interior. It lacks some of the subjective traits that I mentioned before. The best way to describe, in our opinion, what the Sequoia is missing is this- when you slide into the driver's seat, you just don't feel like you've entered a 55/60K vehicle like you do in the others. It feels more like a "really nice truck/SUV". Does that mean that it is a bad truck? No way....we are still strongly considering it.

But the Seqouia Platinum puts itself in a very different market than a 38-45K SR5 or Limited model. Yet you are getting some of the very same bits/pieces that you will see, feel, and touch every time you get into the vehicle as that 38K SUV. Compare that to a 50K Denali, 53/55K GL or a 55K QX/Navigator, or a 55/60K Escalade.

Obviously we are on a Sequoia forum with some new Sequoia owners. That alone introduces much subjectiveness about particular vehicles. Like I said, there are some great parts to the Sequoia, but there are also some negatives. Even if we buy the Seqouia, I will always readily acknowledge the deficits that it has compared to some of it's competitors. Such is the deal when making individual decisions.
    I'm not sure where you read that you could get a GL450 for 50K. I clearly said that I'd put a well optioned GL450 at just over 60K.

As for your comment that the Mercedes will spend much more time in the garage than a Toyota. Perhaps in the past, but I'm not sure that is a given today when comparing the new Tundra platform and 5.7 to the GL. Plus, I've got a much longer warranty on the Mercedes than the Sequoia to protect myself. All of those are considerations that I mentioned in my previous post.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    My brother just bought a new Sequoia, trading in his 2004. He, too, thought it was fully equipped with a XM-ready radio, but it's not. He had to buy the receiver. He's really not happy with this, especially since my much lesser 2008 Honda Element (I know, it's weird, but very practical) at 1/3 the price came with a fully-capable XM-ready radio. Just push the XM button, and scan the channels. Toyota should have made it that easy, especially at the price of the Sequoia.
  • awj123awj123 Member Posts: 7
    I've been reading these forums for some time, as I'm halfway through replacing a '04 Lexus GX470 and a '04 Escalade for me and the wife...so I thought I would relay my experience so far...
    We replaced my Escalade with an '08 MB GL450 which the wife now drives..net it priced out at $62k loaded with premium package, 19" wheels, hitch- everything but rear DVD. It is a solid SUV with great performance- at least a half second better 0-60 and better stopping power than the Land Cruiser, LX 570, Escalade or Sequoia.

In addition to owning the GL, I have driven the '08 Sequoia, '08 Land Crusier, '08 Lexus GX470, Audi Q7 and '08 Escalade. The best value out there is the GX470 that can be bought loaded for about $50k- unfortunately it's too small for my needs (and the wife wanted the MB). While loaded with great features, the Sequoia is nice but does not have the interior finish of the Lexus, LC, Escalade or MB- nor will it provide a similar warranty or service experience as MB or Lexus (lexus is 2nd to none). While I like the size and features of the Sequoia, the ride/performance is OK, but the dash layout and quality of materials in the interior are pushing me to either the LC or another Mercedes...noting that the Mecedes is $3k cheaper than the LC when similarly equiped (net price offered by local dealers), and they are approximately the same size (one's longer, the other wider). I would really like the LX570, but don't ant to pay $77k+ for a new SUV. The best price I got on the Sequoia Platinum was $56k- only $6k different than the MB. What makes chosing one more difficult is that the Platinum has more/better features than the LC like 20" wheels, heated/cooled seats, and a functioning 3rd row seat.
    At this point it looks like a toss up between the LC and the MB for me, unless I want to save $6-10k and buy the Platinum. I wish the GX was bigger, as then I'd have an easy choice. In closing, I would definietly buy the Sequoia if the dash was a similar layout and finish as the LC- but right now I don't think I would ever feel good sitting behind the wheel of a Platinum when there are some premium vehicles priced fairly close to it. I'd be interested if the readers are coming to similar conclusions when evaluating the Sequoia & other premium full size SUVs.
  • trebor129trebor129 Member Posts: 176
    "The best price I got on the Sequoia Platinum was $56k- only $6k different than the MB"

Rear DVD on the Mercedes is $2670. And really, the Sequoia 5.7 engine should be compared to the GL550 as they are within 2 HP of each other.
  • gasman8gasman8 Member Posts: 1
    I'm with you awj123. When I first saw the 08 Platinum on the lot with a 57k sticker I almost choked. I too am looking at the Mercedes GL450.. I test drove the Lexus GX470 and BMW X5- both a bit too small. I would normally say reliability wise Toyota wins but Consumer Reports no longer says that. I have an '01 Limited now and have loved it. 120k miles and still going strong. What possessed them to make the Sequoia engine BIGGER?? I never thought it lacked power- although I don't tow. I guess I'm just struggling to pay close to 60k for a Toyota that isn't even recomended by Consumer Reports.
    There is evidence that the Toyota pricing models breaks down as you go further up the line. I could debate it both ways. On one hand I have made the point that a LX570 is still $20K more than a Platinum, so that is a fair amount to explain the difference in interior quality. On the other hand, in the end, I gave up on the Platinum and got a $43,000 ($48,000 sticker) SR5 with basically all options. It is a lot easier to rationalize away the non-perfect luxury details when you are in the lower $40K range. Yes I gave up ride height control, electronic suspension, ventilated seats, power moving steering wheel and folding mirror, etc... All I really miss is the sonar and power rear gate. I do have power folding rear leather seats and stuff.
  • amheck1amheck1 Member Posts: 44
    Is the power rear gate an option on the SR5? I'm assuming so, right?
    No, it is not. Sonar is though. I am not sure if a dealer could add the sonar. Even if they could, they would probably charge me 2x what it is from the factory.

I could add the electrochromic mirror though pretty easily.

I cannot find a way to get a leather-wrapped steering wheel in an SR5, but mine came with one. It is listed on the Limited.
  • dmp20393dmp20393 Member Posts: 2
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THE DRIVERS SEAT ADJUSTABLE THIGH SUPPORTS ARE AVAILABLE ON ANY MODEL EXCEPT THE PLATINUM.
    HP/torque is NOT the only way to compare engines. Performance is. The GL450 gets 13/18 MPG (same as Sequoia) and runs to 60 in 6.5- faster than the Sequoia. It also has a 7 speed auto...does that make it better than the Sequoia since it has that extra gear?

Cliff Notes....not a bad powertrain.

Oh yeah...it was also Motor Trend SUV of the Year last year.
    Funny but my wife said this to the Toyota sales person and me-
    "Put the Land Cruiser interior in the Sequoia and we're buying one right now".

Trebor is right though....the Sequoia loses the value equation when it gets close to 50K. The SR5 well optioned is probably the best value, but then you lose some important option availablity.
    Agreed HP is not as important as actual performance.

http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroadtests/14341/tested-2008-toyota-sequoia-plat- inum-4wd.html

15.2 second 1/4 mile.
    70 mph to 0 took 184 feet.

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/10910/2007-mercedes-benz-gl450-specs-page2.- html
    15.1 second 1/4 mile.

http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroadtests/14251/tested-2008-mercedes-benz-gl550- -specs-page5.html
    14.5 second for GL550.
    The GL550 achieved a 70-to-0-mph stopping distance of 165 feet.

So you are right. The GL450 is the same or slightly better for performance.

BTW, once you get all the options on the GL450, it is VERY close to the price of the GL550.

I wonder which I would rather have -- an LX570 or GL450?
  • aj4321aj4321 Member Posts: 37
    I agree with your point of view. The Platinum and even the Limited is a hard sell for me. I think Toyota's pricing in the $50-$60k range is a stretch. I like trebor129's approach of getting a loaded SR5 in the low 40's. That makes more sense to me.

As for the other products you listed - I like the GX 470 - it is a great vehicle for $50k but it was too tight for my needs (it also due for a redesign). I think GL450 is probably one of the safest SUV's money can buy and I almost bought one for $60k but I wasn't impressed with the MB engine/transmission set-up (seemed sluggish in the city) and my wife was afraid of potential MB quality issues. The GM products are technically not as good as the Sequoia’s specifications but I do prefer GM/Caddy interior/exterior styling (great deals on all GM trucks). BMW X5 is too tight inside and I can't stand the I-drive system in our 745iL - which is standard in the X5 (there is no way to delete this option). The Infiniti Q56 doesn't drive better than the Sequoia, it has a poor quality track record and steep deprecation (if you are paying cash) but the dealer service is better than Toyota. The only other vehicle on my radar is the Lexus LX 470 (remaining 07’s for $58k). However, I’ve mentioned this idea to others and they have discouraged me from getting a 07’LX.

I think Toyota could have had a big hit with the new Sequoia if they stuck to the design principles of the previous model - 'a Toyota with Lexus attributes.' Instead they went with a more rugged truck-look with the interior and exterior (which doesn't work in the $50k+ segment). Time will tell if I am right - but I can share with you that dealers in both Michigan and Florida (homes in both states) hounding me to buy a Sequoia LTD at $500 above invoice. I stated in a previous post that I would consider purchasing a Sequoia at $1k above invoice - I now take that statement back. I'm sitting on the fence for a while longer.
  • snw1975snw1975 Member Posts: 16
    Trebor...I think you made a great decision with the SR5 and you got a fair deal. that is probably the route I would have gone had I stayed in the Seqouia market.

I went with a Suburban LTZ for $40,500 at the end of Oct.
    "I like trebor129's approach of getting a loaded SR5 in the low 40's. That makes more sense to me. "

I would tend to agree, but by the time you add leather, dvd, nav to a SR5, you can easily get up to $47-$48k.

I'm also trying to weigh a Limited with a few options versus a more leaded SR5. Tough call.
    'I would tend to agree, but by the time you add leather, dvd, nav to a SR5, you can easily get up to $47-$48k. "

Mine has all options except rear DVD, electrochromic mirror, and sonar and I paid $43,600 + their BS $299 document fee. It was over $48K MSRP. It is full leather and JBL 14 speaker+nav, sunroof, roof rack, trailer hitch, bluetooth, heated mirrors, cold-kit, headlight washers, leather wrapped wheel, power heated seats, etc. I posted photos earlier. I am not against the Limited or any model. This car was on the lot and it was 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other. I actually went to the dealer to buy a Platinum and happened to see this one at the same time.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    So what's your point? Sounds to me you like the Sequoia yet don't want to ante up. If dealers are doing what you say they do then send some e-mails out and test the waters. :)
    Mack
    We are bringing home a QX on Friday for a weekend visit. After that, we'll make a decision. If I had to make a choice tonight, I'm quite certain that my wife would want the QX and I'd readily agree. It is not perfect, but it meets our needs and desires the best.

After we decide what to get, I'll get serious and email some dealers. I'm not going to waste my time, nor a sales person's time dickering over numbers when I don't know what we want to get.

Thanks for being so interested in our buying process ;):blush:
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Toyota has really dropped the ball on XM fans. First it should not be more than a $200 option. In the case of my 07 Sequoia it is not an option at all. I was told that it was by the dealer. That and no CD changer available for the Limited Sequoia. So I am not happy about that situation.
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    Here's my view after shopping for a replacement for my Denali XL (which has been a great vehicle but due for a replacement). I considered the GL, QX, Escalade, another Denali and the new Sequoia. For my uses the LX and LC were too small for my purposes. Money was not a criteria although like anyone else a good value and a fair price mattered to me.

I'm a previous Suburban owner (3x) and towing and interior space are important criteria along with many of the expected creature comforts that come with a luxury SUV.

In the end the Escalade and Denali XL lost on the lack of a folding 3rd row seat and poorly designed interior spacing of the 2nd and 3rd row seats. The absence of BT also hurt the GM products although this could have been added later. In the end, I found the high end GM products falling too far behind the competition in interior design. Particularly given the lack of fold flat 2nd and 3rd row seats.

I liked the GL but once again found the interior space too small for my needs. It also didn't have the towing capacity of the Sequoia (even the GL550 has a limit of 7500#s). I really liked the interior of the QX, even though its smaller than the Seqoia and GM products. The interior fit and finish is excellent and superior to the Sequoia. The exterior is abit quirky for my taste. Particularly the C and D pillars and the headlight placement.

In the end, I send emails to multiple dealers and recieved an offer to buy a fully loaded Platinum Sequoia for $1000 over factory invoice ($52,400 +$1000) which was about $5200 under MSRP.

The '08 Platinum Sequoia turned out to be the best value and in my case the best match to my needs. Spending another $20000 could not have better met my needs for maximum interior space and max tow capacity, which made the decision easy once the dealer made the offer of $1000 over factory invoice.
  • 3rd4rnnr3rd4rnnr Member Posts: 67
    awi - i gues it depends on whats important to you. I am lucky in that i don't have to sweat out the purchase of a new car (money wise). But, that said I also don't feel like I have to show off either. I too have looked at all the other 60k SUV's/trucks and feel that if you remove the whole status and look at me aspect that the 08 Seq hands down is the best on every other point.
  • heroletherolet Member Posts: 22
    The curb weight makes difference as well.

GL 550: 5569 lb (382 bhp @ 6000 rpm, 391 lb-ft @ 2800 rpm) 1.4 mile: 14.5 sec
    GL 450: 5300 lb (335 bhp @ 6000 rpm, 339 lb-ft @ 2700 rpm) 1/4 mile: 15.1 sec
    Sequoia: 6100 lb (Power (381 bhp @ 5600 rpm, 401 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm): 1/4 mile: 15.2 sec

The Toyota weighs about 10% more than GL550 does and 15% more than GL450 does.
    What? You should have an 6 cd in dash changer on your Limited Sequoia. What options are listed on your window sticker?
    Mack
    I am not impressed by the 08 Landcruiser. Toyota went the cheap plastic route with the interior dash and door panels. Running boards are also cheap, the Sequoia has the black running boards with the color keyed bottom strip and the LC looks like they added the 4runner running boards. It also looks like a Highlander. I figure the only LC buyers will be hardcore LC owners.
    Mack
    Consumer reports took the "not recommended" route a bit too far IMHO. The early production V6 Camry and a few of the Tundra trucks had some issues that were resolved. They made a mountain out of a molehill.
    Mack :shades:
    So I am thinking about this for my Sequoia:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9749_Nextour+HN092HR+-LIGHT+GRAY-.html#

I am unsure how I can route the power/video cables through the seats. Anyone have an idea? I stuck a snake down the post hole and it hit bottom in about 10 inches.
    I figured it out. I can easily get the wires through. You can unhook the pleather from the rear bottom of the seat and reach up inside the back.
  • wrxcstiwrxcsti Member Posts: 21
    Just drove back from a road trip from southern California to northern California. Every time I drive on the I-5, I can't believe how many Suburbans, XLs, and ESVs I see. Of course, these long SUVs all seem to carry a lot of kids and cargo.

As mentioned earlier, I was looking forward to the new Sequoia and was a bit disappointed that it is not as long as I thought it would be. Now I really have to make a tough decision between the Sequoia or Denali XL. For me, since the 3rd row seat will always be up with kids sitting there, the cargo space after the 3rd row in the Sequoia is just too small. Putting stuff on the roof is always an option but that's not my preference. For families with 3+ young children, I'd really like to hear your thoughts regarding the trunk space issue when you choose your SUV.

BTW, is it true that for QX56 and Ford EL/Navigator L, you can not load and control the DVD from the front dash area - that you actually have to load the DVD disc into the DVD player mounted in between 1st and 2nd row. If that's the case, wouldn't it be so inconvenient if the parents are sitting in the front row with little kids are in the 2nd row? Thanks.
    And I can even buy the Homelink auto-dimming mirror I am missing:

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/aumiwiho.html
    In summary:

So the only features I felt I missed were an auto dimming mirror ($275), rear-DVD ($1770), and sonar ($500). I would have bought them factory 'ceptin I took a car off the lot without them. They would have been $2545 retail, $2036 invoice.

I ordered these substitutes:

Auto dimming Homelink mirror $220: http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/aumiwiho.html

DVD $400 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9749_Nextour+HN092HR+-LIGHT+GRAY-.html#
    Sonar $136 http://parkingsensors.net/sc.cgi?cart_id=&item=F4R4BG&cat=Front_and_Rear_Parking- - _Sensor_Systems

$756 total (not installed). $1280 to $1789 savings. Savings was not really the main point though. I simply did not have them. I am looking forward to installing the DVD but not the others.
    I know that the DVD player on the QX is in the front console area btwn the driver/passenger seat. I assume that means that either the driver or front passenger can control it, especially since it comes with a remote control. Also like many SUV's, you can view the DVD on the front nav screen as long as the parking brake is engaged.
    Thanks for all those links. Definitely bookmarking them for later. I do like the dual-headrest option, versus the single overhead screen.

Did you come across any more "well-known" brand names in your search.
    "Did you come across any more "well-known" brand names in your search."

Yeah. You can go to Crutchfield.com and spend $1600 on something that looks the same and is a stronger brand name. They probably just contract this company to put their name on it. Nobody really makes this stuff except contractors in China.
    There is no way to watch DVDs on the front with my Honda minivan, even if in park. It is a total pain because I have to stick my neck around to get the DVD started. If that is a problem for this I will just install a visor-LCD in the front seat.
  • radman8radman8 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Burb and really like it - I looked at the Expedition EL EB and liked it but after going to 3 different dealers that would not negoitiate I ended up w the Burb at a dealer that would negotiate - left Ford dealers thinking no wonder they are losing market share. The Expedition was an 07 and you had to load the DVD from the rear. In my Burb I load and can start the DVD from the front or when my oldest son is a passenger he can use the remote. Real nice feature. The rear seat space is an issue for us and there is plenty in the Burb. Just wish they had fold flat seats.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I find the new Sequoia rather ugly - It is short on space and the back looks like the Sienna. Glad I did not wait for it especially since I needed the space
  • steveman2steveman2 Member Posts: 1
    As a Sirius radio subscriber for 31/2 years, it came as a shock to me (and the not-so-informed salesperson that the Tundra/Sequoia platform is STILL NOT WIRED FOR SATELLITE RADIO (XM or Sirius). This to me is unbelievable! Yeah, I know....I could go to Circuit City and get going with satellite, but for 50 plus, I want factory. You know what? I walked over and looked at a loaded Highlander Hybrid, and although it has an MSRP of 48+, you can activate either satellite service upon purchase. I don't have young children, and I don't really need towing any longer: so I'm really considering the PC Highlander. Plus, the guy called me back at home, and gave a $5,000 discount.
    It is wired for it. You add a factory internal module.
  • mommytruckmommytruck Member Posts: 10
    We are still looking for "The right one" as far as the 08 Sequoia goes. I am still driving my 04 Sequoia, but we would like to get an 08. We have 5 children between ages 2 and 10, so I totally understand the space issue. My Sequoia is only used for our everyday travel. We would not realistically be able to take a long trip in the one we have or even the new one. We do our traveling in my husbands 05 Excursion EB. It definitely does not rank with the luxury, but for traveling it does have good seats, with lots of room. We are RVers as well so we use his Excursion to pull our 5th wheel when we are traveling. So all of the extra stuff the kids have to bring on a trip gets put in the RV. :D
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    What options are listed on your window sticker?

See the post below for the complete listing. My research shows that if you get the DVD NAV and rear DVD entertainment package you cannot get the 6 CD changer, XM or Sirrius. They use the only aux input for the entertainment in rear. I may pull it out and sell it to get what I really need. Which is XM and a CD changer.

gagrice, "2008 Toyota Sequoia" #598, 28 Dec 2007 12:33 pm
    http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/4817/sonarye9.jpg

This shows the factory sonar location. I will duplicate it since they know where there is room under the plastic.
  • toddhmtoddhm Member Posts: 35
    That sonar system is going to be a nightmare of an install.
  • toddhmtoddhm Member Posts: 35
    If you really need sonar, you should have your dealer install a Toyota system. My sister-in-law has a 06 Solara Conv that did not come with the sonar option and the dealer added it. I don't know how much they charged her for labor, but I bet it was worth every penny. Also, I'm sure there are obvious advantages such as Toyota warrantying the system, etc.
  • wrxcstiwrxcsti Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the feedbacks, radman and mommytruck. We have an '05 Odyssey Touring that does the everyday work pretty well. I think I'm a pretty loyal Toyota customer since I've owned many Toyota/Lexus cars and SUV in the past. But with our fourth child on the way, I'm leaning towards a larger SUV for road trips, probably a Denail XL or ESV. Not in any rush to buy right now so will see what happens.
    I will get a price quote on the Toyota system. I bet it will be $1000.
    I called a dealer. It seems so hopeless. They wanted to order a new bumper pre-drilled and it would then need to be painted, etc. They did not even have prices in their computer because the truck was so new.
  • johngalt1johngalt1 Member Posts: 6
    I've been watching this message board for a long time now. I've held off replacing my '03 Sequoia for over one year waiting for its replacement. I feel that I have wasted my time.

I drove the new Sequoia just a few days ago. I was disappointed by the experience. This is just my opinion, but here are a few thoughts on the new model. 1) The big bulbous nose on the hood leaves you feeling like you're driving a work truck. 2) The car drives better than the model it replaces. Much better pick-up and go.
    3) The steering feels too lite. I would like a little better feel for the road 4) The dash panel is a disaster. It felt very cheap and plasticy. The dash doesn't feel balanced aesthitically. The silver plastic is something I would expect in an 80s American car aimed at the high school crowd. The deep wells for the instruments are unappealing and are obstructed by the steering wheel at times. It is very telling that the Toyota web site doesn't show a full picture of the dash in their interior photo section...they know. 5)The transmission stick is like a rectangular block of plastic....it is a rectangular block of plastic.
    6) The car has good usable space. 7) The seats are less comfortable than on the car it replaces. 8) I really expected a little more sense of luxury... I feel like I'm in a tundra pickup, which for 60K isn't what I'd expect.

No offense meant to those that like this vehicle. These are just my opinions. I really wanted to like this new model. I'm now down to a decision between a MB GL and an Escalade or Denali. Good luck to everyone with their decision.
  • healthnuthealthnut Member Posts: 64
    [quote] I'm now down to a decision between a MB GL and an Escalade or Denali. [/quote]

MB GL is narrow and feels like half the size... Sure, if you can deal with a mid-size SUV, then by all means the MB is a reasonable option. It is small and expensive nonethless.

Escalade ESV has good cubic volume, same with the Yukon XL... However, they ALL feel like the same chasis, and they are nothing special either... While you may be dissapointed with the Sequoia, I don't think ANY other full size SUV brings anything special to the table. Escalade gets crap gas mileage and really feels like a frankenstein pimp mobile in my opinion. Expensive also!! Yukon XL? Maybe it might cost a little less than the Sequoia, and may have more internal cubic volume, but it feels like a generic vehicle. The concerns you mention of the Sequoia I would have mentioned about the Denali. Give me a break, they are GENERIC also and are not winning on style or luxury points... I scoured the earth for FULL SIZE SUV replacements and there just aren't any standouts... The Sequoia edges out any other FULL SIZE suv in my opinion. If you can deal with a mid size SUV, then you would have lots of good options, but not full size.