Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    "No offense meant to those that like this vehicle. these are just my opinions."

Well, you know what they say about opinions. The Sequoia is based on the Tundra as the previous generation was so it's to be expected the dash and outside would look like a Tundra.
    :shades:
  • trebor129trebor129 Member Posts: 176
    It feels somewhat truck like to me when I drive it, compared to my minivan. But I wanted some sense of that. I went out of my way to avoid a car-like SUV with limited capability.
  • healthnuthealthnut Member Posts: 64
    I just got off the phone with someone from Princeton Indiana... wives really know how to leak info when there husbands are on the Sequioa design team. Apparently the 2009 is going to have some significant changes... She said just wait until you see it!!
  • amheck1amheck1 Member Posts: 44
    really......I wouldn't have thought they'd do 2 major re-designs like that back to back. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Probably tune up the interior. Wives would not know what a major redesign means.
    Maybe it will be limited to the interior... but she acted like it was major...
    man, seems these trucks are just like electronics and computers. Never a good time to buy and always something newer and better around the corner! :sick:
    true... All you can do is try to get the best deal at the time.
  • gvasudevangvasudevan Member Posts: 43
    I have a 2001 sequoia with 165k on it. I am planning to trade it in for the 2008 platinum. I have two trade in values of 9.5k and 10k.

I drove a limited and found it to be a little more noisy than my sequoia. It rides really well and I drove it on very rough roads and a foot ball field.

It does not have the quality and finish of a GL 450 or the Lexus 470.
    However I really dont care for a very luxurious interior. I want a big, comfortable, powerful vehicle with a flawless drive train and excellent reliablity. I hope that the platinium is a little more quiter.

I am pretty sure that the sequoia will deliver all that and more. If it does as good as my 2001 sequoia (I still have two minds about getting the new one) I would consider myself a very lucky person.
    "The deep wells for the instruments are unappealing and are obstructed by the steering wheel at times."

I like the individual look to the gages and I do have strong opinions on gages. My steering wheel does not obstruct the gages. That is because it is adjustable for tilt and length and I adjusted it for comfort and lack of obstruction.
  • keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    Interesting that Toyota would respond SO quickly. Think about it...this vehicle has only been released for a couple of weeks and they're already addressing concerns? Although let's be honest....if Toyota redoes the dash and fixes it up, they will have brought the best large size SUV for the money, across the entire Sequoia line (SR5 thru Platinum). That's how close I think that the are. The drivetrain and interior flexibility are that good.

Ironically, I was driving my parent's '07 Camry (long story, but my father backed into one of our vehicles so he gave us one of theirs while ours is in the shop) and I kept thinking that if Toyota had put a Camry-ish dash into the Sequoia, it would be vastly superior to what they currently have. And this is comparing a 20K car to a 40-60K vehicle. And this is considering some of the little quality/fit & finish gaffes that I think that my parent's Camry has.
    Don't hold your breath on this one. Toyota is not about to do a major or minor redesign on a vehicle that is selling like hot cakes in its first two weeks of availability. I don't know whose wife you spoke to or friend but they definitely need to stay away from the liquor cabinet! :shades:
    "Think about it...this vehicle has only been released for a couple of weeks and they're already addressing concerns? "

That is not what is theoretically happening. Tooling for 2009 models would have to be designed by now so that the mold makers can make the tool which takes months.

Of course the 2009 design is mostly complete. That is true for all cars, every year.
    "selling like hot cakes"

I see no evidence it is selling well. The dealer I bought mine from had two of them on the lot until I bought it something like two weeks after they arrived. On the other hand, Toyota has just started advertising it. On Christmas I saw a billboard for the first time.

I do like mine and am not complaining about the interior now that I only spent $43K and now that I have Graphite -- the best inside color.

I have owned a 1999 Mercedes but don't have a lot of experience with Lexus and Infinity so I am not really in tune with how nice other interiors are. The Sequoia is way nicer than my Hummer H1 inside.
  • regrahamregraham Member Posts: 26
    I have been following everyone's comments with interest and have made a few myself over the last couple of months. I am from Canada and prices/info won't be released until end of Jan. so I am enjoying the comments/pictures on US web sites.
    Currently my wife & I own 2 Denalis, a 2002 SUV and 2007 pickup with 6.2L and 6 spd auto (a terrific vehicle). Providing Canadian pricing is on par, or close to US pricing now that our dollar is about par, I am considering replacing our SUV with the new Platinum edition. All 3 of our children drive Toyotas ('01 Sequoia, '04 Tundra and '07 4-Runner) and speak highly of them so I am considering trying a Toyota this time. I have almost always driven GM's.

My main concerns are like several others. Disappointed XM radio is an accessory (it is std. eq. on my '07 Denali PU). When ordered from the factory as an accessory does it work OK and is it completely incorporated into the existing audio system?
    I also hoped the Platinum interior might have been more luxurious than a Tundra Limited interior. Has anyone seen the "molded dash" accessory? Does it improve the interior appearance or does it look tacky? I would appreciate comments from buyers who purchase this accessory, after they get it (it may not be available until Jan).
    Has anyone tried the TRD Performance Air Intake ($475 accessory)? Does it improve the performance enough to justify the cost? Finally, I too wish the 2nd row bench was an option or the console could be removed without disconnecting the heated seats. My '02 SUV has rear heated seats and they sure are a great feature in our northern climate.
    I am happy a black exterior is available with sand beige interior in the Platinum as that is the color I am considering.
  • toddhmtoddhm Member Posts: 35
    They do not appear to be selling very well in my area. My dealer received 5 new Sequoias (2 Platinums, 2 Limiteds and an SR5) over 3 weeks ago and has yet to sell a single one. Another smaller dealer nearby got in 2 (a Limited and a SR5) about the same time and has not sold either one of them. It is rather amusing how when I went to check them out the day after they arrived, the salesman told me how they would all be sold by the end of that day! Typical car salesmen BS.

I hope the previous poster is correct about the changes for the 2009 model as I have decided to delay my purchase until next fall. Hopefully a smart key and push button start are in the cards as well. Also, I wish Toyota would offer Onstar, as it has come in very handy on our 2 current Acura vehicles.
    They might be talking about an extended length model. Don't expect a new dash or anything like that. It takes Toyota 18 months from design to production. Like I said before someone has been hitting the liquor cabinet.
    :surprise:
    Maybe the area of the country you're in. In my store the first three were sold in the first two days. Right now we have an SR5, one Limited, and one Platinum on the lot. Just arrived. What may be happening at the stores you mentioned is they may still have quite a few 07's. At my store the 08's are parked behind the dealership as we have about 4 07's left that are in the front where we would normally park all the Sequoias. I did move the SR5 to the front lot today and in no time had a customer looking at it.
    Anything that goes in less than 30 days is considered selling like hot cakes. A 30 day supply is normal for Toyota dealers, domestics usually have a 90 day supply.
  • gvasudevangvasudevan Member Posts: 43
    I am in new england and put down a deposit for a black platinium. Most dealers have only 1 vehicle for which they expect to get MSRP.

Most dealers expect to get more vehicles in a week or so. So far I have not seen 1 vehicle on the road.

These vehicles are not selling because they do not have any to sell and dealers are hoping to get full price.
    "Has anyone tried the TRD Performance Air Intake ($475 accessory)? Does it improve the performance enough to justify the cost?"

This is the K&N intake system:

http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/77-9031.pdf

If you believe their chart, it adds 13 HP to a 5.7 liter 2007 Tundra. The chart to me is suspect because they tested it at 110 degrees rather than 68 degrees as would be standard atmospheric conditions. You can buy this kit for $300 online but I would not do so for only a 3% HP gain. If it was at most $150 it would be worth it for me. Their price is like $100 for each 1% gain ($22.39 per HP). On the other hand, going from the 4.7 to 5.7 liter engine gains 38% and is about $1100, which is $29 per 1% gain ($10.48 per HP).

The Toyota system is probably similar in HP gain.
    http://www.gmc.com/yukonhybrid/index.jsp

If this thing gets 21 city that is impressive.
    Anyone ever used a wood grain dash kit to "spiff" up the interior? Or do these look stuck on and make it look worse?
    Looks like nothing new for the January incentives on the 2008 models at least in my area. Still trying to move the 2007's, it seems
  • awj123awj123 Member Posts: 7
    I would agree on all points, but I still struggle with the dash layout and interior finish. If the materials and layout were similar to the Land Cruiser, then a Platinum Sequoia would be parked in my garage right now.

Lucky for you that you're not in the market for a new SUV now. I have heard rumblings (probably on this forum) that Toyota had received enough negative feedback on the interior layout and trim on the Sequoia so that they took out all the interior pictures from their initial promotional material. Pehaps it's worth waiting until the '09 model comes out next fall and see if the interior gets an upgrade.
    Just wait 10 years. There will be all sorts of cool things out.
  • toyota4lifetoyota4life Member Posts: 53
    Anyone claiming any dealer has 5 sitting on their lot that's BS,i drove by RH toyota here in maryland and there are none,not one sitting on the lot
  • dijital1dijital1 Member Posts: 8
    Longo Toyota (longotoyota.com) has 27 of them on their lot.
    why not say 100 ?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Because when you search inventory there, 27 show up. VINs and everything.
    That would be awesome to pick from 27 of them.
    Are we talking 07 or 08? if you say 08 i call BS,or computer glitch :mad:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    They all say 2008 in the listing - can you decode the vins and get the model year?

When I check the first vin in the listing, the tenth digit is "8" which should stand for 2008. US built in Princeton Indiana?

Maybe they are allocated to Longo so they have the vins, but no delivery?
  • jabcjabc Member Posts: 20
    I, too, are disappointed by 2008 Sequoia's small trunk space behind 3rd row.
    It's 2nd row legroom is also behind the competitors' (eg. Armada, etc).
    I was planning to replace my 02 Odyssey with 08 Sequoia.
    Now I am reluctantly considering a new Sienna as the replacement.
    I got 4 kids.
    If I buy a 08 Sequoia, in order to make it work for a long road trip with a lot of luggages, I have to fold down 1/3 or 2/3 of the 3rd row seat.
    My kids will not be very happy about it ...........
    My dealership's GM showed me an accessory booklet for the '08 that had a wood-grain stick on thingey for the spray-painted silver part of the dash all around the driver. Both the wife and I were not sold on it. Our thought is that it just introduces yet another color and texture to the interior. Besides, the Sequoia interior just does not look like a wood interior. It still is a work truck interior. Reminds me of the saying, "You can put lipstick on a pig, but..."
    "I, too, are disappointed by 2008 Sequoia's small trunk space behind 3rd row. "

Yeah, my wife makes my dog be back there. He is 85 lbs and there is plenty of room for him in my Honda minivan but the Sequoia is rather tight. I would gladly give up 6 inches of legroom divided among the other rows to have 6 more inches behind the 3rd row.

I was going to get a Sienna AWD but we needed real 4WD to pull our boat out of a sandy non-paved ramp. When the Honda lease is up, I plan to replace it with an AWD minivan like the Sienna unless Honda has one by then.

I never thought about luggage back there. It is rather small for that.

Oh by the way -- I drove the Honda for the first time after only driving the Sequoia. When I was turning around in my driveway I thought my tires were out of air until I checked them and they were at 42 psi. Turns out the Sequoia has much more boost in the power steering. I prefer the Honda way but I was caught off guard after getting used to the Toyota,
    "My dealership's GM showed me an accessory booklet for the '08 that had a wood-grain stick on thingey"

If I knew how to easily pop off the silver part I would paint it black. I am fairly sure I could do a pro job of it. Part of the trick is to put some 300 watt quartz lights on it and get it to 120 degrees (use IR temp gun) so the paint dries on contact and does not run.

The nice thing about my SR5 is that the gear-selector has no silver on it. It is all black. The Platinum one I test drove had silver, black, and red rock on the gear selector! One color beats three!
    That would look better...black instead of the spray paint silver.
    I thought about getting a hard rubber ink roller and black paint and at least doing the tops of the silver around the gages. That alone would help a lot.
    hmmmm....I might need to go and look at the dealer again. I can just see my wife's mouth drop as I take black paint and an ink roller to her 60K truck :)
  • wrxcstiwrxcsti Member Posts: 21
    If Toyota is going to make an extended length model, I'd be very interested. I wonder what the chance is for that to happen?
  • toddhmtoddhm Member Posts: 35
    An extended length Sequoia that matches the Suburban/Yukon XL/ESV in size would be perfect for my needs. Sign me up if this is true....
    Stay tuned. Toyota will be making a dually Tundra and also a diesel to compete with Chevy and Ford.
    With the current seat layout, I also would have wanted a longer one. However, I would settle for less room in the 3rd row and more room behind the 3rd row. They made a TON of toom in the 3rd row and I am not sure why. Whoever we stick back there will be a kid or someone with low seniority who can deal with it. They made it with huge legroom which is wasted on us. But where does the luggage/dog go?
  • eagle34eagle34 Member Posts: 22
    I own an 07 Tundra and love it but I paid 28600 for it. I can not believe Toyota did not make any attempt to upgrade the interior on the Sequoia. For 58k I would expect much more than this. Even the Tahoe is more luxurious than the Toyota. Trying to tack on a cheesy plastic faux wood dash is an insult. I was really looking forward to the release of this vehicle but after looking at one I did not even ask to drive it. Tundra inside for twice the price. Bought a QX 56 which is more along the lines of Lexus. Totally blows the Sequoia away for 5000 less.
    The space in the third row was intentional. Previous owners complained about having only children sit back there, now full size adults can sit back there comfortably.
    Well the previous owners screwed me over then as we lost all the cargo space which matters much more to me than the adult who will sit in my 3rd row three times a year.
  • ratomlinsonratomlinson Member Posts: 26
    I would like to have some opinions on the red rock interior. Who has it and what are your thoughts?
    You can fold the third row seats and there's also a cubbyhole on the floor you can use for storage.
  • de77de77 Member Posts: 40
    The Sequoia sepcifically is not recommended by CR?
  • sirrafsirraf Member Posts: 55
    I agree with you, I am also very disappointed overall in the new generation Sequoia. The interior is too light for an SUV that is used to haul stuff and people. The color choices are terrible and should include at least one dark color that would at least hide some dirt and grime. The Platinum does have the Redrock interior but who wants basketball interior... if you havn't seen the Redrock interior it is UGLY.

When you pay this much for an SUV you would expect some extras to be standard. The Limited does not come with memory seats, power tilt nor does it have adjustable brake/gas pedals. These should be standard on this vehicle.

The exterior is plain... even the Platinum which is the Top of the line is nothing special to look at. The only way that you can tell if it's a Platinum is by the name plate on the C pillar. You should be able to tell the difference betweem the SR5 and Platinum without having to look at the name plate.

Even though the Sequoia is plain looking and does not have the features I expect I still want one but... I am 6'3" and there is no head room with the sunroof. The seat does not lower and I am trying to purchase a Limited without a sunroof and with 2nd row bench seating. The dealerships in Arizona have tried to order the Limited without the sunroof with no success. I was wondering if anyone has tried to order one without the sunroof, if so what state (region) are you in and what dealership have you used?