Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    aybe you should drop $50+K on the Yukon Hybrid and tell us how you like replacing all those batteries in 50,000miles after the warranty expires.

Fatboy, All GM Vehicles now come with a 100,000 mile warranty
  • toddhmtoddhm Member Posts: 35
    A lot of manufacturers seem reluctant to put HIDs/Xenons on their trucks and SUVs. My guess is that because trucks and SUVs sit higher than cars, the HIDs have the potential to blind oncoming car drivers, possibly causing accidents and creating a liability issue for the manufactuers who do not want to be sued.
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    According to Edmunds, here's the GM warranty on the Tahoe/Yukon hybrid:

Basic: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.
    Drivetrain: 5 yr. / 100,000 mi.
    Hybrid Component: 8 yr. / 100,000 mi.
    Roadside: 5 yr. / 100,000 mi.
    Rust: 6 yr. / 100,000 mi.

It'll be curious to see if GM categorizes the batteries as part of the Basic, Drivetrain or Hybrid coverage. The normal starting battery is covered as part of the Basic warranty and even then you only get a pro-rated value for the remaining life of the battery. My guess is that the batteries themselves will be under the Basic coverage while the actual electric "booster" motor on the tranny is covered under the drivetrain or hybrid warranty.

I can just the hear conversation with the dealership at 50K miles now..."Hybrid owner: my fuel economy is down and I think the batteries aren't holding their full charge...I want my batteries replaced under the warranty....Dealer: I'm sorry sir, but the batteries are operating properly...it must be the way you're operating the vehicle...you're accelerating too hard".

Either way, what do you think the resale value is going to be based on the second owner having to pony up thousands of $ for the replacement batteries?

I see GM (and other car makers) making as much off replacement battery sales as they do off the original sale of a hybrid vehicle. Of course the primary owners of hybrid vehicles are going to be left holding the bag as the resale value plummets to a number that reflects the used value of the vehicle minus the replacement cost of a new set of batteries.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The Sequoia is based on the Tundra, hence the same dashboard layout.
  • keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    Right-understand that, but there is still the issue of trying to sell a 60K SUV with a 25K truck interior in it. My point was just that if the LC interior was in the 60K Sequoia Platinum edition (instead of the lipstick on the pig 25K Tundra dash), we'd be definitely purchasing a Sequoia.
  • gvasudevangvasudevan Member Posts: 43
    The MSRP was 73k and he was willing to sell at 65k. The MSRP of the platinum was 59600 and he was willing to sell at 55k
    We also sell 45k Tundras and no one complains about the same dash. ;)
    Two thoughts there....
    First- there is a sizeable jump in price from 45K to 55/60K for a loaded Platinum. You're changing your comparison group from Nissan/Ford/Chevy to Cadillac/Denali/Infiniti/Mercedes. Big difference there.

Second- The Tundra is a truck and while I'm sure there are people who buy them "just to have", there are less families buying Tundras as the family station wagon as families buying a Seqouia as their family station wagon. Different uses bring different expectations.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Does anyone know what the Toyota Electronic Modulated Suspension (H-TEMS) is on the Platimum? Does that include the rear air suspension? My reason for asking is that I plan to do some very heavy towing. What's the maximum allowable tongue weight (assuming a weight distributing hitch)? Has anyone here done any heavy towing with an '08 Sequoia yet? Thanks in advance for your help.
    The Sequoia is generations ahead of the Escalade in terms of engine technology and drive train. The Toyota will also be far superior to the Escalade in terms of reliability and refinement.

Yes the Escalade has a nicer dash and is defnitely a better looking car

Ultimately your choice will depend on what your preferences. I would rather prefer a car that has the qualities of the Sequoia.
    "Does anyone know what the Toyota Electronic Modulated Suspension (H-TEMS) is on the Platimum? Does that include the rear air suspension? My reason for asking is that I plan to do some very heavy towing. What's the maximum allowable tongue weight (assuming a weight distributing hitch)? Has anyone here done any heavy towing with an '08 Sequoia yet? Thanks in advance for your help."

The 2wd Platinum (with H-TEMS) has a tow rating of 9100lbs and the 4wd version has a rating of 8800lbs. Generally you would want between 10 & 15% of the towed vehicle's weight on the tongue of the trailer. http://www.etrailer.com/faq_trailertowtips.aspx

There is no such thing as a vehicle tongue weight rating as its a function of the overall vehicle's payload rating and how much load is in the vehicle versus on the tongue. To be on the conservative side, you would generally not want your vehicles load plus the tongue weight to exceed the vehicle's payload rating. In the case of the 2wd Platinum that would be 1330 lbs.
  • golfgti4789golfgti4789 Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2007 Tundra, and although there isnt a specific VSC off button, you can still shut it down completely. You first, push the traction control button off, then right after that, hold it again for about 5 seconds. The VSC off light should appear right next to the traction control light. This procedure must be done when when the car is stopped.
  • fshifshi Member Posts: 57
    it is a joke that you mention prius and tahoe in the same post, does anyone cross shop these two? I care green, but not to the extreme to sacrifice capability. Tahoe is the best compromise as I see it.

As you mention MB, did we talk in tahoe's forum before? hehe, old friend.
    I was hoping that the factory towing hitch would be labeled with two maximum tongue weights...one for a weight carrying hitch, and the other for a weight distributing hitch, and/or there would be a mention of this in someone's owners manual. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Does anyone know what the H-TEMS system on the Platinum is? And can you still get the rear air suspension with it?

Also, does anyone know why the tow rating is so different for an SR5 versus Limited versus Platimum? The brochure indicates that the total vehicle weight is not that much different between them. With the 5.7 engine the SR5 is rated at 9600, but the Limited and Platimum are rating at only 9100 and 8800 respectively.
  • scaff3900scaff3900 Member Posts: 1
    I have been told that even though there is an option for 20" wheels on the the 2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited, that in my region it is not available from Toyota as of yet. I live in CT. My dealership took the order, but I have been told this from other dealerships. I have been waiting for the vehicle for about 5 weeks. Does anyone know if this statement is true?
    The referemce to the Prius was definitely a joke.... just making the point that buying a vehicle primarily because it has the right image is a little ridiculous IMO. However I recognize that many people buy their vehicles to give their neighbors the right "image" and in fact the car companies sell their products based on image.

Just not my approach to buying a vehicle, but I guess it works for others. Image is alot less important to me than it seems to be for others (or then it was to me when I was younger). I'm more interested in the features and benefits and do they meet my needs or wants.

I don't think I've ever been on the Tahoe forum, although it is possible.
    It's never been a comparison between Mercedes, Escalade,Infiniti, etc., that's what we have Lexus for. The Sequoia was always meant to be a competitor to the Ford Expedition, Chevy Tahoe/Suburban which it has beat my a mile. It's certain folks that always compare Toyota to luxury or semi luxury vehicles and we end up with Toyota being a better value overall.
    :shades:
  • vernschillingevernschillinge Member Posts: 66
    Has anyone been successful with XM radio via the factory JBL system (i.e. not aftermarket) with an '08 Sequoia? There is a $469 Tuner & antenna option (RX6), but I have yet to hear of anyone with XM radio in the new Sequoia.
  • samcemsamcem Member Posts: 5
    This morning I hit 375 miles on my new Sequoia and the check engine light went on! I have a service appointment tomorrow and I hope it is something simple.
    :sick:
    I respectfully disagree on both accounts.

Lexus has no comparable vehicle to the Sequoia. In fact, I think that I've seen Toyota marketing attempt to make the link btwn the Platinum being "Lexus-like".

While there are obviously many ways to draw the parameters for a comparison group, many of us use the price. Making that assumption, the comparison group for a Sequoia Platinum is the Mercedes, Escalade, QX56, Navigator, etc. Value is then measured in many different manners as well, and Toyota has some advantages and some distinct disadvantages. Those have been well documented in these threads.
    The Sequoia is generations ahead of the Escalade in terms of engine technology and drive train. The Toyota will also be far superior to the Escalade in terms of reliability and refinement.

Can you elaborate on the first statement? Both have similar HP/torque figures and 6 speed autos.

You won't be able to elaborate on the last statement since that is purely subjective and clearly biased based upon your perception.
  • kjshankjshan Member Posts: 5
    Which model has the better use of the third row? For that matter, what full size SUVs have a good third row seat option? I have a Volvo XC90, and we have quickly outgrown the use of the third row. Why do these kids keep growing?
    The toyota engine with dual overhead camshafts on each cylinder bank makes almost the same power as the GM pushrod motor with half a liter less displacement. The toyota motor recommends regular unleaded, the GM motor recommends premium. Suffice to say the GM motor will likely not make the advertised power numbers on regular gas as the ECU will retard time at the first sign of engine knock. The toyota motor is also more fuel efficient, albeit marginally. The toyota motor and drivetrain is more refined from a NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) perspective.
  • rtribblertribble Member Posts: 45
    The Toyota also has variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust.
    We looked extensively at the Lexus, Toyota, Mercedes and Escalade.
    The third row seats in all but the 2008 Sequoia, Lexus 570 and Mercedes Gl are worthless for any size above toddler.
    The Mercedes is certainly a nice truck but to get it equipped right you will have it up around $72,000 msrp. And the maintenance would be very expensive and reliability not too great.
    If money were not an object there is not any doubt that the new Lexus 570 would have been our choice. Real nice.
    The Escalade had an awsum interior (except for the third row seat) and lots of "bling" if that your thing, but they depreciate more than any of the others we looked at.
    The Denali was nice and seems to hold it's resale better than the Escalade but was noisy and again no useable third row seat. None of the GMs have Blue-Tooth.
    We eventually decided on the Sequoia as it had everthing the new Lexus had (although not as opulant) with lots of room and great third row seat that folds flat.
    We have about 400 miles on it and it has gotten 17 mpg with 15/85 mix in town and highway. I'm certain it will get better than 18 with just highway miles.
  • rtribblertribble Member Posts: 45
    Sequoia has due to the change to independent rear suspension. If money is not a concern you might check out the new Lexus 570 as it now also has an independent rear suspension. LandCruiser may follow suit.
    "If money is not a concern you might check out the new Lexus 570 as it now also has an independent rear suspension. LandCruiser may follow suit. "

Actually, the LX570 retains a solid axle in the rear. It also does not have a 3rd row seat that folds flat into the floor. Of the large Toyota SUVs, only the Sequoia has an independent rear suspension with fold flat 3rd row seats.

Given that the LX570 is a newly redesigned vehicle and that the LC is the same design, its not very likely that either will get an independent rear suspension anytime soon (if ever).

"The four-link trailing-arm rear suspension retains the solid-axle configuration for strength and durability. Camber rigidity is increased, as is bearing rigidity, and all bushings are enlarged"

http://www.toyoland.com/news/?p=95
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    possibly causing accidents and creating a liability issue for the manufactuers who do not want to be sued.

I hate those lights and think you are right. I high beam them every time they approach. Seems the BMW lights are the worst for blinding oncoming cars. They should be outlawed and soon.
    "If money were not an object there is not any doubt that the new Lexus 570 would have been our choice. Real nice."

I'm curious if folks would actually choose the LX570 over the Sequoia if money were no object? In reality the LX570 is a somewhat dated albeit nicely executed design. It is far smaller inside than a Sequoia. It does not have an independent rear suspension and therefore does not have a fold flat rear seat. The 2nd row leg is far less than the Sequoia and the LX does not have the sliding 2nd row or reclining 3rd row seats. The 3rd row seats are described as comparable to many of the smaller x-over SUVs in this article http://www.cars.com/go/features/autoshows/vehicle.jsp?vehicletype=production&aut- oshowyear=2007&vehicle=production_lexus_lx570&make=Lexus&model=LX+570

The difference in price was not a significant factor in my buying decision and if I thought the LX was a better design I would have bought it.

Its my guess that Toyota purposefully kept the Platinum Sequoia's interior somewhat "pedestrian" to avoid the complete wipe-out of the newly launched LX570. Who in their right mind would buy the LX if they could get the Sequoia with a premium interior with "babinga wood & a craftsman leather interior"? My opinion is....no one. Even with the "crawl" capabity advantage which will never be used by the average LX owner.

I think this is also why they decided not to launch a Lexus "Sequoia". If they did, it would have eliminated LX sales, just as I think the Sequoia is likely to wipe out the minimal remaining LC sales in the US. The Japanese do not want to see the US demise of the LX or the LC (yet) because these products are made in Japan...employing Japanese. The Sequoia is made for Americans primarily by Americans. Unfortunately that may mean that a high end Sequoia interior is not likely any time soon, if it is at the expense of the LX/LC Japanese Platform in the US. Much of the higher price of the LC and LX is directly due to this vehicle being imported vs being made domestically.

Just my opinion without facts to support the view, however I think my view will be born out if they avoid giving the Sequoia a high end interior. If they do upgrade the interior (and I hope they do), it will result in the LX/LC platform being solely destined for sale ROW and the Sequoia will become a solely American product. In reality they should have made this decision when they launched the Sequoia and they should have also killed the new LX/LC launch in the US. Sales of these vehicles are dismal in the US and not likely to improve with the launch of the lower priced, higher value Sequoia.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The Japanese do not want to see the US demise of the LX or the LC (yet) because these products are made in Japan.

My final choice buying a Sequoia was cemented when I learned they were made in Indiana. I am a "Made in USA" buyer as much as possible. That and the Sequoia was a nicer driving vehicle than the Denali. The engine transmission were smoother than the Mercedes GL. With better 2nd row leg room.
    That's not a valid comparison since the QX is outdated and there's rebates and incentives to be had on them. Same as the GM products.
    So Lexus has the LX which is nothing more than a gussied up LandCruiser with a year longer warranty and loaner cars. Whooptie doo!
    Try getting the Mercedes for the price of the Sequoia when both are equipped the same and look at your cost to own. Sequoia will come up on top. As I said before, this was meant to compete with the Expedition, Tahoe/Suburban, etc. not the luxury brands. But if you want to compare to the luxury brands then it gives more cache to the Sequoia. ;)
    When the first generation was in the design/production stage I was told by a factory rep the it would eventually replace the LandCruiser in the US. It hasn't happened yet but I believe it will disappear from the Toyota lineup and remain only in the Lexus brand. As hd said, LC sales are minimal in the US and declining.
    :shades:
    '
    I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the LC in the US within 3 years and drop the LX in 5 years. The LC won't be replaced and the LX will be replaced with a high-end version of the Sequoia.

The nominal advantage the LC/LX has over the new Sequoia in off-road capabilities is of minimal difference to the buyer's of these vehicles as most new buyer's of a new LC/LX are not going to take the $70+K vehicle off-road. I also think that based on the Sequoia's new drivetrain there is very little difference in off-road capability between the LC/LX and the new Sequoia. Even their weights are now comparable. Platinum Sequoia = 6045lbs & LX570 = 5995lbs.
    When you say the QX is "outdated", what exactly do you mean? Granted the overall design of the QX is 4 years old, but does that make it "outdated"? And with the rebates and incentives that you mentioned (and dealer discounting) the QX and Platimum are reasonably comparable pricewise. I would certainly think that most potential Platinum buyers would be looking at the QX as an alternative and vice-versa. Each one has plusses and minuses when you compare them.
    Scaff, as of about 2 weeks ago the Toyota dealer in Flemington NJ has a Limited with 20" wheels on the lot.
    I'm in a such a dilemma. I need to buy the wife a new car and she wants a full size SUV. I know the Sequoia is a great vehicle from a powertrain/driventrain, interior room/flexibility, reliability and depreciation (or lack thereof), but I simply CANNOT get over the lack of a luxury feel in the Platinum. If we're going to buy this vehicle, its going to be a Platinum with all the bells and whistles. We're the type of family that buys a car and keeps it for 8-10 years. As such, I don't want to look back and say, "man, I wish I had got the platinum so I could have the memory seats or the power tilt/telescope wheel etc.". The issue is that a fully loaded Platinum, even with superb negotiation is a $56K vehicle at best.

My wife and I like the red rock interior, but just can't get over the fact that the car (dash especially) does not feel luxurious. Additionally, the mish mash of painted silver pieces all over make the interior feel like an after thought. Even the door handles look sooo cheap (their size almost tends to exaggerate the cheapness)...couldn't they have used chrome door handle pulls? So, each time we ask ourselves, is this an interior befitting of a $56K vehicle?? We flat run into a wall. I have repeatedly asked the wife "do you like the car? You know its the top choice in terms of powertrain, interior flexibilit etc. " and she replies "yes, I know, but for $56K+ it just doesn't feel like a luxurious vehicle. If we're paying that much money, I wish it felt a little more luxurious. I even like the interior of the Armada better".

I'm so tired of the mental dilemma because I know that the vehicle is superb from every other angle. At this juncture, I've simply decided to put the car buying thing off b/c I can't stand the mental anguish. In the meantime, I'm driving a 14 year old Honda Accord with almost 200K miles because I had to give my wife my car (G35) as we now have a 14 month old and her safety is paramount to me. So, I continue to suffer in silence.

The argument that the vehicle price has a $24K spread between a base SR5 and a loaded platinum does not justify why the interior of the Platinum is the way it currently is. Could I love this car the way it is at $40K? Probably. Can I love it at $55K+, I'm having a really really hard time? Heck, even if they just get rid of all the silver painted surfaces and made them a flat black or textured black, that would do wonders. Some have said that the grey interior works better with the current layout....I personally can't stand the grey interior.

Herein lies the dilemma!!

Come on Toyota, how much more would it cost to outfit your newest top of the line model that would befit a vehicle with a "Platinum" designation!!!
  • eagle34eagle34 Member Posts: 22
    I love the Sequoia too. I have a Tundra and the drivetrain is awesome. But if you're spending mid 50's on an suv then you need to look around. The interior of the Sequoia kept me from buying it. We bought for the same reasons. Wife's car, roomy, safety, smooth ride and great features. Bought a QX because it is all the Sequoia is with great luxury to boot. QX interior is new for 08. Much improved. Everything is standard except dvd. Great value. Interior of Toyota is fine but not for 50k. Interior of QX is comparable to benz and lexus for much less. Warranty is better too. Free XM for 3years, better nav system. Wife loves it. The Toyota is a great vehicle in sr5 or stripped limited trim but interior has no business in the luxury sector.
    The Toyota has a very modern dual overhead cam aluminium engine. The Escalade has a pushrod engine. Most japanese and european vehicles stopped pushrod engines atleast 10 years ago mainly because of their poor efficiency, noise
    and reliability issues.
  • toddhmtoddhm Member Posts: 35
    Vern, while I do not disagree with your comments, I think the harsh reality of the matter is that the cost benchmark associated with luxury vehicles has risen.

If you desire a true luxury vehicle these days, the price of admission is $70k and above in my opinion. Some models that come to mind are the Porsche Cayenne, Land Rover Range Rover, Mercedes GL, Audi Q7, etc. Even a loaded out Cadillac Escalade ESV MSRPs for $75k. Granted, these vehicles are not as well-rounded as the Sequoia, but they exude luxury nonetheless.

Besides, Toyota has never been a luxury brand. That's why they created Lexus. I personally think that the Sequoia Platinum is worth $56K. But I would gladly pay $75K - $80k for a Lexus version of the Sequoia if they were to produce one.
  • jabcjabc Member Posts: 20
    I think Edmund's spec information on the passenger and cargo space may be mistaken.

From Toyota's e-brochure :
    Legroom (F/2nd/3rd) : 38/35.4/34.5
    Cargo Space (2nd&3rd down/3rd down/3rd up) : 120.8/79.4/28.4

From Edmund :
    Legroom (F/2nd/3rd) : 42.5/36.4/35.3
    Cargo Space (2nd&3rd down/3rd down/3rd up) : 120.1/66.6/18.9

Some major discrepancy on the cargo space ...........
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think you may be looking at the specs for the 2007 Sequoia.

Here's a comparison of the 07 and 08:

Vehicle Comparison
  • trebor129trebor129 Member Posts: 176
    I think for $56K and given that Toyota spent the budget on the large size, high end powertrain, etc... you cannot expect it to also have luxury. It would have to be $75K -- another $15,000.

But yet I understand all of your feelings and that is why, in the end, I changed my mind and got a loaded SR5. At $43K it made me have no lingering regrets about it not being nicer inside. Well almost none. My $30K Honda minivan is still nicer inside.

I do miss the power rear hatch but that is all that comes to mind. A Sienna AWD would be a better general purpose vehicle for nearly everyone.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    That pushrod engine that you dislike has a better mileage rating that the 5.7l Sequoia and is also quite reliable. In addition, it is more space efficient.

Overhead cam engines have their advantages, but don't discount pushrod engines. They can be just as reliable and they are smaller overall for the same displacement.
    A pushrod design can even be better than an OHV design. It all depends on the design and the quality of the parts. Just look at the Chevy Corvette which still retains a pushrod design because it is extremely reliable, lighter, less complex and stills delivers overwhelming power not matched by some of the most exotic OHV production engines on the planet.

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/8025/the-pushrod-engine-finally-gets-its-due- .html?al=156
    Just to be clear...when I say luxurious, I'm not expecting the interior of an LX570 or a Range Rover. I understand the concept of "you get what you pay for"and what a $75k - $80K vehicle ought to look like. Its just that I don't think you get what you pay for, in terms of interior design, in the Sequioa Platinum for $56k.

Please understand, this is not a case of my trying to have my cake and it it too. Let me elaborate -- I'm just expecting something more organized, well thought out, with a dab of wood trim in strategic locations. Forgetting even the redesigned interior of the QX56 for a minute, even the redesigned dash layout of the Armada is a lot nicer than the Sequoia. I think Toyo tried to do something unconventional -- split colored dash (to segregate driver vs. passenger), gauge pods for the instrument, plastic silver trim pieces etc. and it just hasn't worked out well. I think getting rid of the painted silver (especially around the instrument cluster) or at least using it liberally, introducing a few chrome accents (again judiciously) and use of some wood trim (door panels, center console maybe) would do wonders for the interior.

Here's what really kills me -- in the face of rising gas prices and a dwindling auto segment, I strongly suspect Toyota WILL ultimately rework or at least improve the interior. Its just that it won't happen for the next 2 years or so, at which time, I'll feel completely shafted by the fact that I just coughed up $55K+ and now I have a dash design that is outdated and replaced with something nicer. This is what keeps me from taking the plunge.
    Agreed, each have their positives and negatives.

Packaging, weight and simplicity of design are some of the key positives of the pushrod motors. The ability to rev and more precise control over valve timing are come of the positives of the overhead cam design. GM certainly have proved to the world how far they can push the envelope on the pushrod engine with the Corvette. Frankly, I'm more impressed by the Z06 motor than I am the ZR1, because the ZR1 achieves its output via forced induction, while the Z06 can actually rev and make power up to 7,000 rpm.

All this being said, besides the domestics almost every manufacturer has recognized the benefits of the ohv design and moved in this direct. Heck, even the CTS 3.6L engine (GM's "high feature" motor) is now an overhead valvetrain design.

Bottomline, this is a point less "mine is better than yours" argument that will go nowhere.
    "I'm in a such a dilemma."

Vern, if you are satisfied with the exterior, drivetrain and and interior layout but turned off by the "level of interior luxury", you might consider upgrades to the interior yourself.

If you wre prepared to spend $15K more for a more luxurious interior you might consider spending a $1-2K to upgrade the interior yourself. I don't know if you'd be interested in upgraded wood or "molded wood dash kits" but there are some nice options such as sending out your interior dash components to be upgraded that look pretty cool and would certainly help the Sequoia's interior stand out as luxurious.

Here's a few sites:

http://www.wooddashexperts.com/customer/home.php
    http://www.dashkitspecialties.com/?gclid=CKn0z5PYipECFQwsOAodqF1DHg
    http://www.exoticwoodtrim.com/?gclid=CPj38pzYipECFQwsOAodqF1DHg
    http://www.nycdashes.com/
    Gotcha. I think that I almost understand it since you were able to explain it in very easy to understand (dumbed down enough for me!!!) and "average" person terms. Now, I follow your statement. I often hear the term "pushrod" when describing the GM engines and it is usually preceded by one of these terms- "old", "tried and true", "bullet proof". So it is obviously older technology.
    Thanks again!
    I'm not sure what he means by "outdated" either.

Consider...
    The Armada/QX both have a brand new hard-disk drive navigation unit
    Both have a 9GB hard drive so you can rip your cd's right to it
    Both have a memory card slot to play music off of
    Both have keyless entry and keyless "go"...ie no need for a key to get moving
    The QX has HID headlights

Is that outdated? All of these features are not found on any level of the Sequoia.

Mack...you're sounding like a car salesperson here ;)
    Try to be a bit more objective and not so over the top with your descriptors.
    Thanks. My sense is I'll ultimately swallow real hard and buy the car on all of its other merits (which are many, I might add). It just pains me to see the interior and "toys" offered in the QX56 for the same money. My practical side will ultimately prevail due to the merits of the powertrain and drivetrain vs. the QX. After all, what ultimately matters (or should) is how a vehicle drives.
    The only major manufacturers who are installing pushrod engines are Chevy and Chrysler. The reason why the other players stopped making pushrod engines and spent billions on new engines (including Ford) is because they are outdated, heavy, noisy and less efficient.

We would argue about the pros and cons about these engines but ultimately it is a question of money. Right now GM does not have the resources to invest in new engines.