Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Trooper II 4WD to 2WD Conversion

jcscottjcscott Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Isuzu
For a number of reasons, I am considering removing the front axle, transfer drive shaft and the CV shafts from the hubs. I want to reduce weight and save fuel. The Transfer Drive Shaft has bad u joints and the front axle housing is making noise with oil topped off. The gears in the hubs are defective and I just don't want to spend the money on repairs more than the value of the 1989 Trooper. Has anyone else done this and if so, what did you use to plug the hole in the wheel where the CV Axle went. Thanks, James

Comments

• rgouinrgouin Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 Trooper 3.5 Six with a 5 speed manual and manual Aisin hubs.
    I am having problems with the 4 WD. When I engage the 4X4 dash switch in 4 WD High, it constantly jumps out of gear. However I have no problems with this jumping out of gear when it is in 4 WD low. The 4X4 has not been used that much. I am wondering if anybody else out there has had similar problems, and what might be the cause as well as what did they do to correct the problem. All replies requested and welcomed.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    jcscott,
    I don't know exactly what the parts look like, but if I were trying to plug the hole where the end of the shaft went, I'd make a plug from the removed shaft. Plug both ends by using parts of the axles. Then remove the drive between the transfer case and the front differential and use shaft parts again the plug those holes. With the moving parts removed or disconnected it should be quiet at least.
    To save weight, do you have replacement front end parts from a non-4wd?
    1992 and later Troopers might be able to find genuine Isuzu 2wd Trooper front ends in a junk yard, but I do not recall any of the 1984 - 1991 Troopers ever being offered in 2wd.
  • diesel19diesel19 Member Posts: 3
    all gen 1 troopers where 4wd. from the factory if its a manual trans you mite be abele to take a 2wd trans from a gen2 trooper if the bellhousing is the same. gen 1 troopers in 89 had 2.6 I4 and 2.8 V6 the 2.8 is a g.m. engine. gen2 has 3.2 or 3.5L V6 i think. so they may be different
  • lonewolf11lonewolf11 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE NEVER HAD ANT TROUBLE CHANGING A CLUTCH , BUT I CAN NOT GET THE TRANSFER CASE TO SEPERATE FROM TRANSMISSION ANY IDEAS , 89 TROOPER V6 5SP 4WD 2.8L .
This discussion has been closed.