Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Outlander on Sand

lcovelcove Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Mitsubishi
Hi,
I've just purchased an Outlander here in Australia and was wondering if anyone has driven the Outland on sand/beach? If so how did it go? Did you let the tire presure down? Any info would be good, as there are many places in Oz I would like to explore. We mostly have to travel through deep soft sand before reaching the waters edge and would love to get the "heads up" before taking the plunge.

Comments

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    It's been a long time since I've done any serious 4-wheeling but I'd be curious to know how an Outlander would do. I think lowering tire pressure is always a good idea in sand and I would use 4WD Lock. Let us know how it does!
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • zontarhzontarh Member Posts: 9
    This guy has photos of his on the beach in Australia so I guess he'd be the best person to ask.
    On The Beach

• growwisegrowwise Member Posts: 296
    http://www.nihoncar.com/en/review-344-Mitsubishi+Outlander+2007+Test+Drive%2C+HD- - TV.html
    scroll down the page for HDTV content..Fast forward to the end in the video.. there is some sand action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek6NIv5_3oM
    some amateur video.. I am sure there are plenty of outlander stuff out there on utube
    Cool videos. The second Outie on the beach looks just like mine.
  • lcovelcove Member Posts: 9
    Thanks growwise I have seen those before, I must think like you as the video sites was the first place I looked. I have also read reports of similar suv's on sand and a lot of them have issues, overheating AWD systems, no clearance etc. But, I have not read or seen a real test, soft sand, deep ruts etc.
    I know I'm asking alot but as a habit I always like to know all senarios, good or bad.
  • growwisegrowwise Member Posts: 296
    You aussies have way too much fun... sun, beaches, messing with pommies. Go throw a shrimp on the barbie for me eh? :cry:

btw, not many people know that british expats are called pommies and is derived from POHM (Prisoner of her majesty)? Ironic in'it mate?

Alright enough OT and I aint even brit or from oz.
    I was wondering too if you drive in a low traction situation (sand, etc.) for a long period of time could you damage the 4WD system? I don't see any way too to shut off the traction control, only the stability control. Could the system get overworked, trying to keep the wheels from spinning. I wonder if the 4WD lock would help, already transferring power to the rear wheels.
    Hello, toomanyfumes.
    Yes the traction control can be turned off, The "ASC" controls the traction and stability, so switching it off will shut both systems down. By pressing and holding the ASC button while ignition in the "on" position, according to the instruction manual. When the ASC is off it is displayed in the multi-information display.

And yes I would love to know if driving on sand etc would damage the drive train???
    I have driven on sand before in other vehicles (not mine) and it seems that momentum is the key, so spinning wheels is necassery.

I will put all this theory in practice in time as I'm still running it in, the first service is very soon, I drive a lot of kms (miles for you blokes). Picked it up Friday (brand new) and have booked in the first service for next Monday, it will be overdue by then. I am looking after her and not pushing it but as part of my job (sales) I see a lot of Australia.

Cheers mate!
    I didn't realize the ASC button also shut the traction control off. Good to know, like you said, sometimes a little wheelspin is a good thing.
  • wheeljack359wheeljack359 Member Posts: 2
    I take my 2003 outlander through the beach. if its the xls you wont have any problems!
  • abadlotabadlot Member Posts: 2
    Watch this video to see the Outlander 2.4 MIVEC in sand & mud.
    Summer tires (Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport).
    Nice one dude, geez what a great looking car hey, ha ha, love it.
    "Bring on the off roading videos", I say.
    Lets put these little beasties to the test and video it for all to marvel.
This discussion has been closed.