Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Power Windows

Comments

• zoecozoeco Member Posts: 18
    Thanks so much for the heads up. I will definitely keep your post handy.
  • emmabemmab Member Posts: 43
    This may sound dumb, but how do I know when my warranty is up? I have a 2006 at about 21000 miles. If it goes out of warranty in 2009, how do I find out what month?
    Yes, I am getting paranoid early.
  • jeepboy08jeepboy08 Member Posts: 49
    No, just REALLY squeaky. Well, no my windows are clean, but that isn't the point.

My question is, "WHY?!" Every time it rains, and even when it doesn't rain, my windows squeak like nobody else business. It is not bad at all when the windows are dry, but when it is water is condensing on my windows, or when it rains, it is terrible. Is there any way to fix this problem?
  • gfresh2006gfresh2006 Member Posts: 3
    There's a company called Steiger performance and they make a retro fit fix for this problem that cost around 50 bucks. Their online, look em up. Their solution is a fraction of the 400 bucks the dealer will rip you off for making you buy a new regulator.
    There's a company called Steiger performance and they make a retro fit fix for this problem that cost around 50 bucks. Their online, look em up. Their solution is a fraction of the 400 bucks the dealer will rip you off for making you buy a new regulator.
  • jeepboy08jeepboy08 Member Posts: 49
    So what exactly does this product do?
    First let tell you this is not a problem common to jeep liberties. It's all of them across the bourd. Liberty, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee. The front power windows in the 1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee are notorious for breaking in this manner. The problem is the design of the mechanism used to move the window. There is a bracket which is connected to the window, and it rides up and down in a track inside the door. There is a plastic/nylon piece attached to the bracket which serves as both a guide and also a means to connect the window motor to the bracket via a spiral wrapped cable (the "fuzzy cable") which acts similar to a worm drive. The bracket itself is constructed of 16 gauge stamped steel, it is attached to the window using two steel bolts, and the plastic piece is attached to the bracket using no less than 6 large steel rivets. So far, so good. However, the part that ties all of this stuff together and bears the entire weight of the window is a flimsy piece of plastic, no more than five hundredths of an inch thick! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the point of failure is going to be! (The window and bracket weigh in at just under six and a quarter pounds, and the "felt weight" is bound to be higher than that due to the friction from the track, the window rubbing against the felt and seal, etc. And of course, this is under perfect conditions. With some dirt or ice on the window, the pressures could be considerably higher.)
    The main component of the kit is a repair bracket that bolts to the stock window bracket and replaces the broken portion of the plastic piece. Essentially, it is a powdercoated steel bracket which the stock spiral cable can screw into. In order to install it, the regulator assembly is removed from the vehicle, two rivets are drilled out, and the broken portion of the plastic piece is cut off, which can be done with a utility knife. The replacement bracket is bolted into place (using the hardware included in the kit) which allows the cable to be inserted into it, same as stock. Oh, I was wrong too. the kit is only 39.95 now.
  • dcworlddcworld Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone make a permanent fix for the 2007 Liberty? That website only goes to 2001. Mine has now broken 5 times. I have the extended warranty, but still have to pay a $100 deductable. I am not going to pay them to put the same crap back into my jeep to break again. :confuse:
    But when the dealership fixes the windows, they are not using the proper means to correct the problem once and for all?
    Btw, my poor BIL bought a brand new 2007, and yep, first window already had to be fixed.
    We told him so......
  • lsct86lsct86 Member Posts: 6
    My wife just bought a 2007 Jeep Liberty & they were told ( by me ) to check all 4 windows after they had to fix one ( did they ? I doubt it as it was still under warrenty at the time )
    Now the warrenty is off and now the front window won't stay up .
    Why this isn't a recall is beyond me .

keep me informed please .

from a LAST time jeep buyer .
  • broknlibertybroknliberty Member Posts: 2
    It is with a heavy heart that I report that my last factory-installed regulator went out in my 2006 Liberty this week. All four windows have broken in the 2 years I've had it...one broke just last month! Just like everyone else here, my dealership refuses to acknowledge that it's a problem. They suggested I rub Vaseline inside the rubber seals with a Q-tip to keep the rubber from gripping the window so hard. Seriously? I was also informed that they'll never be recalled because it's "not a safety risk." I really beg to differ with that.

Reading everyone else's posts made my heart absolutely sink. It's hard to believe that Chrysler would turn a blind eye on such an obvious flaw in their product. Needless to say, when my warranty expires in 6 months I don't think I'll be worried anymore. That's because I am selling it.

Good riddance, Jeep. Rhymes with CHEAP for a reason I guess.
    Oh brother Brokn, at least most of us got them to admit it is the regulator.
    Of course, last time they fixed mine and it went bad in one week, they tried to tell me they didnt see any problems.
    My husband stood there almost believing them, but I made them look and they finally replaced the regulator.
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    I am sure that none of you would actually use Vaseline since it eventually dries to a tacky residue. If you must use something, use only silicone spray lubricant. Best method, with the window up use something like a smooth butter knife to create a gap between the inner seal and the glass and use the small tube that comes with the can. Spray downward past the inner seal while moving the gap along the seal all the way across - hopefully getting spray on moving parts inside the door. Do not spray the seal itself - I will just get on the glass.
  • octane3octane3 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 jeep liberty all of my windows just stopped moving and the fuse is good what could it be
  • felinesfelines Member Posts: 4
    I lease a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Leased it in April 2007. July 2007 I had to have the driver's side rear regulator replaced. June 2008 it went again and they replaced it. I just had the passenger front one replaced. You are right they do no acknowledge a problem. I spent 2 days on the phone with the complaint line. I did get them to agree to cover the rental I had but when I asked if they could send the info I needed to provide in an email it was like I was asking for too much. They are mailing me the info. I told them they would be hearing from me if I didn't get it. They said they wanted to know if it happened again. I told them no if but when! Said I was tired of having to walk around my jeep every time I got in to make sure all my windows were there. I told them I relize it wasn't an engine problem but windows are a safety issue and if it happened again I would take the steps to Lemon Law it!
    When my window went bad (oh the third one I think), I took it over and had it fixed and then it went bad right away again. They listened and talked among themselves and told my husband there was nothing wrong. I got on the phone with them, while he was there and insisted they do something. So they fixed the regulator and then said they did it just because they couldnt find anything to be wrong at all with the windows.

Well, my warranty is apparently about to be up. I'm wondering from now on if I will be able to go to a repair shop, and explain that I know it is the regulator? That should be cheaper to fix and much easier than going to the dealership.
    I still want to trade this thing in, but in these economic times I dont think I can.
  • felinesfelines Member Posts: 4
    Believe me I understand about trading it in. I love the Liberty with the exception of the windows. I am leasing and am stuck with it until 2010. I am going to yell everytime it happens until they get tired of me. There is a compalint line you can call :lemon:
    I need help with my 2007 Jeep Liberty's drivers side door .
    :lemon:
    Does anyone have directions on how to repair the front (power) and rear windows ?
    Like most you we can't afford the 300 to 400 dollars to repair them every other month .
    DON"T EVER BUY ANOTHER CHRYSLER PRODUCT !!!!! :lemon:

Thank You
  • missy80missy80 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2004 Jeep Liberty. Since 2004 I have had all 4 windows fall down. It's become where I know almost every other month, sometimes more, I will have a window fall. I have taken every approach with both my dealership and corporate, from trying to be nice and understandable, to being very upset and angry. Bottom line is I am at the mercy of my own car never knowing when a window could fall. It's happened during bad weather, it's happened with clients in my car, it's happened where something was stolen out of the back of my car. It's honestly a safety hazard for a woman driving by herself...The frustrating part is that I have had no other problems with my Liberty. It's been a great car, except for one very big problem. Jeep always gives me the reply of "well we fixed it". No, no they haven't if the problem keeps happening. They told me they get about 3 of those a day. In the state I live in, if you multiply that out by the # of dealers that's almost 750,000 cars with a defect, yet they won't fix it.
    Does anyone know if this can be fixed by non-Jeep people. And I mean a fix where it is not temporary, but an actual fix where it will never happen again? Jeep themselves have said it falls due to the fact that the part causing the issue is plastic in the window, and that with weather changes it expands and contracts which causes the window to slip. Please let me know if anyone knows if it can be fixed outside of Jeep? My worry is I have an extended warranty and I worry about taking it outside of Jeep and having them say that my warranty is now voided if they see someone else worked on it.
  • broknlibertybroknliberty Member Posts: 2
    The only permanent fix I found was selling my Liberty and buying a Jetta. Good luck!
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    A body shop or windshield exchange station will do this for you. At least these people will know how other vehicles are built and they will have the proper expertise. Jeep dealers have to obey to Jeep rules :(
  • jdg43jdg43 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Jeep Liberty and about a month ago the rear driver window would not stay up,or automatically move up. Last week the drivers window went out! I took it to the dealership where under the extended warranty.. ( I run up the miles with my job) I was able to pay the 100 deductible and get the two fixed. apparently the cables or regulators were the problem. I love the Jeep absolutely love it except for the windows, sadly I am never buying a Jeep again due to the same exact problem that I see MANY MANY people are having. I am preparing to get screwed financially by this problem due to the situation with my mileage.
  • missy80missy80 Member Posts: 2
    I just traded my Liberty in for a new Honda CRV. The sad part is that I absolutely loved my Liberty, and had no other issues except for the windows. However that was a big issue, I was worried to have clients in my car and you could never leave things in your car since you never knew when it could fall down. Out of every SUV I have driven it was the most fun to drive,but too risky with the windows. Myself and 2 other people I know just got rid of them recently for the same issue and everyone said the same thing, if it wasn't for the windows we would have repurchased another Jeep. Now, none of us will ever purchase jeep/chrysler again. They really are shooting themselves in the foot for such a stupid issue-THAT COULD BE FIXED. Looks like for now I am a Honda girl, at least I know they typically produce good cars. Hopefully one day Jeep will get their act together. :(
    join the crowd and make sure you pass the word on to your friends : DON"T EVER BUY A JEEP PRODUCT !!!!!!!
    :lemon: :lemon: JEEP :lemon: :lemon: enough said ???
  • albaybalbayb Member Posts: 5
    I love my jeep and I'm very sad to read that the power windows are an issue with so many liberties. I have a 2006 and for the past 2 years I've had issues with all 4 power windows not working...as in I couldn't roll them down. I've also had one of them fall down.
    I just took it in a couple weeks ago and hopefully they have made a permenant fix. For anyone with this problem, they replaced a body control module that runs the electrical things in the jeep. Since I started complaining about this before the factory warranty expired, they replaced it for free and even threw in a free oil change.
    I am surprised that jeep hasn't recalled the liberties because I agree that the windows falling down or not rolling down is a safety concern. I don't know how recalls work...is there somewhere for consumers to complain?
    :cry:
    from what i have read the windows are not a safety hazard .
    I have seen jeep's going down the road with tape holding them up ( ours has tape on it too as we can't afford the 300 to 400 repair cost.
    I have written to Chrysler with NO satisfaction .
    Best thing you can do is to pass the word to family and friends NOT to buy ANY Chrysler product .
    This is not limited to just the Liberty's , ALL Jeep's are having the same issues .
    They are all :lemon: .
    If you have any luck please keep us all informed .
    Thanks
  • jeepcssucksjeepcssucks Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same issue for the last year. I bought my liberty used at around 15k miles and is now almost at the manf. warranty of 36k and I am taking it back to the dealership for them to replace the 4th window that has broken. I was told the first time I took it in that the previous owners had already taken it to them to fix one of the windows already. It is not surprising that these american car manufacturers need a bail out. They make crappy products. They should make sure they are producing quality cars if they are bailing them out. Which we know the money will just end up in the CEO's pockets. I will sell this and buy a Japanes car next time. I love my diesel liberty with the exception of this whole window fiasco. Maybe it is time for the Japanese to take over due to we americans have gotten too lazy to build good products and we are also too lazy to get up and fight these manufacturers that are trying to sell inferior products. The gentleman I deal with at the dealership doesn't seem to care how many times it has broken. I asked how long it would take to fix and he said just leave it with me for the day. They do not have loaner cars or will not pay for a rental. They said I need to call the manufacturer to see if they would even reimburse me for the rental. It is the busy holidays and I am running around in the rain with the drivers side window down getting wet. I finally got very upset and told him that I will come in and not wait the whole day like I have the last 3 times. After much persistence and letting him know I am not getting off the phone until we schedule a time that I am not wating all day he finally agreed to work on my car first. TO ALL LIBERTY DRIVERS WITH THIS WINDOW ISSUE BE SURE TO LET THE DEALERSHIPS KNOW HOW UPSET YOU ARE AND DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER. DO NOT LET THEM MAKE YOU WAIT.
    I am in Phoenix, AZ area. If anyone wants to join a picket line I am game.
    Thank you for letting me vent. I hope you all have a great day.
    B
  • ena1512ena1512 Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I purchased a 2007 Jeep Liberty from a dealership in Cullman, Alabama in February 2007. We enjoyed the truck for a bit, but once we had it for 6 months we woke up one morning to find the passenger side rear window had fallen into the door over night. i thought someone had broken into the vehicle, but didn't see any glass. We took it to the Jeep dealership near our new home in Mckinney, Tx, and they fixed it for us. Then exactly two months later, the other side fell into the door under similar circumstances. then the passenger side front window fell into the door. All the while, I thought when we were taking these into the dealership for a fix, they would "Fix" the problem. however, when the same window fell into the door a few months ago, i discovered they are not.

Bottom Line: If you are a tax payer, you are now essentially a shareholder of Chrysler and GM. We have just invested in two companies that do not fix problems, but perpetuate them. I want out of this Jeep so bad. And I only hope the company stays around long enough so that the resale value of my POS doesn't fall any more than it already has. This company is an absolute joke! what ever happened to pride in building American vehicles has surely flown the coop with the Chrysler. Every Chrysler employee should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen to what was once a fine representation of American craftsmanship. they all have played a part in allowing this company to do this to the consumers. shame on Chrysler.
    I beg your pardon "ena1512", Daimler's huge appetite for profit killed the quality assurance and concept of reliability.
    Hey "caribou1" nice to hear from you. Thanks for the response. With all due respect, having an insatiable appetite for profit has very little to do with poor quality. Not to mention, if DC had any appetite for profit whatsoever, one would deduce that they were capable of making one, alas they are not. Moreover, one could argue that it is the opportunity to make a profit that makes capitalism great. For, it is the profit making that separates capitalism from other forms of government, well that and many other ideals, but profit taking is a big one. That being said, I think I understand the point you are trying to make. It sounds to me like you are implying that Chrysler has opted to use lower quality parts to make a higher profit margin. However, it has been my experience in manufacturing that has taught me that procurement is only one fraction of the total cost of quality. Paying too much for ineffective and therefore inefficient labor has much more to do with poor quality than making a profit.

Without knowing too much about how much it actually costs to make a Jeep, or any other vehicle for that matter, common sense would lend me to believe that if making a profit equated only to building products with sub-par parts, that everyone and their uncle would be in the business of making cars with parts of poor quality. There is so much more to making a profit than simple supply chain or procurement principals. I would venture to say that many companies that try to give their profits a shot in the arm by ordering cheaper and poorer quality parts quickly find themselves out of business that is unless a government bails them out. Therefore, "Caribu1", I beg your pardon, whether we would like to admit to it or not, we as taxpaying Americans have just invested in a company that has proven their inability to make a profit time and again, with good parts or bad ones, probably since the Iaccoca days.
    Hi ena1512,
    In a world where beauty reigns what you say is true.
    Inquire a little about "Renault" and "Daimler Benz" during and just after WW2. Later in time, in the 70's, Renault workers were considered as 'civil servants' by the rest of the French population. People had no other choice than pay too much for what I found was crap compared to the north American products I was familiar with.

I wish you all a better, objective and profitable New Year :)
    Hey Caribou1,

good to hear from you again. However, I am not sure I understand your point. I think you are saying that folks in France were forced to pay too much for crappy cars built by Renault at the time, somewhere after WWII. France embraces socialism, and Totalitarianism if I am not mistaken, so having the government prop up companies in France is not uncommon. Not to mention, that in the days and years following WWII, times were much different. Marketing was different. Allegiance to one brand was essentially unheard of, and as your response implies, competition was a force that essentially did not exist, and certainly was not allowed to thrive. Capitalism embraces healthy competition, and competition has a way of weeding out the non-competitive companies. That is of course, if it is left alone, and allowed to work it's magic. The government propping up a company that is clearly building a sub-par product is doing NO one any favors. There is a pretty decent article in the wall street journal a few days ago by one of their economists, Moore is his name. Anyway, in the article, he discusses Ayn Rand, and Atlas Shrugged. I think many of the ideals expressed in the book, as well as in the editorial column support my point. Here is that link if you have some time to research it, it's a pretty good article.

link title

On a lighter note, and getting back to the point of this thread, my driver's side window broke for the third time last night. Oh the joys of Liberty ownership. Also, my wife spoke to the folks at the dealership, and supposedly they are on revision "J" of the part that is supposed to fix this issue.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's interesting that your link didn't mention one of Rand's inner circle, Alan Greenspan. He's said that Rand's theories have "come a cropper". (well, he didn't use those exact words).

But we digress. :shades:

I can't keep track of all the various make/model issues around here, but is your problem the recurring one with the plastic gizmo that keeps falling off the window track (or does it fall of the motor?), sometimes letting the window drop into the door? Revision J doesn't sound too encouraging.
    Hi ena1512,
    The article you refer to is exactly, word to word, the substance of EU public debates.
    Industry is fine, it's the bankers that have 'cold feet'. We now have public mediators to negotiate credit lines for companies that already have their production potential fully committed.

If I buy a Jeep Liberty Sport CRD today with a tag of 33,000 Euros, in addition I am penalized by more than 2000 Euros simply for CO2 tax. Many people have money to buy cars but the government discourages us from buying and thus puts the automobile industry in front of a dilemma: who do you want to keep? civil servants or industry workers?

I think revision "J" stands for "junk" :shades:
    Hello Steve,

Yeah, it's the recurring issue whereby the window mysteriously falls into the door. sometimes when the car isn't moving, and other times when your rolling down the highway, at a safe speed of course. But, according to Jeep, this isn't a safety concern, so it won't be recalled. Pretty interesting though.

As for the article, that was very interesting indeed. Although, one could certainly argue that the idea of Objectivism that Ayn was referring to, was never allowed to flourish. One of the fundamentals of her theory is the complete separation of politics and economics. Alan Greenspan's intervention throughout his term essentially put the kibosh on this part of the theory, at least I tend to think so. Not to mention we have special interest groups that are allowed to "sway" the "beliefs" of our elected politicians. I think this is one of the most detrimental aspects of our current political landscape. Essentially, we have made public office a mockery and have allowed ourselves to be ruled by folks that do not necessarily have anything further than their bank accounts in their best interests. Now, I digress :) . I appreciate the discourse Steve. Have a good one, and perhaps one day we will all be able to get rid of the cars that we probably paid too much for in the beginning :blush: anyway. ;)
    Excellent points Caribou1. The CO2 tax is headed our way as well, from the sounds of it anyway. We will see though. I will have to do some reading about the issues in France with regard to the auto industry, as I am unfamiliar with them right now. That being said though, the subject certainly sounds very interesting. I am intrigued to say the least. I appreciate the insight.

BTW, i just read your profile, and I am also an avid photographer. Not a good one by any means, but definitely a serious hobbyist.
    When CO2 becomes a threat, we reduce everything that produces CO2; if we pay a CO2 tax, then it becomes a source of revenue.

We had an automobile tax proportional to the size of the engine; it was meant to assist elderly people. This tax was removed at the time life expectancy increased significantly :)

Perhaps removing the CO2 tax and helping people to upgrade their vehicles to use an equivalent to 'Blue-tech' (urea) technology could be a viable option. Our Jeeps could then run with their windows open (LOL)
  • techctechc Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Jeep Liberty. I am having the same problem as most of you are. Today I went to roll up the driver side rear window because I was on the freeway and could hear a lot of road noise coming in so I figured maybe my wife had left the window cracked open. When I went to roll it up I heard a crackling noise. I immediately stopped rolling it up and decided to wait until I got home to look at it. I took the door apart and looked inside. I'm not very familiar with power windows and was looking for something obvious to stand out. but I couldn't really see anything. Once I got to this site I realized HOLY SMOKES this is a problem that really needs to be adressed, I don't have warranty left. Has there been a recall? Has anyone fixed this problem on their own? If so please share some advise. I really don't have the money to shell out to a garage to fix this thing. If I can fix it on my own I surely would like to give it a shot. Also if I could a complaint site or several complaint sites that have been helpful to anyone please send them to me. I would love to help the cause and get this problem fixed. Thanks techc
  • FldragonflyFldragonfly Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty and today a second window has fallen with me in less than a year. I have just printed all these complaints and will contact Chrysler for "us". Wish me luck. This is ridiculous!!!! This is just one web site I have found the same complaint on.
    I emailed Jeep's customer service complaining about the windows on my jeep and got a personalized response so I know that somebody actually read what I had to say. They even looked up my service history because I gave my VIN number.

It wouldn't hurt if everyone else emailed Jeep with your situation/complaints too.
    Do you have a physical address to where I can send these complaints? Thanks!
    Unfortunately I don't have a physical address because I just went through the website, but here's the address that the response came from
    customerassistre@chrysler.com

Hope that helps!
    Thanks - I found this if anyone wants it:

DaimlerChrysler Customer Service Assistance Center
    PO Box 21-8004
    Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004

1-800-992-1997

I stopped at Ace Hardware to get some plastic for my window until I can get it to the shop. When I walked in I explained to the young man that I needed some clear vinyl for my car as my window fell down. He immediately said "Do you have a Jeep?" How strange was that! The manager there owned one and had the same problem and his neighbor has a Jeep and had the same issues!

I am also sending everything to the NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association)

National Automobile Dealers Association
    8400 Westpark Drive
    McLean, VA 22102

1-800-252-6232
    I just talked to my local Jeep Dealership Service manager. When I started to explain saying I know he has heard this before he asked me how many windows have fallen, I said two, he asked me how many miles I had on it, I said around 60,000. He said to bring it in when I can and if I pay a $50 deductible they will take care of it. So, be sure and check with the Jeep Dealerships in your area! Maybe they have realized they are going to have to honor these complaints if they want our future business.

"There is only one boss. The Customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else."
    Sam Walton (1918-1992
    Founder of Wal-Mart
    Good to hear some are getting a little help.
    Our dealership said never to expect anything from Chrysler as they are totally in another country and will do absolutely nothing.
    Currently working on ditching my Jeep, as I barely go anywhere anymore and my spouse and I can probably make it on one vehicle.
    Much as I like the size and driving my Liberty Sport, I am just holding my breath waiting for the next window to fall.
    I just got back from my local Jeep Dealer. They said that Chrysler IS authorizing them to fix the windows. ( I drive a 2004 Jeep Liberty) I paid a $50 deductible and was on my way. So I cannot stress enough to stay on top of your local Jeep Dealer and if they do not honor the repairs to let Chrylser know they are not cooperating with you. Good luck! I will check back to see if anyone else has had any good results. I will keep my fingers crossed for all of you.
    That's good to know. Hope everyone can check in if they do have this done, and their dealership does cooperate. If it is true, we're moving up from "We've never heard of that problem..."
    Now if they only had a way to deal with the stupid rain staining seats.
    When I was at the Jeep Dealership yesterday I asked them if there was anything they could do about the $200 I spent to fix the first window that fell down a few months ago. I told them I didn't realize at that time it was an issue and took it where I knew I could get a good price (I have a friend at a different dealership). They said I would have to take that up with Chrysler. I am going to write to Chrysler and see what they say. I have been told if they do not want to make some kind of adjustment, I can take it to small claims court (no expense to me!) and they would not want to go there. So I hope the ones who have posted in this forum will follow through with whatever they can do to get their issues resolved as well. We just have to keep after them to get results. Taking just to each other won't get it. Good Luck to everyone!