Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    Thanks for looking at the prices.

Here's how to tell if you're getting the right price on the new minivan. First, ask to see the actual invoice. Next, look on the sheet for a "PP" (Preferred Pricing) code. That's the same as the Friends price.

The only thing they can add to that price is up to $75 for a documentation fee. Also, TTL is paid at the dealership in some states. However, there are no marketing fees, transfer fees or any other fees that can be added. The delivery charge that you see on the window sticker is already included in the Friends price. Dealer add-ons, such as aftermarket tinted glass or stripes would be an extra cost.

Do your homework on your trade-in value. When I bought my Sebring last year using an employee discount the salesman said he could not match what I would get for my trade at a GM or Ford dealership because he wasn't making any money on the sale. Expect a very low offer.

As I started to stand up to go down the road to see what the Saturn dealer had to say they suddenly were willing to negotiate a bit on my trade. I ended up getting around twice the amount for it they had originally offered. :confuse:
  • csteinbecsteinbe Member Posts: 10
    I finished my deal today and wanted to follow up.

The end result was I live in an area with no Chrysler employee presence and the dealer didn't have a clue on how to deal with the friends program. I went in as soon as the van showed up from the dealer they swapped with so I could see the invoice. When I saw the actual PP price ($27780, as tedebear said), I explained the program again, the saleperson checked it out, and down the price went.

At closing time I almost had to beg them to make me sign the Friends program form, and even had to point out that they didn't charge me the $75 fee (they ended up not bothering with the fee, and ended up finally getting the right friends form after first giving the employee purchase program form to sign).

I also asked the salesperson to go into DealerConnect and check all possible incentives that were available. He found a $750 minivan loyalty incentive that seems to be out there and nobody knew about. I got the idea to ask because I found this via searching on Google:

http://carolinadodgedealers.com/images/Our%20Time%20Magazine%20Promo.pdf

Go figure.

So, final numbers:

2008 Grand Caravan SXT, 25L in Sunburst Orange

MSRP: $30,140
    Friends Price: $27780
    Customer Cash: $2500
    Lease Cash: $1000
    Regional Incentive: $500
    Minivan Loyalty: $750

Final price: $23,030
    Wow, I'd say you got one heck of a good deal.

I'm surprised that the dealer didn't know much about the Friends program - it's a rather popular discount. And you don't have to live in an area with Chrysler employees. You just have to know someone who knows someone who has a friend who works for Chrysler, etc.

The employee is supposed to get a control number for you and then you take that to the dealer. They apparently waived the employee participation part of the procedure.

Anyway, you saved over $7,000 off the MSRP after all rebates and incentives. Not bad.
  • snoopy71snoopy71 Member Posts: 32
    I posted this inquiry a few months ago when I wasn't 100% sure that we were getting a GC or a T&C, so I'll ask again...

Wife & I have twins on the way (in addition to our 3-yr old) so we need to bite the bullet and get a minivan. We're going to get a Caravan or a T&C sometime in June. Money will be real tight since wife will be quitting work to stay home, hence us going down to one income, so if anyone has a friends code for 2008, then I would reeeeeeally appreciate it. .... I'll even put you on my Christmas card list!! ;)

e-mail me here at carspace and let me know....
  • danaclingdanacling Member Posts: 9
    "I ended up paying 25,449.42 ..." by scoutll

scoutll, how did you do it? I have been searching far and wide trying to get that exact same configuration for that price, talked to many different dealers, cash in hand, and nobody has yet to come down to that price.
    Do you think you could contact the salesman and see if he would give me a similar(or exact deal) knowing I would be travelling from Houston, Texas where I live to pick it up? (And remind him the only reason I would do this is because I found your post, otherwise I never would have known they even existed as I have never even been close to North Dakota before?) Am I crazy for thinking this since gas prices and travel now are extremely expensive?
  • scoutllscoutll Member Posts: 40
    Their webpage is www.minotchrysler.com and the salesman was Terry K. I'd like to say it was due to my outstanding negotiating prowess, but honestly, it was a combination of timing, incentives and just plain the right vehicle at the right time.
    Mine had been in stock on the showroom floor for a couple months and they were willing to deal. The longer one sits on the lot, the lower they go. Folks around here don't seem to like leather that much, so the ones with leather go last. When I bought the GC, I had the choice between it and a T&C Signature that was pretty much identical for a little more. The only real difference was the Dodge has automatic climate control and the Chrysler didn't, but had remote start. It had also been sitting on the lot for a couple months.

If you go to the web page you will see that the prices for the vehicles in stock are pretty good to start with. Not a big inventory like you may be used to in Houston, only about 25 mini's any given time and they only sell a a hundred or so vehicles a month (population of the entire quarter of the state where Minot is, is only about 75,000 or so).. As you will see when you go on the page, right now they have a SXT with the 25L package with a 29000 > sticker listed for 23999, Uunfortunately, no dual DVD on that one though, but they have several with DVD's with 31,000 or so window stickers starting at 25-26000. They have a better selection of T&C right now, a couple of 33-34000 signatures for around 28000. As far as the gas prices go, it may be expensivew..., but what a good way to break it in, huh?
    Thanks scoutll,
    I am going to look at their webpage right now. Oh, it would be a GREAT way to break it in ;-) , your'e right! Not to mention, I have always dreamed of visiting places like North Dakota, what a great way to justify it.
    Down here in Houston, that's about right, about 20-25 minivans on average at the dealer. The only difference is there are many dealerships around here. I was hoping competition would help me find one I could afford, but I hate being cornered in the salesman's office. I try to do my communication through phone and emails, maybe that's why I'm getting nowhere.
    From what I've seen around here, you got a really awesome deal!!!
    I have to ask though, why don't many people around there like leather? I thought hotter climates like Houston would like leather less.
    REALLY COLD when it's -40. The heated seats help a lot, but most prople don't think of that.
  • tammigirltammigirl Member Posts: 1
    Now that we're at the end of May I'm wondering what loyalty programs or other rebates/incentives are still in place. We're pretty much decided on another Grand Caravan. We qualify for supplier pricing. The lady who gave me the control number for supplier pricing today told me we still qualify for any rebates and incentives. She knew of the $2500 rebate and another $500 rebate which goes to or through June 2nd. She said another special starts then, but she didn't know what it was.

Does anyone know what that June 2nd special is? Or if there is a loyalty discount/rebate? (We currently own two Grand Caravans,) I don't want to miss out on anything.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)
    To check current rebates you can visit the Dodge website and click on Shopping Tools > Current Incentives.

Either that or call the Rebate Hotline at (800) 227-0757. You might try them both and see if you get the same information.
  • sadim91sadim91 Member Posts: 4
    Hi! I'm still deciding between the T&C and the Grand Caravan. So far all the T&C dealers are not budging and stayin at about 200 below invoice. I got this quote from a Dodge dealership from the southwest suburbs of chicago.

2008 Grand Caravan
    Options
    Customer Preferred Package 25L $ 2,080
    Heated Front Seats
    Heated 2nd-Row Seats
    Premium Sliding Floor Console with Cupholders
    MyGIG(R) Multimedia System
    Hard Disc Drive
    ParkView(R) Rear Back-up Camera
    Ambient Light Group
    Removable/Rechargeable Flash Light
    Power Liftgate
    Black Side Rails and Crossbars

MSRP: $29,990

INTERNET SALE PRICE: $24,474

Does this sound like a good deal? It has been the best so far. :shades: :)
    That beats the Friends discount price by several hundred dollars, so it looks like a pretty good deal.

The Friends price, including a $2,500 rebate, is $24,694 for a 2008 GC SXT with the 25L package. Everything you listed above comes standard with the 25L.
  • michellettumichellettu Member Posts: 2
    I have some questions. We have a 2005 Tahoe and are considering buying the T & C van. I love my Tahoe but hate the gas mileage and it's hard to get 3 kids in and out. Any others switched from Tahoe/Yukon to minivans?

What do you have to do in order to get the $1000 owner loyalty cash? We also have a 03 Dodge Ram so can we qualify?

Any other rebates besides that and the $2500 for those of us in Texas?

Lastly, we do want the DVD system but not really into the 2 DVD systems. Is it cheaper to get the dual system and then get the rebate for the free system or just get the single DVD with no rebates on it?

Thanks in advance!
    tedebear,
    Can you tell me what the friend's price for a 2008 Grand Caravan SXT with 25L package, Swivel Seating, Leather Interior Group, and DVD/ Backseat Entertainment system would be? I'm about ready to purchase, thank you.
    I came up with the following.

MSRP: $32,845
    Friends Discount: $3,163
    Rebate: $2,500

Net Price: $27,182
    Thank you tedebear! I really appreciate your help!
    For the loyalty cash, all we had to do was show the registration on our other Dodge to get it. The dealer here said they accept any other Chrysler vehicle (Jeep, Eagle, Dodge, Chrysler ect), plus, here they said they will even accept a pre Chrysler AMC or Jeep due to the fact Chrysler bought AMC in 1988. That may be up to individual dealers discretion though, I'm not sure.

The rebates and consumer cash are regional, you could check on the Chrysler Web Page for local deals.

On the DVD's, it's my understanding you can only get the single DVD on the SE or LX. The only choice for the SXT, Touring or Limited is the duals.

You could always get the van with mygig installed (but no DVD's), then have the dealer install the single DVD system for you. That would probably run over a thousand dollars with labor though.
    You could always get the van with mygig installed (but no DVD's), then have the dealer install the single DVD system for you.

A MyGIG comes with a single DVD player already in it.
    Only for the front seat, when parked. Not viewable from the rear seats, or while driving. To get a rear VES or the second DVD player you have to get one of the entertainment package options, or a dealer installed rear VES.
    Not viewable from the rear or while driving.

There are aftermarket products that get around that. The MyGIG in my Sebring will play a DVD movie whether it is moving or parked.
    "There are aftermarket products that get around that. The MyGIG in my Sebring will play a DVD movie whether it is moving or parked."

Agreed, but I think michelle was asking about the merits and choices of one vs two screens in the back seats of a mini van, not whether they could view from the front seat while while moving.

That aside, my wife often wishes she could watch the front screen while we are moving :) . Not enough to put out the 300 dollars for a lockpick though :( .
    That aside, my wife often wishes she could watch the front screen while we are moving

Have you tried yours to see if you're one of the lucky ones with a MyGIG that has this from the factory? ;)

MyGIG Video in Motion

YouTube Video of It
    We tried it before and it didn't work. I think I read somewhere that it works on some of the canadian REN units (and maybe a few US ones), but mostly on the european and austrailian REZ (?) units I think.
  • csbct22csbct22 Member Posts: 1
    I just started looking on this forum. Right now we have an offer of 23918 +TTL for a 08 GC SXT w/ 25L, Swivel, Dual DVD and Sirus backseat for a year. MSRP is 32515. The price quoted includes a 2500 trade in, a 2500 cash rebate and 750 minivan loyalty. Do you know what Employee Discount or F & F would fetch for that? I am also worried about what is going to happen with the cash discount on Monday. Is the 2500 good until midnight on Monday the 2nd. The was the market is I really don't foresee them taking away the rebate. I hope is sticks or maybe goes up. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    The best I could come up with, according to your configuration, is an MSRP of $32,010. That does not include the swivel seats. I did not see those as an option. Maybe they've stopped offering them on new builds.

Anyway, based on the above here's what I found:

MSRP: $32,010
    Employee Price Discount: $3,550
    Net Price: $25,960

MSRP: $32,010
    Friends Discount: $3,055
    Net Price: $26,455
  • kdjk5467kdjk5467 Member Posts: 8
    If the incentives "end 6/2", does that mean 11:59pm 6/2 or that I can not get the deal on 6/2?
    You might verify this with the local dealer but I'm pretty sure it means at the end of the day on 06/02; at least that's how I would interpret it.
    First, Thanks tedebear. That's what I figured re: end date.

Now,
    I was quoted $23,011 for a
    Grand Caravan SXT with
    power liftgate and
    Black Side rails and crossbars (aka roof rack)

This seems like a good deal to me. The MSRP is $28,560 ($26,060 after current $2,500 rebate). I'm thinking of going in Monday to get it.
    That's a better price than you'd get with the Friends discount - sounds pretty decent to me.

Here's what my research utility came up with:

MSRP: $28,560
    Friends Discount: $2,611

Net Price: $23,449
    If I give my dodge dealer my credit card info to hold a car until we finalize a deal, what is the law regarding refunds? I was given a price on a specific car and was asked to give a $100 deposit to "hold the price" with no payment contract agreed to yet. This is in Illinois if that matters. I have not even been to this dealer in person yet.

The deal is a pretty good one (above) but I can not get in the store for another day.
    Are deposits refundable if there is no contract?

A question like that might be better asked on one of the other forums.

Stories from the Sales Frontlines is a very active forum where many car sales people and sales managers hang out.
    I see that the cash back allowance of $2500 on Dodge/Chrysler GC/T&C ended yesterday and there isn't a new amount today ... it's back to $0 off. Hopefully they will have another cash back allowance in July.

I did get a booket in the mail yesterday from Dodge that has a coupon in it for $750 off a GC or T&C, that is good thru 7/31. Anybody else get that?
  • eriley99eriley99 Member Posts: 5
    I got that booklet,too. I need to dig it out and read the fine print bcs I thought it was only good on the GC. As far as June discounts go, they may be out later in the day (last month, I tried calling early in the day after the old ones expired and was told they were updating their systems. If not today, closer to the weekend. I did read the $2.99 gas option was extended into July. Of course I'd rather have the cash!
    It only has pics of the GC in it, but the first sentence in the fine print says its good for a 2008 GC or T&C.
  • mpsieben13mpsieben13 Member Posts: 5
    Who gets the booklet from Dodge? Is it people who previously bought vehicles or something else.

thanks
    Don't really know ... It was addressed to my wife and she has never owned a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep.
  • jpappasjpappas Member Posts: 16
    Dealer told me about this $750 coupon. Apparently they randomly sent it to women around the country that met some demographic. I guess the dealer also has the ability to extend the coupon to anyone meeting that demographic. Hope to have more details soon. I will post when I find them out.
  • mpsieben13mpsieben13 Member Posts: 5
    Just picked up a 2008 Grand Caravan SXT Inferno Red with no extra options.

Sticker $27955
    -2500 Rebate
    -750 Coupon from chrysler
    -2495 Dealer Discount
    Total = $22210
  • shamcyshamcy Member Posts: 23
    I keep seeing you guys say 25L package, what is what ? What comes with the 25L package ? Thanks in advance.
    You can read more about each of the packages at the Dodge Build My Own tab. Select the Grand Caravan from the drop-down list and you'll see the "SE Value", "SE" or "SXT".

Depending on which one of those you select there will be different package options (F-N) at the bottom. You can click on "Details" to the right of each one for more information. The SXT has the L package.
  • cheekymonkey2cheekymonkey2 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a GC SXT with 25L package, leather, dual screens, swivel n go, power everything for $27,937. Sticker was $32,845.00. Wish I had found this part of the site 8 hours ago. Still, less than Edmund's TMV. I've seen a couple of posts regarding loyalty money. I have a 2000 Chrysler G Voyager. Dealer said they weren't giving loyalty money anymore. Did I just get hosed, and do I have any recourse with Chrysler if I can prove that I currently own that Voyager?
  • jpappasjpappas Member Posts: 16
    You got toally hosed on that and I would call both the dealer and Chrysler customer service and raise a big stink. Thats absolutely ridiculous that they wouldnt give you that, its a nationally advertised program.
    Actually, I did call Chrysler afer I saw the posts on the message board here. I was told that the only cash that they were offering was the $2500 rebate - no loyalty cash. It seems to change from month to month. Not only that, but come to find out, the Sirius backseat TV and UConnect that the salesperson told me were in the car were not. It has the dual screens (and dual dvd players - ridiculously cool, but also just plain old ridiculous - remember when you had to make faces at the other cars through the back window of the station wagon for entertainment?). They are putting the backseat tv in for free, but want me to pay cost for the Uconnect. I'm actually sort of blaming Chrysler for this. If you go to the dodge web-site to build an SXT GC and highlight the details for the L package it sure as hell looks like Uconnect is supposed to come with it. Although I suppose the salesperson should have been up on this regardless. Anyone have thoughts on this?
    If you go to the dodge web-site to build an SXT GC and highlight the details for the L package it sure as hell looks like Uconnect is supposed to come with it.

I just looked at the details and that description does appear to be a bit confusing.

If you select the L package and continue to build it the Options and Accessories page does list UConnect as a $360 available option under Sound System Components.

The Sirius backseat TV is an additional $495 option. It's great that they're adding it for free. Did they say anything about the free 1-year subscription that normally comes with the package?
    I talked to the sales manager today, and he said he believed it would come with the 1 year subscription. After cooling down and thinking about it, I do think I got a pretty fair price. I had been looking at the lady who posted here and got hers for $25 and change thinking I got ripped off, but she must have had some pretty special circumstances. So basically what I'll have is a GTC 3.8 SXT with the 25L package, leather, power everything (except the third row seats), dual DVD players and screens (did I mention how cool that is?:-), Swivel n go, 3 zone temp (again - love the way the temp control works), and sirius backseat tv - for $27,937 +ttl. Not thrilled about the 399 deal prep fees that got added, but they absolutely refused to budge (maybe I didn't try hard enough?). Anyway the $27,937 was the invoice price (unless they can doctor the invoice), and the backseat tv is thrown in for free - which I guess would make the whole thing a few hundred under invoice.
    Spoke with the sales manager re: the confusion on the website with the 25L package details and uconnect. Said he had spoken with his district manager and they found several errors on the dodge web-site (not the least of which is the misleading way the details of 25L make it look like the package contains Uconnect. They're supposed to be getting with the regional manager for Chrysler at the end of the week (what are the odds they'll throw in a uconnect to my vehicle? - not holding my breath:-) I will say that they seem to be decent guys, and I'm definitely feeling better about the deal I got - so much so that my hubby is looking for a journey from the same dealership.
  • heelntoeheelntoe Member Posts: 21
    I have been following the Odyssey forum for months as we'd pretty much decided on replace her leased Nissan Murano with a purchased minivan. Nearly every review ranks the Odyssey better than the GC. I've nothing against Mopar; I've owned a 1999 Dakota and 2003 Ram. It just seemed like the Hondas were the class of the field.

Before heading out this week to get really serious, I decided to check incentives one more time. With $4500 on the GC, it was back in the game but I wanted the 4.0L. These were impossible to find on the lot a few months ago but availability is better now. We drove an SXT with the 28N and *everything* but the sunroof (don't want anyways, especially at $895) and the engine block heater (don't need here in western PA). I also told the dealer about the add'l $400 cash listed on Edmunds.com but could find no reference on Dodge's site.

The first offer from the dealer was $31,703 which was their invoice after advertising + 1% - $4500. A pretty honest opening round on their part, I think. By contrast, the Honda dealer came in at $29,700 for an EX-L w/RES, which was equipped with far, far less. This despite my indicating to him that other buyers are having no problem getting into the 28s and that's what I expected to pay. We told the Dodge dealer we were going to drive the Honda. They were very low-pressure and indicated that, if after driving the Honda, we decided we wanted the GC and called them that day, they would either find the other $400 for us from Dodge or eat it themselves.

At the end of the day, for a difference of about $30 a month for the GC, we thought it had a lot more value than the Odyssey. We also got the trailer tow which would have been an add-on even on the loaded Odyssey Touring model. I called the dealer back and said we'd take the GC if they could do $920 on the 6 year/70K Chrysler Maximum Care warranty. I know these things are usually a sucker's bet but I was concered about all the power sliders, liftgates, third row, nav, etc. I'd found the $920 number on one of the discounter web sites.

So... Long story short, we bought the GC SXT with 28N and everything but the sunroof and engine block heater for $31,303 (MSRP was $38,950) and paid $920 for the 6/70 Maximum Care warranty. Combined with the incentives, you could also do 3.9% for 60 months or 4.9% for 72. I don't like to stretch out payments to six years but... at 4.9%, I figured I'd keep the payments low and pay it off early, as I did my 03 Ram in 3.5 years that I'd financed for 5 years.

We were 99% decided on the Odyssey before I checked the incentives one last time for heading out to test drive. I'm glad I did. When we told the Honda dealer we were going to go GC, all of a sudden, he's dropping to invoice and throwing in the trailer tow package. I still think for $3000 more, we got more than $3000 worth of van. Playing with the MyGIG was worth hours of entertainment value alone last night!
  • marc35marc35 Member Posts: 4
    I just drove home a new 2008 Grand Caravan SXT purchased in Folsom, California (Folsom Lake Dodge). The van was manufactured in March, 2008, and I responded to an internet sale advertisement (one day only). There were two vans for the same price. I chose the sandstone. The other van was silver. The window sticker states that the base price was $27,140. The sandstone paint was $150, customer preferred package 25k (window shades, premium floor console, light shale seats) was $495, destination charge states $770. Total MSRP was listed as $28,555.

We paid 22,070.63 OTD.
    It breaks down as follows:
    Cash price $24,495
    Document fee $55.00
    Sales Tax $1779.88
    Total Cash price $26,329.88
    License/registration $240.75
    Subtotal $26,570.63
    $2500 rebate
    $2000 rebate for financing through Chrysler at 7.41 percent, 72 months (They said there was no prepayment penalty, so this seemed like a no brainer).
    OTD $22,070.63

It was hard to decide between the silver and the sandstone. The reason we preferred the sandstone was that it had a beautiful interior with light shale seats, (off white seats, with black carpet). The silver was also attractive with matching carpet and upholstery (dark gray).

We paid the advertised price, which we thought was a fair price. We tried to bargain a lower price but only briefly because we were satisfied with the advertised price. It may have been discounted because the cars had not sold in 4 or 5 months on the lot, and they were motivated to move some inventory.

I didn’t buy the supplemental warranty or the prepaid maintenance that was offered to us, but may buy a bumper to bumper warranty later from someone else. I’ll look through this forum for information regarding the btb warranty.

This is the first new car I have ever bought in 38 years of driving! Everyone in the family seems to approve of this purchase, even the teenagers! My 8 year old was disappointed that it didn't have a DVD, but still likes the van. I hope to keep it for a long time.
  • marc35marc35 Member Posts: 4
    Correction: the $495 was not for the 25k package. It was for the "Family Value Group."
  • abutcherabutcher Member Posts: 33
    Hello,
    Sorry for reposting, I put this by mistake in the Chrysler forum first.

On August 4th I bought a new 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 25K, black, with the options:

Dual Screen DVD Entertainment System
    Power Liftgate

for $23,400.00 out the door. I also bought the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty with a $100 deductible for an additional $1,650.00 and financing for 5 yrs at 4.9%. I am not a current Chrysler owner or an employee. I bought it at Szott Dodge in Highland, Michigan. My salesperson was very courteous.

Anthony
This discussion has been closed.