Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Camry Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Sounds like you have blown one of the diodes. Are you doing any jump starting of other vehicles off of this car?

I have found over the years, that the "only" time I have failed alternators is after I've used the vehicle to jump other vehicles. On vehicles that I've never used for jumping, they never had a problem.

I've stopped carrying jumper cables and being so outwardly helpful to others, and if I have a problem with one of my vehicles around the house here, I only use a battery charger instead of a jump. I've not had a failure since.

The other thing to check, is to make sure all of your electrical connections are free from corrosion, and tight. Look for corrosion up inside the main cables, peel back the insulation a little to check that you don't have corrosion up inside the cables.
  • mach3leemach3lee Member Posts: 3
    Where do I find the Turn signal flasher Relay on my 1999 Camry?
    Inside the car, drivers side kickpanel on the left.
    I am having a hard time locating it. Do I have to remove the lower part of the dashborard where the tilt down coin drawer is? I removed the coin drawer and can see the fuse box but I can not seem to find the turn signal relay
    Not at the dash, behind the kickpanel.

Put your left foot on the floor, move it to the left...... and it will hit the kick panel on the side.
  • rod20rod20 Member Posts: 14
    diodes should be ok as they are usually within the alternator and you have changed alterators,although all the alts used could have been faulty,get your alt checked at an auto electrical shop they will be able to test it for faults (if its charging and if your diodes are ok,bearings )failing that i would be checking all your earths starting at the battery first sometimes they look ok but are not 9
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Did your turn signal suddenly stop working? We just had that problem on my daughter's '99 Camry. All other electrical lights, including the brake light, are working just fine. Do you know what the problem is?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Normally could be the flasher, or could be a bulb. Could also be the turn signal switch, but that becomes less likely.

You have to look very closely at the dual filament bulbs. What can happen is one of the filaments burns out and breaks, and then lays across the other filament, causing weird problems. Look closely at the intensity of the bulb brightness, to make sure the correct filament is being lit.
    Yes they just stopped flashing. It was just fixed by replacing the turn signal relay
  • rearwheeldriverearwheeldrive Member Posts: 140
    Glad to see someone can share the success. I never hear the results from all are efforts.
  • debbie68debbie68 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2000 Camry. Has a rattle under the dash and the brake light comes on in cold mornings, but otherwise fine. My last tuneup was at 68,758 miles, in March 2007. I am now at 85,000 as of today, 10/3/08. Changed the tranny and coolant fluids in Jan 2008. My mileage is terrific. Do I need a tuneup at 85K, or should I wait? If I wait, for how long?

Thank you.
    Your owners manual, tells you what maintenance needs to be done on what mileage basis.

When you say 'tune up', do you mean oil change? You certainly shouldn't be doing engine tuneups on 15K mile intervals.

Did you get anybody to check out your brakes?
    Hi. The manual did not say "tune up" it just makes suggestions about things to check every 5,000 miles or so. I don't know the last time my brakes were looked at, have not changed my air filter since 68,758.

How frequent should the tuneup be?
    Do you have an owners manual? Usually in the glove compartment..............

Can send one softcopy, if need be.
    Yes, I do. I will doublecheck it, but all I saw were the 5,000 mile recommendations.
    With the owners manual, should be a document called scheduled maintenance guide.

It also has the maintenance to be done, at different mileage marks, (like 80K, 100K, etc)
    Thank you for the offer to send a manual along. I am having a heck of a time figuring out when to have the car looked over (exhaust, air filter, brakes) versus needing to do an overall tuneup. I appreciate any advice.
    Do you know how to access your Edmunds Carspace email?

I will send you the file to Debbie68@carspace.com

Go to Edmunds Home, then their is a link up at the top right to carspace. Click the link, and go to your mailbox.
    Kiawah, I have an Owner's Manual. It is in front of me. Can you advise on when to schedule a maintenance check? The manual does not say what to do.
    Go check your carspace email, i sent you a manual which will lay it out much simpler for you.
    It did not come through. Please resend. I appreciate your assistance. Perhaps I will just ask the mechanic tomorrow when he looks at the rattle and the brake light.
    were you able to get logged in? and did you get the email? and it should have two attachments

What did you get?
    Thank you for sending, I received both. They are identical to what I have. I appreciate your assistance, will talk to the mechanic tomorrow.
    The scheduled maintenance booklet, tells you exactly what you need to have done at the different mileage levels.

plus of course, fixing anything that is a problem....like your brakes.
    It sounds like you take care of your car. The brake light coming on might be the pads getting close to worn out and the fluid taking up this space within the system and thus lower fluid level in your reservoir setting off the light. It is not an emergency but a couple more months and the brake light might stay on all the time. It still is not an emergency but I would begin too get the pads replaced probably on the front because they wear out first.

Tune up is only plug change but some plugs (platinum) last at least 50 thousand miles. No such thing as a tune up anymore. Some mechanic might know to clean the throttle plate with an approved cleaner or you will wipe off the protection coating on this part. That is about it for tune up. Buy an air filter every 30 thousand miles or as required by the manual.

Are you a V6 or four cylinder? Also do you drive in cold climates and dirty roads? This effects the maintenance on your car.
  • sks3266sks3266 Member Posts: 5
    I have similar problems to bubba38's.....
    Purch. 97 Toyota Camry - water pump had seized, shredded belt. Replaced both as well as plugs & wires. Bottom end is fine. Checked upper end of engine, had lots of build up on tops of pistons, etc. - cleaned all. Resurfaced valves & seats, etc. Have it all back together - getting fuel, but only 1 or 2 sparks on first crank (with #1 plug out to test), then no fire at all on subsequent cranking. Can let it set for a day, then get same response. Tried replacing distributor, (was told it could be the problem) - get same results.

Have been told it could be crank sensor or the "module". Need test procedures/advice for testing crank sensor & module, and any other testing/troubleshooting anyone can suggest. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Dave
    Did you have the instructions for setting the cogged gear valve timing correctly?
    Yes, valve timing is correct. BTW - I mistyped the year - it's a 96 Camry - 4 cyl. 2.2L. Are there test procedures for checking the crank sensor and the module?
    Checked the crank sensor w/OHM meter - it tested okay. Anything else I can/should check?
    yes, trying to think of a way to get this info to you.

Do you have an AOL Instant messenger screenname? If so, please email it to 'kiawah@carspace.com'.

We could do a file transfer thru that, if you have an id.
    No, I don't have AOL Instant Messenger. What kind of info/document is it? Can you e-mail as zipped file or similar?
    Got email, see responses.
    Kiawah -
    Thanks again for the files last nite. I borrowed a scanner this morning to see what codes it comes up with. Hoping it will tell me which things to look at first. Will let you know what I find out on it.
  • jherzjherz Member Posts: 6
    I need to change the platinum plugs in my 94 Camry V6. Don't have a manual. It appears that it is necessary to remove the intake manifold etc to access the plugs. Correct?
    I just did a blog on V6 plug change, my blog is 1990 Q-45. I dont go into detail like being careful to remove the wires by twisting first then squeeze the wires at the top when you pull then off.

The rear bank is harder but can be accessed. I get the wires off then place the extensions in the spark hole one at a time or else you cant get them on the spark plug. My long one first then the shorter extensions.
  • mancpetemancpete Member Posts: 2
    does any know if a 2001 camry wagon with 193000 km,s on it is still a reasonable buy for 6500 australian and could the engine still be trusted
  • becca9becca9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '92 Camry with over 200k. when driving (especially over an uneven surface) the front drivers side wheel feels funny. it feels wobbly, i can feel it in the car and in the wheel. it's gradually getting worse. any idea what it could be and how much it would cost to fix?
    Front strut may be going bad.......it's the spring around the shock absorber thingie that holds your front wheel on, and the car from grinding on the ground.
  • krallkrall Member Posts: 17
    Hi - I've got an 2001 4-cyl Camry that is throwing an error code P1135. Not sure what the code is - any help is welcome. I've got to get an inspection sticker and don't want to buy the wrong sensor.

Thanks in advance.
  • balakrishnapbalakrishnap Member Posts: 5
    Hello,

I need to do 90k service for my camry, most of the dealers are suggesting that I should change the timing belt and water pump along with the service. The price they are quoting are in the range of 1000k - 1300k. Please advise.

Can I do the timing belt , 90k service at mechanic or dealer which one is better. Please note i dont know any mechanic.

Also if you know any good dealer/mechanic who does this for reasoable rates , please let me know. I am located in bellevue, wa.
    If you tell me what type engine you have 4 cylinder or 6, I can walk you through it.
  • balakrishnapbalakrishnap Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, its a v4 but I dont know anything about the car i mean in terms of techincal knowledge.

Is this price quoted by dealer is reasable ?
  • dmcdonnelldmcdonnell Member Posts: 18
    duanetu,

I don't think a loose solenoid would cause slipping as you describe. It might cause erratic shifting, but I doubt slipping. Did you measure the fuild level before draining it? Condition of fluid and amount of metal attached to the magnets? Slipping like that is either worn bands or clutches, or low pressure caused by a failing pump or bad torque converter, which if driven in that state long enough will damage the trans sufficiently to require a rebuild. You can go by a pressure gauge for $50 or so and connect it up to the pressure port to check if the pressures are in spec.eg: trans pressure tester The only concern with a lot of pressure testers is that most of the fittings are for domestic vehicles, so you may need to source one for the A541E trans.

dmcd

dmcd
  • benlbrbenlbr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 toyota camry with approx. 80k miles on it. Today, while driving on the highway, the TRAC OFF, VSC and CEL's all went on simultaneously. Some background info on the vehicle. It was in an front-end/driver-side collision back in 2006, but was 100% fully repaired according to the body shop. In August 08, another body shop changed my front brake pads and "sanded the disc", and I changed all the rear brake pads myself (not sure if it's relevant). I read some other forums and tightened my gas cap, but that didn't seem to solve the problem. I also reset the panel per the instructions of my manual (with the odometer reset button/ignition key). But the three lights still remain. I took the car to Autozone and the codes are as follows: P0441, P0455, and P0446. Is there anything I can take a look at myself before taking it to a mechanic and spending an insane amount of $$$? Also, is the car safe to drive for the time being? Your help is appreciated, thanks!
    Codes P0441,0446,0455 are related to leak on evap system.This system takes the fumes in the tank and burns them in the engine when the car starts. Its not hurting the car if the system is not working, only the atmosphere.

To get the CEL (check engine light) off remove the fuse marked STOP, or EFI (electronic fuel inj.) in the engine compartment fuse box for ten seconds with key off.
    Except if your state includes emissions inspection with your annual inspection, your vehicle won't pass with a check engine light on.

Look carefully at all of the tubing associated with the evaporation control system. You may find a tube has come off, or a plastic fitting has cracked. I had a mouse (or something) chew thru one of my tubes a couple years ago.
  • craznazncraznazn Member Posts: 1
    Just replaced the OEM battery (24F) for my 2004 Camry LE (4Cyl) with an Energizer that I bought from Sam's Club. Now, I'm experiencing hesitation at idle. In the store's battery catalog, there was a mention on ESP incompatability with replacement batteries which can cause hesitation.

Any one else have that experience and what countermeasures were taken?

Thanks!
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I have an 02 Camry w/69K miles. From new, now and then (every year or 18 months), when it started to get cold outside I would get a squeel when I would turn my steering wheel....something in teh steering column. They used to lube it for free but now she's a bit older they want to charge me $60! Whatever they used to do was usually done in 10 minutes or less. Does anyone know how to lube this area and with what?
    Check to make sure that the battery is good, delivering the voltage needed. It may have low voltage and need charged, or a bad cell....causing your hesitation problems. You should have close to 14Volts on it.
    To help keep belts quiet ,spay them with belt dressing. Walk into an auto parts store and go to the isle with engine sprays and look for belt dressing spray. Its about $3.00.

Then go out to your car start it, open the hood and spray it on the area where the belts are. On the left side of the engine compartment. Spray it so it hits the inner part of the belt that is going over the pulley. Or spray the pulley where it just get ready to make contact with the belt.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    no, this is a squeak when I physically turn the steering wheel...it in the steering column....