Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Camry Maintenance and Repair

191011121315»

Comments

• 92camry_le92camry_le Member Posts: 4
    92 Camry LE 4 Cylinder.

When I turn off my car. My side light + tail lights do Not turn off.

I have to unplug a Battery cable (every time I park) so the battery does not drain.

I took it to a Mechanic, he charged $240 to change the WHOLE switch and it still has same issue. Unfortunately the Mechanic is 300 miles away, I was visiting my parents.

Someone told me it may be the RELAY. I took my car to O'Riley Auto parts to buy the Relay and the employee could Not find the Relay location for sidelight & tail lights inside my car. He could not even find it in the Manual.

Do you know Exactly WHERE the Relay for (side light & tail lights) is located?

Pls. advise.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The tail lights and side lights should not need a relay, so I don't think that's a good diagnosis. The directional signals do use one (called a "flasher" which you may have heard of) but I can't recall if your flasher (hazard lights) also work the side lights or not, or if this relay is even the issue. You could also have a bad ground connection in the wiring harness going to, or from, the multi-function switch you replaced.

The flasher relay is located as relay "C" in # 6 relay box way up under the glove box (behind the glove box).
    92 Camry LE 4 Cylinder.

When I turn off my car. The side light + tail lights Do Not turn off.

I have to constantly unplug a Battery cable (every time I park) so the battery does not drain.
    see photos here http://s1064.photobucket.com/albums/u370/depechemode268/
    A mechanic charged $240 to change the WHOLE switch and it still has same issue. Unfortunately the Mechanic is 300 miles away, I was visiting my parents.

Someone told me it may be the RELAY. Two different Auto parts stores employees could Not find the location of the Relay for sidelight & tail lights. One, could not even find it in Camry Manual.

Do you know Exactly WHERE the Relay for (side light & tail lights) is located?

Pls. see photos here http://s1064.photobucket.com/albums/u370/depechemode268/

Pls. advise.
    Thank you in advance.
    After a long search and talking to various mechanics including an electrical engineer, I was told that my car Does not have a Relay for parking lights (running lights).

Furthermore, I also unplugged the Switch and the problem is still there.

So basically I have a short somewhere a long the parking lights (front and back) wires.

I wish I knew how to find the electric short.

I've been told that it is a very difficult thing to find.

Only experienced mechanics can do it.

I was trying to eliminate this but i guess my last choice is Toyota Dealer.

They are so expensive and I cannot afford it.

Any suggestions pls. ?
  • wilco32wilco32 Member Posts: 2
  • wilco32wilco32 Member Posts: 2
    My Camry 2000 LE has acting strange starting from past 6 months. While driving or from the beginning mileage needle went to zero and total mile LCD display went off. If it happen, transmission did not shift automatically until engine revolution is nearly 4K revolution. If it is running normal, transmission will shift automatically at 2.1K engine revolution.

Mechanic has changed the speed sensor and it does not fix. Mechanic now wants to change ECM or instrument cluster gauge. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wilco
  • suge1977suge1977 Member Posts: 3
    I drive a 2005 Camry. Has approximately 138k miles on it. I drive round trip 5 days a week about 50 miles. In the past 4 months, when I'm driving on the road or highway and I reach a speed of about 40-45 mph, it seems as if the engine sounds louder and the rpms are struggling to shift it to gear so that the car accelerates.

It will accelerate but sounds like the sound a motorcycle would make right before you shift gears. On the highway at about 70 it's not as loud. I get regular oil changes. Just got new tires/brakes in August. I haven't had any issues with this car! I love it, I really do take care of it. Thanks!
  • ledzepplinledzepplin Member Posts: 41
    My camry 4cyl started doing the same thing about 1 yr ago. What happens most often is when

I am trying to accelerate onto a freeway and it appears that the tranny gets stuck in 2nd or 3rd, while making a terrible whining sound. Pumping the accelerator sometimes helps but it is dangerous because you have to slow down and try to keep a constant speed. I hope it is not
    serious because I have no intention of replacing the tranny anytime soon. 90k miles.
  • ssearlesssearles Member Posts: 2
    The engine was leaking coolant on the back side of the engine near the fire wall and dripping on the exhaust. It left a puddle on my garage floor. However, when I took it to my mechanic to get it repaired, they could not find a leak. They drove it around, put 22 lbs of pressure on it over night and it held.

Have you ever heard of anything like this before. FYI, it is a five speed manual, import from Japan. We bought the car brand new in 03 and have put 294,000 miles on it. It still runs great, does not burn oil. Everything is original except for oil, brake fluid, brakes and rotors. Yes, the coolant is what was in it when we purchased it and it still tests out good.
  • ssearlesssearles Member Posts: 2