Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

myshaktimyshakti Member Posts: 11
I continue to have problems with the transmission in my 2007 Saturn Outlook. I took it in for the software upgrade which seems to have done no good. When talking with the Service Manager again he stated, "I do not know what to tell you, I am getting complaints from everyone and there is no more fixes."

Does anyone else have this problem and what have you done to fix the problem?

Comments

• cpkramerscpkramers Member Posts: 2
    Can you be more specific on your problem?

We just got our '07 XR FWD about 10 days ago, and I may be calling the dealer about ours not shifting into 6th on the highway when the cruise control is on. If it shifts into 5th, which it does a lot, it won't shift back into 6th unless I tap the brake and then resume the cruise.

Other than this, I am really enjoying the vehicle.
  • cschapercschaper Member Posts: 5
    I was just wondering if you ever had your problem resolved? I've been having the same problem and I too have had the software upgrade. I notice it doesn't shift into gear when it should and the RPM dial goes all the way up kinda like it gets stuck in gear. Is this the same problem you're having?
  • myshaktimyshakti Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

Yes, I am still having the problem you write about even after the upgrade. Not good when driving the roads I do due to hills, curves ,etc. I did receive a phone call recently from my Saturn dealer saying to bring my Outlook in for anothe upgrade. Have you received a second upgrade?
    Well I just had my upgrade about 2 weeks ago and it just started again like 3 days ago. So I haven't had the second upgrade. I just bought this car 2 months ago.
  • soccer4soccer4 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2007 Outlook and have had repeated transmission problems. We have had our car in 5 times for transmission problems, just like what you have mentioned: lulling, hard shifting especially at speeds around 40 -45 mph. The car can't seem to find the right gear. This last time we had our vehicle in the service manage gave us two options. Option 1: do another transmission update and loose around 2 mpg with no guarantees that this will work. Option 2: tear into the transmission and look for a leak. We chose option 1. We have only had our car back for a couple of days and we have noticed that the car does not seem to lull, but we have been experiencing some jerking around the 40-45 mph mark. Our experience has been that about two weeks after the upgrades the car goes back to its original annoying "weird" shifting patterns, So, only time will tell. We are also keeping track of our MPG. With the way gas prices are now we are not very happy about the fact that with this latest update we will probably loose 2mpg.
    I am still having major problems with my Outlook transmission. I am taking it in again this week for the 2nd upgrade but not feeling confident. This will be the third time for taking it in for this problem. I am considering taking action to have Saturn take the car back.
  • don121don121 Member Posts: 1
    I am having most all of the problems that are noted. I have all the songs and dances provided by the dealer service departments including they don't see anything wrong with the way the transmissions shift (ha-ha). I had them do the first softward update twice thinking it would help. No way. Comes back to normal in about a week or less. I have also dropped to a whopping 14.7 miles per gallon. I've verified it by both methods, car computer and computing miles driven divided by gallons purchased. I also found out original dealer repaired something on the transmission before selling me the car new a few months ago without informing me at time of original purchase. I am definitely looking at taking action with Saturn. My option would be for them either to replace the car or completely replace the transmission and computer with a new one. It is obvious that Saturn knows they have a problem or they wouldn't be putting out the softward updates. Please keep us informed if you find a solution. The transmission surges and down shifting has to be the primary reasons for poor gas mileage. As long as they keep advertising it on TV getting such great mileage, they should be responsible.
  • paynskipaynski Member Posts: 11
    I've had my '08 Outlook since mid Dec '07. I hate the electronic transmission control system. It's OK around town, but it's horrible on the road when you have to pass someone, or go uphill. When passing, there is a huge 2 second delay before power is applied. First the engine revs up to 5K rpm, then it downshifts depending on pedal position and selects a lower gear. This takes about 2 seconds, but it seems like an eternity when you want to pass or accelerate to maneuver. By the time the power finally comes on, it's too late, and you've lost your opportunity. When going up a hill there are large dead spots in the throttle where nothing happens until you apply more throttle. Then, it does the 2 second delay and downshift routine. I complained to the Saturn dealer service when I had it in for the 1st oil chg, but they said it has the latest software control update, and there's nothing further they can do. The service mgr also said many other owners are complaining about the same issue. My suggestion to anyone considering buying an Outlook: Drive it on the freeway and slam the accelerator to the floor at 35mph, and at 55mph. Then ask yourself if you're willing to live with the hesitation. It doesn't seem so bad until you're in a situation, and you need power NOW, but you have to wait 2 seconds for the engine to rev and the tranny control to figure out what gear to select. Gas mileage is way less than advertised. I get about 14.5 city, 20 hwy. :cry:
    Hello All,

Just want to let you know that I had a very close call while driving my Saturn Outlook on Father's Day. While traveling on the freeway I went to pass someone and the shifting lagged so much that I thought I was going to be hit from behind from an approaching vehicle. I have had it with this vehicle. I had an appointment scheduled today for what I thought was another upgrade (due to the phone call I received from my dealershhip) but when I got there I was told that there was nothing else they could do for me as I have the most current upgrade, number 0217. I called the President/General Manager of the dealership and all he would say is that he validated the fact that I have brought the car in for the correct upgrade and he would gladly drive the car to validate that it in fact runs like it should. He also stated that he spoke with the "engineer" and has been told that Saturn designed the delayed shifting in order to be able to control the gas mileage so it holds true to what they claim. This is yet another untruth about the vehicle as my gas mileage is terrible. I am now going to the Better Business Bureau to start the process of GM buying the car back. Not only does the vehicle not deliver but now being so doubted and snubbed by the dealership makes me ill. :lemon:
    Please let me know what happens. I have had the same problem with my car. I went back for the 3rd time and they said they don't feel what I feel so theres nothing they can do! I put my car up for sale but have had no offers. My gas mileage is really bad also. I already started a case with corporate but after I told them the dealer said they didnt feel what I did they said o.k. well call us if theres any change. And that was the end of that. I don't know what to do I hate this car I feel like it's a waste of money!!!
  • hawkeye15hawkeye15 Member Posts: 9
    I had the Same update #08-07-30-022.(Wasn't available until May 2008) It came with the warning of a possible mpg decrease. We have seen no decrease. I posted on the Acadia forum, too, but this update has completely eliminated any complaints I have had with the transmission. It operates in a completely normal manner. Any of you that were told you already had the most recent updates need to check that they did the bulletin number given above. I see about 14 mpg in very short in town trips around town and 21-22 at 76 mph on the freeway with an awd Enclave. I'd be interested if anyone still has complaints after this update.
    You drive an Enclave, not a Saturn Outook, correct?
    I drive an Enclave with the same engine and Transmission as the Outlook and Acadia. The TSB has the 2008 Enclave, 2007/8 Acadia, and 2007/8 Outlook listed at the top and didn't come out until the second week of May 2008. #08-07-30-022
    I was wondering if any of the previous posters went to their dealer to request the TSB# 08-07-30-022 that I posted about, before. They will not do this one and will tell you that you have the most current update unless you complain about the sluggishness and hesitation. Give them the TSB # and don't worry about the warning that it may worsen mpg. MOst of us on the other forums have not seen any decrease. The difference in the drive is night and day. I'd like to hear any of your results.
  • shillelaghshillelagh Member Posts: 17
    When I drive my 08' Saturn Outlook in the rain or drive it through standing water (6 inches or less) after a hard rain, there is a squealing noise and I lose power steering control. It will last from 30 seconds to a minute. It has been in the dealer's shop 4 days now and they called today to say there is a "fender well" replacement with added splash guards to eliminate water from wetting the belt. I live in central Florida and this time of year it rains every day. Try turning this moose without power steering, I'm glad I don't live in a mountainous area with this thing. Also, they are going to perform the computer upload per Saturn Bulletin TSB #08-07-30-022 regarding hesitation in down-shifting of the transmission.
    Just got our Outlook XR back after installation of "new and improved" fender well splash guards and installation of a re-program of the shift module per bulletin 08-07-30-022. Drove it in the rain, no loss of power steering control. However, the Bulletin upgrade did not correct the shift hesitation of the transmission. Service Advisor said to send "The Letter" to Saturn (9 months old with 45 days out of service). Soooo, it went out today. I have already received 2 Case #'s regarding the issues with this vehicle without any resolvement. Let's see what they have to say now. Will keep you posted.
  • cabeckervacabeckerva Member Posts: 1
    I hate this car!!!!! The transmission is horrible. Have you had any luck in getting it fixed?
    I am sure you read my threads. I have fought the fight and lost against GM. I went to arbitration to try and have the car bought back with no success. It is their thought in summary (GMs) that since I keep driving the car it must not be that bad. What am I supposed to do walk everywhere?!

If you want to know more, please let me know. I would love to see a Class Action filed or a huge revolt as this car is not what they claim it is!

Tracy
  • paynskipaynski Member Posts: 11
    I actually like most things about the car, but I totally agree with you that the transmission control is HORRIBLE! What's pathetic, is that mechanically, the transmission is fine. It's the "brain dead" computer that controls it that's the problem. I think it suffers from inadequate CPU horsepower. The shifting algorithym is far to complex for the tiny computer they chose to control it. If they simplified the algorithym, it could be improved significantly by just updating the software. I hope they come out with a worthy update soon. I'd give up 1-2 mpg just to have it drive like a good old reliable, hydraulic controlled, automatic transmission.
    -Warren
    I'm having an arbitration hearing tomorrow regarding repurchase of my 08' Outlook XR. What do they expect a person to do, ride a bicycle? Ours has had the engine rebuilt (4k miles), replacement airbag sensors, new wheel well inserts, leaking sunroof and a vibration after the engine rebuild that they say is my imagination. 55 days out of service :lemon: . Tomorrow, I hope GM doesn't want me to just drive it and see what happens next :confuse: . I'll post later to let you know how it went. I'm sorry your arbitration didn't go well. However, I really know what you're going through.
    Hi,

Are you located in California?

The arbitrator did drive me my car and of course the transmission basically worked okay. The unfortunate thing is that my car has never been "out of service". I guess I should have refused to drive it until GM came up with a fix. I could have done somethings better had I known more about the process.

The really frustrating fact is that GM knows there is a problem but can fall back on the following term. "It is the way the vehicle has been engineered."

I wish you the best in your hearing.

Tracy
    I'm located in Tampa, Florida.
    The BBB informed me that the arbitrator is a Lawyer and the GM representative will be present via telephone, joy joy!
    I did not know that other owners were having such problems until I started reading the Edmund's Forums. I was surprised that GM was trying to cover up the problems so blatantly. That's when I started keeping a logbook on my vehicle. In your state, do you have the option of filing for arbitration with the State Attorney's Office? Here in Florida, if I'm dissatisfied with the BBB's decision, I can file with the State Board of Consumer's Affairs. They will then forward the claim to the State Attorney's Office for arbitration. After that, if you're still dissatisfied, you can get an attorney and sue the manufacturer. If the Judge rules in your favor, the manufacturer has to pay all your attorney's fees. Good Huh?

Well it's late and I still have some work to do. Thanks for your support. J.
  • packerfan3packerfan3 Member Posts: 1
    Maybe you should try what I do. I too love the size, performance and features of this vehicle. I use the manual shifting option and leave it in 4th or 5th gear for cruising around town at that 45 mph range. Much better performance. It must be the 6th gear and desire for the gas mileage rating that causes the "hesitation". The 6th is basically an overdrive, and I use it for highway speeds 65+. Give this a try and see if you get better performance. I have 5K on my 2008 so far and am planning on keeping this for quite awhile. Let me know. ALso if you manually shift it using the buttons, it is a completely different vehicle.
    Hello Saturn Owners,

On Oct. 08/08, we had our Arbitration Hearing regarding our Saturn Outlook and their decision was in our favor. The GM Representative acted like a jerk. He tried to make it look as though we didn't know what we were talking about and if it's not in print in the GM manuel or shop work order he would not consider it as fact. I had everything in document and cronological order. I even had copies of GM's technical bulletins regarding the transmission, fender well splash guards, power steering pump and engine cylinder head problems. The arbitrator took the vehicle on a 20 mile test drive and found out herself about the vibration, transmission lag and excessive steering noise. The Arbitrator found 9 out of 12 items to be significant defects and has awarded us our down payment, costs for tax, tag, title, registration, service contract AND our 10 monthly payments back. All total: $12,000.00 How about those apples !!!!!!!!!! A GM Rep. called this afternoon to confirm our information to set the closing date for the repurchase which will be sometime next week. I'll post the final results.
    How can you tell what gear it's in? It doesn't tell you anywhere.
    Look at the tachometer. If it's over 2100 rpm, slap the gear shift into Low and punch the up + button on the shifter's left side. That's what I do.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    When you pull it down into the first position and use the buttons to shift up or down, the current gear is show to the right of the normal P R N D L indicator, IIRC. I have used it a few times but normally just use D.

I did find that on my 20 mile route to the golf course that if I control the speed instead of using cruise control I can up my MPG by about 2. Driving with the average MPG display I can really see the difference in gaining a little speed downhill and letting it bleed off uphill, vs the cruise having to maintain the constant speed especially uphill.

Recently took a 1300+ mile trip from Memphis to Gulf Coast and back. Reset MPG display leaving Memphis on 78 toward Birmingham. Disappointed in averaging less than 20 mpg on that hilly leg (using cruise). Not really bad for the complete hwy portion of the trip getting right around 21 MPG for the 1200 miles or so. I now think I could up that to around 23 MPG or more by keeping it from downshifting as much uphill and gaining speed for the next hill while going down. BUT that would defeat the ease of cruising with cruise, so I doubt I would do that for a complete trip. Love the 2008 Outlook XR so far :-)

Bill
    Believe it or not, but we have a few hills here in Florida. I kick off the cruise control when I'm approaching a hill because of that very problem of the Outlook's sensitivity to an incline. I'll hit resume after the top. It will give you +2 or +3 more miles per gallon. It's a very nice car but it does have some quirks. If you've read my threads you know that mine is just a lemon :lemon: . I've got a brand spanking new Toyota Highlander Limited sitting in my garage. The Outlook XR goes back to GM Saturn next Tuesday.
  • mruffinimruffini Member Posts: 14
    We have a 2007 Saturn Outlook with only 14k miles on it and we have had nothing but problems with it. I would never by another Saturn nor recommend it to anyone. We have had pretty much all of the same problems as other folks (recalls for leaky sunroofs, recalls for wipers that "don't work with snow/ice build-up") and other problems. We just got it back after not having it for 3 weeks, as the dealership had to try to diagnose a transmission problem (wouldn't shift into drive). They took it apart and had to replace a "spider gear" that they said was not faulty, but put into the car incorrectly during manufacturing. Then the heated washer fluid wouldn't work, and the dealer told me I didn't have that feature--another trip back and it was fixed (loose connection). Now we are on vacation, 200 miles from home, and the exhaust is loud as hell. I will never buy another saturn..they are a "different kind of car alright"....pieces of crap. I have a 2001 Ford Supercrew with 120k miles on it and it's more reliable than the outlook.
    I am sorry to read about your problems. Be more diligent than I was about the documentation and maybe you can GM to buy it back through the Lemon Law. I tried but was unsuccessful due to not enough documentation and that the car was not out of service long enough. I was told in arbitration, "Well, you drive the car so it must run okay," What do they expect me to do?! The vehicle has lost so much value in this economy that I cannot sell it either! Best of luck to you!
  • ski7304ski7304 Member Posts: 16
    Just bought my 2008 Outlook XE AWD last week. I am already noticing problems w/ sluggishness and hesitation. I almost got in an accident the other day when trying to merge onto the highway. The person in front of me on the on ramp was going 20mph....and so when I finally got to the highway and tried to accelerate there was a few seconds of hesitation. I was almost rear ended by an 18 wheeler. I did test drive the car on a city road and liked it, but now that I have it home I am noticing the problems. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I was going to call the dealer tomorrow, but it sounds like these dealers aren't fixing the problem.
  • richwoodrichwood Member Posts: 11
    I too have the same problems with my outlooks transmission.I contacted Saturn recently and was told they agree with the dealer,that since the computer codes are OK theres nothing wrong with the tranny.I informed the district manager on the phone of all the forums and other owners having the same problem and he stated he was unaware of any problems.So much for the "Personal Car Co" and we treat our customers like family.I would never buy another Saturn Product
    Look in your packet of booklets you received w/your Saturn. Find the "Consumer Guide to the State Lemon Law". Read the instructions regarding "Notification of Defect". Read it very carefully and abide by all the requirements. Take your vehicle into the dealership every week to repair the "defect" and it is called a defect under your warranty. After 3 attempts to repair the defect fails to your satisfaction, send a "Notification of Defect" letter to Saturn. Send Registered mail w/return receipt requested. By Law, they have 10 days to respond after they receive the letter at their office. Give them one more chance to fix the defect after their response to your letter. If they still do not repair the defect to your satisfaction, then you send them the "Motor Vehicle Defect Notification" form which is included in the Consumer Guide booklet. Send it registered mail with receipt requested. Call your local Better Business Bureau (BBB) and notify them of your actions. Ask them for assistance to arbitrate for either a replacement vehicle or total purchase refund. The BBB's assistance is free. It took approximately 45 days from the BBB's notification to a total purchase refund for my 08' Outlook. Good Luck and don't backdown or take the dealer or saturn's word for anything. Keep the BBB notified of everything.
  • ski7304ski7304 Member Posts: 16
    I had the computer module update done on trans on 2/6/09, 2 wks after purchasing car. Still not shifting correctly. I contacted Saturn Customer Service and they contacted the dealer. I was offered an exchange however there are very few Outlooks out there to choose from. Seems that dealers aren't ordering as many b/c of the economic crisis. Anyway, I'm bringing it in tomorrow to give them one more chance to "fix" it..then I'll see about an exchange. Thanks shillelagh for the advice, might have to go that route.
  • mick09mick09 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have an 08 outlook with the same tranny problems, will try your suggestion tormorrow.
  • davidlampheredavidlamphere Member Posts: 1
    THERE IS A FIX FOR THE OUTLOOK AND ACADIA SLUGGISH TRANSMISSIONS. The dealers have access to it via a bulletin but are not being encouraged to implement it because it reduces the mileage a couple mpg and if it is factory recommended it conflicts with the advertised EPA mileage rating. However if you insist that they install the fix software they will and they did for us and the car drives perfectly. Love it now. The fix was recommended on this blog some time ago. Tell the dealer to install the software from bulletin #08-07-30-022A to reprogram the transmission control module, The bulletin is dated August 1, 2008 and is document ID 2177083. Don't let the dealer talk you out of it. If you don't like it they can always put the old software back but I know you will like it.
  • richwoodrichwood Member Posts: 11
    I wish you luck,I've had the same problem with my 2008 since it was new.The dealer kept telling me theres nothing wrong as there's no codes given.I wrote Saturn who assigned someone to look into it and they informed me, no one else was having the problems and they agreed with the dealer.I informed them they should read the forums and they would see there is a problem with the Outllook.I would never buy a GM product again.

Rich Wood
    Just an update. There was a recall for the sun roof on most of the 2007 Saturn Outlooks, something to do with a drainage plug. We took it in to have the recall fixed and about 2 months later, after a rain storm, we backed out of the driveway and could hear water in the dashboard area, moving around. The passenger side, front floor was soaked. We brought it to Saturn and they replaced the same part, claiming that the recall replacement had issues. We had to bring it back a few weeks later to have it ionized because it smelled moldy. It's now back in the shop because the rear sunroof is leaking, this time causing water to drip from the lights over the 3rd row of seats. We are now without the car again as it's being fixed. This is the 3rd time for the same problem, and we were told to expect a call about a buy-back..anyone know how that works?

Thx.
    Mike
    Well, I heard back from my GM representative. They basically told me that I am out of luck for purchasing a 2007 Saturn Outlook. They refuse to buy the vehicle back. The person I spoke to was rude and would not give me his supervisor's phone number. Their customer service at GM sucks, but then again, I wouldn't expect them to stand behind their vehicles, with all of the financial problems they have. It's too bad that we are bailing them out, they are not worth the investment. The only thing they would offer me was an extended warranty, but I already purchased one for 7 years, 100k miles. I have no faith that my car will *EVER* see 50k before it's in a junk lot. Moral of the story, don't by a GM/Saturn
  • kmanzikmanzi Member Posts: 7
    I wanted to THANK YOU for posting this message on the boards. For over a year, I have been beating the crap out of my Outlook and have been in some dangerous situations when my car downshifts at 75MPH to pass someone or merging on to another highway and almost being rear ended. The delayed response, hesitation in acceleration and the feeling like I am constantly towing a trailer has now been solved. I had my car in 2 times this past year and Saturn assured me I have the "latest" software. But today I went armed with your bulletin number and document id number. What a difference! I actually think I love the car now.... I couldn't enjoy it before - that issue bothered me too much. Now I feel like I am driving a normal car. Thanks for taking the time to post this for everyone to read. I will try to spread the word so more folks can learn about it! They certainly are not promoting it.... not to mention, it is costing them money to fix this. With GM the way it is today, I highly doubt they would have a recall. I bet they are only fixing it when asked. THanks - I owe it to you!
  • donotbuysaturndonotbuysaturn Member Posts: 2
    We currently own a 2007 saturn outlook with under 25000 miles. We were driving on the Parkway in NJ and our 2007 saturn outlook began to say "service stabilitrak" on the dashboard and "traction control off". We did not pay much attention to it since it said service...(we thought it would not be something immediate). The car did sound funny but we continued driving. Then it said "engine power down" and it would not allow us to drive faster than 40 mph on the parkway. We drove on the shoulder (SUPER DANGEROUS!!) until we finally got home. The next morning I had to tow the car to the closest dealership which is far away because the closest dealership closed down. They told me it has a timing chain stretch and has to be ordered and then fixed.
    I will not have the car for at least 5 days and have to get a loaner from but have to pay $5 a day (its not about the five dollars its about the principle!) and they said nothing could be done about the $5 because of some gov't homeland security blah blah blah.

We feel cheated by saturn. We still owe 3 years on the car. What will the next three years be like? We are very unhappy. We bought American for a reason, wrong idea.
    DO NOT BUY SATURN.

Is there something legal we can do? Saturn cars are as expensive as the competitors, they should stand behind their products.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Sounds to me like their standing behind their product by taking of the repairs under warranty. Now, I can't understand why their charging you money for a loaner car when your warranty will pay for a rental. I work at a Saturn dealer as a service consultant and we have loaner cars we lend out to customers and we don't charge them for it. What would you say if your car had been a Toyota or Honda and the same thing happened? Would you tell someone not to buy those also? You have to remember it's a car that's was made by man and like all things in this world made by man, it's gonna break down, that's what warranties are for. In your case, that dealer should not charge you for a loaner, should have put you in a rental.
    I think the point that "donotbuysaturn" was getting across is that these problems seem a lot more prevalent on the Saturn's and therefore they are not recommending you purchase one. I have a 2007 Saturn that has had two manufacturing defects; one was that the "spider gear" in the transmission was not properly seated and the other was that we had over 7 leaks in the sunroof, stemming from the fact that they didn't properly install it (we had confirmation of this from the local dealer and GM corporate acknowledge this). I will say that the local dealerships do indeed stand by their cars, but I don't think that Saturn/Corporate does. We have had our 2007 Saturn with < 20k miles on it, in the shop for over 1 month total, in just 1.5 years of ownership. Based on that, and based on the crappy response from GM, I would have to NOT recommend purchasing a Saturn either.
  • donotbuysaturndonotbuysaturn Member Posts: 2
    I think that i should clarify that the loaner was an enterprise rental car that was down the street from the dealership and so I had to pay a $5 a day gov't fee. You might be right that they are fixing it, but I also have a volkswagen jetta with 160,000 miles on it and never had to do anything major like that. I believe that says a lot for a car.
    I tried to be patriotic, I feel like I am paying for something at macy's but should have bought it at walmart. I mean it is a car that costs over $30000. Its not chump change. Should it have a problem like that at under 25000 miles???
    No it shouldn't have that problem, in fact we've never encountered that kinda problem here at our dealership. But hey, it's a car and cars do break down. I have a 06 Sonata and haven't had a problem with it. Also owned a Chevy Malibu and parted ways with it after 58k miles and never had a problem same with Mazda Millenia, Nissan Altima and Maxima. I'm pretty sure you may never run into another problem with your car. Do you know if anyone else has experienced the same issue with their Outlook? Could just be just a fluke that it happened to your car.
    Fluke? Have you read any of the other postings or checked out the ratings in consumer reports? (Below average reliability). Saturn/GM vehicles have a poor track record.
    That may be, but are their any relating to a timing chain.
  • mkos1mkos1 Member Posts: 2
    as i was getting ready to send in my paperwork for my bbb auto line claim, i thought i'd check to see the prices of the 09 outlooks to determine if i wanted to request a replacement vehicle or repurchase for my 2008 outlook, somehow i wound up on this website and was shocked that so many people have been experiencing the same shifting problems i've been... although i've also experienced warning lights for service stabilitrac, service traction control and engine service... it's been in for repairs for these three things five times - the whole time i complained about the shifting but was told that it was the "nature of the beast" and have been living with it... as i am sending out my forms tomorrow can someone who has had success with a repurchase or replacement please advise me... should i include a copy of all the blogs?? what should i include besides what they ask me (which is sales agreement,vehicle reistration and work orders) thank you!
    Hi,

I was unsuccessful with my BBB claim. Reasons ...since the vehicle was not out of service for more than so many days and I kept driving it with the problem (what was I supposed to do?), that I didn't take it in enough times (only to hear, "There is nothing wrong with the vehicle, it is just how it runs in order to get the gas mileage GM claims it should get.) to fall under the lemon law and had gone over the number of miles allotted for a buy-back. I think I had 18,000 by the time I went before the BBB. It also didn't help that the BBB "judge" when test driving took us on a tour of the Oakland Hills where he used to live and not on roads where the issue is more prevelant. In the midst of this issue I did have a technician who rode with me and then drove my vehicle and said that there was definetly a problem but then was not allowed to talke to me about it anymore or give me documentation. As far as taking copies of this blog. I did do that only to be told that I could of created this information myself and there was no way to verify the "truth" of everyone if it were a real blog. I am now stuck with a vehicle that has dropped so much in worth that I cannot get a good deal on a trade-in or private party sell. I am not sure if you have blue-booked yours and seen the dramatic drop in worth but it is significant. I thought I was doing a good thing by buying a Saturn/GM vehicle but regret my decision to this day. I hope you have better luck.
    You could always try to call the corporate office of Saturn and open a case file on the problems.

Saturn Customer Relations Center (for Saturn owners):
    1-800-553-6000

Depending on the severity of the problems and how persistent you are, they may do something for you. I have to warn you though, it's a very frustrating process. They will open a case, refer it to a "regional manager" who will call you to discuss it. After you tell them you want a re-purchase, they will call the dealer who services the vehicle to confirm the issues, and then they will escalate it to someone else (they won't give a name, title, or phone number for this person--I suspect that they just put the case on hold for 24 hours and then call you back and tell you no). After 24 hours, they call you back and tell you that they will offer you an extended warrantee on the car, but nothing else. We were persistent and got them to cut a check for 1 month's worth of payments (since that is how many working days the car has been in the shop for the same problem). Our problems escalated after 15k miles and over 1 year, so the local lemon laws didn't apply....best of luck...