Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

Comments

• claytw05claytw05 Member Posts: 6
    Would really like copy of this technical bulletin.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might be able to find it at bbbind.com.
  • redbeard7redbeard7 Member Posts: 1
    Wow-you seem to be the first person I have seen on the internet with some satisfaction to your GM targeted transmission failure complaints. We have a 2008 Outlook with 52k bought brand new, always dealer maintained and as of this past week out of the blue, auto trans melted down. Quotes for replacement are $3300 for rebuilt and $4200 for new. we are 6 months out of the 5 year window from warranty. dealer has suggested nothing as to assistance and till your posting it sounds like that is because there won't ever by any. I have some hope now and will be talking to the service writer this coming week.
  • frs929frs929 Member Posts: 51
    Our 2007 was 2 mo out of warranty at 87000. We called GM and they didnt give any hint of helping. Got fixed at AAMCO. Cost $3800. Saw all the problems online and tried to get reimbursed by GM. Numerous calls and emails later nothing. GM doesn't stand behind their products and they suck
  • jah6719jah6719 Member Posts: 4
    Call GM customer service... complain.... complain... complain some more and demand to talk toa regional rep. If the the problem is a know issue (3-5-R Wave Plate) they will likely cove most, if not all of it. I went from sorry about your luck at the dealer, to GM covering 1/3 the repair cost, to the regional Rep authorizing all but a $100 deductible. The dealership has no say in this... call GM customer service!
  • 5sumpters5sumpters Member Posts: 5
    Look at Technical Service Bulletin 9-07-30-012F for the wave plate issue. I used this knowledge of the service bulletin put out by GM to get mine covered by them.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi redbeards7,

We'd value the opportunity to work with you to have this issue resolved. If you are interested, please email us your full name, VIN, contact information, and dealership to socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. We look forward to working with you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • fatherof7fatherof7 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2008 Saturn Outlook used through a local dealer, now I have only had the auto less than two years and now I will have to have a third transmission put in my vehicle. I noticed that out of nowhere it had trouble shifting down so I call the customer assistance center to find a local dealer to take a look a it as it is under 100,000 miles (92,000 miles). At which point the customer rep informed me that the auto is way outside of the 5 year warranty, so I asked when it expired. He told me five days....Seriously five days???

Now I called another authorized dealer, as Saturn dealership is gone and they want $700 to rip apart the engine to see what the problem is before GM can even get involved as see if they could pay some to any of the repair costs. And what happens if GM will not cover anything under warranty? Can I tell them to go ahead a put it back together and go to another shop? Nope... and then I am stuck paying for another transmission that will only work for 14 months at $3,600 a pop.

I am shocked the there is a constant drumbeat as to the issues with GM and the transmission of the Outlook to no avail, and it appears that GM is just ignoring the product failures. I expect more out of GM and cannot believe there would be no remedy whatsoever for a vehicle five days outside of the warranty. (to which I knew nothing about as I am the second owner of the car and how would I know the exact date the vehicle was placed into service).

Fingers crossed. Wish me the best.
    Hello,

Sorry that you're dealing with this situation and we can see how this can bring about frustration. If you would like for us to take a second look at your case, we would be happy to do so. If you're interested, please send us your case number and VIN.

Thanks

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Well after replacing the transmission in March of 2011, had to take it in because transmission was slipping again. Come to find out the whole problem all along was the torque converter. If this had been replaced before dropping the first transmission this issue would have been resolved! And to add on to all the "greatness" this vehicle has to offer my powertrain warranty expired in February of this year. Seriously over it! I can't believe all the problems I have had with this vehicle!
    Hi clay,

I apologize that you've experienced multiple issues with your vehicle. If there is anything I can do to assist with this issue, please let us know.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • azpowazpow Member Posts: 2
    I HEAR YOU! I am a mom and I'm afraid to drive my 2007 Saturn Outlook now! My transmission is going, brake fluid is leaking into the master cylinder, and my air bag sensors need replacing. The car has 79,000 miles, so it's getting up there, but please. I've gotten over 100,000 miles out of the foreign cars I've owned. I wanted this car because it is an American made car. I will never buy a GM vehicle again. I can't believe there isn't a warranty to cover the transmission up to 100,000 miles. GM should stand behind their vehicles.
  • azpowazpow Member Posts: 2
    Not only is my transmission going at 79,000 miles, but I have brake fluid leaking into the master cylinder and my air bag sensors need replacing. I will never buy a GM car again. I can't believe GM doesn't stand behind their vehicles. I bought this American made car because I bought into the "Buy American" malarkey. It's an inferior product. Where's a warranty!!?? It's very disappointing because I really liked my Saturn Outlook. It's a nice looking vehicle. Too bad it's a piece of crap.
    Hello apzow,

I'm sorry to hear that your transmission and other vehicle issues have led you to feel this way. I would like the chance to look more into this for you to see what options are available to you in addressing this matter. If you are interested, please email me your VIN, exact mileage, contact info, and the dealership you have been working with, and I will do more research on this issue for you. We can be reached by email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber].

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • cofailcofail Member Posts: 1
    Last year I had to replace the transmission on my wife's 07 Saturn outlook. 80,000 thousand miles and it just quit moving. This was a year ago this month. Bring the junk to the dealership only to find out that it needed a transmission change and I was out of luck because my warranty ended that February. I check this sight out to see if anyone had the problems I been having with. To my surprise, it seemed like everyone who had that year model has had all the trouble I had. Call GM to find out if they can help or if there was any recall on it. Obviously everyone who has this vehicle has had these problems. GM tells me there is no recall on the transmission nor the 900 dollar sensor that was bad. I complained complained and complained. Begged for help because the cost was 3800. Then I get a phone call from GM service saying to help me out in my difficult situation, they were going to knock off 500$. That was a slap in the face! I never changed the sensor but did replace the transmission. 80,000 miles and I had to change it! BS!!!! I will never buy GM again! Recall the junk you sold me and everyone else who has had these same exact problems. Never never never will own a GM product again. Had they recalled it or reimburse me for it, it would have been different but till this day, they refuse to do so. Good job GM, you just lost another customer!
  • gmaddnessgmaddness Member Posts: 2
    So, like everyone else here, I am here to vent my dissatisfaction with my 2008 Saturn Outlook. Well not even that actually. I love my Saturn Outlook. Rides great, looks great, and seats 7 PPL with decent power and options. What I am dissatisfied with is the Warranty. I just bought this vehicle, used, 2008 with 60,xxx miles. I've had it less than a month myself and the Transmission had an issues today. Just started to slip out on me.. on the highway I was in the final drive when it happen too. Just crazy. Just lost power. I pulled to the side switched through the gear box. P R N D L. Then back to Park, turned the engine off, waited about 30 sec. Started the vehicle and the transmission light was lite up. Barely got it to the filling station about a mile away. Parked it there. It won't go into reverse. I talked to a rep named Stacy on the Live chat.. told me the warranty was up according to the VIN.. and GET this.. it expired JULY 31 2013. Less than a month. Stacy says, "I'm really sorry please take it to a certified GM dealer to get it diagnosed". Really? Why would I put more money in your pocket.That close to the warranty expiration date and you can't squash the problem? Its just sad. These blanket warranties should have some type of buffer.
    Hello there,

I understand your frustrating with your warranty. Mileage is also a factor that takes effect when discussing a warranty end date. Whichever occurs first, the date or mileage, is when the warranty expires. This means your warranty was probably expired before the time parameter, of it being the end of July. However, I would like the opportunity to look into your whole situation. I do understand how having a transmission issue so soon after purchase is annoying to deal with. Please reach out to us via email at socialmedia(at)gm.com and include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealership you would work with. I look forward to hearing from you and assisting you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    GM Customer Care
  • haninihanini Member Posts: 2
    Aug 26, 2013 (9:34 am)
    I purchased my 2008 Saturn Outlook new at the now defunct dealership...A host of problems with this poorly built and engineered vehicle which makes me wish that GM would have been allowed bankrupt!

Last August the water pump went out on my vehicle at 38,000 miles. I took it and was told it would not be covered. I paid $422 to have it towed and the water pump replaced. Last month, I received a letter stating that there was a "recall" and that they would reimburse me for it...For the past year, I was also having problems with power steering, which I have noticed that there are MANY others experiencing the same problems and so I took it the dealer and was told that it needed a Power Steering pump, and an new gear at a cost of $2400.00...Also, for the past year, when ever we drove it in the rain, it would leak under the dashboard on the passenger side...called GM and was told I was out of luck, and the dealer charged $300 to fix 'a kinked drain hose" running from the sunroof to the front of the car...AND so after 10 days at the dealership and thousands of dollars later, I finally picked up my vehicle last Friday at 5:00 pm...On the drive home (about 5 miles), the vehicle would not go above 20 miles an hour, and when I stopped to take a look at it, it wouldn't go in reverse...SO today, I had the vehicle towed back to the dealer and was told that the transmission was shot...This vehicle, which cost me over $40,000 has ONLY 51,000 miles on it...The GM Assistance department is telling me that "things break"...What a crock! A truly piece of GM built crap! After 25 years of buying GM Vehicles, I will only buy foreign!
  • haninihanini Member Posts: 2
    Aug 26, 2013 (9:34 am)
    I purchased my 2008 Saturn Outlook new at the now defunct dealership...A host of problems with this poorly built and engineered vehicle which makes me wish that GM would have been allowed bankrupt!

Last August the water pump went out on my vehicle at 38,000 miles. I took it and was told it would not be covered. I paid $422 to have it towed and the water pump replaced. Last month, I received a letter stating that there was a "recall" and that they would reimburse me for it...For the past year, I was also having problems with power steering, which I have noticed that there are MANY others experiencing the same problems and so I took it the dealer and was told that it needed a Power Steering pump, and an new gear at a cost of $2400.00...Also, for the past year, when ever we drove it in the rain, it would leak under the dashboard on the passenger side...called GM and was told I was out of luck, and the dealer charged $300 to fix 'a kinked drain hose" running from the sunroof to the front of the car...AND so after 10 days at the dealership and thousands of dollars later, I finally picked up my vehicle last Friday at 5:00 pm...On the drive home (about 5 miles), the vehicle would not go above 20 miles an hour, and when I stopped to take a look at it, it wouldn't go in reverse...SO today, I had the vehicle towed back to the dealer and was told that the transmission was shot...This vehicle, which cost me over $40,000 has ONLY 51,000 miles on it...The GM Assistance department is telling me that "things break"...What a crock! A truly piece of GM built crap! After 25 years of buying GM Vehicles, I will only buy foreign!
    edited August 2013
    Hi hanini,

I understand you're dissatisfied with this situation and I am very sorry that you have had problems with your Saturn. I would like the opportunity to take a second look at your case and see if there is anything else that can be done to remedy this situation. Can you please email me your full name, VIN and contact information? I can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • marqmanmarqman Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2013
    I purchased a 2008 Outlook in July 2010. It ran well until January 2013. I have had multiple problems with it since hit 63,000 miles. Luckily most of the repairs have been covered by warranty – both factory and extended one I purchased. Here is my service history for the transmission.

Jan 31, 2013 – transmission failed on way to work. Had it towed to dealer. Dealer said transmission control module was programmed incorrectly. He reprogrammed the module and sent me on my way.

February 5, 2013 – transmission failed on way to work. Another tow job to the dealer. This time the dealer replaced 3-5-R wave plate as well as the clutch plate and torque converter. Codes P0717, P0756, P0796, P0842. Also found rack & pinion assembly bad – replaced under extended warranty coverage.

March 20, 2013 – torque converter shutter when shifting at 1800 RPM. After keeping the car for 12 days, the dealer replaced torque converter with another rebuilt converter.

July 23, 2013 – once again the torque converter is shuttering when shifting at 1800 RPM. Dealer unwilling to repair because symptom is not throwing any codes.

Any guess as to how soon I will have the vehicle towed back to the dealer?
    Hi marqman,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been inconvenienced by this previous transmission failure and understand your uncertainty concerning the reliability of your Outlook. If you would like us to document your transmission issues in our system for future reference please let us know and we will happily do so. If there is anything we can assist with we are available by email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • marqmanmarqman Member Posts: 4
    Amber N.

I am already in your system. Service request 71-1169087763. Both my grandfather and father swore by GM cars. I have done nothing but swear at them. My kids and my friends all know not to trust Government Motors - and this is definitely the last GM vehicle I will ever buy.
    Hello again,

Thank you for providing your case number. I've looked over your case and see that you were offered cost assistance with another vehicle repair. I'm sorry that you are still unhappy with your vehicle and apologize for your troubles. If there is anything else I can help with in the future, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Regards

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • gmaddnessgmaddness Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Laura M.
    I'll be in touch.
  • buss14buss14 Member Posts: 2
    Just today my car engine light came on and would not go over 30mph. I also have a 2008 Outlook that has already had a new transmission dropped in it. How would I know if it is the torque converter?

This is very frustrating as I have had the same problems.
  • buss14buss14 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Outlook Saturn that has already had the transmission replaced and again the engine light is on and will not go over 30 miles an hour. I bought the car new off the lot so I am the original owner.

It is over 5 years but under 100,000 miles. How long is the warranty on the power train on these vehicles?

Thank you,
    Laura Hall
    I could still get up to full speed with my torque converter problem. Sounds as if your transmission is getting ready to drop........again. I would get it in to your dealer.
  • kasnvaderkasnvader Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 outlook a year ago that had 80,000 miles on it. I bought it because I loved the Saturn Reputation of being a sound and reliable vehicle. I have friends that have been driving Saturn for many years and love their vehicles. Low maintenance and very dependable. I got this for my wife and she loved it. Saturday we were on a leisurely drive and all of a sudden the rpms went up and the car wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. I checked all the fluids and they were at the proper levels. The car was driven with a lot of TLC as we can't afford to purchase new vehicles every year. The car now sits in my driveway, does not go in reverse and the dealership won't do anything to help. I now have 100,720 miles on it. Checking the forums here really makes me question the quality of the transmission. Seeing how many people had trouble with their transmissions?!?!?! Why was there not a recall on these? Now I have to find some way to come up with $3000 to have this replaced/repaired??? I used to love GM, my family all bought GM vehicles and my ex's family all used to work for GM.
  • jerry194jerry194 Member Posts: 7
    I had the same thing happen to my 2008 a few months back. Sad to say but you might find a cheaper fix somewhere other than your dealer. They do good reliable work, but the costs are high. Private mechanics can do just as good. Good luck! feel your pain!
  • seah1018seah1018 Member Posts: 5
    Christina,
    Not sure if you are still with GM but if someone could get back to me I would greatly appreciate it. My father in law has a 2009 Saturn Outlook XR that the transmission has completely failed on him. He has had this thing in the dealership more often than not and has maintained this car meticulously. He has made sure to take it in whenever it is showing signs of problems, does the oil changes and other regular maintenance to it as it should be done. He is now in a bad situation where the transmission is out and has to try to find the funds to replace it. I have seen multiple issues with this car through other owners and sites stating similar problems to his. I have also seen the recalls that have come about as well. He needs some sort of rectification for what he has had to go through with the dealership and with this vehicle. Please get back to me with a possible solution!
    Hi Christina,

I am very sorry to hear that your father is experiencing problems with his Saturn transmission. I would definitely like to look more into his situation and try to help. Could you please send me your father's full name, contact information, VIN, mileage, and primary dealership? I can be reached through email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please also site that we spoke here as well. I look forward to working with you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • jimboc1963jimboc1963 Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 Saturn Outlooks transmission just went (so the dealer says), dealer is telling me that it is going to cost between $3400 and $2900 to fix. I had a 100,000 mile warranty on the car, I now have 101234 miles. Unlike others I am not going to trash GM or Saturn I am only looking for something fair.

So what if anything can GM do to help, does the 100,000 mile warranty stop at 100k, or is there leeway?

Yours Truly.
    Jim
    Amber,

Luckily my cousin is an auto mechanic so instead of paying $1450 to replace my torque converter at the dealership I only had to pay $890. Considering I had recently saved $1k for a vacation for my family it came out of that fund. So no vacation for my family this year, I guess it'll have to wait til next year.
    Speaking from a failed transmission on my 07 Saturn GM will do nothing. That's their customer service policy
    Hi clay,

I understand your decision to have your cousin repair your vehicle instead. I'm sorry that this repair affected your family travels this season. If there's anything else we can help with in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Good morning Amber,
    I passed on the information to my father in law. Either he or I will be emailing you the information requested. Thank you for your quick response to my inquiry. I am hopeful that this situation can be resolved sufficiently for both parties. Have a wonderful day.

Emily Higgins
  • apowapow Member Posts: 6
    Hello,
    I had the same issues you had with your transmission and I got the same response from GM, which was, "We are sorry you are having trouble with your car." But, they won't fix the transmission problem with their cars. Even the Aamco manager I spoke with said he has serviced many of these cars and it's always the same problem. It's a defective part (the 3-5-R thing) but GM won't issue a recall. I also will never buy another GM car and I've been telling everyone I know to stay away from GM. In the Whole Foods parking lot I parked next to an Acadia (same car as the Outlook) and as the driver was getting into her car I asked her if she had trouble with her transmission. She rolled her eyes and said to not get her started. So, it's a KNOWN PROBLEM that GM will not address. I, too, wish they had been allowed to go bankrupt! Tax dollars saved them and now they won't do right by the tax payers.
    Emily,
    This is what you will hear from GM:

Thank you for contacting me with your vehicle concerns. I am very sorry that you are having these vehicle issues and understand your apprehension towards getting a repair. We trust that our dealers will take the proper steps towards correcting any vehicle issues. If you choose to have your vehicle repaired, we would like to stay involved throughout the process to ensure that every issue is addressed to your satisfaction. If there is any assistance we can provide to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Thank you

Amber N.

That is all. They will not issue a recall or a discount on repair. They do not stand behind their vehicles.
    How did you get reimbursed for the issues your car has had? All I get from GM is "Oh, we're sorry you're having trouble. We'd like to be with you through this and make sure your dealer does a good job....blah blah blah". This is obviously a known issue that GM won't address.
    What can you do for us? We all have the SAME issues. I just shelled out almost $4,000 for a new transmission. And yes, it was the 3-5-R wave plate!!! WOW! Just like everyone else. So, stop posting here saying you want to help us if you can't help us. We are all very upset with GM.
    I passed on the information to my father in law so hopefully he can get some resolution from GM. I am willing to give them a chance to show some sort of customer support before saying anything negative. It can be very frustrating, especially in this economy, to constantly have to spend money to fix a car, and I totally understand the anger from these situations, I am just choosing to be hopeful. I believe persistence is key to getting resolution. You can't be willing to take No for an answer and you have to keep your cool in situations rather than get angry and yell. GM needs to stand behind their cars, and if there is a consistent problem they need to recall the car, I however don't know exactly what the issue is with my father in laws car, just that the transmission went completely out. I am hoping, since he has only had the car a couple of years, that they will take care of him the way they would want their own parents taken care of, and rectify the situation. I will also point out my father in law is kn his 70's and just like everyone else does not have the extra money yo pay for a mew transmission that shouldnt have gone out in the first place. Anyway here's to being hopeful.
    Hello everyone,

I understand that you are unhappy with your vehicle, and apologize that you're experiencing these various issues. If you would like our assistance in getting your vehicle concerns resolved we would be glad to help. I cannot guarantee what amount of cost assistance will be offered, but will work to find the best option in addressing your concerns. Please feel free to email me personally at socialmedia@gm.com.

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    I have been through all this before. Our 07 Outlook transmission broke at 87000 and two months past the warranty . GM did nothing. That's their customer service policy. Afterall they no longer make Saturns, they don't care
    I was hopeful, too, as were the others on this site. No one is yelling as far as I can tell, but we are all angry and frustrated because GM will not do right by their customers. You'll get the same response we all got, which is, "Gee, sorry about your car". Good luck to you. I do hope you get a better response than everyone else did.
  • nvr2quiknvr2quik Member Posts: 1
    I have read alot of posts about this transmission issue, but noine seem to be the same as the problem we are having. Has anyone had an issue with the transmission not shifting at all? My wife for 2 days in a row now, has jumped in to go to work, and the tranny doesnt shift out of first. I reset the computer the first time, backed up 20 feet and once I put it in drive again, it seemed to be fine. This morning that didnt work as well. After resetting the computer, we had to drive in reverse at high speed before it started shifting in drive. Looking for any input we can find
  • jerry194jerry194 Member Posts: 7
    I had this issue, would not shift out of first gear. I do not remember the part exactly, but it was a quick fix, about $500 and a day at the dealership. Happened out of the blue one day at about 120k miles.
  • jon125jon125 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Saturn Outlook has all the well known transmission problems like sluggishness when passing or going uphill. Recently I had to stop suddenly to avoid an accident and the next time I drove the car on the highway as I was about to pass a car the transmission downshifted and I could not go faster than 40 mpg, and the car was shaking. I was able to get to my destination and the next time I went out the car was fine but the check engine light turned on and eventually went off a few hour later. A day later I took the car to the dealer and they supposedly run a diagnostics and told me that the problem was that the transmission was not getting a good signal from the electrical system and they are asking for $1500 to fix the problem even though they admit that they are not exactly sure which electrical component is failing. Could be the circuit board or a cable. The car is running just fine so I asked what is the worst than can happen if I do not get it fix and they said that one day the car will stop shifting. Has anyone experience this issue?
  • sirbevosirbevo Member Posts: 1
    2008 Saturn Outlook

Well, just got off the phone with the dealership. The rep said the transmission needs to be rebuilt due to a defective waveplate. $2800 to tear it down and replace parts.

I do have a case open with GM customer service so I haven't authorized work to be performed on the car yet. I'm really hoping GM covers as much as possible. Warranty is out by 6 months but only 76k miles on car. I'm astonished at how many of these SUV's across the Lambda platform have transmission problems at such low miles.

I will update with what transpires.
    2007 Saturn Outlook with 87000 miles and 2 months out of the 5 yr warranty. GM did nothing. I would think they would at least stand behind their shoddy workmanship.