Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What was your first car? What happened to it?

Comments

• amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    '55 BelAire 2 dr hartop with 265-4V auto, first truck was '52 Chevy 3 window with granny gears, 235 Six, easy to
    replace Carter 1YF, fuel pump, adjust valves. Lots of fun. First car I bought (USAF) on my own was '54 Olds 98 2 Door hartop with 4 bbl carb and hydro for $275 from Staff sergeant. Would burn rubber on initial launch. Lots of tickets

'55 BelAire was sold in 1964 by my Dad for $450.00 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    My folks gave it to me in '76. It had the 440cid high output engine with a monster Holly 4bbl carb. My dad used to pull the family travel trailer with it -- a 31' Airstream. It was top of the line in its day. 4900lb curb weight, electric windows, electric door locks, automatic brights dimmer, electric 6-way driver seat, radio station seek button on the floor next to the dimmer switch, separate climate controls for front and rear (imagine A/C on in the front and heat in the back).

Zero to 35 it was slow, but 35 to 120+ was pretty quick. 9.5 mpg city, 10.5 highway, using premium leaded if you could find it. The owners manual said it liked to drink 98 octane but I never found anything higher than 92. It had a 25 gal fuel tank. You could land small planes on it if you ran into the wind.

I sold it for $400 in '78. I never mention it anymore to my dad; whenever I did he gave me grief for selling it. What he'd do with it is beyond me. But it was a great car.

Now I have a '99 Chrysler 300M I bought new. It's only my 4th car, including that old Imperial. The average mileage of the three I've sold has been 157k at an average of 10 years old. I plan to increase both averages with this car.

Igor
  • dpwestlakedpwestlake Member Posts: 207
    I sold it to a girl I had gone to High School with.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    My first car was a 1968 Buick Special Deluxe 6 passenger station wagon I purchased in 1981 at age 16 for $650.00. Despite being a station wagon, the car was very stylish with sleek classic 60s lines. The car was in very good condition requiring just a little effort to buff a slightly oxidized finish. The interior was like brand-new. This exceptional automobile not only took me through high school and college but my took younger brother through college and beyond.

The Special Deluxe was the base model of the Buick mid-size line (i.e. Skylark). Despite its base model status, this was still a very attractive car with its teal blue mist finish and white enamel top. It hard a medium blue vinyl interior with AM radio and power rear window. It rode on 14" Goodyear bias-ply white stripe tires with full wheel disks. My car had Buick's 350 (5.7 litre) cid V-8 with 2 bbl carb giving a very respectable 230 hp. It was mated to a Hydramatic two-speed automatic that was damn near indestructible.

This car handled very well and could hold its own in nasty N.E. Pennsylvania winters with merely the application of snow tires. Despite its antiquated all-drum brakes, the car could stop on a dime. Gas mileage (regular leaded) was a very respectable 19 mpg for a 1968 intermediate which would be bigger than today's full-size car. My brother, using the appropriate additives, was able to run the car using regular unleaded when leaded gasoline was phased out in Pennsylvania in the late 80s.

Repairs were a snap. This car was beauty in its simplicity. All engine components were easy to identify. Today you open the hood of a car and you don't know what you're looking at. Replacing a water pump took a mere 20 minutes! I would dread having to perform this task with today's cars. Spark plugs? No problem! Parts were cheap and plentiful. Repairs can be done by anybody with rudimentary mechanical skills. Besides replacing the water pump, the car asked nothing of me except basic maintenance, (oil change, transmission fluid change, belts, brakes, etc.).

There was plenty of room for cargo in the back. Perhaps much more than a modern SUV. I was almost able to haul the contents of entire college apartment in the back with the rear seat folded down.

One of the things I didn't like was access to the spare tire. The spare was stowed in a compartment on the right rear of the car and required the strength of Schwarzenegger to lift from its deep well. If that wasn't bad enough, removing and replacing the jack was also a chore.

Ergonomics were a joke in 1968. The seats had about as much support as your average park bench. Your back would hurt after a while on long trips. The heater controls were two tiny thumbwheels you had to constantly crank to get to the proper setting. The horn button was a longitudinal piece in the lower bottom 2/3 of the steering wheel that required one to take his hand off the wheel to activate. You almost needed gorilla arms to reach the radio. I later hung an AM/FM cassette unit from the bottom of the dash. I didn't want to remove the original Sonomatic radio with its cool "BUICK" lettering on the buttons.

Two other things were that the shine on a teal blue mist finish doesn't last long and required me to polish the car every two weeks and that bias-ply tires don't last as long as today's steel-belted radials. As an aside - don't mix bias tires with radials. It will very adversely affect handling.

I drove this car until I bought my first new car in 1987 - a black Chevrolet Caprice Classic and gave the station wagon to my brother. Unfortunately, my brother doesn't maintain cars very well. The body began to rust and the car soon lost all of its hubcaps but despite his neglect the car still ran until 1992! Even then all the car needed was a new battery, but the body was pretty much shot. Mechanically, the car was still bulletproof. After the wagon went to the boneyard my father gave my brother his old 1981 Ford Thunderbird. My brother later said, "I should've kept that station wagon. It was a much better car!" If you can still find one of these Buicks - go for it and keep it forever!
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    My aunt gave me a 1971 Super Beetle (powder blue of course) when I was 13. My dad and I would drive it all over the place on the weekends. Having grown up in the country I had the pleasure of learning to drive at a very young age. The Beetle served me well until my father hydroplaned the thing on his way home from work. All the windows shattered and the fenders and roof were dented pretty badly. The sharp creases in the sheet metal started to rust and then the clutch went out. By that time, however, I had fallen in love with a 1970 Ford Torino GT - bye, bye Beetle.
  • hood54hood54 Member Posts: 12
    My parents found the car, owned by a co-worker, and helped me get a small loan to buy it( to establish my credit). I bought it 1974. I think I paid $600 for it. 400cid, quadrajet carb., automatic stick in the console. It ran great; the faster it went, the lower it sat on the road; unlike my Mom's Galaxie 500. It started to need some serious maintenance by 1976 and I (college student) didn't have the money. Gas prices went up and 16 mpg highway was no longer acceptable. Finally sold it to my brother before I went Germany in 1977 and he sold it in 1980. I wish I had told him to check with me first. I would have bought it back. Still miss it.
  • beantacobeantaco Member Posts: 12
    with a semi automatic transmission, bought it used for 4000 dollars had it for ten years, two weeks after I rebuilt the engine for 500 dollars it caught fire southbound on the FDR drive in NYC at 96th street, The insurance co. gave me 3000 for it,total loss. I miss it every day.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I got my first car for $700 back in 1981 when I was 15. It was a beat up green 1967 Chevrolet Impala. Only good thing it had going for it was the 325 hp 396 c.i. big block engine. I spent the next year restoring into something that was a joy to drive. Kept it until 1991 when I sold it for $2600. It really like to suck down the gas, so I'm glad it had a 26 gallon gas tank. Gave me a lot of good memories throughout high school and college.

For those who would like to see an old picture of it, please go to the following web site....

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=263307&uid=81123

-David

• cgsangelcgsangel Member Posts: 79
    My first car I bought in 1969 for was a used '64 Opel Kadett for $199.. The engine ran perfect, for all its 46 horsepower. The previous owner really beat it, and the body showed it. Dents and rust. I worked all one summer just making it ready for the road. It went for two years before the rust did it in. I loved that car because it was a 4 speed stick and having that transmission made the most of the horsepower it had. It was mainly a city car for me and finding a parking space was never a problem. Cost to run it was cheap, when gas prices were around 35 cents a gallon. I was getting better than 30mpg when my brother was getting around 15mpg with his Impala. Being a station wagon model was great because I could fold down the back seat and move bulky stuff. It would have been hard to find parts, had it broken down. But mechanically, it ran as good when I sold it as the day I bought it... in fact better after my Dad tuned it up.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    The car had been lovingly maintained by the owner, who was the most incompetent mechanic alive (as an example, he had installed a set of front brake shoes, upside down, in the rear). I had owned the car for about six months and was on a first-name basis with the guy at the parts counter of Bel-Kirk Motors near Seattle when a salesman, trying to unload leftover '69 cars ( the '70 cars had just come in), offered me $900 trade-in. Since this more than covered the required down payment, I couldn't sign fast enough. I asked the used-car manager about the old crock a few times (it was always 'waiting for parts') until the time he said "with any luck, it's at the bottom of Lake Washington". Then I stopped asking. Oh well, I bought another car from them a few years later, so I don't feel too guilty.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    I went through several borrowed cars, a 63 Belvede, 65 International truck, 64 Buick Electra 225 and a 65 El Camino that never ever ran! But the first car in my name that ran is my 68 Mustang 2+2. Burned up one engine and one tranny. I still have that car, its sitting in the garage about 60 feet away. Every once in a while I will get a bug in me and get it started and run it for a few months. Recently its just been sitting. I am going to use it as a project car for me and my son to work on together. In January I'll start driving it again after I replace the windsheild that is broke. Checking ebay everyday for needed parts. But one day once he has his eagle badge from Boy Scouts I'll hand him the keys. Then when he is 21 I may tell him why the car was so special to me. (and my first girlfriend). I think I may get it back! lol
  • truckdudetruckdude Member Posts: 55
    Bought it from the original owner in '87 for $2500...what a steal. Fastest car in high school. Added $4000 show paint job. Was a sweet ride. Sold it 3 years ago after it sat in my garage for 4 undriven years. Got $6700 for it, running but interior torn out and rusting quarters. BUT, wish I still had it now that I could afford to restore it and keep forever.

Ah, the mistakes we make when we are young and need money...
  • markedmanmarkedman Member Posts: 1
    It all started in April of 1971. My parents use to go to the officers club at Fort Jackson in South Carolina for a little fun, playing Bingo. They use to pick one or two of the 9 kids, to go with them. This was always a load of fun. This particular Tuesday night, it was finally my turn to go. After selecting a card, I sat down for an evening of play. (I'm getting there... hold on) The last game of the night had the grand prize of a new car. "N44" was called. I poked my Mom in the ribs and asked her to make sure I had won. She was floored. She started yelling Bingo and then there I was, yelling Bingo!
    I was only 13 when I won it so my sister got to use it until I got my license at 15. I slept in it the first night that I had it. No, it's not that weird if you're a 13 year old kid. lol
    Anyway, it was a light blue, it had air conditioning, chrome, it was the loaded model. It had the 2000 cc engine giving a enthusiastic 110 horsepower. Oh, and the automatic transmission.
    I had this car until 1980, when I sold it for $150. to a former Vega owner. It took me all through my teen years with many many fond memories. I lived in Columbia, South Carolina when I got it. I ran it all through the south and all the way to New York, when I moved here. I ran this car all the way up I-95, doing 70 mph with no problem. With a bad cam, and leaking oil like a sieve. The oil would run down the fenders it was so bad. I would pull into the gas station and say, "Fill it with oil and check the gas."
    It looked like hell when I sold it. She had been rear ended, the front fender was smashed up from a parking lot incident ( thats another story), the master brake cylinder was bad, the brake lights... what brakes lights!, the banging cam shaft, (its third), but, she ran.
    I now have a 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII that I adore. I only hope that this one treats me like the Pinto did... loyally
  • mrcpfg1mrcpfg1 Member Posts: 5
    Car was built like a tank. Started by turning key to "on" position and stepping on the accelerator pedal. On a very busy highway, on a friday evening (on my way to pick up a date), I was stopped at a light. When the green light said GO, the transmission said NO! By a stroke of luck, a neighbor was driving by. he helped me push it to the side. I called a tow truck, got a ride home w/ the neighbor...and never saw that car again.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It wasn't a Buick? The Olds started by turning the key.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    with 265 c.i. ?? engine and aluminum heads, 3 speed auto on the floor & white leather bucket seats and paint was called cranberry something....BUT my second car was the real deal...traded in the F-85 in November 71 for a car my brother found on the dealers lot while borowing my Old's for the day, 69 AMX in one of the 3 Big Bad colors (Blue, 264 units made in this color opt.) that were introduced for this one year only. Got $500 trade in on Olds and paid $2400 for AMX. This car is presently getting a once over and new paint as we speak for my gift to it after 30 years of ownership. Surprisingly enough it's costing me the same to have painted as what I paid for it 30 yrs. ago, but well worth it!
    Loaded w/AMC's big block 390 V8/315 hp, Carter 650cfm 4bbl, Hurst Competion Plus 4spd. w/Borg Warner T-10 tranny, 3:54 twin grip posi rear, A/C, tilt wheel, power steering/brakes. LOVE THIS CAR & glad I never fell prey to getting rid of it for something different. It's a summer driver only car that I will be taking to cruise-in's or plain ole joy rides w/the wife as I have been doing for past 30 years. Yea I'm that young!! Bought it when I was 18.

Ray T.
  • gmlover1gmlover1 Member Posts: 60
    1962 mercury comet. had to bye a second one just for parts. 144 cid 3 on the tree vacuum wind shield wipers put 30k on it in 1 year and probably never went more than 10 miles from home.
  • smokin_olds442smokin_olds442 Member Posts: 41
    My first car was a 1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 4-door sedan. The car had a 307 Y-block in it and being it was my first car I wanted to give it a little more power...my Dad took the heads to a friend of his to get milled. The car had noticable power gains, but it always burned more oil than gas! Needless to say, it wasn't practical and I sold it for $450
  • speedshiftspeedshift Member Posts: 1,598
    144 underachieving cubic inches, 3 on the tree (preferably with a worn synchro on first so you had to touch second to go into first, even when stopped) and vacuum-operated wipers that slowed to a crawl when you needed them most.

With that car you didn't WANT to go more than 10 miles from home.

Regarding the Olds, I'm not sure it's a good idea to even do a valve job on a tired engine, especially if the rings are suspect. I did that once and turned a decent-running Chevy with no obvious blowby into something a mosquito abatement district could use.
    My father taught me how to replace gears and synchros on that comet. after I destroyed the first one then busted second one he just could not understand how I could do so much damage with so little engine.
    If you think that 144 ci engine was gutless with a 3 speed, you should have seen it with a 2 speed Fordomatic. It was almost surreal. By flooring the accelerator and making it drop down into low you could definitely get it to stop slowing down. At least the engine sound was entertaining. I have to admit that it was reliable. It even took a garbage truck in the left front fender and survived. I gave it to my best friend and he restored it. God knows why.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Dad said with the automatic it could almost take the slack out of the universal joints. But on the up side I never got hurt in it which as dad said later was the idea in the first place.
    Speaking of large objects, my Falcon took a lumber truck on the right rear fender. I collected the insurance payout, drove it a few more years and then sold it to a friend. Guess I shouldn't complain.
  • dwgrizzledwgrizzle Member Posts: 6
    My first car was a 1971 Pinto also.
    Unfortunatly I was rear ended with
    only 37 miles showing on the odometer.

Dave
    Wow rear ended in a pinto and lived to talk about it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well, Dave, at least you got to enjoy the best part if its life.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Was actually a 215 cubic inch all aluminum engine that Olds borrowed from Buick.
  • tjparkertjparker Member Posts: 25
    No, I didn't buy it new! paid 300 for it in 1970, just after I got my license. It was a pickup, but the body and bed were really thrashed, and the doors wer missing. Found a guy at one of the old car swap meets that had the 4-door body for sale for 50 bucks. Bought that and later sold the pickup body for 52 bucks. I've worked on it off and on for the past 3 decades, but have been distracted by grad school and family. Good news is I still have it!
  • jcg265jcg265 Member Posts: 2
    It was 2 doors and blue with large aftermarket
    bumper guards and diamond shape white walls by
    General Tire. I paid cash for it ($1400) and
    it fit my budget for a used car at the time. I
    only wish I had $250 more at the time so I could
    buy the car I really wanted, a 66 Red T-Bird with
    white vinyl roof and interior. The Nova was a
    dog, I only had it for 14 months before I traded
    it in for my first new car, a 75 Mercury Monarch
    with soon to be re-called Firestone 500 tires!
    Everyone raved about the straight six that came
    in my Nova but in retrospect I shoulda got a
    V-8, T-Bird that is. I often think about how the
    purchase of my first car determined the entire
    timing of all my future car purchases. If I went
    with the T-Bird I probably would not be in the
    market for a new car in 1975, etc. etc.

Jerry
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    I knew it was a small V-8 but I thought the block was cast & only the heads were aluminum. Well it served me well until I traded it for the 69 AMX which is presently in the body shop getting a long awaited paint job.

Ray T.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    a big cool car, bought in '85 for $450, fit eight high school kids comfortably (vinyl power bench seat). The problem: GAS. This car got MAYBE 6 mpg (455 4 barrel, not especially well maintained), you could literally watch the gauge drop. I worked 15 miles from home and I'm sure I spent half of my $3.35 an hour just on gas to get there. I sold the car for $50 to my cousin (it had a dead battery, this seemed major at the time) the next winter, he promptly ran it into a tree at 50 mph, causing no injury to him but *some* injury to the car.
  • stsmanstsman Member Posts: 8
    This was the first year for the Chrysler 300 and I bought it in 1962 in my soph.year of college.This car "honked"!For example,it had the 331 c.i. Hemi with dual 4 bbl.carbs.It had the trans.shift lever on the dash(2 speed),Park,neutral,reverse,drive and low.Thge car had ostrich hide leather(no lie),it had a tag sewn into the rear seat attesting to the fact.It had pwr.seats,air cond.pwr.windows and strange,but true a 6 VOLT electrical system.I chronically had to get jump started.The car was white,got about 8 miles to the gallon,cruised at 100 mph like it was on air,and travelled to Boston every weekend for two years(300,mile round trip.I bought it then for $400.Alas,it "spun" a bearing one night,racing a 413 wedge Ramcharger,and,believe it or not,ended up selling it to the guy I raced,for what I paid for it!Fun car,a Classic!That was my 1st car!Anyother other oldtimers out there with similar tales?I'll bet there are..Later..thanks for your interest.STSMAN
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    I beleive the 6 volt electrical system was commonplace in the '50's. Now carmakers are working on 42 volt electrical systems to run all the computers and accessories on newer cars. Only thing holding it back is the fact that a short in a 42 volt system is much more dangerous than a 12 volt system.
    You're right. The changeover to 12 volts, at least in American cars, came just about the middle of the '50s. In fact, for Ford at least, I'm pretty sure that the '55 was 6 volts and the '56 was 12.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    except VW, who waited I believe until 1967.

Most domestics went to 12 volt in 1955, some sooner than that.
    I think the changeover was encouraged by the trend to larger high-compression V8s. Some of the last 6-volt starters must have been pretty marginal.
  • avalanche325avalanche325 Member Posts: 116
    Nasty yellow, three speed manual, needed a head gasket. Put that on and got two years out of it. The last 6 or so months were more of a quest than anything.

This would have been in about '79, I was 15. So, a five year old car barely worth $50. Way to go Chevy!!!!

It had rust, rust, and rust.

The engine lasted for a while. But then in good old Vega fashion started to use a LOT of water and oil. I literally went through a 55gal drum of oil in a year and a half! I used to carry 6 gals of water in the trunk.

The last six months..... I would crank the engine over and water would shoot out of the exhaust pipe. Then I could get a cylinder or two going. Sometimes by the time I got to school (8 miles), I could have all four going. It would take a mile or so to get up to speed with 2 or 3 firing. It also had constant steam coming out of the exhaust. It would take me two "hops" to get to my girlfriends 18 miles away. Stop halfway, totally overheated, get some water in, go the rest of the way. Talk to her parents while the car cooled down, put some more water in and off to the movies!

I sold parts off of it for about $200. So, all that fun and a profit too.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Is still with me to this day. It is a 1987 Chevrolet Nova CL sedan, 3-speed auto, with only 66k miles. Nothing ever goes wrong with this car and everything is operational. My father bought it brand new in Dec. 1987; by coincidence, on the day I turned five. Of course, there are those out there who will say that the Nova is just a badge-engineered Corolla (which it really is).
  • wgraferwgrafer Member Posts: 592
    In spite of my Dad's warning, I had to have this white w/black&silver vinyl seat beauty. It had a 413/4 barrel wedge (I think 365 HP), and it got 12 mpg in the beginning but dropped down to 9 over time. Working at a truck stop helped (with a .02/gallon discount gas cost me .2590/gallon), and she weighed in on the scale at 4,280 lbs. The weak spot ended up to be the rusted out trunk, but with an "adjustment" from the seller, at a $285 purchase price (in 1967) who could complain (the $15 adjustment bought some diamond plate which my Dad and I welded in to hold the gas tank up). Her name was "The Tank", and she got me and my paying guests faithfully from NJ to Niagara Falls. She also cruised around Buffalo and Toronto on occasion - a perfect road car. Her road manners were great (even if the power steering was a little on the STRONG side), and for fun you could always push the reverse button in halfway to illuminate the backup lights to scare any tailgater. The Tank was fast too - once a 'hot' '63 Ford follwed me home to see what I had after The Tank left him in the dust from a light in Ramsey NJ. After an ex-girl friend crashed into her side the insurance settlement bought her a new door and a new paint job which made her perfect, so I sold her at a $65 profit in 1968 (and have regretted it ever since).
  • rapunzelrapunzel Member Posts: 15
    My first car is lightyears from what I have now. My first car was a 1982 Buick Regal with a 4.3L diesel engine. Couldn't get out of its own way, 0-60 clocked with a calendar. Liked the James Bond smoke screen I could put out when someone followed too closely. Dad sold it with 125K miles on it (we'd bought it at 75K), for $200 more than we paid originally. That's because I'd paid for all the repairs in the meantime! My current car is a '99 Mustang GT, and I love it! No slow issues there.

My husband's first car really belongs in this topic more than mine, because it's a '49 Chevy that he still owns. Needs some work to be safe on the street, but that's our next project. That will come before we buy a house, I'm guessing. And it's name is the Walrus, because of the tusks on the bumper. For anyone who's interested, you can see it here.

http://www.billtanner.net/walrus.html

The car sure doesn't *look* like it needs to be restored!
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    ...I wish some of the cars I've had were that "unrestored" !
    That reminds me of an old Chevy--it may have been a '50--that a friend had. He rewired the entire car himself and, being an engineer, he made the loom. And, being an engineer, the loom looked nothing like the original, or like any other car wiring loom I ever saw. It looked more like how you'd rewire an old lamp.

Yeah, if your Chevy's condition is as good as it looks I wouldn't rush into restoring it. You could easily get buried in that car. Use the money on a down payment for a house--it'll appreciate a lot better than an old Chevy.
  • rapunzelrapunzel Member Posts: 15
    The work we need to have done on it right now is brakes and engine work. Strictly for safety and driveability. The body needs some work, but that's on the back burner. We just want it back on the road, because it's a fun car. It is a great picture and a great-looking car, isn't it? My husband was waiting for someone to notice that the grill is a '50, although the car is a '49.

speedshift, you're right about submerging in restoration, given the opportunity. That's why we're only concentrating on the mechanical stuff for now. We sold his house, so we have the down payment for the next house, but we don't want to sink it into the Walrus and be stuck in my townhouse. No garage is a big problem. The carport is fine for our daily drivers, but not for the Walrus. Although my neighbor has a '48 Chevy in his carport, under a cover.
  • jwilberdingjwilberding Member Posts: 25
  • zman73zman73 Member Posts: 1
    First car was a 2nd hand 1973 240Z bought which I bought with girlfriend in the summer of '76 while parents were vacationing far away. My own money, my own choice (the folks would have given me the money if only I'd bought something big, American and sensible ... being a parent now, I guess you can't blame them).

Over the seven years I owned it (until my first son was born)I depolluted it, exchanged the two SU carbs for three Webbers, put on headers, a hot cam, Koni shocks, 7" western dish chrome rims, 215/60 Eagle GT's, anti-sways and Recaros. Everything else was stock, so it had the originally designed bumpers and original ride height ... before it became the monster 260, 280.

The car was perfect. Reliable as hell and rode like a slot car amusement ride -- great neck snap.

Cried when I sold it, but figured I got a kid out of the deal, so what the hell.

Now, I've got two teenage boys and I'm just waitin till they're through with college so I can buy a toy (Z06 convertible, TT, Boxster S, Z3, etc.)
  • ghomazghomaz Member Posts: 68
    My first car was a 1968 FIAT 1100D. I still have it!
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    Inherited it from my grandparents. Smogged 455 with only 200 hp. I still chuckle at myself for all the little crazy things I used to do attempting to make the 4600 lb vehicle faster.
  • vwracervwracer Member Posts: 90
    bought it in '78 when I was 17. Put over 200K on the car and then wrecked the front end about 1990. Gutted the car and added a one piece front end and started drag racing. Sold it last year(body and chassis only)when I completed my tube chassis dune buggy drag car. still got the original motor and tranny in the shed. Got a '69 VW that I use as a errand car just running around town that gets 30mpg.
    My first car was an Electra 225 also, though mine was a '71 (base 4-door hardtop), not smogged, with 315hp (same engine as the GS). That car was pretty quick for a land yacht.
This discussion has been closed.