Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Noises and Sounds

winstonewinstone Member Posts: 3
I have a 08 GT CX-9 for 2 weeks now. I noticed that when I park the car and stand by it, I can hear a very sharp whistle-like noise, sounding like from the bottom. The noise is much less noticable when sitting in the car and have the doors closed. Does anyone have similar experience?

Comments

• 99zoomr99zoomr Member Posts: 55
    Our 07 GT also has had a barely audible high-pitched whistling noise since we bought it last February, but only at idle. We had a '99 Jimmy that had the exact same noise, and I think it was related to the fuel pump or the fuel delivery system, but didn't affect the way it ran. I may ask the service tech next time I stop by the dealer, but since it's not very loud, I usually don't think about it...
  • nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    If the key is still on the ignition, that sound is normal. I have heard the noise coming from other models of cars (Nissan, Toyota, Honda.)

If they key is not in the ignition, some cars may run some fuel-evaporation checks a few hours after you turn it off.
  • winstonewinstone Member Posts: 3
    I did not notice this kind of noise on other cars I have drived, Camry, Yukon, Taurus, so wondering about it. But it seems very normal based on your experience. Thanks for sharing. :)
  • bluemombluemom Member Posts: 2
    I live in Minnesota where we just had 5 inches of snow and my Mazda CX9 is a joke and a hazard in the snow. I don't know if is the tires or the awd not working correctly. I went through 3 stop signs today, and I can barely get up a very small hill. This is not normal, and I really don't know what to do about it. Any suggestions, or has anyone else had this type of problem?
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    You are FAR from alone. The reviews of the stock tires on the CX-9 with snow scared me to death. Comments like "Mazda should be sued" and "worst tire ever labeled as all season" etc.... Check out the reviews on Tirerack.com and this thread below:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123727584

or this thread

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123687031

Many of us bit the bullet and ponied up $1400 for new Blizzaks, rims and TPMS to install. Just put mine on last week in time for the snow here in the Boston area for the last week and am very happy I did. Been working really well so far.

Tire Rack will put them on rims, balance and ship them to you (or local shop) for installion. I went down a size to 18" to save over $100 per tire but kept the same diameter so the speed/odomoter was not affected (P235/65R-18 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3) on Sport Edition ST3 rims.

Get those stock tires off your car quickly!

Merry Christmas from Mazda!
  • bluemombluemom Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply! I just talked to mazda and the dealer and they are basically saying that I probably need some new snow tires, I only have 14,000 miles and they are not taking any resposibility towards selling terrible tires on this car. I haven't had to get snow tires for 20 years. This whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. Mazda should recognize this problem, and address this. I guess I have 2 choices..new tires or drive and pray on the existing ones.
  • rjjbashrjjbash Member Posts: 1
    We recently bought the Pirelli Scorpion tires at 30,000 miles for my 2007 CX-9. Its been 4 months and probably 6000 miles and there is now a loud humming noise, which the dealer thinks is tire noise. Is anyone having problems with tire noise on these vehicles? I went back to the tire store and they put on a Goodyear Wrangler and still had noise.
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    I don't know if you have addressed this concern but I believe there is a bulletin for what you are or were experiencing, here it is...

Humming Noise Bulletin
  • imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    I'm curious about the scorpions... it's been about 12k miles since you've had them... ( estimating )... how do you like them? Do you use them much in the snow?
  • svenfly2svenfly2 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, just bought a new 2010 CX-9 and love the car so far. I noticed pulling into the driveway from the dealer a very high pitch whistling noise coming from underneath the car. It's almost the same sound as when you first turn the key to just shy of actually starting the motor. The fuel pump is the likely cause as the pump primes itself before you turn the key over. That noise then gets louder once the engine is on and you can hear the high pitch tone even with all doors and windows closed. You have to almost move your head around a little to pick it up, but once your ears know what sound to listen for it automatically focuses on that noise everytime. I went to the dealer, and only 1 out of 4 techs could hear the noise. They replaced the fuel pump twice and although better, I still hear the noise. Has anyone else had this issue or noticed the noise? Just trying to figure out if this is a normal noise for this car or if there might actually be something wrong. Thanks very much.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    edited October 2010
    I hear a high-pitched whirring noise underneath my CX-9 and the noise is modulated by engine speed, i.e. the faster the vehicle travels, the higher the pitch of the noise. The noise sounds like an electric motor. It is amplified when the noise bounces against a wall that is close enough to the vehicle as it passes. I haven't taken it to the dealership for diagnosis as it is only a month old and I was hoping that it would go away.
  • dogdoc1997dogdoc1997 Member Posts: 32
    so we have a 2010 CX9 GT, about 2000 miles..so this week my wife and I notice that a "soft" ding or bell is sounding; I thought it was while I am on the blue tooth phone, she says she hears it whenever, any ideas? It sounds like a soft CHIME! thanks, dogdoc, Atlanta
  • tomw5tomw5 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone experienced a howling sound like a winter blizzard when there is a side wind?
  • bbatman99bbatman99 Member Posts: 2
    Most likely the little chime is an email/IM notification from your phone that gets passed through to the car speakers. We had this as well and took us a bit to figure out what it was.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Check your dash brightness nob on the upper left corner of your dash display (where all the meters are located). It is probably set at the dimmest manually.
    The chime would go away if you set it otherwise. :)
  • bud_mazda_cx9bud_mazda_cx9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Can anyone give me tips or suggestions for resolving a rattle coming from what I think is the middle or 3rd row seats? The rattle only occurs on bumpy roads. At highway speed I don't hear the rattle on smooth roads.

I've locked the seat belts in place thinking that that may have something to do with it. However, the rattle still persists.

I almost think something has slid or fallen into the tracks where the middle seats slide, but I have no idea how to look or remove the middle row to confirm. I've also tried reading through the forums to see if anyone else has similar problems or suggestions.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Bud
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    There was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on the earlier CX-9s regarding a rattle/squeak noise coming from the second row center cup-holder. Mine has that noise but it is to intricate and involved for me to want to address it so I just ignored it. It usually only makes the noise when the cup-holder is down and being used, if it is folded up and out of the way it doesn't seem to make any noise. If you are still under warranty, id let Mazda have at it.
  • mincemanminceman Member Posts: 3
    Bud- what was your resolution. I have pinpointed the rattle to the lever that moves the seat up and back under the passenger side 2nd row. I took it to the dealer and of course it wasn't rattling. If I ball up a glove and wedge it under the lever, it no longer rattles. This is extremely frustrating as I am dealing with this loud rattle, a paint defect and the wheel shaking when braking over 40.