Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram - Truck Camper

marctheclarkmarctheclark Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Dodge
I have a Truck Camper and I'm looking at getting the 3500 Dodge Mega Cab diesel single wheel base. The camper weighs 2080 lbs dry. Can anyone tell me if this truck can handle this camper? I think the trucks payload is 2580 lbs. Isn't the payload what I'm looking for? I was going to test drive one but if it can't handle it, then I won't waste my time. Thanks in advance. mtc

Comments

• marctheclarkmarctheclark Member Posts: 3
    have a Truck Camper and I'm looking at getting the 3500 Dodge Mega Cab diesel single wheel base. The camper weighs 2808 lbs dry. Can anyone tell me if this truck can handle this camper? I think the trucks payload is 2580 lbs. Isn't the payload what I'm looking for? I was going to test drive one but if it can't handle it, then I won't waste my time. Thanks in advance. mtc
  • marctheclarkmarctheclark Member Posts: 3
    Opps...made a typo in my first message...the weight is 2808. mtc
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    That's a pretty heavy camper. You are much better off with a 3500 DRW Quad Cab which has a payload in excess of 4500 lbs.

Remember that payload also includes the passengers and gear you have in the cab... so 4 people and luggage would drop that 2580 to under 2000 pounds... now you'd be close to a full 1000 pounds overweight. Not only illegal, but dangerous - tires would be your weak link and could easily overheat from such a load.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • marc24marc24 Member Posts: 1
    Kcram

Thanks for the clarification on this, appreciate it. I'm going to check into the dually now.

marctheclark
This discussion has been closed.