Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer

Comments

• kaiakaiakkaiakaiak Member Posts: 14
    I'm not really sure how it is done in the Lancer, so I'm speculating here.
    The question is how is the tire’s pressure monitored? What device/sensor is used and where. For motorcycles (I’m a biker too) there is a pressure monitor that gets installed inside the wheel, and sends wireless signal once the pressure is below a preset threshold (newer models show even the PSI value on a little display).
    An example of such device you can find under this link:
    http://www.tire-pressure-monitors.com/motorcycle-tpms-mc.cfm
    and some pictures of it, in the wheel:
    http://www.tire-pressure-monitors.com/images/tpm-s8-sensor.jpg
    http://www.tire-pressure-monitors.com/images/tpm-s4-int-sensor.jpg
    http://www.tire-pressure-monitors.com/images/tpm-s3-int-valve.jpg
    http://www.tire-pressure-monitors.com/images/tpm-s1-mc-sensor.jpg
    As you can see, it is also used in cars.
    The point is, if something similar is used in the Lancer, it could have gone lose, bounced around, inside your wheel, until it managed to puncture the rubber and get out.

I hope this brings you a step closer to the solution of your mystery.

Cheers,
    kaiakaiak
  • lexxxilulexxxilu Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your help. It seems that could have been what happened. Like I said this has been going on for about 2 months now and just got worse. I also took a long trip with my car so the dealerships excuse that there was a nail or screw in the tire was completely absurd! I've researched the sensors and they are located in the same area as shown in the links you've sent. So, I'm def. gonna ask the mechanic if it was still on the blown tire. I'm sure they won't think this would be info that I would be aware of...thanks for the useful knowledge!
  • knutcalgaryknutcalgary Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I iust bought a 09 lancer gts cvt with 7000km on it. I noticed when i drive with the windows down and listen, the car makes clicking sounds...dealer said its air passing through the car? dont know about that one. also when i dont push on the gas the car slows down faster than i would think was normal especialy when im going slow like in a playground zone. dealer said its normal with the cvt. is he full of bs? or am i just over reacting?
  • lancerfanlancerfan Member Posts: 17
    Likely your just over reacting. I have an 09 lancer and for the first while i was surprised at how much it slows when letting off the gas like you say. It may just be what you were used to in your previous vehicle, my old car could idle forever before slowing down. It was a manual transmission and my lancer has the cvt.
  • packheatpackheat Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2009 CVT and notice that it slows down more quickly when I release the gas pedal compared to my previous car. I just assume it's because of the CVT engine...hope I'm right. I don't think it's an issue.
  • shivarajvshivarajv Member Posts: 6
    jus reiterating the question
    anyone know where I can download a free copy of the 09 owners manual.
    - I had a question about loading music onto the 30GB HDD that comes with the sun&sound. Is is possible to copy music directly from an MP3 player or is it limited only to CDs and DVDs
    - Also is the sound system capable of playing Mp3 songs from a DVD
    Hi there shivarajv.
    Copy music directly from MP3 player: not possible. Only from CD/DVDs. But you must prepare the media (CD/DVD) in a certain way I haven't out yet. I mean, I don't know yet if the MP3s must be placed in the root of the media or in a folder, and if the media must be formatted in a specific way. If you have a home DVD/CD player that says it plays MP3 from a media, you may find this out yourself (and let me know... :).
    There is a misconception in regards to the 30GB HDD: you don’t have 30GB available. Remember that all the GPS’ maps, POIs, Contacts, Waypoints, etc. are also stored in the HDD. Effectively, you have only about 6GB available for music.
    Yep, when I found this out I also felt cheated…
    Still, I have already about 60 CDs in it.
    Hi there Knut.

Regarding the clicking noise while on open windows, is it inside the car or outside? The dealer's air passing is BS... Noises due to airflow change on different speeds, your first clue, and normally those noises are hums or hisses, never heard wind-clicks...
    If the noise is inside, take someone along for a drive (a kid or a small person). When the noise start, have her/him literary crawling around the car to find the source. If outside, that person can still go from window to window (except of course yours) as well hearing for the source, or at least the source area. Once you find the source, you can find a cure.

About the speed drop: there the dealer said the truth. I don't know the specific details of a CVT gearbox, but I did notice that it is more "attached" to the car, than a traditional auto-gearbox.
    Let me explain: conventional automatic gearboxes have the typical bicycle effect; on a downhill you don't need work the pedals and the speed even increases. The CVT in this particular behavior, is a little closer to Manual transmission. On a M/T you take the foot off the gas, and the car will slow down, it won't coast like A/T.
    That's what I mean with attached, you get a little more response with a CVT, compared to an conventional A/T.
    I didn't like Mitsubishi's CVT, bought my Lancer M/T and didn't regret it. Audi's CVT is great, but we are not talking about them here.

Good luck.
  • kpdfkpdf Member Posts: 5
    Just a stupid question. Can anyone explain why there is a power socket in the armrest. :confuse:
    Is It there for charging or using anything in particular ?
    I recently saw on edmunds.com that among the trims available, there are 2 listing for the 2009 Lancer GTS
    - GTS
    - GTS N/A 07/08

http://www.edmunds.com/mitsubishi/lancer/2009/index.html
    When you compare both these models on edmunds, you find that in addition to the usual stuff the former has optional traction/stability control (exactly wat the edmunds review says the Lancer's lacks !). Is this a newer version/release ?
    Has anyone been able to lay their hands on one and if yes, do you find any difference.
    Pls comment
    that definitely is a BIG letdown !
    are there better systems (with more HD space) out there that can be fixed aftermarket.. and is it recommended ..are they cheaper
    That socket is unswitched, meaning you can leave your cellphone charging, even when the car is off. So yes, it's for chargning...
    Hi again Shivaraj.

Haven't tried the 07 or 08 models. One big difference to the 09 is engine size (upgraded from 2.0 to 2.4).

Regards,
    Kai
    Hi again.

Yeah, you may say it's a letdown, but my question to you (and be honest to yourself): how many CD'd would be enough for you?. I already have about 70. If you average 1 hour music per CD, well, do the maths...
    I haven't checked how full my HDD is, I just know that in between Sirius and the HDD, I have enough stuff in there to drive all the way to Seattle without having to listen to something twice, and I live in Florida...

Are there other systems? Yes, but not integrated as in the Lancer (GPS, MusicServer, Phone and Contacts, Maintenance book, Calendar, etc. etc., all fitting neatly in you dash).
    If you don't have the need for the Navigation part, i.e. you have a dash mounted unit, well then it should be able to remove the Navi program from the HDD, and voi la, have all HDD available for music. This, however, I don't think any John Doe dealer would know how to do it. For this I would get in touch with Mitsubishi Corporate...

Cheers,
    Kai
    Hi,

I plan on buying the 09 GTS with nav,sun&sound. I used the build&price tool on http://www.mitsubishicars.com and the pkg comes to 23,465. But my dealer says the price he will give it to me at is 27,140. When I asked him abt the difference, he says tax, title and licence would account for the extra 4k. Is he bullshitting me ..?
    Is the price on the edmunds site inclusive of tax .. has anyone used it and encountered a similar scenario... please comment !
    i guess a better question would be what are the valid things that the dealer will charge me for on top of MSRP
    $27K?!?!? That's BS IMHO.
    As I mentioned earlier, mine is a 09 GTS M/T, fully loaded. It came OTD for $23.5k, including two additional insurances, one for wheal and one for bumper-to-bumper extension.
    One thing: if you're planning to finance it, DO NOT DO IT THROUGH DEALERS!!!
    My friendly advice: fincance it through a Credit Union. I put $12k down, to reduce my remaining monthly payment. So I financed $11.5, five years, with an APR of 6.9% through my C.U. My monthly pay is $226.
    Good luck
    Yes that sounds a bit high for what you described...you should be able to lower the price. Go to another Mitsu dealer if you have to (or at least tell your salesman you will..he'll negotiate). I was able to finance my 2009 Lancer through the dealer at a great rate. I put $2500 down, $1000 trade and got a four year payment plan at 3.9%. A five year plan would have been 4.9%. If you have good credit, they'll offer you a competitive rate.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    went to look at a 09 lancer ES auto at my local mitsubishi dealer today..after sitting in the lancer for a little bit i felt that the lancer felt cheap and inferior in my opinion..but i guess that's to be expected going from a honda to a mitsubishi..makes me appreciate my honda's strong build quality....
  • trol1374trol1374 Member Posts: 7
    I just bought my GTS with Sun and Sound and Navigation with a sticker (msrp) of $23600 for $21000. On top of that I got $1000 more on the trade in then any other car dealer offered.
    The person paying 27, watch for the dealer add on's during financing. They will try to throw in the extended warranty, gap insurance, life insurance and some may try to add some kind of vehicle protection that is an expensive can of scotch guard.
    The person that stated about staying away from dealer arranging finance, if you have good credit you will get some great deals on interest rates from various banks/lenders.
  • ronix2720ronix2720 Member Posts: 1
    This car was a big letdown when I test drove it. I do not recommend this car to anyone! The only thing nice about it is it's exterior styling.
  • streetlegalboistreetlegalboi Member Posts: 1
    i drove the car about 3 days now have about 200miles... brand new... my engine service light just came on... i dunno why.. i called the dealer.. they told me check the gas cap... i didnt even put gas in yet.. i am about half tank... i tightening it.. and lights still stays on... gonna go this weekend.. and check wat is wrong with it..

i keep u guys posted...
  • rav4killarav4killa Member Posts: 13
    true' true' i, had my lancer service for alignment after a yr. of installed lowering springs, and the dude just can't figure out the alignment sys. of the lancer. he recommend me to buy a camber correction kit, in order to correct the alignment.
  • rav4killarav4killa Member Posts: 13
    dude....i, had this same problem, i, keep re-setting the computer to get rid of this pesky service light. i, took it to dealership and they say nothing about it. (am' thinking its the pzev or some emmision control system, and or the cvt tranny control sys.)
  • kpdfkpdf Member Posts: 5
    hi all, here is a website that has alot more accessories for the lancer and all mitsu's.
    just noticed it. from what I gather they also have international deliveries. it looks like all prices are in u.k sterling. there is some cool options that are available there and not here in the u.s. why ? the website is , www.sgpetch.co.uk
  • kingston89kingkingston89king Member Posts: 13
    Hey, everyone, first time on edmunds posting a message, i am in market looking for a car for myself only a teenager, looked at the honda accord lx-p models and went to the dealership like 4 times but cant get a deal or credit isint enough, now looking at the civic ex with nav or the lancer 2009 with nav, dont need sound and sun but if good deal ill take it,

heard lots of things about the lancer 09, mostly bad stuff, steer right...sounds from outside...service lights....blah blah blah, any tell me if i should continue to think about a lancer 09 or turn my way to a civic or something else?

this would be a 4-5 car for me or even less.

please advice thank you
    Kingston89: I purchased my 09' lancer in April. Began having problems with it shortley there after 3wks to be exact! I've brought the vehicle to the dealership 4xs with 2 months! I've had starter issues, problems with the radio stations tuning in, airpressure sensor coming on nonstop, engine sounding wierd and not good pickup! Then having to deal with a dealership giving me the runaround because I'm a female! (I've done business with them for over 7yrs) This was my 4th car from them, plus I've recommended my family there who have also purchased vehicles from them as well! I never thought I would ever be this unhappy with a purchase especially being a 2009 vehicle! I will have to take a loss and trade this vehicle in asap! Stay away from the Lancer it spells nothing but trouble! I have everthing but the nav. system.
    king,don't let 1 bad review here stop you from considering a 09 lancer.i purchased a 06 honda civic lx coupe with auto back in aug 06..at 37,000 miles this past august the ac compressor failed and since i was over 36,000 miles i was on the hook for the repairs which would have been close to 800.00 parts and labor.disgusted at the fact that the compressor failed so early and that honda would cut me no slack i dumped the civic for a 09 mitsu lancer.i purchased the 09 lancer ES with cvt over this past labor day weekend.in the over 2 months that i have owned the lancer it's been a great car and blows the civic away.it's faster,more solid,and quiet,and handles great.i have not had any starter issues, or what not.however,as the person here mentioned i have also had on occasion difficulty tuning in radio stations.maybe it needs a bigger antena or something.infact,it's the worst reception iv'e had in a car.i tried adjusting the rear antena but it doesn't help..i wonder if other lancer owners are experiencing the same problem.if it aint one thing it's something else even with a brand new car.if it can break or fail it will i guess.
  • akilez68akilez68 Member Posts: 5
    Honda interior is not better than the 2008 Lancer or 2009 Lancer. If you are in a Honda it feels like a Honda. I have 2 Hondas and they all drive the same and interior is pretty damn cheap.

First of all the Stereo sounds better than the Honda car stereo sounds like a Can.

My 2008 Lancer doesn't have 650 watts the sound quality is better. The Bass is great without the Sub-woofer

I have 37,650 miles on 2008 Lancer with NO PROBLEMS.

If it sawy to the right it is not the tires or the car it is the ROAD THAT YOU DRIVE

Believe I have the same problem before I thought it was the tires or steering wheel but it is actually the Highways.

Highways have an even pavements.

Try other roads and set the cruise control it will GO STRAIGHT.

if you live in State that has heavy snow. Our highways bend to the left because to minimize hydro and black ice
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    as a fellow 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer owner I just want to be sure you know that there has been one recall on the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer. It is the rear door sash recall. Your dealer can hook you up with it.

If you already have had the recall done disregard this. The reason for the recall is to prevent the left side rear door from opening upon "certain crash impact angles."

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• kingston89kingkingston89king Member Posts: 13
    thank you for all you guys intel and advice on the cars, im still having difficulty making up my mind on a 09 lancer gts with navigation or a civic ex with navigation or a accord lx-p, i was wondering 1 question though, im not really a sound guy, i mean i am, but i dont need 650 watts of rockford fosgate in my car and i dont like that 10-inch subwoofer in the back trunk waking up like 1/4 of the trunk, is there anyway i can get the tech package and the sun and sound package but only get the sun package? if you guys know?
    1/4 of the trunk. More like about 1/8th of the trunk. It's a nice Rockford-Fosgate stereo system, man. I am happy I went with the Sun and Sound system in my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS.

• lele7lele7 Member Posts: 1
    That is to funny. I am having problems with my 09 lancer as well. About 3 weeks after I bought it too. This week will be the 4th time I have had it at the dealership as well. They tell me it is my cellphone one week, or the store brand of gas like sheetz, rutters the next week.
    I'm sorry that you too have been experiencing problems. My biggest complaint is I purchased an 09 so I wouldn't have to be at the dealership for problems. I have had 3 other mitsubishis(eclipse and spyders), the only problem I had was when the spyder hit 40000 miles everything went wrong. Within one yr I spent $5000. The Lancer, though, is by far the worst car I have ever owned. I've can't wait to trade it in and boy am I going to take a loss. The worst part is I don't want to deal with the ONE and only Mitsubishi dealership in my area because they ripped me off on my last visit. The next closest dealership is over an hour away! This will definitely be my last mitsubishi! What a headache! :mad: :mad: :sick:
  • billtx12billtx12 Member Posts: 1
    I got my 2009 Lancer GTS in September. I have not had one problem with it yet. It is a great car. It is fun to drive, good on gas, and has one of the best navigation systems I have ever used. For the money there are few cars out there that match it. I would recommend checking it out for sure. :)
    hi folks,purchased a 09 lancer es with the cvt in sept.i like the car very much,handles great,quiet inside,good power and good mpg.however,i noticed that the radio reception isn't the greatest.has anyone else experienced this at all with the lancer and could i maybe install a larger antena on it.thanx...steve
    Dude, what stereo, that takes 1/4 of the trunk space, are you talking about?!?!?
    I have the Rockford Fosgate in my Lancer 09, which sounds fantastic btw, and the sub takes at max 1/8 of my trunk. Are you sure you looked into a Lancer?!?
    I also experience problems with the radio reception (moreso AM than FM). I think the problem is the antenna...I was going to ask the dealership about it on my next oil change. I like to listen to ESPN news on AM band but it doesn't come in at night. I thought radio signals are stronger at night than in the day? I guess Mitsu figures no one buying a Lancer would listen to AM frequency.
  • lancerfanlancerfan Member Posts: 17
    I've had my lancer gts since June now and have not experienced any problems at all. Its in perfect shape and runs smooth everytime. I don't know about this radio reception you guys are complaining about. I haven't noticed anything wrong with it but i also have only listened to Am and FM radio once I think since the satellite radio it came with is much better.
  • BradeBrade Member Posts: 1
    I had recently had a fender bender with my 2000 Galant, which never gave me any major problems, but it was considered totaled. So when looking for a new car, I had sort of settled on the new Mazda6 and Ford Fusion. I test drove both, and got 3 Mazda dealerships involved to get the best offer. By the way, the thing I do when negotiating a car deal is tell them exactly the monthly payment and length I want to do--then make them work out the details. This is great for avoiding "hidden fees" which are all too common if you simply negotiate an overall price.

So I got the Mazda6 iSport AT down to 375 over 60 months. After taxes that brings the actual car cost to around 19,000 with the special 2.9% APR. I was just about ready to take this, but something didn't feel quite right. I decided just for kicks to check out what was going on with the compact car segment. I checked out the U.S. News reviews and even though the Lancer is #9, the reviews indicated this was almost entirely due to interior concerns--the exterior and the engine received great marks. And I noticed that I could buy the pimped-out GTS trim with Sun & Sound for just a tad higher than the no-frills Mazda6. So I took a test drive. It just so happened that the GTS that fit my specs (most had the Nav package which I don't need with my iPhone) was Rally Red--my favorite color. Things were looking good :)

When I took the car for a spin, I was utterly sold. It felt lighter, more responsive, and the CVT really impressed me with its seamless shifts. I cranked the 650-watt radio and was sufficiently blown away--it should take care of any issues people have reported with tire noise at low speeds. The red backlighting on the panel is quite nifty--something I really liked about the Mazda6 so was happy to see here. Loved the logical layout of the engine compartment--everything should be easy to get to if needed (esp. the circuit box) and it's clear the Lancer is ready for customization (not that I'll be doing any). And of course, the car just looks incredible. A+ on the design, Mitsubishi. I've shown it off for a few friends, and now they're joking about getting into a "fender bender" so they can upgrade too :)

I've only had it a few days, so we'll see if I have any of the problems mentioned here. But I've had 3 cars in my life, and all have been Mitsubishi--as I've said, that worked out by coincidence, but I believe that speaks well of the combo of performance/reliability/styling that Mitsu brings to the table.

BTW I had read that an Aux jack (for MP3 players) was standard on this model, but never found it. The dealer agreed to install the optional "mp3 cable" this week as part of my purchase price, so hopefully that takes care of things, but I was still confused not to see this as a standard feature, when I thought it would be. BTW I ended up getting this car for about 19,900 which is about 1500 below the TMV here on Edmunds and quite a bit below invoice as well. So with taxes etc. and the 5.9% APR Mitsu offers, my payments are 355 for 72 months, but it's very likely I'll pay it off before then. Perhaps could have gotten a better deal with more Mitsu dealers involved, but I gave them my goal of 375 for 60 months (from the Mazda6 offer) to work from, and I felt the offer was adequate. Plus I really needed a car ASAP after my accident.
    bravo! Bravo on your choice! I don't know about you, but the Mazda designs can appear nice, but, when popped up against the 2008-09 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS they fail miserably. I have a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with the automatic CVT tranny, Sun and Sound package and Rally Red paint. I have read of paint troubles with these new world order Lancer's. I don't have paint problems with my GTS.

I just can't believe how cool Mitsubishi made this generation of Lancer look. I was going to go with an ES and save money. But I realized how much I loved the wrap-around bodykit Mitsubishi installed on the Lancer GTS. It's really done well, it enhances the overall body style so much that after appreciating that I couldn't settle for an ES or DL or whatever the lesser Lancer models are named.

I have 30,515 miles on my '08 Lancer GTS. I just had it's 30,000 mile service done. Every 6 months we get an 'Auto Butler' paint protectant/polish combo put on by the dealer. The cost of these was paid for in the contract we signed and well worth it, IMO. Keeps our Lancer GTS looking shiny and cool.

Some have had trouble with their tires pulling to the left or right. I have had tire rotations done every 7,500 miles. I've had a 4-wheel alignment done, too, and I just have not had this trouble some are claiming with "pulling" to the left or right.

Day after tomorrow I take it in to Tucson and get some Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S Pinna tires put on. Not cheap, it's gonna come to $813.14 after mounting and balancing, etc. I have heard really good reviews from owners of these Pirelli tires, though, and I think I'm really gonna dig having those tires on my Lancer GTS.

Again, very fine choice you have made, Brade. Hey, that rhymes! I think you'll be really happy with your Lancer GTS, and be sure and include your ownership experiences on these Mitsu threads so we can see how you're doing, OK? :)

• bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    Narrowing my choice down to the Lancer GTS with CVT (probably will wait for the Sportback) or the 2010 Mazda3. So now I am starting to compare other things like potential repair costs down the road. I know the Mazda's auto would be typical of an auto tranny in terms of repair cost. Does anyone know what it would cost to replace the CVT in the Lancer? For example the DSG in the VW GTI is something like $5-6K to replace! :surprise: I want to know if replacing the CVT in the Lancer would be crazy like the DSG or more like a normal auto box.
    When I bought my Lancer GTS 09 back in April, I took the two models (CVT & Manual) out for a ride in the dealership. The one thing that came immediately in my mind is that in the CVT, if you want a quick response from the engine, you must rev it up hard. I played with the paddles, cruised around, but every time I wanted t adjust to a higher speed, even by a little, I had to "scream" the engine. That put me completely off for it.
    That's not only in the Lancer. I took many rides with other manufacturers, and the only conclusion I got is that this CVT, or whatever other car makers call it, is nothing but a manual control on an automatic gearbox. The clutch still slips a lot, like in the old days automatic cars.
    The manual, in the other hand, really transmits what the engine is talking, to the wheels. If you want a sportier car, with a ready response, manual is your choice.
    I ended buying the manual, and I never came to regret it. The only thing I would criticize is that it surely deserves a sixth gear. The fifth has, compared to other cars I've driven, an awful amount of torque. It delights me, when I'm cruising at 70mph, a little notch extra on the gas is readily responded. But at 80mph, you're already at 4000 RPM, a sixth gear, would keep the engine below the peak torque range (4k RPM), and bring consumption further down when cruising.
    I got my Lancer in April 9th. It has already 16.5k miles (I do field service, my car is my office). I haven't had a single problem with it, nothing wrong at all. I am sorry for some folks around here, who are experiencing so many different issues with their Lancers. Maybe my testimony serves as a good example...
    :)
  • lookinglookinglookinglooking Member Posts: 2
    great review man! I'm actually looking into an ES myself.
    say, what about teh noise from the CVT engine consumer reports were complaining about? have you experienced "the noise"?
    just what did CR find wrong with the '09 Mitsubishi Lancer's CVT automatic tranny's? I have had nary a problem with my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. No CR "noises", no paint chipping, no "pulling" to the left or right. I have had my car recalled to put a clamp on the LR door. Apparently the crash tests revealed that a clamp needed to be put on the LR door to help keep it closed upon " certain crash angles." But that's it. No cost to me to have that done and it took about an hour to do.

I just replaced my Lancer's OEM Dunlop tires with some P215 45ZR18 Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S Pinna's. The car now handles my hometown's bumpy roads smoother. I did get an alignment with these new Pirelli tires and they found that my car's alignment was wrong- the toe and camber were off. That was fixed and there is no "pulling" to the left or right side of the road.

Also, these P-Zero Nero's give off much less road noise than the OEM Dunlop's did. So, you may consider getting some new tires. I replaced my OEM Dunlop's at the 30,565 mile mark. You may be surprised at the better driving dynamics some new tires could give.

• lookinglookinglookinglooking Member Posts: 2
    this is from their road test:

"While it's an improvement over the old model, the redesigned Lancer still scores only midpack in its class. The Mitsubishi's handling is quite agile and the steering is responsive, lending the car a sporty feel. But the ride borders on being too stiff, the engine is noisy, and the brakes were disappointing. The Lancer also had subpar fit and finish, tight rear-seat head room, and mediocre fuel economy"
  • svsilencersvsilencer Member Posts: 1
    I bought the 09 GTS back in September it now has about 3300 miles on it, so far ive had no promblem except the sun roof doesnt open all the way, it stops just a little bit before it completely opens. Replacing tires might not be a bad idea tho. Def. a fun car to drive. I just wish they wouldve made the GTS model AWD :/
    then this is it:

"While it's an improvement over the old model, the redesigned Lancer still scores only midpack in its class. The Mitsubishi's handling is quite agile and the steering is responsive, lending the car a sporty feel. But the ride borders on being too stiff, the engine is noisy, and the brakes were disappointing. The Lancer also had subpar fit and finish, tight rear-seat head room, and mediocre fuel economy"

Consuner Reports is usually biased one way or another, and I have never read their pack and gotten a lot of good out of it. The brakes are disappointing? That's not true. My brakes haven't needed a bit of service (although they've been checked numerous times) in my 30,915 miles of '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS driving.

The "engine is noisy"? It is?

"Subpar fit and finish"? That is utter nonsense, my car crazy friends.

"Tight rear seat head room" I wouldn't call it tight, maybe I'd call it a bit close, but not tight.

"Mediocre fuel economy"? Nonsense, too. I get 22 in town and 32 mpg average on the freeway, and that includes a lot of Arizona's mountainous up long roadways then down terrain. That is really good fuel economy, in my humble opinion.

Once again, I am highly suspect of Clodsumer Retorts car theology. I reject it like a solid picture shot of Dennis Rodman sitting on the Piston's bench, him feeling whiny about not playing. It's not believable.

"The ride borders on being too stiff." That I can almost come to agreement with CR on, but, my '08 Lancer GTS' situation has recently been improved with regards to ride. I recently purchased some P215 45ZR18 Pirelli P-Zero Nero Pinna's. With these tires I purchased an all-wheel alingment. Turns out my toe and camber were way off. That was fixed.

The tires handle the bumpy roads of my home town way better than the stock Dunlop tires. And these Pirelli's don't produce anywhere the road noise that my stock Dunlop's did, either. Situation improved...and I love the looks of this Lancer GTS, I love it's foglights, sunroof, wrap-around bodykit, leather-covered gear knob, leather-covered steering wheel, 650-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo with 10-inch subwoofer in the truck, red backlighting on the dash controls, spoiler, and tight seat bolstering for good posture and good lean-hold when you want to push your Lancer GTS in to turns. This happens naturally as these cars love to take turns and hold on a dime when you push them in to turns.

Great car. And once again, Clodsumer Retorts is wrong. You need to check magazine car printouts with your own experience, never go buy what a bunch of paid-to-write automotive magazine writers are paid to say...I...I mean think they "feel" about a product. Trust more what someone who has bought the car, and has spent a lot more time with the car, says.

• ScotchtapeScotchtape Member Posts: 2
    hi guys, new here with a comparison question.

I'm going car shopping with a friend and we're starting off looking at the 09 Lancer and the 09 Hyundai Sonata.

The Sonata and Lancer are in two different car classes so there isn't alot of hard comparisons other then online websites. A local dealer has a base model Sonata at 14600 and a ES Lancer at 14900. I've heard/read about a few problems with the Sonata's road noise and transmission shifting, but haven't found much in problems with the Lancer other than some highway road noise.

Has anyone out there driven both and notice anything I should look for?

thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.