Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Scion xB transmission problems

problemxbproblemxb Member Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in Scion
I have a 2008. Its been in the dealer 6 times. Auto trans is problem. Scion green team tech has been scrambling to avoid a HUGE tech issue with car! Clunk in trans due to design. Loosens as mileage racks up (11,041). Clunks in downshifting lots of play. Dealer authorized new axles. Did not fix problem. Dealer tried again because they could not get rid of problem. Scion world headquarters has case file opened and scion techs and design team were sent in. They had car all day. They found that this car has no problems. The dealer disagrees. It is being talked about that there is a very big problem with the autos. They have had many complaints. Im going to get this fixed or never buy a toyota product again. Ive own them all my life.

Comments

• br2120br2120 Member Posts: 4
    Iam having the exact same problem .I think it could be linked to the computer ,when the engine starts to help the car to slow down it causes the transmission to have a hard down shift. I have noticed it dose it more when the weather is warn. I have an appoiment later this week. :lemon: :lemon:
  • br2120br2120 Member Posts: 4
    Well the Scion techs and the dealer ship say that the transmission rough down shift is a charistic of the car ,if thats so why did it start at 500 miles ,Dont believe all the hype about Scion trying to stand behind their car , Believe me when you drive off the lot its allyour baby.
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    My wife just took delivery of an 08 xB with the manual transmission. Everything is fine but there is one annoyance, and hopefully not a future problem. When driving in 5th gear (50 mph and above), the shifter has a slight vibration when the throttle is pushed down. The buzz goes away when you let the foot off the gas. I don't feel anything other symptoms of this other than in the shifter vibration. Does anyone have a similar experience? I will have to bring this in and let the dealer know in case there is a transmission issue down the road.
  • stevo043stevo043 Member Posts: 3
    We purchased a xB in March this year and we haven't had the problem you have, but something similar. The transmission acts funny sometimes - it hasn't done it lately... but it seems to hesitate when taking off. Also my wife and I were going on an overpass and the transmission couldn't decided what to do - it slipped gears sorta... Very strange and also when coming to a stop it made strange gear changes, it was kinda rough. We took it to the dealer and they didn't find anything wrong with, but they said it's an adaptive transmission and probably still learning how I drive. Seems believeable b/c my tC was the same way - but it hasn't acted up lately...
  • nick2012nick2012 Member Posts: 2
    yes, I own a 08 Scion xB manual as well and I have the same thing. Whenever you push on the gas pedal the shifter moves slightly down and vibrates and after a few seconds it moves back up right? I'm not sure if this is really a problem, but if the dealer tells you otherwise please reply back to me so I can get my car checked out for it.
  • change02change02 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a '10 xB and have the same shifter problem. DId you ever get this resolved?
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    I have over 20k miles on the xB now and the problem with the 5th gear vibration has pretty much gone away. I noticed that if I nudged the shifter a bit in the 5th position and it "settled" better into the position, the vibration lessend or just went away. This may be just an issue of the transmission breaking in and it probably will go away with time.
  • m2thm2th Member Posts: 1
    am not sure if this is related. But I had noticed that shifting was tough and I may have also early on had trouble getting it into gear. I also had lots of trouble getting it into reverse! I had to really push it. I guess I figured that is wasn't a Porsche. But my daughter and I noticed a horrible smell one day while driving and we had to get out of the car. We almost felt sick. Then if was the same as before for a while. Then I had a meeting in Lansing. And I was on the freeway for about an hour drive. So after traffic and out of the city. Went up to 60 and accelerated some more to change lanes

and increase speed a bit. after being in 5th gear I noticed it wouldn't go any faster. I pressed the gas and noticed it still wouldn't go faster and started making a loud noise. I went to shift to 4th gear. And go slower for the rest of my trip and I COULD NOT GET IT BACK TO 4th I FINALLY GOT IT TO 4th. Ad then I tried to get it to third and it would not go IN TO ANYTHING! At the same time when I had pushed the clutch. IT STUCK DOWN!! I WAS STUCK!!! IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FREEWAY WITH CARS COMING BEHIND ME AT SPEEDS UP TO 80/90 I was thinking I was going to DIE. I WAS FREAKING OUT. I was able to get it to neutral and put hazards on and was able to drift to the side of the freeway (inside!!) not the outer shoulder. I was STUCK. Same smell again. REVVED it a bit to make sure it wasn't the engine. I called the dealer right away! (Suburban, in Troy MI.) And MEAN and NASTY saying snotty things. And offered no help to me with a tow. I was stuck in the center of the freeway, with cars still zooming close past me. To end this they blamed it all on me and said there was nothing mechanically wrong. It was all my fault and there was nothing wrong with the car. And price was 1,500.00 + and said it was not covered by warranty. They offered no loaner, would not pay for a rental. And they were also trying to write it up to say I was driving recklessly!! Which I forced them to rewrite! I bitched and complained to the dealer boss and then to Toyota. And they agreed "IN GOOD FAITH!!" to pay for HALF!

I had to bullied them to pay for only a small portion of the rental. I couldn't get Toyota to pay the total amount. I reluctantly paid the half. When I picked it up The Shift was just as bad as it was before!!! I drove it right back. And made them drive it around. They brought it back and said it was FINE! They also said it had nothing to do with the SHIFT! And when I first brought it in They told me that Shifting wrong and to hard was WHY the clutch! Stuck to the floor! So it was a complete contradiction!!! I made them drive it more that a minute and he brought it back and said it was working great!!! I contacted the government threatened a lawsuit and am putting it into arbitration. All that did not matter to Toyota. They would not honor the warranty. It is still like this and the other day it would not go into second and was leaving me again in traffic. I am afraid to drive it. And I feel that I got ignored because it was just before and as the big recall broke. So I believe they were just giving me the brushoff. Should I take it to a different car maker service department to get a confirmation? So I can pursue this on a serious level. I know it is not the popular problem. Like the other models. But I think this is bad quality as well because it was a brand new car! What do you think and has anyone had a similar freighting and evil problem?? Please, Please comment!"
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Toyota is doomed.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• xb4me2xb4me2 Member Posts: 4
    Hey, I just wanted to know if this has ever been resolved. I am having some transmission issues as well and I was wondering if the dealership ever did anything.

Jvan -
    Hello everyone. I have a 2008 scion xb and I have been having some issue with the Clutch. I currently have over 50,000.00 miles on it and the Clutch has been pretty rough. Whenever I am shifting in 2nd and 3rd gear it feels like a grinding feel on the gear box and not on the actual pedal. I have taken my car multiple times and this issue was going on since I've purchase it. I also been experiencing that the reverse at times does not engage and I am not sure to what to do at this point. I was told by the last person where I've taken the car that it is not considered a wear and tear issue.. I am kinda sick with it but I've been reading a lot about people complaining about this clutch drama!! -- My other issue is my Passenger Airbag light that at times comes on. They keep on "updading the software" but it detects weight showing the "airbag off" light on the passenger side. I was told that it should only come on IF you have something on the seat that is less than 30 lbs...

Help! :cry:
    Hello! I was wondering if the Toyota dealership actually replaced your whole clutch. I have been having similar issues with it and I am looking to see if there is anything I can do besides reaching out to my dealership. I have over 50k on my car now and It has gotten so bad on the clutch and the gears only engage when they feel like it.. :confuse:
  • double_07double_07 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone! I have 08 xB that has 53k miles! On 09/12/2010 My car has stopped on me while driving on the freeway! Found out that the clutch is bad or transmissions is mest up. TOYOTA DRIVETRAIN WARRANTY is 60 months/ 60K miles witch ever come first! Dealer doesn't want to honor the warranty, because its a wear & tear part. The clutch is part of the drivetrain! WOW! Isn't TOYOTA / SCION A trip! Every repair shop that I went to said" They should cover it!" Now the question is? What really do move you! I guest since TOYOTA / LEXUS had a problem with acceleration! I guest SCION is having TRANSMISSION problems!
  • amby3amby3 Member Posts: 2
    I am driving a 2008 Scion xB with something like 44,000 miles on it. The first clutch was replaced at around 9,000 miles. To their credit, they did repair it at no cost that time. Now, at 43, 276 miles, it is currently in the shop getting its third transmission. The problem in both cases was that when the car upshifted, it took a while to accelerate because the clutch was slipping. When I reported it originally(this time--the second time I've brought it in for a new clutch), I was told by Toyota's service manager that he had never heard of any 2008 Scion transmission problems. Now, thanks to this website, I know differently (see forums).

When I insisted on dialoguing with Romano Toyota's Service Department via email, after much wrangling they agreed to pay for half of the new clutch with the following explanation:

"To clarify your concern regarding your original repair, there is a factory
    warranty for the first 3 years or 36k miles on any Toyota or Scion. You had
    your clutch and components replaced on June 30th of 2008 at 9,368 miles. The
    warranty on that repair expired when your vehicle eclipsed the 36k mile
    threshold, there is not an additional 3 year or 36k mile warranty added
    after a repair is done. The only guarantee I will give on the repair is a 1 year and unlimited mileage warranty on the parts and labor which is the warranty that our shop gives on any repair that we do. I also must stress that we are not replacing
    the transmission, we are replacing the clutch and its components, which
    although located between the engine and transmission is not the same thing.
    Please call me further more with any other questions or concerns if that is
    possible."

In a previous email, they referred to their begrudging offer to pay half the cost as their "GoodWill Warranty." More of a BendOverWarranty if you ask me.

If anyone hears of any class action suits related to the 2008 Scion transmissions, please let me know.
  • amby3amby3 Member Posts: 2
    I am driving a 2008 Scion xB with something like 44,000 miles on it. The first clutch was replaced at around 9,000 miles. To their credit, they did repair it at no cost that time. Now, at 43, 276 miles, it is currently in the shop getting its third transmission. The problem in both cases was that when the car upshifted, it took a while to accelerate because the clutch was slipping. When I reported it originally(this time--the second time I've brought it in for a new clutch), I was told by Toyota's service manager that he had never heard of any 2008 Scion transmission problems. Now, thanks to this website, I know differently (see forums).

When I insisted on dialoguing with Romano Toyota's Service Department via email, after much wrangling they agreed to pay for half of the new clutch with the following explanation:

"To clarify your concern regarding your original repair, there is a factory
    warranty for the first 3 years or 36k miles on any Toyota or Scion. You had
    your clutch and components replaced on June 30th of 2008 at 9,368 miles. The
    warranty on that repair expired when your vehicle eclipsed the 36k mile
    threshold, there is not an additional 3 year or 36k mile warranty added
    after a repair is done. The only guarantee I will give on the repair is a 1 year and unlimited mileage warranty on the parts and labor which is the warranty that our shop gives on any repair that we do. I also must stress that we are not replacing
    the transmission, we are replacing the clutch and its components, which
    although located between the engine and transmission is not the same thing.
    Please call me further more with any other questions or concerns if that is
    possible."

In a previous email, they referred to their begrudging offer to pay half the cost as their "GoodWill Warranty." More of a BendOverWarranty if you ask me.

If anyone hears of any class action suits related to the 2008 Scion transmissions, please let me know.
  • epr7339epr7339 Member Posts: 1
    Ok..So let me ask you..What part if ITS A WEAR & TEAR part dont you understand? You choose to drive a standard...That has a clutch..Guess what?? Here is a shocker...At some point you will have to have a clutch replaced...You have 53k on your car...oh but let me guess...You drive it lilke a baby right? God Forbid you have to put any money into your investment in your new car....And BTW its Guess not Guest....And im going to take a shot in the dark here..But other then your oil changes im guessing you have done none of your scheduled maintenance.......
  • ds329ds329 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Scion xB. The automatic transmission will not shift from 3rd to 4th gear. Took it to dealer and they indicated that it is because of the Knock Sensor. The Knock Sensor issue showed up when they checked the "Check Engine Light". I knew about the Knock Sensor, as I had my local mechanic check it out before taking it to the dealer. However, I had spoken to a couple of other mechanics and no one can understand how the Knock Sensor is preventing my transmission from shifting from 3rd to 4th gear. I never would have known there was a problem if I did not drive on the highway. On the streets, going less than 45 miles per hour, you would never know there was a problem. My gas mileage had suffered greatly and whenever I fill up, the "Range" light indicates 254 miles instead of the usual 323 miles. So I am losing about $15 every time I fill my gas tank.

Any thoughts?

DS329
  • kennascionkennascion Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same problem with my Scion which is also an 2008 Automatic Scion xD. The code read something was wrong with my transmission, and I was not able to go into 4th gear which was using my gas faster. Wires to the code reader had been chewed by rodents (rabbit or squirrel probably). It was hard to find but a simple fix. Be careful because some auto mechanics might sell you a new transmision for this.
  • ds329ds329 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply and believe it or not, it was the exact problem you described. However, when I first took it to the Milford, CT Toyota/Scion dealer, they never mentioned the rodent/mice issue. There was debris left by the critter and the wires had been chewed through. The Aamco transmission place never mentioned this either and told me it might cost up to $4,000 to repair. My son finally took it took a local mechanic near his job who did checked it out and told him the real problem. I thought honesty was something that you could take to the bank with Aamco or even the dealer. No such thing. Thanks again for the information.

Anthony James
  • erikd2erikd2 Member Posts: 1
    Its of dude not if you idiot, and that clutch should last 150k. Additionally scion clutch assemblies arent very good because mine sometimes will not shift or get hung up in between gears for no reason at 30k
  • rubenerubene Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2008 xB has about 100k miles on it now. Recently the check engine and VSC indicator lights came on. Yesterday I noticed on the freeway that the automatic gearbox wouldn't shift into 4th gear anymore. Anything from gear 1 to 3 goes fine, it just won't shift into 4th.

This morning we took it in to the Toyota dealer and they checked the error code. The error code was P0793. They said they needed to replace the speed sensor which comes down to a little over $600. This price seems a bit on the high side, especially after doing some research on the internet.
    I found this article for instance, which states that it's about a 25 minute job to replace the speed sensor: http://www.ehow.com/how_7341744_location-speed-sensor-scion-xb.html
    I'm just not sure if the speed sensor which they mention in that article (or as they say in the article Scion also tends to call it 'transmission revolution sensor') is the same as the 'Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor' which they mention in the official Toyota error code description here: http://share.qclt.com/丰田Toyota%20RAV4%20Repair%20Manual/U140F%20Au- tomatic%20Transaxle/Automatic%20Transaxle%20System/0260023.pdf

Can someone here enlighten me and tell me if this is the same thing? And would it be this part here?http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2008/scion/xb/transmission/automatic_trans- mission_speed_sensor.html

In that case the part would be around $100 + 25 minutes of labor which makes the dealer's price quote a bit ridiculous. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ruben.
  • jasa63jasa63 Member Posts: 1

Recently the check engine and VSC indicator lights came on my 2009 Scion XB. It has 150,000 miles and automatic gearbox does not shift into 4th gear only. Anything from gear 1 to 3 goes fine. Does anyone have any ideas what’s causing this issue? Please advice?