Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Camry

Comments

• santocssantocs Member Posts: 54
    Dmathews3 - There is no mention about aligning the tires at regular intervals. All service schedule mention only about tire rotation and nothing about Alignment.

I also checked with the dealership about this and they also mentioned the same thing and said they would be doing this only during the 30,000 mile service.

I just put the post to get some info if anybody has any idea.

But unfortunately you did not have the common sense to understand it :shades:
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Unless you for example hit a chuckhole to many times than you shouldn't need an alignment. If by looking at your tires they are wearing evenly and there is no shaking or vibration in the steering wheel why would you want to spend money to fix something that isn't wrong? Every car I have owned stated in the manual when you need to get the oil changed. Most gave a couple different examples as in normal and extreme as in very hot weather, trailer towing etc. In the first couple days of ownership everyone should take the time to at least read over the mantenance part of their manual as it can save them time and money and in some cases big bucks due to lack of mantenance. Somewhere along the timeline of life you have to give up momma telling you what to do and take on that for yourself. In my original post I wasn't trying to be funny or a smart--- I was just trying to tell the person they need to do a little something for themselves and not rely on everyone else for your information. Second hand info can be dangerous and besides when to change your oil can and is different for most everyone as everyone has their own reasons for why they change it at certain mileages. Used to be every 1K in the old days as there were no filters on cars. Then 3K when filters were installed and this is what most dealers want cause it is big profits in oil changes. But most of us know that lots of new vehicles can go 10K and in some cases like my motorhome it goes once a year or 15K between changes. I make it a point to know what is required because in the case of the motorhome do I want to change 22+ quarts of oil every 3K miles?
    Has anybody experienced sticky residue on the top of the windows which goes inside the window frame... toyota dealer said that may cause the windows to get stuck and not roll properly. they cleaned one of them while servicing but left others.

Does anybody know if there are any cleaners available in market which can be used to clean them? I have used Meguars and Armoral sprays and cleaning cloths but they did not work.
    How about something like Simple Green. Good cleaner without all those harsh chemicals.
    That would be great... Please don't say to use "water" :)
    Straight Simple Green right out of the spray bottle onto a rag. Get it wet with S.G. and maybe a flat screwdriver and push cloth into window groove and scrub it out good.
    What is simple green? And what can i use for the residue on the window itself?

Thanks for the information.
    DMathew3, i found what is simple green :)
    We live in Mich and wife buys it at our local Meijers store which is like a Walmart Super Center. It works great for lots of things. I even use it to clean my white tennis shoes. As far as getting it off the glass I would think after the groove dries out as I think it has a kind of felt like material in the groove I'd just use a good window cleaner on the glass.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Great product - I also like Magic Eraser (also good for shoe scuffs) and if something's super-sticky, Goo-Gone does a pretty good job.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi,

Does anybody know if there is a TSB for evaporator replacement for 2009 Camry? I had bad odour coming out from my A/C and last week when i reported this problem during servicing, the technician mentioned that there is a TSB for the evaporator and he would be replacing it after ordering the parts.

Please let me know if anybody is aware of the TSB and can provide some more details on that.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Since about 1991 Toyota (& Lexus) has experimented with various microbial fungicidal chemical coatings of the evaporator vane surface area in order to combat or alleviate these odors. Apparently Toyota neglected to register their use of these early on, circa ealy 1990's, and some of the later ones appear to have proved to be detrimental in the long term to human heath, or simply not adequate to the task.

The other problem, the "base" problem, is that in most cases these coatings simply "wash" off of the evaporator vanes over time and repetitive use of the A/C as a dehumidifier.

Here we are 20 years later and the experiment continues.

IMO the simplest and safest solution is to not use the A/C system EXCEPT for actual cooling needs and/or always leave the windows down slightly during the night or when parked for long periods.

Airsept(.com) has an EED which offers an "active" solution.
    Also it is known that long use of the reclirculation setting in which the air uses mostly cabin air becaise it is already been cooled once to put back through the system. While using regular air setting brings in all fresh outside air and from what I have read this setting most people don't have as much of a problem. Why this seems to be a bigger problem with Toyota vehicles I don't know but I have never had this problem on any cars I have owned both american and foreign.
    The dealer replaced the evaporator and also the cabin air filter and now i am not getting the bad odour.. May be it will take some time :).

But after the replacement, whenever i am starting my engine. i hear water or some fluid flowing inside the car, Its like water flowing through a channel or something. Is this normal?
    "...Why this..."

That's because Toyota's HVAC supplier, NipponDenso, Denso US, has a patent on a unique two-layer airflow feature. In essence this design ALWAYS uses some level of recirculate.
    Hi,

My servicing is due at 27,500 but its now 27,900 miles, This is my 6th servicing and ideally it should coincide with 30,000 miles so should i do the major servicing which needs to be done at 30,000 or should i wait till 30,000 and then go again for that servicing?

Also after my evaporator was replaced as part of the TSB. the car sometimes shivers/vibrates when i put on the A/C while reversing the car or when its in idle state. Its worse when i put the defogger on as well.

Please advise what all servicing needs to be done as part of the 30,000 miles and it it a problem if ther servicing is due and car runs for few more 100 miles after the service due date?

Thanks,
    Year, model, engine..??

Clean the idle air bypass port/system if it has one.
    2009 Toyota Camry LE 4 cylinder
    My car had around 28,000 miles and the dealer advised to go for the fuel induction service and also Air filter replacment..
    What exactly is this Fuel induction service?
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Member Posts: 101
    That would be a good question to ask the Service Manager at the dealership. Sounds like they might be trying to sell you an expensive service that you could do by yourself: like, adding a can of fuel injector cleaner to your next tank of gas!
    Likewise for the air cleaner: you could probably pick one up at Pep Boys or Canadian Tire (depending on your country of origin) and pop it in yourself. It's not that complicated.
    Pick yourself up a service/shop manual for your car and familiarize yourself with some of these routine maintenance procedures; you can then either save some bucks by performing them yourself, AND/OR save some bucks by demonstrating to the service department that they can't intimidate you with unneeded, expensive repairs.
    Good luck!
    Michael
    I just have 30k miles and dealer is advising for a tire change? I have the OEM Turanza EL400 tires.
    Do they have a lifetime of just 30 K miles?

which tires are the best?

Thanks,
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    research on www.tirerack.com
  • mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    This is a dumb question, but my 09 Camry has recently developed a horribly loud creaking noise when opening/closing the driver's side door. It's worse now that the temperature has dropped.

Is there any quick fix I can try before taking it to the dealer? Is a shot of wd40 on the hinges worthwhile or should i be looking for special automotive grease?

Thank you for everyone's help.
    A squirt of WD40 can't hurt.
  • paul3637paul3637 Member Posts: 45
    You are very lucky to have gotten 30,000 miles on those worthless OEM Bridgestones. Even my dealer said "everyone complains about poor mileage - those things are junk." The Turanzas on my 09 LE V6 were shot at 8,500 miles.

I researched the issue to death and went with Michelin Primacy MXV4 with a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty. They are number 1 on tirerack.com consumer reviews and they are rated number 1 in the late 2009 Consumer Reports test of passenger car V and H rated tires.

My Primacys improved the car's handling even though they are only H rated. The tires now have 19,000 miles on them and show almost no tread wear wear.

We put them on the wife's 2002 Lexus ES300 as well and are very satisfied.
    I checked with Toyota Dealer and they said they just have Michellin Exalto. Does anybody know if they are good ones?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Back in Aug 08, I put Mich Pilot Exalto AS on my 2007 LE. Currently have about 25K on them, they've been a great set of tires.
  • exlerexler Member Posts: 129
    --I put on Yokohoma Avids for about $95 each including balancing, etc.--seem to be a good choice.
  • exlerexler Member Posts: 129
    Need to get one for my vehicle as it was lost with the key( I have another key) --dealer wants $112 plus $45 to program this---saw a transponder on the net selling thru an outfit for around $35 and then I could take it to the dealer for programming--dealer said he cannot verify it would work as the transponder was not bought from them--anyone ever had any experience with regarding lost keys and transponder??
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    you guys messed with perfection...where does one find the incentives for one's area now!
  • meksmeks Member Posts: 10
    I swear, *I* didn't touch anything.

Comments go here: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f21ab4f

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Hi,

Does anybody know if Michellin Energy MXV4 are good tires?
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    Michellin Energy MXV4 is a good tire but if you want to go with Michellin get Primacy MXV4. Michellin tires overpriced IMHO. I got a set of
    Yokohama AVID ENVigor for 2009 LE and they really good.
    I changed my 4 tires with Michellin Primacy MXV4.

I am feeling a little vibration on the accelerator pedal when driving on slow speeds till 50 miles and hour, It goes away when it goes beyond 60 MPH.

It usually happens when you drive long distance on highway and then you are driving inside city.
    But after sometime it goes away.

I can feel the vibration whole time but while returing on highway it was not there and now its not present. Its really annoying.

when i first reported this to my toyota dealer, they said the tires need replacement and then it will go away and not with new tires as well its happening intermittently. Also the car is not going perfectly straight on highways. It leans towards left.

does anybody know what could be the problem?
    tires need balancing and the front end alignment is out. Dealers aren't always the best place to have this done. Usually most good size towns have one place that has the know how and expertise to do this job right.
    I am getting vibrating sound from my brakes if I don't press them completely on stop lights.

This is very annoying. I told the dealer and they said they cleaned the brake drums but still it has not resolved the problem.

Does anybody know what could be the problem?

Also what wipers are the best?
    Bosch Evolution wipers, expensive but worth every penny here around Seattle. Your rotors (not drums) are slightly warped and you only feel that at low speeds with relatively light final braking efforts. Since you only feel it at low braking speeds its probably not worth worrying over.

Make doubtly sure no one in your family uses left foot braking or continually rests a foot lightly on the brake pedal, both, either, will result in warped rotors fairly quickly.
    Does anybody know if we can put xenon or halogen bright lamps as head light replacing the factory bulbs? I have kind of felt Camry lights are not that bright? or do they dim down after sometime?

does fitting Xenon lights need a powerful battery?
    Yes! You can definitely upgrade your feeble stock headlamps.

Sylvania makes a wonderful product....or two. You have a choice between "brightest", which has a considerably shorter life-span than stock....or just "brighter", which is an improvement over stock ......and lasts ALMOST as long.

Check any local car parts store; they ALL have 'em, ranging in price from around $15 per lamp.

Cheers,
    Michael
    P.S. Forgot to mention: yes, all lamps dim somewhat with age, but the stock ones are rather dim to begin with........and no, you don't need to do anything with your battery.

Michael
  • ye2009ye2009 Member Posts: 2
    I took my 2009 Camry in for the same thing about a year ago and its doing the same thing again, it was okay for a while until I started to use the air more often this summer, it seems to idle louder and not smooth like before..i have 31,000 on my car..did you get that problem resolved and if so what was done?

I want to trade my car in so bad...
  • prat1kprat1k Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a used Camry 2009. I also have gear box heating up in bottom left corner, which worries me as well.. Have you found out the problem? Thanks!
  • ye2009ye2009 Member Posts: 2
    I have noticed a vibration when I put the air on and I'm backing up or at a stop when the motor is cold..seems like the car wants to cut off, but it doesn't I have a 2009 Camry 4cyl auto.. with 32000 this is the second time I have to take it to the dealer for this...whatever they did the last time seemed to work but now its doing this again...is this maintenance or a defect...should I have to spend money on this every year ....what a pain!!!!

Thanks
    The timing of the balance shaft might be off, slipping.
    Does anybody know about the sylvania Silver light ZXE xenon fuelled lights? Are they good? and also where i can get bosch evolution wipers? is evolution better than icon?
    which cabin air filter is the best for camry 2009?
  • paul3637paul3637 Member Posts: 45
    OEM or Fram Fresh Breeze.

About $20 ..... and do it yourself .... instructions for replacement in owner's manual.

This is about the only routine maintenacne item where dealer labor is a ripoff.

Owner's manual says 30,000 miles ..... mine get dirty every 15,000 .... I change engine air filter OEM & Cabin filter at 15K intervals ...... cabin filter gets dirtier faster ...... cannot figure out why in both locations ..... Kansas City & Gulf Breeze FL ...... neither are dusty climate.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Then engine air filter is also VERY easy to change - 5 minutes. The only thing you need is a long extension for your socket wrench.