Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn VUE

Comments

• winter55winter55 Member Posts: 11
    Tax before all rebates and discount... That the way the uncle SAM makes his money.
    I paid $20,129 for the similar options: curtain airbag, floormat and MP3 . So looks like you getting a better deal ( price for installed crossbars $400 while the MP3 is $150 ).

If you can get another 500 buck then that is perfect.
  • redbirchredbirch Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the replies.
    I just called the 800 # of Saturn and found out the $500 is only on ION not on the VUE. So the price I got seems to be the current bottom.

winter55, probably your tax rate is a little bit higher.
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    I test drove a Redline couple of months ago and was surprised by how much I liked the Vue.

The Redline, though I love how it looks, probably wouldn't be the smart option for me (a 50ish goober with a couple of kids), especially with the 18" wheels and tires which probably aren't destined to last long.

What I probably would select would be a FWD V-6, maybe with the upgraded alloys and a sunroof.

Anyway, my questions are, have you been satisfied with yours? What is the MPG in real world driving? Has it been reasonably reliable (I know the new V-6 comes from Honda and is in its first year with the Vue)? I believe you can only get a handshaker (manual shift) on the 4, is that correct?

Also, does anyone know how long Saturn will be handing out those $250 vouchers?

Thanx for your help.
    The 3.5 Honda engine and 5 speed auto trans has been used on Pilot, Odyssey and Acura MDX a long time ago. I heard that Honda had some problems with 2002, 2003 trans. I don't know about 2004 trans.

IMHO, Saturn will handling out the voucher as long as they want to sell their cars, but I am not sure about 3.5 K rebate, specially 1K from GM Truckfest
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    You pay sales tax on the final purchase price after rebates and discounts (but before any down payment you may be leaving).

If your price after rebates, vouchers, and any other discounts is $18,684.95, then that is what you should pay sales tax on. They should not be making you pay sales tax on the full sticker price.

Now in the event a consumer elects not to assign the rebates to the dealer and actually wants a check back from the manufacturer, the buyer would be required to pay tax on the price before rebates.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    You pay the tax on the sale price on the top of the sheet, then they tax that amount, then they subtract the rebates, etc./ if you have a trade-in, thatis subtracted from the original sale price, then the tax is computed on that difference and then they subtract the rebates, etc.
      That's the way it is done in every state where I have purchased cars.
      Ryster, I don't know where you live that the coputation is the way you explain it. What state???
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Thanx for the response. It isn't the drive train that I was concerned about since it is Honda pieces, but rather the accessories (AC, alternator, etc.) and the interior pieces that I was concerned about. We have a Jimmy that has been surprisingly reliable over the past five years, but it has chewed up a head gasket, an alternator, idler arms and a water pump over its first 50K miles and I am hoping for better luck with the VUE.
    The rebate,incentive or any voucher are considered as "down payment".

The only thing isn't count as down payment is your trade in old car.

Therefore,as nortsr1 said, tax before rebates not... after.

Ramped: If it is not the Honda drive train then you should not worry about other stuffs. They are the "ordinary" GMparts and like million of other of Ford, Chrysler, perhaps they come from the same small manufacturing house...
    Live in PA.

Just this past October, I bought an '03 Durango. Sticker price was approx. $30K, but with rebates and discounts the purchase price was $24K. The dealer charged me sales tax on the $24K, not the $30K.

Historically here it has been:
    Sticker
    minus discounts
    minus rebates
    Final purchase price
    plus tax on final purchase price
    plus registration
    minus downpayment
    Amount left to finance

It must vary by state.
  • redbirchredbirch Member Posts: 5
    Actually, I found the tax computation method varies from dealer to dealer.
    The Hyundai dealer calculated the tax on the price after negotiation and rebate when I test drive the Santa Fe the other day.
    What really surprised me was the tax rates they used were different!! Saturn dealer used 5.4% while Hyundai used 6%.(in KY)
    It seems the easiest way is just to put eyes on the out of door price.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    then I think tak must be applied, even if the dealer takes it off the top. I've had GM Card points taken off the price before taxes, but of course Saturn doesn't take them.
  • redz06redz06 Member Posts: 25
    I know that GM Card points have been accepted one or more times in the past. I expect that Saturn will need to kick in (again) and accept some of my GM card points if they ever want me as a customer.
  • mtenamtena Member Posts: 58
    Yep, I bought my 2003 VUE with the aid of GM Card points. There was a limit of $1,000, as I recall, but the temporary program was nice while it lasted.

I see no good reason why this "good as cash" point system could not be applied permanently to Saturn.
  • grimmbo22grimmbo22 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if it is possible to use the vouchers with a GM supplier discount?
    No, You have to choose either one.
  • compre7360compre7360 Member Posts: 2
    Sales tax based on price listed or after rebates all depends what state you live in. If you live in CA, where people love to tax, you pay tax on the amount before factory incentives, if you live in the state of Texas, the one with the great guy I'm voting for this year, you pay after the dealer incentives have been taken off. Thanks again G.W. for saving me more moeny.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    In Canada most cash backs are after tax. Talk about getting hosed! It's not the dealer's fault, it's the government. At least there is no tax on the amount (value) of the car you trade in.
  • zaksdad3zaksdad3 Member Posts: 14
    I am in the final stages of buying a V6 Vue in Houston with side curtains and need you guys and gals help quickly.

1. Was told my GM credit card points were not accepted but dealer did give me extra $750 against my $1150 potential.

2. They claimed they knew nothing of the 6 coupons worth $250 each. Noticed in the paper latter that day they are offering up to $1,500 bonus cash that I think is the same. Can someone confirm and is this a regional deal or nationwide?

3. They offered me $3500 rebate + $750 off sticker with my financing or $1,000 +750 with 0% @60. I assume the $1000 is truckfest is that correct or should I be looking for more rebates?

4. I may be able to get the GM supplier discount. What would that do for me?

5. Has anyone purchased or seen the Safe and Sound Package for $880. Saturn website says it is reduced by $360 at this time.

I need to speak to the dealer Monday to close deal and would really appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks
    Larry
    Are these impressive side impact ratings with side curtain bags or without?

Larry
    GM Supplier is great! We bought our 2003 VUE V6 AWD with GMS pricing. If you use GMS, the dealer will show you the reduced GM Supplier price on the invoice (for Saturns it is close to $1,000 off sticker). Then you take all additional incentives off of the GMS price. It is one of the cheapest ways to get a GM vehicle other than if you are a GM employee. Our 2003 VUE was a steal with the GMS pricing and incentives last year. I think between GMS pricing and rebates we ended up getting close to $5K off. It is probably even more now, but back then that was great price.
  • johnbjohnb Member Posts: 32
    Okay, we've put about 600 miles on our new 2004 Saturn VUE (4cyl 5sp manual). I am very disappointed with the mileage so far:

1st Fill-Up: ~21mpg
    2nd Fill-Up: ~20mpg

The 4cyl 5sp version of the VUE quotes a mpg estimate of 24 City / 29 Highway.

Both fill-ups were at roughly 1/2 empty. Most of the driving was 70% city / 30% highway.

Why is mine so much lower?
    Does it get better over time?

I have been driving it with utmost gentleness and not winding out the gears or anything in an attempt to get the best reasonable fuel mileage.

One of the reasons I bought the 4cyl 5sp VUE was to maximize fuel mileage (even before gas prices shot up to $2.00+ a gallon).

Any thoughts from any of you 4cyl VUE owners?

Thanks in advance.
    Do any of you know where I can get a good quality set of Tan Cloth seat covers for the rear bench seat in our 2004 VUE?

I would love it if they match the tan interior exactly, but close would work.

The Saturn Retailer said they don't have seat covers for the rear bench seat, only the front seats.

All I have been able to find online is black neoprene, which is not the look I want.

We have an infant with a car seat, and I know that things are going to get spilled on the rear seat so I'm trying to find a solution BEFORE anything gets spilled on it. :)

Thanks.
  • juliansjulians Member Posts: 42
    My 2003 4cyl 5speed has averaged 26-27 since the first day (about 50-50 freeway/city). I usually wait until about 320-350 miles to fill up the tank. The one time I filled up after the gauge looked half full, my math got messed up or something and it seemed that I only got 23 miles to the gallon. I don't know why, but try to use up more of the tank, then fill up all the way. Maybe your tank was not filled up the same or something. If your VUE is running well, you should get better than you have calculated.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Julians may be the norm, but lots of owners of various models report lousy gas mileage for the first few thousand miles. I wouldn't get too worried until 3,000 miles or so at least.

Steve, Host
  • juliansjulians Member Posts: 42
    I went for the bathroom towel, it has saved the seats from its share of spills/crackers/puke...I put three kids in the back, no trouble. Besides, an actual seat cover would not come out fast enough when it is emergency laundry time:)
  • scanrmanscanrman Member Posts: 7
    Since there were no responses to my questions, I thought I would post my results.

I had initially asked if anyone had any problems installing a Flip-Doan DVD system in their Vue with a Sunroof. One very LARGE electronics outfit said they could install it... NO Problem.

After careful consideration, I gave them the opportunity. They had a sale on a 7" Flip-Down LCD monitor with DVD player and 2 wireless headphones in a Sunday flyer ($499 uninstalled, a couple weeks ago). So after purchasing it, I paid the $190 for installation (although I probably could have done it myself but it would have taken longer and not looked as professional). I took it to their car stereo installation bay the next morning and later that afternoon POOF, it was installed as if it belonged there from day one. My only issue was that after removing the middle dome light and installing the LCD monitor in its place the rear dome light and hatch lights no longer worked. I took it back to them and within hours they had it fixed too.

Here is my advice....

1. Go to a reputable place, one that guarantees their installations. This one guarantees their work for the life of the vehicle.

2. If they say they have never installed one in a car or suv with a sunroof, don't use them to experiment on your vehicle. This place emphatically told me that they had done it many many times. I felt confident in their assurances.

3. Don't let them talk you into the FM Modulator so that you can hear the Audio from the DVD player over the radio. The FM band cuts off way too much bandwidth from the unit and the audio does not sound the same as through the headphones. I am currently checking several websites for an add on accessory to the factory am/fm/cd/mp3 player to allow direct audio input into the radio using the Aux input.

4. Don't go overboard; A 7" screen, although small, is more than enough for the kids to enjoy a movie or do Playstation on during long trips. Too big a flip down monitor and your sight through the rear window with the rearview mirror is completely blocked.

5. Get a system with separate components... don't get the all-in-one DVD/LCD monitor systems. If the DVD player goes bad or breaks, it's easily removed/replaced. Same goes for the overhead LCD. On an all-in-one system... if one goes, you need to take the whole thing down and get it fixed/replaced.

Lastly, if you have kids and intend on going on long trips with them in the back seat... GET ONE OF THESE!!!!! The silence is blissful
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    Sorry but I think I would rather have my kids do something else rather than watch TV on the road. Kids watch too much TV as it is in my opinion. Maybe not your kids, but I see my nephews and they are always watching the tube.

As kids, we seemed to manage just fine doing other things like games or reading on the road.
  • mountainmommymountainmommy Member Posts: 5
    we are going tomorrow to possibly purchase a new V6 Vue. Undecided on the FWD or AWD. Leaning towards the FWD as we live in the South and dn't think we really NEED AWD. Unless perhaps they have a program car with AWD for a good deal.

Make sure I have the incentives straight:

0% + 1,000 truckfest + up to $1500 vouchers

OR

2,500 rebate + 1,000 truckfest + up to $1500 vouchers total of $5000

Questions: I have a Kia I am way upside down on (6000 owed, MAY get $2500 trade in) Should I hold the voucher info up my sleeve until I can see what they offer for the tradein?

Also they have a 2004 with 1300 miles. They said it was preowned and didn't qualify for incentives, but I'm wondering if it isn't like one of those turned in prior than 30 days that would still qualify as new for incentives???????

Trying to keep payments under $400, $375 would be even better! If you do the full $5,000 rebates, can you still do GMAC just not 0%? What type of rate might you then get?

Thanks! Haven't bought a NEW car in 10 years! Wanna make sure I don't screw it up!

FWIW, my insurance will go down over $40 every 60 months due to the safety ratings. BTW we DEFINITELY are getting the side curtain airbags as we have 2 children.
    I'm sure they only come out on 4 cyl models they're trying to push. Some people have mentioned very good trade numbers to help close the deal.
  • mountainmommymountainmommy Member Posts: 5
    Hmm that wasn't the impression I got from some stories a few pages back. There were at least 5 or so that got it on the V6.

The Saturnofgrandledge.com website in Michigan mentions them for any VUE. That is the only dealer site I have found that mentions them.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow! Any other thoughts?
    Hopefully they'll pull out the deal enhancers to make you deal tomorrow. Good Luck. Let us know how you do!
    Just bought a new V6 FWD with side curtain bags and power seat and got the following deal.
    $1000 truckfest + $2,500 + $750 discount with 4.39% f/60 months thru eloan. This was $1 cheaper per month than 0% without $2,500 but you are better off finanicing less principle incase you decide to pay off early. You will probably not get this low a rate thru GMAC.

I pushed hard for some of the $250 vouchers and the dealer said they knew nothing about it. I also pushed for them to take my $675 credit from GM Mastercard knowing it would not apply but figured it would give me a reason to walk if needed. They countered with a $750 additional discount.

I called other Houston area and San Antonio Saturn dealers and was given mixed responses to the vouchers from the program is over to we are out to we have a few left but the most we will give is 3. I called Saturn Cust Serv and they told me the program ended May 1.

Not sure what they will do on the trade in but you would do better selling yourself as long as you factor in the tax savings of the trade in.

Larry
  • leo64leo64 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone with a Saturn 2004 AWD VUE had a problem with the driver side mirror vibrating allot when playing the radio or CD player. I know there should be some vibrations but I notice the driver side mirror vibrates allot more then the passenger side mirror. Also I just notice today on hard left hand turns, I hear a noise coming from the front like a slight rubbing pulsation.
  • duff333duff333 Member Posts: 41
    Leo64 - - We bought a 2004 Vue FWD V6 1 1 /2 months ago. got a great price and love the ride and power but - - - the vehicle soon exhibited a loud squeaking noise when making a RIGHT turn. The Vue was in the shop for a week and they fixed but after 2 weeks it reappeared. It will go back next week - - really disappointing becasue the vehicle is great otherwise. I'll let everyone know what they find.
  • sib715sib715 Member Posts: 15
    We've owned our Vue for about 6 wweks and it is a capable and comfortable SUV. Road noise is the only negative to date, but I have a question regarding the Honda engine/transmission: when on cruise control or if slight accelerator pressure, RPM's increase from 1700-1800 to 2500 RPMS. This is very noticeable on cruise and any hill, even small one's the RPM's rev up to maintain the speed. My other vehicles have a lag of about 3 mph before overdrive is enabled, but with this transmission there is no overdrive switch. My only concern is fuel usage at highway speeds everytime the RPM's increase.

Steve
  • leo64leo64 Member Posts: 4
    sib715, My AWD 04 Vue does the same thing. I sometime think the shifting can be a little sporadic at times. I just got my Vue three weeks ago and still trying to get use to some things. Noise when I turn, going to get that look at tomorrow, rattles and some other minor things. When shifting into gears, does yours lurch or jerk into gears. It may not be a problem but just how the Vues change gears. My Saturn L300 didn't do that but the L is a different car and transmission.
  • sib715sib715 Member Posts: 15
    Leo:

Thanks for sharing. The transmission shifting is more like a down shift into overdrive, it doesn't lurch, but very noticeable. From a stop, it shifts very smoothly and when I want to pass, it really accelerates :-) I too, like others have a noise on a hard right turn, I look forward to hearing from you and others as to what the fix, if any is.

Steve
  • gatesharrisgatesharris Member Posts: 6
    2004 Vue V-6 awd is a very nice car, but desperately needs some good shocks. Have used Edelbrocks before on other vehicles, but not available for Vue. Any experience/suggestions.

Thanks
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    Try a Red Line Vue. You will likely get better shocks and struts there.

I am happy with the way our Vue handles and absorbs bumps.
  • gatesharrisgatesharris Member Posts: 6
    Already have car...need aftermarket shocks.
  • whuestonwhueston Member Posts: 3
    FWD V-6. The more and more I drive it, I like it more and more. Maybe that is not much seeing how I went from a '99 Olds. Alero with it's many problems. I got the $1500 in "coupons" when I purchased, but probably half of it I ended up paying the $299 processing fee, tinted windows and fabric protection on. All in all, with trade-in and some GM stuff, I paid $15,200 including tax for a stickered $24,500 vehicle.

Gas mileage on only long trip of 350 miles was 25.8 mpg. Slightly disappointing, but I was going 78 with air on. We'll see if it gets better over time. Engine is wonderful, once it warms up after five minutes, it wants to go. I call it the "Honda Vue". With 1400 miles on it, I am going to change the oil today to synthetic and see what it does.

Get the V6 - you will not be disappointed.
    why GM's asking to buy 7K more engines and extending the deal past '07. Makes you wonder what a baby Pilot or si CRV would run like.
  • clevueclevue Member Posts: 1
    I also have 2003 Vue, has approx 20000 miles on it. While I like the vehicle generally,...it has quirkiness that requires getting used to.
    Seems like it needs to go back to dealer for "service" every couple of months or so...had to have it towed once (wiring harness somewhere behind the dash came loose; several "service engine soon" lights...one was thermostat related, one was that it sensed a "misfire condition"..and had to have the left rear wheel hub replaced. ANYWAY, mine too has "scrunching noise" noticed during left turns...am going to have dealer check it out next visit...as it is persistent. Also have vibration in right door panel somewhere..can't decide if it's in the center door panel area or "B" pillar behind the seat belt anchor mechanism. Will comment further on the left turn issue after next visit.
  • drivvendrivven Member Posts: 54
    We just finished a trip from St. Louis to Houston in our 2004 FWD V6, which now has 11,000+ miles. Temps were in the 90's on the road so we had the air on all the way. Refills averaged from a high of 29mpg to a low of 23mpg for strictly the highway miles. There were a few 26's and 27's in there too. We did find that the attitude of the vehicle at the pump has a lot to do with the amount of gas fed into the tank, ie. tilted about the longitudinal axis. We've known this for years with our RV and now it seems pretty obvious with the VUE also. The 29mpg was when we didn't get as much in as possible, and the 23 is when we pumped in more than normal.

Speeds were pretty constant in the 75mph range, when we didn't have to wait in long lines of road construction/accidents. Some of the lower rates can be attributed to those excruciating minutes of idling on the Interstate.

But all in all we were very pleased with the performance, the efficiency, the ride, and of course the AC!
  • duff333duff333 Member Posts: 41
    Ref post 3196: We took the Vue in and they again changed the Coil Spring Assy. The dealer drove it for "30 minutes" and heard no further squeaks. We picked it up and, of course, the squeaking was heard immediately. Dealer now says this is a "characteristic" of the car and we'll have to live with it. We called the area rep and all they did was give us a case # and call our dealer - - the rep then reiterated that it is a "characteristic" of the Vue.

Any thoughts from someone on what to do next? We are again going to take it back and see what happens. Maybe we can "bother" them into a fix.
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    That's funny - every time something breaks on ours, the service department says 'we see a lot of that'. We've had our 2003 in 4 times now for fixes (thermostat, fuel gauge, radiator twice).
    Wow!
    and here I am getting frustrated with fuel mileage and a little grainy rattle in the support pillar between the driver's front and rear doors. I guess I should be thankful I haven't had to start returning the VUE quarterly for big warranty fixes. Then again, I've only had it two months so time will tell...

1350 miles and still no improvement in fuel mileage on my 2004 VUE 4cyl 5sp. Still kicking around 20.1mpg to 20.8mpg. I have a road trip planned for next month -- I hope to see improvement then (pretty please :).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    It took about 5000kms to get to advertised mileage numbers in our Bravada. My Grand Prix got them almost right away. We now get even better than advertised sometimes in the Bravada.. I think some engines still need a break in period.
  • zx3for_mezx3for_me Member Posts: 26
    Well I was all set to get a Chevy Impala until I drove a bunch ofthem for the past few days......ehhhh...not terribly impressed for the cake they are asking for them.....

Can someone explain to me how the voucher thing works? I mean do I just ask the salesman how many they will offer to me? I don't want to sound too pushy or obnoxious but I also would like to take advantage of any bonus $$ I can.

I'm looking for a Black FWD V6 with perhaps the comfort seating package...no need for sunroof but finding it hard to find one with just the options I want.

I just love the power of that Honda V6 and the awesome gas mileage it gives for an engine with that oomph.

Any advice on how to get the max vouchers would be great