Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    aeroengraeroengr Member Posts: 3
    UPDATE: Toyota's Denver Region people called and said the FOUR wheel bearing replacements at 4000 miles don't count under the LEMON law, as they failed on different wheels. Need three problems on the same wheel to meet the law. Can you beleive that? :lemon:
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I believe it. Probably had a bad batch of bearings from the supplier, so now you should be okay, as I have not heard of bad bearings being a problem with these cars.

Sorry about your luck, it should get better now.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The odor is the result of the "leavings" of the microbes that THRIVE in moderate temperatures of a dark, dank, and MOIST environment of the A/C plenum in your car.

The best temporary solution is to lower the windows each and every night provided the car is under shelter.

More info at airsept.com regarding their EED.
  • Options
    msbr743msbr743 Member Posts: 5
    I purchased the '09 SE 4 cyl. w/leather interior 1 mth ago. I was wondering if anyone with an '08 or '09 SE model w/leather find the seats uncomfortable? I took an 8 hour trip 5 days after purchasing it and approx. 2 hours into the trip noticed my mid back was bothering me. By the time I arrived at my destination my back was seriously hurting. I thought it was simply from a long drive, but in the 4 weeks since that trip I cannot find a comfortable position in my car to not get a backache. I've adjusted the seat every which way, played with the lumbar (it's out completely now) but still end up with a backache after 30 min. of driving. Thought it was possibly in my head, so I drove my husband's truck yesterday & no back problems. I really like the styling of the car & am still trying to get a read on the MPG (so far only 19 that's mixed highway/city -- thought it would be at least 21), love the trunk size & leg room in the back -- but the freaking seat is driving me crazy. Any suggestions on making it more comfortable or should I just chalk it up to a bad choice & trade it in? :cry:
  • Options
    kay23kay23 Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up an 09 LE and got the power driver seat. So far, no problems, I've got over 1,000 miles on it in 5 days, so goves you an idea of my driving patterns. Did not opt for leather as I find they seem to take much longer to "break in". I do, however, fight with the headrest. So what I've done is put the back of the seat further back than normal and then I find I'm "resting" in the seat rather than feeling as though my head is pushed forwad. Had a loaded Bonneville previously and it took a few months for those leather seats to get comfy.
  • Options
    lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    My wife for the last couple of years complained on the back pain in the morning. She was driving 6 gen Accord LX and we never thought that car was the reason till we bought 09 Camry LE with fabric seats few weeks ago. No morning back pain anymore.
  • Options
    oceana143oceana143 Member Posts: 38
    Is the SE a significantly better handling car than the LE for the 4-cylinder? What about the 6-cylinder. Also, on some dealer websites I see the SE 6-cylinder cars but no 4-cylinder. Is the 4-cylinder SE tough to order. Thank you in advance for any insight. Also, are the SE seats more comfortable than those in the LE?
  • Options
    james108james108 Member Posts: 34
    I have Camry LE v6 and Solara SE v4. LE is more confortable and SE is sportier, but not much. They're all sedans, not sports cars. The latest 3.5L v6 is quite good, not a bad choice for the SE.
  • Options
    ivan_yaroivan_yaro Member Posts: 1
    I recently leased (First time leaser) a 09 Camry V6 and had a very bad experience with the dealer and had to sign the deal due to other pressing factors .

After agreeing for the lease, it came as a shock to me that "Gap Insurance" is not covered as part of the lease and I have to pay 600 additional to purchase it. At that point I was totally frustrated and cant blame anyone other than me for signing the lease. I was also not given a good money factor even though I had a excellent fico score 780+.

Having said that about the dealer, I would like to know whether the maintenance should be done only from the dealer where I leased the car or can it be done at any authorised toyota dealer ?

Also I would like to know if purchasing a "Toyota Prepaid Autocare Maintenance" plan is worth for the money ?

Any valuable comments is appreciated.
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Sounds like he took advantage of you being in a hurry. You learned I hope a valueable lesson. Never be in a hurry when money is involved, and there is never enough questions to ask either. Not sure what you mean by gap insurance but I have leased many vehicles and only insurance I ever had was plain old car insurance from my own insurance carrier. The leaser usually requires a certain amount to cover themselves if you total the car. They want to make sure they are paid and will also be on the policy. As far as where you get maintainance you can go anywhere, doesn't have to even be a Toyota dealer. One thing I always do is get the oil changed at the max mileage and not that 3K the dealer would like you to use as it lines their pockets. With the newer engines and oils 3K isn't needed anymore and besides you are only leasing it so any sooner is a waste of money. Another thing I do is keep careful watch on the tires and only rotate if they show wear since again the tires should outlast the lease by many miles and again the $16 or more dealers charge to rotate again on a leased car is a waste of money. In other words, do the least amount of maintainance you can get away with and I sure wouldn't take it to the dealer that screwed me except as a last resort and would let them know they have seen the last of me buying from them.
  • Options
    jd08jd08 Member Posts: 1
    Im looking to buy a 2004 Camry XLE 4cyl with 120,000 miles for a decent price. Im having it taken to a Toyota Dealership for an inspection, but is there anything else I should specifically look at that is known about the 2004 models? Or things known to go wry past 100,000.
  • Options
    gstringgstring Member Posts: 2
    To All
    Ditch the factory air filter for a Purolater air filter even if u apply the tsb
    for shifting performance, I did with positive results after having at least
    4 tsb's done to my 07' SE 4-cylinder camry.
  • Options
    gstringgstring Member Posts: 2
    Hey,
    Replace factory air filter with purolater brand filter. I surmise that
    the engine is starving for air. I had about 4 tsb's B-4 that!!!
  • Options
    joojehjoojeh Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a brand new 2009 camery 4cyl auto, the car shakes when shifted in to drive, upon coming to a stop, when at the light or at a stop sign I feel the car having a constant shake, I have taken the car back to the dealer with 700 mile on it and they tell me that the problem I am experiancing is not a problem at all, that the shaking is a normal characteristic of the car and that is how they were desighned and their is nothing to worry about, if the car is started in a cold morning their is no shaking at all, but when the car reaches its normal operating temperature the shaking begins again, is their any remedy to this problem is the service department too ignorant or lazy to solve the problem. The service manager tells me that I should have bought the 6cyl, I told him when I was buying the car no body told me that the car was desighned to shake, othewise I would have not bought it to begin with, who would. :lemon:
  • Options
    exlerexler Member Posts: 129
    Did the tsb's do any good for the downshifts in cruise on small hills? What did the air filter help exactly? Why were 4 tsb's needed to be done? I was told one would be enough but after it is done you may not like the new shift points. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    I do agree that I4 engine vibrates on idle more then V6 but easiest way to confirm if your car has a real problem is to compare vibration with similar car. Look at your RPMs. If RPMs are lower then vibration can be more noticeable.
  • Options
    Did you do 4 TSBs for 2009 model?
  • Options
    Most modern I4 engines use a balance shaft driven by the timing belt/chain to smooth the natural vibration effects of the engine mechanicals. If the balance shaft is out of time, not timed correctly, the vibrational effects will be WORSE than the engine alone would be.
  • Options
    For 2009 the I4 is coupled with a six (8-9..??) speed automatic. That will undoubtedly result in even more complaints of seemingly needless or inadvertent downshifts in order to keep the engine right in the cusp of optimal FE due to road surface variations.

The instances of 1-2 second downshift delay/hesitation complaints will also undoubtedly rise.

You cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear regardless of the number of TSBs applied.

Join the rest of the industry, put in a CVT and ALL of these complaints will be history.
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Until the CVT's V-drive belt in the transmission wears out.............. :sick:
  • Options
    wwest,

According to Toyota, 2009 Camry I4 comes with 5 speed transmission

http://www.toyota.com/camry/features.html?trim=2532

I bought one last month myself and it is very smooth and quiet comparing to the car it replaced - 99 Accord LX I4.
  • Options
    fslaugtsfslaugts Member Posts: 36
    I rented an 09 camry for 2 days. Base Model. 4 cylinder. I thought it drove fine in city traffic, Ac was great. Might of been a little shake now and then due to the transmission shifting. Not sure. Before I buy I will retest. I filled up the tank when I returned the car. I figured 19 mpg. My family was very happy compared to my 1998 mazda protege.
    Fred
  • Options
    Are there many problems with the drive belts on the CVT?
  • Options
    ashwinkumar96ashwinkumar96 Member Posts: 21
    I am planning to purchase a new car and I am sort of confused either to choose camry or accord. Both have got the same features , price etc. I am looking at Accord EX Vs Camry SE. I have heard that seats in Accord are very uncomfortable, how far is it true? Is it very very uncomfortable. Also comapring the HP, its 155 for camry Vs 192 for Accord. I am planning to add in the package which includes moonroof etc in camry and inspite of that the price comes almost the same. Kindly help me in arriving at a decision.
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I have no factual information about mean-time-to-failure of CVT transmissions, compared to manual or automatics.

This is one area where I personally have a probably unsubstantiated concern. Because I tend to keep each of our cars for at least 10 years or more, I tend to look at vehicles as long term transportation appliances. Metal gears, metal bearings, hydraulics in transmissions, normally are pretty reliable and we have all come to expect them to last 100K-200K miles, and manual transmissions even longer. Fiber belts....dry, crack, wear, stretch. This is why overhead cam cogged belts need replacing at approximately 90K miles. Metal timing chains were never a maintenance item.

CVT's have a fiber belt in the transmission, being squished between two sets of pulley faces. Mechancially, I just have a hard time thinking that a belt can withstand the harsh working environment of auto's (heat, cold, dry, humid, high rev's, etc), and compare favorably over the many years against a manual or hydraulic automatic transmission.

For someone leasing, turning the vehicle in before the warranty runs out, who doesn't care about longevity, CVT would be fine. Just don't think I'll find them in my stable in my remaining lifetime.
  • Options
    I have no idea of how it's being done, but modern CVT "belts" for automotive use are metal, links, I think.
  • Options
    My advice is to take a good long test drive in both--I think overall the Camry ride is much more "softer" for the lack of a better word. The test drive is most important in my opinion.
  • Options
    I no little about these new CVT transmissions but I don't trust them. I wonder about their reliability over the long run. How much does it cost to rebuild one compared to a regular transmission. Also I am not sure if it makes a difference whether you get the camry with the 5 or 6 speed auto. Maybe manufactures are going to them because they are cheaper to produce and more expensive to repair.
  • Options
    As of yet I have seen no evidence that CVT's have a lower useful life vs geared. And if I were doing the overhaul I would much rather tackle a CVT than a 5 or 6 speed automatic.

Manufacturers are going with 5 and 6 speed (7-9 speed in practice/reality) in order to compete with the FE of the new CVT's, and meet the new CAFE standards, especially with small 4 cylinder engines.
  • Options
    msbr743msbr743 Member Posts: 5
    I was in your situation all summer. I looked at every brand sedan on the market (except for the ones I desperately wanted but knew I couldn't afford) and couldn't narrow it down. Even test drives couldn't help me make up my mind. I finally did hours (literally) of research on the Accord, Camry & Altima. That research included reading professional reviews as well as consumer reviews (very helpful). I had narrowed it down to the Altima but the day I went to actually buy they didn't have the car with the package I wanted. In my opinion, Altimas are great cars but their packages make it hard to get the things you want & don't want. While I didn't find the Accord uncomfortable (I actually thought it was very comfortable) I did find that the 4 cyl. didn't have quite the pickup I wanted & had a lot of road noise. I didn't want to spend the extra $$$ for gas on a 6 cyl. so went to look at the Camry one more time. I bought the SE because I liked the look the sports package gave it -- it actually looks a lot like a Lexus. While the 4 cyl. had less HP than the 4 cyl. Accord, the pickup is actually quite good (passing & merging on the interstate) & it is a zippy car. Gas mileage has been decent. I'm averaging around 19 or 20 in the city but did get around 38 on the highway on a recent trip. I think it could be better in the city, but I tend to have a heavy foot. My one complaint with the car (posted under another thread) is that my back has been hurting me after driving for a while. I opted for the leather seats because I wasn't crazy about the look & feel of the cloth seats. However, I went to my chiropractor and he explained to me that he sees quite a few people with new cars complaining of back pain. Apparently when you are used to a car that sits low and doesn't have a lot of support or a truck or SUV that sits up high and then transition to a car that actually has good supportive seats, your back will become achy because you're actually getting the support you really need. In other words, the seats are making you use the correct posture. He suggested taking the lumbar out completely and increasing it just a little every day until my back "learns" the correct posture. After a good adjustment today & following his suggestions I'm hoping this will help. Between the Accord & Camry, I really would recommend the Camry. The ride is extremely smooth & quiet, there is a lot of leg room in the back seat and the trunk is very big. You can store a lot of stuff if you need to. And since I've bought the Camry, I've looked at it next to an Accord in a parking lot and it seems to look bigger. The Accord almost has a small car look instead of a mid-size sedan. Kind of reminded me of my Sentra. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide on.
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    Nissan (as you might expect) claims less warranty repairs costs on the many CVT cars they make compared to what they used to. The continued worship of the almighty MPG will mean that most (if not all) mfgrs. will need to develop their own CVTs to remain competitive . The conventional AT should become a thing of the past particularily on sedans like this. While the CVT is more dependent on those infamous DBW/computer decisions, it also means for substantially less mechanical losses (slippage), more simplicity, and (sooner or later) less repair costs vs. the usual multi speed AT. Right now there is a very limited market for CVT repairs primarily because Nissan is preferring to replace them as opposed to repair them. I have no doubt that they are cheaper to produce, but believe that the primary motivations for them have to be their relative efficiency.
  • Options
    notmybmwnotmybmw Member Posts: 101
    Hi, Mark.

Do you know where I can download a copy of this infamous TSB?

Thanks, buddy!

Ciao,
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks, Mark.

I'm gonna love waving this hard copy of the TSB in my dealer's face tomorrow.
    He said your number was all wrong and that it referenced some bulletin from a "third party"

He's nuts.......and I'm gonna tell his dealership owner!

These uppity service managers need some "come uppance"!!

Thanks again!
    Scotty
  • Options
    Thanks for the explanation. I believe you are right. I have not driven a CVT, but from what I have read in auto magazines I think I still like the old transmissions better.

Fred.
  • Options
    Glad I could help. Please let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    Does anyone out there have access to ANY Toyota Canada Technical Service Bulletins? (TSBs?)

I'm trying to get my hands on the Enhancement to Shifting Performance and Smoothness TSB that pertains to the 2007, 2008 and 2009 CANADIAN Camry. This TSB applies to Camry LE models with 5 speed automatic transmissions. I believe the American version of this TSB is the 0068-08.

I had my dealer perform the software upgrade defined in the bulletin today, but the service manager is being pissy about even showing me a copy of the Canadian TSB, never mind giving me a copy of it. This, even though I was the one who informed him that the TSB even existed....which they didn't know last week, before I went in. (NOTE: Anyone who's purchased an 07, 08, or 09 Camry LE from Performance Toyota in the Niagara Region, in Ontario Canada, can now go in to the service department, with the confidence that Performance will NOW know what you're talking about if you tell them you want the Engine Control Module (ECM) TSB for Enhanced Shifting performed on your car.)

However, make sure they do the required test/training drive (which they didn't do on mine) AND affix the Authorized Modification Label under the hood, as required by Toyota. (They didn't even have the stickers on hand.....but I advised them that this is a necessity, so they're ordering them now.)

So, any Canadian TSB sources out there?
    Thanks to all,
    Scotty.
  • Options
    Sorry, I forgot to mention in my previous post that after having had the "shifting" TSB performed on my 07 Camry LE, it does seem to be a little peppier around town, but I've not yet had a chance to take it out for a highway run to see if the flipping and flopping of tranny speeds still occurs at cruising speeds, as it used to.....or if the transmission still hunts for a gear when re-accelerating after having slowed down on a ramp, etc.
    The dealer was supposed to put the car "through its paces" under a prescribed regimine of gear changes and speed levels......but he said he "didn't have time for that". Nice. This is my dealer in St. Catharines, Performance Toyota. Can you tell they're the only Toyota dealer in town?
    My plan is to appeal to a dealer principal to have the required test drive performed. I'll keep you posted (so to speak.)

By the way, they referred to this TSB as the 2650.....which I'm not at all confident is the correct TSB number.

Scotty
  • Options
    When the TSB was done it is highly likely that the engine and transaxle control parameters that were "learned", adjusted, over the duration you previously drove the car were discarded in favor of restoring the factory original "default" (engineer's "best guess"), or a new default parameter set more in line with the TSB changes.

In any case depending on the engine and transaxle component wear level, servomotor calibration, and sensor tolerance drift, etc, it may take several drive cycles, factory prescribed, precisely controlled drive cycles, to even bring the "learned" control parameters back into the ballpark, OBDII emissions MIL cleared. Since you are not very likely to rigidly adhere to the factory prescribed drive cycle you should not expect 2 or 3 of YOUR drive cycles to accomplish the task.

Then it might take as much as 500 miles to bring the parameters back to the level of accuracy they were just prior to the TSB application.

So the dealer not being willing to put the car "through its paces" was a perfectly reasonable decision. It probably wouldn't have helped matters absent your needing to immediately complete/pass an emissions test.

You probably will not know if the TSB even fixed anything until that ~500 miles has gone by.
  • Options
    Hi, wwest.

Thanks for your response. I understand what you're saying about the emissions specs and so on, but it's not the dealer's "prerogative" to decide whether or not they'll perform the test drive........it's part of the directive included in the TSB:
    "3. Start the engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature before test driving.
    4. Test drive the vehicle to confirm proper vehicle operation and ECM (PCM) initial learning.
    Refer to TIS:
    2007 / 2008 / 2009 model year Camry Repair Manual,Drivetrain – Automatic
    Transmission/Transaxle – “U250E Automatic Transaxle: Automatic Transaxle System: Road Test”

If this procedure is not followed, to the letter, then the TSB has not been performed....just like the labeling requirement. The dealer MUST attach the Authorized Modification Label, otherwise he has not completed the TSB. (If this were an owner-performed procedure, you can well imagine that any warranty factor would be voided if the factory issued TSB were not followed to the letter; it shouldn't be any different for the dealer.....especially since they are being PAID by head office to do this.)

Otherwise, why waste everyone's time (and credibility) by even including the test drive procedure/description in the fix?
  • Options
    "The dealer was supposed to put the car "through its paces" under a prescribed regimine of gear changes and speed levels...."

My bad.

I read the above as meaning using the drive cycle technique/regimine to clear the MIL. Yes, the dealer should be required to test drive the vehicle to verify a correct level of performance in accordance with the TSB.
  • Options
    What kind of mileage to expect out of Bridgestone Turanza EL 400 tires in mostly city driving--my at 11K look one-half worn--anyone else had experience with this tire?
  • Options
    waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    If you live in the southwest area of the United States, you should test-drive both the USA-made Camry and Japanese-made Camry at the same time to compare fit-and-finish qualities. Both the salesman and I were surprised to see that the seats in the Japanese-made Camry felt more stiffer and supportive, wind noise is less, doors closing are quieter, fewer plastic creak interior noise, and smoother running engine that gives 1% better acceleration time. Although an average person will not notice any difference at all, a picky person can tell the difference very easily. We are both picky and eye-alert.

I drove home tonight with an extremely-rare Japanese-made 2009 Camry LE I4 auto. Everything was put together well. While most of the Japanese-made Camrys are found in higher trim-levels, having a Japanese-made basic Camry LE I4 auto with no option is something that is really impossible to get. The dealer I bought from charged me $1,000 more from the USA-made one due to its rarity, and they only get one in shipment every month. :surprise:

According to the Toyota dealer I spoke with, only 1% of 2009 Camry productions (excluding hybrids) are Made in Japan, and are strictly sold only in California, Arizona, and Nevada. Because of its low production number, they tend to be build more slowly and carefully. The ones build from Japan come with Michelin tires as standard instead of Bridgestone.

2009 could mark as the final-year for Japanese-made Camry for the North American market as the 2.4L AZ engine will be replaced with a totally-new 2.5L AR engine next year in spring 2009 for 2010 model. The AZ engine was designed in Japan, but the new AR engine was designed in USA.
  • Options
    wow... 1% better acceleration time. Hope it's really made a difference for you. Did you pay extra for "J" in the VIN? I've been reading that Japanese made cars use lower quality steel that American made ones. Personally, I don't believe there is any difference in quality between country of assembly for Camry at this point of production life cycle. It is all subjective, you can easily find people to like one over another.
  • Options
    In my experience, I've had a Rav that was made in Japan that had many build quality issues. None were real problems that made the car undriveable, just annoying. Compare that with the Toyotas I have had that were built in the US and Canada, and my experience is that the US/Canada ones have had less trouble than Japan built. This includes a Kentucky-built Camry. Just giving another side of the story. :)
  • Options
    While all RAV4s are made in Japan, I don't think they were built slowly and carefully because of large production quantities and demand. Same thing as for USA. The early 2007 Camrys had tons of problems due to rush making, especially at the Subaru Lafayette plant in Indiana. It all depends, really. The Camry is an exception. But, historically, the Japanese-made ones tend to be slightly higher quality than USA-made ones. Take at look at the Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti, and compare them to Cadillac and Lincoln.
  • Options
    Wow, lower quality steel. I think that's better news for me. It lowers the curb weight of the car a little, so I get slightly better MPG. :)
  • Options
    It also might explain 1% faster acceleration. :shades:
  • Options
    paul3637paul3637 Member Posts: 45
    Toyota OEM tires tend to get low mileage because they want both good traction and low road noise when people test drive them.

See my profile: 2009 Camry V-6 LE with under 5000 miles and the tires are the same as yours with a 260 Tread Wear rating. My tires are already starting to show (even) wear but the great gas mileage may pay for it.. My first oil change became due before the six months at 3,800 miles so the tires were not rotated.

BAD OEM TIRES are the one problem you get with Lexus/Toyota. Go to ConsumerReports.org to find what tires to put on your car. Usually Michellein but there is a new Bridgestone series that has a tread wear rating over 600. Your tires probably have a the same 260 tread wear rating mine do. I don't understand why Toyota puts low mileage tires on all its vehicles ........... probably because they have great traction and no road noise.

THE GOOD NEWS: Here is the reliability you can expect from your vehicle based on the experience of my family:

In over a million miles:

All maintenance done at the dealer but not on their scale - we go by the owners manual and double the oil and air filter changes. My family has bought Toyota and Lexus ONLY with V-6 or V-8 engines since 1991: 1991 LS400 V-8 180,000 miles, 1992 4wd Pickup V-6 that went 150,000 with no repairs other than brake pads, 1997 Camry LE V6 with 200,000 before giving it as a gift to a nephew, 1999 Solara V-6,that went 90,000 before being traded in, a 2002 Avalon V-6 - sold to a fried when it had 89,000 miles - he has gone to 200,000 mile with no repairs, Wife's 2002 Lexus ES 300 and my 2009 Camry V-6.

Other than brake pads: NO REPAIRS. WI fe's LS400 battery went out in two years. Other than that, you almost feel cheated when your warranty wears out and you have had no warranty claims. I can tell I will have to replace my tires at about 25,000 miles. Read the Lexus forums; they all have the tire wear problem. The answer is there is no answer but after replacing one set of tires, you will be happy with your purchase of the Camry.

Best wishes.

Eight (8) vehicles. They never break down
  • Options
    mzhangmzhang Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a 2009 Camry CE auto with no options. I am in TX. The quotes I got from the dealers range from $18,750 to $19,500. I think the price is too high. In CA, $17,500 can get an LE. What are the good prices for the model that you guys got in TX? And from which dealer? Thanks.