Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Camry

Comments

• notmybmwnotmybmw Member Posts: 101
    Hi, Ronshi.

There are lots more questions you need to answer and ask before proceeding with a lease agreement.
    For example, you didn't mention whether your (current) dealer has asked for an upfront cash payment. Monthly payments will differ depending on whether or not you lay down some cash up front.
    Also, you'll want to discuss gap insurance. (I think you'll find there are a couple of issues here, including the amount paid in the event the vehicle is written off....and the amount the dealer may charge you IN ADDITION to the agreed buy-out price at the end of the lease).
    Do some additional research on these and other issues before getting too concerned about "smaller issues" such as monthly payment numbers.
    Here's one place to look.....but there are lots.
    http://www.autotraderleaseguide.com/ebooks.html

One good way to learn about leasing is to visit at least three dealers to get their pitch.......at lease one of which should be of a brand different from the one you're considering.....just to get a better feel for the entire "universe" of car leasing terms, conditions and even jargon.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Scotty
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Notmybmw has given you some good feedback, but there is a boatload of leasing information for you right here. Look through the information in our Leasing Tips section on the main site, and you can also drop by the Camry Lease Questions discussion to see how others are working their leases.

Good luck to you!
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Does your 2009 Camry you're driving in ever freeze your whole body while the A/C is on max? I have some trouble getting used to the air conditioner because many times, the temperature would read lower than 45 degrees F while holding my mini thermometer at the vent oulet, even if the weather is 100 degrees F outside. I always have to raise the temperature knob a little until 1/4. I know A/C is always cold, but I have never been into something that is colder than a freezer. I already got sick and fainted three times already. Perhaps the Japanese-made Camry blows 20% colder air than USA-made Camry, but I don't really know. Help me what you observed?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Geez, I sure hope you weren't driving when you fainted. Why would you have the air on so long that it makes you faint? Something wrong here. Either you're pulling our leg or maybe you need a little help, and I don't mean at your local Toyota dealer. No one in their right mind would leave the air that cold ( if it was even possible) till they pasted out.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If you use the system on MAX cooling and also set a LOW blower speed the temperature of the outflow might approach 35F.

If you are using max cooling to improve the A/C efficiency then re-routing the outlet airflow to footwell mode will help.

On the other hand if you are using it to combat outside odors then you should use the recirculate mode of the system and the A/C otherwise normally.

It is only the OLDER HVAC system wherein max cooling would automatically mean recirculate mode. Nowadays they are separate functions.
  • exlerexler Member Posts: 129
    Excellent analogy and information--As you say--depends on driving style. I guess I got used to my 02 Camry that did not have this problem to that great of an extent. I think that had a 4-speed transmission. Maybe adding that 5th gear in this transmission highlighted the vibration problem to a greater degree--more parts =more possible issues??? Thanks again.
  • mzhangmzhang Member Posts: 2
    I went to a Toyota dealer to buy a Camry. The tag on the car and dealer all said it was a 2009 model. However, when I gave the VIN number to the insurance company, their system showed it was a 2008 Camry. Which one is correct? Is it possible that the dealers lied about the year? Thanks.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    If the sticker from the factory says it is an '09, it is an '09. The insurance company is probably wrong. Another way to check is look at the manufacture date on the sticker inside the driver's door - tell us what it is, and we can tell you if it is an '09. But, really just look at the sticker that's on the window with the prices, etc. That tells you the model year.
  • adamw812adamw812 Member Posts: 32
    If the 10th digit in the VIN is an 8 it is a 2008, if it is a 9, it is a 2009
    How is the Camry performing now after the TSBs that were performed last month?--was looking forward to your comments after driving it awhile . Thanks.
  • cars2009cars2009 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Toyota Camry Owners- 2008-2009 CAMRY SE

Please reply to us via emial through this forum-

1. Drivers seat pain and discomfort will driving
    2. Neck, back, leg, pain
    3. Poor lumbar support and seating position
    4. Lack of dealer support.
    5. Back problems and neck problems after a drive
    6. Feel as if the lunbar is pressing against your spine

Please contact us - with your experiences, questions or concerns.

You may reach out to us via email on the forum- we'll respond!

Thanks !!!
    So far, so good. Continue to look through multiple online dealers' inventories non-stop since last month, and there are no more Japanese-made imports coming in since the September 2008 manufactured date. Maybe I got lucky by owning the very-last Japanese-made Camry to roll off the assembly line. :shades:
  • santocssantocs Member Posts: 54
    Hi,

I have been putting only 87 grade gasoline in my 2009 camry. Is it ok to put 93 gasoline now? i heard that changing the grade is bad for engine? is it true?
    No.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    If it's a 4-cylinder, you only need to use 87. Anything higher and you're just wasting money.
  • secondleasesecondlease Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    I want to ask a question, how to get out of car lease without penalty(of course, with some handling fees)? I would appreciate if someone can shed some light on where to start, where to get info, possibly how to start the process?
    Thanks in advance.
    Try this discussion: Lease Termination Fees and other costs. You should be able to get some good advice there on the best way to proceed.

Note that you cannot use the Forums to advertise your car which is why one of your posts was removed.

Good luck!
  • Joseph1111Joseph1111 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Camary SE 4cyl. I had to purchase a seat cushion because I could not stand to be in the driver's seat for more that 50 miles before I had to get out. This helped alittle but it's not the correct repair for a new car. I was told the seat has to be that hard because of all the airbag sensors. I am not happy with the seat and suggest people drive the car for an extended time before making a decision to buy. Also I live in Western New York and the car has a high idle problem especially for 5 to 8 minutes from start up on. It idles at 2000 RPM's. I used to be a GM dealer and GM had this problem years ago. I was told it is normal and the car has to idle fast to heat up to meet EPA standards. I don't buy that answer. Regardless the car is unsafe when it will not idle down. It is not practical to be expected to set in the car for 5 minutes or more to allow the car to warm up for the idle to come down. The Pontiac I traded in did not do this and my Nissan truck does not do this. There needs to be a fix. Also there is a bad blind spot in this car when you are changing lanes to the left. I had to buy a small stick on mirror to pick up the most of the blind spot to correct this problem. This car has some design problems that need to be addressed. I was very dissapointed when calling Toyota for help. The customer service person did a great job of listening to me but then all I get is a "canned answer" that was scripted by Toyota corporate. This is the same customer treatment I used to get from GM and when I was a dealer it's the same answers I would here from GM too. Then when Toyota asked you to complete a survey about your call they don't ask questions about your results or about what you think of Toyota Corporation, they ask about how the represenatitive treated you. They should be asking what you think of the facotry not the rep you just talked to. I warn you that the customer treatment at Toyota is no better than you get at GM and we all see what condition they are in. Toyota better improve here.
    Sounds like you didn't do a very good job of testing this car. All your compaints should have been detected during a proper test except for maybe the idle. For being a X GM dealer you sure didn't do a very good job of doing your homework. Take the car to a person who redoes seats and have him/her put in different padding to fix for you. :cry: Oh ya, we heard you the first time. :P
    Actually, we appreciate the fact that Joseph is pointing out things that prospective buyers might want to be alert for when doing their own testing.

And by the way, accidental reposts are an unfortunate "feature" of the platform we're on. No biggie, the double post has been handled.

We'd really rather encourage participation rather than jump all over new members, okay? Okay! :)
  • thefamthefam Member Posts: 2
    Hey Guys,

Just a quick thanks for having an awesome board like this, that the average person could go to to get answers.

I just purchases a 2009 Toyota Camry SE, that came with a manufacturer installed alarm system.

My question is, what would be the best (quality,affordability) Remote Start System to install?

And also is it possible to have the remote starte installed in the Key that came with the car (which only has buttons for lock, unlock, trunk and panic) instead of having those big clumpy remotes attached to the key.

i.e. Like is it possible to put it in the door unlock function button that when you unlock the doors then hold it down for five seconds the car starts....

Thanks in advance for your help... the board is great!

- Anthony
    Hi, Since yesterday the tire pressure indicator comes on when i start the car in the morning. It stays on in the morning. In the afternoon when i take it for lunch it comes on but goes away after some time.

Do i need to take it to my dealer to check it out?

Does anybody noticed any vibration when the rear defogger button is pressed. I notice a little vibration when it it pressed. Is it normal??
    By the afternoon your tires have been "pre-heated", the day is warmer, and now after you dirve it some distance the HEATED air in the tire(s) will have expended enough to meet the minimum pressure level of the TPMS.
    Sounds to me like you need to add air to the tire. As long as I'm writting this just a little something for those of you with tire monitors. When you have the tires rotated MAKE SURE the dealer calabrates the tires to their proper position. Mine didn't and I noticed the left front was 2 lbs. low but when I checked it before adding air the pressure was perfect. A few weeks later it was down around 4 and checked again. Ok. So I figured I would put this on my list for next oil change. A week later it was down 6 lbs and the display was on all the time so took it to dealer and they discovered that whoever rotated tires didn't reset the monitor system and it was another tire that was really low. I could have ruined a tire thinking everything was ok but it really wasn't.. Got a free oil change for their mistake.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    don't forget to check the pressure in your spare!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    A number of vehicles don't maintain individual wheel location setting, they just monitor 5 sensors and turn on a singular TPMS warning light. There is no resetting the wheel location when you rotate tires, but then you have to check all of the tire pressures to find the one that is low.........which you should obviously do anyhow if you get a warning light.
    On my wifes Caddy it reads each tire so you take it for granted that left front tire is 22lbs. instead of 30 which it calls for you check that tire and when it is right on the money you think that the monitor in the tire is defective not realizing that some idiot at the dealer when he rotated didn't take the extra one minute to use his hand held gadget to re sync. the wheels to the proper places. On the cheap setups I can see having to check all tires. Even my sisters cheap HHR has digital readout of each tire pressure.
  • demedjademedja Member Posts: 2
    I owned a 1998 Camry and loved that car. Drove it 100% problem free for many years and it still looked and ran great when I sold it. This year I looked into buying the 2009 model and was very disappointed. I'm not knocking Toyota because they have a reputation for making really good cars, but this current version of the Camry is not as good quality as the ones prior to 2007. I test drove an SE V6 and was dismayed at the low grade interior plastics and some of the panels not matching up properly in the spaces---something I NEVER imagined I would ever see in a Toyota vehicle. I liked the car except for these things. From what I've heard, some of these cars are built better than others. I don't know.

But the thing that turned me off from the car was the awful blue plastic centerpiece on the dash and the HUGE toy-like buttons that look and feel like they would easily wear and break off. These things have just got to go because they make the interior of an otherwise beautiful car car look very cheap. I still cannot believe that Toyota actually put this in the Camry. I even asked the dealer if there was an option to upgrade to a different interior layout without the blue plastic stuff. He said there wasn't. Two weeks later I went back to the dealer and test drove the car again because I really wanted to buy another Camry---even got approved for their 0% deal. But I just couldn't get past that blue plastic stuff, and that was the only reason I did not buy the car. I really hope Toyota removes this design from the next update of the car. I know some people might like it but I think it looks terrible.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Hey everyone, I have a 2009 Toyota Camry SE (4 cylinder). I have had it since August and just put 5000 miles on the car. Overall, it seems like a smooth riding car and I am very happy with it. Before I got this car I knew they were going to refresh this generation camry and I was wondering if anyone knew when that 2010 model is coming out. Although I already have my Camry I am just curious to see the changes to the refreshed model.
    Does anybody has experienced any vibration when the rear defogger button is pressed on the 2009 camry?

there is a little change in the rpm as well.
  • msbr743msbr743 Member Posts: 5
    Out of curiosity (as I haven't had a need to use it before), I turned the rear defogger on this a.m. & did notice a vibration. I could feel it in my seat -- almost like one of those massage cushions. Maybe I'll leave it on all the time & it will help with the seat being uncomfortable as that issue still hasn't been worked out. As to the RPM, I didn't notice any change.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I can't see why it would vibrate the seat -- or cause any vibration at all. In any case, the defogger times out after about 10 minutes, because it draws a lot of electrical power.

Santocs - I really wouldn't worry about it.
    Wow, I haven't noticed any vibration at all in my Japanese-made 2009 Camry, and I use it a lot. All I hear is a click sound at the fuse section to turn on.
    Are we supposed to be impressed with your [non-permissible content removed] Camry? It sure don't impress me.
    No impressions are needed. I only share my experience.
    Yea right thats why every post included the [non-permissible content removed] Camry as in gee I don't have that problem with my Camry that was built in Japan, or something very similar.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Most Camry's and their drivetrains are built in Kentucky.
    Last time I've been to a Toyota dealer, 99% of Camrys they have in stock are made in Indiana. You can tell by the VIN #.
  • atb2atb2 Member Posts: 30
    I was at the dealer recently and the Camry(s) I looked at were built at TMMK in Kentucky. The one I bought in April was also built there.

http://www.toyotageorgetown.com/
    It doesn't matter where they are "built" (assembled..?), they're the best value overall in the class for a FWD passenger car.
    Agreed; perception used to be the "J" vins were superior in build, fit and finish, etc. I don't think that applies now.
    Resale, reliability, safety, on and on - best value overall in class as you stated.
    Yes. It did just as described; a 1-2 second vibration mostly in the steering wheel and probably a 50 rpm drop, then it recovered slightly. It's more pronounced in D than Park. Amp draw must be substantial. I suspect the V6 does not react this way.
    I get a vibration in my 4 cylinder 08 Camry automatic when driving at a steady 50 mph in"D". When I put it in "4" this does not happen. This has nothing to do with the rear defogger as it is off. Any ideas on this?
    It would not be considered "normal" to drive the Camry consistently in "4" rather than "D" so you may have a mechanical resonance that was inadvertently overlooked, maybe even intentionally so.

A 4 cylinder mated with a CVT or 6 speed would have been a better match, those are coming.
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Member Posts: 101
    My educated guess is that you are (or at least your transmission is) "lugging" your engine in an attempt to live up to its EPA gas mileage claims. Check your tach to be sure. When you hear the vibrations, I'll bet your engine is turning about 1300 to 1500 RPM. This used to be considered a "fast idle"; now it's what mfg's strive for as an engine "cruising" speed. It's VERY tough on 4 cylinders to achieve this since they are inherently less smooth to begin with, compared to engines with more cylinders to "round off" the bumps of the compression/firing strokes.

Drive in 4th when around town and you'll notice all this "commotion" will all but disappear. (and your throttle response will be better if/when you need it). Just don't forget to put her back in "over-D-rive" when you get out on the highway and "up to speed" so that you DO get that great MPG!

Cheers,
    Scotty
    I don't agree at all. See post #7019 at "Prices paid and buying experience" thread. I was laughing my [non-permissible content removed] off at how lousy the assembly quality is in one of Indiana-made ones.
    while waiting for an oil change for my rare, Japanese-made 2009 Camry, Still at it I see on the other forums though you tried telling us that wasn't so. :P
    Oops....!!
    Let's move on, please.
    Thanks WWEST for the reply---How can I rid the vehicle of this mechanical resonance?---- As I am not too mechanically inclined I need more explanation regarding that issue-- I do not know if that TSB-0069-08 would have any value regarding correction of this matter--I read that TSB relates to vibration issues between 30-45 mph . I never had this issue with my 02 - 4 cylinder---4 speed automatic . I take it from your post you do not feel this 4 is a good match with a 5-speed automatic. Thanks for the input on this matter.