Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Camry

Comments

• jaggerjagger Member Posts: 8
    When my fob for my '09 Camry CE didn't beep and flash lights when pressing lock/unlock, I took the car and keys back to the dealer. After hours of scratching their heads, they told me that the solution was not in their tech manuals and they had to go on-line with Toyota to discover that there is a 1-inch rod-shaped silver switch under the dash above the emergency brake that toggles to turn on and off the fob function that controls the beeps and flashes. So if you want quiet and no lights, flip the switch.

Jagger
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    CE's (or Standard grade Camry, as it is now called) don't come with this from the factory, so you must have had this added by the dealer?
  • atb2atb2 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks to mcdawgg (post #656) and wwest (post #665) for the for their expertise. The gurus have spoken -- us rookies should take note.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    ,,,,,how about because it is a belt drive in the CVT transmission, as opposed to metallic gears.....
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Belt, yes, but a metallic one....

I'm now sure just how much engine torque modern CVT's can provide/handle, note you don't see any with higher torque engines. The infinite gear "ratios" are certainly a modern day godsend with regard to FE and seemless/smooth shifting.

It may even be that DBW is being used to pre-emptively derate the engine in low(er) CVT "gear" ranges, as it is in many FWD cars for reasons of SAFETY, using traction control.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I need tires for my 2005 SE-V6. The Bridgestone EL400s have a few miles left after 30K miles but it's winter and there's snow (33" already this year) so I can use the full tread of a new tire.

Based on Tirerack ratings, I am considering Michelin Primacy (pricey), Bridgestone Potenza G019, Goodyear ComforTred, and Yoko Avid V4S. Need to check out Consumer Reports also.

I want low highway noise and no decrease in gas mileage. Knowing that the OEMs go for low rolling resistance to maximize gas mileage, wondering what Toyota is putting on Camrys these days. Especially interested in the SE.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I replaced the Bridgestone OEM with Goodyear Comfort treads which I've had on a previous vehicle. They are smooth and good in snow and rain. However I lost a mpg or so as tradeoff for the great ride and traction - you can't have it all. I also have several cars with Michelin Harmony which I believe cost less than the newer Primacy. The harmony tires are very similar to the comfort treads. Both of these tires have delivered better tread life than my Bridgestone OEM.
    My '01 AWD RX300 has just spent almost ten days riding with tire chains on all four. 2 feet of snow accumulated at home, just now melting away. Underneath those chains is 4 Bridgestone Turanza summer only QUIET and comfortably riding tires.

I'd rather "suffer" the rare and short lived tire chain installation/noise/removal than suffer the NOISE and discomfort of winter specialty tires CONSTANTLY.
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Member Posts: 101
    I'm inclined to agree with mcdawgg on the fob factor. I can't imagine a single pole, single throw toggle switch under the dash to accomplish this sort of set up.

I had my dealer "de-program" my main key so that the horn would NOT blast every time I lock my '07. The keys come defaulted to blow the horn, and unfortunately I think this is a feature that far too many newbies (to keyless entry) love to hear, when in fact, to save the rest of us from way too much noise pollution, they could just as easily listen for the door locks "clunking" when they hit the button.

Thanks to German ingenuity, (and, of course the $50K price tag) when my BMW key fob locks/unlocks the doors, there is a totally separate (from the horn) LITTLE beeper that goes off.......and sounds much more civilized that a horn blast.

Scotty
  • adamw812adamw812 Member Posts: 32
    Funny, My Camry has a Beeper too and does not sound the horn.
    Hmmmmmmm. I wonder if they updated that on the 08 models. Could have sworn it was my horn, not a beeper, and that's why I had it shut down. It was damned loud, whatever it was.....and totally unnecessary. The clunk of the mechanism can be easily heard from 20 feet away, which is all the indication you need that the locks are down.
    My Porsche sounds the horn if all is secure but a beeper if anything is a problem, glove box slightly ajar, sunroof, etc.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    GM sets theirs to toot the horn only if you press it twice. First time locks them and second time is for the newbe. Most of their cars can be programed a few different ways.
  • brandon30263brandon30263 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a new 2009 Toyota Camry from the dearlership in July 2008. I test drove a camry before buying it and it was nice, no big complaints. I called the dealership to inform my rep that I had decided to purchase the car, to go ahead and have it cleaned up ready to go for me when I got there, I did not want to be there 4 hours signing and waiting for them. Long story short, after 2 weeks of driving the car and came time for the first detail (from me) I noticed several spots on the car of where the paint had "dirt" underneath the paint or in the paint. Took car to a local body shop, they told me I needed to have toyota dealership to correct the problem and also have them look into the paint quality. There was no wax on the car and there were already spots in the paint where the clear coat was not applied correctly and it was a bad paint job. Took car in, waxed the car and it looked good. But they ignored my concerns with the dirt under the paint. The longer i have the car, the more spots i notice. It seems to be on all 4 doors under the window seal and inside the door frame. I have spoken to the service manager and still no luck. All they keep saying is we need to repaint the car, repaint the car.. I do not want my 2009 car repainted. I want the car replaced. What should I do? Thanks!
    Yeah, as I recall with my Pontiac Montana van, I could literally program the key myself (using the single page instructions I received when buying a replacement key off eBay).
    It could be programmed for 1. horn, no lights, 2. lights, no horn, 3. lights AND horn....or 4. neither horn NOR lights.
    The system was great....and I assume Toyota would have "stolen" similar technology (you know, along with the nuclear sub propeller designs!!....LOL)
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    My 2004 and 2005 Camrys have the remote keyless with only the beeps (and turn signal flashers). I think you can program other settings, but I'm not positive about that.

On the 2006 Kia Sedona van at work, the first press locks the doors silently; the second press toots the horn.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    There's no way you are going to get a replacement car (at no cost) for what sounds to me like minor paint defects.

I'd refuse a repaint also; my suggestion is just to live with the problem. Some of the defects are inside the door frame? Why worry about those?

I like my cars to be "perfect" also, but there's always the reality of that first door ding or bumper "tap."
    About 3 years ago while at the Detroit Auto Show I saw a Rolls with a paint defect right near the rear door pull but on the 1/4 panel and this was about a $400,000 car. So be thankful you didn't pay that much. You buy a cheaper car you can't expect it to be perfect, after all it is built by humans.
    You buy a cheaper car you can't expect it to be perfect, after all it is built by humans.

And robots... My '09 LE isn't perfect either, but more than acceptable. I try and look beyond the flaws and to not major on the minors..
    Robots, how could I forget and they are the ones that do most painting in newer plants too but not their fault if it isn't a clean invirement. Only problem with robots is they don't buy cars.
  • 19bill5619bill56 Member Posts: 5
    I have an '08 Camry SE that came equipped with TOYO Proxes J33. In the Camry brochure, it stated that all -season tires were available as a no cost option. I ordered the car and requested the all-season rubber simply because I wanted the longer tread life. I was later informed by Toyota that, because of logistics, it may take as long as 6 MONTHS to get those tires. WTF? While I'm happy with the TOYO's, I'm not looking forward to replacing twice as often.
  • usfmarineusfmarine Member Posts: 7
    Does anybody know what the cash rebate/financing incentives will be after Jan 5, 09?

Trying to figure out if Jan 5 is the last opportunity to snag a 2009 LE with $1000 rebate or 0% financing. Thanks for any help.
    I doubt if they will be any worse as the economy hasn't inproved any and I doubt if toyota is selling cars like hotcakes. No one outside of upper Toyota officials know what they will offer next. Dealer may try to con you into buying now saying this is as good as it gets. Tell him to put that in writting and pay you the difference if the incentives do get better and see what he has to say.
  • usfmarineusfmarine Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, that's a good idea.
  • andie4andie4 Member Posts: 12
    I have had a lot of back problems since I got my 2009 Camry Hybrid. The seat feels like a metal rod is in the center and the fabric feels all bunched up in the seam at the back part of the seat. I have been back to the dealer with no real results. They said they adjusted the heater elements and trimmed the seam although there isn't any difference. I have a call in to Toyota Customer Care and am waiting to hear back from them. My seat is so uncomfortable that I am thinking I will have to sell the car just to get rid of my back ache. I feel like I am sitting on lemons!
  • Pagan1234Pagan1234 Member Posts: 14
    Yes. They have extended for 3 more days in baltimore,md. Its toyotathon so i think its nation wide.
  • john9362john9362 Member Posts: 2
    yes.....i got an se 4 cylinder attach is the quote they gave me

Here is the quote and information you have requested.

Model: 2009 Toyota Camry SE 4-cyl Automatic Transmission (White)
    MSRP.................... $24,209.00

Your Price..............$21,095.00
    Rebate..................
    Net Price...............$20,095.00

F CA California Emissions: In Certain Areas,
    F QB Sport Convenience Package: EC Rearview
    F RF Color-Keyed Rear Spoiler
    P CF Carpet/Trunk Mat Set
    The SE model looks awesome, but I didn't get because of the fixed rear seat backs, so be aware of this.
    I've got the flip down rear seats, have never used them in 3 years.........
    I've got the flip down rear seats, have never used them in 3 years (daily driver).........
  • ls09ls09 Member Posts: 6
    I'm interested in buying an '09 Camry (CE or LE AT) and have read many posts talking about the transmission problems around 40mph and the 3-4 second delay. Is this still a problem in the '09s? Should I be concerned? I'm about to buy my first new car and don't want to deal with transmission problems.
    I guess you don't carry large items in your car very often, Dave.

The flip-down seats are invaluable if you want to cart skis, shovels, lumber or any number of other household items around in your car.

When I bought my BMW (used) I wasn't disappointed about a single thing about it............EXCEPT that it didn't have fold-down rear seats.

I guess it's one of those things: when you need it...you REALLY want it!

Mike
    Below quote is directly, word for word, from the 2010 RX350 factory manual set.

"The TCM determines the gear that is to be selected when the accelerator pedal is released (released completely) in accordance with the way the accelerator pedal is released (quickly or slowly) during deceleration. In this way, unnecessary upshifts are prevented during deceleration, matching the driver's intentions. In addition, unintended downshifts are prevented when accelerating the vehicle again, achieving smooth acceleration."

So, unless you can learn to abide by the above rules as to how you "manage" the accelerator pedal the 1-2 second downshift delay will remain a potential problem.
  • exlerexler Member Posts: 129
    Take the car out for a good test drive--maybe one hour--on a slight hill under low acceleration at a constant 30 or 40 mph see if the engine lugs--you will feel a slight vibration (shudder) if the problem still exists. If not the problem has been taken care of in the new models. There is a service bulletin to take care of this in the 07-08's. No problems if you accelerate right through from 0-50 but only if if you hold it at constant 30 or 40 as stated above. I never had any 3-4 second delay problem in my 08--4--AT. I agree you do not want transmission problems in a new car.
  • ls09ls09 Member Posts: 6
    thank you that's very helpful!
    Please post your response if the 09 is better and you test drive an 09--I would like to know for future reference if Toyota has taken care of these problems. In my opinion I liked the 4-speed transmission better that was in my 02 Camry. Thanks.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The TSB's that have been out for a while have solved the problems of hesitation and the lugging, according to what I've read here and another Toyota only site. I can say from my experience with my '07 Camry that TSB 068-08 completely solved the hesitation problem, and this applies to both manual and automatics. The fix was just a simple 25 minute new software download (under warranty, of course.) The new Camrys being built after that TSB have the new software. The other problem did not affect me because I have a manual tranny, but I remember reading about it and the fact that there was a TSB issued for it also, so the new cars coming off the assembly line already have that correction. Bottom line - you won't have any problems.
    Unless one knows how to incur/cause the 1-2 second delay/hesitation it is likely not possible for a single test drive to prove, or disprove, that this problem still exists. Last fall I rented a new Camry to drive from Little Rock to Memphis and experimented with this "effect". It was only under VERY specific circumstances wherein I could cause the 1-2 second downshift delay/hesitation to "repeat".

During coastdowns from 40-30MPH, or 10-0MPH resulting from a simple lift throttle action, followed quickly by FIRM re-application of pressure to the gas pedal was the specific requirement, but even that was not predictably repeatable.

It was clear to me that most of the time these occurances would be, might be, totally unexpected, apparent happenstance.

My reading of post 698 regarding the upcoming 2010 RX350 indicates clearly that Toyota and Lexus transaxles still have this problem.

The statement infers that if the driver is aware in advance that a quick move to re-acceleration is probable the the driver can indicate so to the TCM via actions with the accelerator pedal. If you KNOW, in advance, that you will require QUICK acceleration immediately AFTER a short period of coastdown then the appropriate action is to RAPIDLY lift, FULLY lift, the accelerator pedal.

That specific action will indicate to the TCM that it is NOT to command a tranasaxle upshift as it would normally for a coastdown period. The procedure might require some practice but can be accomplished.

But...

That does not addess the times, situations, wherein the driver may not be aware of the "future".

So my advice would be to only purchase Toyota/Lexus FWD or F/awd vehicles with manual/sequential shift capability. Then, each and every time you enter a coastdown period simply downshift the transaxle manually(***) in preparation for the potential of the need for a quick re-acceleration action.

*** But never, NEVER downshift absent being sure, CERTAIN sure, of the road surface being highly TRACTIVE. "This" is a FWD and/or F/awd and so engine compression braking, even slight engine compression braking, due to a downshift can lead too quickly to loss of control and a serious accident.
    I can only duplicate in my vehicle what apparently is addressed by TSB-0069-08--that is the shudder-vibration issue. I have no problem with a hesitation--delay issue in my 08 automatic. If I give it a good throttle from 0-50mph there is no shudder-vibration problem--only if hold it steady in the 30-45 range--then it may lug--apparently looking for a lower gear ratio. Thanks for any other info.
    My '09 I4 AT with almost 8k has not had any of these problems. Toyota has addressed these issues. Does anyone know if higher-mileage units with this 5sp AT are having failures? There must be a few out there pushing 100k.
    Good question on the transmission. Also what type of mileage can I expect from my Bridgestone Turanza EL 400's in mainly city driving and not being a leadfoot?
  • auppal80auppal80 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for toyota ccamry 2009 LE in austin texas. What would be the best deal you think i can get? right now i have a deal for $20k including tax
  • zhengmzhengm Member Posts: 4
    I didn't notice any delay of the transmission around 40mph. I am a daily driver. The car has a mileage just above 1000. :)
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    hey, i have a loaded 2009 Camry SE 4 cylinder. I have not really been happy with the acceleration on it and I have looked into replacing it with either the Camry SE V6 or the Accord EX-L V6. Each one is about the same cash difference with my trade in. The cash difference would be $6000 about plus TTL. There is also one more thing. If I go back to the Camry should I consider the XLE V6 which gets you some extra goodies on it. However, I really would like to keep the dark charcoal leather interior that you cannot get on the XLE and only on the SE.
  • cpurduecpurdue Member Posts: 3
    I have an 09 Camry and the factory security has me locked out. It seems like a fuel cut off system and I cant start the car. It will turn over and run for a second than then kill, when I try to start it again it just turns over. This the second time it has happened and I got got it out of the mode once but am not entirely sure how. I also noticed that the security light on top of the dash is not flashing, nor was it the first time either. When I got it to start flashing is when it did start an run afterwards. Please help!! I have a ton of things to do today! :surprise:
    Try one of your other two keys.

That key you are using may need to be reprogrammed into the computer, but assuming you get it started okay with the 2nd key, take all 3 keys to the dealership with the car.
  • cpurduecpurdue Member Posts: 3
    I tried switching the keys around with no luck. I was thinking about it and one thing I think I did last time was just put the key in and turn it to the run position for a bit. Wondering if that may have brought it out of the cut off mode...
    well if all else fails, you may be calling the dealership to have them tow it in to fix....covered by warranty.
  • cmor1701dcmor1701d Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2009 Camry XLE. I have paired the car's blutooth to my iPhone, but now my work has insisted I carry a BlackBerry. Can I pair this phone and have both phones connected or do I have to choose between them?

Thanks!
    Does a tire dealer need to know or do special procedures when I replace the original tires with new tires, due to the factory installed tire pressure sensors?