Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Speedometer

dtiger71202dtiger71202 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2017 in GMC
My wife's 2005 Yukon has a problem with the speedometer. It comes to rest around 60MPH and it never goes back to zero. The odometer is still counting the miles, but it makes it hard to judge highway speed. Is this a difficult fix?

Comments

• pehowskipehowski Member Posts: 1
    This has been a recall on 2003 and 2004 for the same problem GMC is saying that it is not happening on 2005. However this just happen to my Yukon 2005 last month the repair cost is $644.00 but would be covered if I were a 2003 or 2004. Customer service said that if they extend it to 2005 I will be refunded. We need more people with this problem to call. To get refunds.

GMC customer service numeber is 800-462-8728.
  • hogislanderhogislander Member Posts: 2
    I had the exact same problem with the speedometer on my 2003 Tahoe. Since I have over 120K miles on it, I'm well outside of the extended warranty offer that GM has provided up to 70K miles. When I contacted the dealer, they wanted over $500 to fix the issue. The frustrating part is that according to the service manager at my dealership, this is a "very common issue" and the only way to fix it is to replace the entire instrument cluster panel. Naturally, I was pretty ticked off that this "common problem" was going to cost me a bunch of money and GM once again did not want to stand behind their product.

After some research on the net, I found that if you are comfortable with a basic removal of the instrument cluster panel (remove 1 piece of trim and 4 screws) and basic soldering, you can fix the problem for roughly $10. The problem is a faulty stepper motor which essentially controls the movement of the speedometer needle (and the other needles on your instrument cluster). It can be easily replaced.

I ordered the motor on eBay from a seller named "mandigital". I even called him at the phone number provided in the eBay listing to ensure that this would work and that I could, in fact, do the repair. I'm pretty sure even if you're not comfortable doing the repair, he will do it for you for a minimal charge.

Here's a link to the part: eBay Stepper Motor

I HIGHLY recommend giving this a shot before forking over the $$$ to GM to replace an entire panel where there is only a small single faulty part.
  • seagirtnewfsseagirtnewfs Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2004 Yukon XL Denali, and I as well have problems with my speedomoter. I have only owned it since March as we bought it used. I was in love with it and I take it to a GM Dealership everytime I need an oil change or need any work done on it. I don't scrimp on the service but my Yukon is having the same problem with the speedometer. I noticed it just being slightly off.. then it got worse and not it just hangs there pointing at the bottom. I went to the GM Dealership, not where it was bought, but the place I go all the time and they went through paperwork and checked on their computers and said yes there is a problem noted but becuase of my kilometers they could not help me. If this is a recall, kilometers should not matter. If the thing does not work and they know about it, they should fix it. Will calling GMC make any difference? I guess if there are enough people it will.. can I be lucky enough? I doubt it!!
  • brandi99brandi99 Member Posts: 1
    Hello! I also have a 2005 Yukon with the same speedometer problems, however mine does not stay stuck on a specific number it is all over the place. I purchased my pre-owned Yukon in November 2007. I took my car to the dealership where I bought it (Chevrolet) and was told this was a recall and they ordered a part. Well today when I took it in for repair, they called to advise me it was not a recall on the 05 model but only the 03 & 04 models. After exhausting every possible scenario I could to keep from paying the $450.00 charge, nothing worked. I have extended warranty insurance through Mercury Insurance Group but the Chevolet dealership will not accept it since I did not purchase it directly from them. URGH
    Anyway I called the 1-800 GMC number and made a claim. The lady that I spoke with is going to call the Chevrolet dealership to get the specific diagnosis. She said that she would try to get the repair approved under their (GMC) expense. I am not holding my breath that GMC will actually foot the bill for this, but if they do I will post back and let you know. Maybe enough people have notified them of this problem that they are considering a recall. I could only wish.
  • ryan19ryan19 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having that same problem and was wondering how yours turned out.
  • loneeyeloneeye Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a Denali XL and experienced the weird speedometer readings. The next day after starting up it worked fine. Filed claim with G.M.C. and was put on list if recall occurs. They said there are not enough claims to recall the speedometer.
  • heatmiser2heatmiser2 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an 04 Denali XL with 97000 miles on it. The speedometer was stuck at 90mph. I took it to my local dealership here in Seattle for my 90k tune up and asked about the speedometer. He said there was only coverage to 70k miles, but would ask his boss if they could do it for free seeing as I was spending about a grand on the tune up. He later called me and told me they would fix it for free. Maybe it pays to wait for a scheduled tuneup to fix it.
  • ced7ced7 Member Posts: 1
    My wife "caught" the same problem last night on her 2005. The speedometer is at 35 mph when sitting still and the odometer is working right. I had the very same issue on my 2004 Sierra last year. I had it fixed at the dealer out of my own pocket. A few months after this I got a recall notice about the issue and was refunded for my expenses. I guess we will pursue the fix and hope there is a recall on this for the 2005. Would like to know if there are any updates out there. My Siearra is working fine.
  • tiwsatiwsa Member Posts: 1
    My wife just called me and she said that her yukon's (yukon xl 2005) is stuck at 120 MPH. The odometer is still updating and appeared to be working. Any news if this issue is now a bonafide recall? Thanks..
    We have a 2004 Yukon Denali XL. We bought when it was 3 yrs old. Last year the speedometer starting acting up. We thought it was because of the cold and sure enough in the spring it worked again.. for a while. Then we started having problems with it again and then after I took it to the garage to have the compressor replaced for the air shocks and replaced a sending unit for the gas tank and spending almost $1500 I realized then that my gas guage was not reading correctly.

I am a Mom with two kids and my husband works out of town so I am the one who is driving the kids here and there.. and if they are not with me I am alone. The speedometer is a pain and annoying because so many people have had this problem with the same vehicle.. but now I don't know when I am on empty or not? This is worrisome and dangerous!! I have to set my trip meter, thank God that still works, and gauge how far I can drive on $40.00 or so many litres of gas. Not good!!

Recall? I sure hope so.. and soon!
    I went to my local GM garage and they checked to see if the speedometer was on recall and they said yes but then said.. oh but that I had too many kilometres on my truck. If it's a recall it should be a recall no matter what.. no matter how many kilometres you have on your vehicle. Frustrating!!!
  • country1998country1998 Member Posts: 1
    There is a video in two parts on youtube re removing the instrument panel (speedometer) from an 03-05 GM product. Search under "country1998a".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u51-HTpweI
  • golfman34golfman34 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Denali speedometer works or does not, and sometimes displays the wrong speed. Has GMC have a recall for speedometer?? also problem started after battery was replaced. Could this be the problem??
  • nitro_muddernitro_mudder Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    Been having a problem with my speedometer dropping out at highway speeds on my '05. Called GMC 1-800-462-8782 and talked to them today. Over 70k miles it might end up getting covered eventually. They wanted me to go to the dealership to have it checked out. I already took it to another service place (non-Dealer) today to have them tell me it was what I told them it was. That and the information that it was not covered by my extended Warranty through PREFERED AUTO Warranty was all I got for my $77 charge. Was very pissed off that PREFERED did not tell me it would not be covered when I stated the what part was bad. Instead they told me the one place in town that was cheap enough to do work for them, North Wells Auto Service in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Found the motor on E-bay for $10, going to try that route before I pay anyone to big $$$ to change the panel by pulling 4 screws. Call the 800# to let them know you have an issue so they make this a recall.
  • rjnaustinrjnaustin Member Posts: 1
    i purchased a pre-owned 2005 denali 4 years ago and have had so many issues with vehicle than any other vehicle ever owned. Starting with headlight bulbs burning out about every month, gps not able to read disc or not turning on, rear door cargo glass constantly breaking at the hinges, radio only works for about 5 minutes right after you start the vehicle, i could go on and on, but, i could not fit in this message. This message to anyone experiencing a speedometer that for no apparent reason, will display a reading that appears to be decreasing in speed, but i could be traveling at 70 mph. i have had this problem for some time now, and can't figure out any pattern when it starts to malfunction, different speeds, temperature changes, etc. it started this shortly after the warranty expired and works fine just before i plan to take it in. anyone with a simple solution??????
  • wbradfordwbradford Member Posts: 1
    I have the same speedometer problem with my 2004 gmc XL is there a dealer recall for this problem?
    There was a recall on the instrument cluster a couple of years ago. We got it fixed with no charge.. however I was hoping it would also fix my problem that I have with my fuel gauge. Unfortunately the instrument cluster has nothing to do with that. Its the sending unit in the tank.. and the crappiest thing about that is that this is our second GMC vehicle with that problem. It's a pain in the butt and I have heard this is a common problem with GMC trucks but so far no recall.. and there probably won't ever be one. Thank God for trip meters!! :D
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    wbradford,
    If you would send me your VIN I can look into recalls for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • russswiftrussswift Member Posts: 2
    Just bought an 05 with 98K, when delivered the speedo did not work, same problem as original post, dealer paid to replace, $409.00. :)
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I am glad to hear that your speedometer concern has been resolved, russswift. Many more happy miles!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • izrubyizruby Member Posts: 1
    Is there a recall for 2003 yukon xl? We keep having the same problem with the speedometer.
    Good morning,
    At this time I am not seeing any general recalls pertaining to the speedometer. However, we can look further into this with our database to see if there may be any other information available for you; please send us the last 8 digits of your VIN in an email.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • paperg320paperg320 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with my 2005 GMC Yukon XL, purchased from CarMax about 2.5 years ago. The speedometer (analog version) slowly goes from higher speed down to zero - I have noted this happens when the dashboard is under higher temperatures, either due to us having the heat/defrost on during cold weather on extended trips, or during high heat days in the summer. Last 8 digits of our VIN are 5J133597. I would appreciate knowing if this would be covered under any kind of recall effort. It appears this is a widespread issue.
    Thank you for getting in touch with your VIN, paperg320. I ran it through our system and at this time there are no open recalls. However, your vehicle does have a special coverage on the instrument panel gauge which is set to expire on 3/12/2012 or 80,015 miles, whichever comes first.

Per the Special Coverage, I would encourage you to contact your dealership to arrange an appointment (have your VIN and current mileage ready). Please keep us updated on your progress with this!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dlcooper75dlcooper75 Member Posts: 1
    The speed odometer works some day and then it quits working. Is this under any tyoe of warranty or recall. The last 8 digits of my VIN are 5R189102.

Thanks,
  • alekniahleealekniahlee Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 yukon xl and the speedometer is not working, it says i'm going 120 mph when I'm at a red light. My last 8 of my vin are 3J339881. Is there any type of warranty or recall ? Thank you and have a nice one.
    dlcooper75,

Your VIN is showing that you also have the same Special Coverage I posted about previously. On your vehicle, it will expire on 05/31/2012 or 80,254 MI , whichever comes first.

Per the Special Coverage, I would encourage you to contact your dealership to arrange an appointment (have your VIN and current mileage ready). Please keep us updated on your progress with this, and if we can be of further assistance we're only an email away.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    alekniahlee,

While your vehicle did have the Special Coverage, it expired on 11/08/2010, or at 80,112 MI, whichever came first. If we can explore any available options with you, please send us an email with more information, including your name/Edmunds username, contact information (phone and address please), the last 8 of your VIN again (it can be difficult to link posts to emails) and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lwarnerlwarner Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 GMC Sierra HD. How do I find out if my truck has the special coverage for the much talked about speedometer problem? VIN(last 8) 4E268429
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    lwarner,
    I am able to look that information up for you. Our warranty system is down until Monday for updates. Please email me with your VIN and current mileage and I will look into this for you. Enjoy your weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • dwgutwirdwgutwir Member Posts: 132
    I did a search tonight because of a speedometer problem with my '05 XL Denali.

While driving over the weekend the speedometer suddenly ready 110 mph (at highway speed and kept going beyond the 120 mph maximum speed.

The needle is currently pointing at about 50mph (the truck has been shut off for over 24 hours.

Christina of GM Customer Service can you do a search on my VIN and see if there are any options for me? Last 8 digits are 5J144450. Thank you!!
  • lgretillatlgretillat Member Posts: 4
    I have just noticed the speedometer on my 2005 Yukon is stuck at a speed higher than zero when the vehicle is off and then the speed is off by that amount. I can start/turn off the truck multiple times and it will get back to zero but would like a solution for something that should be a basic component of the vehicle and last the life of the truck.
    It looks like that special coverage on your vehicle expired last year on 05/13/2011, or at 80,443 MI, whichever came first. If we can answer any further questions, please send us an email at the address in my profile.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I don't know why i got this response since it was not my original thread.

If this is the response to my speedometer issue I would like to talk to someone regarding why GM puts something electronic on the vehicle that should last its lifetime and expect the consumer to pay for its failure when they did nothing wrong and normal wear and tear should apply.

Please let me know who can help me resolve this issue since I am noticably upset over this.

Thanks!

Lon
    I'm sorry - I was going in to check your as well and our system is being difficult. I will have an answer for you as soon as I can.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Good morning Lon,
    Thank you for posting; that response was to a different user, but we'd be happy to look further into the speedometer situation with you. Please send us an email to the address located in my Edmunds profile including the last 8 digits of your VIN, your name, and your Edmunds username.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    It looks like the special coverage on this issue expired on 10/23/2011 or 80,004 MI, whichever came first. I'm sorry - I realize that this isn't the best of news. If you would like to get in touch to discuss things further, please contact us at the email provided in my Edmunds profile.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lwarnerlwarner Member Posts: 2
    SPEEDOMETER TROUBLES '04 GMC 2500HD VIN:1GTHK29U84E268429 55,300 MILES
  • jkeenangajkeenanga Member Posts: 1
    Driving into work today, I noticed that my speed seemed really high for the actual speed I was running at. I was doing about 30 and it said 50.
    When I got into work, the needle was stuck at 30....and now its stuck.
    Please advise on whether this is a recall, and what I can do to address it. Seems like a problem that's happening a lot based on the posts.
    Thanks,
    JK
    Good afternoon,
    We would be happy to see if there is a special coverage or open recall on your vehicle. Please send us an email at the address in my profile here on Edmunds with your name/Edmunds username and the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dalderdalder Member Posts: 1
    Speedometer reads 20 MPH when standing still. Going 30, reads 50. Will this affect odometer?
  • gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    Why isn't this recurrent speedometer issue being listed as a full on recall?!?!?! I had the same problem approx. 4 years ago and it was covered under warranty. I told the dealer my problem, inaccurate readings at speed, anytime I went over 60 it would steadily fall to 0 and only reset after I shut vehicle off for 1 hour. He told me exactly what the problem was without any diagnostics because so many of the Yukon, Yukon XL and Denali's from 2003-2005 were having this problem. I had my gauge cluster replaced and 4 years later it works great and has never given me a problem.

A documented issue known to be widespread should be covered or recalled...this could be a safety issue for some people in my opinion.
  • sherilynnsherilynn Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has this same problem with her speedometer. She bought the car used from a GMC dealer.

When the problem started, she took it to the dealer and was told that there had been a recall on it but her mileage was too high now. She was NOT told about the recall when she purchased the vehicle from the dealer and did not receive any notice from GMC because it had gone to the dealership. At the time she purchased the car the mileage was under the limit for the recall.
    Hello sherilynn,

We can check into the vehicle's recall and warranty information if you wanted to get us the last 8 digits of the VIN; we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jttimmonsjttimmons Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    I have the same speedometer problem mentioned among many others disappointed GMC Yukon owners. When I contacted the dealer where I bought my vehicle, they quoted me $410.00 to replace the speedometer with a "Remaned Cluster". Another GMC dealer told me the part cost them $200.00, and with labor & reprogramming the new one an additional $210.00. This seems very expensive for a customer to have to spend even if they are are outside their warranty and a speedometer is such an important instrument in your vehicle.
    Where else can a GMC owner go to get help with such an important issue and get some reasonable satisfaction with this issue? Any help would be appreciated. I have 199,600 miles on my YUKON and keep good service, tires, oil changes, transmission service, etc... but something like this is disappointing. I called GMC Customer Service and filed a complaint #71-1065424534 . My Yukon 2004 VIN#3GKFK16204G316486 miles 199,600.
    I hope to receive some kind of Assistance from GMC in this matter due to it's severity while someone is driving a GMC vehicle and the fact that it's happened with several GM vehicles.
    Thanks for all the help.
  • dcpsu1992dcpsu1992 Member Posts: 1
    I see there are a lot of issues with the Yukon Speedometers, glad and sad that I am not the only one. I have a 2005 Yukon XL SLT, VIN# 1GKFK16ZX5J198091, current miles are 57,121. My Yukon was purchased new from Quality GMC in Albuquerque on 7/19/2005. As the weather got cold around Christmas last year, my speedometer stuck at the bottom of the gauge. Over time it went got stuck over the place except the speed I was driving. I know that there was a recall for these in '03, '04 and it appears some '05. Can anyone tell me if there is any recall available for this issue for my vehicle. I now live in San Diego and would like to get this issue fixed.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Your current miles may get yours taken care of so go into the dealership and ask them about it. Mine was over 80K so it didn't apply. I did push it up the chain at GMC and got in touch with the customer satisfaction group and they ended up paying for the part - an entire new dash cluster ($450 I think) and I was only responsible for the labor - one hour at the dealership. I was sitll a little upset that I had to pay fr anything since a speedometer was just strange, but it worked out.

Good Luck!
    Good afternoon,

I checked your VIN and did not see the special coverage on your vehicle; however, if we can look into this further with you please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. My coworker Christina, who answers incoming emails from the forum, will assist you further.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jr28jr28 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same exact issue- very frustrating to see that GM seems to not be taking responsibility for fixing for the issue. Mine seems to get stuck occasionally and then it will go back to "normal." is that what most others have experienced? should I have it fixed?
    Good morning jr28,

Sorry to hear that you're also experiencing some difficulties with your speedometer. While I cannot guarantee what the results would be up front, if we can look into this further with you please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service