Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Maintenance and Repair

capt2capt2 Member Posts: 57
I have a 2000 SR5 Ext cab 4wd with 83k miles. One o2 sensor changed under warranty and changed the front brakes to slotted rotors...other than that trouble free! Planning on the big 90k service and changing the timing belt (dealer says to also change the water pump??) and I see that a fuel filter change is not on the to-do list of the 90k. Where exactly is the fuel filter and should it be changed as pm? Thanks.

Comments

• caribemancaribeman Member Posts: 3
    I change my oil outside the dealer and the light came on after 4500 miles I know there is a reset code through the radio, Dealer wants me to come in so they can charge me for it. What is the code?
  • tank5tank5 Member Posts: 10
    Hi;
    I called the service dept. as I didn't see the mileage for the fuel filter . The teck said that their was not to be changed! The pump is in the tank and no filter in the lines.

Franko
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
  • otto8otto8 Member Posts: 116
    Toyota Announces Safety Recall On Selected Tundra Pickup Trucks
    12/14/2007 Torrance, CA
    Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., will launch a safety recall with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) on certain 2007 model year Tundra four-wheel-drive pickup trucks. The campaign will involve approximately 15,600 units in the U.S. and does not involve any accidents or injures.

On certain 2007 model year Tundra vehicles, there is a possibility that a joint in the rear propeller shaft may have been improperly heat treated, resulting in insufficient hardness. In the worst case, a section of the rear propeller shaft may separate at the joint. There has been one case reported among all affected vehicles that may relate to this condition. The one case involved abnormal noise and did not involve an accident.
  • gatemstr01gatemstr01 Member Posts: 2
    My 2008 Tunda CrewMax owners manual calls for a 5W-20W or 0W-20W oil only. This weight is a synthetic blend. I bought a service contract. I was inquiring at the dealer as to which weight was put in at the factory and the service tech said they only use standard 10W-30W at this dealership. I told him he is only putting in what the owners manual calls for and whats already in the engine,and he said they don't carry that oil and if thats the oil I wanted I would have to pay more for it since they only allow him so much money for the oil change service. Bull. I'm not done with them yet. Any input?
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Go by the manual. Don't let the dealer away with not installing the correct oil. Any dealer that uses the excuse that it costs him too much money to carry more than one grade of oil isn't much of a dealer. I had this occurrence with a Buick Park Avenue. The dealer was only using bulk oil and not of the grade the car required. They finally went to a Chevy dealer and bought 5 liters of the proper oil for the Buick. While I was waiting I watched the service staff put the same grade in everything that came through the door. Heavy duty diesel pickups as well.

Dealers love to cut corners. Bulk oil in one grade only, is convenient and less expensive for the dealer. The customer suffers.
  • vmerrillvmerrill Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

Our 2006 Tundra has had a serious issue with a squealing noise from the frontend--I believe it is coming from the fan. We've taken it to the dealer 3 times to have it fixed and each time they replace a "belt assembly", and it will fix the squeal noise for about 2 hours. This has basically been doing this since we have bought it, and I am getting frustrated with it--since each time we've taken it back to be fixed...NADA. This truck literally has 11,000 miles on it and we never tow with it at all. We do live in North Dakota, so it is extremely cold, but it makes this noise in the summer as well.

Is anyone else having a really LOUD squeal coming from the front end, perhaps around the fan? :confuse:
  • gatemstr01gatemstr01 Member Posts: 2
    An update from my initial post on the oil requirememts for the 2008 Tundra 5.7L engine. I contacted Toyota and was told 0W-20W synthetic oil was used at the factory and is the recommended oil. I will be taking the e-mails to the dealer. They also stated if petroleum based oil is used you can't go back to synthetic. Also the stated oil requirements are right on the oil filler cap. And the service manager never heard of that requirement? I pulled up the 2007 owners manual and the same oil requirements were listed. What have they been putting in the 2007 5.7L's that they serviced? Ummm.
  • rls3rls3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Tundra SR5. My keyless entry has stopped making the beep and beep/beep when I lock and unlock doors. The doors are locked and the lights flash. Is there a quick fix or could it be a fuse problem? Would like to get it working again. Thanks
  • lgdlgd Member Posts: 1
    The drive shaft came apart from rear axle on my 2008 Toyota Tundra 4 x 4 while driving 75 mph on interstate. Has anyone had this kind of problem?
  • aalsherriaalsherri Member Posts: 68
    Toyota told their customers for sometime that using synthetic oil is just a waste of money. Now they are filling their trucks with a very light synthetic oil !!! Unbelievable.
    10W30 synthetic is considered a light oil and I see no difference between it and 0W20. When it comes to synthetic oils, the difference is viscosity is not very important. Use anything less than 10W40 and you will be fine. For conventional oils, any thing less than 10W30 is fine as long as the temperature is not too hot. In hot regions, 10W40 or 20W50 is recommended. Light oils leave the engine clean over time and therefore, I highly recommend using fully synthetic oil. Any brand synthetic oil should serve better than the best brand conventional oil. Wal-Mart sells a cheap synthetic oil but it is so good. I use it and also I use Mobile 1 10W30 for two different cars.
  • brendalreedbrendalreed Member Posts: 1
    How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2008 Tunda? What tools are needed? We need an answer ASAP, Please!
  • lpppalmmlpppalmm Member Posts: 2
    NEVER put 10w-40 or (gawd) 20W-50 in anything less than 25 years old!The oil clearences on newer engines are tighter than they ever were.Those oils are like molassis and can't get to moving parts fast enough.Plus,they kill your fuel milage.Put in what the OWNERS MANUAL,not the dealer,recommends.The dealer does not care about anything but the next dollar.I hate to even go in for warranty work.

I've been an auto technician for 30 years.
  • lpppalmmlpppalmm Member Posts: 2
    If your truck is like my 2002,the fuel filter is under the truck on the drivers side along the fraim rail.I replace mine every 30000 miles.It's funny that Toyota has a service interval for adjusting the valves (I can see the average person buying an assortment of valve shims and taking there heads apart!) but they don't have one for the fuel filter.This filter doesn't look like anythong special so I can't understand why it wouldn't have to be replaced.The first time,I installed a Toyota filter,the second,a Purolator.They're easy to find.They're a little tricky to remove because Toyota didn't install a flexible line going to the filter,so there are 2 hard lines pressing tightly at both ends.I've found if you remove one of the lines from the plastic retainer,and, with a little muscle,you can angle the filter and release the lines.
  • bdarsey1bdarsey1 Member Posts: 1
    Yes I think I might be having a similar problem. I was doing about 60 MPH on the Parkway with the cruise control on, and out of no where my vehicle started shaking, and I almost could not get it stopped. I had it towed into Toyota, they they have told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I can still drive it, but it will do this on and off now. I have noticed at 30 MPH that I have a constant vibration now. Mine is a 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Cab 4X4. I will be taking it back in soon to get them to look at it again. Can you please describe what happened to yours.
  • benwimpbenwimp Member Posts: 1
    To properly change the transmission fluid in any modern day automatic you need to use a transmission flush machine which hooks into the transmission cooler lines and flushes all old fluid out and replaces with new. You can go to the dealership for this service but can also have it done at an independent shop or quick lube for around $120. JUST MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE MAINTENCE INTERVALS.
  • syldrynsyldryn Member Posts: 1
    my dad has this truck and has had a problem recently of the truck failing to accelerate, pushes the pedal, nothing happens. the truck just idols. if he stops and puts it in park, shuts off the engine, then restarts, the problem goes away. he thinks the cruise control might have something to do with it since everytime it has happened it has been after using the cruise. he took it to dealer a couple times for check engine light, first time they couldnt find anything wrong, problem with accelerator happened again. now they want to charge him $1300 bucks for a part and they have never heard of the problem, never sold the $1300 part. has anyone heard of or experienced this problem?
  • harringtonwayharringtonway Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab and when ever I back out of a parking space and then put it into drive and start to drive - it almost immediately makes a single clunk noise underneath. I have taken it into the dealership twice - the first time they said they could not hear it but it got worse so I took it in again and they said that the noise was normal. Has anyone else heard a similar noise coming from under their Tundra? Is this truly normal? Thanks, harringtonway
  • tymtotrntymtotrn Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra Crew Max with 10,000 miles on it, and when ever I back out of the driveway and shift into drive I hear the same noise that (HARRINGTONWAY) hears. A loud clunk. Just for your info I just got back from the dealer about 6 hours ago. They drove the truck and shifted in reverse and drive. They told me that they didnt hear any noise. I am not sure what to believe. But I can say that I didnt here any noise like this when I bought it. Not sure what to do. I was told by technician that the drive train on the Tundra is built with slack in it, to allow movement during hill or bumpy surface driving..Let me know if you here anything different. Thanks.
  • a8fana8fan Member Posts: 17
    I have a new 2008 5.7 offroad 4wd and I hear the clunk too.

I think that there is some sort of built in governor due to the heavy tow payload which prevents it from peeling off when you step on the gas. The clunk is sort of a delay when putting it into gear.

When is the first service due on a new truck? Mine are included but I can't find it in the literature.

I have exactly 1700 miles on it now.
  • cajohn54cajohn54 Member Posts: 14
    the door stop on my under warranty tundra broke dealer says not covered under warranty toyota says to treat the tundra tenderly and the door stop not covered per the dealer
    the door stop on my under warranty 07 regular cab broke and they are not covering under warranty.

initially i had a vibration at 15 and 25 mph and took it in said they replaced a transmission converter

the drive train in general seems to be very temper mental on my 07 5.7l auto with occasional jerks, bangs, clunks, and generally crappy transmission of power to the ground
    I am not pleased with what seems to be ocassional transmission clunking type noises in my 08. It seems like there is slippage inside the transmission, because sometimes the truck shifts very awkwardly. Toyota in El Paso TEXAS says nothing is wrong, as they drove it and found nothing(of course).. Dont know what to do. Any comments welcome.................
  • albamarlealbamarle Member Posts: 23
    maybe this is intimidation from the dealer to you, and they are waiting to see if you take it to another level in terms of seeking just compensation, fixing the defective (plastic??)
    I own a 2008 Tundra 5.7 4WD double cab.

I notice that sometimes I can't get it to accelerate. It either feels 'stuck' or it herky jerks forward.

Another time, it popped out of D into N after some slippage on the ice.

This is happening when I am messing with the 4hi-4lo stuff.

Please advise if I am doing it right:

My understanding is to go slowly ahead and turn to 4hi, but then to get to 4lo, I need to stop and put it on neutral.

It also needs to be in 4hi first, before you can take it to 4lo which was not the case with my 2000.

But this transmission thing is so weird.

I have not gone back yet for the 5,000 service, only have less than 3,000 on it and have a 7 year paid warranty.

PS - I need to keep it in 4hi at times just to get up and down my driveway... which never melts even if the street is dry. But I don't ever drive with it in 4W unless the roads are snowy.
  • xplor8xplor8 Member Posts: 1
    Did you get a fix for this? My 07 has now twice started to shimmy violently on the freeway at 70 mph. The incidents happend about a week apart with no warning. It is so intermittent that I doubt the service department could help...

Anyone else have this problem? :confuse:
    what is progress of toyota fixing the problem with your truck?
    it is within warranty? did you purchase with EL PASO, maybe you can list
    name of dealership so that others can be forewarned if they are not seeking
    corrective action. What do you Tow with your Truck

have you had third party transmission shop examine the situation?

what truck do you have? how many miles? I am considering purchasing
    toyota and would like to know more about this to make educated decision.

whether or not to go ahead and complete sale. What other trucks would
    you purchase if you had other choices? what do you see EL PASO doing
    to make good on warranty?
    what is happening with your 2007 Tundra, has dealership fixed this problem,
    provided plan A or plan B for resolution, what do you tow, how many miles what load? is yours 5.7L or smaller V8 4x4 or any other characteristics for identification,

I am looking at purchasing Tundra and would like to know all the things to stay away from in the event there is problem, before purchase.

what other trucks would suggest besides Toyota? If you were to purchase one today.

Who is your dealership and what are they doing about fixing this problem with Tundra?
    what other descriptors for your truck package SR5 LTD, GRADE, 5.7L or small V8?

who is your dealership ? what is being done to resolve situation?
    would you recommend dealership? what other truck would you suggest besides
    Toyota with this experience in mind?

What were you towing? how many miles? what was the Load towed?

what did Toyota do about it?
    recently experienced problem with tranny flush,

,dealership didnt fill transfer case with fluid,,

seized took transfer case and tranny out>tranny shop local said transfer case bone dry>should have been watching the man down below,,

asking for second check , how they do it,,process and all
    is this 5.7L or small V8 ,,towing package?
    how many miles do you have on it,,

what did they examine first time ,,,with results?
    what is diagnostic that third party trans shop has recommended checking?

what is name of dealership,city location?
    are they doing good job on standing behind warranty?

would you purchase toyota again? if not what other truck would you be looking at?

have you been towing load,,how much , how many miles?

what is progress tell ? time miles?
    i just encountered the big clunk but it happened after a sudden deceleration and just before getting back on the power to make the turn, there was just revving and then the clunk like i had been rear ended, any more problems with yours? thanks
    Now I too am finding problems especially after carefully switching to 4HI.

I often have to do this to get back up my driveway after the plow has been there.

So I head down the street and around 20 MPH I swap to 4HI as I should..

But when I go to turn around in the next street opening, just turning the wheel brings me to a halt!!!

I can't understand it.

This is a 2008 5.7 Tundra SR5 TRD with less than 3,000 miles on it.

It's going in for its first service next week and I'm going to talk about this to them at that time.

I also am not sure how you get yourself into 4LO which I need to get out of snowbanks when the plow leaves me there....

4HI doesn't cut it.
    hey cajohn54 ,, my 2008 5.7 tundra does that same clunk almost ALL THE TIME. I took it in and they told me that the transmission is designed with slack in it. That is the clunk you hear. It almost sounds like the transmission is slipping. It is normal, from what I was told. Annoying as it is, I have learned to live with it. I guess this is the down side to a motor that puts out a tremendous amount of torque. WHAT MAKES ME WONDER THE MOST, IS THAT IT NEVER DID THAT CLUNK NOISE WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT IT, IT STARTED MAKING THIS NOISE AT AROUND 5,000 MILES... good luck
    this is not normal and is dangerous, it is like a hesitation in acceleration that is inconsistent, i would not want it happening when crossing a busy street, so i am documenting these per my attorney. thanks and remember per toyota treat tundra tenderly!
  • kd7oqckd7oqc Member Posts: 8
    I have an 08 Double Cab 2wd with the 4.7 / 5speed auto. I've noticed the clunk too. It only happens intermittently. I am not sure that it is a transmission problem. It may be related to the stability control system pressurizing or something like that. There is a separate sound that I hear 100% of the time, and that is the ABS pressurizing. I hear a high pitch whine, then about 50 yards from my parking space I hear a clunk and the whine goes away. This sound is the ABS. If you get on a muddy road and hit the brakes, you'll hear the ABS activate and repressurize itself. (My 2000 Nissan Frontier 4wd had a similar sound when the ABS activated. I became very familiar with it off roading.)

I've got 13k miles on the truck and it runs and shifts fine, so I am not terribly worried about it. If I find out something definite, I'll post it here.

If you are really worried about it in the long run, and you don't have very many miles on your truck yet, you might try buying an extended warranty from your insurance company. Geico charges me about $5 a month for a 7 year / 100,000 mi warranty with a $250 deductible. I'll probably never need it but ...
    I do have the extended warranty and prepaid service...which was cheaper, for 5 years. But I don't want to break down.

It's going in for its 5,000 even tho it's barely 3,000 but it's been 5 months now.
  • plworkingplworking Member Posts: 1
    I removed the battery on my toyota tundra 2004 with 4.7 V8 for several hours while I did some work on my snowplow. Now it will crank but not start.
    Do I need to reprogram a security key or something?
    Is there some security immobilizer on this vehicle?

Help, I need the truck. Note, all I have is a plain key with no chip on it that I can see.
  • normhnormh Member Posts: 30
    I'm a new Tundra owner ('06 Double Cab Ltd.) and I noticed that that 2 of the 3 homelink buttons are not illuminated when I turn my lights on. Can anyone help with bulb replacement?

Thanks,

Norm...
  • frankno2ufrankno2u Member Posts: 1
  • normhnormh Member Posts: 30
    Don't worry about replying to this post; I figured it out myself after getting a bulb part # and tip off of a Tundra Solutions web post. Remove the 2 screws in the sunglass storage bin and pull that whole assembly straight down. You can then easily remove and replace the bulbs with a small screwdriver. The Toyota part # is 90011-11038 for the bulb.

Norm....
  • osellrosellr Member Posts: 6
    I just bought an 08 tundra crew cab recently and I was wondering what any of you guys recommend when it comes to synthetic motor oil. Thanks for your help.

- Reed
    I have 22,000 miles on my 08 5.7 Tundra crew max, and have had every single oil change done using CASTROL FULL SYNTHETIC 5/20.. Usually change it every 4,000. Could probably make it to 5,000. I recommend it for your tundra.
  • osellrosellr Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for your help, I will
    keep that in mind next time I change my oil
  • phillipgophillipgo Member Posts: 2
    I have this noise sometimes, and you can buy a spray, and spray the belt. That should take care of it.
  • jeff618jeff618 Member Posts: 29
    I tried something new - they're called Trico Tech Beam Blades (I guess they came out in oct or nov 09) and they fit the Toyota Tundra. I've been a Trico NeoForm guy for a while, but I tried the new Techs because they have a new mounting system that allows the wiper arm to sit slightly lower than in the past. The Techs are beefy as hell and look great with the new, lower side mount. They came with complete removal and installation instructions - very easy. Got them online. I like to change the entire wiper blade vs. just changing the rubber blade refills because of the abuse the ice and snow put them through - I figure better safe than sorry (plus much less hassel than dealing with those refills).
    Hey guys, what about these recalls??? :-(

Thanks for the info on the wipers.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    We've set up a discussion expressly for the Toyota recalls:

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host