Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey Fuel System

medicman1medicman1 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Honda
My wife and I bought an '07 ex-l about 1 month ago, and I noticed when I fill up from empty, only about 16 gallons goes in. If the van is supposed to have a 21 gallon tank, 5 gallons seems like a lot of room to drive when the needle is on E, and the gas light is on. Does anybody elase have this problem??

Comments

• Options
    wmg1wmg1 Member Posts: 3
    I also thought we had a fuel gauge problem. We bought a '07 EX-L a month ago and I have had 2 "problems". First of all, I was told by our salesman that it was a 22 gallon tank, then read in the manual that it was "approximately 21 gallon" tank. Well, I drove it EMPTY to see how much gas I could get in it. Only 19.9 gallons!
    Secondly, we only got 14.75 miles/gallon the first tank, and 15.1 miles/gallon the second tank of gas. Pathetic! I am furious. I drove only 295 miles on the full tank before RUNNING OUT OF GAS. So, when the light goes on- better fill up- you have only 30 miles left!
  • Options
    We have a new '07 Odyssey EX-L which we have put ~1,000 miles on. We have only gotten 14 -15 miles/gallon. What's up? What kind of gas mileage are others getting??
  • Options
    capizzocapizzo Member Posts: 6
    SAME HERE!!! MPG'S ARE HORRENDOUS TO SAY THE LEAST!
    IT MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE NEW AND "IMPROVED?" GRADE-LOGIC TRANSMISSION AND THE DRIVE-BY-WIRE ACCELERATOR!
    I SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE 2004 LX!! THAT WAS GETTING THE TRUE 19/25 MPG POSTED ON THE STICKER AND IT WAS A SMOOTHER SHIFT AND ACCELERATION!!
    SOUNDS LIKE A CLASS-ACTION IS NEEDED!
  • Options
    swissguyswissguy Member Posts: 1
    Not sure why you are getting such poor mileage. Is this just around town driving. We get around 16 to 17 mpg in the city and have gotten as high as 26 on the highway but normally around 24.5. This is better than the Chrysler Town and Country we previously had. Mini vans traditionally do not get good gas mileage and thats not exactly what you buy them for.
  • Options
    I agree....I hate the feel of the transmission, and it has to be the reason for the poor gas mileage. It downshifts and slows you down as soon as you let off the accelerator. You can't even coast down a hill! No wonder the gas mileage is REDUCED on the new models. I got 20 miles/gal every single tank on my Oldsmobile Silouette for mostly city driving. I think it's a crime that I only get that on pure highway driving with my brand new Odessey.

I got no where talking to the salesman who sold me the van. I'm calling Honda to complain- everyone else should, too.
  • Options
    gschradegschrade Member Posts: 2
    I have a new battery and the starter is cranking but I am having intermittent problems starting my Odyssey. I assume this is a fuel problem. First, does anyone know of any known issues? Also, is there a fuel filter? If so, does anyone know where it is located?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    gschradegschrade Member Posts: 2
    I answer my own post for documentation purposes. Keys for the 2002 Honda Odyssey (and probably many other vehicles) have a computer chip in it that "knows" what vehicle it is starting. If you do not use that key, it will not start. Not knowing this, we went to Wal Mart and got an extra key made. Needless to say, it would not start. The Honda dealership apprised us of this information and, of course, we have no more problems starting the vehicle.

To answer other questions in my post, the 2002 Honda Odyssey (and again, probably other Honda vehicles) does not have a fuel filter. It only has a screen in the gas tank. The fuel pump is also located in the gas tank.
  • Options
    optics57optics57 Member Posts: 1
    We bought a Honda Odyssey EX about three months ago - and we have the same fuel guage problem. I was not accustomed to having the needle go down so fast after fill-up. Also, I have filled it from when the light was on - it was about 17 gallons. Gas mileage was about 20 city/highway recently, although must say got about 24-25 on highway during a trip over Thanksgiving.
  • Options
    giddyrobingiddyrobin Member Posts: 1
    We have had fuel issues too. Our driveway is on an angle, (not bad at all really),
    and when the car was a month old, the fuel light had not even come on yet and it wouldnt' start. Got the car towed and they said the light came on at the dealer and the car started and that I just needed gas.
    No charge but still what a hassle.

Again today we went to start car, not starting, the fuel light was on (I never saw it come on) this time and it wouldn't start. So far 2 trips with a one gallon tank hasn't gotten it started. The car's too heavy to push to a level surface.
    The tank must be in the back, but still this is crazy. I am calling Honda corporate on Monday.
  • Options
    woodchuckiewoodchuckie Member Posts: 8
    link title Check this out about the fuel filter.
  • Options
    smirza2000smirza2000 Member Posts: 9
    we bought our Honda in March of 2008. Within a week started hearing sounds, took the van to the dealer and he said that the struts are bad and should be replaced. Scheduled for strut replacement, dealer changed struts and then said well you are missing 2 bolts on the rods that attach the frame to the body and you cannot drive the van, it is dangerous. So the van stayed at the dealership for another 5 days and the bolts were fixed. Now, we have experienced it several times that our 4 year old's child seat keeps on flipping on the 3rd row seat when we turn the van to left or right at 35-40 miles an hour on the highway etc. It has fallen with the kid twice and I am thinking that may be the BELT is not locking which keeps on making the car seat flip. I am getting these messages from teh Honda cust service because I wrote them a nasty gram but have not been able to talk with them and now this car seat issue is driving us crazy.
    Anyone out there experienced same issues? :cry:
This discussion has been closed.