Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Tribute Transmission Problems

13»

Comments

• Options
    darook24darook24 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2005 Tibute and have not had any major problems with it. I had to have the battery jumped this past weekend and decided to replace it (it was the original). Upon changing the battery and an oil change I noticed that my tribute now revs/jumps/jerks (call it what you want) around 30 MPH...only on accelaration not when I slow down. It revs up about 1000 RPMS and just a fast goes right back down, so there is no change in my speed or any feeling of failing or pulling. Has anyone expierenced anything like this? I am just not convienced its the tranny...maybe something electrical, as it started right after I changed the battery.
  • Options
    darook24darook24 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I also posted this new in the Forum, but wanted to ask you about the problems that you had. I own a 2005 Tibute and have not had any major problems with it. I had to have the battery jumped this past weekend and decided to replace it (it was the original). Upon changing the battery and an oil change I noticed that my tribute now revs/jumps/jerks (call it what you want) around 30 MPH...only on accelaration not when I slow down. It revs up about 1000 RPMS and just a fast goes right back down, so there is no change in my speed or any feeling of failing or pulling. I am just not convienced its the tranny...maybe something electrical, as it started right after I changed the battery. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    bachmanbachman Member Posts: 31
    darook-

I've been told that any change of battery can mean a number of things if not done properly. I assume properly means having a secondary power source so the computer controlled functions do not have to be reset or re- trained.
    Also, the shifting of an automatic may have to be re-learned based on some new driving habits being monitored.
    Of coarse, this is all hearsay as I'm not a mechanic but I've experienced a few electrical or shifting anomalies that ring true to these characteristics I'd heard of.
    In fact, on my last occasion of seriously bad transmission failure, I unhooked the battery thinking it might reset something important and correct a problem. The trans shop my buddie told me to take it to just for a code read told me I had wiped out any codes by unhooking the battery so a diagnostic code read would be a waste of money.

My advice is try driving it very normal and not under undue strain a bit and see if a few days of re learning will get it back in normal order. If not check with a shop familiar with these kinds of things and they may repeat a simulated battery swap starting over using the preferred and safe procedures.

~brian
  • Options
    camapicamapi Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2006 Mazda Tribute in June 2010. The first problem I noticed was on a trip in October. After driving on the interstate for about 100 miles, I pulled over to let my niece drive. Before I could put the car in park, it died. I could restart it fine, but when I put it into gear, it would die again. I had NO IDEA what it might be, and had to be towed 100 miles back home. While home, I had the battery replaced because a Valvoline oil place told me it needed it, but that still didn't solve the problem. I had learned how to gun the motor after throwing it in gear and basically get where I needed to go--once I got going, especially at a good speed, there were no problems at all, so I resumed my 400+ mile trip that I'd started the day before. The dying problem still happened sometimes, but not always. I was told it sound like I'd gotten a bad batch of gas, so I used a gas treatment. Then I had it looked at by a guy who's serviced Mazda's for 25 years, and it never acted up for him. I drove it the 400 miles home with no problems. In December 2010, the transmission completely failed. It was in the shop for 3 weeks and caused me to miss out on some of my Christmas travels because of hassles between the company that holds my Vehicle Service Contract, the dealership, and the rental place. I ended up paying over $200 as my part of the repair plus around $200 extra for the part of the rental that was not covered by my service contract. Earlier this month, guess what? The transmission went out again!!! I was on Spring Break, more than 400 miles from home. I was unable to get home on time, missed 4 days of work, and had to cover some of the costs again for the repair fiasco. Again, it took 3 weeks to get my car back! I am VERY unsatisfied with the Mazda transmissions and with my Vehicle Service Contract provider! It has been a HUGE mess!
  • Options
    cjadcjad Member Posts: 6
    Here's a warning friend, get rid of it! I also have a '03 Tribute AWD and I'm on my 3rd. tranny with 64,000 miles on it! Second was under warranty, but I paid White Bear Mazda $3,000.00 to install the third tranny! It was only about a thousand miles over the warranty...4 yr. That's how Ford/Mazda make their money, by putting in cheap transmissions. It even has an oil cooler, but they still go out because they're cheap! I only haul leaves twice a year on a light trailer...that's all I have ever pulled with this vehicle. I have one more year on the third tranny warranty & I won't be buying another Mazda! I wanted to give this vehicle to my daughter, but I don't want her to take the chance the 3rd. transmission will go out. Lately, a couple times it has shifted weird like the 2nd. one did! When the dealership puts in a new transmission (whether under warranty or not) it's not new...it's rebuilt! That's probably why my 2nd. one went out so fast! New ones will cost more than $3,000.00.
  • Options
    I have an '03 Mazda Tribute with 64,000 miles and am on the third tranny! People get rid of your Tribute's and never buy another! Mine is starting to act up again! Honda CRV will be my next vehicle because of the snow in Mn. I also have a Mazda 6 ('04) with very many problems when it was new! It now has 16,000 miles on it after 6-1/2 yrs. Main seal was leaking when we had only 600 miles on it! Pwr. steering pump also leaked and was replaced, but is leaking again after the warranty expired! Too many problems to explain. I don't have confidence in Mazda or Ford because that's what you're buying if you buy Mazda...the engine (V6) that is!
  • Options
    I know your pain, I have a '03 with 64,000 miles and am on my 3rd. transmission. Tributes are junk!
  • Options
    If I wasn't clear in my previous reporting of my experience, it is clear to me by a talented mechanic friend that many trans problems are design problems and rarely get re-designed for the fix. The only solution is aftermarket kits that actually come with details telling you why is sucked and how their products fix it or modify it telling you why it works! Add that and a good mechanic and all should be well. If you are stuck with a dealer or regular shop doing it with factory parts .. bury it with Osama. I got my one time fix for about $1500 paying a friend almost $700 for the labor. I will not get rid of that thing now and will run it per durability and longevity against anything new off the line in the Trib - Escape family.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited May 2011
    Ford and Mazda should be very well aware at this point that these "new" F/awd systems are putting too much stress on the drivetrain, rear clutch/diff'l/PTO/transaxle/torque converter.

Pull the F/awd clutch fuse except for times of need, TRUE times of need (KNOWN slippery roadbed), and the drive train life will be indefinite.
  • Options
    eabbotteabbott Member Posts: 1
    thinking about buying a 2009 mazda tribute what do you think i should buy it or not and why?
    thanks
  • Options
    tadd380tadd380 Member Posts: 1
    I own Mazda Tribute 2005 AWD. Just after 105,000 and over having it for five years I had transmission problems. I was able to drive with it like that for a few months, I just couldn’t do any fast accelerations without causing it to red line. It would only change gears if you took the foot of the pelt. I took it to a few local shops and they said it was a real common problem and that even though it was never officially acknowledged that ford and Mazda changed the transmission in 2008 or 2009. They said using a rebuild kit based off that fixs the problem so it will not happen again.
    I did have it fix last June, didn’t fix the problem as it keep returning every few months. Turns out there was a bad washer from the rebuild so they took it all apart again and fixed it, It has worked fine ever since. So I had to have 2 rebuilds to fix the problem, lucky for me that the shop offered a warranty so the second rebuild was free to me minus the time I spent taking it in to get fixed. I looked at different websites and found it is common to have problems getting the transmission fixed.
    To the person asking about getting a 2009 one, I really enjoy the tribute but wish I had better gas mileage; currently I am debated to invest more money in to getting new tires, more money on up keep or get a new car with better gas mileage. I am now thinking of keeping it and hope it last a few 2 more years without anything major happening to it. I would do a search of mazda tribute 2009 problems and see if anything major comes up as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think once your transmission problem is fixed properly (sounds like it is) the gas milege factor is not typically a primary motivator for getting different wheels. If you get 18 - 24 mpg city / highway for the 3.0 six, that is in the range of normal in my opinion.
    Unless you are looking for an excuse to get something else, I'd say do the math first. Going from 19 mpg to 35 mpg will save you around $30 a month considering 600 miles of driving or commute a month. That does not account for a loss of equity in getting out of the Trib (if that would be the case) or the cost and related finance for a different car and if newer, probable higher insurance rates. One of reasons for the Trib as my choice was the side air bags and the sense of safety with an SUV that sits a bit taller in the case of a crash or tee-bone hit. (Been there).
    I think the typical 35 mpg car ( best case highway not apples to apples against the 18 -19 mpg city on the Trib) is not built as solid or safe for a crash rating either.
    Just my .02 cents.

~brian
  • Options
    ballparkfmballparkfm Member Posts: 2
    I'd keep hounding them or the dealer or go to a different dealer even until they do something about it... i.e. switch out fluid, take out the fluid and look at the pan to see if there's shavings, etc... :D

How many miles are on it? Still in waranty?
  • Options
    chemicalschemicals Member Posts: 3
    I now have 24,000 miles on the car, drive alot because of a sales job, and in the car alot. Problem still there, but have not felt it as often. Everytime I go to the dealership for maintenance, I asked if there has been any recalls, NOTHING LISTED ANYWHERE????
    What will shavings show? I have not had this done, but if I do, should I do it at the dealership or thru another shop?
    Thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    tribute65tribute65 Member Posts: 1
    well friend we own tribute also with shifting problem for abt two years taking to mazda they keep saying no trouble found ...we took they to Lemon law
    Mazda is giving us 8 years watty with no without any cost to us ...or replace the tribute ..... file the lemon law let me know please
  • Options
    tribute8tribute8 Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing similar problems with my Tribute 2009 4 cyl. Please read into the Lemon Law Manual and find the Manufacturer's phone number and address and write a letter to them describing the problem. Also if you are planning to apply for the Florida Lemon Law or whatever state you reside; you have to also file a complaint to the BBB Auto Line as well.
    You need to send copies of all the services you have had and letters to all of these places mentioned above. Please start this process before the vehicle is 2 years/24 months.
    I am in my final process of the solution of this situation and I am getting 4 more years of Warranty or repurchase of another vehicle and pay the difference of the vehicle I chose.

Hope this information can help you.
  • Options
    sgb46sgb46 Member Posts: 1
    I will NEVER buy a Mazda again after the transmission went out on my 2006 WELL MAINTAINED Mazda Tribute with 46,000 miles!! After having it towed to the dealer they tried to get Mazda to cover it under the 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Mazda refused to cover it. The dealer quoted a price of 3800.00. With a price that high, I chose to have it towed to another service facility who fixed it for 2450.00 So far so good, however, I won't be keeping the Tribute and will never buy another Mazda again.
  • Options
    esyouveeesyouvee Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 Tribute XLT / AWD has around 85K miles and has held up fairly well. The tranny was making some rattling noise last year, but had the fluid changed and that was the end of that. My Tribute doesn't get used a lot though, so who knows how it would fare if it were being used for the daily grind.
  • Options
    m_mcphersonm_mcpherson Member Posts: 2
    Brian,
    When you lost drive, and then shortly after lost 1st and 2nd, what exactly was the problem? Where can the parts be purchased from? My friend has had exactly the same thing happen with her 2002 Tribute AWD V6, (besides countless other problems!)
    I'm sure I can get someone to pull the transmission out, and there are lots of small mechanics and machine shops that are good that could put it back together if the local transmission shop is being stupid.
    All I basically need is where you got your rebuild parts from? Or what exactly they are, so I can look around for them.
    Thanks! :)
  • Options
    The kit might have been by Trans Tech so that is what I'd search for. The forward drive hub is not part of a kit so far as I know so I suppose it's isn't always the culprit but I think it was the key to my failure. It's pricey and hard to get over the counter but if you deal with a trans shop, I assume they can get it if needed. I wouldn't assume anything until the experts pull that thing apart though. The CD4E a tricky gizmo so the kits are usually spot-on for directions and 'rituals'. I also think it comes in more than one version so warn the shop about that or look for one who does lots of Ford/Mazda trans work. If I recall correctly, one of the o-rings in the kit was not the right size and later found to be due to some slight variations in design or application. Aside from trans expense, downtime, I like everything else about the Trib though. Good luck and post the final outcome so others can benefit too.

~b
  • Options
    This is a diagram (link below) of the parts.

The forward drive drum/hub was not easy to source through a dealer and that was the biggest glitch. ebay has rebuilt-refurbished I think.
    I had a shift kit added that reduces wear on the parts and I'm told most kits have better parts / components than factory new.
    I also went with the advice of using one bottle of Valvoline synthetic then the balance of regular trans fluid by Valvoline. It reduces operating temps just a bit but the synthetic can/will be a problem if you use more or too much in the ratio. I'm sure the rebuild by a qualified shop or mechanic will out perform - outlast the factory original.

How many miles are on that thing anyways ?

http://www.amtrans.nl/CD4E.pdf
  • Options
    m_mcphersonm_mcpherson Member Posts: 2
    Wow, Thanks! :)

She has over 200,000kms on it.

She is still weighing her options. Something about girls not liking to "wing it" with cars, or "experiment" I guess. Personally, if it's at all possible to fix, I would rather do that. She apparently has an offer by someone to replace it with a low-km transmission from a wrecker for $1600 CAD, with a 90 day warranty, and then she'll probably try selling it and getting something smaller. She's moving soon anyways. If she does get her tranny replaced though, I'm definitely going to try to get my hands on the broken one and see what I can get done, or do myself, with it. Apparently rebuilt ones are in high demand.

The diagram is for a 4sp-FWD. Do you think it's similar enough to the AWD?

I haven't been working with cars much until this year, but I'm starting to enjoy it. :) I just wish you could work on them without the urgency of needing them to work before your life falls apart. haha.
  • Options
    barbara60gabarbara60ga Member Posts: 1
    My son's above referenced car (truck?) is having serious problems with his transmission. The reverse went out completely. No one has dropped the transm. to examine it, but a prof. has it now and after driving it around says that at about 100k miles these trannys fuse together in spots where the ventilation is not good. He would be afraid to take it out on the street to check the other gears. It will go forward in Drive. He estimates about $2,000 to fix it if the problem is as he fears. No other problems with the car. He has been very happy with it. But (gulp) now are looking at an expensive repair. Advice?
  • Options
    longmiler49longmiler49 Member Posts: 2
    I've been a Ford person for decades, and subsequently bought a Mazda Tribute (Escape platform in a different wardrobe.) It has run well for 9 years, until this morning when the transmission refused to engage in any gear. The Overdrive light flashed intermittently just prior to the transmission disengaging. Although they haven't opened it up yet, the transmission repair person told me that the transfer case is often the culprit with 4WD or AWD vehicles. I won't know for sure until they get it apart, which could be a few days yet.
  • Options
    Barbra --

$2000 sounds about right, maybe even low from $2500 - $2800 depending on the damage. Understand that with a factory fix and parts, you may be set up for the same problem 70k to 100k miles out again. Factory parts and design (Ford transmission) is what it is.

I'd be more inclined to find or stick with a mechanic or shop that is off the trail from a dealership and make sure they can and will use a tranny rebuild kit that fixes the glitches of a factory design. Say it just that way and when you get a bite from a shop or mech that understands what you are saying, get an estimate from them. Trans get too hot often due to poor design. For some in the older days, it just meant drilling a pilot hole in a part of the valve body to let fluid get to parts it was not getting to as well. Ford could have easily fixed or modified it on the assembly line on the older cars but never did.

Get it fixed right and keep it forever b/c it'll be better than new. If you get it fixed via factory parts, drive for another 20 - 30k miles and sell it. Tell us how it works out though !! Good luck -

~brian
  • Options
    koutaliskoutalis Member Posts: 5
    On April 6th 2010 I posted on here about my transmission problems. I at that time had 43,000 miles on my car and owned my car for a little over a year and a half. Here we are today Jan 12 2012 I now have 85,000 miles on my Tribute. And guess what I will now be replacing the transmission again. So Warning to all I guess Mazda only makes there transmissions last for about a 1 &1/2 and for 43,000 miles. I am so pissed of now. But I am awaiting a call back that I bought my car from that gave me warranty forever on, so lets see the reasons they are going to try to give my to not replace this for a second time for free. :( :mad: :cry: :lemon:
  • Options
    dennis1956dennis1956 Member Posts: 1
    Way too many problems with trans. The noise I've heard and $3080.00 repair bill on Jasper rebuild proves this is not isolated incident. Failed after less than 60K. Used by wife just to take kids to school and grocery store etc... probably why this 06 model took so long to die. That is so long in the housefly lifespan of a Mazda. This is a very poor performance by Ford. Our Tribute hardly ever ran for more than 45 min at a time - just didn't have need to drive for very long or far. Damn thing should have gone over 100K before tranny died. Don't know what can be done outside of everyone taking a few moments to complain to Ford / Mazda folks and vent in forums like this. Guess I shoulda spent an extra $8K and got her a F150.
  • Options
    If you have the F/awd system then there is now little doubt that the entire drive train is being overstressed via the automatic activation, engagement, of the rear drive even on highly tractive surfaces.

I suggest that the longevity of the driveline could be seriously extended if you add a switch such that the rear drive clutch could be disabled unless the driver is aware or suspicious of slippery roadbed conditions.
  • Options
    crow10crow10 Member Posts: 2
    Abruzz, I have a 2009 Tribute with 6 speed automatic tranny and 4 cyl engine and I am experiencing the same sound problems that you have reported at low rpms and at low speeds more so with air conditioning on. It is a low growl sound coming from under the hood. The noise disappears as the car increases in speed. I seldom get the noise with the a/c off. Were you able to get the noise problem resolved? I have reported it to dealer once and they were not able to find anything.
    I also had the leaking rear window problem as you did. The dealer replaced the rear window and seal and it helped some but still has a small leak.
  • Options
    Absent the use of a balance shaft in the design L4 engines generate a lot of NVH. oftentimes mechanical harmonic effects from things like the A/C compressor, torquing the rear drive line, etc, will amplify the NVH inordinately.
  • Options
    crow10crow10 Member Posts: 2
    wwest, my Mazda did not generate these noises when new. They started when I got about 3000 miles on my car. I did not notice any noises at all when I purchased the car new with 4 miles on the odometer. I feel you are correct that L4 engines produce a lot of NVH, and it appears that the noise is inherent for the vehicle and its design. Is there anything that I can do to reduce or eliminate the noise? Do they make noise canceling oscillators which can be purchased for automobiles? Any advice you can give me?
  • Options
    mik15mik15 Member Posts: 1
    Tribute with 195K miles, within past month when coming up on a hill doing about 40 to 50mph there is a thumping coming thru gas pedal, feels like transmission is skipping and can't downshift. Have to get off gas pedal in order to regain acceleration. It is a V6, 4wd with overdrive. If the overdrive is turned off, it doesn't do it. Never does it when on level road. Any idea what is the cause?
  • Options
    Motor mounts....
  • Options
    justme222justme222 Member Posts: 1
    I've been having some minor shifting issues with my 2008 i4 automatic Mazda Tribute. It has been shifting roughly while going from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th. Sometimes there is some hesitation, but it would then shift. Occasionally, there was some downshifting issues, but those were far less common. However, today on my way back from lunch, I was on the highway doing about 65mph. Then for some reason, I was unable to get any acceleration. I would put any amount of pressure on the accelerator, even all the way to the floor. All the car would do would jump a little bit but not accelerate. It would not go past the 2 on the RPM gauge either. Fortunately I was on an exit ramp. Once the car got down to about 45, I guess a gear engaged and I was able to drive again. I'm not sure what to do. Is that a transmission problem or something else? Thanks.
  • Options
    failmazdafailmazda Member Posts: 1
    My first car was a 2006 Mazda 3, really liked that car.. Had twins and needed a bigger vehicle. Chose the Tribute because I liked Mazda and it was cheap.

Picked up a 2010 and had no problems until at 33k I had to accelerate quickly at a left turn and the tranny failed, wouldn't get power to the wheels. I nearly cause a major 5 vehicle collision at an intersection that could have killed people.

The vehicle showed no signs of any issues prior to this incident. Dealer replaced the transmission under warranty but the new one is now having problems too. It is shifting very roughly.. I will be taking it in again soon.

I apparently didn't research enough because I had thought any issues were worked out prior to the 2010 model year.

There was someone who posted earlier in this thread that described what happened with my 2010 the same as his, a terrible shuttering that would shake the vehicle. I know this because the dealer advised me to bring it in.

I wonder if I had caused a horrific accident and killed people and the investigators found a faulty transmission on a new vehcile if Mazda would have had to deal with it then?
  • Options
    mudd1054mudd1054 Member Posts: 1
    So do I have a story. I bought my 2003 Mazda Tribute 4x4 (6 cylinder) with 34 miles on it. No problems with anything other than regular wear and tear, tires, brakes, etc.. I have 205,000 miles on it today and have spent about 2,000 in the last month getting it running. I had a rinky dink outfit in Duluth MN give me a bunch of bull about it needing 4 new coils - then after that grand, it still didn't run - towed it down to the cities and brought it to another local ma and pa shop with a "trustworthy" mechanic who replaced a cylenoid and another coil. Drove it for a few days and it broke down again so I had it towed to Mazda in Burnville where they informed me that it needed an alternator - another 800 bucks. Drove it for another week, and now I have 1st, 2nd and reverse but no drive gear. I think its time to give it up but it has been so good up until this point. I think I should get another 100,000 on this vechicle - it is loaded, still looks great, but I don't know what to do. Can't afford another vehicle (as I still have a car payment on my 08 Honda) nor can I afford a new transmission - Is there a way to piece this vehicle out or sell it not running - I don't know what to do. I am very attached to this Mazda - sounds stupid I know....
  • Options
    gdaou76gdaou76 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    I took my car in to the dealership last week to have it serviced. A few days later I took it to another Mazda dealership to have tires and brakes done(was significatly cheaper at the other dealership). The next day a gold wrench appeared on my dash board, and my car started idling high. I called the dealership (where I had the service done), and they asked me to bring the car in. Well.... in a few days time, my car suddenly needs a transmission!! Up until last week, I'd had no issues with my car, have stayed on top of the scheduled maintenance, and ALWAYS take it to the dealership. It makes no sense that a 08' with 69k on it would need a transmission. Since the warranty mileage came first, Mazda has only offered to cover the parts (refurbished at that) but none of the labor. I know that this is not normal, and so does Mazda. I'm so over this whole experience.
  • Options
    icarusaicarusa Member Posts: 1
    To further warn anyone considering buying a used (or new) Mazda Tribute, I add this story about two transmission failures in my 2004 Mazda Tribute, the second one with only 27,000 miles on it. The first failure occurred at 48,000 miles when the vehicle was just beyond its warranty, and was 400 miles from home. At that time, Mazda customer service extended a "good will" warranty in providing a "remanufactured" transmission, but I had to pay $1000 in labor charges and plane fare. That replacement transmission recently failed with ONLY 27,000 miles on it!! How pathetic is that? I reached out to Mazda customer service, asking that they extend a good will warranty replacement on this second outrageous failure. They opened a "file" and after two weeks of back and forth shenanigans, they refused to help out. Moreover, I'd always taken the Mazda to the dealership for servicing. With all of the reported problems with Mazda transmissions, and their refusal to "own up" and replace when an unreasonable failure, they deserve to have their customer disregard and irresponsibility publicized. My advice: stay away from Mazda!
  • Options
    chightower1chightower1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same issue with my 2001, 2.0 liter. Can you tell me if you ever resolved your issue. My clutch went out yesterday, but it was replaced in the last few years so i find it odd that it went out so soon, perhaps made worse by this stutter.

Thanks,
  • Options
    alicewondersalicewonders Member Posts: 1
    Hi - Was this question ever answered, because IT IS EXACTLY what's happening with my 2006 Tribute.
    After running at 60-65 mph, the engine is loud and sounds like an airplane motor. RPM doesn't go above 2, and have to push accelerator to the floor to keep speed up.
    Worried I'm gonna burn my trans out, but not much $$ to afford a major fix.

My problem started after having the alternator replaced - coincidence?

thanks!
  • Options
    diamndgrldiamndgrl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute and it has been a great car, until last Friday! I can put it in to drive and begin to drive, then it suddenly sounds and acts like it is in neutral. At first it only did this if I put on the brakes, like at a traffic light. Now, it does it even if I am not braking. What makes it more confusing is that if I put it in park, turn off the car and wait a few minutes then restart the car and put it in drive it goes just fine for a few minutes, then I am right back where I started, going nowhere! I do not hear any noise coming from the transmission, the fluid does not look burnt, etc. This has me suspecting it may be a sensor or some sort- Can anyone give me some insight?
  • Options
    nawnimnawnim Member Posts: 1
    having the exact same issue with the exact same car as alicewonders. 06 mazda tribute just replaced alternator and we even replaced the transmission because metal broke off of the inside of it. Now the new transmission is having the same issues as before and now the OverDrive light is on again just like before when the transmission gave out the first time resulting in a brand new one.
  • Options
    angrymom1angrymom1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2002 Mazda Tribute 3 days ago from a small NH dealer, fr my 16 year old. I have driven it the last few days to make sure everything is o.k. before he gets behind the wheel. It has an automatic transmission that shift smoothly, no jerking, no noise, etc. I was on my way to work today and all of a sudden it just began to rev. I was in drive, but it seemed to have disengaged. I made a lot of people angry going from 55 to nothing in a matter of seconds, but was safely able to coast into a parking lot. I tried truning the car off and on, switching it between park and the other gears. Nothing. Transmission fluid is clean, no burning smell and no leaks, etc. The dealer sai he is not responsible for this adnt hat I bought it as an as is, which I understand. It has yet to get stickerd, and he gaurantesd a sticer, which now it won't pass. I am prepared to fight that battle. But as far as this issue happening, is it possible that it is something other than the transmission? I paid $3300 for this vehicle and don;t have the money to put a new transmission in it. Any help, advice, etc. is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    vic2001vic2001 Member Posts: 1
    Yah...i have the same issue with my 06 Tribute, where you able to find out what was wrong with it.
  • Options
    vango357vango357 Member Posts: 5

@angrymom1 said:
    I purchased a 2002 Mazda Tribute 3 days ago from a small NH dealer, fr my 16 year old. I have driven it the last few days to make sure everything is o.k. before he gets behind the wheel. It has an automatic transmission that shift smoothly, no jerking, no noise, etc. I was on my way to work today and all of a sudden it just began to rev. I was in drive, but it seemed to have disengaged. I made a lot of people angry going from 55 to nothing in a matter of seconds, but was safely able to coast into a parking lot. I tried truning the car off and on, switching it between park and the other gears. Nothing. Transmission fluid is clean, no burning smell and no leaks, etc. The dealer sai he is not responsible for this adnt hat I bought it as an as is, which I understand. It has yet to get stickerd, and he gaurantesd a sticer, which now it won't pass. I am prepared to fight that battle. But as far as this issue happening, is it possible that it is something other than the transmission? I paid $3300 for this vehicle and don;t have the money to put a new transmission in it. Any help, advice, etc. is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

• Options

By any chance was it Londonderry, NH. I bought my 2003 mazda tribute from a small dealer also, back in November, now my tranny is acting up and almost got me killed on the highway yesterday. Today engine reving upon start-up and tranny just isn't the same. **

• Options

Ok all you Tribute owners, this is an update on my tranny giving out on the highway 2 weeks ago.
    I was on the highway and went to pass someone and as I was speeding up my 2003 tribute just lost power, engine was still running but no shifting. I went from 70mph down to 30mph in seconds, almost got me killed. Since then rough idle, stalling, high reving rpm. End result this is what I did: Disconnected the Battery, Took out the entire air cleaner box, MAF Sensor and Air Idle Control valve. Cleaned all the duct work and air cleaner box in kitchen sink-after taking the MAF Sensor off of course. Bought Some MAF spray cleaner at Autozone and cleaned as directed. Cleaned Air Idle Control with Trottle body cleaner from Autozone and cleaned as directed. I manually opened up the throttle body on the intake and sprayed inside and wiped clean. My Air filter was only a month old so I cleaned out any debri and vaccumed it. Re-installed everything back in place. Connected the Battery.
    Got in Turned the key and efter a little Hesitaion started right up with no high reving. Let it run to normal operating temp then put AC on full blast for about 5 min. Now driving it at least 15 miles to reset computer. END RESULT- My Tribute is running better than ever, smooth idle, shifting is perfect and I,m actually getting better gas mileage. Not to mention-this 3.0 v6 takes off like a fricken rocket. Hope this helps. Any question or pics, info, feel free to send me a shout. Steve : )

• Options
    gstevenagstevena Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 2005 Mazda Tribute i AWD new in 2005. At 42,000 miles the transmission locked up with no warning. We were still under warranty (45K). The transmission was replaced by the dealer with a 50,000 mile warranty. I had read many tales on many threads about the substandard transmissions in Ford Escapes, Mazda Tributes and Ford Explorers. I always joked I would sell the car at 92,000 miles, but it was such a clean car with no other problems. It was paid off, daughter driving it less than 10,000 miles a year at school, we were lulled into a false sense of security. Then the transmission lost second gear at 96,000 miles. It seems a snap ring broke, and the little metal pieces destroyed the "lubricated parts". The transmission shop said that the second transmission was a rebuilt transmission. The shop bought and installed a used transmission with 78,000 miles on it (after they put in a new filter, gaskets and seals) and guaranteed it for 6 months/6,000 miles. The price tag was $3,000 tax and all. Now I have to decide whether to keep this car or sell it and take my chances on a used car for my daughter. If we buy another vehicle, it sure as **** won't be a Mazda or Ford.
  • Options
    aminata1aminata1 Member Posts: 1
    what is it with Mazda tribute? Always transmission problem. My car came to a complete stop on the highway. And it is so costly changing it. They should have a recall on madza tribute 2008. Too many problems with it. Gosh. I am so pissed cause I don't even have that kind of money to start with. Ugh!