Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Audio, iPod, Bluetooth, MP3, AUX questions

Comments

• orlando7orlando7 Member Posts: 8
    The dealer repaired my Bluetooth which was disabled when Sirius was installed. I just set up my phone and I noticed that the prompt and calls only come thru one speaker on my left. Is that normal or should it be coming thru all the speakers? Your answer will be appreciated.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Bluetooth hand-free is 1-channel sound for now.
    On my other vehicle, it also comes out of the driver-side speaker only.
    On Lexus, it comes out of both front speakers but is that better? I don't know.
    It is not stereo. More speakers do not help much.
    Due to the 1-channel nature of Bluetooth, try not to talk over each other during conversation....
    P.S. there is stereo Bluetooth for music, but not for hand-free.
  • golovesgoloves Member Posts: 1
    There are several other posts that are similar to this, but I didn't see anything that answered this question specifically. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I recently purchased an '07 CX-9 Grand Touring with Nav, Satellite Radio and a DVD system. Like many others, I was very disappointed to discover that the presence of the satellite radio had disconnected the Aux jack for my .mp3 player (the aux jack is one of the main reasons I purchased a new car - I'm sick of using an FM transmitter!) and I didn't discover it until the purchase was complete. I purchased the car used.

I don't want to spend the money for the switchbox to make the aux port and the satellite both work because I don't care about satellite radio - I'll never use it. I called the dealership and asked them if they could disconnect the satellite and re-connect the aux port. They said that they could.

However, a question has since come up in my mind with respect to the DVD entertainment system. To play the sound from a DVD through the car speakers, I press the Media button on the Nav console, which I understand is also the button I would press to play .mp3s through the car speakers. I don't want to fix the aux port only to find that I can't play DVD audio through the car's speakers. I called the dealership and posed this question to them, and they "thought" it wouldn't be a problem. However, I don't want to go pay for this service only to discover when it's done that something else doesn't work. Do any of you have any experience with this?

I LOVE my CX-9, but I'm frustrated out of my mind with how kludgy all of the electronics seem to be!

Anyway, thanks in advance for your input!
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Do you have Sirius? You might have to get a switchbox to get things working properly.

If you don't have Sirius, the plug might not be seating properly and toggling both channels. I'll assume that headphones work properly in your MP3 player (i.e. you get both channels), so try removing/inserting the cord slowly from the aux input to see if it toggles both channels. Try doing the same on the player side while the cord is plugged into the AUX. If it does toggle, it's not seating properly--might have to get replaced.

I'd plug another MP3 player into the AUX and see if it has the same issue. Or plug your MP3 player into a receiver in your house using the same cord used in the CX-9 (might have to get the bigger adapter that plugs into the headphone port).
  • denyrunnerdenyrunner Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply. Actually I had tried what you suggested earlier with no luck and yes, my headphones work properly with the same cords.. I had just upgraded my MP3 and tried with both my old one (RIO) and my new one (Zune). I tried a gold double jack cord as well as one from my Bose headphones. I'm thing the jack is not wired correctly. I will try the receiver at home also. May have to try in another vehicle at the dealer to prove out. If I find the problem I will post.
    I got a new hi-quality cord at radio shack and that did the trick. The bose headphone cord is specific to the headphones and my other cord must of been single channel or not quite right on way or another. Anyway, sounds awsome now and I'm a happy camper. Thanks all.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    If you didn't get your answer yet...

Yes you can disconnect the SAT and re-connect the Aux jack.
  • atlmazdaatlmazda Member Posts: 3
    I just had the Sirius receiver installed and now my Bluetooth isn't functioning properly. It seems that the voice activation and calls are going through but I'm not getting any volume. The dealership said they would contact Mazda about the problem. I'm worried they're going to try to make me purchase a switchbox and don't feel like I should have to after spending $500 for the Sirius. How can I get the Bluetooth back up and running since it's one of my favorite and most used features?
  • caliche67caliche67 Member Posts: 27
    Quick question: What exact kind of cable should I buy in order to connect my i-Pod to the Auxiliary port inside the front console? Where should I get it (Apple? Mazda? Radio Shack?). Also, with such cable, is the i-Pod screen going to be displayed on the Navigation/Audio screen? How about a video i-Pod? How does this exactly work? Thanks!
  • imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    You need a dual male end plug... same size as your headphones... one to go into the ipod...the other to go into the aux port. No, it will not display anything in the nav system...only with the ipod integration unit will that happen... you can get the plug from all of the above... they're easy to find and not very expensive... once you plug it in... tune your audio system to "aux" once you do... it's on... one thing people run against is the volume issues... turn the volume up on the ipod... then adjust it in the car. To me it sounds great...works fine...and is a plus... It's much like sticking in the old dummy casset in a player so you could use a cd player (back in the day) if you didn't have one in the car...
  • caliche67caliche67 Member Posts: 27
    Thank you imamg!!
  • pulleydogpulleydog Member Posts: 61
    I purchased a Sirius Radio (not the Mazda unit) for my car and have it connected directly to the AUX input inside the console. I get a high pitched noise and can also hear the 'whine' of the engine as the rpms change. I borrowed my nephews iPod and hooked it up to the same AUX port, but I still get the same noise. That pretty much eliminates the device as the cause. I doubt it's the cable, but I used the same one for the Sirius radio and the iPod, so I supposed it's a possibility.

I talked to a tech at Circuit City and he said it sounded like a 'ground loop' - the ground for the radio and the AUX port are not the same. I changed power points for the radio but it didn't change - but then I remembered the iPod did the same thing - and that was using it's own battery power.

I'll probably make an appointment sometime next week to have Mazda look at it, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same condition when using the AUX port in their CX9??
    This is a known issue in the CX-9. You need a ground loop insulator, available here. That will solve the issue.

Not sure why a ground loop insulator is not built-in...
    That's interesting.. being a "known" issue... I dont have that with my car when using the ipod on its own( plugged into the aux port)..but had noticed it when using the aux( lighter ) as a power source for it...
    It's a known issue to the CX-9 owners, but not sure if it's known to Mazda itself!

I don't think Mazda did such a bang-up job with its choice of stereo for the CX-9...you need all sorts of adapters if you have Sirius and need to run the ipod...it's ridiculous.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    Since when does one (1) adapter, widely known and understood by Mazda dealers' service advisors, qualify as "...all sorts of adapters..." if you have the Sirius radio option and also want to run an iPod through the auxillary jack?
    Yep, you need all sorts of adapter depending what you want to do with your iPod:
    1. You need an adapter (switching box) to run the iPod if you have Sirius.
    2. You need the switching box (1 adapter) + ipod integration module (another adapter) if you want to see you iPod list tracks on the radio and still have use of the auxiliary port.

This could all be built-in at the factory if they had their act together, instead of making me go back to the dealer so he can rip apart my trim (and hopefully not damage anything). And by the way, some dealers around here don't know about the switching box and didn't realize the iPod wouldn't work until I plugged mine in for them and showed them.
  • jdoeringjdoering Member Posts: 5
    It's know to Mazda. The 08 Owners Manual says not to power devices from the car while plugging them into the aux.
    I'll admit that more education of the dealer employee's is warrented about what's available and what's not... When this first came out the information was definately confusing as to what worked with what etc... ( being the p.m. at a dealer and a cx9 owner ... believe me I know.) As far as doing a better job...of course they could have... by the same token... "we" as owners or potential owners need to educate ourselves on what's coming and or not coming on a purchase of thousands of dollars....

"Mazda's bringing sexy back yeah! C-x (y) 9"
  • epicardepicard Member Posts: 15
    When I'm doing research, test driving I expect to have my questions answered when asking the sales person (as well as doing the research ahead of time online). I found the information about the stereo systems completely misleading in the manual, and was completely confused by the fact that the 'base' model of the stereo supported MP3 CDs, and the upgraded Bose system does not. When I was taking the car for my first test drive I asked the sales person if the stereo supported MP3 CDs, and the answer was yes. It didn't occur to me that the upgraded system would downgrade features.

It's also not right that Mazda didn't put an audio filter on the AUX input such that devices plugged into it could run off car power. That's just crazy. And certainly nobody gave me that caveat when I asked about the AUX input so I could plug my Zune into it.

I really like my CX-9 - but when Mazda decided to build a car that would compete with luxury brands, going cheap on some features that are minor expenses - but that are used every day by the owner is a bad idea.
    I just ordered a switching box for my new CX-9. $110...holy crap (never mind that the full retail price is over $140). I don't even want to know what installation will cost, might attempt to do it myself.

Next step will likely be to order a ground loop insulator once I power up the iPod (my iPod battery doesn't last too long these days, so I have to plug it in).

It's ridiculous that I have to take all these steps to listen to a MP3 player. This might explain the terrible rating for Audio in Consumer Reports. Oh well...at least activating the Sirius was painless! And I do enjoy driving the CX-9! It's awesome!
    Do you know what brands incorporate a ground loop isolator in their aux jacks?

From what I have read, this should be taken care of on the power input side rather than the sound out side.

I've heard that wrapping the power cord around a ferrite core will eliminate the noise. So, maybe you should ask Microsoft why the Zune comes with an unfiltered power supply.
    I think poking fingers at Microsoft for the Zune is silly when many others have complained that other devices (including iPods) plugged into power and AUX cause the same problem.

As to what models do filter it - all I can say is that my Mini Cooper didn't have this problem.
    This is a known issue in the CX-9. You need a ground loop insulator, available here. That will solve the issue.
    Not sure why a ground loop insulator is not built-in...

nxs138, thanks for supplying that link to the ground loop insulator. I was planning to take my car to the dealer to have this checked, but for $20, I may just buy this device and be done with it. Wasting my time at the dealership while they try to figure out what's wrong (when they may end up charging me anyway) might not be the best way to go.

I wasted 2 hours there last time, to have them change the locks to rolling/auto locks.....only to have them tell me it couldn't be done....which I'm not convinced is true.

Anyway - thanks for all the feedback!
  • tucsonanstucsonans Member Posts: 8
    After reading all previous posts, here is my understanding of the iPod issue in review. If anyone finds any flaws in my logic, let me know, as I am dealing with the same issue right now.

The back of the radio has one input, which comes connected to the Aux port in the center console by default from the factory as long as you didn't purchase any add-ons (Sirus or iPod Integration Module). No problems so far. Now let say you would like one of the previously listed add-ons. These add-ons need to be connected to the same single plug in on the back of the radio. It sounds like a lot of the submitted issues come from the dealers simply disconnecting the Aux and connecting the add-on, rendering the Aux useless. Along comes the Switch Box. This device sounds like it plugs into the back of the radio, then Ys, allowing two devices to be plugged in, such as the original Aux and one add-on. Since there are three devices currently available (Sirus, Aux, iPod Integration Module), the Switch Box allows two of the three to be connected. Without the Switch Box, the user can just pick which item they want connected but nothing else will work. Ok, manifesto complete.

2008 GT
    Just to be clear, the Switching Box only works with AUX and another accessory. You cannot connect Sirius and iPod at the same time.
    Ok, good to know. So in my situation, I would like the iPod Integration Module (IIP) to work with my radio/NAV system. If I have them install the Switching Box, my Aux should continue to work, where without it, only the IIP would work. Are there any other factors in making this choice? My dealer says he tried once before without luck but I don't know which method they used. Any further help is appreciated.
  • rmullettermullette Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem as epicard. When test driving I took along a Jukebox cd with mp3 songs on it to test the system. Most salespeople seem to think that the AUX plugin for an Ipod is "THE MP3" player. My car was the "touring" model with the Bose/sunroof package. I finally got around to making some new mp3 discs only to find out that, while recognized by the system, there was no sound. Now, to make things more interesting, I received from Mazda, a package thanking me for my purchase of a new CX-9.

One of the preprinted pamphlets (#9999-92-cust-cxp-08) "getting to know your CX-9" reviews features on the car. In the audio system section it states, and I quote.

"Bose Centerpoint surround sound expands the two-channel stereo mix of conventional CD's, MP3-encoded CD's and (when played from the rear seat entertainment system) DVD's encoded in two-channel stereo into five channels."

Obviously there is a major screwup here on Mazdas' part. I have called Mazdas customer service at 1-800-222-5500 and spoken to "Austin" who never gets back to me with an answer. As far as I am concerned, I was sold an audio unit capable of playing MP3 encoded CD's and I will settle for no less than that. Especially as their own owner info confirms the ability of Bose system as an mp3 encoded cd player.

Love some feedback on this. Roger
    Amen brother! I'm still angry about this.

Eric
    As an update, I got my hands on the installation instructions for both Sirus and the iPod Integration Module. In the end, both have a 16-pin connector that fits the back of the stereo. So, you can have one or the other, but regardless of what you pick, the addition of the Switching Box allows the retained use of the Aux. All right on with what you said Maltb. So, in closing, does anyone have the iPod Integration Module, and more importantly, does anyone have it installed with the NAV system? There has got to be someone out there...
    Regarding the CD player having the ability to play MP3's: I was talking to Mazda on an unrelated bluetooth issue, and the person there mentioned some issues with the CD player's MP3 capability. It might be software related (he mentioned something about Johnson Controls), so they definitely know something is up. Other than that, I know nothing else.

The way the audio system was integrated in the CX-9 just blows. Sounds like last minute additions. You don't see the new Highlander or the MDX or RDX having problems like these (and by issues I mean bluetooth not working correctly through the audio, and having an AUX-in that is not enabled at the factory if you have Sirius. It's ridiculous in what is likely their flagship vehicle).
    I have Nav + switch box (yes factory Aux is working) + Dice Electronics iPod Integration Kit (rather than the Mazda option; Dice supports text display pretty decently).

I'm sure the same setup would work with the Mazda iPod option; but it doesn't support text (it might be easier to control from the steering wheel than the Dice though - I've never used it).

I posted detailed info over at the mazda247 forums a couple of weeks ago.

-Jeff
    BTW my 08 with Nav also plays MP3 CDs fine and the bluetooth integration works flawlessly. The MP3 CD supports seems a bit picky on ID3v2 tags and such (but then again a huge number of PC media software programs including Windows itself are really picky on this too)... but overall the discs I burnt (following the Owners Manual instructions on directory structure, etc) work fine although they're a bit slow to load on startup (the manual does warn of this).

Only complaint I have is that Mazda iPod features suck (no text) and third-party (Dice) integration with Mazda controls is decent but no better than that (they have quirks from trying to emulate a Sat radio unit for their iPod adapter and their tech support complains that the Mazda headunit is "weird" to try to send text to).

Maybe the Nav unit and it's software has fixes for the issues others are seeing...

-Jeff
    Bought the Ground Loop Noise Isolater from Crutchfield - the high pitched whine is GONE. $25 with shipping saved me a 1/2 day of wasted time at the dealership - and who knows if they would have fixed it - or charged me to fix it, if they could....?

Thanks nxs138! Finally enjoying my Sirius radio through the AUX input. :)
    Awesome, I'm glad it works! I just bought the switching box last week, have to install it so that I can enjoy the AUX port too. I'll probably just go ahead and order the ground loop isolator, I'm sure I'll get the whine.
  • mseningenmseningen Member Posts: 27
    Apparently finding CX-9s with DVD's is a challenge.

Anyone have experience putting in (or having put in :-)
    an aftermarket DVD system?

thanks,
    m
    Mine has it... but if I wasn't able to get a car with it... I'd planned on going with the headrest system... http://www.invisionindustries.com/default.aspx We've done a couple cars here...and the system is pretty nice... not to mention having more than 1 in the car would be a nice option.
  • rhannrhann Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking for ways to playback the DVD and include the front NAV screen in the playback. I get audio through the front system by pressing the Media button, but the Video does not appear. On our Toyota Sienna, I could get this by putting on the Emergency Brake while parked. It may seem insignificant, but it is nice to see what the kids are watching when I'm waiting for the wife to run a quick errand. Thanks for any feedback or ideas.
    I finally went with the Dice iPod Integration. The cost was $159 and it works as advertised. In the end, it appears this is the only solution if you have the DVD NAV.
    So you get full control of your ipod now? does it also work with your steering wheel controls?
    My only complaint about the Aux Input is that I have to jack up the volume on my MP3 player to MAX in order to hear the sound at the same level as the CD/FM/etc.. Is this normal?
    Yes, input jacks are typically designed for "line out" volumes. I have the same issue on several other components that have Aux in.
    I use a Tune with my CX9 and I found that you have to work the volume settings together. I have not had any problem getting the volume I want, but need to make sure it is turned up on the MP3 player and then I adjust it on the Boseto the level I want. Works great.
  • maarulavmaarulav Member Posts: 3
    Hello! I don't have CX-9 yet, but I intend to buy one pretty soon. However I still have some reservations. One of them is audio system. Unfortunately Mazda bundles up advanced audio option (Bose) with either a moonroof or a DVD entertainment system. I don't want either of them. :mad: I would prefer them to bundle it with power rear hatch, but there is little I can do about it. So my questions are: 1) How good or bad is a 6-speaker standard audio system (with a single CD)? 2) Does anybody have any experience with aftermarket audio systems? Thank you in advance!
  • orlando7orlando7 Member Posts: 8
    Like you I didn't want the nav or moonroof so I went with the standard radio. I miss not having the the 6-CD changer and the power seems lacking...just not the umph you want. I'm living with it but am very disappointed in the entire audio set-up: like losing my ipod plug-in capabilities when I had Sirius installed. You can read other postings on the joke they call an audio system. Choose another car or wait for the 09 for some improvement. You'll save on gas too....mine is a real gas slut; just mocks me at the pump.. One tank I got 13mpg doing just city driving. Good shopping!
  • maarulavmaarulav Member Posts: 3
    I don't care about a CD-changer because I intend to plug in my mp3-player. I assume that a standard set-up would be weak (they always do that to convince buyers to opt for expensive packages), so I am really interested in aftermarket audio. I didn't find any posting regading this issue.
  • lch77lch77 Member Posts: 53
    I have Moonroof w/ Bose and also Nav. The instruction manual says the CD Name, Artist name and Track Name will be displayed on the screen as long as each character is represented by one byte. I have inserted 5 commercial CD's and none of this infformation is displayed. Does this feature only work in certain country's? (I'm in the USA). If it should work here does anyone out there know how to nake it work?
    There are two CD players - the 'standard' CD changer offers CD Text and MP3 compatibility. When you 'upgraded' to the Bose system, your CD player was downgraded to one that doesn't support text or MP3 playback. Most excellent, eh? Never wanted to take a car back because of the stereo system before.
    I think you are jumping to conclusion here.
    I have moonroof and Assist package (therefore, upgraded Bose stereo).
    I can see CD text on some of my CDs, but not all.
    I am not sure about the "standard CD" system, but my Toyota Prius' CD player is similar (both are Bose systems). Maybe Bose does have issue supporting some CD-text, but not all.
    For instance, it works with Celine Dion's Taking Chances. Try it.
    The day I own a Celine Dion CD, please someone shoot me, but I hold no grudge against anyone enjoying her music. :)

Let me clarify: The CD Changer offered by Mazda comes in two flavors - one with MP3 support that offers CD Text support (from what I've been able to learn) and one that does not. If your CD Changer shows the MP3 symbol in the upper left-hand corner of the faceplate, then you have MP3 support. If it does not, then you don't. Mazda has told me directly that the MP3 supporting CD Changer does not work with the Bose system. I don't have NAV - so it's possible that the non-MP3 supporting CD Changer with Nav does have some intermittent support of text - but my non-NAV system does not.

If anyone has a CD Changer with Bose that DOES support MP3s - PLEASE post a photo of the faceplate here so we can see it. Numerous posts on this topic have been made. Mazda continues to claim that there is no MP3 support with the Bose system, a few people have submitted posts to the contrary - but have not followed up to requests to validate this.

If Mazda has updated the Bose system during the current model year run such that it does support MP3 CD Changer, I would be grateful for an update on this topic.