Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Audio, iPod, Bluetooth, MP3, AUX questions

Comments

• not_2_shabbynot_2_shabby Member Posts: 29
    For those that installed the dice link kit, do I need the switch box in order to have the dicelink and the aux port to work?
  • mcardldmcardld Member Posts: 1
    Just got a new GT w/ Nav, w/ Bose and w/o Sat. I'm trying to use the aux jack to play music with my iPhone. When the cable is plugged in, the system recognizes it because the display changes to the generic "AUX" screen. However, I don't get any sound. iPhone works fine through its own speakers when it's not plugged in. I am using a Belkin aux plug cable that is designed for use with the iPhone. Any ideas? Thx.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    You need to dial up the volume by 2X to hear it. Also, our your iPhone volume to max. This seems like bad integration to me. I still think Bluetooth is a better solution than aux jack. A2DP profile is needed. The new CX9's BT support A2DP profile (w/ GT model, I think)

Be careful when you switch it back to other sources (CD or FM), it may become too loud. :mad:
  • RTCoxRTCox Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2008 CX-9 GT from a non-Mazda dealer. It has moonroof, 6 CD changer, some type of upgraded Bose system, no MP3 logo, no nav, DVD players in the headrests, a cable in the glove box which must plug into a phone or iPod?, no satellite antenna on the rear of the vehicle, an antenna on the uppoer windshield which looks like the XM antenna on my Subaru, a Bluetooth phone button on the steering wheel... which I think is all of the relevant info. Nearest Mazda dealer is 2 hours away.

The questions are: do I have satellite radio? If I hit the SAT button, it does nothing.

Is the antenna on the windshield for the Bluetooth?

What is the cable in the glove box?
  • spikerguyspikerguy Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 2008 Mazda cx9 GT. The bluetooth set=up went OK. I would like to use the IPod portion of the phone through the AUX jack but also want to have sirius radio installed to play throught he Bose Radio system. What do I need to do? What needs to be installed?
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    They are mutually exclusive. I believe if you add the Sirius, you lose the AUX port functionality. There is a switchbox that get's added by the dealer but I think you still lose the AUX port for your Ipod.
  • kelzz3kelzz3 Member Posts: 8
    When I try to put in a new number it keeps thinking that when I say 4 that it's * it's driving me insane. Any suggestions? Thank you
    Some suggestions
    - turn off A/C
    - park the vehicle
    - speak in medium speed (not too slow, not too fast)

I had no problem entering numbers. It takes some practices. But once you get one in, you know the right speed of speaking. A/C blowing can interfere the microphone reception.
  • bbslinbbslin Member Posts: 4
    I think my 08 GT bluetooth does not have bluetooth audio feature in 09. Could I get bluetooth audio feature just by software upgrade or I need to upgrade the hardware as well? How can I get the upgrade?
  • robergrrobergr Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the 2009 CX-9 and I activated the six-month Sirius account. Being a XM subscriber, I tried to get the "Best of XM" added to my subscription. I was able to do so online, however after activation I cannot tune to any of the "Best of XM" channels. I have talked to Sirius customer service several times, but have had no luck. My only course of action is to get it to the dealer and see if they can fix it. Has anyone else tried to get the "Best of XM" added to their Sirius subscription on a Mazda Sisurs Radio?
  • newatzoomzoomnewatzoomzoom Member Posts: 3
    That happens not just with your Mazda, but most everywhere, you need to get an additional cable, I got the input at the Apple retail store, get a Monster iCableLink
    for about $10.00 you will fix the problem.
  • zaheerzaheer Member Posts: 23
    Hello,

I just picked up a CX-9 today with the Rear Seat Entertainment System / Bose Audio and the GT Assistance Package and found out that the CD Changer is no longer there since the car has the GT Assistance package. The car I test drove had a 6-Disc CD Changer but no Navigation. Adding the Navigation apparently downgraded the CD Changer to a single CD player.

Does anyone have the detailed information on this ? It is disappointing to pay for an upgraded Bose stereo, DVD and Navigation and lose the CD Changer. Any ideas or suggestions on getting a CD Changer integrated will be appreciated.

Zack
    Just reviewed the CX-9 Sales brochure for the 09 CX-9 and the feature/functionality matrix clearly states 6CD is not available with Touring Assistance or Grand Touring assistance package. Not sure why they do this. No one has pointed this out before.

However, who needs CDs when you have the iPod AUX or integration kit? Many more options with an old IPod sitting in the center console.

Congrats on the new CX-9, I'm about to pull the trigger on a CX-7 for the wife.
  • zaheerzaheer Member Posts: 23
    You are right about the brochure. It does mention the unavailability of the CD changer in a footnote. My mistake in not reading all the footnotes.

You would think that they could have put the CD Changer in the trunk with the Subwoofer when you upgrade to the Bose sound system. I am bummed out about the fact that I have a great sound system but have to keep inserting individual CDs. The iPod option is ok but I still prefer the sound reproduction from CDs. I hope that Mazda will address this issue in future models.
    Upgrading to NAVI also gives your CD changer the capability to read MP3 disc. This is not so for non-NAVI version, I think. Look for a small logo of MP3 at top left corner of the CD slot. You can burn 200 songs onto 1 disc with 128kps.

I agree. To picky ears, the SN ratio of CD is still better than 128kps. Raising it to 256kps will be very close, though. Higher bit rate gives you better reproduction of high frequency sound. :)
  • nunman216nunman216 Member Posts: 1
    so we just got a brand new 2009cx9 with thebluetooth and bose and sunroof and leather, the whole shabang... i have an iphone 3gs and got the phone to make calls through the cars bluetooth, but when i go to the ipod section of the phone and choose a song then choose my mazda as the speaker output, nothing plays through the car. how do i select the iphone through my mazda? i got the phone to select the mazda. please help as this is driving me freaking nuts.
  • mvelosomveloso Member Posts: 9
    Apparently only the Nav system CX-9s can do Bluetooth/A2DP. I'm using my AUX input, which is fine...but it definitely would be more convenient with A2DP.
    The quality of A2DP depends on the chip implementation and protocol negotiated between both parties. In the worst case, there must be a commonly accepted protocol, which has so-so quality. If both can accept a higher-end protocol, the quality can be better. In general, CD will still outperform. High bps MP3 may come in second, then A2DP.

Besides, A2DP drains battery joice like crazy. Your cell phone better be plugged in when you do that. In that case, what is the point?
  • redheat13redheat13 Member Posts: 1
    How do you disconnect the SAT and re-connect the AUX jack? Is it true you cant have use of Aux jack if you have the Nav system? thanks in advance.
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    what year CX-9 do you have? 2009 should have no problems with this (at least mine doesn't).
    For 2007/8 models, you will need a "switch box" in order to have both co-exist.
    Here is a link to one.
    You need to get behind the center console to install.
    It is probably too much for people who don't enjoy DIY.
    http://www.mazdaparts.org/switching-box.html
  • redbull22redbull22 Member Posts: 4
    what if I don't want them to co-exist and I just want the aux port to work? on my cx9 2007?
    Your amplifier has one input. There are two input sources (aux and Sirrus). Therefore, a switch box is needed to handle both (automatically or manually).
    If you don't care about the Sirrus, you still need someone to hook it up correctly.
    That means labot cost. :(
  • tomw5tomw5 Member Posts: 9
    Until I received my new blackberry, I never had to say my passcode when accessing the phone. Now I do, and I can't find anything that describes the process to program the system so it doesn't ask me for it. How can I do that? I don't want to have to provide that every time I want to use the phone or receive a call.
    this sounds unusual as i do not have to do this for my iPhone. perhaps it is a blackberry thing...look through your settings on the phone. you do need to use the passcode to pair the cellphone with the bluetooth (BT) in the car, but once paired, the BT and the phone should find eachother automatically when you start the car.
  • wdhytewdhyte Member Posts: 92
    try setting the phone to 'always available' so as soon as you get in your connected and dont' get prompted for anyting. at least it worked for me but i'm not using a b'berry either...so maybe it's just RIM having run with ya ;)
  • hosel_rockethosel_rocket Member Posts: 3
    I have been a Sirius subscriber for 3 years and just took delivery of an 09 CX9. When I called Sirius/XM to get the Best of XM activated I was told by customer service that the factory installed radio could not accept the Best of XM upgrade.
    I got an 09 CX9 in June and at the time had a Motorola Q with Verizon. The Q sync'd with the bluetooth hands-free feature easily for phone calls. Two weeks ago I ditched the Q for an iPhone (AT&T naturally). I cannot for the life of me get the iPhone to sync up with the CX9. The phone recognizes the car as 'Mazda' appears on the screen when attempting to connect but each try is met with 'connection attempt failed' or some such. VERY frustrating. I deleted the previous phones sync'd with the CX9 (my old Q and my wife's LG) but still got the same result.

Bueller....anyone?
    strange...my iphone 3G works perfectly fine (although recently i had to unpair/repair due to some technical difficulties). do you have a Nav screen (GT Assist)? if so, try to do it thru the nav screen. if not, attempt a reboot of your 3G and start from scratch. i do not believe it is an issue with the Mazda bluetooth inherently or else mine wouldn't have paired (but it does).
    I have an 08 CX-9 AWD GT and have been using my BB 8830 world edition for 18 months. Only the first time during setup did I have to pair the phone with a passcode. After that, I just press the phone call, it connects to "Blackberry" and I can make calls.

I have the wife's IPhone 3G also paired to my 08 CX-9 and her 09-CX7 without any problems. The NAV system works identical in both cars and work just fine.
  • ChillyWilly08ChillyWilly08 Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a beautiful 07 with blue tooth. Was able to pair phone, identify primer user, but can't enter my phone numbers. Prompts say I need the use the correct phrases to do this and my owner's manual, which discusses other information re: BT, does not mention a thing about phrases needed to enter phone numbers into address phone.

Where can one find this information? I'd like to be able to just say "Call" and state the person's name. At this point in time, I can only say "dial" and try to remember everyone's number. That's a challenge. The brain gets lazy after so many years of just telling your phone to call someone by name.

Thanks for any info on this topic.
    If I remember it correctly, the "phonebook entry" is the last one on the main manu.
    Just follow the voice prompt. With all my contacts, I only say
    "Call John", it repeats "Call John. Is this correct?" and you answer "yes/no".
  • vicks2020vicks2020 Member Posts: 1
    Wrong. It can. I have an '09 CX9 GT AWD w/ NAVI. I just did all this! Once you're signed up for the Best of XM, you have to reset Sirius. I looked online and found the solution. You have to open the fuse box in engine area (it's above the left wheel). Engine off. Look for the fuse labeled ROOM. Remove it with the fuse puller in fuse box. Leave it out for about 15 mins. Plug fuse back in. Sirius will rest itself when you turn on engine. You will have to set all you favorite channels again, so write them down before you remove the fuse. Also, make sure you have a clear view to the sky.
  • wdhytewdhyte Member Posts: 92
    not sure if the 09 BT is the same as the 07 BT but in the 09 manual it lists all the phrases that are used to 'train' the system...the 3 most important I saw are 'dial' (a number you give it), 'call' (a phone book entry), and 'setup'. Go up on the mazda site and download the 09 owners manual...it has an extensive BT section in it.
  • ChillyWilly08ChillyWilly08 Member Posts: 4
    Found this via the Mazda website for voice training BT on the 07

NOTE
    After user voice registration is completed,
    voice guidance “Speaker enrollment is
    complete, returning to main menu” is
    announced.
    14 (888) 555-1212
    15 0123456789
    16 55 66 77 88 99
    17 44 33 22 11 00
    18 Call 293-5804
    19 Call *350
    20 Call 1 (234) 567-8901
    21 Dial 639-1542
    22 Dial #780
    23 Dial (987) 654-3210
    24 1058# 3794# Send
    25 27643# 4321# Send
    26 Cancel
    27 Continue
    28 Emergency
    29 Erase All
    30 Help
    31 Home, Work, Mobile,
    Pager
    32 List Names
    33 No
    34 Phonebook: Delete
    35 Phonebook: New Entry
    36 Previous
    37 Phonebook: Erase All
    38 Redial
    39 Retrain
    40 Setup Confirmation
    Prompts
    41 Setup Language
    42 Setup Pairing Options
    43 Pair A Phone
    44 Transfer Call
    45 Yes
    ▼ DTMF (dual tone multi-frequency
    signal) transmission
    This function is used when transmitting
    DTMF via the user's voice. The receiver
    of a DTMF transmission is generally a
    home telephone answering machine or a
    company's automated guidance call
    jcpharm -

thank you, it worked. dial tone/ring volume and call conversation volume are a few clicks off, no big deal.

Cheers!
  • buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    Hi
    I have a 2010 Touring CX9. I've paired my Motorola RAZR V3 successfully but actually having some problem using the BT feature. When making a call, I am able to hear the other party thru the car's speakers but they are not able to hear me. What might be the issue ?

Similarly when I get a call, the touchscreen shows the correct incoming number but when I pickup the call, I don't hear the person at the other end of the line.

Is there a setting I'm missing or is it possible that the version of BT on the car is not supported by my phone (I doubt it though because with version issues I would not have been able to hear the othe person when I make a call)

Any help is appreciated.
    I had a Moto V3xx from ATT a year ago.
    It worked perfectly with my 2008 CX9.

For BT, one needs to identify first which party is at fault.
    Step #1, borrow another phone with BT to pair and try. If same problem, then, the problem lies likely on CX9's BT. If not, it is in your phone. Either way, you know where to go for fixes.
    Actually my BT works fine now both incoming and outgoing, without my doing any further tweaking. Once or twice the call dropped but of course that could be due to weak signals in the area I was passing through.
    Has anyone experienced any issues with listening to iPod/MP3 player via AUX i/p ? Does it work "out of the box" simply via the 1/8 inch mini stereo plug or are any tweaks/additional equipment needed ?

thanks
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    Just plug your mini stereo cable to the AUX inlet inside the armrest and you iPod (MP3 player) and select MEDIA on your radio and voila!!

Do not charge your MP3 player at the same time that you are playing it, because you will experience an annoying engine noise interference...its a known problem and Mazda's solution was to simply not charge and play at the same time..go figure!
    thanks vg33e. Worked like a charm, sounds great. But I think Mazda definitely needs to offer a better solution for future CX9s - i.e play and charge at the same time. My iPod Touch lasts several hours before needing a re-charge but with older MP3 players it might be an issue.
    there are dock connecting/chargers/AUX input accessories from third-parties out there by belkin, kensington, etc. at least for ipod/iphones that serve that purpose. a quick search on amazon.com will get you 20-30 options.
    Folks -I'm hoping someone out there can help me with a strange problem I'm having with Bluetooth hands free calling.
    1) When making a call I say "Dial" (or "Call" and say a name from the phonebook) and speak a number.
    2) The voice prompt repeats the number and then asks me to press the "pickup" button to start dialling.
    3) After pressing the pickup button the display screen shows "Dialling" but after that I don't hear the called person's phone ringing, although the call is going through. I know that the call is going through from just looking at my cell phone screen.
    4) Then when the called person picks up the phone my BT display screen goes blank and the other person cannot hear me and I cannot hear the other person.

Note: There is no problem with making a call if you actually dial the digits from the cellphone. The called person's ringing phone is heard on the car's speakers and when the called person picks up, the conversation proceeds without any issues.

Anyone experienced anything similar ?

Thanks
    Mazda customer service replied via email that a soft reset of the cell phone might help. I hardly think that is the solution but will give it a try
  • onepeopleonepeople Member Posts: 11
    Even stranger still: in my case, I have an '08 Touring. I had no engine noise when charging and playing when I first got the vehicle. There was a TSB last year concerning a "coil harness" in the armrest power socket. I had this TBS fixed, and NOW I get the feedback/noise when charging and playing! Sometimes, it pays to leave things alone I guess....So now I just use play.
    Ceric,
    I think the problem is with my Motorola Razr V3. I paired my wife's Nokia 6133 and it has no issues with incoming and outgoing calls. Not sure what is the issue with the Razr. Will try talking to the service provider(T-Mobile)
    The problem does not seem to be with the car's BT system because when I paired another phone (Nokia 6133) everything works fine. Called T Mobile and they asked me to do a factory reset on the Razr V3. Maybe I should just chuck my V3 and get an iPhone.
  • hdroadkinghdroadking Member Posts: 2
    Hi,I am looking to purchase a 2010 GT CX-9 w/bk-up camera.Does the IMC pkg include ICD pkg w/rearview camera.Will the camera screen show through the information dash unit like it does w/ NV3 navi pkg. or only in rearview mirror? If only in the rearview mirror,do any of you have this system .Can you tell me about it? I'm not interested in getting the navi pkg. and would like to know if the rearview system shows a broad enough view behind the car to help in parallel parking.I'm looking to purchase car soon and need to know before I search for Dealer quotes.
    If you have NAVI system, it is displayed in the screen.
    If you don't, it is displayed in the rearview mirror.