Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Audio, iPod, Bluetooth, MP3, AUX questions

Comments

• melmonmelmon Member Posts: 1
    New to this forum and I just bought a used 08 CX9 w nav, sat and dvd. Love the car and performance went I plugged my IPOD into the aux port , all that I got was a screen that says RSES. How can I get my ipod to work? Finally has someone hooked up Satellite TV? Thanks in advance.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2010
    You said, you have Sat Radio?
    For 2008 model, due to a design over-look, you would need a "switch box" to be able to use the Aux Input. The simple answer is that there is one input port on the head unit. It can't handle both inputs (Sat Radio and Aux Input). The Sat Radio has already taken over the port when it was installed. Now, if you install a switch box to handle both, you can have both working for you.

See here.
    http://www.mazdaparts.org/switching-box.html
    (same part for many models - CX9 included)

Models of 2009 and beyond has no such problem because Mazda "fixed" it.
    Or, "enhanced" it depending on how you look at "things"... :P
  • chippingchipping Member Posts: 6
    Yes, I realized recently that my auxiliary input wouldn't work on my 2008 CX-9 as well. Customer Service stonewalled, so I contacted corporate and they sent me $100.00 in gift certificates to apply toward the fix, "in appreciation of my service history at my local dealership". In any event, I appreciate that I received some help and plan to have the switch installed, but am unsure of the final cost at this point. I really feel strongly that Mazda should make good on the fix 100%. Good luck.
  • wdhytewdhyte Member Posts: 92
    is anybody else as unimpressed by the audio system as I am?
    we have the 09 w/the moonroof and 6 CD in dash changer (non nav version)...has the 9 or 10 speakers througout the cabin and the large subwoofer in the back (dont have the specs right here in front of me).
    Tell ya what, unless I have something seriously hozed, the stock 4 speaker non-BOSE system in my 2001 F150 blows this one away. All this hype about BOSE and I just don't hear it...is it me or the system? whacha all think?
    ...Dave
    I am not a big fan of Bose, but if you think this Bose system on CX9 is bad, try to the one on the Prius! :mad:
  • wdhytewdhyte Member Posts: 92
    I love having the SAT radio and lots of choices by having something plugged in to the aux too but the overall system performace sucks (sound/quality wise). I think its seriously overhyped as brands go. I know my old AR speakers out perform my friends BOSE on home systems so I guess I shouldn't be surprised their vehicle system is so lame. Maxda would be better served (and their customers as well) if they dumped the expensive BOSE smack and went for a competive high end system that offered more functional features within the system (HD radio, mixer/equalizer, etc). Ah well...at least it works eh
  • nswartzbnswartzb Member Posts: 40
    did you ever find out (or does anyone know) how to play music from an ipod using bluetooth?
    thnx
    -nswartzb
  • nswartzbnswartzb Member Posts: 40
    also my cx-9 is a 2008, so i don't know if there are special if that makes a difference for connecting an iphone or ipod touch to play music.
  • zoom3rzoom3r Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    On a 2010 CX9, all I had to do was pair my iPhone to the system (we have the Nav unit) and as long as your iPhone/iPod supports A2DP (Iphone 3G/3Gs does), you can then hit the source button and choose BT Audio as your source. Then your iPhone is playing through the stereo. You won't get any ID3 tags/playlist features this way, but you can control that via your iPhone and just play through your speakers with this method.

If you want full iPod integration....you need the iPod integration module. Mine is being installed right now in fact.
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    It's you.

OK - it might not be the absolute business, but it's really good. Certainly better than the stock 4-speaker system in a 2001 F150. Are you listening to an Ipod through the Aux-in? That might be the problem - I've heard it's not a good connection.

What specifically do you dislike about it?
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    Well... I don't have an '01 F-150 for comparison, but the "Audiophile" system in my '03 Focus SVT blows the Bose in our CX-9 GT away. The Mazda is an '08 with Nav and overall, I'd say the system rates a C-. Sound quality is no better than average, Mazda's NAV, at least in '08 was terrible and the functionality of the audio controls with the Navigation system would make the engineer of i-Drive proud. The audio/Nav is really the only negative thing about the CX-9, but it definitely does not do justice to the overall quality and usability of the vehicle.
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    I think C- is very harsh - it's a really good sounding system. I also have a Ford Audiophile system, in a 2008 Taurus Ltd, and that is excellent - I'd say a tad better than the CX-9 Bose system. The CX-9 Bose is still very good. Play around with the seetings a little - I have both bass and treble up two nothces
    If the Bose system on CX9 is a C-, there are lots lots of D and F on the market. For example, the stereo systems on a typical Toyota is pure trash (F) by that standard. If you don't believe me, try the Bose system in a Gen-II Prius.
    My wife has one ("upgraded Bose" system). The difference is night and day.
  • mattyp1mattyp1 Member Posts: 1
    Just got the CX 9 with NAV package and have been exploring the Sirius radio functions. One of these functions is Memory--and I have used it to successfully "remember" a few tunes I was listening to. Question: Does this function serve to somehow "record" the songs in memory for access at any time? I've tried to reaccess these songs moments after they were played, but to no avail. Thanks for any assistance.
  • sage11sage11 Member Posts: 2
    Would you be kind of enough to let me know how your iPod integration module went? I am thinking of it installed in my CX-9. However, now I am having issues with my iPhone bluetooth being connected to the system (Nav unit). It seems to lose memory of the pairing after I had the heating unit replaced under the seats... which could just be a coincidence....
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    I agree there are lots of D & F on the market. I also know that sound quality as well as user interface are a highly subjective topic. What sounds great to me may be garbage to someone else. Also, I'm comparing the Bose/Nav upgraded unit, which Mazda charges a substantial sum for. I'm simply stating that for a relatively upscale car, with a further upgraded audio system, the Mazda/Bose with Nav is average at best. Compare it to a JBL/Nav in a Toyota or the Nissan/Infiniti systems with Bose and thats my comparison point. Even the new Ford/Sony as in the Flex are much better than the Mazda/Bose, especially for the money.
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    i occasionally encounter issues with my iPhone and the mazda bluetooth most notably when the two are paired, then i leave the car with the engine on but take the phone out of range of the mazda, they lose their connection, i then go back and the car fails to re-pair with the phone. this wouldn't be such an issue if it weren't for the fact that when i plug the iphone into my AUX jack, it causes the sound output to drop/lapse as if it just goes quiet at 5 second intervals killing my listening experience. i then have to go through the trouble of unpairing the iPhone and re-setting the pairing thru my mazda. it only takes 1-2 minutes to do, but a pain nonetheless. i don't know if it's specific for my iPhone since i haven't tried to pair any other phones to my CX-9.
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    I got a hold of a slightly used 2010 CX-9 Bose CD-Changer unit. Does anyone here know if I can connect it to my 2007 non-Bose equipped CX-9? I was able to connect it and mount it and it powers up fine. However, when I turn up the volume it only goes up to one level (low) no matter if it is at level 1 or level 30. It also does not sound clear, sort of staticky. If anyone out there knows what I have to do to make this head unit work properly I would greatly appreciate it. If I can't make it work, I will have a 2010 Mazda CX-9 Bose CD-Changer/MP3 head unit for sale.
  • zoomzoomcx9zoomzoomcx9 Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2008 CX9 and like many other love the car. However, I would like to understand three items:
    First:
    Can the dealer disconnect the the Input that is occupied by Sirius radio and "reconnect" the Aux-In cord or must you purchase the Switchbox?

Second:
    It was mentioned in this thread that you could connect using Bluetooth. I have connected the phone HTC EVO and the phone part works fine. This particular phone has stereo Bluetooth and should connect and play Pandora or other music on the phone. I often use this functionality on rental cars and it works fine! Is this possible for the 08 model. If yes, please provide the instructions?

Third,
    Has anyone upgraded the GPS Software / Map - is the GPS experience better with the Upgrade?
  • charroncscharroncs Member Posts: 1
    For some reason, if I'm listening to my ipod running through the aux input when the car is not running and then start the car, I have to unplug the cord from my ipod and then plug it back in for the music to come through the speakers again. I don't get it. The ipod is showing that the song is still playing and not on pause. Anyone else have this problem?
  • fantfant Member Posts: 25
    Looking at purchasing a new 2010 cx9 with bose audio. I have an iphone4. A few questions if anyone knows:

1) If using BT audio, can the steering wheel controls skip track?
    2) If using BT audio, is audio sent at line level so that the amp in the car can control volume or does the iphone volume control still work? Trying to determine if BT audio is clean as line level

Otherwise i'm thinking of adding the ipod integration ... its sad that in 2010 mazda doesnt have a usb ipod connection standard ...
  • jorges1jorges1 Member Posts: 6
    BT in CX9GT is neat. Currently using w/regular dump cellphone. Just have phone 'on' in car & do nothing w/phone. Incoming calls will be announced by BT & you just click on tab on steering wheel to connect. Incoming & outgoing volume adjusted w/radio knob on dash. It's that simple.
    Outgoing calls just as easy after you follow setup procedure for inputting phone 'name' & companion phone 'number'. Volume again controlled by radio knob.
    Hope that helps.
    Excellent feature.
    What about the BT Audio? is that controlled by the steering wheels?
  • zak43zak43 Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2010 cx9 and updated my iphone4 to 4.1 (with supposedly enhanced AVRCP functions) and repaired and while i can stream audio still no play/pause/next track/prev track/ or title information. Do the enhanced functions work for anyone else on any other phone?
  • sage11sage11 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue... It thought the 4.1 update would fix the so called lack of AVRCP functionality... I have to operate the functions through my iphone vs the NAV screen.... Really am disappointed.. Let me know if you find the fix. Thanks!
  • mazdartmazdart Member Posts: 2
    First time Mazda owner! Picked up 2010 Mazda cx9 yesterday. Today the audio doesn't work....radio and all sound components do not turn on, including the Bluetooth via the steering wheel. Checked the fuse....suv only has 80 miles on it! My Acura lasted longer! Any ideas before i call the dealer?
    thanks
    Its gotta be something simple .... call the dealer
  • mazdartmazdart Member Posts: 2
    Hi - Ended up at the dealer and they have to order a new Front Panel.....if I bang on it the radio and the "HELLO" appear only to have it go quiet again....so the dealer will order a new CHASSIS......
    Thanks
    Art
    With just 80 miles, you can probably just ask for a new car rather than a "fixed" one. There is no reason you should have to wait for a fix when you are within your window of returning the car (which i think most states is 2-3 days?).
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    With just 80 miles, you can probably just ask for a new car rather than a "fixed" one. There is no reason you should have to wait for a fix when you are within your window of returning the car (which i think most states is 2-3 days?).

Nope - unless the dealer has such a policy, there is not such thing as a return window on a car. Once it's over the curb, you own it.
    Within 3 days, you could return the vehicle and get a refund.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Within 3 days, you could return the vehicle and get a refund.

Sorry that's not the case unless the dealer or brand have that sort of offer.
    edited September 2010
    I did more study into this. So here it goes...

>> California's 3-day right to rescind some contracts does not apply to automobile purchase and lease agreements, but fraud or misrepresentation during the sale negotiations can provide the basis to rescind the contract and get your money back.

So, neither of us are 100% correct. It is possible to return the vehicle if there was a fraud or misrepresentation in the purchase process. Guess not.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't know of any US state with a "3 day rule" for buying cars. There are ways to unwind deals however. But it's rarely easy.

What's the cooling off period to back out of my car purchase?
  • mgtcx9mgtcx9 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have a 2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring with Bluetooth (no navigation or Bose) and I have a 3G iPhone I am trying to pair with it. My iPhone recognizes my Mazda Bluetooth, and I can pair the two, but when I press the "phone" button on my steering wheel, I can't hear anything. The system is supposed to beep and give prompts, but it doesn't. My radio display shows the Bluetooth is connected but all the radio display shows is "Listening" and "Help". Thus, I can't hear any prompts to pair my phone, dial a number, or anything else. Does anyone know what to do in this situation?
    Thanks.
  • jorges1jorges1 Member Posts: 6
    I have same model but w/nav & Bose. But that shouldn't matter.
    My wife's 'dumb' phone works perfectly. We turn her phone on & stash it. Incoming announced w/beep/alert & I just press button on wheel & chat. For outgoing, I just hit button & do one of two things: 1) quickly announce 'name' & it dials & connects automatically; or 2) if I'm slow, menu prompts kick in & I follow.
    iPhone listed as OK to use on Mazda website. Unsure of 3G.
    Thats because the system is listening to your command. Its not suppose to prompt you of what you would like to do. Press the phone button and once the Listening prompt comes up on your radio start talking. Read you owners manual and it will tell you that that is the way the system suppose to work.
    edited October 2010
    I am with davicho.
    Press the "phone" button. Once the "Listening" prompt shows up, say something like...
    "Call 'wife'"
    "Dial 1-523-123-4567"
    "call' and "dial" do the same thing.
    A short pause after "call" and "dial" does not hurt, either.
  • gusbufgusbuf Member Posts: 74
    edited October 2010
    Hello everyone. About to turn in our 2008 CX9 for a 2010 GT AWD CX9. Looking at getting the add-on Ipod integration module. I have read that in previous years, this add-on module only allowed for basic ipod integration through the sound system. DOes anyoen know if the new 2010 modules allow for more Ipod function control through the car's radio, i.e. access directly to artists, songs, playlists, etc? Thanks for any and all help/opinions.
  • svenfly2svenfly2 Member Posts: 2
    I also just bought a new 2010 CX-9 and noticed a very high pitch sounds inside the car anytime the engine is running. I did some research and some owners had issues with the AUX setting, something where the audio was searching for a bluetooth conection. Does anyone hear a similar noise? I have taken it to the dealer 3 times, each time they put in a new fuel pump, thinking that was the noise. 1 out of 5 techs can only hear the high pitch sound in the first place, so that's why it's hard to troubleshoot. Sure could use any ideas, thanks.
  • rjp62133rjp62133 Member Posts: 1
    I just did the same. i got a bose factory with 6 disc to upgrade my non-bose single disc player. same problem, volume will not move, all other functions work. i beleive the solution is that the bose equipt vehicles have an amplifier built into the wiring harness of the vehicle. non bose vehicles are missing this. you can purchase the amplifier that connects to the vehicle for $180.00. double check with mada to see if they sell this, i saw one for sale on ebay a few weeks ago.
    I didn't want to hassle with it, so I sold my Bose head unit on eBay a while back. Eventually I may just go the aftermarket route and hook up an amp to my OEM head unit and upgrade the speakers.
    Yah i have the bose and while i would rather have a usb connection, i'm satisfied with the quality thru bluetooth. Just need to get a good dock that will charge the iphone and allow me to control music easily from it. $400-$500 or whatever they are charging is way to much to add the ipod integration. I bet the 2011 model will have it built in.
  • bababooey2010bababooey2010 Member Posts: 6
    Just got the 2010 CX9 GT without nav and from what I can tell, there is no way to stream audio through bluetooth? The handsfree phone works great, but the manual says the bluetooth audio only works with the navigation :(

My husband's 2009 Mazda6 doesn't have Nav and it can stream audio.

Bummed.
    You don't need nav for BT audio. I have the Bose non-nav and I have BT audio
  • bababooey2010bababooey2010 Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2010
    Ok thanks - ours still isn't Bose but we will try again to see if it works.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    BT audio is only available on Type B audio systems (Bose with or without Nav). Type A audio systems (non-Bose) do not have BT audio. I have the Type A audio system also and I was convinced that it had BT audio but the manual said otherwise.

As a consolation, BT audio has been reported to consume more power, thus shortening the battery life of your device. And apparently, BT audio sound quality is not as good as using the Auxiliary input.
    Sorry to hear about that ... But since you didn't get Bose it will be easier for you to swap out the entire unit with an aftermarket one that has USB which is the best. I didn't want bose but had to get it for moonroof and liftgate
    WOW! Iam amazed at how many people are disatisfied with the Bose system in CX9. I have Type A (non-Bose) and I dont think is horrible but I also think is not the best either. I guess I would have to hear both systems back to back to listen to the difference...anyone here have had both that can chime in and tell us about the difference in sound quality, loudness, etc.????