Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Audio, iPod, Bluetooth, MP3, AUX questions

denyrunnerdenyrunner Member Posts: 5
When I plug my MP3 into the aux port in the center console, I only get a single channel. I have changed cords and I either get one channel or the other depending on the cord. Does anyone know why or do I need to purchase a certain cord to satify the aux input port?

Comments

• thefreysthefreys Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a Mazda cx-9 with a factory DVD system. I am unable to play my ipod thru the radio and do not know why. Can anyone help? It tells me to run it thru the radios auxiallary, but it looks like the DVD system won't allow me to.

Thanks,

Steve
  • tstormytstormy Member Posts: 6
    I don't have the DVD system but the bose/moon roof option but I had a similar problem.

I noticed the sound weak and then figured out the sub-woofer was not working. Then found the sub was unplugged. I had to take the back floor panel out (easy) and plugged the sub in. Plugging the sub in enabled the AUX jack to work.
  • srinaldisrinaldi Member Posts: 22
    What did you use to plug the Ipod into the auxillary jack? Is there a Mazda patch cable? I just bought our 07 Grand Touring and would like to use my Ipod.
    I purchased from Apple a mini stereo cable. One end plugs into the Ipod and the other in the Auxillary jack in the middle consol between the driver and passenger. You are supposed be able to run it thru the Auxillary function of the car stereo. Hopefully you have better luck than me. My fear is that the DVD system in my car is using the Auxillary port and won't allow my ipod to work!
  • srinaldisrinaldi Member Posts: 22
    How much was the cable through Apple? Does it just plug into the headphone port on the Ipod? If so, there is a vendor on Ebay selling them for $6.99 shipped. He appears to have very good feedback and sold tons of them.
    I purchased mine at an APPLE store for $19.99 plus tax. But as i mentioned in my original inquiry, it doesn't work.
  • jamueljamuel Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a CX-9 with the navigation system, Sirius satellite radio, and Moonroof w/Bose audio package. The first thing I did was to plug in my ipod to the auxiliary audio input jack and guess what? IT DOESN'T WORK! The dealership contacted Mazda's support desk and they were told that the auxiliary input will not work with the navigation system.

Looking closely in the console area where the input jack is located there is a sticker that says: "Due to the installation of Satellite radio on this vehicle, the Auxiliary jack is disabled. To activate the auxiliary jack, part number TD13-79-CFZ (switching box) can be installed. Please see your Mazda dealer for further information”. OK, so I go back to the dealership and they say they can order the part and install it for around $175.00 but cannot guarantee it will work because Mazda tech support says it won’t.

Is there anyone who has been able to get the auxiliary input to work along with the navigation/satellite radio options?
  • branchburgbranchburg Member Posts: 3
    Hi, picked up my CX-9 on Wednesday (March 7) I have exactly the same options you have. When they installed my Sirius system, they put in the switching box because they knew I wanted the iPod hookup and it works fine. They didn't charge me $175 either. What doesn't work is my am/fm reception because the antenna was disconnected by accident. When my plates come in they'll fix that.

Hope that helps

Paul
    Hey Paul,
    Thanks for the info. Because you said it worked I ordered one and had it installed yesterday (03/16/07). It works great. Doesn't play video but does play my music. :shades:

I'm wondering if the iPod module would now work? The switch box is great but if the module worked it would charge the ipod as well as play it. And I would bet it would display the ipod info on the nav screen.

If anyone tries it let me know.
  • bfeldstein1bfeldstein1 Member Posts: 14
    Did you finally get your iPod to work? If so, how dod you do that?
    Yes I got my iPod to work.

Take a look at the first post of this thread. I had the switch box installed by my local dealer.
  • bfeldstein1bfeldstein1 Member Posts: 14
    So this is my understanding; please correct me if I'm wrong.
    If you have nav and sat radio, the aux jack only works if you install switch box. If you install switch box, can you also install iPod integration module? The integration module would allow you to control iPod through steering wheel controls and would also charge the iPod.
    All I can say is that with the switch box my ipod works along with the nav/sat. I don't know if the module will work. I don't have it installed. I was asking if anyone has tried it yet.
  • lwolf99lwolf99 Member Posts: 83
    Hello. Looking for a little iPod info...

We recently looked at a Mazda CX9. Salesman said there was a mini-jack connection between the driver and passenger seat to connect my iPod. It seemed to work okay, but I was hoping that, in a new $40,000 vehicle, that I would be able to connect to the 30-pin connection at the bottom of my iPod - so that it could be charged, and I was also hoping that that I could use the audio controls in the vehicle to skip between sounds (instead of having to mess with my iPod while driving).

The salesman said there was no option for this. But today I received the CX9 brochure that I ordered from the Mazda website, and it has a sectiom that talks about an Apple iPod Integration Module. It shows an iPod with a cable being connected to the 30-pin interface.

Does anyone have this feature? Is it a factory option? Dealer add-on? Can you use the steering wheel controls to skip thru songs?

Any info that anyoen can suplpy would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    We now have them available at the dealerships... haven't installed one on the cx-9 yet... but have done so on the mx5/miata... they work great...

"Switching box - Required
    when auxilary console input
    and iPod Integration Module,
    PhatNoise or SIRIUS are
    installed"
    imamg,

Thanks. Just so I am clear...with the iPod Integration module, are you able to beform some basic functions, like skip to the next song, from the controls on the radio and/or steering while?
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    According to this article from apple you should be able to perform functions like song selection, shuffle etc using the car's controls.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/aug/03ipod.html
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    The short answer is yes. Read the CX-7 iPod thread: a few people have installed the OEM box and posted there, myself included. Not the same car, but the same module.

-c92
    Thanks!
  • boardsboards Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Does anyone know if it is possible to unlock access to non North American region codes (eg. Play discs that aren't region 1). We have just moved to the US from the UK and my son's favorite DVDs are encoded for the UK.

Failing knowing how to unlock the DVD regions, does anyone know the OEM manufacturer / model of the DVD unit?
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    A tech might be able to able to do a software change. Otherwise, it might be cheaper to re-burn your DVDs with a program that can change/remove the lock.
    Every time I use the steering wheel controls to adjust the radio it beeps to confirm the change. After 3 months of constantly changing the volume or station I'm about ready to find the engineer that thought this was a good idea and tell him to shove his beeper where the sun don't shine. Seriously, this is driving me crazy! Does anyone know how to turn this beeping beeper off?
    I've the nav system like you...and it gets (got) on my nerves too... what you do is go thru the "display" system controls on screen... to turn the beep off...

Marinmazdasubaru@yahoo.com
    Thanks, that works!

I had already turned of the beep on the nav system but never knew how to do it with the audio system. YOU JUST MADE MY DAY :)
    whoo whoooo.... Like I said before... Mazda's bringin Cx (y) back ... yeah... enjoy y our car...and your weekend... !
  • 7seatershopper7seatershopper Member Posts: 20
    I haven't found any information on the website whether their CD player can play MP3 CDs or not. I know it has a separate IPOD jack, but I want to know if I burn MP3s on a CD, can I play it in the car or not. I asked the salesman and he did not know either. The brochure does not specify explicitly.

Some current owners, please comment.

I'm looking for the one in Sport model, but welcome responses with a 6-CD changer or other premium audio options as well.
  • todostodos Member Posts: 13
    yes it does. I confirmed this last week when I burned several mp3's to CD's went to my CX9 and it played without a problem. My vehicle is a touring, 3 weeks old
    If you haven't already... download the owners manual pdf... it's much easier to get around... it explains everything about using mp3 cd's... file management..etc...
    Thanks to both the responses so far.

I cannot find the owner's manual on their website so far. I found the Complete Features and Specs page, but that has only the following information:

Standard:
    AM/FM Radio with CD and 6 speaker sound system

Package:
    AM/FM radio with CD changer and 10 speaker Bose® sound system with Centerpoint® and surround sound
    AM/FM Radio with CD changer, 11 speaker Bose sound system, 9" DVD rear seat entertainment system with
    Centerpoint and 5.1 surround sound

Dealer Installed Accessory:
    In dash 6-disc CDMP/3 changer (modular audio)

Let me know if you find the user's manual. I will continue searching on google/yahoo to see if I can find some external link there.

Thanks.
    Alright, found the US Manual at another Edmund's forum :-)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That is NOT an edmunds.com forum.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Go to Mazdausa.com and register as an owner... you're given the owners manual in a pdf format... it's also a good way to keep track of warranty info for your car.
  • woody25woody25 Member Posts: 2
    If you buy the CX 9 with navigation system it will play the CD/MP3/WMA files, but not with the regular cd player as it will not play MP3. But for the Ipod jack, it will not play from your Ipod unless you buy and seperately install a Ipod integration device. Does anyone have any better solution? I want to play my ipod in my fully loaded CX9 grand touring.
    You can play your ipod through the aux port in the center armrest... what you dont have with that is onscreen direct control of the ipod or the one plug charging that you have with the integration mondule
  • woody25woody25 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a CX-9 with the navigation system, Sirius satellite radio, and rear seat entertainment system. Obviously my first shock was that I could not use my Ipod in it. After reading the discussions here I went to my dealer and asked whether they can install TD13-79-CFZ (switch box) for me. They said it will not work. So I called Mazda and their tech support said the same thing. I am now confused. Does it realy work? Can some one help me with more information on it.
    I have the nav system and satellite radio. All I can tell you is that I got the same response from my dealer. They said they called tech support and was told it would not work. I told my dealer to order it, install it, and I would pay for it, whether it worked or not. And guess what..."IT WORKS".

I can’t answer your question directly because you have the entertainment system and I don't, you may have to take a gamble on it like I did and just tell them to do it.

What I’m waiting for is for someone to try the Ipod module along with the switch box. It would be great if I didn’t have to remember to turn the Ipod off every time I get out of the car.
    It's the ipod module that will NOT work with the nav/sirius system... the switch box brings back the aux capablities... there's confusion... but realy when looked at.. there shouldn't be...
    Thanks for the confirmation/clarification. I have decided not to buy CX9 at this time for other reasons. Going with a conventional minivan (Sienna) instead.
    You are right ... I stand corrected. It is some other Mazda discussion forum.
  • sellstar1sellstar1 Member Posts: 19
    Anybody hearing problems with the on board Bluetooth system in CX9? On about 3 of 10 calls from my wife's car there is wall to wall static/white noise that eliminates any opportunity to talk. If we hang up and try again it typically works ok. I have tried it on her phone wihtout the bluetooth and don't have the same problem.
    Thanks.
    We use it all the time in our Cx9 and have never had that issue... it took a moment to get used to the initial lag time on the connection of calls... but no static situations as you are having. I'm curious, how do you use it on her phone that does not have bluetooth ? :confuse:
  • epicardepicard Member Posts: 15
    Just bought an '08 CX-9, with the bose system (not the nav system, not the DVD player) and 6 CD Changer. It does NOT play MP3s. It's very frustrating. The manual says that there are two versions of the 6 CD changer - one that supports MP3 - one that doesn't. Dealer is telling me that the one that supports MP3 is NOT the Bose system. And that I'm Out of LUCK. Am hoping to find out that this isn't true. To be clear - I don't want to use an iPod - I want to use CDs burned with MP3s. I have 10 CDs burned that way from my other car, which worked great. Odd that you lose functionality when upgrading the sound system.
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    I have a 2007 GT CX-9 with Bose system (and NAV). It does play MP3 CD's.
  • chanho1975chanho1975 Member Posts: 1
    I was just wondering if it is possible to add an aftermarket rear DVD entertainment system to a CX9 that has a moonroof in it? I didn't think it was, but one dealer told me otherwise. Does anyone know the answer to this?
    It is possible... I'd suggest going with the headrest versions... they give you two with individual controlls... a great separate feature... had I gotten the m/roof version ... i truly would have gone the head rest route ...
  • epicardepicard Member Posts: 15
    Really! Can you send me any information you have on this? Everyone I talk to says this isn't possible... Can you send me a picture of the front of your CD Changer? epicard at gmail.com (substitute the @ symbol for at).

Thanks in advance! You might have made my week!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please post pics on your CarSpace page album so we all can enjoy them. Someone is sure to search this discussion in three years and they'd really like to see a pic of the changer too.
  • needsdecafneedsdecaf Member Posts: 1
    Hello all:

I am about to buy a CX9 Grand Touring with Nav / RSE and Sirius. I will have the dealer install the switchbox. Two questions:

If the dealer gives me grief on the switchbox install, has anyone installed it themselves? I am not afraid of cracking open the dash, have done it quite a bit before.

Has anyone gotten the iPod module to work with Nav, Sirius and the Switchbox?
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    The dealer I went to this weekend says he installs them all the time for about $1200. He says the factory version has longer bolts that would get in the way of the moonroof, but his aftermarket versions don't.
  • orlando7orlando7 Member Posts: 8
    I just had my Sirius radio installed on my 2 month old 08 CX-9. It worked OK but later when I tried to set-up my Bluetooth I received no audible prompts. I had to return it to the dealer for repair who mumbled something about another wiring buss they should have used. Of course, everytime I take it in in something else becomes inoperable...this time my dash 12v outlet doesn't work. QUESTION: Will my iPod aux jack not work because I had the Sirius radio installed? What is that fix?