Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    And the G6 has been out of fleets for some time now. I love how they never update those pages.

Lots of Mazda6 in fleets though.
    I doubt it. Some overpaid useless corporate bozos didn't think of the potential fallout, but now they know.
    Read today that National has a new car class code - UXAH. This would be "premium elite hybrid", and the car wearing the code was an ES hybrid. First Lexus rental I have known of since some slow-selling GS were sent to fleets around 1995. Interesting move.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Several years ago, I was VERY surprised to find a few dozen Lexus IS250 AWD models at the LAX rental lots! It was in late 2008, if I'm not mistaken. Then in 2009, I flew into Houston and saw another small fleet of them- and only All-Wheel-Drive models, just like LAX.

On that Houston trip, I had reserved a compact sedan with AVIS. They had several of the AWD IS250's parked up front when I got to their lot. I asked the manager how they ended up with a small fleet of Lexuses, especially since the words 'fleet' and 'Lexus' had never been used in the same sentence until that moment?!? Apparently, Lexus allocated the AWD models no differently than regular, RWD IS-models. Instead of sending more of them to New England, the Pacific Northwest, the Midwest (areas where Subarus sell best), they send just as many to bone-dry, hotter-than-hell areas like the Southwest, Southern California, Texas...and dealers couldn't give them away!

So they dumped them into rental fleets in those markets. He also told me that Volvo had done the same thing, at least in Houston, with the 2008 and 2009 S60 2.5T AWD. He said that it was easier to get an S60 AWD from Hertz than a Ford Focus (and for the same price) for several months!
    It was a very interesting conversation, to say the least. The best part? My new-found friend upgraded me to a brand new Lexus IS250 AWD for the dirt-cheap 'compact' rate on my reservation! I had it for a week and paid less than $200! =)

It was the best rental car I've had, hands-down. But my best friend had a 2007 IS250 (RWD) that I drove quite a bit. In comparison, the AWD felt like the parking brake engaged AND like it had 400lbs of bricks in the trunk!!! It was a dog, to say the least...but a very comfy dog, at least...
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    Interesting! I never saw that out here, didn't know it existed. I know in 94-95, some GS were found in fleets in CA (Hertz I think), and that was it. Lexus is probably the mainstream brand with the least fleet presence. I wonder if any IS will again be fleet dumped when we finally get a new model, and there are old style units left unsold.

Out here for many years, Hertz had S60 and S80 - they still might. In 2007, I rented a nice sport package A6 from Hertz at LAS, but it wasn't cheap - ended up around $80/day I think.

Rental car fleets have evolved greatly in the past decade. Now you can get pretty much anything, including prestige brands. Back in the day, it was almost entirely modestly equipped domestic boxes.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I'm in Nashville for work for a couple of days and National had a brand new 2013 Fusion SE Ecoboost in the Emerald aisle so I grabbed it. I've been waiting for one of these to show up so I could see how it drove, overall I'm very impressed. It has plenty of power for the class, is relatively quiet and fun to drive. Definitely better than the new Camry I had in CA a few weeks ago, not that the Camry was bad but the Fusion is definitely a better vehicle. Overall a big win for Ford based on first impressions.
    Getting to the point where one might not have to rent "premium" or higher to ensure not getting stuck in a junkheap.
    I have read that the Caddy ATS is now in the National fleet, and that it is a very nice ride.
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    Got to CA yesterday and upon arrival at Hertz I pulled my usual "give me anything but an Impala" tirade. What I ended up with instead was a 26k mile '12 Malibu that smells like an ashtray. I would typically prefer a four banger Malibu to an Impala that drives like a spoon in a bowl of mashed potatoes, but in this case I guess the joke was on me; shoulda kept my mouth shut.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

Indeed, I'd love to have one but they rarely make those cars available in the Emerald Aisle, even in the Executive section you don't get "Premium" cars like that very often. An Avalon or a 300 is about the "nicest" cars I get in that section. I did get a new S60 in Miami a few months ago, so every once in a while you get lucky.
    About 10 years ago I pulled the same thing when they gave me a Buick Century. The lady offered me an "upgrade" to a Taurus wagon. It was the lesser of two evils for sure. A guy I worked with showed me a trick on the Century (this was the last body style, not the one they made for 37 years), if you started it, then put it in gear and turned the key back to start for about 30 seconds you could turn the "Service Engine Soon" light on, so rather than complain at the time of rental he would go get in the car, do this and then go back and say he didn't feel comfortable driving a car with a light on, and voila he'd get upgraded with apologies.
    Some of the cooler cars are only found at certain locations, too. S60 is a decent score though, not bad. I've heard there are some fairly loaded 300s in that fleet, too.

When I rent on my own dime for any period of time, I tend to reserve premium or higher, just to improve my odds of not being stuck in a crapbox.

I'm in Germany right now, and have a 10 day rental starting Friday. I'm a little geeked about it already. I need to find where their parking garage is, so I can stalk it out. Or maybe just wait, kind of like Christmas :shades:
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    My cousin flew lives in Los Angeles but she had to attend a sorority sister's wedding in Cincinnati this past weekend. While she was on this side of the country, she flew on down to ATL yesterday to hang out with me and our other favorite cousin for the week (the Black Sheep Cousin Committee, as we refer to ourselves)!

Anyway, I was planning to pick her up at the airport and loan her my parent's spare vehicle so she wouldn't have to pay for a rental for the week. But I woke up yesterday morning to pouring rain and a high of 38 degrees and couldn't bring myself to make the 70+ mile slog to airport to fetch her. So I called and arranged for a rental car to be waiting for her when she landed.

I happen to be an insurance agent and I'll confess, I use that fact and certain tricks that I know to get $60/day cars for $23/day!!! =) I reserved a 'standard' size/level vehicle with Enterprise and asked if they knew what kind of car it would probably be. The guy said it would very likely be a brand new Chrysler 200, which he seemed to think was a nice car based on his inflection. I was trying to avoid laughing and heaving at the same time....and since I wouldn't be driving it, I figured my cousin could live with it.

When she showed up in my driveway yesterday afternoon, she was driving a 2013 KIA Optima LX with less than 300 miles on the clock. I was very pleasantly surprised and she said she loved driving it- and she has a 2009 Lexus GX470 at home in L.A., so that is high praise for her to think the KIA drives so well!

I drove it all afternoon and evening yesterday and I was genuinely surprised that it was so nice to drive and how much I genuinely liked this base level Kia Optima LX without a single option. Even at its most basic, it has a good audio system, Bluetooth phone capability with buttons on steering wheel, audio controls on steering wheel, the driver's seat was manually adjustable in fore-aft, up-down and also could be 'rocked forward or back and locked into place manually. Oddly enough, the lumbar adjustment was power. It took a few minutes of moving cranking levels and sliding things around, but once I got it adjusted, it was the most comfortable driver's seat this side of Volvo S60!

The interior fabric was very high quality, even if it was a 'honey-ish' hue of beige. The center stack (where the audio system & climate controls reside) is canted in toward the driver, kind of like a cockpit. The interior looked and felt like it would be at home in a $30k car.

The engine has plenty of kick and the 6-speed automatic readily downshifts two or even three gears if you nail it (such as merging onto a fast moving highway). On the road, the car feels rock solid and when you hit your first pot hole, you realize that it actually is rock solid!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it has surpassed the Nissan Altima and now shares the spot of "my favorite mid-size sedan" with the Mazda6!!! The Optima LX has a base MSRP of $21,200. The mid-level EX is only $2,300 more and adds dual-zone auto A/C, Homelink remote, 1-touch up/down front windows, auto-dimming rearview mirror, leather-covered steering wheel and shifter knob, 8-way power driver's seat, leather seats, Keyless access system, 17" alloys (vs. 16" on LX) and rear map lights. That's a lot of content for $2,300.

Another $2,950 for the EX Premium Package adds a Panoramic Sunroof, Infinity Premium">link title Sound System w/ 8spkrs, UVO Infotainment system with Rear Camera Display, HD Radio, 4-way power passenger seat, Driver seat memory, HEATED & COOLED front seats & HEATED rear seats, heated steering wheel and power folding mirrors.

So an EX with all those features listed above has a sticker of only $26,450 and TrueCar price of $24,320! Folks, I think I've just found my next car....
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    edited November 2012
    Picked up my rental today. I had requested a special/large car with diesel, and noted that I did not want a SUV. The other day the branch contacted me and said they could get me an X5 - misunderstanding. So I was a little concerned this morning.

I staked out the rental garage after I picked up my keys. Only other large car was a 750Li xDrive - nice, but when gas is around $7.50 a gallon, no thanks. Others included a couple of 5ers, 5er GT, 3ers and 1ers, and some other assorted brands.

Here's what I got:

A8 SWB TDi Quattro, 3.0. Moves along very well but only could get room to take it to 110mph or so due to traffic. It also has snow tires limited to 210kmh.
    Fairly loaded up - I don't know all of what it has yet, but it has adaptive cruise, solar panel on sunroof, rear camera with radar style parking aid, automatic trunk, stop-start (still getting used to that), insanely complex MMI/nav system, comfort seats, extra key fob that I think is for warming up the car - tonight I will study it more to see if I can find anything weird. Lowest MSRP with only the options I list is ~84K Euro. It has around 8K miles on it. Not the cheapest rental, but you only live once.
    Maybe their patrons just have low expectations?

I've never had a real problem with them, just some cars that were the worse for wear. Their corporate siblings seem a lot better.
    I checked it out. I have the lane warning system and TV tuner (which works), but no night vision. Oh well.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I wouldn't complain! You could've ended up with this!

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    See? That's what I'm talking about with Enterprise.....

Not quite but one time they rented me a Malibu (maybe a 2006) that smelled like someone had died in it. Ugh. I said no, this won't do and they replaced it with a Kia Optima which was a perfectly ordinary car. It worked fine but had no personality at all.

Next time the rented me a Hyundai Accent base. Crank windows, no power lock the whole bit - yet it had a USB port!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Luckily, the people at Pig in a Poke didn't plan my trip :shades:

Although sometimes my itinerary seems planned down to the minute.

I wouldn't expect much personality from a rental, but is nice to have something that isn't beat up, or unpleasantly stripped. A friend of mine opted for a cheapo rental at MIA a year or two ago - got a Rio with no cruise control Fun for those Florida highways.

The A8 I am in now is like driving a big computer, in a way. ...with a leather chair attached.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    What is the acceleration like in that diesel?

I don't think you could sell a "flagship" euro sedan in the US with a diesel.. Buyers expect super-car acceleration in a $90K+ car..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I think 0-60 is around 7.6. Not slow, but no supercar. The only diesel luxoboat offered in the US in decades has been the S-class. The current model is offered in diesel in the US, 4Matic only, but I do not think it sells at any volume. Those spending 100K on a car don't care about gas prices, so it only sells to die hards.
    edited November 2012
    Well, my rental sled is now returned, the fun is over. It was a nice car, but I don't know if I found the value to be higher than in a normal mid lux (5er, E, A6), as in the case of the Audi especially, the A8 is in too many ways just a big A6. The cost on my rental wasn't much more (maybe 20%), but I don't know if I got 20% more enjoyment out of it vs something like a 535d.

My likes on the car were the economy (overall over 30mpg), the 8 speed transmission was actually pretty smooth and logical, the adaptive cruise control was fun, it handled well for such a barge (I would toss it through empty roundabouts for fun)...but it is a boat for European parking garages, and was pretty numb. And I really wish it had head up display, such a great feature for Autobahn driving.
    Thanks for the review fintail. Glad you got to try the A8, like you said you only live once. I liked your comment about it being a big computer with a leather chair attached. Also if I had the chance to drive one I imagine I'd agree on it just being a big A6, which isn't bad I guess but not worth the price premium. For me adaptive cruise control is one of the best options available.
    I'm glad someone is interested :shades:

I am back home now, my normal everyday car (older E55 with a big lazy V8) feels very light compared to that Audi cruise ship, maybe that much more so because it predates many of those gadgets.

Oh, and a forgotten drawback to renting in Europe - no satellite radio.

When (it better not be "if") the next time I rent in Germany, I will probably just choose the E/5er/A6 class.
    I always liked the generation you have, the E55, I think you posted a picture a while back. I also like your fintail, if I remember right it's blue? If it's the picture I'm remembering I loved the car and the color was my favorite.

I need to renew my satellite radio in the G37, I haven't been riding it as much lately though so haven't taken the time to do it.

I'm off to Denver tomorrow, I got lucky and didn't travel much in November so this will be my first rental since October. I'm hoping National will have a new Fusion, I'd like to try one again. Denver isn't one of their best locations but every once in a while they have something fun. I'm jealous of your international travels, I only travel within the US which makes for less exciting rental opportunities. :)
    Yep I have posted them. I have the old car out today, still running as well as can be expected. I am content with my cars right now and have no plans to replace them. Must be getting old :shades:

Satellite radio is far from perfect - but in Seattle normal broadcast radio is kind of sketchy, CDs have become cumbersome, ipods are boring, and streaming radio is ahead of the tech in my cars. I like not knowing what the next song will be. Luckily, many rentals have it, as they are within the trial periods. I had an E-class in Florida earlier this year with active Sirius, a must for a long drive.

National is a good fleet, and I prefer that group as I like to choose the car. What class do you get to choose from? Fusion is in the fleets now I am pretty sure, and National gets some nicer models and brands too.

When I travel and rent, it is 90% of the time on my own dime, and as I like cars, I'll pay a little more to not get stuck in a penalty box. For me being in Germany, the car is as important as any sights to be seen. Going the cheapest route wouldn't be any fun.">
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    I recently had to rent a car to travel on business, driving from Philly to Norfolk, VA. About 5 hours, mostly through the middle of nowhere.

I was hoping I was getting the Camry SE they had sitting there, but I ended up getting a Malibu (I asked, and they said the Toyota was not ready to go).

Turns out to have been a good thing. the Malibu was actually quite comfortable (seats), and it had XM (the Camry did not). Man, without XM on that trip I would have gone nuts!

Oh, when you rent at a local suburban satellite location (Hertz in this case) you don't have much of a selection. Probably lucky they had anything, being as it was 5 days after Sandy blew through!

One funny site. In the middle of Maryland, I was next to another rental. This one was a Cobalt (I think, maybe a Cruz) with 5 people packed in. While I was driving my semi-barge Malibu all by myself. Considering the cost differential, if you need to take that many people, spring the extra $5-10!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I just drove by my local Enterprise. Lots of Fords and Hyundais, virtually nothing else. There's a Hertz hotel based satellite a couple blocks from where I live - they usually have lots of Toyotas and Chryslers.

I just drove in the complete uber-barge A8 all by myself - I have no regrets about the expense. Maybe not totally worth it, but better than being crammed into something like a VW Up! for 10 days.
    on vacation, I agree with getting something you like. Just consider it part of the overall cost.

but on business, you get what the company says you can have! Though even with my cheap company, they let you have up to a Standard (I think that is what they call it, or intermediate. whatever a malibu sized car qualifies for in Rental company speak.

Then talk them to rent from someone who allows you to choose, at least. I think my employer gets "standard" or "full size", I see lots of Malibus and Fusions in the lot, smaller SUVs too. And if you rent a lot, you might get to choose from a better lot, National works that way.
    there are a few outfits that are allowed. Avis, Hertz, and maybe budget/national.

But I wanted something close to my house. I had no desire to schlep into Philly to go to the airport to get a car, considering I had to eventually drop it off and get back home!

the Hertz desk was at my local AAA office, which I could walk to if I really felt like it.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    My company uses National... I almost never need to rent a car for work, but for personal use, I use the corporate National account... There is almost always something decent in the Emerald Aisle (which is the base for the account)... and, at least I get a choice without asking..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• thorscarthorscar Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any experience - good or bad - with Hertz customer service? Need to choose rental company to stick with for a while...
    edited November 2012
    Got a letter in the mail from Sixt today, sent direct from Germany. I forgot they use this method as a way to give a receipt - seems expensive, but maybe not really. Listed no extra charges, so apparently I didn't damage the car.

Interesting thing about this letter is a pile of random info at the bottomr - everything from license plate number to mileage to emissions. One number is "BLP" which is "bruttolistenpreis in EUR", which is MSRP. For the A8, it was 100,700 Euros, roughly $130K. Not bad, as it cost about the same price as a "luxury" rental from an American carrier, and less than any of the "prestige" choices.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I got one of those a couple of months after renting a car in Puerto Rico a while back. Took them a long time to figure out how much I owned them for the toll roads I guess.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Hertz tends to cost a bit more, but you generally don't get anything all beat up. Register for Gold status and you can go right to your car, plus that usually means you get the better vehicles. Avis cars don't seem as nice any more. Enterprise seems to vary a lot. At least that's my recent experiences.
    We reserve Intermediate, but I'm part of the Emerald club and rent enough to be in the Executive selection, although I can't tell a huge difference between the two and as often as not I just pick what I want from the Emerald aisle.

Denver was pretty disappointing this week, they had a ton of Chrysler 200's, no thanks. I started to grab a base model Prius, but then switched to a 2013 Escape. Not a bad ride, but for the week I only averaged 19.9 mpg, I expected a little more from the Ecoboost in a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving and not driving aggressively. I want to like the new Fords but I've noticed most of the ones I rent have a rattle here or there, one Escape had a piece of weatherstripping loose on a rear window and the glove box in a Fusion was pretty flimsy.

I'm off to Pittsburgh next week, haven't been there in years so will see what their National fleet looks like.

I do agree with you on traveling personally, I pay more for a better car, it's definitely worth it.
    I just rode in an Avis CX-7 driven by an out of town friend who is visiting. Pretty basic spec, seemed to have to work pretty hard to get moving. Or maybe I am just used to high torque vehicles with effortless acceleration.

Hotel parking lot was rental car fantasyland - Fusions, Sonatas, Camrys, Malibus, Altimas, 300C and Genesis, and many smaller things, small SUVs, the whole world of normal rentals.
    probably the newer non-turbo model. That is not going to be fast.

It really had to work (or sounded like it was working) to get moving - if I want to deal with that, I'll ride a motorcycle :shades:
    I've had the CX-7 for rentals a couple of times, I wouldn't choose it again. Like you said it really struggled to get going, and overall was just blah.

I was in Pittsburgh this week, pretty slim selection. I ended up with a base Grand Cherokee, which was fine. When we turned it in there was a Dodge Dart in front of us in a powder blue color, while I like that you can get something besides white, black, beige or silver this blue was a little offensive.

Back to Denver next week, we'll see if they're still overrun with 200's.
    Could be worse - I saw a rental Galant yesterday. Didn't know those were still around. It's like a new old car.

The color thing reminds me of a German annoyance - it seems 95% of rental cars are black. Every German rental car I have had has been black.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    the '12 Nissan Altima I'm renting right now in Alamogordo, NM, is indeed....black! Don't cha know that black, though not a color, is America's favorite car color right now?

No.2 is silver and red comes in 3rd. Correct me on that if anyone knows but that is what I read several months ago if memory serves me.

Wow, huh? :)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

edited December 2012
    Most recent tally was white, silver, then black, gray, then red....

America's top 10 car colors

I'm surprised they had anything to rent in black down there. :shades:
    Too bad you didn't get a 2013, they are in the fleets now, and apparently are a big step up from the old style.

Hmm...rental car colors. I've had a few white rentals in the US, then silver/grey. Can't think of a black one.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think white is generally number one because of fleet sales. Not just rentals, but sales to companies that may apply logo's on them afterwards.
    Maybe so, didn't consider that factor.

I like white cars but my wife isn't so hot on them.
    White works on some cars, not so bad to maintain either.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Altima, though the car doesn't look bad in black, neither. I liked it but the steering was kind of numb compared to my Lancer GTS. And the turning radius was too large. Other than that I drove some 265 miles in those two days and paid only $25 in ghastly ta fill it back up. 8 odd gallons in to 265 miles gives you, what, 33 smiles to the gallon? Not bad, eh? :)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick