Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I'd bet it is a very numb car. You'll get a basic spec as a rental too. But, it's a rental, reliability and mileage trump all for 90% of renters.

I saw a Passat and Avalon rental this morning - I wonder how much fleet sales are padding the stats of both those companies.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2012
    My sister was thinking of doing exactly this last month. She wound up taking her '05 Forester in for a bunch of work.

"Holiday-travel hassles and aging family vehicles may be pushing more people toward renting cars, which may seem more reliable than flying, riding the rails or even driving their own cars."

As Cars Age, Do Consumers Swing to Rentals? (Wall St. Journal)
    People do that in Europe, especially those (a huge amount) who can commute via mass transit. They often rent cars for weekends or special trips, it's a normal thing.
    In my sister's case, her Subaru has ~130,000 miles and she didn't much trust it for the nine hour drive to Chattanooga for Christmas (especially after I kept harping on her overdue timing belt change).

I'll have to mention to her that part of the maintenance cost will be defrayed by the amount she saved not renting a car.
    If she relies on it as an every day car out of necessity too, it is kind of wasting money not fixing or replacing it, as she'll need a car anyway.
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, but unlike the road she can call friends for a lift around home if she breaks down, and knows what shops to avoid. That was her justification for not doing the timing belt.

The other thing I kept harping on was that a $1,000 repair bill was only three or four car payments. For months and months I was afraid she was going to just go buy a MINI (with no nearby dealer) and get back on car payments - or use the ruined engine as an excuse. She finally decided she wanted to put off that hit to her pension for a while longer, bless her. :shades:
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think her rental car approach can actually work. It gives her a nicer ride for distance travel and helps her put off major car outlays. Meanwhile, sometimes you can rent for less than the 30 plus cents a mile car driving can cost. Depending on the deal, sometimes I rent for a trip rather than tacking on the mileage to my own vehicle. Gotta do the arithmetic. Of course, being a woman by herself and given all the nut jobs out there, a reliable vehicle can be a good safety insurance policy as well.
    edited December 2012
    Good points. But she's a well traveled retired flight attendant and she'd probably flatten any joker that got in her face. Breaking down isn't much fun though, anywhere it happens.

There is an Enterprise in the next town.

And a Rent A Wreck. :D
    Maybe those experienced flight attendants toughen up from putting up with pilots. Kind of like nurses with surgeons I think.
    I guess I was thinking most people can't randomly call people and get rides. She's in a lucky position there :shades:

If she has no real reason to replace the old car, and isn't an enthusiast, maybe just talk her into using the cheap route - fix old car, and if she feels unsafe, still rent for long trips.
    edited December 2012
    She really is lucky - most of her friends are retired too and her group is always swapping rides with each other. Lots of help with doctor visits too. She got a ride home this morning with an antiquing friend after dropping the car off.

I'll find out by Friday if she feels ripped off by the mechanic. Heaven forbid the Subie dies on the way home from the shop - she'll write me out of her will. :blush:
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    after I point out to my wife how much stuff she has to leave behind thanks to having downsized from an Odyssey to an RDX, I may be out renting a minivan Christmas eve to take instead when we go family visiting for Christmas.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

We downsized from an Ody to a CRV after our kids finished college and were on their own. Figured, might as well save some gas. It's been a great vehicle really. But, we have rented vans and crossovers on multiple occasions because we needed more space. Will probably move back up to one of those next year after the CRV is paid for.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Got a 2013 Escape in Seattle today. It must have the 2.0 EcoBoost because it's much peppier than others I've had. It's got just over 13,000 miles on it and is also quieter than others I've had (no rattles, wind noise, etc.) It's a little too "cute" for me but I do like the way it drives.
    I saw a rental one of those in Bellevue this morning, silver. Also a rental Avenger - a model that must only sell to fleets now.
    edited January 2013
    I've been fortunate enough to avoid getting an Avenger. That and the Malibu are two I steer away from at all costs.

Heading back to NC today, picking up a rental there but the Charlotte location usually doesn't have the best selection, although sometimes they surprise me. However a couple of times I've shown up to find about 40 Impalas in the Emerald and Executive selection.

Overall I liked the Escape, however I have noticed fuel economy isn't anything to write home about. In a mix of city and highway driving I averaged just over 20.5. Decent I guess but I expected more with all the hoopla around Ecoboost.
    Without fleets, the Impala wouldn't exist right now. I suppose finding a loaded car on the lot wouldn't be bad. The new one can't come soon enough. I mainly rent for personal use, and usually reserve a higher class to avoid such cars.

That Ecoboost must have to work hard at times.
  • seank2seank2 Member Posts: 79
    After sideswiping a deer in my Mercedes R-Class a few weeks ago, the good people at State Farm sent me to Enterprise on their dime for 15 days. Being in a very rural, very small town, I was quite nervous as to what I was going to get. Lucky me, when the Enterprise clerk asked "what kind of car is in the shop?" and I told her, she took me out to the lot and showed me everything they had available. Selection was surprisingly decent: Black with tan top Chrysler 200 convertible; 2013 Buick Lacrosse; White over black Chrysler 300; Kia Sorento; and various Corollas, Chevy Cruzes and other typical Enterprise fare.

I opted for the 2013 Chrysler 300. 8 speed auto, Pentastar V6, Sirius, UConnect, all the goodies. I travel extensively for business, so I spent lots of time in the car. Chrysler's new emphasis on interiors is spectacular, and made me think this is an American car I might actually consider buying. This is my second 300 rental since the summer, and its a surprisingly decent car from a company that I left for dead in the last few years.
    Agreed, if you get a loaded Impala it's not like being in a penalty box, it's just boring and lifeless, although the 2012 models do have the 3.6L that's fairly quick, but still.

The 1.6 Ecoboost really has to work hard, I didn't pop the hood on this one to check but I feel like it had to be the 2.0 as it was much smoother and seemed to handle the hills in Seattle a lot better than the 1.6 I had in Denver.
    How's the 8 speed tranny? My 2011 Grand Cherokee had the 5-speed and it wasn't nearly up to the task, the 8 speed couldn't have come soon enough.
    And the design is so bland and dated now - it feels very much like a mid 00s product. Maybe a good car to get if hauling a few people or reserving at a cheap rate, but there are many more interesting cars in the fleets right now.

I rode in a rental Mazda CX a few weeks ago - it really made noise off the line in city traffic, I have to imagine while sucking down the gas.
  • seank2seank2 Member Posts: 79
    The 8 speed is spectacular. It shifts a lot in town, but its not really noticeable, or not noticeable any more than the 7Geartronic in my Mercedes. The Pentastar in the 300 is the 292 HP version, so the car can get up and move quickly. Fuel economy over the 600 odd miles, of which 80% were in town was 23, which for such a big car is not bad.

If only they would put the 8 speed in the 300C or the SRT with the V8, I'd be more likely to be a buyer, but Chrysler insists on keeping the old 5 speed auto with the V8s.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Hang in there, the 8HP70 is coming! The Pentastar uses the 8HP45 (45 = 450 Newton-meters (332 lb-ft) of torque capacity, 70 = 700 Nm/516 lb-ft). The 8HP70 will first see duty very shortly in the Ram 1500 hooked to the 5.7L Hemi V8, and is expected to be available for all 5.7L-equipped vehicles for the 2014 model year.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • thorscarthorscar Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. Haven't committed to any one company yet, but I found this article on customer service online. I'm sure it applies to most companies at some point, not just Hertz, but it's food for thought.

http://www.sigmazone.com/Aritcle_HertzIsRunningWithScissors.htm
    That's a tough one given the poor airline quality and service these days. Lots of cancellations and delays. The rental car company has to decide the tradeoff of how long to withhold the vehicle because at a certain point it becomes difficult to lease it out for the day. Had that happen once to me with Hertz in Vegas. But they made it up to me by upgrading me from a Camry to a Cadillac CTS. So I thought considering both sides of the issue, that it was fair to both sides.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Got to drive a Ford Focus SEL hatch, a Ford Edge, A jeep Liberty and a Nissan Altima at my new part time job today. Sure had a blast though some cars were better than others. Will come back later and detail likes/dislikes. looks like I'll be able to drive all sorts of makes and models in the near future and I can't wait. This is my "dream job"! Thank you G-d!!! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Very cool. Is this the "car porter" job you mentioned a month or so ago (unless I'm confusing you with someone else again. :blush: )?
    Absolutely...it's a part time gig and I'm basically on call as they don't get much notice. They call and if you are available...you work. Since I'm retired and at home most of the time, it was just perfect. And getting to drive so many different makes and models is pretty cool...who could ask for more! And I get paid to do this...I must've died and gone to car heaven! :)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Sounds fun. My grandpa had a post-retirement job like that, to get out of my grandma's hair and maybe make something to spend at the track. I think mostly he would drive cars back and forth between SEA and PDX, probably returning one way rentals with out of state plates, before such things were common. He did this until he was 75 or 76, IIRC.
    is this for a new car dealer, doing dealer swaps?

Rental companies. We did Dollar rental cars that day. They have 'em lined up and we get to go pick what we like...but I found out one needs to move rather quickly as the old timers knew exactly what makes they wanted. traffic on the interstate can get pretty dicey at times and there are cops everywhere...just need to stay focused while driving within an acceptable speed range and not making any stupid moves. An old timer told me "to fly under the radar"! Hopefully I'll be called into to work more often as I get more experience. I have no problem being on call or working weekends as I'm home all the time.

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Have you had the "pleasure" of driving a Fiat 500 yet? =)

I got stuck with one the last time I flew into LAX late at night and it was NOT fun! Driving on the 405 is scary enough in a much larger and more powerful vehicle, but it was almost suicidal in that thing!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    I've heard National at SEA now has the LR2 - that's an odd rental. Roll the dice.
    Read today that National in Hawaii is carrying the Lexus CT. Been a long time since Lexus has been in any NA fleet.
    I've seen these in the Hertz Emerald aisle, I think that's what they call it, even saw a gorgeous GLK suv...impressive in dark blue! So far the nicest I've driven is a new Passat with 2k on the clock. A larger car that I had thought, I do prefer Jetta sized vehicles, but the leather(?) was pretty nice and it had a power throne with memory. Waiting for the day that I can drive a VW across the alley to Tampa so I can see what all the fuss is about German cars and the firmness of their suspensions. After a few hours drive time, I can get a good feel for the car. Driving across I-75 there are usually stretches with little or no traffic so I can play with the speed as long as no cops are hiding out. I use the cruise once the traffic thins out so I can concentrate on the interior creature comforts. And I'm usually very happy with what I find.

Drove a basic rental grade Chevy Spark on Friday up to Clearwater and it got the job done rather nicely. Had cruise ans SAT radio so I was happy going in. I had tried to snag a new Malibu but being the newbie of the team, I was shown to the lowly Sparks lined up for us. Fine and once situated and fixing the mirrors and seats, I finally noticed the goodies. I prefer to have cruise so the trip can be more relaxing. These Sparks had just come off the truck and had all the plastic coverings still on the hood, roof & mirrors. The plastic was all over the seats and headrests so I just took off what was on the drivers seat so I wouldn't be sliding around. A little loud on hard acceleration but a very willing little econo mobile and perfect for the rental fleets. The dash monitor said I was getting 33.9 mpg's after driving about an hour...very impressive for a car with 6 miles on it when I drove out of the lot to go fill the tank. It had a tilt wheel and the odo moved up and down just like in a motorcycle...it did not telescope unfortunately so I just moved the seat a little closer. I arrived on the other side of Florida a couple of hours later with a smile on my face and my bad back wasn't too upset with me. It took everything O threw at it and came back for more. One drawback is the smallish fuel tank...most of us had to stop for some petrol, the 1st time in the two weeks I've been transporting rentals, certainly not the cars fault. A shame this car is not offered to the general public as it would sell pretty well I think as an entry level vehicle.

edited February 2013
    You know that most cars have a little triangle or arrow near the fuel gauge to indicate which side of the car the fuel filler is, right? Might save you some time heading to fill-up, since you are driving so many different cars.

All the new digital displays probably have that info buried three menus deep. :shades:

Here's one from a 2012 New Beetle. Snopes says the hose on the gas pump handle icon doesn't necessarily indicate which side the flap is on.

• js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    The Spark actually is available to the public as a regular production vehicle. My cousin just bought a new Spark after Hurricane Sandy swallowed her Kia on Staten Island.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

If you get a German car, filler door should be on the passenger side - has been on all of the modern German cars I have driven. Makes more sense that way too, IMO.

I think "Emerald Aisle" is a National thing. Speaking of agencies, I hope Sixt contracts with your employer - they have a large highline fleet, and you might get to drive something cool.

And yeah, Spark is available as a normal car. Old co-worker of mine bought one a few months ago. There's a new loaded one sitting on the local Chevy lot today, spotted it this morning, bizarre roof rails and all.
    My Volvo has the filler on the right side. Once in a while I would forget it was backward from the rest of the fleet.

actually, everything is reversed from my Hondas. tach and speedo, steering wheel radio/cruise controls, etc.

and if you drive in Jersey, you really want it on the left, since you have to deal with the gas attendant, and it screws them up to have the filler on the right, so you end up with them at the passenger side window!

Oh yeah, Joisey is like Oregon, people can't be trusted to pump their own gas. Still don't get that. I guess for that it makes sense.

When I rent, I usually remember to check for the filler hole first thing, just to save face at station.
    Yes Steve, I do know this. I always look to see where the the icon is pointing...our first rule when getting into a car is to check the gas gauge to see what the situation is. We have 4 vehicles in the family fleet and two of them are on the passenger side of the car and two are on the drivers side. The Honda and Hyundai are on the drivers side while the Nissan and Mazda are on the passengers. Stick, our Mazda and your Volvo are the same body just with different front and rear fascias among other things. When I was thinking of purchasing the S40 a few years back, I noticed how similar both cars were. To this day, I'm still a bit sad that I didn't do the swap and buy the Volvo but that's part of life. Now that I'm driving a nit more, I'm thankful for the better mpg's of my Civic. It's all a trade off I suppose.

Really had no idea that the Spark was on sale in the states through Chevy...seems very much like a shrunken Sonic. Hopefully I'll get to drive a Sonic but haven't seen too many of them in the lots we cover.

Fin, Sixt is a client of ours and I have noticed that they do have C Classes in their fleet so I should Be able to snag one eventually. The great thing about this job is that we never know which client is going to want us to move what where. We did a Key West run yesterday for Dollar and they needed us to do another one this morning. I did have to bow out today as scheduling became an issue for me as I still do have a life outside of work. My crew chief was cool about it but I also gave him over a weeks notice about today so he was well aware. Hopefully I'll get a call later today or in the morning about another run somewhere. I've learned to keep my cell near me at all times and tend to get up around 7:30 just in case I'm needed. I like to bring a snack and some drinks as I can't eat fast food every day.

We have 4 vehicles in the family fleet and two of them are on the passenger side of the car and two are on the drivers side.

Never fails; two cars here and the fuel doors are on different sides. :)
    Sixt also has the E cabrio and SLK in its Florida fleet - you might get lucky sometime. I rented an E350 from them last year at a bargain rate. They have just opened a branch in Seattle, but no highline cars yet - they will come around in a few months, I think. If there are good deals, I might just take a rental for a little local road trip - I'll spend $40 a day to use a brand new E-class, like I did in FL.

I hope you get some fun runs in the near future, will be interesting to see what you drive, and what's available.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I saw an ad in the WSJ for Sixt franchisees....

It starts out with needing $150K free, but looks like you could possibly need $750K to get it going.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yikes. Just a little more than I have on me right now. Maybe they'd take a check :shades:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    You'd never have to buy another car, though... so, there is that savings.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

We could be partners!

I'll provide the labor, you supply the money :shades:

Would be kind of cool though, like ky said, could use a rental as my personal car. Sixt E350 Cabrio, please. I wonder where I should put a franchise, maybe another location in Florida (they have nothing north of Orlando).
    Today I read that the 2013 Avalon is in the National fleet, in Fort Lauderdale anyway.