Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Boy, you can't beat that for convenience! :D

OK - after a nice 5 year hiatus I'm heading to Orlando in a couple of weeks and need to rent a car for 5 people. I'll throw the floor open for nominations on best deal. AA? Costco?.... My usual old trick is reserve as small a thing as will do what I absolutely need and talk them up a level or two once I'm at the counter.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    Monday through Friday? 10/26-10/30

Alamo has an Impala for $184 for the week..

Use ID 7014667

About $236 w/tax, and no other extras.. That's about $47/day including tax... not great, but not bad..

That's without any sort of coupon... You may be able to combine that with something else, if you can find a coupon code.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'll take a look. We'll actually ne 11/1 - 11/9.

That would do the trick. Boy, I'd be afraid to ask for a free upgrade. Maybe they'd put me in a Venture. :sick:
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    I'm renting a "luxury" class car in Germany in a few weeks, for 9 days. I don't even want to say what that's costing...and I bought insurance, too.

There's also about 20 different classes of rental cars there, too.

My last rental was a nearly new Focus from Enterprise. Cost under $30/day, no problems.
    A friend of mine just got a Grand Prix as a rental as his normal car will be in the shop for a bit. He said after a mile he was already starting to ache from the poorly designed seat :sick:
    Keeping eyes out for a coupon code for 11/1 - 11/9.....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Never used 'em, but this site was recommended for rental coupons.
    Alamo out of Orlando...

Use ID: 7014667 (special.. 10% off Florida rate)
    Coupon code: AD6974JDM ($25 extra off)

Full size car (Impala or similar) is $398 + taxes and fees ($527 total) for the entire time period.. November 1st-19th.. That's under $30/day including tax..

Those codes are straight off their website... no affiliation needed.

The great thing about rental car reservations... is you don't have to guarantee them... Book that one now, and keep shopping..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My friend was able to exchange his POC Grand Prix rental for a Rondo. He says it seems like a 100x nicer car....which is scary. I rode in it today...41K on the clock :surprise: ...lots of wear and tear,but nary a rattle and everything seemed to be holding up. Homely thing, but I can see why some might buy one, especially for the right price.
    Where the heck are he places for the user ID and coupon code on Alamo? I don't see it.

The trip is 11/ 1 - 11/9 - 8 days. So far I'm at $283 for a Taurus plus all the fees that kick it up to $400. Anyone?
    I'm in with Alamo with your codes and the following message appears -

"You have entered a coupon that may be required to be presented at the time of rental. Please read the terms and conditions of the coupon before selecting your vehicle to ensure your coupon will apply to your reservation. If you are using an upgrade coupon, please select the car category you wish to upgrade from."

Where does such a thing come from or is this just standard jibberish?
    I'll keep talking to myself here. Right now I'm in an "Impala or equivalent" for $253 with all the Florida "because we can" taxes and such. That works.

Now.... where are all the good deals on Disney tickets? :shades:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm listening but not much help. My wife has something rented around Christmas from Hertz in Austin, but the only deal she got was a "click here" $30 off special.

The best deal going for Disney I've heard of (through a friend) is through some volunteering network. Right now, if you volunteer for a qualifying organization, you can turn 8 hours of credit in for things like a free hotel room. Disney apparently is coming on board and letting people swap out volunteering credits for day passes. Don't know any other details.
    That's just jibberish...

Those codes came straight from the Alamo website.... Nothing hinky about them...

Looks like you did pretty good..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Indeed. Thanks. That was a good $175 better than I'd been hitting otherwise though I hadn't hit a couple of things - like AAA.

I may shop the price now. If I could get someone likely to give me a Taurus rather than an Impala for the same money that would be nice - but the Impala will do what needs doing.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Probably more likely to get an Altima or Sonata instead of a Taurus.
    My last two rental cars from Alamo in Florida were a Grand Prix and an Impala...

You do not want a Grand Prix... :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'll go a step further, the GP is the absolute worst rental car out there. I don't know how they could making seating that uncomfortable. Then again GM went BK!
    Oh, I'll refuse a Grand Prix for sure. An Impala I'll live with. A Nissan of Hyundai is fine.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I think it depends on the Rondo. Back over the summer a customer of mine who flipped her XC70 end over end down into a gorge and walked away with only scratches and bruises ended up in a Rondo rental. Don't let anyone tell you Volvo's are still the toughest cars out there.

I drove that car back to the rental place for her and man I didn't think I was going to make it because it shook so bad.
    Heading off. Will have a report on my "Impala or equivalent."
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    I am going to Minneapolis in the middle of November . Have a rental with Alamo-compact car. Probably a Hyundai Accent,Kia Rio, Focus or Nissan Versa. Will post back the experience. :shades:
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    I reserved a full size Charger from Dollar in Vegas for $130 unlimited miles plus taxes and fees for a week later this month. They had a promotion going on at the time and it was actually less than the next smaller size. I reserved it in August so I don't know if the promotion code is still valid.

Pickup Location: Las Vegas - McCarran International Airport-LAS/In-terminal/LAS VEGAS, NV
    Pickup Location Phone: 866-434-2226
    Return Location: Las Vegas - McCarran International Airport-LAS/In-terminal/LAS VEGAS, NV
    Pickup Date/Time: SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 08, 2009 @ 12:00 PM
    Return Date/Time: FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2009 @ 12:00 PM
    Vehicle Type: Full-size ( Dodge Charger or similar )
    Promo Code: 815
    Currency: U.S. Dollar
    Rate Code: RWW55

YOUR RATE IS: 1 Week at $130.90 per week. Unlimited mileage.
    Dang!

The good news here is that Alamo started out as planned. Then they hit me with the $10 per day so my wife can drive as well. Were it not for the fact that it was way late with tired kids I might have shopped every counter....

My equivalent of an Impala IS an Impala. Could have had a Charger but noticed it late. They had some other nice things that were smaller which is too bad because I need the space. Coulda had a Mazda 6.

The Impala is fine for what it is. Didn't hit a curve with it but here in Florida that's not much of a concern.
    I just had a rental from Germany for 9 days. I booked a 6cyl diesel E-class...got a nicely optioned diesel 7-series with about 7K miles on it. I wasn't going to complain about that upgrade, even if it wasn't the brand I wanted. Great long distance cruiser.

Today I take my car in to have the bumper scratch fixed, and the body shop has a cheapo deal with the local Enterprise down the street. I wonder what I'll get.
    I got an 08 Galant with 39K miles on it. It's exceptionally clean inside for such an aged rental car, but I hate the sensitive throttle, and the tires must be well-worn as the wet traction is terrible - I spin the front tires all the time. I won't be driving it much.
    YOUR RATE IS: 1 Week at $130.90 per week. Unlimited mileage.

Yes, I know I'm replying to my own message but I figured anyone reading this might want a link to the original. :)

Anyway, I rented a Dodge Charger for 5 days this past week through Dollar while in Vegas. Although the $130.90 rate was correct by the time they added in all the taxes, airport fees, blah, blah, blah I ended up paying just a few cents shy of $200. That was even without any additional $10/day drivers or their overpriced rental insurance, which I declined.

When I picked up the car the guy behind the counter seemed agitated that I didn't want their ridiculously overpriced insurance coverage. He became even more surly after I explained that my credit card company covers me when I pay for the car rental through them. He said that the car damages will be billed directly to my credit card and I would be responsible for paying it, not my CC company. Do they get a commission or something for getting people to buy that stuff?

I felt that he was implying that he already knew that there would be some sort of damages charged to me. This was before I had even seen the car. I've been through that with another rental company and now I make sure any existing damage is noted before getting in the car. At least one company apparently likes to keep things like a rock chip on the windshield and have multiple renters pay for it before it is fixed. His attitude was about enough to motivate me to file a complaint with Dollar, which I may do later this weekend.

I asked him about any grace period when returning the car. We picked it up at 10:45 a.m. but our flight back home 5 days later wasn't until 2:30 p.m. I didn't feel like sitting in the airport for 4 hours. He said that even if I returned it a minute late I would be charged an additional day's worth of fees and taxes. When I pointed out on my Internet printout that the $130 rate was for a WEEK (not just the 5 days we had it for) he said that didn't include the taxes and other things that I mentioned. He repeated that it would be about an additional $60 if it was even a minute late.

I went to the Dollar website earlier today after I got back home and checked the rates and discovered that he was wrong. It would have only cost me about $5 more in taxes if I returned the car 3 hours past the 24 hour cutoff. His attitude in general and misinformation makes me even more inclined to notify Dollar. I'm sure his name or employee badge number is somewhere on my rental agreement.

Fortunately, the return side went very well. I dropped off the car, the guy barely looked at it, printed out a receipt and I was on my way. I will probably do business with Dollar again sometime because of their low rates; I just hope it's not with the same counter person. Maybe they'll send me a discount coupon for my aggravation.
    Good plan - complain and get a future discount.

The Alamo people in Orlando were a piece of work. They really want everyone to just work through their machines. I usually try to sweet talk my way into a nicer car for the same money at the counter but it looks like that may be a thing of the past.

Anyway, I finally end up at one of the machines which locks up on me with my credit card already in there. Smarmy full of himself Alamo guy takes my stuff and we go to another machine. He proceeds to demonstrate how everything I said didn't work on the machine indeed doesn't work again, finally manages through everything and then neglects to give me back my license and credit card. I'm so tired at this point that I drive away without them which resulted in another trip back to the airport the next day....

Next time I'll likely do everything by phone and bounce rates off the different companies until I hit bottom - or maybe just drive down...
    Do they get a commission or something for getting people to buy that stuff?

Yes they do.

A guy that works for us at the dealership used to work at an Enterprise place and part of their pay plan is commission/profit sharing from up selling insurance and other products.
    Good plan - complain and get a future discount.

Well, they say the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Here's an email response I received today from Dollar CS about the complaint I filed Sunday.

Dear Mr. xxx,

Thank you for notifying us of your recent experience with Dollar Rent A Car in Las Vegas. On behalf of Dollar Rent A Car, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced.

Please accept my personal apologies for the unacceptable behavior and misinformation exhibited by our employee. I was very disturbed to hear of your experience and want to assure you this is no more acceptable to us than it was to you. We pride ourselves on our employee's ability to provide excellent customer service and to be fully informed. The details of your experience have been forwarded to the General Manager of this location for immediate corrective actions.

We understand there is nothing we can do, short of a sincere apology, to make your recent experience any better, however, we would like your next experience to be more pleasant. As a gesture of goodwill, I have mailed two certificates, which is redeemable at any Dollar Rent A Car location in the United States, Canada, Latin America, Caribbean, and Australia.

We appreciate your business and hope you will allow us another opportunity to fulfill your car rental needs in the efficient, professional manner you expect and deserve.

Thank you once again, Mr. xxx, for taking the time to notify us of this situation. We look forward to serving you again soon at Dollar Rent A Car.

Sincerely,

xxx xxx
    Member Services Representative
    As a gesture of goodwill, I have mailed two certificates, which is are redeemable at any Dollar Rent A Car location in the United States, Canada, Latin America, Caribbean, and Australia.

Shouldn't it be 'are' not 'is'?

Maybe you can get another certificate out of him by pointing out his error. :P
    Good plan. Keep those certificates coming!

BTW, did they say what the certificates are for? Specific discount? Use instead of AAA? Get out of jail free?
    BTW, did they say what the certificates are for? Specific discount? Use instead of AAA? Get out of jail free?

If they're certificates for a free rental of the Lamborghini I saw for rent that normally goes for $1,350/day I'll be very happy. However, that wasn't offered at Dollar.

I'll post the details of the certificates when they arrive.
    Hold out for that Lamborghini!

I received my two "sorry for the trouble" certificates from Dollar earlier this week. Each one is good for $10 off my next rental. I didn't see an expiration date on them.

I didn't file a complaint to try and get any freebies. I just wanted to vent off a little steam from my Vegas rental experience. The $20 is just a bonus.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I rented a Hyundai Accent for a couple of days in upstate New York. It was the usual cheap plastic/cloth interior. The engine was pretty refined (especially compared to a few year-old Corolla I rented in Hawaii a couple years ago) and the steering had good feel and was tight. I thought it was a pretty decent car for a cheapo.
  • johnnymnemonicjohnnymnemonic Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I was looking for a car rental for 6 mos.Anyone can recommend the best ?and the cheapest if possible?

Do i need to buy their liability insurance?they were saying it protects me from theft,damges.etc.
    You may want to call your insurance company. There are often local companies that do this for them that are probably a lot cheaper than the consumer names.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    If there is a possibility of needing a car for longer than the expected six months, consider buying one. The depreciation may be less than rental expense.
  • phillyreduxphillyredux Member Posts: 1
    I'm doing some research. Has anyone ever had a really horrible experience with a car rental -- like opting out of insurance and then getting into an accident? losing your car rental keys? or, did you buy the insurance, and when something happened you thought you were covered, but really weren't? I'm just looking for real life examples of car rentals gone wrong. Thanks!
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    If you are doing a research- one best piece of advice that I can give and I always use it...Always always buy the total insurance from the car rental.. Your personal policy will have so many exclusions etc etc that you will be hammered financially if you get into an accident and you are not covered.Advice over !! :shades: :P
    What about the insurance offered by Amex? I have heard it is pretty good.
    I'm of the opposite school. My insurance covers rentals and my credit cards backs it up as well. Cost of insurance can easily double the cost of renting the car.
    I've only bought the rental company insurance when I rented in Germany, as I think the credit card plans max out at 50K value for the car, and my rental cost a bit more :shades: . I think the deductible was 350 Euro...not cheap, but better than dealing with any drama.

I'll probably do it that way again the next time.
    I should be clear that I'm talking US here. I will say, though, that a few years ago I was in Tortola and my insurance said they were good there. I figured I was OK - the rental was a quite used Mitsubishi Montero. If I totaled it it would have been like 27 cents.
    Anyone remember the old McDonald's commercial where the guy keeps getting tiny things? His hotel room barely has room for the bed and when he rents a car they give him a Speck which you more wear than drive?

I've got a Speck right now. My daughter drowned her car on Saturday and while I'm awaiting results (it's probably totaled) they've got me in a rental. the modern Spec is a Hyundai Accent. It's tiny, has crank windows, manual locks and no cruise yet has a USB port and an aux for mp3/iPod. While it is tiny and basic I have to say it's quiet for such a little thing, isn't a slug (don't get me wrong - it isn't a race car either) and further supports the idea that it's tough to get a car that just sucks anymore.
    A friend of mine was recently on a long trip and had 2 rentals...he rented the cheapest possible cars, and that's what he got, 2 Kia Rios with manual windows/locks and no cruise. The latter annoyed him greatly as he had to do some highway driving.

He was recently away for a weekend with his parents, who rented a car - they got a loaded Malibu - moonroof, leather, etc...he said it was amazingly nice.

I'll have my car in the shop for a few days in a couple months for brakes and a general inspection as the warranty is up this year...I'll rent a car for a few days...I wonder what I'll get. I doubt I will have the same luck I had in Germany :shades:
    I'm renting in Denver later this month.. Standard SUV (TrailBlazer class).. Hoping it's not really a TrailBlazer, but I think an Explorer or Grand Cherokee would be my only other choices. (anyone rented an SUV from National, lately?).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Not me but you are certainly right on hoping it's not a Trailblazer!

I think if they had offred taht as an option at teh same price I'd still have taken the Accent....

Speaking of what they offered, they told me I could upgrade on class to a Caliber! How bad is that when a Caliber is considered an upgrade?
    Trailblazer is out of production isn't it? I'd hope they've started to filter out of the fleets now...I think they've been gone for many months. You'll probably get an Exploder or Jeep, or maybe even a new Equinox - I know those are in fleets here.