Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Has never happened to us yet but wouldn't mind either as since retired, I have the time. And getting either cash, preferred, or a free air trip is a great compensation to be a few hours late. Just need to let the car rental place and hotel know of the change and all is good. The extra cash would always be welcome on a trip where one can never have enough cash. Maybe we'll luck out when we travel in October to Milwaukee.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited March 2013
    MKE is a decent airport and far less intense than MDW. Don't know where in Chicago you are going, but you mentioned ORD was closer, so I'm guessing North side or north/west suburbs. Probably around 1 - 1.5 hours if you avoid rush hour. Remember that IL is like NJ, as soon as you cross the border from WI you'll be hit with tolls! As an added bonus, neither MDW nor MKE have near the ATC flow control problems as ORD, so you're less likely to be delayed or cancelled.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks Berri, even though we lived in Madison for a little while in '84 and have cruised south a few times, we've never spent any time in Milwaukee. Plan to at least drive through there next month after flying in/out of ORD.

Green Bay was easy, but we didn't think about the Oshkosh fly-in and had a heck of a time lining up a rental car the one time we flew in there.
    If you fly Southwest, the fares are pretty comparable to MDW and there are no bag fees which can save you some. Plus SWA is all B737 service, no commuters. Parking is much cheaper in MKE as well. Only issue I can think of is that SWA has limited nonstop destinations out of MKE compared to MDW, so some east coast may be thru BWI and some west thru DEN. If you haven't flown them, their boarding process is a little different, but it actually works and their resulting quick turns get's them an extra flight out of many of their aircraft each day (plus the employees mostly seem to actually smile and have a good attitude). If you go stand-by you can almost forget it now with the load factors all of the carriers have. Not unusual any more for airline retirees to end up flying someone else because of the pass problems these days, so you might find a United retiree on your SW flight!
    edited March 2013
    We're using up the last of the air miles with this trip and plan to mostly stick with driving for a while. ORD was about the only option that would let our other connections work and we have some activities planned for Chicago for a couple of days too, so it'll be fine this time. TSA and weather permitting, lol.

You must know that my sister is a retired UAL flight attendant. :shades: She won't use her passes any more; hates the idea of getting stranded and they changed the system when they merged with Continental so her seniority apparently doesn't count for much.

But mostly she can't figure out the computer system to get a pass. :D
    Yes, we're going to Wilmette after we go to downtown Chicago. Thanks for the tolls tip...I usually bring about 100 $100 bills whenever we travel for tips and such...have found that tipping the housecleaning folks gets me the extra's I need like towels and shampoos/conditioners. And even if I don't require any extra's, these folks work so hard that a few bucks here and there is probably appreciated. I know when I was working, when a customer threw me something, I was very appreciative of that gesture and I'd go the extra, extra mile for them. I went the extra mile for all my customers but the tippers got what they deserved. Funny thing, the wife just left to go do the taxes for an old customer I haven't seen since 2006!

Think we're going to go to Milwaukee first and then spend the weekend in Chicago and this time I want to go to the museum with the lions out front and walk the city a bit...see some real city life and that midwestern charm I've always heard about.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

The museum with the lions in Chicago - that would be the Art Institute on Michigan Ave. It's quite large in there (and don't forget the basement level).

Milwaukee will surprise you. It has several decent museums, a nice botanical garden and an excellent zoo. Plenty of German food and sausage if you're into it as well, but I'm not sure if there are any active breweries anymore. Actually there a number of nice Midwestern cities; Minneapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City and Indianapolis all come to mind. For a bit smaller towns, Omaha and Des Moines will surprise you as well.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I'm visiting the family here in California for a few days, and set up a rental car with Advantage while I'm here.

I booked an economy model for a total of $170. The rental location is off site (I flew into Burbank). No economy models available (shock!) so I'm upgraded gratis into a 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT. While over black leather, 11500 miles.

Not a bad little ride. The small turbo engine is pretty peppy, though the transmission seems to be a bit slow to respond to large throttle inputs. Still, I'm getting about 30 MPG in mixed driving so far.

The only issue was that it was completely out of washer fluid. I spent $3 to get a bottle and fill it up myself.
    Keep the receipt and I'm sure they'll reimburse you when you turn it in.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    you are a seriously big tipper for someone who seems to be pretty frugal. But be careful, carrying 10K in cash might make the TSA suspicious.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited March 2013
    I only tip for good service or if I want good service and carrying $100.00 in $1's is a lot of money? Well maybe yes...and maybe no. I spend $ where it needs spending and don't when it ain't required...simple, simple, simple! $10k in cash? You've got the wrong Sandman bud...seriously! I never ever carry more than $30 or so...ever as that's what credit and debit cards are for. I think I just respect money and know it can be used for good...but also bad. And really, this is the 1st time I've ever had a substantial amount of it that "I" control and it's a good feeling, really. Growing up, my folks controlled it and used it to get us to do things for them...they made us afraid of it. But Suze Orman showed me the truth about $, it's not to be feared...but respected and one must put people first, before money. My folks could never do this and even in death, my mom used it for evil from the grave but she will have to deal with G-d on that score...and probably has. I no longer fear it and want to use it for the good of my family. I no longer fear the power of $ because the power is really in ourselves! This is what I am teaching my kids and hopefully they will with theirs...it's o k to have an adult relationship with your money but keep it in it's proper place. Do not use it for evil, to pressure others so they bend to your will and for G-d's sake don't hold it over their heads...lessons my folks should have learned but didn't and it affected our relationship forever...money became more important than I, their son, and they paid the ultimate price by never knowing their blood grankids... and never caring to...they paid the ultimate price!

The Phylacophical and Spelling Challenged Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    I think it was a joke, you said you carry 100 $100 bills - maybe you are decimal point challenged instead of spelling challenged :P

Speaking of rental cars, a building I jog by has a "coming soon" sign, I think for Budget/Dollar, so I'll hopefully get to see what's new in the fleets.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    I was just making a witty playing off your typo, which I guess you did not catch:

".I usually bring about 100 $100 bills whenever we travel for tips "

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited March 2013
    My bad...didn't catch my typing error...never had it in high school so use the 2 finger approach. Sorry for any misunderstanding here. Just got home, at 9:30, from a long day...and it rained also. A Ft. Myers to Miami run and then 2 Lauderdale to Miami runs in rush hour traffic with a steady rain! Got a Kia Sedona van across the state, that sucker really has a light gas pedal with the 6 cylinder...kept creeping up to 80! Then had a new Sentra on the 1st Miami run which had just over 2100 miles but the brakes were sucky, the pedal went almost to the floor! They really need to check this out. And on the last run, got a new under 4k Toyota Highlander. Man, what a nice SUV but big...really big! Drove flawlessly and I loved it especially in the pouring rain.

Unfortunately, more drama at work. Seems someone got ticked at me for picking the cars I did...crazy sh-t really! I see a vehicle in the line I like, I walk over to it...end of story. But others think I should wait until they choose which is ridiculous...it's not like I run over and besides, I walk with a cane so really, how fast can I go? This needless drama is making a fun job a real pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. In the chase van, I just put on my headphones and rock out to my music. Hate to be anti-social but enough is enough. And most things I say are ignored anyways...we have too many "A" personalities and I'm just not one of them. Like tonight, i mentioned I introduced myself to the other chase driver that everyone hates and they all gave me sh-t! Told them I did nothing wrong and always treat people nicely upon meeting them. If they do me wrong at some point, I'm done but always give folks the benefit of the doubt. Well this went over like a lead balloon & some of the comments I got were downright rude. Hey, I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't...I just can't win here with all these stupid personalities. So now, it's just "hello" and "goodbye" as I'm there to work and for the paycheck, nothing more. Too have a few laughs is just a bonus.

Then on the way down, one of the real "a-holes" was saying that folks who have no other income should get 1st shot at working and folks like "me" who have income should work less. Now what a stupid thing to say...i need the cash just as much as the others since the wife lost her main job March 1st. $1000.00/mth. cut in household income hurts folks so I'm not playin' that game. If he calls, I'm gonna work...period. he already asked us to take a day off this week and I told him sure if that makes it so everyone can work. I ain't going to be the only one though...that wouldn't be fair to me. All I want is to be treated Fairly and like everyone else...no one should get special favors though the guy who came up with this ridiculous idea does...the boss just favors him and gives him the most hours. Pointless work drama...don't want or need it so plan to just keep very quiet from now on and watch my back. I'll still be friendly but more reserved and keep the iPod on most of the time. Got my paycheck today...finally. Put a smile on my face! :)

The Reserved Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

You guys should have a system - everyone walks out to their chosen car, and if two people want the same car, just flip a coin. No drama, nothing unfair, eventually everyone will get something to make them happy. For the rest, that's just the immature crap that modern so-called "adults" try to pull off. It's everywhere.

I hope you get a Sixt run again soon, they should have a nice E with Sirius on it waiting for you :shades:
    Or draw the keys out of a sack and if two people want to swap rides, fine.

No fair memorizing fob shape and feel. :shades:
    That's actually a perfect idea - bag o'keys - just pick and move on. Eventually everyone will get lucky. And maybe make it so if people want to trade, they can.

Hint: MBs just have fobs, no traditional keys, so feel around for that :shades:
    lol, will have to have a designated key picker from the bag.

Some people supposedly can pick out certain letters from bags of Scrabble tiles.
    Sounds fair to me actually. And funny thing is, I'm the first to ask someone who I know has a preference to swap vehicles if in fact I do get one of them...have done it numerous times already even with the person causing all this drama. Makes me happy to make them happy and truth be told, I'm happy to drive almost anything...there's only a couple of vehicles that I really don't like to drive. I tend to be flexible when it comes to this but I realized long ago that this isn't a two street so I expect nothing in return...doing something nice for someone else only feels good when nothing is expected in return, the gift of doing something nice for another individual is reward enough. And if the favor is returned, so much the better for both parties, it's a win/win situation. Playing it forward is the way I prefer to live my life where nothing is expected in return, it's the happiness of giving that is awesome in itself! I like to be a team player as when we are that, we all win. And truthfully, it takes very little to make me happy and put a smile on my face...always has been. I relish in the little things in life, find joy in the small stuff so it's truly outstanding when something big happens. Call me crazy...they think I'm already a little touched as I come to work with a big grin on my face and haven't "burnt out" yet like they've all told me I would. I still feel like a kid in a toy store every day and thank G-d for such a wonderful opportunity in life!

Hoping we get to do another Key West or Jacksonville run soon and get a fun vehicle to drive with like a sunroof and SiriusXM so I can "get into the zone" for a few hours. These little trips are o k but the longer ones are the best. We sometimes drive caravan style or meet up for a meal but the majority of the time, i just cruise along at "Sandman speed" and do my own thing. I like to touch and feel things in the vehicles and listen to the engine, car guy stuff to see why some vehicles are nicer than others and as to why some excite me more than others to begin with. Like last night, both times they had the 10 vehicles lined up bumper to bumper and I only had a short time to look down the aisle to see which one I wanted to drive. I love it when i see three or four that would be just perfect as if someone takes one, there's always a few more that will work just as good for me. There's still so many that I haven't driven and some that I really need more road time with. So no matter what here, I'm good and most of them have the features that everyone wants. Things like SiriusXM or a sunroof are just the icing on the cake for me. And I still want to try some of the bigger vehicles like a Tahoe or even a Suburban...why not try 'em all once. The Expedition is one that really intrigues me now as I've heard that they are very easy to drive and their large size isn't really a factor at all. I must admit though that with the higher winds with the rainstorms and the brisk acceleration of the Sedona, there were a few times where my heart was up in my throat and I grabbed that wheel for dear life. I did notice that I did keep the speed down and wouldn't use the cruise in traffic or really squally weather...I wanted that extra control and really needed it at times. At first I thought I was driving the 8 cylinder engine one but found out later that Kia only makes the 6 and 4 cylinder automatics, it was that powerful and just some slight pressure on the gas pedal made this van take off. Bet the 4 is a very fast vehicle also just not as touchy there. it's funny, there were 9 Dodge caravans and this one Sedona lined up and a really nice co-worker mentioned to me how nice they drive, the same guy who always tried to snag me a Mustang. he's a super cool guy and comes from a family of very talented and well known singers. he told me to get the Sedona if possible as I'd really enjoy the ride. He's also a car nut and gets it so he leads me to some fun vehicles he knows I'll like...and he hasn't let me down once yet!

edited March 2013
    "When the Federal Trade Commission approved Hertz's $2.3 billion takeover of rival Dollar Thrifty last November, the great consolidation wave of the U.S rental car industry reached its endgame, and nine major competitors had been whittled down to three.

Now, as the trio settles in for the long haul, they are getting ready for the next phase: less competition, more price rises."

The Oligopoly Making Car Rental More Expensive (Wall St. Journal)

(Oligopoly - why does that word sound so familiar? :shades: ).
    edited March 2013
    I prefer National/Alamo anyway, but that's still not good. I guess in a market oligarchy, oligopoly makes perfect sense. You get the justice you pay for.

Sixt will probably only exist at major airports, at least in the foreseeable future. They seem to have virtually no advertising/promotion, and I have read their service can be kind of quirky compared to what the usual American renter expects.
    That seems to be the case but do love the high end vehicles they offer as they give the customer a great variety in choice. A great way to try out a vehicle to see if it fits into your daily life. For a small fee, one can really get to use it in real life situations to see if one really wants to make a long term commitment. After a house or condo, a vehicle is probably the 2nd most important and expensive choices people make in their lives and no one wants to make an error with thousands and thousands involved. Rent it for a few days or a week and you will definitely know the good and /or bad points and get the real deal on things like seat comfort and switch gear usage. So many times a vehicle is great for the quick test drive but it's on that 4 hour road trip that serious problems can and do arise and then what? Doing a little homework and spending some quality time with your choice makes all the difference in the world as we all want to love the vehicles we purchase. Can you imagine buying something and finding out next month that you really hate the thing and having it in your garage or parking space is a daily reminder of the bad and expensive decision you made. Oy vey!

Sixt does have a diverse lineup and good rates for highlines. Most rental brands have many brands nowadays, unlike in the past where some seemed to prefer certain brands. But, I have read some complaints about hard selling of expensive tack on items, and slow service. I suspect something has been lost in translation when it comes to company policy. In Germany, you won't be in and out of a Sixt rental office in 45 seconds like you can with many brands in the US, either - but it isn't slow. I have only used Sixt when renting in Europe - their rates are competitive, and they generally have the best cars - they often have highly optioned vehicles in the fleet.

Renting a car before buying is a smart idea. There aren't a lot of vehicles that it isn't possible to rent, today. I had a Sixt E-class for 8 days out of Fort Lauderdale last year, that gave me some idea about what I would be getting into.
    I read Sixt is now open in Tampa - you might get to make a long distance run, sandman.
    Hope to soon...and finally get my E Class or a GLK wagon. I enjoy working for Sixt actually though they do their paperwork differently than the others we service. Did get to drive a Passat yesterday from West Palm to Miami for Hertz and it was just o k...actually prefer the Jetta as it's the perfect size, at least for me. Over lunch earlier, told the wife again I like the 180" size, give or take, and plan on a small ute next go round for me. She's just worried about parking on my side of the garage but that should not be an issue. I will do the garage test while test driving it just to make sure it will fit. Did this in the mid 80's for an Oldsmobile 88 and found that it was just too large for her side so got the Cutlass Supreme which was a perfect fit. But told her no more vehicles that I have to drop down into as I'm getting too old for that and also want a nicer ride next time. Power everything for my final vehicle...and I will get exactly what I want no matter what to!! :)

With all the drama at your current job, maybe you should see if there's a position open with a company, directly. Might be better working conditions.

I don't want a car that's too big,either. I live in a fairly congested area that can have iffy parking, anything above E-class size can be too much.
    I applied to a couple...haven't heard back yet. Avis turned me down flat, probably because of my age. Am patient but do have a friend working at a different company who I've mentioned that I am looking...he's supposed to inquire for me so we'll see. I just know that I'm pretty unhappy where I'm out now but it was an open door when all the others were closed so I do owe them something. But the Hertz position would be the best by far! I hope and pray!

edited March 2013
    Maybe there's another company who contracts to move the cars?

Speaking of rentals, a friend of mine is going to Orlando later this year, found stupid cheap airfare ($280 RT from SEA on Delta, so I can get miles), and talked me into coming along. I've already booked my car, getting a Sixt E-class for $38.xx/day.
    Now that's an outrageous price! Damn...for an E Class? Bet I could get a C Class for maybe $32/day. I really need to check it out but knowing me, I'd never want to give it back! Then I'd be forced to get a cpo'd unit before my time table kicks in. Seriously, I plan to keep to the plan and wait until 2016 or 2017 before I do swap out my vehicle...just makes no sense to get rid of the Civic before then unless my boy really needs and wants a vehicle. The wife won't trade mine for hers, I've asked her to let me have the Mazda and she just take the Civic as her d d but she said "no". This really is not a bad idea and I'd use the Mazda for a bit and then cut it loose. So since these two scenarios don't seem to be going to happen, I'm gonna just wait it out. But then when that time comes, anything will be possible and I will have more $ to boot as I plan to invest my small windfall when I do get it...lawyers really suck!

Funny thing, the C (one class lower in their grid) was actually $5/day more. I know the E will have standard nav and should have working satellite radio, so those are kind of free bonuses making it a real bargain.

For your car, I still think you need to go for it at least once. It's your money, and you can't take it with you :shades:
    Well, that is the plan especially after the "sign" I got yesterday while driving. In a lull in traffic, three vehicles passed me in a row and then another lull...it was like a message from above! Leading off the trifecta was a RX 330, then a C Class with a 3 Series bringing up the rear. I knew it was a sign, absolutely and am willing to wait it out till the time is right as the Civic is running like a top, really outstanding except it does need an oil change which will happen next week.

Nice, that might be a sign. And a trouble of trading up - you are usually parting with a car that is just fine by itself. Hard to justify, I just went through it 6 weeks ago.

Your Civic might outlast all of us :)
    Absolutely, the Civic is so flawless that I can't find a single thing wrong except the headliner isn't quite right and I need to call them to come back and fix it...the glue didn't take over the whole thing so it's just not flush. But that's it really. Tires are newish, needs an oil change and have decided to hold off on the new head unit for the time being. Best to get the wife situated and then I can sneak in my purchase as I do not want to upset the better half. Funny, we usually go in the Mazda, can't remember the last time she was in the Civic.

But try as I might, there's no justification for trading the Civic...none! I do plan to check out a few used units I've found online just to see if I really could live with an RX as it might be a bit too big for my side of the garage actually. Length wise I think it just would fit but it is a wider vehicle which could pose a problem as the wife doesn't always stay 100% on the left side...luckily I'm pretty thin and can squeeze in between them. Also need to see if the step up is too much for my leg to get into the thing. I do like the dash layout though it is a bit outdated compared to the newer version but I absolutely love the wood on the steering wheel and throughout the dash...a nice upscale touch. Lexus does a nice job with their interiors and it'll probably drive Toyota smooth. The light blue is my favorite color also and I've found a few. And I'd be that using 87 octane would work out just fine as I'm not crazy over getting superior mileage figures. I would be a very happy camper to have one of these puppies on my side of the garage!

I guess what they say is true, happy wife happy life :shades:

One good thing about the Civic is that if you do part with it, it will be easy to sell for a good price, or will make a good gift for someone.

The Lexus will no doubt be smoother than the German cars. The Germans excel at a composed highway ride, but some can be a little coarse on rough suburban roads.
    Was outside reading the paper earlier and had the garage up and noticed how nice the Civic really is after it's been washed and cleaned up...people think it's really a brand new vehicle even though it's almost 7. Even the Mazda looks good after it got it's bath last weekend...we took it to dinner tonight and it drove great and the a/c blowing out cold air on #3 so all is good.

Got onto Auto Trader earlier and found a whole bunch of RX350's near here but the miles are high with prices to match. Even the '07 with 55k on the clock was around the $20k price point...a lot to pay for such an old vehicle as the new generation offers so much more. Also, they had an article in the paper's automobile section about used C Classes from the last generation and it said the '06 & '07 models had the 7 speed auto trannys in them and were the better value. They also liked the styling of that generation a bit more than the current one which I tend to agree with...it looks to be a smaller vehicle which I do like. I'd be thrilled to find a lower mileage '07 in that taupe color they had which was absolutely stunning...like the MB much better than the current 3 Series also though the last generation 3 is a nice looking ride also. But need to get the wife all situated first and then I can "quietly" swing a possible deal for myself. I think the age and possible repair expenses will be the two things that bother her the most...she'd think I was crazy to purchase such an older vehicle for almost the price of a brand new econocar. And then every time it would need a repair, man I'd never hear the end of the "I told you so's". But the heart wants what it wants and mine wants more for the next vehicle, more in the sense of more lux and less econo feel. I want a power seat with leather or high line cloth and have no problem with a small 6 as long as it is a real lux vehicle. And figuring $20k cash plus my Civic out the door to get the job done should work.

Got a text about a couple of runs in the morning so all is good. After these two days off, I'm ready to go and rock and roll a bit. Hopefully we'll have enough for an 8 hour day but we'll see what pans out...could be more than the scheduled two. I'm up for anything here!

edited March 2013
    Cars age better than they used to, that's for sure. Where say in 1983, a 1976 car could look like a lost cause, in 2013, a 2006 car can look new.

I'd spend a little more and get the 2010+ RX, smoother design. For the C, I would look for a 2012+ car, the post facelift cars have a nicer interior design IMO, and have the LEDs that some like. For these entry lux cars, leasing can sometimes be easier than buying, too - no worries about repairs. I know your wife would cringe, but it is sometimes nice to have no strings attached when it comes to a more expensive car. There will be some sweetheart leases on these cars as the model ages off.

Good luck getting a nice new rental to drive.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I still don't think the HyunKia group holds up over time. When I get a rental with 20k on it there is a distinct difference between the Hyundai/Kias and the rest of the pack. You get what you pay for, and while they've made great strides they are still cheap for a reason.
    And I haven't found that to be the case with the few high mileage ones I have driven. But the jury is still out here so time will tell. I do know that our '08 Accent is as perfect at 20k as it was at 100 miles, the things is just wonderful. I will definitely keep my eyes open to see more high mileage rental units and how they age.

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Try a Dodge Avenger or Chrysler Sebring/200 after 20k miles in a rental fleet...anything else will feel as solid as a bank vault in comparison! Except maybe a Fiat 500...
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    My step-mom has a 2007 Sonata that she bought from Carmax with 28k miles on it. It had been a rental car for about 18 months prior to her buying it. It is now six years old with almost 120k miles on it and it still looks and drives great. The cloth interior and carpeting show little sign of wear and mechanically it has never had any issues. The silver paint and plastic exterior trim also looks like new.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    Funny, all the 200's that I've driven with over 18k on the clock have been as good as the newer ones, they drive just a smooth and look great inside. Guess I've been lucky with the one's I've driven. Dodge/Chrysler are making some great vehicles lately that are very competitive in this market place. Looking in yesterday's paper, they are also priced very competitively to...both going for round the $20k mark which is a bargain for a mid sized vehicle. I'd have no problem purchasing one of these for my d d, heck, if the new Dart is as good as these two vehicles and as smooth, it might just be on my short list!

Got to drive a brand new Mustang vert today with just under 1400 on the clock and was very impressed with the vehicle...comfortable front seat which was a grippy cloth and a very smooth ride. It accelerated very briskly and would've put down the top but the ride was only about 30 minutes so didn't make much sense. Now if I went to Tampa or Orlando, that top would've gone down in a nano second! Good job Ford!

For my second run I got a GMC Terrain and again, it was an impressive vehicle though I didn't care for it's looks...pretty butt ugly really but the thing was comfortable and a real smooth cruiser. Easy steering and a nice overall vehicle with plenty of room though I'd never ever buy one of these. It does get the job done if one needs a smaller SUV. Almost got into a Ford Expedition but felt it was a bit too big so I passed. ALso passed on the Suburban for it's size also though one day I might not have this choice but when I do, I always go for a sedan or coupe.

Saw a Hertz Infiniti FX today, driver was laying into it and taking advantage of that Infiniti noise. Something I noticed - bent up front license plate. What's with that? I see a lot of rentals with bent front plates.
    edited April 2013
    Had one of these today for my run from Key Largo to Key West...not a bad driver at all though I got down to the "E" on the gas gauge. The car had a little amount in the tank and the worker insisted it was only 90 miles and I'd be fine. Ended up turning the a/c off half way there to conserve fuel and I just made it into the parking lot of Dollar's facility...I did say a prayer though numerous times as getting stuck with no gas was not something I wanted to do...just piss off the boss more! Did notice the cruise control stalk looked just like a Toyota unit. I swear, he just does not like me for some reason so I've given up trying...I just answer his few questions and that's it, no more small talk and I'll never sit up in the front seat...tend to stay way in the back with my headphones on. I had the whole rear seat to myself on the ride back to Miami so I stretched out and went to sleep...think I even fell asleep for part of the ride, I know I missed the pit stop & no one told me. Guess they saw me asleep & assumed I didn't need to use the men's room...I tend to drink less when I know we are working!

Those are still in the fleets? I could have sworn they were out of production. My highest mile rental (40K+) was an Enterprise Galant - which had held up very well, much nicer than a 25K mile Spectra I had before it.
    We moved three that day and I do believe you are right...they are out of production. Have been off for a couple of days as I had some obligations to take care of...it was good to get away from that situation for a bit. Texted my boss that as of tomorrow, I'm free again if he needs me...and if not, that's o k to! Life will go on no matter what! I'm so happy to have this opportunity no matter what!

Saw a couple of Hertz (or Sixt, if they are finally in the SEA fleet) C-class yesterday, and a lost driver in a rental Subaru Legacy sedan - might be kind of a northwest thing.

This area used to have some rental Mitsu Eclipse on the road - they seem to have vanished too.
    I checked the other day and Sixt hadn't updated their fleet for Seattle. Or they hadn't updated the web page. Let me know if you hear anything. ETA is the 16th.
    Did this run in a newish blue Chevy Malibu...it had Sirius so I was very happy...and it drove very well. Nothing offensive about this vehicle and the styling is starting to grow on me especially the rear lights which look great...seems Chevy agrees and is using this treatment on some other models to! Doing a repeat run in the morning and would be happy to have another if that's what happens. We left at 9 and got back a little after 5 so it's an almost whole day affair. Luckily I slept the majority of the way back so all is good. Those pesky personalities are rearing their ugly heads again...seems to be the older retired guys who like to prove they got it...all they're proving is that their tremendous a-holes!

I see nothing listed either no matter the input date - but I do notice $99/week specials on Elantra size cars, which is insanely cheap for SEA.

One of these days, I might just drive down to the Sixt location and stalk it out.