Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saturn VUE

Comments

• Options
    drivvendrivven Member Posts: 54
    I think Infinite Lucy is jealous because he/she doesn't have an organizer in the rear of the beloved Kia. Our 2004 V6 Vue has the organizer and it's been one of the handiest things we've ever encountered. We've used it hundreds of times and even though it looks flimsy it's not split or broken in any manner in all the times we've used it.

As for the overall performance/durability of the vehicle, we've got well over 30K miles on it with nary a problem and we still enjoy it very, very much. The Honda engine is a dream, the size/utility of the vehicle is perfect for us and if we had to do over again, I'm sure we'd still choose a Vue. Contrary to some ill-informed opinions, the vehicle is not crap.
  • Options
    mtenamtena Member Posts: 58
    Pretty handy, and it folds away so nicely when not needed. We had it in our 2003 VUE, with no problems at all, and I'm glad that it's in our 2006 vehicle as well.
  • Options
    cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    My wife purchased an extended service plan for her 2002 Vue AWD last year when her 36000/3 year expired. Let me tell you it ain't cheap. $85 a month. The Saturn for the most part has been a good vehicle but I keep thinking if I'd been able to put that $85 aside in a savings account, we'd be better off just paying outright for any future repairs covered under that warranty. Just my opinion, hell I only PAY the bills at my house... :cry:
  • Options
    Heaven help Saturn if Daewoo is going to supply them with Saturns! You can see what a fiasco that relationship has been if you view the Suzuki Verona Forums. The car is such junk that it it won't even be built in 2007. In my opinion and I have owned 2 Saturns and 3 Chevrolets, GM is going down far and fast. I just purchased a Hyundai Sonata and would like to have replaced my 95 Saturn SC2 with another Saturn but there is nothing on the lot that even comes close to the Sonata in looks or value.
  • Options
    uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    We bought the Car Care plan when we bought our VUE new in January 2005. I like it as the plan includes paying for all manufacturer recommended service for 5 years/60k miles. It's an insurance policy, that's all. If you never need it, you wasted your money. If you need it, then it's a good thing you had it. Just enjoy the peace of mind and don't worry too much that you paid too much money for the extended warranty.
  • Options
    I am not real impressed with Saturn's lineup right now, either. However, there is much on the horizon. Here now is the Sky. In the near future is the hybrid VUE; and, coming this fall (I believe) is the Aura and the Outlook comes out by next Spring (I think). The ION is on its way out and the VUE will be all new for 2008. Don't give up on Saturn just yet.
  • Options
    Well I have the car that will carry me hopefully for the next several years and my wife puts little mileage on the VUE every year so expect it will last quite a while as well. If Saturn is still around come say 2012 or 2015 I may consider them again. However GM may not be around then!
  • Options
    gsatgsat Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 VUE, 4 cyl, FWD.
    Overall, the vehicle has been satisfactory, mileage OK, highway ride and power definitely adequate (why do people insist that 85-90 is a minmum speed on I-5?), with several trips over Donner Pass and no accelration hassles. It's far more comfortable to drive than our '97 SL.
    We have had four issues: The VUE has the CVT automatic. It
    had to have a major transmission rebuild at less than 24,000 miles. Second, a computer module went out had to be replaced. Third, the original CD player was junk, the replacement (factory) has been just fine. Fourth, a computer controller has had to be reset twice (car develops an intermittant hesitation when accelerating from a stop). My one design quibble (and it's minor): The back cargo hatch and cargo are dimensions are just a tad undersized.
    If the hatch opening (interior dimensions) was 2" wider and
    2" taller, I'd have saved on a couple of pickup truck rentals.
    We bought the maintenance package, and it's been worth it, especially on a low-miler that get's its oil changed every 3 months.
    I agree with earlier posted comments about excessive wind noise with the rear windows down. There's a definite thump thump thump thump thump from the wind, especially at about 35 mph.
    As to the complaints about finish, rusting exterior mudflap screws, etc. Well, that does happen when a car is built to a price point. I looked at the L series when it came out. The trunk looked cheaper than that of the 1974 Vega I owned way, way back
    I have a feeling that Saturn is/has been used by GM as a "test bed" for new technologies...the polymer panels, the CVT automatic, the Green line hybrid, the exterior fluid filter on the standard automatic transmission come to mind. As to the MPG...ours is ok. In closing, price was right, problems not out of line for new technology (or other cars I've owned...don't get me started on the Austin America.) :)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    I think the LAST thing the Vue needs is downsizing. I find storage in the 2002 Vue we have sorely lacking in usable space now. But then this is a (sigh) GM....
  • Options
    The new VUE will be smaller because the new Outlook will be larger.
  • Options
    I understand that but why penalize one model by downsizing it, making it LESS useful, to entice people into another over size SUV model. GM is basically run by idiots. They are sacrificing a fairly good model, driving away repeat buyers to force them into a larger more gas guzzling, harder to park, obviously more expensive model. Nothing says the Outlook (sounds like a Microsoft product, no?)Will be a better vehicle? Does GM really NEED another gas guzzling SUV in the now endless line up of gas guzzling SUVs? Do you see my point?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are interested in purchasing the Saturn Vue Green Line. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, August 15, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    I don't think the Outlook will be that big--I understand it'll be about the size of an Explorer. It's the same thing Honda does. If you want a fancier CR-V, you're out of luck. You have to move to Pilot. Same thing here.
  • Options
    fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    Why is this suv getting unfavorable reviews
    is it because of the carry over from previous years?

This suv doesn't look to bad, mpg. is average, cargo capacity is good and it seems that it would be a very practical suv.
  • Options
    is it because of the carry over from previous years?

That could be part of it - Karl remembers being underwhelmed (actually more like cramped) in a Saturn in '93. But he's coming around:

2007 Saturn Aura Road Test -- The Best Saturn Yet?

The Consumer Ratings at the top of the page are pretty high on the Vue. You'll have to drill down to get to previous years since there's only one rating for the '07 so far - the '06 average is 8.9.
  • Options
    lahirilahiri Member Posts: 394
    Typical of GM. I paid $1700 to extend my 99 Blazer's warranty to 5 year/ 75,000 miles - I extended the warranty roughly after 1 year of purchasing it new. Actually, I needed so many repairs including tranny repairs in first year that I had little choice but to cover my rear end.

I have now traded the Blazer in for a CR-V. I have also bought a 7 year/ 100,000 miles warranty for just $210! And, the price of the warranty reflects the quality.
  • Options
    lahirilahiri Member Posts: 394
    As per Edmund's review, Saturn has dropped the CVT due to quality issues. So, I suggest get rid of this vehicle before you get sick of calling tow trucks.
  • Options
    martianmartian Member Posts: 220
    Saw one yesterday-the leather seats looked really nice. Anybody know what years were made?
  • Options
    Never heard of it--maybe it someone's personal handiwork?
  • Options
    speedingticketspeedingticket Member Posts: 33
    I am seriously thinking about an Outlook after seeing the 2008 Vue. As an owner of an '06 Vue, I am glad I did not wait for the '08. It is a very very weak attempt at an update for a second generation model. I am hoping the performance is spectacular because its nothing special in the exterior looks department. The next Vue is PLAIN PLAIN PLAIN! I hope the Aura and Outlook do well because this one should sell even less than the Relay! :confuse: I am assuming they will drop the sticker price by thousands to move this one off the lots.....
  • Options
    joshmel1joshmel1 Member Posts: 5
    The only problem I have with our 2004 Saturn Vue V6 is the resale value. I did not expect it to be great, but oh my do these things depreciate quickly.

Josh :surprise:
  • Options
    I have a 2004 VUE, which I like. However, I hear some clicking noises in the front, when I hit a bump. My 2001 L100 had the same probolem-the front antisway bar links wore out in 19,000 miles-is the design the same?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a large local newspaper seeks speak to new Saturn buyers and why they purchased the Saturn vehicle. Please provide your daytime contact info to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, September 28, 2006.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    nelsonnelson Member Posts: 3
    I too have a 2004 Vue, and I have had lots of problems with the front end. I replaced the front end link kit, wheel bearings in the front after only 50 000kms! I now have a strong rattling noise in the front passenger side when I hit a bump? The front end feels like it is about to fall apart. Not impressed at all! Nobody seems to know the problem. Anybody out there, have any suggestions?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a large daily newspaper is looking to speak to current or previous Saturn owners that went to the homecoming events in Springhill, TN sometime around 1994 and 2000. Please provide your daytime contact info to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, October 20, 2006.
  • Options
    hwyhobohwyhobo Member Posts: 265
    I apologize if this was addressed earlier, but I searched the discussion the best I could and did not find the answer.

In the photo gallery I found two pictures of the front of the vehicle that look totally different even though the captions say it is the same vehicle. Here they are:

Front #1
    Front #2

What's the story?
  • Options
    ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    #1 is the current VUE
    #2 looks like the current VUE Redline
  • Options
    hwyhobohwyhobo Member Posts: 265
    Redline? I'm looking at the descriptions on Edmunds, but no "Redline". Is that a future model? Something discontinued? :confuse:
  • Options
    Looking at the properties for the photos, I think the first one is a "generic" VUE pic that was used for the 2006 model - I'm not sure of the naming conventions but it looks like the photo dates from 2002.

The second photo looks to be a 2006 shot. Available on V6 models is an optional Red Line Package from Saturn.

A redesign is set for 2008 and there's a 2008 Saturn Vue (Opel Antera) discussion about the new one you can check out.
  • Options
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Saturn VUE
  • Options
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • Options
    tharthar Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Vue...it wobbles in the body/seat and the steering wheel vibrates/shakes.....it was certified 150 popint checklist but they will not take it back nor can they fix it
  • Options
    tharthar Member Posts: 2
    I like the leg room and I think it has good storage...I am scared it will always wobble til it breaks --- before I pay off the 11k ...I just can't see wobbling down the road for 125 mi a day for 5 years...it is driving me crazy.....links replaced univ assembly kit replaced....doesn't anyone know hoew to fix this??????
  • Options
    louis1971louis1971 Member Posts: 1
    I had a rattle/squeak that would come from either side on an 04 Vue when going over bumps.

They first replaced the brake caliper pin and bracket, which had nothing to do with it, because the noise wasn't when braking.

Then they went for the sway bar links, but still nothing.

Finally, they nailed it by replacing the strut tower. You'd think the fact that I told them the noise was coming from the strut in the first place, would have pointed them in the right direction, but anyway, it's fixed now.
  • Options
    gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Since Saturn is part of GM and since GM I read is giving 100k warrantys now. Does Saturn fall under that?
  • Options
    Oh I found it 100k 5 year powertrain. Not sure if thats enough. I thought it was bumper to bumper.
  • Options
    taintedvuetaintedvue Member Posts: 1
    So how did they work out. I am going through the same dilema, especially since people (GM people) have said that it will negatively affect the braking computer, speedometer, and even cause a "service engine soon" warning to come on.
  • Options
  • Options
    (Under warranty)-totally worn out at 20,000 miles. They have had this problem for 5 years now-why did they use this rather fragile link design? The old "hershey" links worked well, and were cheap to replace (not that they ever wore out). Anyway, GM probaly save 5 cents/car with the new design-wonder what their warranty costs were!
  • Options
    I just read in the other forum that they are going to change the panels to metal from plastic in 2008. How stupid is Saturn. Thats one thing that is a plus. I have never seen a Saturn with the plastic panels that looked bad. They get a good technology and then dump it to save a buck. The VUE imo was a very good looking SUV now the 2008 looks like a Hyundai. GM is going to go under for sure.

More and more it looks like I will be staying with imports. It's a shame, those plastic panels were what made Saturn standout.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/autos/columnists.nsf/danwiese/story/A92A51B5B77- - 3B04E8625724A0057B0F3?OpenDocument
  • Options
    wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    Those Hyundais must look good, then! :shades:

I have a 2003 that I bought new. It just passed 38,000 miles on the odometer, and ZOUNDS! This has been one great vehicle up to this point. I am thinking I would rather have an automatic than this standard tranny model, but it runs like a top. The factory recall for the rear suspension was easy to get handled, although I never had ANY problem with the suspension on this particular Vue. I can't say I am particularly moved one way or the other about any change in the body panel materials coming up. I may eventually need an Aura...
  • Options
    Well I can take the VUE off my list. I have never seen so many complaints before. Between engines, transmissions loose parts, loose suspensions, sensors going bad, lousey service.

You know I was about to give Saturn a shot. Even though my parents owned a Pontiac van 2 years ago that was a nightmare. I figured heck this Vue looks like it could be a good thing. But reading the forums of past history just convinced me to look elsewhere. Also I think CR has a good record on what is good and bad. I don't like the VUEs past history.
  • Options
    I got a leather wrapped shift knob for Christmas-anyone know how you remove the factory knob? No setscrew that I can see-and I tried unscrewing it. Anyone know?
  • Options
    Just contact your Saturn dealer service manager. They have always been helpful with any question I asked...
  • Options
    gjagja Member Posts: 28
    2007 Saturn Vue AWD
    What's the knob under the center left ac vent for ?
  • Options
    wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    I have found that far and away more time is spent for complaints than anything else in a significant percentage of these forums. Don't let that scare you too much. I'll tell you that my Vue 2003 2WD has been excellent.
  • Options
    oitsuboboitsubob Member Posts: 5
    Are you looking at the dial-like knob? It brightens or dims your instrument panel. ;)
  • Options
    jr1jr1 Member Posts: 9
    I am considering a new saturn vue v6 awd. I like input from owners or drivers of the awd vue and how they handle in the snow and on snowy and slippery hills. I know you can stall out on these hills with traction control,etc.
    Does your awd work well in snow and on slippery hills? Gas mileage suffers lots?
    Will it take chains ok with clearances on the wheel openings? What snow tires if any do you use on your vue?

Also, do you think the 08 Vue would be worth waiting for in lieu of the 07? If so, what will be the big differences.Thanks