Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius Navigation System Questions

2»

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited December 2010
    Just a reminder... the Edmunds forums cannot be used to organize legal actions and I'll have to remove posts that attempt to do so.

On the issue of GPS units that come with vehicles, generally I've noticed that those units seem to be more out of date than portable units. Heck, I just bought a $129 TomTom unit for my daughter as a Christmas gift that comes with free lifetime map updates.

My sister near Philly has one in a Honda van that's almost useless as far as I can tell. On a recent visit to her, we put in a destination that was only about 20 miles away an for some reason the GPS decided to route us through Pittsburgh! :surprise:
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2010
    I have the Prius V with the Navigation system. When i press the "Audio" button on the Navigation system, i get to see all my presets for FM, SAT, and AM in a tabbed format. But after about 10 seconds, the screen defaults back to the Map view even though i am not using the Maps for guidance or directions. How can i have it set so that the "Audio" screen stays put when i press it, instead of defaulting to the Map screen.
  • kdvkdv Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same question as dmathew347 in question #55.
  • gillianmgillianm Member Posts: 1
    Is it feasible to install the Nav DVD upgrade yourself or is it better to take to the dealer? Thanks.
  • kthonakkthonak Member Posts: 1
    I live in Alaska and our state has NEVER been included on the mapping for the Prius Nav system. So it is completely useless to us up here. What infuriates me is that every other make of car (inlcuding the Lexus!) has a functional and ACCURATE navigational system up here, but Toyota refuses to accomodate us in any way, claiming that their vendor hasn't included Alaska. So I think they should offer a substantail rebate to all PRIUS owners in Alaska, for an absolutely useless feature on our cars. I have called and e-mailed Toyota every year I have owned a Prius (now on my second one) and I just get pat answers; no real clue to their intent. I was told that their software vendor doesn't include Alaska and has no plans to in the future.......
  • krautnribskrautnribs Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem, partly due to the change of addresses when the 911 system in our area was implimented, So when I was at my home address I got the coordinates and added it as my home and it works fine from that point.
  • krautnribskrautnribs Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2011
    I posted this message in the wrong area (land cruiser) so am re-posting it here.

I was playing around with my Nav system by going into the mode to get the over ride. I noticed on one of the menus that was there is a list of maps so I clicked on the first one which happened t be Japanese. Now it says insert new disk, obviously I don't have one. What I can't do is get back to the original system. Now the menu button is dead, only have partial use of my blue tooth, and can't get back to the screen with the volume icon to get back where I screwed up. I've learned my lesson don't play with toys I have limited knowledge about.
  • joem5636joem5636 Member Posts: 1
    Just a guess, you might try forcing a reboot of the system by unplugging the boxes (under the driver's seat). There may be a button to do this, too.
  • gmkanegmkane Member Posts: 5
    try Ebay. I got a dvd from my lexus rx300 a couple years ago for $100.
  • jrcarrjrcarr Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2010 Prius although Hawaii, 1/100th the size of Alaska got there Prius updated last year. I paid $2500 for something I can't use and have complained but no one has replied. I love my Prius but will never buy a Toyota again, although this is the third time I bought a vehicle from them. When it is time to get a new car again next year, I will definitely shop somewhere else.
  • fabgomez43fabgomez43 Member Posts: 3
    I would love to know the answer to this, someone please!
  • aninklinganinkling Member Posts: 1
    I'm selling my Prius and want to wipe the phone and navigation information. I figure the easiest and best way is to reset all to factory ship condition. I certainly don't want to go through everything I've entered and delete each. Will factory reset do it and how? Thanks
  • jeff01jeff01 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2010 Prius. Navigation and the many options all work great. But the only thing that does not work, is that the navigation will not open up to put cds in. Pushed all the buttons and nothing happens. It says a cd is in there, but also does not play anything on cd. I dont know for sure if a cd is in there because I just bought it. Toyota dealer told me I need to pay $2500 for a used one to replace it or a new one for $5000. Anybody have any ideas how to get this open?
    Thank you