Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Transmission Problems

Comments

• kpsmith999kpsmith999 Member Posts: 46
    Good.....I wish everyone who has contributed to this forum would have filed a complaint. If so, there probably would have been a recall by now. Anyway, I was in the same situation as you were. Over a year out of warranty. I was also offered 75%, but said I wasn't satisfied. I finally mentioned "class action suit" and that seemed to get their attention and they came back and agreed to pay 100%. I would ask whoever you are talking to at Honda "what is the next appeal step". Good luck.
  • lori24lori24 Member Posts: 20
    Did it fix your problem? Why does it work on some, but not on others? This is the second time mine has been in and I am hearing something already. They put new transmission in the second time...59k.
  • gbredagbreda Member Posts: 11
    Filed complaint. Dont know if that will help those who still own one of these clunkers. Also, if it results in a class action suit, would I be included even though I have traded the vehicle in for another?
    For now....the noise has gone away. I have read several instances whereby a replacement has developed the same problem. I am no engineer, but I am inclined to believe this is either a design problem or the preplacement parts are also defective and after awhile the problem manifests itself again. I would keep good records, record the sound if you can and keep taking it back to the dealership and complaining. I know this is a time consuming problem, but the more times you take it in the better your chances are to build a case for future repairs.
    If a class action law suit does develop, I would think it would include any current or previous owners that suffered any financial loss or who require a fix. I am not a lawyer, but I am very sure the suit would be drafter this way.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    If a class action does develop and it's like most other settlements, you will probably get a coupon for something like a free oil change and the lawyers will make millions!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You've been reading the same articles that I have.

A case in which the only winners are lawyers (MSNBC)

Probably get further just hiring your own lawyer to chase 'em.
  • skietzskietz Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I also own a 2004 MDX that we purchased new. At about 60K the "grinding" noise started. We took the MDX to our Local dealer in Louisville and they could not duplicate the noise.

A month ago we took our MDX in for the 100K service at the dealer in Indianapolis to see if they could hear the noise and like most everyone else it was the Torque Converter. After a letter to Acura, and several calls to Acura customer service they would only agree to cover part of the cost and our price would be over $1800.

We have been quoted by a local Transmission store a price of $1200. Does anybody have a time line of how many miles before the TC begins to tear up the transmission? We are still trying to get Acura to pay for more, or all of the cost, but I don't want to let it go for much longer and take a chance of making things worse.

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, to be honest I'm not sure what the noise is whether it's normal or not. I don't know what normal is for this car! It kinda sounds like it again, but it's not consistent enough for me to take it back and complain yet..if it is the same problem it will get louder and more frequent as time goes on. I did call the dealership and American Honda to make them aware I am hearing something again. Just really frustrated as everyone else is, I'm shocked that this problem hasn't be corrected after all this time! Good Luck to you..
    I found that if you put it in crusie at the speed it makes the noise that it works every time. Mine started at around 51k I have an 06 but don't think that makes a difference. It's had a torque converter replaced in dec 09 then tansmission/tc in july 2010 and the next day I heard something that could be TC again not 100% sure yet, because its not loud or consistent enough yet! I've only had this car since Oct 09 and very disappointed, we bought it from an Acura dealership they should be responsbile also, they should have to disclose the issues with these cars!! Instead they act as though it's not a big deal, sure not to them it's not their money they are throwing away..Shame on them! Good Luck!
  • sommerfallsommerfall Member Posts: 7
    As an owner of a 2004 MDX with the same torque converter problems, I found the following very helpful when talking to my Acura dealer. Simply Google "American Honda Motor service bulletin #06003". This is a pdf of the actual service bulletin dated June 9, 2007, that deals not only with the vehicle problem, but also how dealerships should handle claims, both under and out of warranty.
    edited July 2010
    Sommerfall.....thanks for sharing the actual service bulletin. This is the first time that I have seen it. Even though it applies to model years 2003 and 2004, it is obvious that it should be extended to 2005 and 2006 at the very least given the number of identical torque converter issues.

Also, for those vehicle owners who are out of warranty, note that the service bulletin addresses this issue by stating that owners "may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office". This is not a full admission of guilt, but it is obvious that Honda/Acura is expecting many out of warranty vehicles to be submitted for repair.
  • skietzskietz Member Posts: 2
    Thanks also for a copy of the service bulletin! I personally work in sales at a Honda motorcycle dealership. My plans are to talk to our motorcycle service rep the next time he is here about my 2004 MDX. I will post if he can help give me any additional information.

My wife just sent her second nasty letter to Acura customer service today to complain about them only offering to pay 20% of our cost.
  • MHirt1MHirt1 Member Posts: 6
    Hello.
    This is my first post. I am the original owner of a 2005 MDX with approximately 62,000 miles. I've noticed the "rumble strip" noise when driving between 25 and 35 mph for the last year or so and never thought much about it. Last week I took the vehicle in for the 60,000 mile service and I mentioned the "rumble strip" sound. The dealer called back to tell me that the sound is the torque converter. However, my service advisor said he was going to contact Acura to solicit help on the estimated $3,000 repair bill.

Over the next few days the service advisor called me to say he still hadn't heard back from Acura. Then today he called to say that "I think I opened a can of worms" with Acura. He said that they are in the process of preparing a Service Bulletin to address the issue and that it may be out in the next week or two. The service advisor indicated that the TC problem is apparently more widespread than he was aware of. When Acura issues the bulletin he will then know whether Acura will pay for part or all the repair.

Hopefully he is not blowing smoke my way, but I'm not sure what he has to gain by misleading me in this way. So, we'll keep our fingers crossed and I'll post again when I hear something.
    I forgot to mention regarding my previous post - the Service Advisor said that one of the reasons for the delay in issuing the Service Bulletin is that Acura does not presently have an appropriate fix for the situation.
  • skelley3skelley3 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info and hope your service advisor isn't blowing smoke too. Just completed a safety complaint to the NHTSA on my 2005 Acura MDX. Torque converter replaced on March 16 this year with 67,533 miles on odometer. Car now has 73,400 miles and problem is re-surfacing.
    For those who are interested, you can obtain the actual Acura/Honda Service Bulletin (thanks to "somerfall") that addresses the Torque Convert issue and the repair instructions given to the Acura/Honda dealers if you Google:

Acura Service Bulletin 06-003 pdf

There is also a statement in the document that addresses "out of warranty vehicles" and the the procedure for obtaining a "goodwill consideration" repair. It would appear that Honda/Acura was expecting a significant number of vehicles (both in warranty and out of warranty).

I have a 2005 Acrua MDX that was one year "out of warranty" and through persistence and documentation from web sites such as this one and also the 15 complaints filed with the NHSTA, I was able to get Honda/Acura to move from not covering my $2,000 repair to covering 100% of my repair. Good luck !
    Can you double-check the service bulletin number you referenced above? When I google it I find that the bulletin is for the Honda Odyssey and addresses "power sliding door squeaks/creaks/pops/rattles". Thanks.
    Never mind - found it. Thanks.
  • accountingprofaccountingprof Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 MDX (134,000 miles) experienced racing engine and dash and D5 code signals while my daughter was driving it this weekend. I called the dealer and they said, have it towed in rather than driving it. I did. I just got a call from a service rep at the dealership telling me they parsed through the codes, drove it a bit and it needs a rebuilt transmission ($4,200). I asked if any warranty coverage or goodwill was available and he said no, too many miles. He pointed out that this was not from any "lack of maintenance" (as he should since they have been servicing this vehicle since I purchased it new in February 2001) and that sometime "parts just fail - it is not common but it happens." But now that I have found this forum, I feel otherwise. I found a "recall campaign" item in my MDX file from June 2004 (at 42,754 miles) at which they inspected the transmission and installed a jet lube kit (per TSB 04013) at no charge. (I think this occurred when I had the car there for something else. It was not a mailed notice.) Anyone else have this situation?

I am currently a college accounting professor but in a prior life I was a class action attorney and successfully got a big settlement out of Mercedes concerning an oil sludge issue in its 1998-2001 fleixible service system cars.
  • wallabyguywallabyguy Member Posts: 20
    I have started the following facebook page to address this matter. Honda is VERY sensitive to facebook and other social sites. We can come together as a group there and bring additional visibility to our issue and, if necessary, seek alternative methods of resolution with Honda if they continue to ignore or deny the problem

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Owners-Dealing-with-Acura-MDX-Problems/13568474313- 9321?v=page_getting_started#!/pages/Owners-Dealing-with-Acura-MDX-Problems/13568- 4743139321?v=wall
  • jslivonjslivon Member Posts: 57
    Let the dealer know that you are aware of others having this problem, mention "class-action lawsuits" and "good faith compensations". I bet they offer something.

If you get a new transmission, the waranty is 3 years/36k miles. That's the amount of time you'l have to replace your Acura with a Ford, or something else. I got a new transmission at 107k miles on our '03 MDX and they paid 90%, but I'll never buy Honda/Acura again because they TRIED to screw me at first. I held my ground.
  • plaaaaaneplaaaaane Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2010
    Won't this place less stress on the TC? So it's a cheap & dirty fix unless they redesigned the TC too. Anyone have info on the 2010 possibilities??
    Hello Again.
    Long story short. The dealer said that Acura offered "good faith" compensation to replace my TC, leaving me to pay a $500. I asked the dealer whether Acura had now come up with a satisfactory replacement for the faulty TC unit, to which he of course answered yes. Anyways, I took the offer given my car is over 5 years old and has over 60,000 miles on it. Dropped the vehicle off yesterday and just picked it up this evening. A couple of things of note on my service receipt:

- "Goodwill per DSM09824"
    - "warranty deductible = $500"

Hope this is the end of my transmission problem.

Regards, Michael
  • zarek66zarek66 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if any canadian mdx owners had acura paid for their transmission replacement? I tried calling an acura dealer and quoted dsm09824 and they said there is no good will extention or any recall campaign with this vehicle. This sucks because all mdx's are assembled in the same plant and so it makes no logical sense for acura to only extend this goodwill deal to americans and not canadians. if you are canadian and have delt with the transmission problem with acura please post a response.
  • jim3640jim3640 Member Posts: 1
    Acura MDX comes with a transmission cooler only if a towing package in installed. If you have experienced transmission failure, did your car come with a transmission cooler.
  • pat113pat113 Member Posts: 1
    We recently had the transmission fail in our 2003 Accura MDX with about 90,000 miles. We had it towed to the dealer who quoted us $4200 to fix it, We got it down to $3900 and authorized them to fix it, The next day my wife heard from a friend that Accura was having problems with their transmission. I called the repair rep at the dealer and he tells me that he knows of no recalls or problems. I then search the internet and find this forum. I take down the Bulletin number mentioned, call the service guy with the number and they later called back and agreed to fix it for $900.
    Knowledge is power but really it should not have come to this.
  • jmceneanyjmceneany Member Posts: 2
    I looked up the recall on the 2005 MDX. I was never contacted about it. When I was experiencing vibrating at about 30-40mph I was told it was the torque converter. I was under an extended warranty and it was covered by the dealership.
  • jslivonjslivon Member Posts: 57
    Your situation was exactly like our 2003 MDX with 107k miles. We got our final price down just as you did. Acura claims that your new transmission has been cured from defects. Nobody will say what it is but I suspect it to be electronic related. There was no way that all the clutches, gears and bearings just "wore out".

But due to our hassles and mistrust towards Acura, our next car will be a Ford.
  • mdxer04mdxer04 Member Posts: 3
    I have 97000 miles on my 2004 MDX. All fwy miles. Have serviced my MDX only at the dealership in Glendale CA ever since I brought it there. So, they have all my service records. So, I took it in for the 90k (a bit late) service and asked to check my transmission out since I've heard so many problems with them. Lo and behold, not only did I need two motor mounts to replacement, my Torque Converter need to be replace-ie new transmission. So, they offered to pay for half and I would have to pay for the balance $1800 and the motor mounts on top of that ~$300-500. I wasn't too satisfied with this price, so I contacted the 800 Customer Service for Acura. Then on Friday, I get a call from the service rep, that they district service manager(?) would lower it to $1300 with 3-5 yrs and/or 36,000miles warranty. I'm still not happy with paying anything. I spoke to the Customer Service this morning and they won't budge on the price and that's their final offer. I've expressed my love and loyalty to Honda and Acura since 1987, Service Bulletin 06-003 and complete service history at the dealership. Now my question is, should I start a letter campaign, call everyday to get them to lower the price, call an attorney-threaten "Class Action Lawsuit" or simple put my tail between my legs and give up? :cry: Any suggestions would help. Thanks!
    I am happy to report that the torque converter issues my 2004 MDX was experiencing were very satisfactorily handled by my Acura dealer.

Here is what I did.
    First of all, I followed the advice of kpsmith999 (#308 fo 354) Part of the advice was as follows:
    1. Open a case file with Honda America at 1-800-382-2238 then press 5.
    2. Mention that you have researched this issue on the internet and that there are a large number of reports of this very same problem with both Honda Pilots and Acura MDXs. Also state that the nhtsa.gov complaint site has 29 complaints of which 14 are for transmission and 11 are for the 30-40 mph grinding/vibration issue for the 2005 Acura MDX.

I followed this excellent advice and opened my case with Honda. They were very very polite and very very noncommittal. I mentioned that I had been into my dealer numerous times with the problem and was told each time, "We can't duplicate the noise." Honda told me the next thing I had to do was go back to the dealership and see if they could actually diagnose the problem as a torque converter. They mentioned that my vehicle was no longer under warranty (warranty was purchased at the time I bought my car used 2 1/2 years ago) I told them I realized it was no longer under warranty but certainly had been when I had taken my vehicle in at least 4 times for this problem. They wanted to know what I wanted them to do. I told them I wanted a case opened with this issue and that I would be going to my dealership again shortly. I also mentioned having found "American Honda Motor service bulletin #06003" on Google which addresses this problem in the o4 MDX.

When we went to the dealership they said, and I quote! "Acura stands by their vehicles and we will stand by our customer and your car."

Long story slightly shorter, they honored my warrantly, which was 6,000 over the alloted mileage, and fixed my car for $106.00. This was the amount of my warranty deductible, plus tax. They also loaned me a 2010 MDX for the 6 days it took to get the job completed.

Needles to say, I will be purchasing another vehicle from this dealership in the future! :)

Hang in there, everyone. There are good, honorable dealerships out there who do care about their customers and are willing to listen.
  • littlebitslittlebits Member Posts: 5
    I would like to know the outcome of your car. I just bought a 2010 MDX on July 11th. At about 500 miles my husband felt there was something seriously wrong with the transmission. At 1036 miles I drove the car to the dealer and before I even finished my sentence they were "aware" of this problem. They are holding my car for a few days but I'm not feeling very comfortable. Primarily as I've barely owned this car for 5 weeks and this transmission issue is not a good way to start new car ownership.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    littlebits, can you post what your husband believes to be wrong with the transmission in your new 2010? Just curious as I also own a 2010. I'm now at 9,000 miles and so far so good, but it would be nice to know what to look for. Your's is the first I've read about transmission issues in a 2010 (6 speed automatic vs. a 5 speed in the older model years).
    JBaumgart,

I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealer. They have now had the car for 24+ hours and they initally told me it was a transmission "sensor" issue. However, they need to call it into Acura, determine which sensor(s) need to be replaced and take it from there.

I will reply back to you as soon as I get my car back this week. I just wanted to put it out there because I feel that Acura is aware of this "isolated" issue and is keeping mum.
  • udeman55udeman55 Member Posts: 20
    Where did you find this information? I am experiencing this problem now.
    jmceneany & JBaumgart,

The service rep has now totally recanted his story. He claims that he and his team performed a series of tests and there is no transmission problem. He states that this is just how the 2010 MDX shifts from each speed. This is a totally different story from yesterday where he, the sales rep, drove my car and told me what the problem was in the first place. It's all surreal. He went from telling me he knew of the problem to now stating there is no problem.

The service rep also stated that I could test drive other 2010 MDX models to assure me this is normal.

I'm very apprehensive at this point and will sleep on exactly what I am going to do when I arrive to the dealership tomorrow.

I will keep you posted and will demand copies of these alleged tests.
    My previous post was about my 2004 MDX, not a 2010. I am unaware of problems with the 2010 model. I only had the 2010 MDX as a loaner vehicle for about a week. I LOVED the car and it performed perfectly. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    littlebits, thanks for posting the updates on your 2010. Mine is shifting very smoothly and is otherwise without any problems after 9,000 miles, so I'm not concerned unless other owners start to experience problems. Yours was the first hint of any transmission issues in a 2010 that I've read about, which is why I'm interested in seeing what develops.

Perhaps you can explain in a little more detail what symptoms you are experiencing and what the service rep originally said when he agreed there was a problem?
    Thanks, Sommerfall! Your help is very welcomed. Just wished my dealer was closer to home. Then it'd be easier to bug them everyday to get this problem resolved. I'll put together a letter with all the useful info that you've provided and hopefully, can achieve a price close to yours. Thanks again! :)
  • davesmdxdavesmdx Member Posts: 3
    My 2008 MDX gave me the high temp trans warning light after less than one mile on steep off-road terrain. I was going very slow in 1st gear manual. Was I operating it incorrectly, or are these vehicles just not intended for off-road use at all as my dealer suggested?
  • tpulaktpulak Member Posts: 44
    Well, the car shouldn't be acting like that, but its a good idea to take it to the dealership. How steep was the slope? In the manual it says the slope is not to exceed 45 degrees. Overall, the MDX wasn't designed to be an offroad vehicle, because it has limited capability to do so. This is partly due to its V-6 engine, which is high revving in nature. It gets most of its power only when revved hard, so its not very suitable to climbing/ off roading. I have done some off roading with my MDX (2004) but it never gave such issues. I'd strongly recommend taking your MDX to the dealer, and see if it has issues, because I never heard of a new generation MDX having such issues. Only the 1st generation, from the years 2001-2003 had such tranny issues.
    OK. Thanks. It was much less than a 45 degree grade for sure. More like 20 degrees. The terrain was rolling, so I was going very slow to make sure I didn't drag bottom. And I think that was my problem - going that slow in a heavy climb I could feel the transmission slipping.
    I had that problem too. I took my 04 mdx out on a dirt road four years ago. It was only a slight incline, but it was 90-95 degrees and I was running the AC. I had the car in D1 or D2. The idiot light for the transmission went off and I had to shut down the engine and let it cool off. It was a hot and miserable wait. Luckily, we started the engine back up and no trans light, turned off the AC and headed back to hwy.
    I understand that the engine will heat up the trannie and cause the over heating-since the engine sits over the trannie.
    After the incident, I spent the the $800 or $1500 (can't remember the exact cost) and had them install the towing package. I believe the towing package has a cooling (radiator) for the trannie so it won't overheat.
    And after all these years, I have yet to prove this theory out on the back roads and unfortunately I haven't had anything of significant to tow. Now I'm just dealing with the Torque Converter going out and getting Acura to fix it for a reasonable price.
    Sadly, I do remember reading an article in Car and Driver before I bought my 04, that gave the mdx a good review for off road capabilities and it was up there with The VW touareg or even better. Nevertheless, the reality is, that it was only designed for minimal off road usage. :sick:
    Thanks.
    I got the trailer package factory installed, and my Acura dealer indicated as of 2008 all MDX's have the transmission cooler. So it is really surprising it heated up so easily. Funny they provide a SUV with skid plates and high ground clearance, and then say that it is not made to be driven off the road.
    I don't think most people would consider gravel and 20% inclines to be "off road" - any passenger car should be able to handle that without a tow package or transmission cooler! For those who want to use their vehicle for true offroad situations (like they show in Jeep commericials - boulders, rivers, steep inclines, etc.) then they shouldn't be buying a crossover type vehicle in the first place. Besides certain pickup trucks, Jeeps and Land Rovers there isn't much out there to choose from these days. Which is probably OK because only a few select buyers want to go offroad in the first place.

Towing on the other hand is a different proposition, and here the Acura's 5,000 lb. capacity does an admirable job for all but the heaviest loads.
  • jmarti80jmarti80 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    Add my name to the list of transmission problems. I have a 2002 Acura MDX that I purchased used from a reputable used car dealership back in Dec of 2009. We purchased it with 65K miles on it. This weekend when driving it home from a road trip the transmission slipped going up a hill, the engine revved, the AT Over heat Signal started to flash and black smoke immediately started to come from our car. I immediately pulled over and noticed transmission fluid all over the driver side axle and all over the exterior of the car. I checked the A/T fluid levels and it was empty. I was able to make it over to an Auto parts store and add A/T fluid to it and we made it home safely.

The next day I brought it over to our local Acura dealer, and they mentioned that they would first diagnose the problem and then contact the District Manager on my behalf to see if Acura will step up and pay for any of the repairs. So far I am impressed with the way they handled my situation, but I have yet to hear back from them on if and what they will cover.

I dropped the car off on Tuesday and they told me today (Thursday) that they won't have an answer back from the District Manager till Monday of next week, but it will for sure need a whole new Transmission. I will be using the information I found on the forum as ammunition when it comes time to negotiate. Thank you everyone for posting, this information may save me thousands of dollars (I hope). I will repost when I hear back from Acura.

I was just curious, how long did it take for those of you that had to have the transmission replaced? In my case it looks like the car will be at the dealership for close to 10 days! Is that about the same amount of time for those of you that went through the same issues?
  • 02mdxwoes02mdxwoes Member Posts: 9
    hello. i have an '02 mdx that was having the transmission recall issues, which started about 1.5-2 years after i bought the car in September of 2002. i kept taking the car in for servicing, describing the issue, which was basically that the car jolted into gear between 4th and 5th, like it was having a seizure, and everytime was told that there was nothing wrong. one mechanic tried to tell me it was my air conditioner that was causing the problem(i am woman, i must be dumb!). then the same thing started happening between 1st and 2nd gear. when i got my recall notice in 2006, i took my car to the dealer and asked for a replacement transmission, when my call was still under warranty. they told me they could "fix" it, which didn't work, and back i went in january of 2007, after my warranty was up, and was told that the transmission had to replaced(duh!).

acura and the dealership did eat the cost and replaced the transmission. of course it was a remanufactured transmission and only came with a 1 year warranty. and now i am having the same problem all over again, this time in 1st to 2nd only. has anyone else had the transmission replaced and then started having the same problem start over in the replacement? is there any class action pending that anyone is aware of for this problem? any info would be appreciated. thank you!
  • 02mdxwoes02mdxwoes Member Posts: 9
    from the day that i dropped off the car, a decision was made THAT day about acura covering the cost of the replacement transmission. after that, it took 2-3 days to get the transmission in and then it took anther 2 days to install the replacement. they wouldn't provide a loaner-gues they already felt generous enough.....