Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Transmission Problems

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited October 2010
    A large segment, a very large segment, of the FWD manufacturers have adopted some form or another of this "new" Pre-emptive F/awd system. Pre-emptive..automatically engage the rear drive coupling in situations wherein it is most likely that loss of traction, wheelspin/slip, and subsequent loss of directional control might occur and therefore might potentially lead to an accident and injuries and even death.

A.) Engage the rear drive coupling upon any level of low speed acceleration, distribute the engine drive torque over more than just the front wheels.

B.) When turning, turning tightly, turning under acceleration, turning tightly under acceleration.

These new F/awd systems make no note/adjustment for roadbed traction conditions so a HIGH level of pre-emptive engine drive coupling may result, and often does result, on a serious level of drive line windup and/or tire scrubbing unless the traction surface has a lot of "give", slipperiness.

"...Has this issue been resolved in the 2010 model..?"

Apparently not.

According to the 2011 MDX owners manual there is a temperature sensor in the rear differential that is used to WARN the driver of a marginal operating condition. The driver is instructed to pull off the road, shift into neutral and let the engine idle until the indication goes out.

And what if the driver doesn't heed those instructions..?

In Ford's case, the Escape F/awd, they simply disabled the F/awd system if the rear coupling continued its upward temperature climb. But that didn't seem to help overall as the PTO (apparently the weakest link in the Ford Escape's F/awd system) began to "fail-over" left and right. The new 2011 F/awd Ford Explorer has now added engine coolant flow to abate the PTO failures.

Personally I would recommend removing the SH-AWD fuse except at times when the need for the SH-AWD system is predicted, predictable.

No inadvertent driveline stress and/or tire scrubbing on tractive surfaces = no "weakest" link failures, Ford PTO, MDX torque converter (most likely the TC's lock-up clutch).
  • ilesanilesan Member Posts: 2
    b30 I have the same problem with my 2001 MDX with 120K miles. Did the power control board solved your problem?
  • jgraftonjgrafton Member Posts: 6
    We have a 2003 MDX and i have noticed that the transmission? kind of shudders at about 1500 rpm and the tach jumps up about 200 rpm goes away when i accelerate. Just turned 98k miles and after reading some of these posts i think there may be a serious problem developing. It has done this for at least a year now. The nearest Acura dealer is 90 miles away so i just can't stop by. Is there anything that can be done to extend the life like an oil and filter change? Some have received assistance from dealer...is this still a possibility or do i have to wait until the transmission completely fails? We almost traded for a 2008 MDX but now got second thoughts.
    Have you heard back from the dealer yet? Has your transmission failed and if not can we just replace the torque converter? One last question...where did you get the information about the transmission problem?
  • madmommy3madmommy3 Member Posts: 28
    the inevitable is coming and some are on their 3rd tranny. if you have the money, ditch the car while you can still drive it in and get a fair trade. If you trade it when it arrives on a flatbed, you don't have any room to negotiate. And, verify that the 2008's are not problematic. my two cents, from someone who did the very thing (and got an excelletn trade and new price on a honda pilot) after forking over $3000 on a new tranny and radiator and then experiencing noises and potential failure on the new tranny within 5K miles.
  • kpsmith999kpsmith999 Member Posts: 46
    Here is a "Must Read" article about the MDX & Pilot transmission problems:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5597120_acura-mdx-transmission-problems.html
  • prijayprijay Member Posts: 26
    2003 MDX with 95,000 miles transmission failed 2 weeks ago with no warning whatsoever, Just got the transmission fixed form the Acura dealer, Honda picked up 75% of the cost but still i had to fork out $1000 for my share. The new tranny came with 3 years / 36,000 mile warranty. Initially Honda wanted to pick up 50% of the cost but i stood firm and told them i need them to pick up more and finally settled for 75% Honda/ 25% Me, still not happy but better than paying $4500 for a new tranny. Also got the timing belt and water pump changed when i got the tranny fixed. Not sure how long i will keep the car but want to use it for at least 1 - 2 years more, hopefully it will not give any more problems. Members please chime in if i need to know anything more since i plan to use the car for 1 - 2 years, will it last without any issues? Please comment based on your experience
    Where is the dealer located that helped you out? I called my nearest dealer (90 miles away) and need to take it there for a test drive. Not thrilled about taking day off work to have it checked. Suprised that dealer stood behind replacement with age and miles on the vehicle. We want to keep the MDX but reluctant to do so knowing all the potential problems even after it gets repaired.
  • prijayprijay Member Posts: 26
    I am located in South Florida and the dealer is Rick Case Acura, but it is up to you to present your case, the dealer in my case only submitted the paperwork to Honda, i had to talk to Acura Client Care and the Service manager at the dealership to let them know that there is a issue in the MDX transmission and Honda is aware of it.

First of all you need to find out if it is a transmission problem. If it is then read this forum which has all the info you need to make and present your case, that is exactly what i did.
    "...shudders..goes away when I accelerate..."

Your torque converter's lockup clutch is failing.

While you'll likely have to have the TC replaced you can avoid future failures by disabling the SH-AWD system except when you have expectation or suspecion that it will be needed.

The SH-AWD system, in effect, LOCKS the "virtual" center diff'l even on highly tractive surfaces, a serious NO-NO for an actual 4WD. Worse yet, it LOCKS that diff'l EVEN when turning and/or turning while accelerating. Having the SH-AWD system's rear drive capability engaged on a tractive surface along with the front drive will ALWAYS result in some level of drive line windup and/or tire scrubbing. Engaging both front and rear drive when turning tightly or accelerating into a turn, PURE STUPIDITY(***)...!!

Apparently the lockup clutch in the TC just happens to be the weakest link in the MDX drive train.

*** Actually the really stupid part is the engineers trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear, converting a base FWD vehicle, PATENTLY UNSAFE FWD, into a F/awd compromise.
    Will it make any dirrerence if i get fluid changed to prolong the failure? To disable the AWD do i simply push the button on the dash that has the four wheels on it?
  • godb4markygodb4marky Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2010
    I have a 2001 Acura MDX Touring with factory tow package that had 196,000 low impact HIGHWAY miles on it before the transmission went out. The transmission fluid was flushed & filled every 30,000 miles, I drove it lile a grama (never accellerated to force a downshifted), & never towed anything really heavy or very far. The transmission gave all the classic signs of going out (dark fluid, metal shavings on drain plug, hard / jerky shifting, delayed shifting (with rpm acceleration until gear was met), and even tires chirping from improper shifting on a long mountainous trip towards the end of its life. When it finally went out I was on a local trip on the freeway, jerky shifting turned into only having a very jerky 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears & reverse gear. I limped it back to my garage, did research, & got estimates. The "Ball Acura" dealer here in San Diego, CA quoted me just over $5,000 to include a the installation of a rebuilt transmission unit, rebuilt torque converter unit, and refurbished computer (the computers are not the problem) , with a 36,000 mile parts & labor warranty. This price did not include a new, larger transmission cooler. The small original transmission coolers are evidenced to be the root cause of the MDX transmission problems in the first place (overheating). Next I looked at junkyarddog.com (essentially the google of junkyard car parts), & found that the best they could offer was a used transmission with 97,000 miles on it for $1,500 without the torque converter, transmission cooler, or computer, not including installation, and only with a 30 day parts only limited warranty. Next I tried getting auto shop quotes on rebuilding my original transmission, torque converter, and replacing the tiny, inadequate original transmission cooler with a larger, upgraded, and adequate cooler. I received quotes from $6,500 with no warranty, to $1,600 with a 36,000 mile towing, parts, & labor warranty from Sunrise Auto in San Diego. I went with Sunrise Auto for obvious reasons. I now have my MDX transmission and torque converter fully rebuilt; I also have a brand new transmission cooler installed, & I am covered by a full 36,000 warranty on towing, parts, labor, & even a free loaner car if I need one. All this for $1,600 cash. I almost fainted when I saw the original transmission cooler that they pulled out. It looked like 2 small black sticks. When I saw the new one they installed, I was very impressed, as it looked like 4 solid, beefy, silver, branches like a real cooler should. Btw, the new coolers are inexpensive and VERY effective. If you do not have the new, larger, and upgraded cooler on your 01-06 MDX then GET one. They are not expensive, they actually do what their name says (transmission coolers), they save your transmission from death (9 out of 10 transmissions on every car fail due to overheating). $100 bucks now will save you thousands down the road. Read the reviews and listen to people who have been there. The original coolers in 01-06 are garbage (factory tow package or not), shame on Honda for using the same sized coolers as their civics in a 3.5L V-6 engine. Also, change the transmission fluid regularly, and do it right. Its the one procedure that you want to do by the book (drain & fill 3x). Lastly, don't pay $5,000 at the dealer for them to remove your transmission system, replace it with someone elses rebuilt transmission system, and not install an upgraded cooler, and then turn around and rebuild the one you gave to them so they can charge someone else $5,000 to put it into their car. Get quotes, get a 36,000 mile warranty, & have a good, fair mechanic rebuild, & reinstall your transmission, torque converter, & put in a nice, big, adequate transmission cooler. Thanks for reading & God bless. I'm out.
    Get a new, adequate transmission cooler, & change the transmission fluid regularly [(every 30,000 miles, & do it properly (flush & fill 3x)]. From my experience, pushing the "vtm-4" button doesn't help. Also, read my full posting below for my experience.
  • joel56joel56 Member Posts: 1
    Hello!
    I wondered if anyone else has this problem. I own a 2001 mdx with 88,000 miles. For 2 yrs now, everytime I shift from park to reverse there is a loud banging noise. I have had it checked by the acura mechanic several times. once they replaced a "block" that held the transmission(sorry, I am car illiterate). The problem continues and now they say it is a "normal" banging. Where is this Banging coming from when I shift from park to reverse? Should I be concerned or is it normal as they say? I might add that I have owned the car since 2001, have NEVER missed a recommended service, and besides the loud bang, the car runs very well. thanks for any suggestions.
    A new, more adequate ATF cooler will undoubtedly serve to keep the ATF at a lower operating temperature. But that doesn't address the base problem, what, whatever, is causing the ATF to overheat in the first place.

And my guess is that is due to the overstressing, HEATING, of the drive train components due to driveline windup and/or tire scrubbing resulting from the inappropriate engagement of the rear drive on tractive surfaces.

You can extend the life of your transaxle by disabling the SH-AWD system except at times of need or suspected need.
    edited November 2010
    "..Get a new, adequate transmission cooler, "

It is very likely that a more "adequate" cooler may be if no help as there is likely a thermostat involved in limiting or regulating the flow to the external cooler in order to:

1) Allow the ATF temperature to rise as quickly as possible such that OD can/will be used.

2) Prevent the ATF temperature from falling below operational, 200F, temperature.

Most modern day transaxles have a temperature sensor within the transaxle so the driver can/will be forewarned if the ATF temperature begins to rise too high.

Your ATF is overheating due to some sort of LOCALIZED internal component STRESS. In this case there is now reason to suspect that to be the TC lockup clutch.

Also, due to the fairly recent major change to transaxle designs, real-time control of ATF line pressure, the long term failures may be due to the inability to support two gear changes in quick succession. One of the early fixes, circa RX330 introduction, for that design flaw was to use DBW to prevent the onset of rising engine torque until the downshift clutches can be fully and firmly engaged.
  • averagefoolaveragefool Member Posts: 1
    The transmission failed and the dealer quoted $4,400 to replace with a 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty rebuilt transmission. After negotiation with Acura for an out-of-warranty subsidy, we settled at a payment of $2,650.

In the negotiations, I said:
    -the transmission was flawed from the factory
    -Acura knew this
    -Acura had paid for others out-of-warranty
    -I had been in touch with class action lawyers

I hope this helps somebody else.
  • chrismcdogchrismcdog Member Posts: 2
    Great job! How did you start the process with Acura, and it would be great if you could provide contact info there.

Thanks for your help!
    We have 98k on our 2003 MDX and it was diagnosed 100% to have a converter problem by the local trans shop. Changed fluid but had little effect on the shudder at low speeds. Nearest dealer 90 miles and they quoted $2600 to replace converter, local trans shop $1500 and local mechanic $800. The converter cost is $200 but shops charge as much as $1200 for the same new unit! Acura might help with cost but i have to have it done at Acura dealership. The shop guys tell me the converter problem will not hurt the transmission but i decided to get it fixed and not take a chance of a total breakdown.
  • gmezagmeza Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Acura MDX that now has 202,000 miles. For the last several years I have complained about the transmission not down shifting around 35 MPHs. It lugs to the point I have to manually down shift. I have also had it disengage when I attempt to accelerate after stopping at a stop sign. I have to manually move the the stick shift until it engages into drive--very dangerous.
    I have brought these problems to the attention of the manager in the service department and because it's an intermittent problem, they could not replicate it. So, nothing could be done.
    Recently both problems have become more frequent. I took it back to the Acura dealer's service department. They drove it and said I needed a tork converter. They informed me they do not replace these, but only replace the transmission at a cost of $4,100. When I informed them of my past complaints, they said they had no record of my complaints and that I should realize that having a transmission go out at 200,000 miles is not uncommon. One of the managers also said he checked and Acura had no recalls with 2003 MDX transmissions. Obviously I have found this site and have determined there have been a lot of problems with Honda/Acura transmissions.
  • gbredagbreda Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2010
    Unfortunately, a transmission issue at 202K is not uncommon. But a dealer that states torque converters are not replaced cannot be totally trusted either. Ask them if they only replace as a set and if so, why. Ask, Is this their policy or Acura's. Ask if this is only on the MDX that they dont replace converters. Get all of their responses in writing and take it to Acura if you are not satisfied.

I hope that you have hard copies of the prior service complaints.
    At 200k miles you have no reason or cause to "stay" with an Acura dealer. Go to a thrid party and have JUST the torque converter replaced.

On the otehr hand, were it me, at 200K I would probably go ahead and put in a complete rebuilt transaxle.

And then I would remove the rear drive fuses throughout the summer months.
    "..shudder at low speeds.."

Remove the fuses for the rear drive coupling and see if the shudder is still there.

If it isn't then it is likely you can extend the life of the transaxle components by having someone install a switch so you can manually disable the rear drive coupling except at times of need.
  • coltonrcoltonr Member Posts: 1
    I think I am having the same issue. Has anyone found anything out or had any simular issues? My car makes a single popping noise when I shift from Drive to Reverse and then start moving.

Thanks,
    Colt
    This is a very helpful read... http://accuratecars.com/blog/2009/08/22/2002-acura-mdx-transmission-replacement-- at-accurate-automotive-auto-repair/. Btw, my new transcooler is a Hayden. Ill try to upload the pictures of the old & new coolers as well.
    Another educational read... Here is the transmission recall that Honda / Acura issued. It explains that overheating is the condition that causes transmission damage in the early MDX units. This agrees with my experience... long trips = very hot transmissions = slipping / damage. However, their proposed fix was a joke and was a way to save them $. (visual inspection & installing a bigger / better trans cooler line if needed instead of an entire bigger / better trans cooling system). http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/09-int/2001/acura/mdx/index.html
  • flackmanflackman Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering looking at a 2006 Touring MDX (non-certified) at a used car dealer. The car only has 42,000 on the OD. After reading about the 2001 to 03 transmission issues, does anyone know if the 2006's suffer from the same affliction? Consumer Reports gave that year much better than average reliability for major and minor transmission categories. Definitely would like to know if it's worthwhile or not bothering. Thanks.
  • redhorse1962redhorse1962 Member Posts: 5
    As the owner of an 06 I can say yes the problems are still there. Before 60K, two torque convertors and a transmission. We are now at 74K and the symptoms are coming back. I have no idea where CR gets their data.
    These drive line failures are purely the result of "center differential"(***) lockup on perfectly dry and highly tractive surfaces. That "lockup" results in undue stress, driveline "windup", tire scrubbing, and therefore heating of the driveline components. Under those conditions premature failure of the weakest link is a given.

What Acura needs to do is disable the rear driveline coupling capability unless the driver manually enables it, in which case it should automatically switch off after 10-15 minutes of no F/R wheel slippage.

In the meantime you can dramatically improve you chances of avoiding these failure by removing the fuse(s) except at times of need.

*** Engagement of L/R rear drive coupling clutches.
  • willowcreek1willowcreek1 Member Posts: 1
    I was recently told by my Acura dealer (because of the intermittent "shudder" at 30-40 mph) that my 2003 MDX needs a SECOND transmission replacement in just over 3 years. Estimated cost for new transmission is $4-5K which I don't really have right now so I'll have to continue driving it as is...it's been making the sound for over 2 years so I'm used to the noise.

When I found this website, I realized I am not alone...I thought my car was annoying and noisy to drive but now I believe it's dangerous. I've read where others have had their car die in traffic or they need to pull over because the car will not accelerate. I sincerely hope no one is injured or killed as a result of one of these bad transmissions.

SO MANY MDX owners have the SAME problem...why has there not been a recall? I"m scared to drive my car,,,I don't know when annoying will change to dangerous. I am going to www.NHTSA.gov to complete a "Report a Vehicle Defect ~ Complaint Form" (even though I have not had an "accident", I do feel the car is unsafe). If you also feel your car is dangerous, will you PLEASE do the same? Maybe that will get someone's attention. Thanks!
  • watersdeedeewatersdeedee Member Posts: 3
    I am with you also I dont understand why acura wont own up to this transmission issue . I filed a complaint on nhtsa . we will see what happens . something needs to be done .I guess it gonna take for alot of people to result in a death in order for acura to own up to the issue . what a shame !!!!
    Our vehicle just turned 100k had same shudder problem for at least a year. We had the tranny serviced and put in an additive to stop the shudder and after a few hundred miles it has stopped...for now. They told me the tranny was fine, converter was going out and cost for converter replacement about $1,500 (dealer is $2600). Someone discussed class action case? sign me up for sure!
    The problem you have with contacting NHTSA is that a failing transaxle, "prematurely failing", cannot really be considered a safety matter.

Transaxles FAIL every day for one reason or another and it is generally pure happenstance, situational, as to weither the failure is/becomes a matter of safety.

On the other hand if the design defect were to exhibit itself in a way that directly threatened your safety, sudden drive wheel lockup, say, that would be another matter.

Design defect, yes, ABSOLUTELY..!!
    My guess would be that it is the lockup clutch function of the torque converter that is failing. The torque converter itself is always a "soft", rubber-bandish, coupling and therefore probably not really subject to the additional stress of simultaneous front and rear drive engagement. Whereas the lockup clutch is used for exactly that, a HARD coupling to bypass the "lossy" torque converter and thereby improve FE.

I suspect that if you could find a way to permanently and fully disable the lockup clutch function you might be able to drive the MDX for the normal period, slight loss of FE. But on the other hand the torque converter may not be robust enough for full time use.
  • selzer90selzer90 Member Posts: 1
    I just received a letter from Acura to bring my 2005 MDX to an Acura dealer to have a software update performed that will fix the shuddering problem. It was a mass letter. I have had shuddering problems for a while and my mechanic didn't see anything wrong. I have 102,000 miles on my car. I'm bringing my car in this week. Hope it helps.
  • delwaregirldelwaregirl Member Posts: 1
  • codog3codog3 Member Posts: 12
    I've been driving my 04 mdx (107k) only in D4. This eliminates the shudder, of course at the expense of gas mileage.
    That's funny, I just ran across a Toyota TSB that eliminates transaxle shudder via a reflash update. Same subcontractor source..?
  • dogdoc1997dogdoc1997 Member Posts: 32
    Was ready to go today to buy a 2006 and then saw this nightmare, cannot afford 2010, but I am not seeing where the problem is fixed anywhere; and why does CONSUMER REPORTS rate them all as great years!!!! dogdoc
  • jslivonjslivon Member Posts: 57
    When did they switch to the SH-AWD system..? If the '06 still has the VTM-4 system then I agree, stay away. My daughter's new 2011 MDX has a temperature sensor in the rear "diff'l" I assume to provide a warning if it begins to overheat.
  • codog3codog3 Member Posts: 12
    I'd say no - you can't trust a honda transmission. They started having transmission problems in the late 90's and the 2001-2002 MDX's have a terrible reliability rate. This was supposedly fixed for the 2003+ years, yet different transmission problems are starting to surface for those vehicles. Who knows in a couple years what will start happening with the current generation.
  • dogdoc1997dogdoc1997 Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2010
    This is disheartening, my buddy that is a hi line dealer says for me to stop reading these forums and reseraching; he says you can pull up problem threads for ALL HI-LINE cars, AUDI,BMW,LEXUS,etc... this I KNOW, I have been told I have analysis paralysis,lol he says I will never buy anything if I stay on thses boards, dogdoc
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    I think it is important to remember that when one purchases a new/used car that there will be some defect or design issues that will cost you $$$$.

I won an 2006 Acura RL and my wife owns a 2006 Honda Pilot. I have had initial issues with the software, which was remedied ala warranty. My wife's Pilot has had nothing go wrong except factory recalls sent to us from Honda.

Neither my wife or myself have had tranny issues and I hope we do not in the future.

Having owned since 1995 Honda exls and/or acuras I have had few problems. I am sorry to see so many issues being presented and I hope all of you readers/posters have few issues and get 200 k miles on your vehicle.

Oh, I have not connection/work for any entity/party in the auto industry. Good luck to all of you and I hope all of us have a peaceful and excellent Xmas season.

jensad
  • kpsmith999kpsmith999 Member Posts: 46
    It is unfortunate, but this particular problem (shudder, vibration) is very pervasive and has generated significantly more forum discussions than other makes and models. This problem spans several years and has just been acknowledged by Acura by a recent mailing to owners regarding a software update. We will have to see if this provides any relief. In my case, my torque converter had to be replaced (like so many others) at 35,000 miles.
  • stewart3stewart3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a very similar issue on my 03 MDX [120k miles] that just started today. Car slips out of D3, D4, or D5 whenever I am at a full stop. I must start up in 1 or 2 and then shift into D3 - D5. Car stays in gear D3- D5 at speed.

I was unaware of all of these MDX tranny issues until now. Any comments? Thanks, Steve
    Sounds SOP....

Maybe you haven't noticed until now...?

Brake application at any speed REQUIRES that the lockup clutch be released, as does a FULL stop.
    At 200,000 even I would not suggest replacing "just" the torque converter.
  • tpulaktpulak Member Posts: 44
    I started this forum discussion of the transmissions over 3 years ago. I wanted to know the prevalence of transmission issues on the MDX. I own a 2004 MDX, that has now 90k miles, with no problems yet.

I see lots of transmission issues, but compared against the number of total MDX's on the road today, I don't see much of a high percentage of affected users? From the end of the year 2000 to the year 2006, a total of 322,760 MDX's have been sold. There are 476 messages in this forum, approximating to maybe 450 incidents.

This represents .13 % of the total cars sold. This percentage is not high enough to be able to state that the MDX's transmission has a design flaw.

Rather, I'd still say that this percentage represents those MDX's that are affected by the recalls for the transmissions, and torque converters.

I don't know what you guys would say, but this is my conclusion? Because many people are saying their MDX's are needing tranny replacements multiple times, and premature torque converter replacements.

But many of my friends and I own MDX's from varying model years, and none of us have any problems of the sort? One of my friends actually owns a 2001 MDX with 183k miles, and he has not stated any problems!

So I think this issue is something that affects some MDX owners, but it is definitely not some issue that is inevitable in ALL MDX's because of a design flaw.

For this, I think the affected people should boldy present the recall information. If the dealers don't accept, I think class action would be decent option, because there are nearly 450 different unique cases, which should be enough.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

tpulak
    Edmunds posts did not represent enough samples, or even the entire internet, to logically come to your conclusion. The evidence seems to indicate that the MDX with the VTM-4 system was having too many failures so/until the switch to SH-AWD was made.