Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• brownjen8brownjen8 Member Posts: 2
    Go to the Better Business Bureau, I filled out a report from them. Also google class action law suits against Nissan, I haven't joined one yet because I'm not sure which one to join and when you join one you don't get as much money as if you start one. I found a lot of sites to complain to and try to get action just by googling. Your state has a vehicle department you can also file a complaint with and they have to investigate.
  • unrelentingunrelenting Member Posts: 42
    Laura, seems you are also "unrelenting"....I would love to chat...but, no clue how to do it in the forum. Any ideas?
  • lauracpalmerlauracpalmer Member Posts: 35
    Check this out. NHTSA has begun an investigation re: the transmission/radiator nightmare.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/06/nissan-suvs-under-nhtsa-investigation- -for-transmission-issues.html

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2012/nissan-transmission-investigation-possibl- e.shtml

However it is critical that those who have experienced this nightmare report it to NHTSA. And if you had even a close call to what was or could have been a dangerous situation, this is so important to note. NHTSA looks at the dangers, not the cost. I know we are far from the only owners who came close to what could have been tragic due to the vehicle lurching forward in heavy 40 MPH traffic. Others have reported their transmissions dying while in the middle of heavy traffic. We finally have a chance to get these vehicles either off the road or fixed and also hopefully be reimbursed. Below is the site to the report starting the NHTSA investigation. This is where you can file a complaint: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/defectresults.cfm?start=1&Sear- chType=DrillDown&type=1&year=2005&make=NISSAN&model=PATHFINDER&component
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2012
    would love to chat...

That's the purpose of this site, and we all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum.
  • ck256ck256 Member Posts: 3
    Bummer, I wish we found this before we went car shopping on these, might have pushed us more towards a 2011.

We picked up a 2010 just yesterday with 20k miles for a pretty good price - it drives and shifts well. I did notice something funky with the transmission while test driving but having no other point of reference as my wife drove the 2012 we test drove - it just made a different noise at different points in the acceleration/decceleration cycle. It's my wife's vehicle and she likes it, so I'll check for the fluid issues when I get home. Paperwork is all done, but we have the 90 day period if something blows - plus the extended warranty. With 20k on it - there's 60k miles left under covereage for the transmission and 80k and the powertrain. Sorry to hear about everyone's problems - it sounds like Nissan is starting to take care of it. We had a similar issue with our Toyota Sienna Van that this vehicle replaced and at first the dealership was giving us a hard time about the repair, but I stuck to my guns, brought paperwork with me, and insisted they fix it under warranty and they did. This will be my 3rd Nissan product and I imagine they would do the same thing if you are persistent. Transmissions are a tough thing to do a recall on, because everyone that bought this car for 6 years would bring it in for work. That's probably what is going on here - they are avoiding responsibility. Good luck to everyone trying to get relief.

Any tips for us? Take it back? Get a transmission cooler? Wait till it breaks?

Great forum, keep up the chatter - strength in numbers!
  • pmuttonpmutton Member Posts: 1
    Well I wanted to let everyone know how badly I was treated as a customer by Nissan Warranty department, and the service department at Hamilton Nissan, by them giving us the run around on our warranty that had been extended from 2013 to 2018 which we were never told at time of purchase at Younger Toyota.
    Our experience with our 2008 Nissan Rouge, that I purchased back in November 2011 in the amount of $17,991.00 which only had 42,148 miles came when my husband and I took our first long trip, which was our honeymoon. We were coming back from our honeymoon, when the transmission seals went on highway 95, with transmission fluid all over the back hatch and window. We stopped at the first dealer we could find, which happened to be a ford dealer; they looked at my Nissan and informed my husband and I that the seals we had gone, and that they do not work on Nissan’s and the only way we were going to be able to get home was to continuously to put CVT transmission fluid in it, and hope that we make it home and that they do not even carry that fluid, and it would be hard to find. We left there and went two blocks down the street and purchased the only 4 quarts of fluid that Napa had and started back on 95 with 2 hours to drive home. Just an hour from home my husband stopped to check the fluid level; it was low. At this time, we were on 60, so we stopped several places to try to find CVT fluid, with no prevail; we had no choice but to put in another type of fluid. After many of hours smelling transmission fluid and panicking on whether we would make it home, we pulled up at our house; by the way we lived in the area that was hit by a storm. The next day July 1st, 2012 I called Hamilton Nissan to tell them all that had happened with my Nissan and a towing company, because I was not going to drive it there, so they picked up my Rouge, the same day my brother called and said my sister in law was dying from her five year battle with breast cancer in Phil Pa., and if I wanted to see her before she passed I needed to come now.
    Upon arriving at the Hospital Hamilton Nissan Warranty called me and told me that my Nissan Rouge would be covered, and that my Nissan transmission had been extended from 2013 to 2018 due to all the problems with the transmissions. I thanked her and informed her that I was in Phil with my sister in law, and if she needed me to leave a message and I would get back with her. Several hours later, Hamilton Nissan Warranty called me back and informed me, because of the last hour driving home, we put in another typed of transmission fluid, they were not going to cover it; I could not believe what she was telling me, I told her that we had stopped at several places, and no one carried the CVT fluid, and we wanted to get home, she said that, because of that the warranty was void, I informed her that the transmission had gone before that, and we had stopped at the Ford dealer and could prove it and that they would verify what they saw and what they told us to do, and that we left there and stopped two blocks away and purchased the only 4 quarts of CVT in that area. She said I would have to prove that by having them call her, so I called both places and gave them her phone number, (remember all this was going on while I was with my dying sister in law). I called her back and told her their phone numbers, and that I gave them her phone number. Several hours passed when I received another voice message from Hamilton Nissan Warranty, she stated that she would need documentations from them. So I went down stairs and called them, and they told me that would not be a problem, so I had them fax it to her. Thinking that this was all I needed, so very wrong… I received another call from the Warranty Dept, she informed me that due to the fact that I did not use a credit card, and that my name was not on the receipt from purchasing the CVT at Napa, they were not going to cover my car, I was very upset, I informed her that we do not use credit cards, and I was upset that she was calling me a liar, she stated that anyone could have purchased it, I said are you kidding me, how many people have that many problems with their CVT transmission, she informed that I my car was not going to be covered, and that I would have to contact the main office and discuss it with Nissan personally.
    So I proceeded to call them, and I was given a Warranty person named Richard in Ohio, (I mention him because he was the only person who was willing to listen to what had happened to my Nissan Rouge). He contacted many people and was turned down many times (now my car has been sitting at Nissan dealer for 2 and half weeks and I am without a car, and to make it worse my sister in law has passed away, and I have to get a ride to get to her viewing and funeral). In the middle of the third week, I received a call from Richard. He informed me that he has sent my nightmare to several people at Nissan Warranty, and told many people of how honesty I was about my car, and that I had put in 2 quarts of another transmission only to get home, but to no prevail Nissan was not going to cover my car, even though I was honesty, and had it looked at by another dealer and putting in the correct fluid prior to putting in the 2 quarts of another fluid. He informed me to call BBB of auto to see if they would fight it for me, He informed me that he was so sorry, and that he did not want to have to call me to tell me about their final decision, and he also told me that he has never had a car owner who was so honest with him about what was wrong with their car and what they had done. I thanked him for all his help and for not calling me a liar, like I had been told prior to a receipt that did not have my name on it. And for helping me as much as he could. I informed him that I would call BBB of auto, and that I would also be calling local news, my attorney, and anyone else who would listen to my Honeymoon Nightmare Nissan Rouge. He wished me luck and told me if he could help just to call him back.
    I proceeded to call BBB of auto and again told my Nightmare, she said she would be sending me information, but if Nissan Warranty called me back, see what they were going to do to fix this nightmare. Within the hour, I received a call from Richard from Nissan Warranty; he informed me that Nissan has changed their mind and are going to replace my transmission, and that he had already called Hamilton Nissan to inform them that there would be no charge to me. I thanked him for the good news, but informed in that due to all the problems with trying to get my car fixed. I would not be keeping my Nissan, due to the way I was treated, and that I was still going to let my feelings be heard about how customers are treated by not only the dealer warranty dept, but Nissan in general, and that I would be sending a letter, of how he was the ONLY ONE who was willing to help me correct this problem.
    I called Hamilton Nissan Warranty,
  • davmar727davmar727 Member Posts: 1
    Where can one get the aftermarket kit? We own an 06 with +121K miles and just started experincing the jerking at 40mph. I was preparing to hev the tranny flushed when I came upon this site. My wife usually dirves vehicle and told me today that it lunged forward at a stop sign few days ago. I checked the radiator and transmission no intermix yet. If you can help me out on where we purchase the kit, I would greatly appreciated.
    I think someone posted a kit from partsgeek.com

Sorry no link or pn
  • tammyxterratammyxterra Member Posts: 4
    If you know something can you please share it. I am single mom living in Chicago. My 2005 Xterra now has the strawberry milkshake of doom. I have contacted Nissan and they refuse to fix it. I went to NHTS and filed a complaint as well as the BBB. When my car took the dive I was pulling on to a highway. I pushed the gas and it didn't go. I could have been killed if oncoming traffic was closer. Before that no signs of radiator or transmission problems. Most important is that someone is going to get killed and secondary is I dont have the 5 grand to pay to fix it and I am still paying it off. I could use some advice. Thanks.
  • tammyxterratammyxterra Member Posts: 4
    How did you get them to pay for it???? I have 2005 Xterra that is currently worthless due to transmission/radiator.
    How many miles, if it's under 80000, they should fix it.
  • nwfindernwfinder Member Posts: 9
    Our 2007 Pathfinder is at 76,000 and it was suggested to us since we had not experienced a failure yet to add the transmission cooler behind the AC condenser. About $250 parts/labor. Anyone else been advised likewise?
  • lcplorbinatilcplorbinati Member Posts: 23
    watch that they are not attempting to skirt the warranty until its too late (to be covered by the Warranty and the trans goes).

I highly suggest getting it checked somewhere else.
    Jerking at 40??? If the clutches begin to rummble...kinda sounds like those cuts in the road surface they do to keep you awake if you sway off the highway lane.... that is a sign that the plates are beginning to swell...which is the 1st place the radiator fluid begins to affect. The swelling causes the rumble. The plates are high pressure pressed paper. Normally the condition occurs in the torque converter. If you accelerate thru the 35 to 50 MPH you may not notice early on. If you are smoothly driving in the city 35 to 40 MPH...as the vehicle goes into overdrive you will hear and feel the chatter. If you quickly push the OD disengage button on the shifter...the noise goes away. At this point...the fluids are beginning to mix. It's too late. Many folks have changed the fluid...but, the damage is done. It will get worse. In fact, some have had so much water in the transmission, that the electrical potions short out. If this happens, the vehicle will not start. The ele system in the transmission does not communicate with the main computer...so the starting system does not know that the transmission is in park. Thus, the computer shuts down the starting system. You can change the in line fuse in the cable...but, it will blow each time. It is really too late now.
    Update: We just contacted another Nissan dealer and they have a technician there that has done the cooler line bypass (no longer running through the radiator) on numerous Frontiers and Pathfinders. We have ours scheduled to be done next week. Only half hour labor and no parts except a couple clips and plugs $25 job. No additional cooler needed since it already has it on most models. I would only recommend doing this on vehicles approaching 80,000 since I don't know what this would do to the existing warranty.
  • dawnma1dawnma1 Member Posts: 11
    I filed a complaint the 24th of july, thanks for the info!
    Interesting, I'll see what ppl are going to charge here in Joplin. My dad, a retired mechanic, said pretty much the same thing as to connecting hoses differently, which I guess is ok cuz I like my Pathfinder, BUT it's actually a Nissan manufactoring problem that we are going to have to pay for and it's not at all fair! But thanks again for that info!!
  • alabrialabri Member Posts: 1
    I've purchased a pathfainder Model 2012 before ten days and was Manufactured. in March, but I feel remorse after reading numerous reports of non-positive for this vehicle. My question is Model 2012 has the same Defects or have been avoided.
    I think '12 is ok I haven't read any complaints past 2010 models, but I would just watch for awhile.
    No worries....the design was changed at the end of model year 2010.
  • mr2005mr2005 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2012
    does anyone have a contact for Nissan to discuss the transmission issue or does one have to go through the dealership?
    Call your local Nissan dealership to get the contact info for your regional customer service rep. Each region has their own rep in Nashville at the Nissan North America main office.
  • broadus1broadus1 Member Posts: 1
    Same issue with my suv. Intermix with coolant and tranny fluid, replaced radiator 800.00, told me to come back and test fluids after 1000 miles, same issue, flushed out the tran fluid 250.00,t old me to come back after 1000 miles to test fluid, same problem. Paid 600.00 to clean out transmission pan and whatever bs they told me, now rpms are revving high when I try to take off. Vehicle has 98k and it's paid off. Don't want a new vehicle, and want Nissan to take responsibility for this issue fOr everyone who has this problem!
  • alisonlalisonl Member Posts: 30
    Ok. Im sorry to hear you are having these problems with Nissan! For one, they know EXACTLY what the problem is. So, you need to go back to that Nissan, go to the highest level at the location and request ALL of your money because you will need it to replace your transmission. I had a Nissan do the same to me, flush the fluid...charged me when they knew the issues w/ the vehicles. So I raised some voice and got my money back, car was fixed at another Nissan. Mine was fixed in 2010..one of the "firsts" I believe. Anyway, please report this to the Highway Safety board...as a vehicle safety issue that your car wont accelerate and such, this is a safety hazard and THAT IS THE ONLY WAY THEY WILL RECALL!! OR IT TAKES A FAMILY TO DIE BEFORE THESE DAMN COMPANIES FIX A PROBLEM THAT IS THERES. And we are to teach our children to take responsibility for their mistakes right? Look at big business!!! Sickening. good luck to you. It's such a mess.
    I honestly tell EVERY Nissan owner I see to get it checked. I'm probably the crazy Nissan woman in Va Beach but I dont care. I would never talk about Nissan as a good company ever in my life.
    Great answer! As I wrote previously, and same as this response, it is so important to report this to Highway Safety as a dangerous safety issue. So many complaints have been about the money, which is huge, $6000.00 in our case, but the close call we had when our SUV went nuts in very busy traffic still lives with us. I am so grateful my husband had the quick reaction he did to take control of the vehicle so we and others were not hurt or worse. So important to report this to NHTSA!!! https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml">link title
    Here is the link again in case anyone has not filed a complaint, I have and I would recommend that everyone does. I still can't drive in overdrive I have to stay in 4th gear, which of course also sucks gas mileage. I hope that everyone will help each other here since we all are having this issue and file your complaint, I'm sorry for the ones that have already spent thousands to fix, you could hopefully get reimbursed something if the investigation NHTSA proves Nissan wrong.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml
    HELP SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THE INVESTIGATION AND FILE YOUR COMPLAINT.

http://dontbuynissan.wordpress.com/2012/08/19/nhtsa512complaints/
  • nissan07pathnissan07path Member Posts: 10
    On top of the transmission/radiator issue....Has anyone also experienced their pathfinder NOT STARTING/CRANKING. I brought it to the nissan dealership and they could not determine anything and assumed it was the ecu being burned out, i also looked online and they said it was a matter with the valve body having a short circuit. Does anyone who has experienced this problem know the real solution/problem?
    Water in the transmission can cause the valve body to short out. There is an in line fuse. Change the fuse...if it blows, you have contamination. The brain of the transmission has to tell the ignition sys that the vehicle is in park to crank. If this fuse is blown, the communication is not there. Thus...no start.
    Does anyone have a photo or diagram of what the radiator/bypass/transmission looks like? Trying to visualize the defect.....
    Does anyone's know the expected date for the conlusion of the recall investigation? Or the status of the class action lawsuit?
  • pathfinder15pathfinder15 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All

I'm experiencing the same problem, but my Path finder did not start acting up until 103336 miles, and Nissan want fix it for free, only if its at 80,000 miles they will fix it for free. now I'm stuck with an SUV that I can't drive.
    I would like to know how can I get on the class action suite for this Path Finder 2005.

Angela
  • sandkon1sandkon1 Member Posts: 11
    I have had the vibration problem with my 05 Pathfinder for a few years now. Nissan replaced the trans and radiator. The dealer has replaced the motor mounts and has torn the car apart and still cannot figure out what is causing the vibration. I have narrowed it down to 1400 rpms while cruising at lower speeds the car vibrates terribly. Yes it feels like rumble strips but replacing the trans and radiator did not change anything,. I drive the same local roads every day and experience this same problem every day. it is between 35-45 mph and cruising at 1400 rpms. you can accelerate out of it. Ujoints were checked, tires, balancing, axles even motor mounts replaced seemed to calm it down for a little while.. then it came back again. only 87,000 on the car. The car is going back to the dealer next week to be torn down again. Any ideas what else we can look at?
    The vibration feels like the torque converter locking up but that was also checked. like you are stuck between gears.

any insight will help
  • nissan07pathnissan07path Member Posts: 10
    Are there any diagrams online where I can find out how to pull this out? Or what part do I ask the parts store for? also is it related to any solenoids? I hope to get this done during the labor day weekend. Thanks
  • pathfinder2008pathfinder2008 Member Posts: 16
    I am not sure and still trying to find out how I can be included.

Is there anyone out there that knows how to create or find an existing class action law suit? If so, please post.
    This link should take you to right place to file complaint with ODI/NHTSA

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    File the complaint. We need everyone to be vocal. You need to stress the safety issue.

Last week I also sent multiple letters to folks in the NHTSA urging them to facilitate a recall. I outlined my story and the safety risk to family and other commuters. I urge you to do the same.
    Type in "Nissan Transmission Cooler Leak Caught on Tape" on YouTube and it shows the hose/tube that fails that runs through the radiator.
    I don't know why Nissan cannot just replace, with an updated design, the lower section of the radiator in a recall. To me it looks like it's a fairly simple remove and replace part.
    The vibration and chatter is in the torque converter as the computer is trying to bounce in and out of overdrive. You can click the little knob on the shifter to keep the transmission from going into OD until you accelerate to 50 MPH then click the button again. You are not fixing it....just bypassing it.
    So how can the torque convertor problem be fixed? I ride on msny roads where the speed limits are monitored and are 35 or 45 mph. When cruising at these speeds the engine is around 1400 rpms where the vibration kicks in. I sm sure if I explain to the cop who is writing that speeding ticket... But officer my torque convertor was bibrating snd I had to accelerate to get out of it... He will understand. The dealer has replaced my trans but that has mot solved the problem. The torque convertor was replaced with the new trans. There has to be a fix for tjis. It is going back to the dealer to be torn down again in the next few weeks. I will keep taking it back until they come up with a fix or resolve the issue.
    Press the button on the shifter in the center console. It locks out the overdrive (does not affect the lwr gears)....let me know if the vibration stops. If you accelerate to 50, push the button again...the computer will shift you into OD. C YA
  • grantinigrantini Member Posts: 8
    We had our radiator replaced at about 75k and the trannie around 105k. Ours is an 05 and we are the original owners. There is an interesting aside to this whole thing. When we bought the car, I put it in 2 wheel drive for the first couple years. At some point a service manager noticed it and insisted that I keep it in AWD, he said it would not affect the mileage and that the car was designed to be driven ALL the time in AWD. So I did. At some point subsequent to that the vibration started at high (75-80 mph)speed. Took it to a local mechanic, he found water in the transmission fluid, so I took it to the dealer and they replaced the radiator and flushed the tranny, insisting all was good. I paid for this, but was later reimbursed.

After this the vibration STILL was there at high speeds. I kept insisting it was a problem but was told it was fine. Finally at 105k, the tranny failed. We replaced it, again, at our expense, but no reimbursement yet. Still the vibration persisted. I continued to complain. Finally the service manager (now at 140k) said "why do you have it in AWD? If you drive at 85 in AWD you will tear the tranny apart." FYI, I had verified in the manual WAY back that you were supposed to keep it in AWD all the time. Bottom line, this transaxle/transmission is NOT designed to be driven in AWD at high speeds. I think this is contributing to the on going problems. This is ALSO a manufacturers defect in my opinion.
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    the first service manager is full of crap ,he just wants you in the repair shop more often . if you get into the drive ratio of the front and rear wheel differentials you will see its different in 4 wheel drive I believe the front wheels turn a little faster than the rear to keep it straight in the snow , so if you drive this way all the time you will surely wear out the front tires soon and maybe the front differential and more.
  • lisayanieflisayanief Member Posts: 1
    Could you help me with this same problem? I have been going round and round with Nissan about this Tranny, faulty radiator issue. They just keep yo yo-ing me around. I have an appt at a Nissan dealer for a "diagnosis". I tried to tell them that I cannot believe that I have to pay for a diagnosis that I'm already aware of. Please advise me as to how to go about getting them to pay for the repairs and do what is right. Thank You in advance. Lisa Y.
    What is you mileage? My diagnosis was $96.00 and took about 4 minutes once the vehicle was brought into the shop and the fun began.
    You did not mention is you have opened a claim with Nissan Assist. Make sure you call and open a claim. I was told it would cost me $7000. To fix mine. After opening a claim and lots of phone time with them ( if you can get past their voice mail system) they covered the trans and radiator as a warranty issue.ll. My car had less than 80,000 miles . I was told they extended the warranty on the trans to 80,000 miles. Take the car in. Get it diagnosed then call nissan assist to pen a claim . Stick to it. They are well aware of the trans issue. Speak to the service manager. Speak with a supervisor at Nissan Assist.
    As I wrote previously, and same as this response, it is so important to report this to Highway Safety as a dangerous safety issue. So many complaints have been about the money, which is huge, $6000.00 in our case, but the close call we had when our SUV went nuts in very busy traffic still lives with us. I am so grateful my husband had the quick reaction he did to take control of the vehicle so we and others were not hurt or worse. So important to report this to NHTSA!!! https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml
  • telephonytelephony Member Posts: 8
    Looks like Nissan has extended the warranty again to avoid admitting a defect in the radiator. Here are the details with links:

Up to 8 years/80,000 miles (whichever comes first): No customer co-pay
    After 8 years/80,000 miles (whichever comes first) up to 9 years/90,000 miles (whichever comes first): Customer co-pay is $2,500
    After 9 years/90,000 miles (whichever comes first) up to 10 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first): Customer co-pay is $3,000

http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiator/faqs.php?menu=22

http://www.nissanatoilcoolersettlement.com/CaseInfo.aspx?pas=nissanatoilcoolerse- ttlement
  • snowbird127snowbird127 Member Posts: 9
    So if I'm reading this right. anything over 100,000 is out of luck?

122K miles the problem happened for us and I spent $5000 to fix.

Just restating the fact people following this thread know - Nissan sucks.