Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• condrenvcondrenv Member Posts: 9
    CONGRATULATIONS !!!! Could you please share where you found the reimbursment form. So far I have laid out $1000 for a radiator and I am waiting for my transmission to completely fail.
  • rmt8571rmt8571 Member Posts: 8
    Here is the link to the website that will have the information you're looking for:

http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiator/index.php?menu=20

All I did was print out the Warranty Extension Claim Form, attach the repair order from the dealer that did the work, attach the credit card receipt, and attach a copy of my insurance card to show proof of ownership. Within a couple of weeks I got a check that completely covered the replacement of the radiator and transmission.

Hope this helps out.....good luck!!
  • sstanisstani Member Posts: 11
    Update on our situation; we had previous posts here on how our car has been sitting for a year undriveable because of our transmission issue where radiator leaked into it; Nissan wanted $6000 which we did not have; we took it to local mechanic who could not get it fixed correctly for a reasonable amount so our car just sat.

After all these posts on this site, I decided to take it back to Nissan and get a current report on our issue; I opened a case with Nissan Corporate and they were in contact with dealer on our problem. They asked me some questions about being a previous Nissan owner of other cars which we are and Guess what... They took car of fixing our car! We just got it back this week , I cannot believe it.. I would recommend others to do the same by opening a case with Nissan Consumer Affairs to see if they will assist.
  • nissanhaternissanhater Member Posts: 6
    I'm another member of the growing club of angy Nissan Pathfinder Owners. My transmission failed due to a crack in the radiator assembly that allowed coolant to enter the transmission. This should be safety recall because the transmission will slip and jerk while driving, this can lead to an auto accident. Nissan wants $6500 to replace the transmission and their defective radiator with a new radiator that is not guaranteed to have the same defect. Unbelievalbe. I recommend small claims court as opposed to the class action law suit against Nissan. The class action is unlikely to pay you for transmission replacement costs. But if the class action is the only way to go then I suggest you do it. PLEASE POST YOUR EXPERIENCE IF YOU SUED NISSAN IN SMALL CLAIMS ABOUT THIS TRANSMISSION/RADIATOR ISSUE!!
  • grantinigrantini Member Posts: 8
    I replaced our radiator in 2008, when our 05 pathfinder had 60k on it. Subsequently I have replaced the U joints and some bearings but not the tranny. I just got my check from Nissan for the radiator. I live in fear that the tranny will go but so far so good...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-autos-complaints-20101225,0,7649400.story

Thought this might be of interest, since some of the material for the story was based on complaints found in these forums.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Why did you replace your radiator in 2008? Did you somehow find out about the radiator leaking into your trans?
  • grantinigrantini Member Posts: 8
    and the trannie was rough.....
    Wow, I'm surprised your transmission hasn't completely failed yet. I've disconnected the tranny lines from my radiator in order to bypass the radiator and prevent coolant from entering the transmission. I also flushed my transmission several times but the problem with slipping/jerking is still there. I refuse to pay the more than $6k to replace the tranny and DEFECTIVE radiator. How do you know if the new radiator isn't defective as well? Anyway, check out this article if you havn't already...it specifically mentions the Nissan Transmission Issue. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-autos-complaints-20101225,0,7649400.story
    Don't give up Alison.

I'm also dealing with the DEFECTIVE RADIATOR/TRANSMISSION issue.
    File your complaint with NHTSA - they are the ones who issue vehicle recalls.
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

You can view my complaint with NHTSA (ODI#10372798)
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/index.cfm

File a complaint with your states District Attorney's Office
    California is here:
    http://ag.ca.gov/

Read an article in the LA TIMES:
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-autos-complaints-20101225,0,7649400.story

Everyone has to follow-through, it's the only way to make a difference.
    I know these guys are a-holes - they have the easiest job on earth, they
    just no how to say "Request Denied." Stay on it and blog and post everywhere,
    that's what I'm trying to do. If anyone has new websites for us to post, please
    provide them in this forum.
  • 2_late_4_me2_late_4_me Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my 2006 Pathfinder last Monday after getting the transmission rebuilt due to the radiator issue. Just got my letter today extending the warranty. Unfortunately I have 142,000 miles on mine and was told by Nissan they wouldn't do anything for me, despite my previously owning 2 other Nissans. I basically drove it until it died because it was already out of the warranty period. DO NOT WAIT to get service as the transmission WILL fail.

If they had done this when posts first started appearing on the web-site, I would have done things a little differently. This will definitely be my last Nissan.

I hate to wish trouble on anybody but hopefully everyone's transmission goes before the extended warranty runs out.
  • tjohn65tjohn65 Member Posts: 2
    I finally brought my 2006 Pathfinder into the dealer after reading these posts for a few months. My truck with 70k miles started shuttering between 40-50mph. I drained about 4 quarts of transmission fluid out and it was slightly milky. I realize there's another 8 quarts and the whole flush process, but I wasn't about to do all that. Anyway, after the simple 4 quart switch, things were actually a little better. Then I lost the heat. I checked the overflow radiator tank and only added a little more antifreeze. The heat seemed to be better but the shuttering started coming back.

So today I dropped off the truck and explained what I thought the problem was (also noticed the new ECM replacement item from Nissan Assist) and told them of this board and that I was experiencing the same exact problem. Well they called me this afternoon, they explained that the transmission was indeed contaminated and both it and the radiator needed to be replaced. They were waiting for a phone call from Nissan headquarters to see if they would cover the cost of the transmission.

When I picked it up (no actual service work performed), they told me that Nissan had called them back and said they'd cover everything, including a loaner car. My dealer ordered a new Nissan radiator and a refurbished/rebuilt-by-Nissan transmission. Should be in next week.

I've had 2 prior Pathfinders (leases), and my wife a Maxima and now an FX35. Is it time to shy away from Nissan products? I've always baby'd my cars and they look, run, and function better than most newer versions. My current Pathfinder is no exception, as it looks newer than many 2009/2010 models. Question is: once I get it back, should I start to think about getting rid of it or with everything be replaced under warranty, is it good for at least another 70k miles? Thoughts????
  • mbmsteele3mbmsteele3 Member Posts: 4
    tjohn65 that is a good question! i myself had it out with the shop forman at my local nissan shop back in dec. i told him what i found on this web site and what my truck was doing! he pretty much told me nothing was wrong with it and that just to turn my radio and i wouldn't hear the viberation noise coming from the truck! well i didn't fight him i bought some extended warranty back in feb so i knew i was covered if something went wrong i had a witness to say that i tried to turn it in but got turned away! well come the week of new years my truck started jerking into gear and i couldn't take it no more i took it back and told him i was not going to get it back until something was done! i am waiting for it to get out of the shop now! i am also getting a rebuilt nissan furnished transmission and new radiator! i was wondering too if i should keep it for a little while or wait a few weeks and still trade it in! i love my pathfinder itself but i have had it for 3 years now and have nothing but problems with it! i am so tired of the worry!
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    edited January 2011
    Hi worry wart 1 Im worry wart 2
    I have a pathfinder 2004 le ,and its only got 64K on it and its now starting to make a knocking noise when its very quiet and at Idle , when I put it in drive the noise well seems to go away, I was told by others that it could be a timing chain tensioner thats worn a big costly $$ job or a rod knocking NETHER BIG COSTLY JOB EITHER WAY , AND THAT BACK RESONATOR HAD A BROKEN FLANGE SO i PATCHED IT MY SELF FOR NOW.any way its worth about 9,000 to 10,000 private and probably 8,000 on a trade in .I cant go for a new one so I would have to trade it in for a used vehicle,it sure wont be a 4x4 or a nissan ,so what would you do keep it and put money into it or get rid of it while it still looks and runs good? except for the noise thats not that noticeable unless its really quite and you are listening for it.
  • mbmsteele3mbmsteele3 Member Posts: 4
    well i just got my truck back today! i am still worried about driving it! it sounds so much better but i have been driving it for so long with the viberation noise that i am waiting for me to hear it again! i hope i never do but i will always worry as long as i have this vehicle i think! i think i am going to give it a few months then trade it in! i think i am going with ford this time! not sure yet! but one thing i know for sure i am not going back to a nissan!
  • runnermcmrunnermcm Member Posts: 12
    I'm glad to hear you had success. Despite it taking so long.
    In December, I was a day away from trading the piece of junk in and I got a phone call from Nissan Corp about a Customer Service Survey I filled out. It was a survey link sent in an email that you think they would never read or care what you say. Well, I put in 'I'd NEVER buy again or recommend ..., etc.' on all questions and I filled in 'my story' in the comments. The Nissan lady asked what they could do. I said 'replace my transmission'. I sent her an email and PDF of all of my documentation/proof (my long story involves a dealership saying there was nothing wrong and refusing to help me). Sure enough a dealer in a bordering town was called by Nissan. They proved my problems back in November and again stood by me. Nissan ended up replacing my transmission at no cost to me. It really surprised me. I am grateful, but really disappointed in Nissan. I definitely don't respect them like I did. I want everyone out here to keep trying and get what you deserved. It took me more than 2 months - it felt like forever though. I can't imagine going through it longer like most of you. And thanks to the last person who sent the LA Times news item. Makes me feel better that it wasn't just a few of us that stood up for ourselves and complained.
  • gharpmangharpman Member Posts: 88
    After initially negotiating with Nissan over my trans and radiator (about a year ago), I paid $450.90 for the labor on the job. when the new warranty extension came out, I called Nissan and resubmitted my proof of ownership and Dealer repair invoice. After about three calls, in the course of a month, Lo and Behold, they sent me a check for $450.90. You have to be persistent.
  • djsfishingdjsfishing Member Posts: 1
    Thats to bad 146K is high but Nissan has known about this for a while. I had 89K and they denied my warranty work. They are limiting this to 80K. I hope evey one who is looking a new vehicles reads this thread.
  • blastlaneblastlane Member Posts: 10
    Just another short update. Since we got our $5,000 back from Nissan, I have purchased a new car! We got a Subaru this time.
  • bev62bev62 Member Posts: 9
    The heater on my 2007 Pathfinder has resently started not getting hot while idling. As long as I'm giving it gas it's fine. I also have the same issue as so many others with my transmission and radiator. My radiator has a milky greasy substance in it. My transmission is very jerky and feels like I'm driving over rumbling strips at 40 to 50 mpg. I have an appointment this week at the dealership. I have 69000 miles so I'm hoping Nissan will fix it under the new extended warrenty. Did anyone else have issues with their heater when they had the problems with their radiator and transmission?
    We are a Nissan family. We have bought 14 new Nissans over the last 20 years and have swore to never own anything else. The 2007 Pathfinder that we currently have has been one problem after the other. I guess I'll find out what Nissan thinks of their loyal customers this week when they decide how they will handle my current issues.
  • katraykatray Member Posts: 7
    We had the same problem I have read about here with our 2005 Pathfinder. We had to have the transmission replaced in June 2010. We, as well as the transmission mechanic called Nissan to ask about an extented warranty and were told there was none. We had to take out a loan and I'm not exaggerating to say it was an awful time for our family. My husband saw a friend today who had the same car and the same problem however Nissan paid all his costs. I found the reimbursement form online but it has a July 31, 2010 postmark by. Can anyone tell me if I should still try to submit this form. Thank you very much, Kathy
    I just received the notice from Nissan about the warrenty being extended to 80,000 miles last week. I think that the July 2010 date was error, it probably should have said 2011. I would send it in. How many miles did you have on your vehicle when the repair was done?
    please let me know if this applies to a 2003 Nissan with only 64,000 miles on it
    thank you
    Here is the extended warrenty I received. It dosen't include 2003 but I would still check into it.

***** Warranty Extension Announcement *****
    This announcement is to inform you that Nissan has decided, for customer satisfaction purposes, to extend the warranty for the Radiator Assembly on all 2005-10 Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions.
    The New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage on applied vehicles for the Radiator Assembly will be extended from its original duration of 3 years/36,000 miles to 8 years/80,000 miles (whichever occurs first). This warranty extension applies only to the Radiator Assembly (and its component parts), including damage, repairs, replacement, and related towing resulting from this issue. Customers who may have previously paid for a repair that would have been covered by this extended warranty will be eligible for reimbursement. Coverage of other vehicle components will remain unchanged, and all other terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions of Nissan’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty continue to apply.
  • katraykatray Member Posts: 7
    Thank you, I will send it in. There was about 78,000 miles
  • lawrence5017lawrence5017 Member Posts: 6
    I had the same issue about 6 months ago shortly after i purchased the vehicle.
    Low rumble sound between 40-50 mph, the dealer told me they had never heard of the defect and that they couldn't replicate it.
    i had to drive the mechanic around town until he acknowledged there was a noise.
    I paid to have the trans fluid replaced and decided to follow the direction of others on line and by pass the radiator oil cooler, so far so good!!
    However now that Nissan has acknowledged the issue i want to take it back to the deal to either replace the radiator, trans or both.

-Would you reccomend i reconect the transmission fluid lines back to the radiator before i take it in to the dealer?

-Do you think they will replace the Radiator, Trans or both given the issue i have had in the past?

I don't want to hear any BS from Nissan to say i voided the Warranty because i bypassed what is obviously a defect from them to start with.

2005 Pathfinder 58,000 miles. :confuse:
    I had only 38,500 MI;but with the extended warranty from Nissan you have a fighting chance. Be persistent
  • agggaggg Member Posts: 3
    where can i get the form or do have the link so i can try to get the same one to see if i can get reimbursted for my transmission replacement and its funny how my heater has been doing the same thing doesnt heat unkless im driving and even then its not that great
  • witts_endwitts_end Member Posts: 6
    Ok....'06 Pathfinder.....83,000 miles and as shocking as this may sound...transmission issue. Between 40-45 mph (consistently) a distinct shuttering. I decided to take the truck to a local transmission shop only after I had an awful experience with the dealership (Vision Nissan, Webster, N.Y.). Let's replace the torque converter...sure why not?!?!? Two weeks later.....oh boy, crack in the radiator leaking antifreeze in to the transmission....new radiator, rebuilt transmission, all to the tune of $4000.00. Guess what I just received.....a warranty extension to 80,000 miles. Interesting how they didn't choose to recall this obvious flaw but extended the warranty to a number just under when most people seem to be experiencing the same issue. Nissan assist was of no help because I obviously was over the mileage by 3,000. I now have a claim in to Nissan Customer Service...we'll see how this goes....I'm going to go out on a limb and say....not well. I really am so discouraged by this entire experience.....I don't know where to turn
    http://69.20.42.242/web_app/main/default.aspx?ID=73&PT=5

Nissan 2005 Pathfinder Radiator Defect
    Pathfinder 2005: Radiator Leak Causes Transmission Damage

The Firm has commenced a class action on behalf of purchasers or lessees of 2005 Pathfinder vehicles. The complaint alleges these vehicles have defective radiators which leak coolant into the vehicle’s transmission thereby causing damage to the transmission and requiring repairs at significant cost. The complaint alleges that Nissan has refused to cover the cost of the repairs, including those to the transmission, even when the issue arises, or the claim is made, prior to the end of the 6 year/ 60,000 powertrain warranty coverage.

Plaintiff seeks the reimbursement of expenses resulting from the replacement of the defective and/or damaged parts. If you are experiencing this problem and wish to learn more about this litigation, please contact GARY S. GRAIFMAN, ESQ., at ggraifman@kgglaw.com or (800) 660-7843 at the Firm, or by writing to:

Gary S. Graifman
    You gotta really get on their case. Also you may want to join many of the Class Action suits against Nissan on this topic. I was lucky, I actually got back what I spent on repairs;but next auto purchase,"Bye,Bye Nissan."
    there has been a lot of controversy on the Nissan VQ35 engines and older V6 engines and transmissions, a known fact the small set screws in the swirl valve can become loose and destroy an engine,fix a new or rebuilt engine $7,000 also the radiator leaking into the transmission $5,000 , and the timing chains wearing the tensioners out to a whopping $2,000 repair bill , is there any other engines out there that wont give you these problems for at least 200,000 miles?
    I really hope there isn't also a problem with their engine. I invested in this car and hoped to have it a long time. I also hate to just trade it in and let someone else have the problems. I'll have to look into the engine issue to try to prevent it. Can you provide facts on this?
    Thank you for responding. I am happy to hear that you were reimbursed...truly. I know what you mean.....Nissan no more! I have completely lost faith in the product line and the company.
    They just sent me a link to fill out a questionnaire about the radiator/trans issue.
    I gave 'em hell. Said I was done with Nissan after this. Incidentally, it's appaling to know that 2007 Pathfinders are suffering the same problems. Nissan really doesn't give a crap. The only reason they extended the warranty is that they were being sued in several class actions.
    UPDATE: Just left the dealership after taking my Pathfinder in for all the issues I was having. They said that my radiator is cracked, which has destroyed my transmission and heater core. Also said that the gas gage is bad and timing belt is believed to be stretched. They gave me a loaner and said that everything was covered under the extended warranty. THANK GOD. I was really surprised they had no problem at all taking care of everything.
    Good for you Bev!!! I am really happy to hear that some people are being duly compensated and taken care of. The amount of people that have had this exact same issue is mind boggling. I don't believe that these trucks should have been allowed to leave the line with this type of issue. WOW!!
    Amen to that!!!!! I am seriously considering the class action route......this is just ridiculous!!!!!
    I agree, I can't believe that it's taken this long to finally do something about it. Even though they are taking care of this I don't know that I'll be so eager to buy another Nissan. They have shown me what kind of company they are after they've cost people thousands of dollars for an engineering mistake.
  • lawrence5017lawrence5017 Member Posts: 6
    I have had the same issues as above, low rumble noise at 40-50 mph, i went to the dealer last summer and they told me nothing they could do other than to flush the transmission.
    I later found all of these issues on line and completed the bypass to prevent the issue again.
    Now Nissan has recognized the issue i would like to take it back to them but im not sure if i should reconnect the transmission lines before i take back in?

Has anyone else completed the bypass and then taken it into Nissan , do they try to say we voided the warranty by bypassing a defect they caused in the 1st place?? :mad:
    The dealer appears to be screwing you. Get the radiator (and hopefully the trans) replaced by the dealer under the warranty . Get the form from Nissan North America for the Warranty extension. Fill it out,submit it and push hard.
    You'll have to fax them the Bill of Sale and maybe other documents.
    Make sure after the radiator is replaced to take it to a reliable trans place and have them reverse the trans cooler hoses from normal setup. Good Luck
  • jlw1028jlw1028 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Reading these threads has just put me in panic mode! Exactly one week ago today, I took my 2005 Pathfinder in for the ECM Relay recall. I didn't really notice much when I picked it up but about 1-2 days later it started riding really rough and has a loud roaring noise. My husband drove it over the weekend and told me something is wrong with the transmition. I got the recall notice for the radiator last week (same day I took it in for the other recall) but it only goes to 80K so I disregarded it as I have 127K. Today I called the dealership that worked on it last week and thought this problem I was having had something to do with the ECM relay that was just replaced but from what I am reading, it is not related. I told service today when I called that it sounds and feels like I am driving on the side of the road where they cut the groves in the pavement. When I read your thread of jerky and feels like you are driving over rumbling strips, it made me realize it is my transmission. What I don't get is why it was fine until last week when I had the ECM relay replaced! I always questioned this dealership trustworthyness but now I am wondering if they could have done something. Why would it have just started a day or 2 after? Could they have done anything to my radiator? They had to pull up information relating to Pathfinder recalls to make sure they had my part in stock and then they called me back to schedule the appointment. Could they have seen that has been an issue & recall or is it just my luck and the timing of this? I will NEVER again go to this dealership or buy Nissan as this is not the first time something like this has happened. Let me add that the tire pressure sensor was coming on and I asked them to check it too. They told me the other people that worked on it didn't know how to reset it when they filled the tires. I told them I put air in the tires but they saw that we had the oil changed by another mechanic who has been working on our other car. The way they commented about the "other" mechanic made me feel like I was being scolded for taking the car somewhere else.

We are taking it tomorrow to this "other" mechanic that works on Nissan, Mercedes, etc... I'm dreading what we will hear as it sounds identical to what I am reading. Wish me luck!
    Best thing to do is contact Nissan North America re: radiator/trans problem. their extended warranty on the radiator will help you. And you have to push them to pay for radiator and trans since the radiator problem percipitated the trans failure. Their are a number of class action suits against Nissan. I think they may be running scared. Be aggressive.
    well the models that were having transmission problems were the 2005-2006 , so the first thing you can easily do is pull out the transmission dip stick and look at the color of the fluid it should be slight amber to pink, then let it cool off good and open your radiator cap and look at the color of your antifreeze ,it should be green or sometimes amber . If you know a good mechanic he will do this for you at first then you will know idf its the transmission problem . what happened in 2005 Nissan switched radiator vendors and thats when it all started.
  • bmoon1bmoon1 Member Posts: 2
    Ok so when I took my 05 pathfinder in to be fixed it cost $4500.00 for everything to be fixed. It had 131,000 miles on it so is there any hope for reimbursment?
  • tseyffstseyffs Member Posts: 12
    Its my understanding now that there was a recall issed for the radiator issue, which utimately led to the transmission issues....
    BUT, for any recall no matter what, they have to fix and or re-imburse.
    Thats my understanding anyway.... Maybe someone else knows more?
    You can take 2 courses of action. First, call Nissan North America tell them you had and repaired the problem, the cost and that you know you are over the
    extended warranty miles,but is there anything they can do. If you have been a pripr Nissan owner that may help.

Second, join may of the Class action suits against Nissan for this problem. If there is a settlement, you can get your $$$ back.

http://www.transmission-lawsuit.com/?gclid=CPLH18OZj6UCFYIKKgodOgmxNA
    I'm sorry to be ther bearer of bad news but Nissan as a comapny couldn't care less about their customers. This obvious defect in their product which should have been a recall is just an extended warranty up to 80,000. We had 83,000 on our's when we tried for reimbursement on the $5,000 that we spent and their stand is.....3,000 over...too bad so sad. As a matter of fact the regional manager that we spoke with told us "even if you were at 80,001 you would not be eligible and no amount of talking is going to change that fact". Nice attitude Maryanne.....just lovely.