Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• gharpmangharpman Member Posts: 88
    One more reason not to buy a Nissan again. After my experience with my Pathfinder (and I got money back from Nissan after protracted attempts) i'm done.
  • boonissanboonissan Member Posts: 9
    If anyone is interested in joining our class action law suite please contact Gary Graifman. I have attached the link. I am a plaintiff in this suite for the state of Pennsylvania. We have plaintiffs from a number of states attached to this suite. I was of the first to experience the problem almost 2 years ago. I like many of you did not fully need to replace the transmission until after the 80,000 mile mark. Although problems were beginning much earlier, my mechanic at the time did not think that a defective radiator was the problem. So other things were replaced prior to it being to late. I had a complete transmission failure at 92,000. My problems started around 60,000. All people who experience a breakdown of the radiator which cause failure of the transmission and/or other parts should participate in the lawsuit if they have not been reimbursed by Nissan. Here is the link: http://69.20.42.242/web_app/main/default.aspx?ID=73&PT=5
  • costsconcernedcostsconcerned Member Posts: 1
    Wow I am so glad I stumbled on this blog, I thought i was alone with this problem. I too went to a Nissan dealer and informed them of my transmission having slipping issues. They told me up front that the transmissions in this model have had no problems to there knowledge and to try and flush the system and add new (special Nissan only manufactured) fluid at a cost of $20 bucks a quart. Well this worked great for about 2 months and then the shuddering at about 45 to 50 mph. started, followed by more slipping and then finally crapping out in the middle of our last ct. storm on the way home from work. Never did Nissan mention any of these issues, which after reading this I'm sure they were aware of, but know I am just over my warranty mileage and am fearful i will get stuck with one hell of a hefty bill. I will contact Nissan and follow up on this with legal action as I hope every one here will. If enough of us are informed and willing to fight this they should have no option but to settle.
  • mbmsteele3mbmsteele3 Member Posts: 4
    wahoo! i am so happy i finally got rid of my 05 piece of crap nissan! i will tell you if it wasn't for having that extended warrenty i would have had to pay 7000.00 for repairs on it the past 4 months and i am so sorry for those of you that actually have to pay for it and having to fight to get your money back! but i just became a sah mom and there was no way i could afford the upkeep of that vehicle b/c with it just getting a new tranny in jan it was still messing up on me and the viberation noise still hasn't stopped! anywhoo i am just estatic that i traded it in and NEVER ever will i ever own another nissan again! i went to chevy this time!
  • fishman4fishman4 Member Posts: 5
    Hey I was curious, did you get your car fixed at a Nissan dealership? We paid $5,000 for a new trany before the radiator recall and now they say they wont reinburse b/c we didnt have the work done at their dealership. Yah, Nissan doesnt care at all about their customers..we are way under 80,000 miles too.
  • grantinigrantini Member Posts: 8
    We did have the repairs done by nissan... purely by luck...
    Our Transmission failed in our 05 Nissan Pathfinder in July 2010, we took it into a local transmission shop, they found radiator fluid in our tranny. We went straight to Nissan they said they knew nothing of their radiators being defective and hadn't heard of anyone elses transmission shuttering around 50 mph. So we shelled out $5000 and had our transmission replaced, Nissan didnt have any newer radiators so the shop put the radiator and tran on their own cooling system so that the radiator wouldnt leak into the tranny again, and ruin the new one. It wasnt a huge change in the system, just a $300 cooling system for the radiator. In Dec 2010 we found out Nissan had recalled their radiators, we started the reinbursment process, it was almost complete, then Nissan said they wanted us to get the new radiator installed even though our seperate system was working just fin, and then they would reinburse us. Took our car in , got the new radiator installed, had to buy the $20 hose to connect rad to tranny. Then Nissan said they wont reinburse b/c we had the radiator put on its own cooling system (mind you it was only $300 out of the $5000 to have that done and we bought the $20 hose that made our system back to normal) so we had to talk with the Nissan consumer affairs, to dispute this, then they came back and said, I quote, "Nissan does not reinburse for work done at other shops because we cant guarentee their work" We are now going to the Attorneys General office b/c we were told from the beginning that it didnt matter if we had it fixed at another shop, we werent under warranty AND their recalled part broke our transmission, and we took it to a transmission shop, then they said they never reinburse for work done outside of NIssan.......NEVER dealing with Nissan again!!Such bad business practice
    Fixed at Nissan Dealership. Even though I spearheaded it,they worked with me through trans and radiator replacement. And I got my $$$back from Nissan, a year later--after they extended the warranty on the radiator.
    We completed a bypass by giving the radiator its own cooling system and the tranny one. This was done before the recall, after we found out about the recall they denied us first by saying since we 'altered' the tran and rad they wouldnt reinburse us, so we had our car taken into Nissan, they put the new radiator in and we had to buy the $20 hose to have the rad hooked back up to trans. So everything is back to normal, now Nissan says they still wont reinburse b/c we had a new transmission put in at another dealer. We are fighting this as the new trans cost $5000.
    Maybe we are dealing with different matters though, it sounds like you didnt have a new transmission put in?
  • santonio1santonio1 Member Posts: 18
    I am new here, but i have a 2005 pathfinder with 57k (low miles) and i got the letter for the radiator extension. Now i haven't been to the dealer for the ECM recall but going in soon...They said that they will check the radiator at the same time...i haven't had any trany slipping or shuddering or signs of fluid on ground. I said to the Service manager on the phone that what i have is a ticking timebomb right?? he said no i have people with $125k in here and their radiator is fine! I'm like well your telling me they don't all fail? he said no..I said so what happens when the radiator fails on me, when i am over the 80k?? he said your on your own!! I called Nissan america and opened up a claim and told them my situation...You know when i bring it in they will tell me the rad. is fine and not cracked. Shouldnt Nissan just replaced these to eliminate the future Trany replacement and bad press??? what should i do with it? I just paid it off and not in a position to trade since i just got divorced....what is it worth with that mileage and in ave.condition.??
    Since its under warrenty you should just have them replace the radiator anyway. You have a right to have the new one put it
  • santonio1santonio1 Member Posts: 18
    they already said they won't if its not broken yet....
  • tjohn65tjohn65 Member Posts: 2
    I'd pour some antifreeze down the tube for the transmission fluid and tell them the transmission has started to shift oddly. Don't wait until it's too late and you're stuck with the bill!
  • use2workuse2work Member Posts: 1
    I was fortunate with my '05 Pathfinder. After experiencing same problems with transmission, ECM, fuel sensor, and radiator, made appointment with my local Nissan dealer. Vehicle has 66,500 miles and just expected all these items but transmission to be replaced. I was prepared to hassle over the underlying main problem, the transmision. Tech rep. called me same day, however, to inform radiator and transmission will also be included at no charge.
  • santoniosantonio Member Posts: 2
    use2work , you were having the bucking at 50 mph? Did you see it leaking antifreeze on driveway....did they have all parts in stock and how long did it take to repair?
    Really! Because with ours they said that even though we had it fixed at another place they still wanted us to have them, Nissan, put in the new radiator, then they said they would reinburse us for our transmission $5,000, so we had them put the new radiator in , waited for our check in the mail, then they said they never reinburse for work done at another shop, even though it was the radiator that broke it....ugh, we are fighting that one now - but yah, they wanted us to get the new one since the old ones can break your tranny. If you have an 05 and that radiator was recalled, I would absolutely fight it that they put a new one in, or have them sign something that says if it breaks in the future, even over 80,000 miles that they will pay for it b/c they refused to put one in now.

I dont know, but Im not liking Nissan at all now :mad:
  • bev62bev62 Member Posts: 9
    The dealership called and said that my vehicle was ready after having it for 3 weeks. They replaced the radiator, transmission, water pump, heater core, and thermastat. Everything was covered under the extended warrenty. I was just lucky I had less than 80,000 miles on my vehicle.

I still can't believe Nissan didn't issue a recall on this problem. So many people have had to pay for this Nissan screw-up out of their own pockets. This will be my last Nissan.
  • 2_late_4_me2_late_4_me Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone ever seen any news article on this? Maybe that is the way to push Nissan to take care of these problems for everyone. When Toyota had their problems, the story was all over the place. A ruined transmission won't kill anyone but it sure can kill a family's savings or finances. I was over the mileage when mine crapped out and had to get my tranny rebuilt (with a new radiator) instead of replacing it because of the cost. It still cost me $2500 and now I was told that the catalytic converter is shot which will cost another $1700.
  • condrenvcondrenv Member Posts: 9
    I am one of those people who were screwed by Nissan !!! After fighting with Nissan USA for over 6 month they denied my claim for the 5th time and closed my case. :( I had to replace the transmission and radiator at my own expense. I say we get as many people as possible to post how we feel about Nissan and all of our problems on thier facebook page. I did this a couple of weeks ago an boy... boy... did I ruffle a few feathers. Well at the least I felt better that I could share my horrible ecperience with others.
  • lawrence5017lawrence5017 Member Posts: 6
    Did your vehicle have the rumble sound at 50 mph or did you have another symptom that caused you to take it in.
    What basis did the dealer use to say you needed a new trans?
    I'm getting ready to take mine in and want to make sure they replace the transmission as well as the Radiator as i have had the rumble in the past.
    I have been preventing it by keeping my trans fluid replace fairly frequently.

Thanks
    Rumbling was key issue. Knew it was trans. Called local reliable Trans place to confirm. They said they knew about problem and I should have it and radiator done. Battled with Nissan. They eventually had me pay 1/2 dealer labor charge ($450). I got the money back from Nissan, with a lot of effort, after they extended the radiator warranty. All along, they did not want to link the trans problem with the radiator;but too much pressure from customers and lawsuits and they finally extended the radiator warranty.
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    It doesn't matter if you change your fluid once its a leak from the radiator into the transmission cooling lines it goes right into the fluid and mixes with it,your only hope is to get the radiator replaced and the transmission flushed twice to get it all out.
  • bev62bev62 Member Posts: 9
    Mine was rumbling and slipping. There was transmission fluid mixed in the coolant in the radiator. Once the dealership saw it there was no questions ask they just said that it was the radiator defect. They ended up replacing my radiator, transmission, water pump, heater core, and thermostat.
  • andony06andony06 Member Posts: 2
    I have recently purchased a 2006 pathfinder from a dealer and am curious as to how I should go about finding out if I possibly have a tranny problem or how to determine if there is a future problem that I should look out for. I do know that there is an external tran. cooler on my vehicle and it looks like a factory installed unit. I know that the vehicle has a towing package from Nissan (at least that is what I was told at the dealer).

I also noticed during the initial driving test at the time of purchase that there was a slight noise during takeoff but the salesman put it off to sand on the driveway? Even my wife noticed this and she was the driver when this occured. Now I have my doubts after reading all the problems from Nissan owners of 05, 06, and 07 models.

Is the name of the radiator readily visible on the radiator as it is installed in the SUV? Can the radiator fluid be tested for water content?

Any help on this matter will be most appreciated and thanks for any advice that I receive.
    IF THE COOLER IS OUTSIDE THE RADIATOR AND THERE ISNT ANY CONNECTO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE RADIATOR WITH OPTIONAL COOLING LINES THEN YOUR 100% SAFE THAT NO ANTIFREEZ WILL GET INTO THE TRANSMISSION
    CHECK THE SIDES OF THE RADIATOR ALSO FOR POSSIBLE TRANSMISSION LINES GOING TO IT . A LOT OF OWNERS HAD TO INSTALL AN INDEPENDANT COOLING KIT AND DISCONNECTED THE ORIGINAL SET UP INTO THE RADIATOR TO REMEDY THIS PROBLEM. HERES A VIDEO ON HOW TO INSTALL A COOLER KIT---http://www.etrailer.com/Transmission-Cooler/Nissan/Frontier/2000/D13502.ht- ml?vehicleid=20005360
  • tim2011tim2011 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2006 with 73,000 miles and it seems to be the transmission issue. I just replaced the tires and still get a slight shimming in the front end at 50-60mph,I also get a clicking sound in the front end when I slow to stop which sounds like it slows down as the wheels slow down to stop then is gone when stopped. Do you think this is the transmision and what should I tell the dealer ? Thanks for any guidance.
    Check to see of wheel bearing or CVC joint problem.
    I cannot find any loose parts in front end will have to check further. Thanks.
    you will hear a rasping noise if it's a wheel bearing. similar noise with possibley more grinding if it's a cvc joint. Also could be a bad engine mountif noise is not coming from wheels.
    It makes a clicking sound like something is not engaging and slows down as the wheel slows down-when in 4 wheel drive sound goes away and 4 wheel drive sounds very rough.
    Still sounds like cvc or wheel bearing.
  • alisonlalisonl Member Posts: 30
    So...I am back. One of many who not only got shafted on the fuel pump replacement but the full transmission/radiator replacement. I'm down ~$5,000 out of pocket for major repairs. NOW can you believe, my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder that I drove off the Nissan lot brand new has paint peeling on the hood and down the side of the front windshield. Yup, under the paint is green. I am so beyond disbelief. A 6 year old car...peeling paint. What do we do? Who do we go to? Who is listening? This is beyond what I can take. The car has been the worst nightmare financially. And now Im going to HAVE to drive around w/ a spotted embarrassing paint job because my savings went to nothing since the transmission incident. Its so sad. Noone listens. I think I may truly find free consultation from consumer lawyers just to see what they say.
  • 9728jim9728jim Member Posts: 10
    My 2005 Pathfinder made similar noise and vibration around 40 mph and higher. Turned out to be the universal joints in both the front and rear. Had to replace them twice over the 125K miles I have on the vehicle.........still beats replacing the transmission.
    Sounds like it may be joints related- thanks.
  • mlaniermlanier Member Posts: 23
    I had the same problem it turned out to be the front drive shaft. Again nissan knows of this problem and they are not reporting the problem to us the consumer. I took mine to Nissan dealer and they ran all the checks and found the front drive shaft was bad, luckily mine was warranty work.
    Good luck hope I helped.
  • jcthomas1jcthomas1 Member Posts: 3
    So add me to the list of '05 pathfinders whose radiator stopped blowing hot air. After a coolant flush, everything worked well for a botu 2 weeks until the tranny stopped downshifting, most noticeably once I reacher 40 miles per hour or faster, but it won't shift it's load at any speed. I am taking it to Nissan this afternoon. I hope they step up and take care of their problem. Any advice out there.. what to say- what not to say?
    edited March 2011
    the 2005 and 2006 had issues with the transmission fluid leaking into the radiator cooling lines then the transmission is destroyed and has to be replaced, this all started when Nissan change radiator vendors for those few years , unfortunately most people are stuck with a high bill out of pocket up to $5,000 ,there is another bad issue in the design in the intake swirl valve on top of the engine the v6 , the little brass screws come loose and get sucked into the engine and they destroy the engine ,if you have more than 60,000 miles you pay for a new engine. hope you have good luck ,it doesn't happen to all with the swirl valves, but the transmission issue it happens eventually at an unknown mileage .
  • jmcd07jmcd07 Member Posts: 1
    Well, I have a 2007 Nissan pathfinder which I bought brand new. This winter I would go out and start my vehicle and crank the heater to get the vehicle warm before I left. I eventually gave up on doing this because no matter how long I left it started it blew out cold air. As soon as I would put the car in gear and take off the heat would start working. This was very annoying but I just let it go. Now in the past week I have been having issues with the transmission. Hard vibration when gears are shifting and sometimes jerking hard when shifting. I read some blogs on line and it looks like it may be related. I never would have put the two together. Anyway, I have an appt scheduled next week at my nissan garage. I hope it's not the same problem everyone else is having. Btw, it only has 57,000 miles. Any suggestions?
    Make sure the dealer is "honest." They may try to put you off or recommend a different repair.
    Tell 'em you read several complaints on Edmunds. You want them to check the coolant for contamination. Also the trans fluid. You should be under the new Nissan extended warranty (80,00 mi) for radiator, which would also include the trans. Good luck.
    I brought my 2006 pathfinder 75,000 miles into the dealer 4 days ago and had them check the vibration-they said it was the drive shaft which I have to pay for ($525). I pressed them on the radiator/transmission issue and they checked the radiator which had tranny fluid in it.-they said they were only authorized to replace radiator- I requested the left over radiator fluid and at that time they called nissan and they agreeed to replace the transmission-they have put me in a rental car awaiting the new transmission.If you own A PATHFINDER take it in trouble or no trouble-the dealer service departments are looking for work and you may be surprised --good luck..
    Can we sue for this in small claims court? I am not giving up just yet. What is going on w/ the lawsuits? Anyone know?? I am not satisfied w/ the extended warranty because I was over the miles, SORRY NISSAN I DRIVE MY CAR! Yes, I drive, on highways...and go places and USE my car..but thats my fault right? Anyway. Argh..I would love to have that money returned to my bank account that I forked out while I STILL DONT HAVE WORK and didnt have work then either...and STILL LOOK FOR WORK..and am educated and a veteran! Im not whining, IM P$ss*d! Its total corrupt garbage.
  • jcthomas1jcthomas1 Member Posts: 3
    UPDATE:

So after taking it to the dealer, they infomred that the U-joint was siezing and causing the load not to transfer upon downshifting... $220 later, the problem is solved. I had just replaced a different U-joint several weeks prior but evidently the two were unrelated. Hopefully I didn't ruin any gears in the gear box or the rear diff. I guess in this case, I lucked out. I still have 7,000 miles until I hit 80,000 so I am holding my breath until then at which point, the car is getting traded. Good luck all.
    "Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding the problems you have experienced with your Nissan Pathfinder. I am writing to inform you that Lieff, Cabraser, Heimann & Bernstein, LLP (“LCHB”) is no longer investigating the problems associated with this product, and that we will not represent you in connection with this matter.

Our decision not to represent you does not indicate whether or not your case has merit. We encourage you to promptly consult other attorneys if you choose to pursue this matter. Please be advised that there are strict periods of time, referred to as statutes of limitations periods, within which a person must act to preserve their legal rights.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to review your potential claim"

Ok. So the attorney in Harrisburg, Pa said that if we have over 10 people who have had the same problem and can find an attorney for lawsuit, it will hold much stronger...the more the people the better.

All of you who have been reimbursed, good for you but there are those of us, like myself, who had the fuel pump replaced and my VIN wasnt included...and now the transmission and it was over the hideous extended warranty kind gesture Nissan issued.

So, on the manhunt for an attorney to represent. The Harrisburg attorney recommended an urban area, even Harrisburg not large enough for that sort of position...

I will not stop until I know all the avenues have been pressed. I am determined to receive back what I am owed.

Thanks!
    iF SOMEONE found an actual firm to take the case, then be happy and sign up!! Not all lawyers will take on big name corporation. EVEN IF YOU ARE COVERED NOW UNDER EXTENDED WARRANTY, PLEASE SIGN UP TO SHOW THE TREND IN VEHICLES. NISSAN WILL TRY TO INSIST ITS NATURAL WEAR AND TEAR BUT THE MORE PEOPLE WHO TELL ABOUT THEIR CAR PROBLEM,,,THE BETTER WE ARE PROVING IT. The more who sign on, the stronger the case, ...and we win the suit, and you dont provide your name, you will not get reimbursed!!

Mazie Slater Katz & Freeman, LLC,

http://www.transmission-lawsuit.com/?gclid=CPLH18OZj6UCFYIKKgodOgmxNA

Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2011
    I dunno, if you have a case you may be better off just going on your own. I think the courts are trying to cut back on "coupon" cases, but if you run the numbers, you may find out your potential recovery could be better not joining a class. Even going d-i-y in small claims court may be a better deal, if you have the time to go that route.

A case in which the only winners are lawyers (MSNBC)
  • coltonhcoltonh Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the list too. 2005 pathfinder--- repairs to my transmission $4500 same issues with the radiator/transmission. Of course they wont do anything for me. Nissan is goin down on this one. Good way to lose customers for life. Would like to see how many people have called them with the same issues. Can't believe how many posts are on here today alone around this matter.
    Ok Listen, Im not trying to be rude but please do not discourage anyone about this. I just spoke with a very affluent law firm in Harrisburg, Pa and he informed me the best route. He knew small claims wouldnt work because of the cost to hire an engineer to prove that the parts are faulty. He said Nissan lawyers will for sure defend themselves and say "wear and tear" because of mileage which is bogus but thats what they will claim. He said the MORE PEOPLE WITH THE PROBLEM ON THE LAWSUIT, THE STRONGER THE CASE. So Im not sure where you get the idea that any one person of us owners have a chance standing alone up against big business corporate Nissan. "coupon case" what are you talking about! this is very serious, costing thousands and thousands of dollars to consumers. I dont know who you are but maybe your big bucks can pay us all and settle it..since you want to discourage us from our "coupon case" we have.

Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2011
    I posted a news link with a story about class action suits and how plaintiffs often get little (like $500 coupons off the price of a new car). Especially compared to the plaintiffs' attorneys payday. It got so bad that the Congress passed the Class Action Fairness Act of 2005. There are plenty more stories out there about class action suits and the little benefit the consumer winds up with. Many lawyers offer free or cheap initial consultations - why not get a second and third opinion?

A class action suit might punish Nissan but you have to ask yourself what you are going to get out of it. It is a bit of a peeve of mine - I enrolled in the currency conversion credit card fee class action back in 2008 and it's still dragging on 3 years later, and they still have four (out of eleven) appeals to wade through.

One has to wonder how that Harrisburg PA firm got to be so affluent. ;)
    The attorney said just that...it could take years and if you are not on that list of "clients" you wont get anything from it. But what is there to lose? Ive already lost out oh...$5,000...oh probably more soon when I have to get my entire 2005 vehicle repainted. So 5 years from now..they say hey, HERES YOUR COUPON Id be more than happy to take that coupon. This attorney by no means was trying to snow me..why would he? Small claims court doesnt require an attorney...he wouldnt represent me there. I dont understand the backlash on this website to not pursue a lawsuit. Who cares if it takes 5 years...then it does! This is a huge consumer problem ethical... I know there is something out there that some damn witty lawyer can dig up. I wont give up. at all. Until all methods are used. Just because you may have had one undesirable outcome doesnt mean that you give up.
    "The procedure for filing a class action is to file suit with one or several named plaintiffs on behalf of a proposed class. The proposed class must consist of a group of individuals or business entities that have suffered a common injury or injuries. Typically these cases result from an action on the part of a business >>or a particular product defect <<<< or policy that applied to all proposed class members in a typical manner. After the complaint is filed, the plaintiff must file a motion to have the class certified. In some cases class certification may require discovery in order to determine its size and if the proposed class meets the standard for class certification."

"Typically, federal courts are thought to be more favorable for defendants, and state courts more favorable for plaintiffs. Many class action cases are filed initially in state court. The defendant will frequently try to remove the case to federal court. The Class Action Fairness Act of 2005[2] increases defendants' ability to remove state cases to federal court by giving federal courts original jurisdiction for all class actions with damages exceeding $5,000,000, exclusive of interest and cost"

Keep this out of federal court...state civil suit...preferably California.