Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• santonio1santonio1 Member Posts: 18
    I had 66k on mine and they replaced the radiator and transmission for no charge. It took 2 months to get the tranny and i drove it during that time and was very uneasy about that and never went more than back and forth to work or about 20 miles. I contacted Nissan and a Rep.there was in contact with Japan and the dealer and me..I got a rebuilt tranny from Japan and found out they were sending mine back to rebuild for someone elses Pathfinder.
  • lauracpalmerlauracpalmer Member Posts: 35
    After reading the above, and the message from the tech who appears to feel we are not justified in feeling ripped off due to what he says is the real problem (a flaw with the tranny) I am now concerned that the rebuilt tranny we waited for over 3 months for from Japan ($6000.00 later) might still have flaws. Is this never ending...

By the way, just last week our heater stopped working when the SUV was in idle, though worked while in motion. My hubby assumed it was due to the new radiator we also had to purchase with the tranny so went back to the Nissan tech who worked on our vehicle. He told my husband that it must be the thermostat and that it can't be the radiator work because the thermostat is located in the engine so "generously" offered to now work on our engine for us to get the heater working properly.

I did some research online and found many others going through the same, and it is related to the radiator and simply adding more fluid fixed the problem as the tech did not fill it properly ($6000.00 later).

So sick of being ripped off but that is ending; no more Nissan for us.
  • redbeard8redbeard8 Member Posts: 3
    I just traded my '07 Pathfinder in. Got spooked from all I've been reading in this forum. Had absolutely no problems with it yet. What a relief to be able to drive a new vehicle without worrying about a major malfunction possibley occuring. Nissan lost a dedicated return customer in me. Good luck to anyone having to deal with the b.s this company is putting them through. Nissan never again!
  • teamster79teamster79 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Pathfinder! I'm having the same issues with the transmission vibrating at 45mph. I now have 95,000 miles and have always serviced the car per the manual. I had a transmission flush, and radiator flush along with the 60,000 mile service. I had complained of the radiator being low on cooliant at around 75,000 miles when I had to fix the Fuel Gauge Sending Unit and then later finding out that it was on recall. The Service Department told me that the radiator had no leaks and I responded by asking "Then where is the cooliant going?", and the servise advisor tells me he didnt know. For the past few days my transmission began vibrating and a noise coming from the transmission housing. I called the dealership told him of the problem and he says to contact Nissan Customer Support, and see if they will pay for the damage. I then called another dealership and he tells me that the problem should have been diagnosed when I originally complained of the radiator problem. He said I needed a new transmission and radiator, so tomorrow I will have it diagnoised on paper per Nissan CS request and see what the outcome will be.
  • jbaumerjbaumer Member Posts: 8
    My Pathfinder has 117K miles, replaced the radiator at 80K miles on my own. Having the vibration at 45mph as well and took to an independent transmission shop. $1700, had work done on Transfer Case and UJoints were replaced.
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    its starting , get rid of it or get a quote from nissan to fix it :lemon:
  • tmboydtmboyd Member Posts: 1
    At least you made it to 104kmiles!! My '05 has never been in the shop, has 81k miles and it just became victim of NISSAN's radiator issues. $4200 and now what???? The car is worth 1/2 of what it's going to take me to fix the transmission. This is aburd and I hope enough people speak up to make Nissan liable! Transmissions just don't go out w/o warning!
  • abradachabradach Member Posts: 2
    i just found out my 05 pathfinder has the radiator, transmission problem after spending about $1000 on useless crap because the nissan dealership couldn't figure it out. Now i am expected to pay thousands of dollars to fix a defective radiator on a car with less than 90k that i bought one year ago? I am a marine, meaning i dont make much money and my wife is pregnant we are barely getting by now this has happened to our only vehicle. Can someone please tell us how we can join the lawsuit going on or get Nissan to pay for this!?
  • diyer121diyer121 Member Posts: 2
    If you're active duty, go to your JAG Legal Assistance office and see what they can do for you. Nissan only extended the warranty to 80,000 miles so you will be out of luck if going at them yourself. Also let your chain of command know so other Marines know not to buy Nissan vehicles effected by this defect. Good luck.
  • abradachabradach Member Posts: 2
    has anyone been able to fix this problem without having to buy a new transmission?
  • akiluviaakiluvia Member Posts: 7
    I fixed mine by flushing tranny and motor and got a new radiator. I haven't been having any problems for about a month+ now.
  • mountainfolkmountainfolk Member Posts: 1
    Don't be so sure! Not to be a bearer of bad news, but we did the same thing and the Pathfinder ran great for about 8 months. Guess where it is now. You got it! In the shop with a blown transmission! Of course they want over 5k to fix the problem. Searching around to all the transmission shops and they are all aware of the problem as they have had them coming in one right after another. Says they can't believe Nissan is not owning up to and addressing the problem. Guess they are enjoying all the money coming into the service department. This was our second Nissan. NEVER again! :mad:
  • jachaijachai Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Pathfinder LE, that I bought in November 2004, off of the showroom lot. I was made aware of this problem when my truck had about 80K miles on it. Search the internet, there is a simple swap of hoses to bypass the transmission cooler (which is redundant) inside the radiator. I now have over 165K on my truck and have not had a single problem (other than engine noise being a bit loud). It has been by far the best truck I have owned. I am off-road very frequently and have never had an issue, works great all the time, everytime. I feel bad for those that have such a sour taste in their mouth over this issue, but don't throw out the baby with the bath water. If you are to actually look at numbers, there are a small percentage of owners that are affected by this, and hundred of thousands of owners that are very pleased with their Pathfinder, as I am. All vehicles have issues... period. Ask any mechanic. Nissan Corp. could have done a better job stepping up to the plate earlier, I agree, but overall, they are probably no worse or better than the next maker.

Merry Christmas to all,

JL
    My pathfinder was my second Nissan. I will unload mine. I was pro-nissan. They just lost me.
  • ahsummer123ahsummer123 Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 Pathfinder was just diagnosed 2 days ago with the same radiator/transmission issue posted in this blog (I had it confirmed yesterday by Accurate Transmission). I was quoted a price of approximately $4,000 to replace the transmission and radiator system. I am waiting to hear back from Nissan as to how they are going to handle this problem (this is my 3rd Nissan vehicle in the last 14 years). I was never made aware of this problem so I never had the opportunity to do preventative maintenance on the vehicle to avoid this problem. Assuming Nissan is going to deny liability regarding this issue, how do I (and others) become a part of this suit?
  • luckyducluckyduc Member Posts: 17
    How many miles did you have on your 2006 pathfinder when it happened?
  • ahsummer123ahsummer123 Member Posts: 2
    My mileage on Wednesday was 117,586. My extended warranty (100,000 miles) expired in January when I hit 100,000. I bought the truck brand new in August 2006. Not one person at Nissan or my dealership ever told me that the 2006 Pathfinder could have this problem. Prior to purchasing this vehicle, I had 2 Nissan Altimas--LOVED THEM. Until 2 days ago, I never had a single problem with any of my Nissan vehicles. In fact, I raved about how great and reliable Nissan vehicles are. If someone had told me this could be a potential problem, I would have had the lines replaced at least once or twice already to make sure this problem did not occur. Now, it is too late to do anything other than replace the transmission and radiator system. Needless to say, I am one very unhappy Nissan customer.
  • unrelentingunrelenting Member Posts: 42
    Nissan has been very consistent to avoid potential lawsuits related to showing favorites. In other words, if less than 80K it is covered, more than 80K, forget it (standard factory warranty)...if you have an extended, they will cover evidently. One mile over either, forget it. Our lawsuit has been served. We are waiting a formal response from Nissan. This by no means a game. I am unrelentingly serious. What they have done to hundreds, if not 1000’s of customers is shameful, distrustful, and deceitful. I will focus on the later.
    never buy a nissan pathfinder year 2005-2007 , you will have a very high repair bill if it has over 60 thousand miles on it $5,000 or more , you are stuck .nissan wont make good for it .there will be a lot of them and only those years real cheap when word gets out LOL :lemon:
    those timing chains in nissans VQ35 V6 engines just love to wear out the te :sick: nsioners , -cost about $2,500 or more ,just giving the heads up .
    certain years pathfinder have a new recall the drivers side strut mount can rot or rust out causing an accident ,I recieved one for my 2003 just another heads up :mad:
  • bfly1bfly1 Member Posts: 1
    I added my name to a class action lawsuit out of NJ. Is there others I should add my name to?
    Thanks
    Not sure you can add to multiple 'class' suits. We are waiting upon the Nissan response to the suit and the Judges' decision on class status. One way or the other....this is going to come to a head. I cannot stand watching the Nissan 'Holiday' sales commercials knowing that these folks are liars and crooks in my opinion.
  • jetskinutjetskinut Member Posts: 1
    Just brought my 06 Pathfinder to my mechanic friend because these posts made me nervous. He said go ahead and change the radiator and then decide what you want to do. It has shown few signs of trouble in this arena but this week, there is a sign that fluid may have leaked. In addition, I did buy the extended warranty. I thought it was for an additional 3 years beyond the original. Well...no...it was only 2...so, not only did I pay an extra $1500 or so for only two years of warranty that was only used for a tow (my ins. co would have paid it anyway)...damn expensive tow. When it was towed, a pully on the belt was no good and the belt snapped...oh wait..."that's general maintenance". Now, the sending unit is bad in addition to a U-joint. Really Nissan??? At 90000 miles, all this goes wrong on a $35000.00 vehicle??? I am in the market for a new car and they could shove theirs between their cracks. I convinced my boss the buy an Armada the same year I bought my POS and convinced my brother to buy a new Nissan last year...after this they won't get my business or anyone with whom I come into contact. Their solution was they would give me a free diagnostic check to assure the problem. Dumbasses should see there is enough information out there about them and their vehicle issues that they don't need their ridiculously high price diagnostic equipment. They could have saved their $$$ buying this equipment and taken care of the consumer. I work for a large school district and the word will get out. I am also a big social network person, I workout at a gym, my family owns large businesses...people will know Nissan...the real Nissan!
  • mark0098mark0098 Member Posts: 2
    My wife's 2006 SE has a clicking noise coming from I think the transmission. It's been happening for a few months and has not gotten any worse, but, it seems ominous. From just driving and playing around, here is what I could conclude:

- Clicking sound comes from between feet for driver and passenger, about where the transmission is.
    - Clicking only comes when driving under 17-18 mph.
    - Clicking only happens when driving in 2WD mode. When in 4High, noise quits, when switched back to 2WD it comes back.
    - Clicking is not just one click, there are two maybe three clicks that happen in quick succession that make up one click.

I'm thinking a solenoid's not coming out when in 2WD since the rear wheels are driven in 2WD?

Thanks
  • toml1973toml1973 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2005 Nissan pathfinder LE 4x4 new in 2005. 72,000 miles. It has been a fairly good vehicle until recently, 1 month ago we noticed violent vibration at 55+, violent shifting as if AT couldn't decide which gear it should be in, and Banging when shifting gears. Looked on the net and found the most likely cause, coolent leaking into AT. And vise versa. Checked it and found it to be true in our case.
    Took the pathfinder to our local Nissan dealer, They replaced the radiator and flushed transmission. After we got the pathfinder back 3 days later we have noticed intermittent banging when shifting gears, usually when cold. Took it back to Nissan dealer. They had it for 2 days and claim they cannot reproduce the problem. I have called Nissan consumer affairs 7 times with no avail. left messages with Nissan regional manager in our area. Of course no return call.
    The dealership tells me that the light vibration they have noticed is due to worn Ujoint on AT output shaft, The vibration and other harse shifting problems all started 1 month ago with the coolant contamination in the AT.
    The dealership wants $300 to replace Ujoint, I bought at advanced Auto for $15. Will replace this weekend. What a coincedence Ujoint fails and coolant in AT at the same time. I believe they are full of S$&T. Probably the violent shifting helped fail the Ujoint, If that Ujoint is really what is causing the vibration. That still has nothing to do with the intermittent banging when shifting gears. Will I void any warranty with this issue by changing the Ujoint myself? Will not buy another Nissan after dealing with this kind of customer service. This sucks because I have always loved nissans. This is our third and last. Talked to a friend of mine that works at a local transmission shop, he couldn't believe that they won't due more than flush the transmission. He says the transmission has been compromised. So now the AT will completely fail right after it hits 80k or 96 months, Which ever comes first. Lmao, No really I'm not laughing. I'm not thrilled about my wife driving our girls any where with this BS problem. Our other issue is the fuel sending unit, About 2.5 years ago the fuel gauge started reading erratically when below half a tank of fuel, Right after that I saw where Nissan had claimed a defective fuel level sensor starting with 2006 pathfinders. So our 2005 would not be covered. For the past 2.5 years we have just made sure to keep the tank above half way filled. 1 month ago when I was researching the radiator/AT problem I found that Nissan had back dated the fuel level sensor problem to cover 2005 models up to 72k miles. If I would have known this sooner I would have taken it in before the 72k warranty ran out. Contacted Nissan consumer affairs. They do not give a S$&T. Never once have we received anything in the mail pertaining to the Nissan defects, because they never make them recalls like they should. I still receive recall mail for 2 cars I used to own years ago that are probably in a salvage yard by now.
    This is unbelievable to me from Nissan. KNOWN DEFECT should always be a recall.

Pissed Nissan Customer, Tom
  • mark0098mark0098 Member Posts: 2
    The dealership down the road diagnosed it as the front U-joints. RockAuto lists them at $15 each. Dealer wants $350...?

more than $300 for labor? How long does it take to do two U-joints? not 6 hours.
  • meg17meg17 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder used with only a few thousand miles on it. I have had it since early 2008 and have had no issues with the car. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a strange noise and vibration at about 40 mph and then again at 60 mph. I was having an oil change and they inspected, but could find no problems. I Googled the issue and came across this page and many, many more. I happened to know a mechanic and he told me to bring it in and he would take a peek. He tested the fluids and did not see full contamination yet, but saw a sheen on the surface. After a road test he confirmed it was a transmission issue. He called Nissan. Nissan said bring the car in immediately, so I did. That was yesterday.

Alex, the service advisor at Korum Nissan, was great from the start. She got the car in right away, told me about the issue, and assured me it would be okay. They confirmed it was a "transmission failure" and the radiator and transmission would need replacing. I had to leave the car over night and she said they would call Consumer Affairs in the morning to make the claim. My car had 83K on it, but they did not think this would be an issue because it was so close and a known problem. I called in the morning (today) to check and better than calling, the regional service manager was coming in and they could approve this repair. Well, they didn't! They denied my request! I was so upset I did not know what to do. The estimate was over $5000. I asked them about purchasing a new Pathfinder and trading this in only to be told that in this "condition" it is not worth enough to pay off my loan on the car! So my husband and I went to get the car and take it to the Toyota dealership which had already offered to trade it in in this "condition".

I went to get the car and was met by Alex and she insisted we talk to the service manager. Alex talked to him with us and was totally our advocate. As we talked I told him the case and that I love my Pathfinder. I have had no other problems and I am disgusted at this customer service. My car that had no problems a week ago now needs $5000 in repairs and not because of my poor driving or lack of maintenance! He told me he was going to bat for me and he would make some calls. That he did! He was on the phone for about 5 minutes and came out with good news.

My car is going to be repaired at no cost to me. A new transmission and radiator paid for by Nissan. The labor paid for by Korum Nissan (where I purchased the car). They gave me a loaner car for the duration of the repair as well. It is going to take up to two weeks because they have to wait for the parts to come in.

I am still amazed at this! Korum's customer service was outstanding. I was ready to throw in the towel and Alex did not give up. They have a customer for life!
  • santonio1santonio1 Member Posts: 18
    thats the u joint on the front driveshaft and it threw the magnets on the shaft so need to replace both..i think it costs me $600
  • calsmith33calsmith33 Member Posts: 1
    I have been noticing a vibration when my 2006 Pathfinder hits a small pump and i'm traveling greater than 30 mph. I also just realized that the oil pressure gauge is pegged above H. I checked all the fluids and the oil is fine but the coolant is the same nasty color as mentioned in previous posts and very low. I realize that I now have the mixing of the radiator and transmission fluids. My car still accelerates fine aside from the vibration. I want to replace the radiator and add the oil cooler to hoepfully keep from having to replace the tranny. Is it too late? I havent had it checked yet and am going tomorrow. I cant afford a new transmission right now and need this car for my job. if the fluids have mised is the transmission screwed no matter what? thanks!
    Many folks have simply added the cooler, disconnected the cooling lines thru the tranny, and flushed, flushed, and flushed. For the most part once the coolant gets into the tranny, the clutches absorb the fluid and swell. Over time, and I am afraid it is not a long time...you may very well begin to have big issues. Interestinglly enough....I had problems with the plastic portions of the cooling system (dual air control) from the tranny fluid getting into the cooling system. So, it can be a double edged sword. Those engineers were idiots. Best of luck......
  • mpadonmpadon Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for being so persistent. I have tried everything and received the worst customer treatment from Nissan Customer Service that I ever received from a company. Our vehicle was at 82,000 miles when the contamination occurred. Please keep me on your list. If there is anything I can do to assist, just let me know. As I made the point to them, I had never heard of this type of problem and there was nothing I could do maintenance wise to have prevented it. The 80,000 warranty on this problem seemed arbitrary and after the fact.
    There is nothing any of us that were unaware of the problem could have done to prevent it. That should be a major point of contention in that Nissan knew and never advised the problem....they just extended warranty as gift for our loyalty and never said why. That is fraud by deceit in its purest form. Do we have anyone from Texas posting their Nissan issues???
  • pathfinder2008pathfinder2008 Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2012
    From OHIO. 2008 Nissan Pathfinder 115K miles. Radiator ruptured causing fluids to mix in transmission. Result contamination of transmission and need of new transmission, new radiator and flush. Dealer quote near $6500 to fix and Corp. Nissan knew of faulty Radiator in which they extended the warranty to 80,000 miles. Problem is no notification to me of faulty part by Nissan Corporate or from Dealer where purchased vehicle or Dealer where vehicle has been routinely serviced.

Corporate regional representative said "I am sorry there is nothing we can do to assist you in the repair of your vehicle". Why I ask.. "because of the high mileage on your vehicle.

No type of offer to me at all.

Just to say: I had extended warranty which expired at 100K.

Servicing Dealer, provided cost of repair and "call Nissan back".
    You have been ripped off just like the rest of us. It happened on my 2005 on Nov last year. I bought a new radiator and flushed everything but tranny died after couple month. I took to AAMCO for a rebuild like 2 weeks ago. I paid about $4000. I am trying to keep it until wheels fall off, but indeed this is my last Nissan. I am not happy. I will shift my loyalty to Toyota/Lexus, BMW or Mercedes. I hear good things about them.
    wow 2008 , and the end year model was 2007 , maybe you got the last of the radiators that were bought from a new vendor for those bad years that were 05 -07 , any way join the club , there is a lawsuit pending with Petition to get this solved ,however its been around for 3 years now and nothing is happening . good luck I have a 2003 pathfinder and have heard if issues if the vehicle wasn't made in japan , the brass swirl valve screws fall into the engine and destroy it and Nissan wont pay for it either.
    Thanks for the information on the pending lawsuit. How/where do I find to read this information?

Just not right, 115K is the life of what I would have considered reputable company, an expensive vehicle for only 4 years old would you say!
    see post #925. I am from OHIO, 2008 Nissan Pathfinder Radiator/Transmission issue with no assist.
  • finztotheleftfinztotheleft Member Posts: 19
    Keeping using social media options to continue getting the word out on how much Nissan sucks and screws their customers. Thy are in the midst of new advertising about new models....nothing would be better than our helpful selves sharing our opinions.

On Twitter they are @nissannews and hash tags of #Nissan.
  • jkhicks1jkhicks1 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Same thing just happened to me last week. Use the link to submit a complaint. I am calling a lawyer about a lawsuit.

http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint

Here is a link for a class action lawsuit

http://www.transmission-lawsuit.com/
  • nish71nish71 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! Dallas, TX here. I just took my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder in last week (2/8) for a suspected transmission issue. My husband and I researched the night before prior to taking it in and saw all of these comments. We pretty much knew that the problem was this defect we all know about b/c my car was acting the exact same way as you all describe.

We took it to Courtesy Nissan in Richardson, TX where they repaired two other non-related recall issues and then promptly told us yes, something is wrong with the transmission, but they weren't sure exactly what. BS! We were told to call Nissan Customer Service. We called CS and told them what the dealership told us--no formal diagnostics, no quote, etc. Nissan CS assigned us to a "case manager" and asked us what exactly we wanted from Nissan. Of course we told our case manager we wanted Nissan to fix this issue! We were then told that someone would be in contact with us on 2/14 (the needed time to contact dealership, blah, blah).

Tuesday came and went, no phone call. We contacted our case manager on Wednesday afternoon and had to leave a voice mail. Fast forward to today, Thursday 2/16 and we have called our case manager twice today with no call back yet. I am not sure what else to do at this point. My car just sits up at the dealership with nothing being done to it at this point. I am trying to remain calm and not unload on them but at this point, that reality is getting close. :blush:
    So sorry to hear that. Nissan is requesting that our suit be thrown out of court. Their position, it is not their responsibility to ensure that a vehicle transmission will last. Kinda funny that they are willing to cover to 80K miles, but not a mile further. Guess they know that defective parts coupled with over pressures in the transmission due to faulty designs kills a transmission. It would cost them a fortune to cover the 100's of vehicles that have failed due to their desire to make a buck. They are trying to get the cases thrown out in CA, NY, TX, and Ohio. Funny that the failure rates in these vehicles are absolutely 'uncommon'. Best of luck...we are just down the road and around the corner from you...here in Texas. Let us know what happens. Be safe.
  • tlaudertlauder Member Posts: 1
    Gosh I hope I have the same luck as you ! I got the exact same diagnosis today by a friend who is a mechanic. 2008 Pathfinder LE. This is my 3rd Nissan and I take excellent care of it. I have 104,000 miles and it is in mint condition (otherwise). I called Nissan Customer Advocate today and then went to the dealer for an additional plug for help. We will see. I cannot imagine $5,000 for a transmission PLUS radiator PLUS a full flush of the cooling system seeing as the coolant and the transmission fluid have mixed and traveled throughout. Keeping fingers crossed. If I get a NO, I WILL go the local news and see if they would be interested in helping via one of their segments on 'On Your Side'. Gulp.
    I just purchased a new vehicle... not a Nissan because of this. Let me know what your local news comments are, as I have been considering the same. I was advised, my next step is Attorney General. I was also responded to by someone else from Edmunds.com that there is a lawsuit pending now for three years. I was told that if they pay for one person over the 80, 000 miles, they pay for all and that is why they will help no one or if you have extended warranty to 100,000 they will not assist 1 mile past. I will see if I can confirm the lawsuit, just don't know where to begin. Stay tuned for my post #925 for updates. Also see other peoples posts who responded to me of similar issues #926, #927 and #930 and there are others. Wouldn't you think it would be better for Nissan to recall and to pay for everyones radiator before the issue expands to the transmission. Hmmm.
  • bama70bama70 Member Posts: 2
    Could you please elaborate about how this could be done? I want to tell my mechanic about this preventive maintenance. I have a 2005 Pathfinder LE with 109,000 miles, but I'm afraid I'm driving a ticking time bomb. I want to get at least 5 more years out of my truck.
  • bama70bama70 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking into preventing this from happening on my 2005 Pathfinder. i am trying to understand more about what needs to be done. Are you saying take it to an independent transmission guy or mechanic and have the transmission hoses bypass the radiator, or swicth the radiator hoses? What specifically needs to be done so i can explain it to my mechanic? Thanks
  • rgvtexasrgvtexas Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. i took it to Bert Ogden Nissan in McAllen Texas & they told me i needed a new Transmission & quoted me over $4k for the part alone. My truck has over 110k miles & lately this yr ive been having problems. When i driving it, im pushing the gas & it like feels stuck, like as if im forcing it when i press the gas & the RPM levels goes up like im forcing it. i have to let go of the gas in order for the RPM to stay at a normal level. i have to do this on a daily basis. its getting worse. today its being checked at a transmission shop. i just hope its not a very big expense. Bert odgen told me that the part that was bad was the Solonoid? last month i had to replace the Gas Pump & that costs about $367 for the part. im just wondering if this is a similar problem everyone is having. I also been noticing that my A/C buttons are going bad as well the light stays on but the a/c only blows air & i know its not the a/c blower because i just changed that part a couple of months ago. Open to any suggestions or recommendations. I cant afford to pay thousands of dollars. im almost done paying for the truck and plan to keep it for awhile longer.
  • gharpmangharpman Member Posts: 88
    Nissan doesn't stand behind their vehicles. I had 2005 Pathfinder. Bad radiator and trans. There are defects. All they did was extend warranty to 80,000. I was lucky enough to get coverage after months of discussions with them. Your dealer sounds like a crook. If you had to pay for the whole job of trans and radiator, range is $5-7k. My advice--get rid of it. It's a money pit. Trade could get you $10kplus. I got a Hyundai Santa Fe--top of line model. Couldn't be happier. Nissan will NEVER SEE ME AGAIN.
  • rickl5324rickl5324 Member Posts: 1
    The best way to prevent this from happening is to simply replace the radiator. You should be able to do that for less than $300. But, if you have less than 80000 miles on the truck, and you replace it with an aftermarket radiator, you'll void that warranty. You might want to save the old radiator in case Nissan has to fix this problem for their owners.

Directions to have your transmission lines bypass the radiator can be found at CLUBFRONTIER.ORG. Good website.
  • 1mad05pfowner1mad05pfowner Member Posts: 1
    Please do not buy this vehicle. I recently purchased an 05 Nissan Pathfinder and within 90 days, I was having the transmission and radiator replaced. this is the second time within 90 days I have had to call roadside assistance while in this vehicle. The first problem seems to be with the fuel level sensor. When the gas tank gets between the 1/2 and 1/4 mark, it just suddenly drops to empty. I called Nissan about this problem and they told me there was nothing they could help me with and that the previous owners had opted for the extended warranty instead of getting it fixed. Next I inquired about the apparent transmission problems I was having with the vehicle and they acted as if they never heard anything about it. I too have a Nissan Pathfinder that will ramp up the rpms adn loose power, you have to take your foot off of teh gas and let the rpms return to normal before you can accelerate again. While waiting for something from Nissan, my vehicle once again leaves me on the side of teh road and I have to walk 2 miles on a wooded, coyote filled country road with my 5 year old - in the dark. Now Nissan says no help here either. Of course I am happy having to spend hundreds in towing during the last 90 days and several thousand for a new radiator and transmission, while making payments. I can not wait to get rid of this POS and get a honda or a toyota. I am a farmer so I need a vehicle with good towing capacity, reliable, can handle my family needs as well - the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder is not it!