Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• ncccnccc Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Hello everyone!

We just wanted to pop in and let you know that we've been hearing all of your complaints about the radiator issue. If you are not aware, we are the North Carolina Consumers Council have filed an official defect petition for this failure through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration asking for a full recall and redress to everyone who has suffered these damages.

Anyone interested in reading our website article on the issue can do so. We encourage everyone experiencing this issue to continue reporting your problems to NHTSA. Thanks everyone and hang in there!!!

NCCC Petitions NHTSA for Nissan Transmission Oil Cooler Defect - Claims Defect Can Cause Repeat Catastrophic Transmission Failure
  • nissan07pathnissan07path Member Posts: 10
    Hello,
    I am a owner of a 2007 pathfinder.Like most of you I have transmission problems. I Took it to get diagnosed and results were confirmed that radiator directly correlates to transmission failures. Another problem was that the timing chain housing has deteriorated, is this a problem that you have experienced also? And recently my vehicle lost acceleration overall therefore it is out of service. I have filed an investigation with Nissan Corp and the regional director has yet to contact me. I have contacted a law firm, http://www.lieffcabraser.com/home/, that deals with "Defective Products." I am a college student and DO NOT have the expenses to afford an Nissan estimated $10,000 to fix all these problems. Nor can I afford to go to a third party garage. Does anyone have any more input as to what I should do?
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    Also you can add that there is a bulletin on the swerl valve screws in th upper manifold on the Nissan VQ35 engine , the screws come loose and fall into the cylinders and destroy the engine.
    the Nissan pathfinder and infinity strut tower recall is in the safety recall section , just goggle it
    when the strut tower rusts out Youu an loose control and crash, Nissan will inspect it and replace the rusted section free of charge.
  • pathfinder2008pathfinder2008 Member Posts: 16
    Wonder if we should all contact our local news channel. Also I filed a report with Attorney General - Ohio.

What wil get Nissan's attention!
  • gharpmangharpman Member Posts: 88
    The best thing you can do to get Nissan's attention, is NEVER BUY ANOTHER NISSAN. The dealer I dealt with was exc, but Nissan does not stand behind their product. I got a Hyundai Santa Fe. It's exc.
    Thank You. Good Luck. Keep us posted. I was previously told there was a lawsuit pending but was unsuccessful in finding information.
    I also will NEVER go back to Nissan and have shared my story with co-worlers, family and friends whom I am sure will share with people they know that may have a Nissan. I also recently purchased a Hyundai.
  • unrelentingunrelenting Member Posts: 42
    There is an effort in the background to combine the case in NY, along with the one from CA into a single case that is positioned to placed in a Texas court. What is really needed is evidence that the failure of the transmission due to cross contamination is a safety issue. And, if anyone got Nissan USA (North America) to cover the problem above the 80,000 limitation, that would be good also. The coverage by a dealer is not important. There have been stories where parts were sold by Nissan at cost and dealer provided the labor at no cost to loyal customers...and vice versa. What is not clear is whether Nissan USA completly covered the problem above 80,000 miles without an extended warranty coverage.
  • h20inmytransh20inmytrans Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, I think the safety point has to be made. Did you know that a broken fuel guage is a safety issue? It's a safety issue because you could stall your car on the road. I see no difference to a stall due to a faulty transmission. I stalled (stall means trans slipped so bad that the car would not move) on a steep grade 2-lane highway in the worst possible spot - there was absolutely no where for me to go. I had to slowly back down the hill to get to a shoulder where I could safely get out of my vehicle and off the road. It's likely true that Nissan has covering some customers past the 80k miles. I was originally promised by one Nissan rep that they would replace my out of warranty transmission and radiator - they called it their "Good Will" promise. Then they suddenly diverted me to a different Nissan Consumer Affairs rep and they retracted their promise without explanation and the new guy pretended he didn't know anything about their "Good Will" promise. I have since paid the $6,000 to get a new transmission and radiator...the dealer felt really bad about it and said he couldn't believe Nissan would not cover this defect. He said their decision had negatively impacted his dealership. I have told so many people about Nissan and can personally be credited with turning several would-be Nissan buyers to something else :) It's all I can do at this point - I've filed with the NTHSB, the CA State Attorney Generals office, Better Business Bureau, Wrote to Nissan Consumer Affairs, Posted on blogs, sent a letter to the Class Action Suit and tell everyone who is willing to listen.
  • btollisonbtollison Member Posts: 1
    Please help me! I just bought a new 2012 Silver Edition Path Finder ... yes, brand new. But, after reading all this, I have to ask -- "Am I destined to have a bad transmission and radiator... and other problems?" A.K.A. -- Does it happen to everyone? Is there anything I should do NOW and along the way to prevent it? I did buy an extended warranty so maybe that will give me some added protection, huh? I love the PF SUV a lot, but this makes me upset.

PLEASE let me know. Come on NISSAN, what is your stinking problem? Makes me want to drive the SUV back to the dealer and drive it through the Showroom window and tell them to stick it and give me 110%of my $$$ back., Of course they would not. Too bad, huh?
    chances are you vehicle will be fine
    just enjoy it
    That certainly sounds like a safety issue. On mine, the electronic cable from the transmission to the main computer shorted out due to the water in the transmission. That is a safety issue also.... I did make one mistake on my prior posting, the suits are being combined to be played out in NY vs Texas. As far as the posting about the 2012 model....as I understand the defective part and design was changed after (or midway) in the 2010 PF.
  • mrtheo1mrtheo1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 SE 4x2, 78,000 miles. Took it in on 3/14/2012 for 75k service and learned that Nissan has a recall for the radiator/transmission coolant leaking into the trans and Nissan is taking care of it....I recall something about the extension of orig warranty for this part to be 8 yrs and I don't remember the mileage cap...
  • akiluviaakiluvia Member Posts: 7
    Nissan extended warranty to 80K. There is no recall in regards to radiator/transmission that I am aware of because everyone on this blog are dying for it. Recalls especally due to safety typically do not expire. In this case radiator/transmission is a safety issue because your vehicle can stall at any speed.
  • dlavitadlavita Member Posts: 3
    Started vibration when travel at speeds 45-60mph. When foot is off gas pedal it disapears. Started at 83,000 miles. What is it? Anyone have this problem. What if any is the remedy.
  • barb_715barb_715 Member Posts: 4
    probably the transmission...like everyone else. Remedy=GET RID OF IT and DON'T get another one!
  • luckyducluckyduc Member Posts: 17
    The vibration that you are describing is most likely a bad U-joint.
    Water damage to the paper cluthes (yep paper) due to cross contaminaiton. Check your radiator, if there is an oily sheen in the surface under the cap...(check when the car is cool...DO NOT CHECK WHEN UNDER PRESSURE AND HOT!!) then quite possibly the radiatior line into the transmission has broken (allowing the cross contamination of the transmission fluid and the radiator coolant). The overdrive paper clutches are the 1st to show indication of the problem. It often feels like it's coming from the rear end...but it's not. Another way to check...when the vibration starts, depress the AT? on the gear lever (this keeps the transmission from going into overdrive), if the vibration stops when you press the button...chances are...the problem is coming from the tranmission. Good luck! If it is the transmission....come join our law suit...!! All are welcome!
  • joebanjoeban Member Posts: 1
    I have a Pathfinder 2006 with 110,000 miles. My transmission started making noises and problem shifting. took it to a mechinic for a quick check and verification and find out the radiator has leaked to the transmission. Since I have 110000 miles on the SUV there is no way Nissan will fix a defect that they engineered. Shame on Nissan. That will be the last car I ever buy from them.
    You cant be careful enough, especially after reading all the posts, make a decision. I too had the extended warranty (WAS my peace of mind) which expired not too long before problem occurred and there I sat.
  • fivecents1fivecents1 Member Posts: 1
    You've got a dealer who was not truthful with you. I've has a 2005 since new & fortunately bought an exteded warranty or else I'd be posting here with problems that were fixed by the extened warranty. #1 Nissan had radiator problems leaking antifreeze into the transmissions & finally in 2009 started replacing the radiators if you had less than 80K on your vehicle. #2 fule gauge problems are the result of the fuel sensor being unarmored in the rear fender well causing the unit to short out. #3 tire shake (and this is a bad one) mine developed at 55K & vehicle was dangerous to drive because the front end shook so bad. Its the front axle assembly for the 4 wheel drive & they replaced both axles. Fortunately all the above was covered by the xtended warranty I purchased for a whopping $1,695, but actually worth it because without it I would be out 7K in repair bills. Within a month I am purchasing another extended warranty because original 6 year extended will expire & I don't trust this vehicle on bit. Wife only puts 10K a year on it so its only in the mid 70s as far as mileage goes. I'd never buy another one I can tell you that namely because Nissan does not have recalls unless absolutely forced to by NHTSA & even then they only honor recalls on vehicles under 80K miles. You can find all these problems on line to verify what I am saying.
    Yes, more than likely you will have problems with your 2012 Pathfinder. If it's not the transmission it will likely be something else major like the engine. It's too bad that Nissan has become just another greedy corporation. The thing that Nissan has going for it is that they can make some attractive looking vehicles but the quality is terrible!! IF YOU BUY A NISSAN, a good RULE OF THUMB: The COST OF OWNING VEHICLE 1-2 YEARS AFTER WARRANTY=ORIGINAL COST OF VEHICLE. Keep the vehicle while under warranty if you don't mind bringing your vehicle into the repair shop often and you don't mind being stranded somewhere when it breaks. Unload it just before the Warranty expires. I wouldn't even do the extended warranty because they typically exclude many of the things that can and probably will go wrong with this vehicle.
    Your radiator is leaking coolant into the transmission. The first symptom is exactly what you describe. Another dead give-away is that Nissan extended the radiator only to 80k miles because they know that nearly all will fail after 80k miles. Try driving in 4th gear (no over-drive). You will see the problem go away for a little while until the damage gets worse and then you will loose 4th gear. Draining and changing the transmission fluid will not help. I actually bypassed the radiator with the tranmission lines to stop the coolant from entering the transmission. I also ran many, many gallons of clean trans fluid through the transmission and even installed an aftermarket transmission fluid filter....all of this
    I actually had some damage to plastic parts in my cooling system when the transmission fluid invaded the radiator. The plastic parts were the ones that on the fire wall that send the fluid into the heaeting system.
  • pathreepathree Member Posts: 1
    I'd report this issue (Nissan) to the Better Business Bureau at:

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/ComplaintRedirect.aspx?military=1
    I am beyond BBB...in fact...I am one of the lead plantiffs in the class action...I am unrelenting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • angryowner05angryowner05 Member Posts: 1
    Please sign me up for the lawsuit.Just started experiencing the exact same problems that everyone mentions here. First noticed that I was leaking radiator fluid from the rear passenger side of the vehicle.Then came the vibrations at 45-60 MPH. Having issues now with the fuel gage. I checked the tranny fluid and it seemed fine, but I know this problem is what I have.Any advice on repairing on a limited budget. Need vehicle for job, not much money to repair. Would having the transmission rebuilt and fix the leak solve the problem?
    Thanks to everyone who posted.
  • alisonlalisonl Member Posts: 30
    Sorry to hear of your vehicle, this has gotten so bad now that if I am at a red light beside a pathfinder, I will put my window down and ask them if they had their vehicle checked. its terrible!!! My fuel gauge went out at 50,000 and its VIN is not on its recall for that..so I am down thousands of dollars for that and the tranny...

CALL THE HIGHWAY SAFETY ADMINISTRATION AND REPORT THESE PROBLEMS!!!! the fuel gauge IS a Safety issue because one minute you have gas the next you do not know..if you are alone, at night, on a highway....this could be a problem. Also, my digital reader went haywire w/ the fuel gauge causing me not know when I should change my oil.
    The transmission, although we arent crashing our cars, downshifting in traffic is not cool. Its a hazard.

THE HIGHWAY SAFETY ADMINISTRATION INITIATES investigations and RECALLS!!!

CALL YOUR STATE CONSUMER AFFAIRS AND DISTRICT ATTORNEY. Make a complaint with them because they must contact nissan and raise the complaint to a mediator. My mediator called me from Nissan (after I put in for the state of Pa) and she tried to accuse me of not understanding the warranty. I hung up on her. I said keep your negotiation tactics, I will get my money back for this, your company is a fraud and your working unethically in your position right now and its disgusting!

So, carry on with this!! do not give up! we are out thousands of dollars as consumers and its truly sick and corporate hedge hogging.
    You have to sign yourself up. Federal judge is combining the NY, CA, and TX lawsuits. Contact either Mark for the NY suit (highly advertised) or Jason at the Sheena Law Group in Houston. I am with Jason.....
  • clarenciaclarencia Member Posts: 5
    I am one of the lead plaintiffs in the NY case. Contact Gary Graifman at ggraifman@kgglaw.com or rperlmutter@kgglaw.com

The prior reply is correct. The case is in the courts now with a motion to connect the states involved. I believe it should be ruled upon soon. The more people, the better!
  • kt2007kt2007 Member Posts: 1
    I just emailed the lawyer above at KGG in regards to my 2007 Pathfinder. Had the same issue and needed a new radiator and tranny which Nissan did cover, however they made me pay a deductible and charged me for a loaner. I got off relatively easy I guess compared to others but still, Nissan isn't being helpful about any of this!! I would like to join the suit if possible.

Also had an issue with 2005 Pathfinder and a defected gas tank which caused me to break down 3 x's before Nissan did anything about it. Both these defects are safety issues!!
    The leads should stick together....we are the Texas leads.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think owners would be better off going it alone with their own individual case. In a class action, the lead plaintiff(s) may do okay but everyone else will likely just a coupon for $500 off a new car.

For example:

A case in which the only winners are lawyers (MSNBC)

Honda sued over mileage in small claims court = (MSNBC)

Lemon lawyers are a dime a dozen and many will evaluate your case for free. You could wind up with a lot better deal than waiting around many years for a class action suit to come to some conclusion.
    What exactly was your issue with the radiator and how many miles were on your vehicle?
    i just responded to an auto reply from someone who posted on Edmunds.com the following attorney email addresses at Gary Graifman at ggraifmankgglaw.com and rperlmutterkgglaw.com

The following was the email I sent.

I live in Ohio and have had the following issue with my Nissan Pathfinder and it is posted on www.edmunds.com

#925 of 977 Re: Radiator leaking into Transmission [ahsummer123] by pathfinder2008
    Feb 12, 2012 (8:05 pm)

Replying to: ahsummer123 (Dec 23, 2011 1:09 pm)

From OHIO. 2008 Nissan Pathfinder 115K miles. Radiator ruptured causing fluids to mix in transmission. Result contamination of transmission and need of new transmission, new radiator and flush. Dealer quote near $6500 to fix and Corp. Nissan knew of faulty Radiator in which they extended the warranty to 80,000 miles. Problem is no notification to me of faulty part by Nissan Corporate or from Dealer where purchased vehicle or Dealer where vehicle has been routinely serviced.

Corporate regional representative said "I am sorry there is nothing we can do to assist you in the repair of your vehicle". Why I ask.. "because of the high mileage on your vehicle.

No type of offer to me at all.

Just to say: I had extended warranty which expired at 100K.

Servicing Dealer, provided cost of repair and "call Nissan back".

Thank You,
  • wombatmattywombatmatty Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

As many of you know, the North Carolina Consumers Council (NCCC) is working with the NHTSA on a defect petition for these vehicles and the radiator issue. http://NCconsumer.org/Nissan%20Frontier%20Pathfinder%20Xterra%20oil%20cooler%20t- ransmission%20defect.html

Does anyone have photos of any failed part or personal stories they would like to share with us?

Please feel free to look us up and share your information to help us push through for a national recall on this issue.

Your friends at NCCC
  • lauracpalmerlauracpalmer Member Posts: 35
    We will definately add ours as it was a safety issue and thank goodness my husband is a good driver or could have been a mess. I will connect with both NHTSA and the NCCC.
  • brownjen8brownjen8 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    I have a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. I too have the same problem with radiator & transmission. I called Nissan and they will not help me because I have 103,000 miles on it. The lady I talked to was Jacenta (sp) and she told me that I did have 103,000 miles on it so they couldn't help me and hung up on me. Obviously Nissan feels that a transmission should only last 80,000 miles and if their faulty m...echanics cause antifreeze to ruin your transmission they should not be held responsible. I wonder if any CEO of Nissan would take a gallon of antifreeze and dump into their transmission? That is exactly what Nissan is doing and it usually happens around the 100,000 mark from what I hear. We consumers pay good money for Nissans and then they will not own up to their mistakes and their customer service is terrible. I suggest to anyone and everyone: DO NOT BUY A NISSAN. A few websites to visit. And please google about Nissan, you will find their customer service is rated very low and the automobiles have many troubles, not to mention their tasteless choice of advertising with the motorcycle massacre.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f177b6c?displayRecent

http://www.change.org/petitions/nissan-boycott-nissan-radiator-transmission-defe- - cts-xterra-2005-2007

See More
    File a Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
    www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov
    We are The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), an office within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). ODI conducts defect investigations and administers safety recalls to support the NHTSA's mission to improve safety on our Nation's roadways...
    Well, I know a Jen Brown in northeast Texas...hope that is not you. But, anyway...you get to join the ranks of 100's of Pathfinder, Frontier, and Exxtera owners with the exact problem. As I understand, Nissan continued the same faulty installation thru the 2010 model year. There have been 2007, 08s, and 09s who have reported the same problem. The issue began with the 2005 year. Ours is a 2006 model Pathfinder. If you are in Texas, we have a suit that has been combined with the suits from Ca and Ny. It is being scheduled to be heard in Ny soon.
  • onlycheleonlychele Member Posts: 1
    2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Transmission started slipping going around corners. Then I got off highway, (myself and 5 kids!! and it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. I parked at the business there off highway. I needed to go into and when I came out there was this pink mixture on the ground, thick. No one would believe me that it came from my truck. My husband said I "just happened to park over top of where someone dropped their ice cream cone, and it was melting". I took a picture of mixture that leaked out, had truck towed to Nissan dealer. They came back with $6000 for new radiator and transmission! Coolant from radiator had gotten into transmission and ruined, but not into engine thankfully! Had hubby call Nissan Customer Relations. First lady listened to whole story said she'd pass it along, Shane called, then a lady called and said because we didn't buy the extended warranty they would not offer us any "financial help" as ours has 106,000. I feel I shouldn't have to buy a warranty if they install, and have knowledge that the parts are faulty and will destroy the transmission. They admitted "fault" when then extended the warranty to 80,000. However, a lot..or most? Are experiencing after 100,000 miles. I can't afford to fix. I can't have a $400/mo truck pymt on a truck that's not running. I am going to let them repo it. I have no choice. I hate Nissan.
  • luckyducluckyduc Member Posts: 17
    That is right! Punish Nissan by telling family and friends about this. It may take several years before Nissan feels the result from their lack of corporate "Good Will", but they will feel it with future sales... Especially in this world of connected Social media. Things go viral very quickly these days.
  • byebyenissanbyebyenissan Member Posts: 1
    I had the same leaking radiator problem like everyone else with our 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The vehicle was 2000 km over the extended warranty limit. We would bring the vehicle to Nissan dealership if we were made aware of the defect sooner. We asked Nissan for assistance. After many phone calls, emails, time spent collect past maintenance record requested by Nissan Canada and months of waiting, we finally got a reply. Below is my response to their reply.

"Thank you [Nissan Customer Service rep] for passing the news that Nissan would not do anything for our loss and their defective automobile, and for wasting our time. I can assure you we will spread our words about the quality of Nissan vehicle, so less people will experience what we have experienced. I am happy to report that after this incident we have traded in our Nissan for a Toyota which we have been very happy with, and my dad has sold his Nissan for a Lexus. Even though the resale Nissan worths less than other vehicle of similar type and age, it's wonderful to got rid of our headache and future headaches. I will look forward to the day Nissan disappear from this world.
    Best of luck to all of you working for Nissan."

We traded in the Nissan after replaced the radiator. Transmission was still working at the time, but we didn't want to take a chance of keeping a time bomb. The problem is well known among dealships of other car makers, so we got only $8000 for the trade in, but this is better than having to pay $5000 later on repairs. We had so many problems with this vehicle since we purchased it new from a dealership - noises, signal problem, gauge problem, etc. - and spent a lot of money fixing them including getting scammed by dealership (asked to pay for an item under warranty). What we experienced with Nissan is bad vehicle, bad service and ignorance.

This is our one time experience with Nissan. Lesson learnt.
  • nissan666nissan666 Member Posts: 1
    Having the same issues as everyone else with the transmission. My Pathfinder is currently in the shop (broke down on side of the road out of state and almost killed crossing intersection) and I am waiting for a reply from "Ramon" at Nissan. I don't have the greatest feeling they are going to do anything to help, I have 85k miles and out of that ridiculous extended warranty; "unrelenting"....how is you pathfinder after you fixed the transmission?
    I see by your reference name you either really view Nissan the same way the 'Waterboy' referred to his momma's favorite comment...or just took the next number above 665. I am thinking the 1st.... Our transmission took a little tweaking primarily associated with the overdrive gears shuddering during transition to OD. I have a very good service person, who has now done 5 with the same problem in a town of only 35,000 and several transmission shops. Nissan has created a gold mine for transmission specialists due to their desire to make a buck then turn down all requests over 80K for customers who would quiet assuredly would not have bought a Nissan if they would have known that the transmission would die after 80K. I am going to continue to be a good plaintiff by not using the work suck in a sentence related to Nissan.
  • kedohertykedoherty Member Posts: 2
    So we just bought a (new to us) 2007 Pathfinder and have now found out about this. It is I believe showing signs of this now at 80,000 some miles. I am planning to contact the dealer we got it from but am totally freaking out. Any advice? I'm in NJ any cases here about this?
  • gharpmangharpman Member Posts: 88
    I'm from Northern NJ. Had my bout with Nissan. In the end, after about 7 months of intense calls etc., they covered the repairs. My 2005 Pathfinder had only 38,000 mi at the time. They don't stand behind their customers, unless its having them bend over first. I wound up trading in the Pathfinder for a Hyundai Sante Fe (Top of The Line). Best move I made. I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER NISSAN ANYTHING AGAIN. If you can, return the Pathfinder citing that the Dealer should have known about the problem and didn't make you aware. It's a widespread issue. Dealers were alerted to a warranty extension to 80k MI. I'd really try to get my $$ back--and get a Santa Fe.
  • kedohertykedoherty Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I'm also Northern NJ. I have contacted the dealer and taking the car in the morning we'll see what happens. We also have a Nissan Frontier that we totally love and have nothing but awesome luck with so we were so shocked when we found this info. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • bimmer007bimmer007 Member Posts: 1
    As read thru this post and other similar incidents with the Nissan transmission issues, I realized my problem with nissian was not isolated. I was a proud owner of a 2006 nissan pathfinder until the transmission gave way because of some faulty relation to the radiator. i went ahead and replaced the radiator and transmision last year April. today, May 8th, I am shopping around for another transmission to get the vehicle moving again, because it stopped on the highway with me today. I will NEVER buy another Nissan again. Poor customer service, warranty is a joke and nothing seems to be their fault. I am done at this point in time, just trying to get it in a driving condition to trade in/sell this nightmare. My truck is over 100,000 miles now, body is in great condition, but the mechanics of it really sucks!! Nissan Pathfinder is not what its hyped up to be. stay away!!!!