Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

'90 TC - How much is the engine worth?

krigganskriggans Member Posts: 2
I have a 1990 Lincoln TownCar & live in California. My T.C. has 146k miles on it. I was able to sell the trans on Craigslist & now I'm trying to find a junkyard/salvage lot that'll buy the engine. One offered me $200, & that seems kind of low to me. How much do you think the engine is worth?

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Believe the 302 engine started out in the early 60's as a 260, then 289, then 302, and so on. Considering the thousands of Windsor and Cleveland engines out there,including marine conversions, $200 is probably a fair price.
  • krigganskriggans Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input!
  • hankc2hankc2 Member Posts: 2
    My 93 TC runs great .Has 184K miles, but is in good shape. A mechanic bud replaced the Alternator yesterday ( bearings shot), now car stalls, and idles unevenly..FYI, had to drive car about 7 miles presumably off batt. power before alt. replaced. Do I need to re-set something to get car to run smoothly again ?
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    You should not have to do any special re-programing to get the car to run properly. Is the mechanic sure that he properly reconnected all the components that were disturbed during the replacement of the altenator? This is a new altenator but is it the correct altenator and is it producing the proper electrical power output?
  • hankc2hankc2 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for the reply.. I feel pretty sure about proper reconnections ....but You mentioned the proper alternator ...and now I am wondering if that is the case ...It is made by Visteon ..could it be that the parts house he had it delivered from brought the wrong one ? Do you know of a way I could check ( AMPS.output or alternator model # etc.?) Any additional help would truly be appreciated !!
  • LincolniteLadyLincolniteLady Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I might be a bit too late with this; but,

the 1990 Lincoln Town Car just happened to have the WINDSOR motor.
    Yes, this is a 302 V-8 but most importantly it is a Windsor. The Windsor was only used in Town Cars in 1990.
    I have a 1990 Town Car, it has 249,659 miles on it and still runs strong it does not burn or leak oil at all between oil changes.
    Memory says in 1980 the TC had the 302 as their standard engine,however, only in that year was the 351 optional. I owned the 1980 351 until it was totaled in a parking lot crash. It was replaced with a 1982 TC with the 302 engine which was the only available engine up & including 1990 and 1990 was the last year for the 302. 1991 was the first year for the TC to have the 4.6 engine.
  • kildrumkildrum Member Posts: 1
    zero rust tolerance
    Recommend the 4.6L V8 found in the 91 & on TC's. The 302 in the 90 is a good engine for powering Mustangs of that era, but not the 4200 lb cars.