Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Motor Oil and Filter Changes

ljp6ljp6 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Acura
Please someone give me the amount of oil that I should place into my 2004 Acura MDX with an oil filter change as well. I am batting zero on my other questions on the Nav section. I hope I get a response back on this one.
Thank you
Merry Christmas
Lou

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's pretty basic info that should be in your owner's manual. Every car I've owned has had oil quantities listed in the manual with and without a filter change.

If you don't have a manual, you can read one online via this link:

Where To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online

The NAV question is harder - usually there's a separate manual for operating that, and I don't know if those manuals are online. Try the Acura MDX Navigation System Questions discussion for specific questions about your nav.

Happy holidays to you too!
  • ljp6ljp6 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you--Just the information I needed. I mentioned on my other questions that I had no manual. I am promised one but as yet have not received it--so your info was very helpful.
    All the bells and whistels are new to me and I'm flying by wire to get to learn how to use all the gadgets on my 04 MDX w/ touring pkg.

Many thanks
    Lou
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    My 2001 MDX 3.5L V6 takes exactly 5.0 quarts of oil during a change with filter change.

The 2004 engine is still 3.5L but was tuned differently to increase horsepower. I don't believe the oil sump volume was changed. Anyway, looks like folks are adding 4.5 quarts during changes of the 2004 MDX oil.

Perhaps some other on-line manual sites can tell you. :D
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    You could look at the dipstick. :) Just buy 5 quarts,drain the old oil and change the filter,put in 4.5 , start it up for couple minutes. Turn it off and let the oil settle for 10 minutes. Check the dipstick and add accordingly to,but not above, the top mark on the stick.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Had to run out to the car to get the manual.... oil change capacity including filter is 4.5 qt. Also, recommended oil: API Premium Grade 5w-20 detergent oil. Anything else?
  • ljp6ljp6 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the information. I have a lot of questions but I am going to wait until I get the manual the dealer promised me. I just started playing with the voice command function---didn't know it was available.
    Having fun
    thanks a buch.
    Lou
  • brahda808brahda808 Member Posts: 25
    I got an 08 MDX. Is it worth the extra money to run synthetic oil? Or can I get away with the old dinosaur oil? I intend to change my oil and filter on time.
    Worth it. How long do plan on keeping it?
    This issue has been discussed ad nauseum as well.

I, too, run synthetic in all my vehicles. Probably due to the perception that "synthetic is better" or at least that's what the Mobil 1 commercials tell us.

That being said, I really wonder if there is any benefit if you change your oil every 3-4 thousand miles religiously?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'd use dead dino in it and change it at the factory recommended interval (indicator light in an Acura, right?). I'd hope that interval is pushing 10,000 miles. Only Toyota of the majors is holding at a 5,000 mile interval and they have a sludge/gel reputation to deal with. USA Today. Waste of good oil otherwise.

Are oil changes every 3,000 miles really needed?
    My '04 MDX's manual says 7500mi with of course Honda oil.

My '07 MDX "reminds" you when its time.

I haven't even looked in the GTI's manual, it only has 1300mi on it, but actually that is another good question:

Should the oil be replaced regardless of mileage based on time? The GTI is now 5 months old w/ the same oil.
    I hope to keep this vehicle forever or at least close to forever. Manual states to change everytime the indicator tells so. If I do that and use a good dino oil, will it do the trick or should I use synthetic?
    My experience (last two vehicles over 15yrs and 225,000 mi on each) is:

If you change at OEM recommended times (7500mi./1yr on the MDX) under "normal driving conditions", I would use full synthetic because it includes certain branched carbon molecules that display better viscosity/lubrication and are not found in petroleum-based oil.

If you change at the OEM recommended times (3750mi./6 mon. on the MDX) under "hard driving conditions", I think you would be okay with a quality brand of petroleum-based oil (The API rating # is key to quality). As long as you are not towing alot or driving at over 110 degF alot or under dusty conditions alot.

The Maintenance Indicator light on my 2001 is timed to come on and stay on at 7500 mi intervals. It starts blinking at startup at about 7000mi. To reset you turn the key off, hold the Reset and Select odometer buttons in while turning the Key to III - then hold for 10 seconds.

Also change the oil filter as often as you can. Every oil change - or no less than every other change.

Not for everyone, just my experience keeping vehicles for long periods of time. :D
    "I would use full synthetic because it includes certain branched carbon molecules that display better viscosity/lubrication and are not found in petroleum-based oil. "

Better living through chemistry..... :P
    Thanks for the advise!
This discussion has been closed.