Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sadly, the things you complain about are par for this class.

You really have to step up a price class or even two price classes before you get significantly nicer interior materials - Tribeca for instance.

The average new car costs over $28 grand so I bet you paid far less than average, think of it that way.

Thing is, they're trying to save weight, shave ounces any place they can. So the headliner, carpets, and most plastics are no longer soft to the touch. At least Subaru did a good job not letting them look cheap. The textures are nice, I mean.

Also, the leather is nice, and I prefer the perforated leather since it breathes better. It's double-stitched and has 4 settings on the seat heaters, while some competitors have just 2.

Also, the LL Bean gets the faux suede elbow rests on the doors that are very comfy, in fact all elbows end up on softly padded surfaces. The steering wheel and shifter are also wrapped in a nice leather, so the places you touch most often is where they spent the money.

The roof -mounted antennae VW uses is a bad idea - it blocks access to the roof rack. Hiding it in the window is a much, much better solution IMHO.

VW's looks cool, but you'll find that quite often Subaru chooses function over form.
  • packrfanpackrfan Member Posts: 50
    I was told by chicago-area dealership sales person that AWP won't be available on X Premium for 6 weeks. Has anyone else heard this? I can't imagine passing on this feature after last winter's length and depth! Also, will be asking on Prices Paid thread about any recent buying experiences in chicago-area and would welcome input. Thnx
  • redherring1redherring1 Member Posts: 66
    I have seen reports that the AWP wasn't even supposed to start being available until June in any case, so they're not too far behind (although why the delay in the first place, who knows). I'd just get the Bean/Limited--the AWP is standard, and the leather seats are way more comfortable than the cloth anyway.

Bought XT Limited in Chicago 'burbs last month for about $28k with $700 of options thrown in.
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    Thank you Ateixeira. points well taken. I do however further question why such a large sunroof is not better tinted. Today I had it tinted and it makes a big difference both in heat and glare. I do not like driving with the shade pulled closed. I do not like the sattelite antenna mounted on the windshield. I seem to always see it when I look to the left. I am sure it could have been put somewhere on the roof. Why isn't the regular car antenna made to be a dual antenna?
    anyhow, despite my pickiness, I do like the car very much. BTW.. This morning i bought a small coffee and had difficulty getting it out of the deep-square cupholder. Has anyone solved this issue as of yet. i would be happy to buy an insert if I knew where and what kind.
  • pgb0517pgb0517 Member Posts: 84
    Cupholders: I am experimenting with a Drink Docker:
    http://www.drinkdocker.com/about/about.html
    You have to squeeze it a bit to get it down in the goofy square cupholders, but I like how it works so far, and the manufacturer is a small-scale operation that has been very helpful via e-mail to help me make this thing work. It is like a thick, stretchy sock wrapped around a two-tier hard plastic insert. The sock overlaps the top and secures pretty much anything you put in it -- cups, iPods, etc. I like it so far but am still looking.

Another option I may try:
    http://www.kazekup.com/HomePage_kazekup_cup_holder.html
    (I am thinking of putting a Kaz E Kup down inside the Drink Docker, actually!)

And Cabela's has this free-standing model, but I don't know if it will fit inside the square hole; Cabela's doesn't have measurements posted:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=TEQESX2MMC- OKHLAQBBLCCNVMCAEFAIWE?id=0043012018977a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=se- arch-results1.jsp&QueryText=drink+holder&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&N- ty=1&Ntt=drink+holder&noImage=0&_requestid=70907

My measurements of the Subaru squareholders are:
    3.75 inches square at top, down to 3 inches square at bottom.
    4.75 inches deep.
    About right for a Chinese take-out box.

I intend to post a thread on this after I do some more research. So far, the Drink Docker is winning. The options are pretty thin. Most free-standing drink holders that are meant for boats or RVs are bigger than 3 inches square.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Birdboy, What kind of film was used to tint your sunroof? I am looking to do the same on my XT later this year. Agreed that Subaru should have tinted it darker.

One workaround I use when parked is to put an aluminumized windshield sun shade in the sunroof between glass and sliding panel, with panel pulled forward just enough to help hold it in place.
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    I had one dealer tell me that they had the AWP here now, if I wanted it in my car. But, as I wasn't getting it, I didn't order it.

Not sure if it could have been a red herring...

If I recall, the Subaru website noted AWP was coming in June.
  • skeletonskeleton Member Posts: 37
    I had the dealer put in my hitch cause I'm not that savvy and didn't have 4 hours to spend on it like bikerguy3 did. The dealer charges only 1.2 hours labor.

Now the hatch door runs into the bumper pad and doesn't shut properly. Need to go back. All in all it'll be much more than 4 hours between the commuting and the work itself...maybe I shoulda done it myself...
    The guy who tinted my sunroof used a film a bit darker than the factory tinted side windows. I like the way it looks and that I can still see the sky but no glare. It is a permanent tint. He could not believe that such a large sunroof was so lightly tinted. I am thinking of maybe doing the drivers and passenger windows in the summer.
    Birdboy,

What did that run you? It sounds like a good idea.
    Have any of you paid attention to the Tweeter. It comes as a part of a bunch of packages with the premium models that I have been looking at, but not all. I'm wondering if the sound system is marginal enough that if I don't get it I would be disappointed later. I haven't been on a test drive without the tweeter installed in the car.

I realize everyones sound tastes are different, so would like to get multiple opinions.

Thanks!
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Based on other Subaru stereos I've heard, I think they're typically pretty flat without the tweeters. Other option is to do it aftermarket, of course.
    As pointed out to me before on this forum , Subaru seems to be more focued on function than form.The radio is another example. It was such a let down to me when I first heard the base radio. Since I spend a lot of time in the car, I wanted good sound like that found in most other vehicles. Even ones costing less. I remember a 2006 SAAB that I test drove, the radio was as flat as the road even worse than the subaru one.. I upgraded to the subwoofer and the Bean came with tweeters. I recommend you doing the same. The sound , while not great , in my opinion, is at least more pleasant to listen to. The tweeters are a must. The XM also adds to the better sound quality.
  • redrose1redrose1 Member Posts: 49
    Anyone have any real world information on what I can expect from an '09 turbo XT?
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    I've put on 1,600 miles on my XT and I can tell you that I did the calculations myself, not the computer readout, and got 23.7mpgs on my 400mi hwy trip doing 65-75mph running the a/c, full load + dog. When I had it empty, going 75mph and not running the a/c windows down I was getting 25.7 according to the computer. I haven't had much of a chance to run it around the city so I'll give an update on that in another 2 weeks or so?
    My '09 XT started out around 17 - 18 mpg but is currently running around 20 - 21 mpg ave. for the same mostly city/stop-go commutes I do. Have not had long enough freeway trip to calculate highway mileage, but mpg readout has hit 23 for some of the time on the freeway.
    Some other posters here have remarked Subaru mileage improves for the first 10,000 miles.

As for burning oil, this engine seems tight and I've seen virtually no oil consumption - it's currently at 1700 miles.
  • dsmrnodsmrno Member Posts: 5
    Here is the fuel consumption so far on my XT limited:

Date Miles Gallons MPG
    --------------------------------------------------------
    03/26/08 280.0 13.010 21.52
    04/04/08 269.3 13.284 20.27
    04/15/08 290.6 14.167 20.51
    04/23/08 298.9 14.198 21.05
    05/02/08 302.5 14.001 21.61
    05/10/08 303.1 14.448 20.98
    05/21/08 290.7 13.653 21.29
    05/24/08 97.0 4.567 21.24
    05/25/08 244.6 10.582 23.11
    05/30/08 279.3 13.288 21.02

The only trip I have taken is the 23.11 reading (over the Sierra Nevada between Reno and Sacramento). The trip mileage could have been better, as there was snowfall and an accident that halted traffic for 20 minutes. Speed was ~75mph. I noticed that according the the computer, mileage was *much* lower going uphill than downhill (less than 19mpg on uphill climbs), but it all averages out.

The remaining entries are for my commute - a 20 loop with 14 miles on the highway averaging about 70mph, and 6 miles of slow stop and go (30 untimed stop lights!).

Overall, 21.21 mpg for my first 2656 miles, and seems to be improving slightly. I'm not a lead foot, but not conservative either. Climate control is always on, so the AC is running 75% plus of the time.

Dave
    That's decent, and should improve.

On my '98 Forester, I had not reached my peak mileage until around 15k miles. It kept improving slowly for the first two years, then leveled off.

Our 09 is being PDI'd right now, we should have it early next week. I'll check out the tint on the moonroof when we get it.
  • red927red927 Member Posts: 118
    The AWP Package is available now. I have seen cars that have it.
    redherring
    good points but i'm only looking for 5 speed man tran and since it's discontinued on XT, i'm limited to X Premium. Hard to imagine enough XTs weren't sold to warrant its continued production. could use six speeds for better mileage but at its better than 4 spds in auto. thnx for pricing info - any positive rec's on dealership?
    Agree - i've now seen a few in dealer's inventory listing but only very few. Hope more show up soon, I'm getting itchy to add to the big sales numbers!
    The manual XT models sold in very tiny numbers, actually.

I think that for the WRX it was seen as a must-have, but most Forester XT buyers just got the automatic.

A lot of Edmunds members did buy manuals, though - Lucien, Frank, etc.
    I'm looking for your opinion of the Cargo Nets, and whether it might be worth getting them to keep things in place. I'm mainly looking at the side nets or the vertical net for the rear hatch area.

Do things really start falling out when you open the hatch if you don't have the net?

Your comments are appreciated as I hone in on my prefect Forester. Thanks.
    We sort of compromised and got the side nets.

Here's why - the one in the rear is closest, but it also blocks you from loading just about anything that's too big for the net.

So you can attach, detach, attach, detach each time, as needed.

Or...get the side nets, and you can always leave them in place. :shades:

Of course we still don't even have ours yet, so I hope so! :D
  • phdhuskyphdhusky Member Posts: 112
    I've never had to use cargo nets in any of my SUVs I find that the rear cargo tray does a great job in keeping things from moving around as it's rubbery. I'm also not doing figure 8's in my forester.
  • arnabcarnabc Member Posts: 27
    took the new forester for its first longish drive today. 80 miles roundtrip--mostly highway--averaged 27.5 for the whole trip. on the way out, averaged 29! i'm very pleased. however, city only driving hasn't yet gone above 17, but we've done less than 20 miles of city driving so far.
    Has anyone else noticed that the front passenger seat is lower than the driver's seat? How awkward or annoying is this?Any solutions?
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I agree with you about the front passenger seat. It's like sitting in a hole. I wonder why Subaru did not put a height adjuster on that seat, or just mount it at the high point of the driver's seat. Of all the things on our '09 Forester, the low front passenger is one thing I strongly dislike.
    any positive rec's on dealership

I bought from Grand Subaru in Bensenville; they were fine to work with, very knowledgeable (my salesman was Andres, who races a WRX on weekends so is very passionate about the brand--refreshing), and I think made a reasonable deal considering that XT Limiteds are still pretty hard to find, at least in the Chicago area. I also looked at Schaumburg (not a lot of inventory--they mostly sell Imprezas I understand). Liked the salesman at Roto in Arlington Heights, but he said he'd call when they got an XT in and 6 weeks later I still have heard nothing from him, not even a routine followup. They also sell Mazda and Lincoln, so it's not a dedicated Subaru shop like Grand.

Grand found exactly the XT I wanted out in Rockford right away (it was the only one like it within 100 miles), and swapped out the chin spoiler and mesh grill (neither of which I wanted) at N/C.
    From Automotive News 6/4/08:

"Subaru posted a 13.2 percent month-over-month increase in retail sales for May. Year-to-date sales rose 4.2 percent from the same period last year. It posted gains in all of its models except the Legacy, which fell 10.4 percent. Overall Subaru car sales were up 14.0 percent.

Subaru's biggest success was the redesigned Forester, which saw sales jump 65.6 percent from May 2007. The Forester's gains bested those of similar vehicles, such as the Toyota RAV4, whose sales fell 9.9 percent, and the Honda CR-V, whose sales rose 2.3 percent."
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Check on the LA Times webpage to read what Dan Neil has to say on the Forester review today. Neil is my favorite car writer, he used to work at Car and Driver and later got a Pulitzer prize.
    Subaru went smart (at last) with him, and let him drive the car for a whole week. Guess what happened.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Is it lower than the drivers seat fully declined? It is something I've noticed in other vehicles also. Usually takes the upper level trims in upper end vehicles to expect passenger height adjustments. But Subie doesn't offer it in any model which I think is an oversight if Subie wants to be upscale. Passenger seat is the last place I sit in a vehicle and the one I notice least - I usually start at the back and move forward so I honestly don't remember exactly how I felt in it.
    Of all things, the turbo Forester is actually pretty fun to drive. It has good low-end torque, and the automatic transmission grabs and goes as it should.

A number of other mags, while whacking Forester for only having a 4-speed, go on to say that in the Forester Turbo, the 4-speed works quite well.
    Agreed, a 5-speed would probably help fuel economy, especially in the base model that has less torque.
    FYI, my XT does have decent response, but the 4-speed's a little rough from time to time.
    Mileage reports sound good, especially since the engines are still green.

What is encouraging is that I recall when the 1998 model first came out, people weren't getting numbers quite this good. So despite being bigger, heavier, and more powerful, it's actually getting better numbers in the real world.
    Is the seat track flat?

On my Miata I used spacers to raise the seat by about 3/8".

Some Subaru have seat tracks at an angle, though, making that very difficult.
    Mileage reports sound good, especially since the engines are still green.

What is encouraging is that I recall when the 1998 model first came out, people weren't getting numbers quite this good. So despite being bigger, heavier, and more powerful, it's actually getting better numbers in the real world.

yes, i'm hopeful that once broken in, we may get something approaching 23/29 on a regular basis.

mind you, large chunks of last night's drive were on cruise control at about 70 mph, and on the way back there was significant wind.
    i've noticed it now that it has been mentioned, but given that i didn't notice it when i was sitting in it during our test-drives (my wife and i both drove it twice) i'm having a hard time getting worked up about it.
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    My wife had the same complaint about passenger seat, It is unfortunate that is does not have the same adjustment as the drivers seat,
    Thanks to all on the advice of the trailer hitch! I got an online quote from UHaul for $139 parts + $45 Labor(est), hitch only. I just want to attach a bike carrier at this point, so the wiring is not important to me.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Why isn't the regular car antenna made to be a dual antenna?

Does such a thing exist? Don't even Benz's and BMWs have separate blade antennas for the satellite radio?

-Frank
    thank you Frank. I am not sure. I am sure that this black square antenna stuck on my windshield inside the car could have been mounted somewhere on the roof and would not have interfered with the roof rack. I have not seen any other car makers with this design, not to mention the big price ticket for the xm adapter.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    "The turbo is not available with the five-speed manual, for reason only known to God."

Amen!

Personally I think it would be worth it for Subaru to offer a 5-speed (or better yet a 6-speed!) XT in the US even if they don't sell that many of them. I see it as providing a kind of performance halo to the entire model line and as has been pointed out, car magazines invaribably test drive the manually equipped models when available.

And why does that make a difference you ask? Well when Car & Driver awarded the Forester XT with the title of "Best Small SUV" three years in a row, it was a manual transmission model they test drove ;)

-Frank
    I'm glad to hear you and your wife are not too bothered by the seat height. Would it have influenced your decision to purchase the Forester?
    Has your wife adjusted to the low seat height?Had you noticed it before you purchased your car, would you still own the same car today?!
    I'm glad to hear you and your wife are not too bothered by the seat height. Would it have influenced your decision to purchase the Forester?

i doubt it highly. maybe if it had an actual impact on comfort. but it does seem like a silly design issue, doesn't it? i wonder what the reason is.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Kurt -
    I'm off topic here, but figured this was best place to reach you soon. :D If all goes well, I'll be taking the 3-4 hour drive south to your neck of the woods to pick up a used Legacy wagon down in Oregon City in the next 10 days or so. Do you have a recommendation for a Subaru shop in the vicinity to do a mechanical inspection? Your dealer or...? Thanks!
    - Jeff
    Jeff, Lithia Subaru is in Oregon City, just off the 210.
    Their service department seems decent.

Another Subaru dealer I've had good luck with, much farther away from your stopping point (20 miles or so), is Royal Moore Subaru in Hillsboro.

Carr Subaru is in Beaverton. My co-workers had nothing good to say about them.

Good luck! :shades:
    Anybody notice the dope commenting on the LA Times article who criticized the fuel economy of the Forester while claiming that his '06 2wd Pathfinder got 20 city/25 highway? Sure, and the Escalade ESV gets 40. I don't even think a Pathfinder would get those kinds of numbers rolling downhill with a tailwind--it's officially rated at 14/20. I'm sure the Forester XT would blow its doors off anyway; the Pathfinder only has 46 more hp and weighs over 1,000 pounds more.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Moreso, Nissans are not reknowned for outperforming their EPA numbers.
    I'm trying to locate a Non-turbo test drive write-up for the forester. It looks like the only test drives are with the Turbos...from my research to date. I guess Subaru (and any other manufacturer for that matter) wants the most powerful car test driven for the magazines, etc.

I live at altitude, and drive up in the mountains. I don't want to buy a turbo model. It would be great to see a reviewer talk about the 2.5x. As the turbo has more HP, I'm sure it would make it up the mountains just fine.

Looking for input on the 2.5x for mountain driving. Anyone find a write-up like that?

Thanks!
    Motor Trend did a comparo of the '09 Forester X to a bunch of other 4-cylinder SUV'S either this or last month. Forester came out on top. :shades:

They also did brief test of Forester XT version for comparison.