Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• zznalgzznalg Member Posts: 4
    Background: I live in New Mexico at 5000-7000 feet above sea level. I drive on the highways at 80-90 MPH in 50 MPH cross-winds.

1) How is the normally aspirated 2009 Forester's power at 80 MPH at high altitude? Is it able to quickly and comfortable pass a huge Semi??

2) How does the 2009 Forester handle super-strong cross winds of 50 mph PLUS????

Thank you very much!
  • pgb0517pgb0517 Member Posts: 84
    Yes. They call it SPORTSHIFT Manual Control.
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    PQB,
    I have only used MT vehicles, except rental cars. So I am on the other side of the fence. I always feel like I have more control of the vehicle if it is a MT. I did try the Sportshift on a test drive only...so there are others with more experience using it.

My thoughts: Yes, except for not having a clutch, it is like being able to drive your car as a MT, but 4 speed only. It was really easy to shift. You just bumped it up or down to change gears, rather than putting it into gear. I probably wouldn't use it for city driving, as, I'm guessing, the stop/go will be better handled by the computer in your car, especially if you haven't driven MT before. (I did try it in town, and it was fairly similar to MT.) Once you learn the SS then, if you are a good driver, you can beat the mpg that the automatic gets. If you aren't a good driver with it, you will lose on mpg. (Good driver includes being able to shift at the "right" RPM.) The computers keep getting better, so not sure how this generation is for the AT catching up to the MT on mpg. The hint is that on the 08 Foprester, the MT on hiway was rated 1mpg better than the AT. On the 09 they are rated the same.

There are still some maneuvers that you can do with the MT that you can't do with the SS, as you don't have the clutch to play with. I assume that the mpg on the 5 speed MT would be slightly better than the mpg on the 4 speed SS, all other things being comparable.

I felt it would definitely come in handy when you are in snow/mud or other conditions where you want to be in the lower gears on purpose. Also, I would want to use it for off roading. I do believe in those conditions you will be able to control the car better. Going down long steep hills that you want to use the gearing to slow your vehicle rather than using the brakes, it would be great.

My 2 cents...
  • redherring1redherring1 Member Posts: 66
    It's also great for slowing down (engine braking) when you don't want your brake lights to come on (like when you pass a cop going a little too fast). Otherwise in everyday driving I doubt you'd use it much--I've had it on my last 2 Acuras and only used it a handful of times, mostly in the winter when holding a lower gear helps with traction.
  • redrose1redrose1 Member Posts: 49
    Congrats on your new Forester! Not clear - which model did you get?
    Please let us know how you feel about the front passenger seat being lower than the driver's seat.

Thanks and good luck!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Frank: after driving the turbo, the base engine probably feels that way, all things being relative.

For its class, i.e. base 4 cylinders with a focus on fuel economy, it actually compares well:

PZEV Forester: 175hp
    Rogue: 175hp
    non-PZEV Forester: 170hp
    Outlander: 168hp
    RAV4: 166hp
    CR-V: 166hp
    Element: 166hp
    Vue: 164hp
    Patriot: 158hp (172hp with optional engine upgrade)
    Escape/Tribute/Mariner: 153hp
    Tucson/Sportage: 140hp

Even the V6 Tucson/Sportage has 173hp, so our PZEV Forester actually has more power than that V6.

The CX7, RD-X, and Tiguan are all turbos that would really compete with the XT. V6 competitors can't even come close in terms of fuel costs.

So basically the PZEV model ties the Rogue for the most powerful engine we considered.

Sportshift is cool, I sampled it a lot during my first test drive. I was impressed that it completes the shifts in a fraction of a second.

zznalg: at altitude, the turbo is going to be the one that thrives.
    Thanks! :shades:

We took delivery last night, so it's finally in our driveway.

I should say SHE took delivery. She test drove it, she drove it home, and she didn't even let me get behind the wheel yet. It's my wife's car and she's possessive of her new baby! :D

We had to special order a Limited model, Newport Blue Pearl, PZEV engine option, which is a $300 or so upgrade but adds 5hp and cleaner emissions. Interior is platinum leather, and let me say, it seems a lot lighter in person that the photos in the brochure would imply. The cabin feels very airy and bright, especially with that gigantic psuedo-convertible roof.

We paid 2% under invoice, which was a tad under $25k, but when you add the PZEV option, cargo liner, cargo cover, bumper protector, and mud guards, it added up to $25,023, plus MD tax and tags.

Subtract $1600 in Subaru Bucks, which I found out they put under "Rebate", and our cost was $23,423, a bargain IMO.

Fitz Subaru was great, once again. My family has purchased 5 Subarus from them, and they had us in and out of there in one hour. Amazing. I can't share the name of the salesperson but e-mail me if you want that, they took good care of us.

Now if the wife would only let me drive it! :D

PS Fitz still does not have any LL Beans or Limiteds in stock, even now. So demand is still very strong for these models.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    I have been told there is also a supply issue. Something about the leather used in the XT and Lim holding up production. Our dealer still hasn't recieved his initial order of Limited or XT models. We Canadians may be having to wait longer. They are selling very well though. Chatting with our dealer couple of weeks ago he had firm sales but had to find the vehicles somewhere. FWIW the first 7 he sold were all MT. Tells you something about Subie folk.
    WRT mileage, the new AT programmes pretty much all outperform the MT in EPA testing for city mileage. They certainly do for the Forester. In light acceleration, the computer will max efficiency, and it is much more aware and knowledgable than you the driver so it wins. The MT almost universally wins the highway contest due to drivetrain power loss inherent in the slush box. I have only had one personal vehicle which was auto in 25 years of driving and I got rid of that in 2 years because I felt less connected to the car when driving. There is a good chance that my next one will be Auto.(GASP) There is no longer a mileage penalty and it will make it available for our nanny to drive. She just never got comfortable learning stick even in the Bug which has an incredibly forgiving MT.
    Sportshift and all these other manual shift autos are silly for the average driver IMHO. They originated in sports cars and I'm sure they were there to reduce the poseur factor of driving a Porsche with the S4. More and more makers put them in, starting from the sporty models down. Now it's a question of a vehicle considered lacking if it does not offer it. For me it's an answer to a question no-one asked. I defy anyone to get better mileage than the computer can , and for those rare situations you want a lower gear, that's what the L was always there for : I've used it many times in the truck. I actually cost our dealer a sale when a customer came back having made my mistake of putting it into sport mode and them complained that the shifting was awful and the engine revved too high!! He went back out with her to demostrate the proper auto mode, but it was clear her first impression had been soured. DSG is a completely different animal of course, but those should stay in performance cars only.
    The leather is great, no wonder they're having problems getting enough of them.

My dealer friend told me people REALLY want the AWP, so now that the premium w/AWP are arriving that may help somewhat. Until now a lot of folks were stepping up to an LL Bean and just paying more to get the AWP.

Ours had 10 miles on the odometer when we first test drove it. The trip computer started at 5mpg (lots of idling I'm sure). It crept up to 16mpg on a short drive home, and should keep creeping up. We're taking it out tonight and she said I can drive if I'm a good boy. :D

Wifey wants to try out SportShift mode so we'll see how she likes it. I'd probably only use it when approaching a hill, or maybe in the snow, to start in 2nd. But you're right, you could do that before, with the gated shifter.
    I'd probably only use it...in the snow, to start in 2nd

I'll have to check when I get home to see if it will let you do that--most other similar systems automatically downshift to 1st during a stop regardless of what gear you were in before...
    I should try that tonight, too.
  • phdhuskyphdhusky Member Posts: 112
    Sounds great! I would have gotten a limited or premium with AWP but I couldn't wait and I needed a car sooner rather than later. Those subie bucks really helped you out. As stated before my PZEV premium came out to 23,200 with some pricey options such as sport grill, wheel well covers, spoiler, rear bumper protection, splash gaurds, wheel locks, aero bars. Kind of wish I had leather and the AWP but time was ticking.

Loving it so far and still contemplating the 1k oil change as i'm at 1.1k now. Any advice?

As for sport shift, I find it more of a gimic than of use and i'm pretty sure you can start in 2nd.
    I like the sport grille. My wife didn't, though. I might have ordered it if it were mine.

The wheel well covers will pay for themselves the first time they protect the doors from a scratch.

I didn't order wheel locks. I may add those myself. Good catch.

I didn't get cross bars, either, by our minivan has a roof rack if need be.

Fitz gives every other oil change for free, the first scheduled at 3750 miles. I think we'll just stick with that.

I usually do the maintenance myself, but if it's free, hey, why not. Plus oil costs a lot more than it used to.
    Would you yankees pleeease stop ruining my day by posting how little you paid!?! About the best we can do here is 31Can$ for the limited. At current exchange that's about 30K U$. It remains well priced relative to others in Canada, but still leaves a sour taste. I don't live near the border so importing isn't really a valid option, and half the savings get eaten up by fees, duty etc.
    Yeah but your beer is better. :D
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Like you, I've almost always driven automatics. MT was fun the few times I've done it, and it does give you more "interaction" with your vehicle, but AT is what I grew up with and seems the most practical/easy.

We've got Sportshift on both of our Subies & I use it every once in a while when I feel like having a little fun. It's not like a manual, but it gives a bit more interaction, incorporates you into the driving experience just a little more. If I'm pushing the car a little, I feel the Sportshift can give me more control of the RPMs and allow for zippier performance. But that's about the extent of it... just a little bit of fun. If I use it on the highway, after cruising at the same speed for a while, I tend to forget I've slipped it into Sportshift, so I use it around town more. It does automatically downshift for you if you forget while decelerating but if you forget to shift while accelerating, your engine will just keep revving higher and higher, giving you an embarassing reminder to shift.

Like volkov said, almost no way you can get better MPG using Sportshift than by just letting the computer do its job, so don't expect to use it for that.

All in all, I like having Sportshift better than not, but it's by no means a necessary feature for me.
    As long as you're leaving microbrews out of it, I'll agree. ;)

Their donuts are better, too. :D
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    "The wheel well covers will pay for themselves the first time they protect the doors from a scratch."

How would the wheel well covers prevent the doors from getting scratched?
  • johnc19johnc19 Member Posts: 15
    I am currently the owner of a 2000 Honda Odyssey and am considering down-sizing to something like the Forester or CRV. I've never owned a Subaru but I really like the new Forester after stopping at a dealer and getting the chance to sit inside (but not test drive) one.

I noticed that the Forester only has a 4-speed automatic vs. the 5-speed in the CRV (which I haven't test driven either). What I was wondering from someone who has a new Forester is what RPMs it runs at when cruising at 60 MPH. Does anyone know of plans by Subaru to make a 5-speed automatic available in the future?

I also noted that there doesn't appear to be a heat gauge like I'm used to seeing on the instrument panel. Is there some other instrument or readout that tells me if the car is overheating, or just an "idiot light" that tells me to check the engine?

Any thoughts some of you owners could share would be greatly appreciated.
  • arnabcarnabc Member Posts: 27
    there's a light that alerts you to any engine overheating issues. when you first turn the car on it illuminates in blue, and then turns off once the engine is sufficiently heated. if it overheats the light comes on in red. luckily, i haven't seen this yet.

we liked the forester a lot more than the crv
    Thanks to all who responded on the Sportshift. It's been very enlightening. Guess I'll play with it sometime when I'm feeling ... sporty.
  • phdhuskyphdhusky Member Posts: 112
    When going around 65 I think the rpms are ~2500. You don't notice the engine rpms though and it is very comfortable. My gf drives a 2007 Cr-V and I drove that car around for a whole year. I can tell you that the Forester is more fun to drive than the CRV. You get a better 4WD system and no torque steer. The 4 speed vs 5 speed makes little difference in driver feel to me. You will feel like you are sitting higher in the CRV and lower and more carlike in the Forester. There are trade offs with both cars but I have been very satisfied with my Forester and I didn't want to buy the CRV as it is marketed toward mid 30's women with children and I am 21.

The best thing is to go look at both cars and see how they feel to you. Send me a msg and I can elaborate on the issue.
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    For those still considering the Forester, I have owned one for a month thus far. Except for the cost cutting interior , in my opinion, I am very happy with the drive. Last night on a 3 hour Thruway trip upstate @60-65mph, I averaged between 29-31 mpg . This is the third trip with this milage and it still is brand new.
    Replying to myself, I experimented last night with whether, by using Sportshift, you can start in 2nd (handy for snow starts). The answer: yes, but there's a trick to it. When in Sportshift the car does automatically downshift to 1st when you stop, but if you then bump the shift forward it will go into 2nd and start from there. Be aware that because of the gear ratio it gets going really slow in 2nd, but on a very slick surface I bet it would be great.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    All my automatic Foresters since 2001 have started in 2nd when that is chosen. I guess that with the new Sportshift there is no "2" to select anymore, true?
    Exactly--it's only P, R, N and D is at the bottom now, with the Sportshift slot to the left of that.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    very useful to know wrt the sportshift, thanks.

My CR-V test drive suggested CR-V has somewhat nicer interior, but was not all that responsive despite the 5-speed (one pro review commented its trans doesn't use 4th gear all that much). CR-V ride was also much firmer than Foresters'.
    CR-V AWD, from videos I've seen, is weaker coping with hills than the Forester system is.

However, CR-V is a tiny bit faster and gets a bit more fuel economy per Motor Trend's recent 2008 comparo.
    Remember kids, the 09's all have TC so I highly doubt you'd need to play with starting in L2 in slippery conditions. We'll have to see how she fares in real world ice or deep snow. Hopefully it's better than the Toyota set-up which favours not moving at all to spinning the wheels. There have been numerous complaints about that.
    On my test drive I took the F9 to a moderate uphill on loose gravel road. From a stop I floored it and it just pulled away at an initially moderate rate of acceleration with barely a sound. Beyond the lack of pebbles flying everywhere, I was most impressed by how smooth it was. Prior experience in the Highlander and CR-V and older Jetta gave the sense of the car fighting against you and against itself whilst the warning light and beeper screamed at you. Nothing like that with Forester. To be fair, the CR-V was the last gen. and I didn't take the new one to that spot but I don't think the AWD and TC have changed since 06.
    I think the Motor Trend article compared FWD CR-V to the AWD Forester. EPA numbers for F09 vs AWD CRV are identical, and the acceleration for the AWD tends to hover around 10 sec for 0-60. So apples to apples the X is equally as fast and equally efficient.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    I would say that is true. Here in this part of New England (MA) our snow tends to have a high moisture content, rarely light and fluffy. I have never had a problem with up to 9 or 10 inches of snow, even just leaving it in "drive", and I don't have TC. After that the front end tends to lift a bit, losing traction because of the ground clearance, but that seems to be due to the engine compartment shield that is no longer used on the 09.

The only time I have ever got stuck was in 14" of very dense snow when I got high-centered because of the shield. Removing a few shovels of snow from under the shield brought me back in contact with the road and off I went.

I have used "2" more when I want more control, no upshifts or downshifts while already moving. It also gives great control when approaching a corner and you want to slow a little but not use the brakes. Very much like a manual transmission.

Areas with no other traffic or obstacles can be a lot of fun in the snow with a Soob! :)
    There is worse pricing pain for Subaru buyers than in Canada.

The roughly $29,500 Forester XT I bought here would have set me back $47,697.63 in Australia. :surprise:

Blame their import tariffs and additional distributor markup.

It's not the currency...aussie dollars are very close to USA dollars right now.
  • irollitirollit Member Posts: 20
    I just purchased a 2009 Forester 2.5X Limited with a moon roof. It will be here by the end of June. I ordered the "bubble" air deflector, thinking it would make less noise with it. Now I wonder if the mileage will be affected.

I have read of people getting more than the 20-26 mph listed on the sticker. I do not want to jeopardize the great mileage that the Forester is capable of giving us.

Does anyone have experience with the "bubble"air deflector and decreased mileage?
  • irollitirollit Member Posts: 20
    What are Subaru bucks? I asked for a rebate or incentives but got a negative answer when purchasing a 2009 Forester.
    If you have a Subaru Credit card, issued by Chase Bank (I think) your purchases on the card accru Subaru Bucks.
    Would suggest you read the application carefully - there are some potential gotchas from Chase.
  • board_jayboard_jay Member Posts: 22
    Hi,

My 2009 Forrester Premium 2.5X w/all weather is due in at the end of June. I have been looking to see if there are any window side deflectors available for it yet for the front windows? I have had them on all vehicles I've ever owned and will miss them! Thanks.
    Subaru of America is notoriously skimpy with the available accessory choices. Many Subaru enthusiasts end up ordering items from the accessories catalog Subaru offers to its customers in Japan. A reputable website for that is japanparts.com... here's a link to their page with Forester interior/exterior accessories (there are other categories as well). Looks like a full set of the door visors runs about 23,700 Yen or $220 US. Good luck!
    http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=1&car=136&middlesmall=2%3A&mak- - er=&volkey=
    A lot of cool stuff on japanparts.com--I particularly like the "Center Corn Sole Pocket".

Anybody know if the HID bulbs would work with the US headlight system?
    Weather Tech makes side window deflectors..they advertise extensively in Car and Driver and other automag pubs.
  • mwasnidgemwasnidge Member Posts: 28
    Maybe keep your eye on this thread:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f80/side-window-rain-wind-deflectors-351- 66/

US vendors are trying to get supplied through SOJ.
  • mwasnidgemwasnidge Member Posts: 28
    Anyone know what the moonroof air deflector will look like with the aero crossbars? Is it feasible to have both and not be too crowded up there?
  • sylviecatsylviecat Member Posts: 10
    This might not be the proper place for this query, in which case, I am very sorry, but i've been trying to figure this out. If you need to rder the 09, and they seem in short supply, if you want specifics (working out a few things, then I want to get the xPremium AWP or X Ltd in Newport Blue)

If you have to order from the dealer, is there still a way to negotiate price? and if so, any advice?

Many thanks!
    I am considering purchasing a new 2009 Forester, but in reading the posts in various Subaru discussions, it appears that at one time Subaru had some real issues with head gasket failures leading to expensive repairs or engine replacements. From what I can tell (not having ever owned a Subaru) most of the failures mentioned in these discussions occurred on late 1990s to early 2000s model years.

I don't really see any discussion of issues for the most recent models. My question for someone with knowledge and experience with these engines is, did Subaru do something specific to improve head gasket durability, or is the reason that late model years aren't having failures is just due to a lack of time/mileage?

I really like the design and styling of the new Forester better than any comparable smaller SUV, but wouldn't want to be in the position of having to make a major engine repair after 6 to 8 years of ownership.
    Thanks for your thoughts about the differences between these 2 vehicles.

Can you elaborate on what's better/different about Subaru's 4WD system compared to Honda's. I've never had a 4WD vehicle because it's not absolutely crucial to me living in Northern VA. However, I obviously can't buy a Subaru and not have it be 4WD.
  • board_jayboard_jay Member Posts: 22
    Thanks! I went to Add-On and Yipes Stripes today (local add-on accessory shops) and the folks at both places told me that Weather Tech and Auto Vent Shade don't have them available for the 09 Forresters yet, but expects them to be out in 2-3months.
    This morning while trying to lift a small cup of coffee out of the deep square coffee holder the lid came off spilling hot coffee all over. This created a very unsafe situation in several ways. Has anyone out there found a remedy for this ? poor design in my opinion and I think Subaru should offer us an safe insert.
  • w8ifiw8ifi Member Posts: 78
    You might want to do a search on "head gasket" in the Subaru threads here. Your question comes up fairly often. There was a period when some head gasket problems were occurring but not on every engine. Still it was enough that Subaru worked on the problem quite aggressively. For the last six years or so it apparently hasn't been an issue, so whatever they did fixed it. It doesn't mean it can't happen but it is very unlikely. No manufacturer has a 100% perfect record on anything as complicated as a vehicle.
    Subaru's are still noted for their excellent reliability. Their engines are certainly at the top for reliability and length of service. I've owned two Dodge Omni's, one "K" car, and a Neon ,all 4 cylinder, and every one had head gasket failure. Chrysler wouldn't provide financial assistance on any of them. Many Subaru's are on the road with over 200,000 miles with no engine issues.
    Jim
    Search for "cupholders" in this discussion and also for my name "pgb0517" -- I posted an update on my quest for the perfect cupholder insert not long ago.
    I just googled and found a black molded plastic insert @ www.boatmartusa.com. They come in 2 sizes and are inexpensive. They come in 2 sizes. Model ch-2b Standard 2-7/8"x2-3/4 diameter or 3-3/4" diameter. Any suggestions or thoughts on this product? Thanks.
    I have found several products like these in the RV/boat accessory lines. Problem is, they are a single size. I prefer either the ones with graduated sizes (bigger at the top, getting down to soda-can size in one or two steps), or those that somehow adapt to different sizes. My post on cupholders from a few days ago has some options. I'm still researching. I've also e-mailed SOA telling them to come on fer cryin' out loud and make us an insert. It's 2008, manufacturers should have this nailed!
    sgloon: on the 98, the fender flares covered part of the rear door, protecting then when you opened the door. I guess I'll have to take a closer look at the new wheel well covers to see if it's the same way - doesn't the rear door overlap a bit with the rear wheel well?

Plus is protects you from other cars opening their doors.

johnc19: our 2009 Forester actually shifts more smoothly than our minivan (2007 Sienna), even with fewer ratios.

birdboy: 29-31 mpg sounds great. Ours is already up to 22 mpg and we're still on our very first 1/4 tank.

redherring: thanks for checking the starting-in-2nd for the snow.

volkov: my Sienna nearly stalls up a snowy hill because the TRAC is so invasive. I think starting in 2nd will be more effective because there may be no slip to begin with. Either way, it's nice to have the choice and full control.