Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You will need to use your original mirror glass.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    Thank you for the comment.

The 2009 Forester is not still in Europe. Perhaps the car will be in Europe after April 2008. Let's see.
    Yes they will fit but they will be mutually upside down.
    I know we had some modifications to do when we installed a set of JDM power retracting mirrors on the 2000 2.5RSes we used to modify in the day. I don't remember the details but we used the USDM glas for sure.

-mike
    If the JDM glass mirrors are taken out of their case and replaced them with US glasses that will be OK. It will not work if JDM glasses are swapped, i.e. right to left and vice versa.
    Right, that's what I was saying you need to use your OEM USDM glass plates on the JDM mirrors. The other issue though is that IIRC the angle of the case itself is different L/R on the JDM v. USDM

Like I said best bet would be to get the WRX mirrors and put em on your Forester if they fit, heck the Tribeca mirrors may bolt on as well.

-mike
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    I have just gone over to subaru.co.jp. Here is what I saw:

J2717FG000: A whole mirror assembly with LED turn indicator for Impreza
    J2717FG001: Same thing, except that it's a heated mirror, price = 52,500 yen

For Forester....

E3617SC550: "System Carrier Base," which requires roof rails
    H4717SC100: "Puddle Lamp Kit"
    E5517SC000: "Front Underguard" - plastic
    E5517SC100: "Rear Underguard" - plastic

SAA3280000: "Sport Auto Filter"
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    17" wheels, roof rails, panoramic moonroof, reclining rear seats, retractable rear center console w/cupholders, to name a few things you get with the PP over the base model.

Can someone tell me where they found the 09 trim/spec levels? I'd like to compare the X vs. X w/PP vs LLB... :)

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    There was a Forester-at-a-glance document, I think a PDF that was linked above.

It's similar to last year, except the Sports models are gone and no more manual on the turbos. Nav is a stand-alone option on the top end model of each drivetrain.
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    The Sports models are gone??? That was the best one.
    Well, that was the model they used to introduce stability control. Now that all models have it, there's less of a need.

I do expect them to bring it back in a year or two. In fact they already have the perfect grille for it on some JDM models.

I say bring back a Sports XT with a manual trans, that grille, and WRB paint. Lowered, even.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Found it Juice; thanks.

Interestingly, the overall height with roof rack is 66.9 inches; this is good news. There are cargo boxes on the market under 10" tall, meaning you should be able to have a box on the roof and still fit in most garages. Big factor for me...I could see a 09 X w/PP 5MT in my future. Nice work, Subaru. ;)

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I say bring back a Sports XT with a manual trans, that grille, and WRB paint. Lowered, even.

You won't see it lowered. Heck SPT can't even make side-skirts for it due to ground-clearance regulations (I'm guessing cause it's classified as a truck?)

-mike
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    You won't see it lowered. Heck SPT can't even make side-skirts for it due to ground-clearance regulations (I'm guessing cause it's classified as a truck?)

So what about a set of Impreza springs and spring mounts? Of course, that's a lot of money for squaring up the rear profile of an Impreza wagon. :D
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Any legroom specs published yet? Can we extrapolate from the Japanese models?
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Hello all,

Former frequent poster here. I'm currently on my second Forester. First was a 2000 S with 4EAT; current is a 2005 XT with 4EAT. If my past two purchases are any indication I'd be looking at this car in 2011 (third year of cycle as were the first two).

Right now I'm willing to reserve some judgment until I actually see the car in the metal and drive one. Improvements look to abound but photos don't communicate quality and durability of materials. Styling is subjective - I miss the squareness of my two Foresters and this one looks more like my wife's Honda Pilot. However I didn't buy either of these cars for their looks.

Too many things could happen between now and then to even say whether I'd consider a regular or high-performance Forester variant next go-round. I will say this much, however; the next one will continue to have only two floor pedals. My arthritic knees aren't getting any better so barring knee replacement surgery I don't see myself ever owning a car with a conventional clutch pedal again.

I am really tired of all the automatic transmission bashing on this and other car forums. People who view the presence of a clutch pedal as some gauge of manhood, and fail to comprehend that people who drive automatics may desire performance need to get over themselves. There are more automatic XT owners than manual XT owners; are they happier with their cars, therefore less likely to complain about them on internet forums?

All that said, I was disappointed that I couldn't get the 5EAT/Sportshift combo on my XT (for that matter, on the SG generation as a whole), and I'm appalled that it's not available on the upcoming model. I must profess ignorance when it comes to CVTs and so again must reserve judgment until I drive one. I have driven clutchless manuals (exclusively in German cars to date) and I think they'd make a great compromise for someone like me while still satisfying manual transmission enthusiasts. In any event I hope it won't be long before Subaru offers more than just the 4EAT/5MT option to Forester owners.

Ed
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Ed, if you get a chance, go drive a Nissan Murano or new Altma. They have excellent CVTs. The biggest thing you'll notice is no shifting of gears, which may seem strange. However they (the new and better CVTs) are quicker and more economical than conventional automatics.

Bob
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I happen to agree with all of your points. When I'm ready for my next vehicle, unless a 5 or 6 speed AT is offered, this Forester will be my last Subaru. While I don't do much highway driving, those times I am on the highway I would like to be cruising in 5th gear instead of 4th.. even at the expense of some performance.
    I have to say that having an MT in the new Forester would be kinda useless. It's not meant to be taken on a track or driven extremely agressively on a twisty backroad that would require an MT. I know the organizations I track with wouldn't allow it on track, I have no issues with no MT offered in this itteration of the Forester.

-mike
    I know the organizations I track with wouldn't allow it on track,

Do those organizations still allow them to autocross, or have the rules changed since I was able to autocross mine?

Ed
    Dunno, haven't auto-xed in a few years.

It's usually judged on a case-by-case basis, if I wanted to take one out for a few laps I'm sure they'd let me, however I doubt they'd just allow em to run in general.

-mike
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Granted, a vehicle with an Automatic Trans is more Useful than one with a Manual Trans. More different people can drive it! But it isn't about increasing the usefulness anyway. A small Wagon / CUV is pretty useful as it is. It's about the fun of shifting for yourself, and getting all the torque from the engine delivered to the ground, without having to wait for the torque converter to deliver it. And shifting when YOU want to - up AND down.

I doubt if many here are going to be disappointed that they can't Race or Rally the Forester in sanctioned events. But many will miss the sense of involvement in the driving experienced that driving a stick allows.

As for me, I'd be getting the NA version anyway, so not having a stick in the Turbo versions is no big deal for me. What ticks me off is that apparently you have to get the Turbo to get the telescopic steering wheel. A Tilt and Telescopic wheel really is a useful item. If the tilt-only wheel won't allow me to lift off the gas to hit the brake, without hitting my knee on the bottom of the steering wheel, that will kill the deal right there.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    AWD isn't very helpful without decent tires and the ones that came on my '07 2.5X sucked.

I replaces them before this winter with Goodrich Traction T/A's. I ran these tires on a V8 Taurus SHO and an old 535i with great results.

The tires that came on the car (Yokahamas?) slipped and slid all over in the rain and snow. They were worse than the Goodyear gatorbacks that came on my '87 Mustang 5.0.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    "Borrego is not going to give you the milage you want though. It's going to be heavy and have a V6 or V8 engine in it. Borrego will be fine for offroading but milagewise it'll be lagging, similar to the Sorrento. Unfortunately here 99% of the people have no need for offroad capabilities that it will give. Also there is no "silver bullet" that will give you offroad capabilities, towing, seating for 7 and milage all rolled into one vehicle."

I don't know about anybody else, but I don't get particularly great gas mileage. Especially for a relatively low powered 4 cylinder. I get close to the EPA rating on the highway, so I can't complain I was mislead or anything. But still, low 20's from a mid size 4 cylinder vehicle, AWD or not, is pretty pathetic. I got 25-26 from my '87 V8 Mustang (5MT) at 75mph on the highway, about the same as I get from my Subie.

Around town (most of our driving here in Chicago) we prob avg high teens.
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    "I have to say that having an MT in the new Forester would be kinda useless. It's not meant to be taken on a track or driven extremely agressively on a twisty backroad that would require an MT. I know the organizations I track with wouldn't allow it on track, I have no issues with no MT offered in this itteration of the Forester."

Hmmm, there's more to having a MT than going to the track or driving agressively on a twisty backroads. Some of us just like a MT for the control that no AT (with the possible exception of a VW DSG or similar) can give you.

"Usefulness" is in the eye of the beholder.
    Couple this with the fact that only 2% of the turbo forester buyers bought the MT, can you really blame them? If I had a business and only 2% of my sales went to an item, I'd probably drop it too.

Unfortunately the previous Forester owners voted with their pocketbook and you guys ended up off the island :(

-mike
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I am really tired of all the automatic transmission bashing on this and other car forums. People who view the presence of a clutch pedal as some gauge of manhood, and fail to comprehend that people who drive automatics may desire performance need to get over themselves.

Ed- I think you're being a little too defensive. I don't think anyone disputes that the automatic was a wonderful invention and is a great convenience for many drivers. However, manuals are still preferred by some drivers such as myself and we resent not being able to get the vehicle of our choice with a manual transmission as an option.

-Frank
    Couple this with the fact that only 2% of the turbo forester buyers bought the MT, can you really blame them?

I know we got that statistic from Bob but I really have to question it. Anecdotally at least, the number of MT Forester's I've seen on dealer lots has been far higher than 2%. And it's not like the MTs sit on the lot forever either.

-Frank
    Ed- I think you're being a little too defensive. I don't think anyone disputes that the automatic was a wonderful invention and is a great convenience for many drivers. However, manuals are still preferred by some drivers such as myself and we resent not being able to get the vehicle of our choice with a manual transmission as an option.

No dispute here, Frank. I'd often like to be able to get back into a traditional manual; maybe if I dedicated myself to some intensive physical therapy I could. Any loss of choice is a bad thing in my eyes.

I don't dispute the advantages of driver involvement and control as well as, in most cases, better fuel economy offered by manuals, either. What I find bothersome is the view that somehow the lack of a clutch pedal - even when the driver can still select gears manually - makes a car somehow less performance-oriented.

I have read some rumors that Foresters may get 6-speed manuals in the not too distant future, so maybe instead of 4EAT/5MT we'll see CVT/6MT as options. I'm willing to be patient in all respects; hopefully consumer demand will dictate that both manual and automatic options are made available.

Ed
    Frank, I'm working from memory here, but I believe the figure that was given to me was that XT manuals accounted for 2% of all Forester sales, not just XT sales.

My original posting alluded to just XT sales, but that was incorrect. I thought I had posted an update on that?

Bob
    I went yesterday, and there's a new '09 LL Bean Forester in Sage Green on display. Best news is that it's open for anyone to sit in. It's a HUGE improvement over the outgoing model.

• Rear seat has two backrest positions
    • No roof rack cross bars. I guess they're now optional.
    • No cargo cover, probably because the cargo area now has tinted glass. Again must be optional.

Bad news is that there was no STI there! However, there was an new EVO there (but locked up), which was next to the Subie display.

Bob
    I think part of the strong reaction has to do with the fact that the XT will now only come with a 4 speed. RAV4 does also, but most competitors have moved to 5 speed autos or CVTs. Subaru is lagging here.

So it's not just that the manual is gone, but also that the lone choice is pretty much bottom-of-the-barrel automatic. I don't think anyone makes a 3 speed any more.

Any how, most customers don't even know how many ratios their transmission has, they just want it to shift smoothly. Some newer 6 speeds are actually giving Toyota more problems, with hunting, indecision, etc. I guess it's harder to come up with a shift map with so many choices.

At least we can hope it's tried-and-true and reliable.

At one point we owned 3 cars, all manuals, but now one's an auto and pretty soon 2 of them will be. I prefer to drive a manual when I choose to drive, but an auto when I have to drive (in traffic).
    Also, the new Forester was drawing a LOT of attention, and all the comments I heard were very positive.

Bob
    I don't dispute the advantages of driver involvement and control as well as, in most cases, better fuel economy offered by manuals, either. What I find bothersome is the view that somehow the lack of a clutch pedal - even when the driver can still select gears manually - makes a car somehow less performance-oriented.

Ed- I think the fuel economy gap between the two is pretty much gone now. There’s still usually an initial cost advantage to buying a manual and many argue that they’re cheaper to repair but then you don’t have to replace the clutch with an automatic.

However, I think the perception that an automatic is less performance-oriented has, for the most part, been historically accurate. Many of your higher-end sports cars have traditionally only been offered with a manual. Meanwhile until recently, relatively crude 3 & 4 speed automatics dominated the market. Now with automatics getting 5, 6 or more gears and the greater proliferation of various "sport-shift" options, the gap in perceived performance has certainly dwindled. The increasing sophistication of the automatic is no doubt a big contributor to the ever shrinking availability of the manual transmission.

-Frank
    Again, though, it's not like Subaru's automatic has 7-8 ratios like the most advanced ones, or DSG, etc.

At least it finally gets SportShift.
    News here is still rather sparse, but here's a few things I did learn from the teaser brochure:

• Telescopic steering wheel XT models only—really strange...

• NAV optional only on LL Bean and XT

• X Premium pretty much the same as now.

• Base X models get 16" wheels

• Base models don't get reclining rear seat or fold-out rear seat cupholders

Bob
    Current (2007) base models carry big incentives. I think they want to keep it under $20 grand street price, to they really limited the content on the base models.

The Premium package seems to add a lot, and each level adds incrementally more content.

I'm happy because we're looking at an LL Bean model, probably, so it gets a lot of the stuff the base model does not.
    Bob- But what about the thousand dollar question... what's the rear seat legroom like now?

-Frank
    Much better.

Although I couldn't adjust the driver's seat, as it's power, and the battery was disconnected. I did, however, adjust the front passenger seat, and in doing so, was able to get a good read on the rear seat room.

It was too bad that there wasn't also an '08 model there to directly cross-compare the two.

Bob
    I'm going on Saturday and I'll take my camera with me.

I'll try to catch photos of the max, minimum, and me sitting-behind-myself leg room.

Any other requests?

I may take a tape measure.
    Yes definitely measure the distance between the back of the front seat and the front edge of the back seat (with the front seat in the furthest back position).

-Frank
    Could be a problem if juice can't get them to hook up the battery.

Bob
    Not if the front passenger seat is manually adjustable.

-Frank
  • gouldngouldn Member Posts: 220
    I'm a very occasional poster here ... I have an 01 S+ with 128K miles. Other than an unfortunate head gasket replacement at 107K, I have had nothing but good luck with the car. During my ownership, I also bought a 2005 Accord V6 Coupe, and much prefer the Forester ... yes it's slower, but two things really make it work for me: (1) turning radius (2) outstanding visibility. I strongly believe people don't pay enough attention to these attributes. The Accord has terrible visibility, which makes it frankly less fun to merge and park. The Forester is liking driving in a fish bowl, and I can park this thing in the tightest parking spots in downtown SF. I leave the Accord at home when going in to SF.

The newer smaller SUV's seem to be using 'stylish' rear quarter panel windows which cause a nice blind spot. I don't think they look that much better, why not allow the driver to see?? I'm glad to see Subaru didn't follow in this annoying trend.

So I need to test drive it to be sure the turning radius is as small as they say, but this seems like the perfect replacement for my 01.
    Worst case if anyone needs anything measured there will be an LLBean 09 Forester on the first leg of the 48hrs of Tristate. I will try to get as many pics of it on and off road :)

-mike
    http://48hrs.info
  • gocerygettengocerygetten Member Posts: 13
    I have a few questions on the new forester and I hope some one might know. Is a sunroof going to be in every forester but the base , and will there be more DARK interior colors avalable with exterior colors??? I think Subaru thinks all drivers are 5 foot 8 and wear a suit to work I am 6 foot 4 and work in a factory ( a very dirty factory) Would like a new Subaru but dont want a base model with tan interior. Might have to look at another brand because I cant keep this tan interior clean and would like more options than the base model.
    Don't know all model content specs yet. Subaru usually gives two interior color choices per model.

Bob
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Since you offered - I'd like to see how much room there is between the brake pedal top, and the bottom of the steering wheel.

I don't need you to take a tape measure or anything, but many vehicles make it tough for people with long legs to lift their right foot off the gas, and move it over to the brake, without hitting the bottom of the steering wheel with their right knee. Some cars are worse than others - I just sat in a '08 Outback Sport, and it wasn't too bad. But my Highlander is really bad. The steering wheel seems far away from my shoulders, and so, too close to my leg.

If there's a Turbo model, perhaps you could also tell us how much adjustability (fore and aft) there is with the telescopic steering wheel.
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Some things I'd like to know.
    Width of the second row seat (is it wider?).
    Center seating position in the second row. Is it comfortable?
    With the second row folded, are there any gaps/holes (like old foresters) and is the carpet well fastened to the second row seat back? (unlike 01 outback)

I have 3 kids so second row space and comfort beyond just leg room is important.

For the leg room measurement you might want to measure from back of the front seat to the backrest of the second row seat. Otherwise just a small change in the seat cushion in the second row makes it appear like there is more leg room. Besides the seat cushion is ussually too short for my long legs anyway(6'4") and doesn't support far enough out.
    OK, so let's see if I got this straight...

We all want to know rear seat space, from the back of the front seat to the rear seat back. Near the top, maybe around shoulder level or so, Frank? Hmm, maybe I'll do a video and put it up on YouTube. I think that might give people a better idea.

The test I usually do it sit behind myself, and see if I can move my knees. On the old one they would hit the front seats.

I will take photos with me in the seat as well. I'm 6', 30" inseam, about 205#, so a pretty good 80th percentile male for size. I'll put my 2 kids there, too, since that's how most people will use the seats.

My legs are not that long, just 30" inseam, though I wear my pants low. But I'll try to capture the pedal-to-steering wheel space as well. Do you want me to tilt the wheel all the way up? Telescope it all the way out? I believe the LL Bean that is there has tilt/telescope wheel.

I may go on Sunday. My daughter has a hoops game at 11am on Saturday, so it sort of splits the day in half, leaving less time. I have to check the hours.

gouldn: Subaru did with the 06-07 Tribeca, but they fixed that for 08, mostly.