Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• w8ifiw8ifi Member Posts: 78
    Most likely some ice had built up, turned to water or slush and centrifugal force of the spinning wheel trapped it in the wheel, when you stopped it had time to drain. It's happened to me.

Jim
  • w8ifiw8ifi Member Posts: 78
    A consumer magazine several years ago made a comment about the tendency to slide out on snow or ice. I have the same problem with my 97 impreza. I'm careful to not accelerate until I'm around the corner and going straight. City right angle streets have to be handled carefully. You have two "G' forces at right angles to each other on the rear wheels. So it's easy to break traction. I've never had a problem on wet pavement just snow or ice covered. Without extra weight it can fishtail easily. Any added weight over the rear wheels must be tied down securely because at 60 miles an hour a 200# weight equals many tons of moving force if it breaks loose in a collision. We've had some eggheads put concrete blocks in the back of their pickups, get in a collision and the blocks flew right through the cab taking the drivers head with it. Juice is a lot smarter than me, I bet he could figure out the force of a bag of concrete or solid in a sudden stop from 50 miles an hour.
    Also, for all cars,slush is completely unpredictable. Traction one minute and none the next. Ice is next for caution. Wouldn't trade my Subie for anything in winter driving.
    "Snowbound"....Jim
    Jim
  • billwvbillwv Member Posts: 48
    Back in the '60's and 70's when most cars were still rear wheel drive, the first thing you learned when driving on ice or snow was not to accelerate on turns.

I am not a physicist but it would seem to me that in a turn on a very slippery surface, power to the rear (even if there is more power to the front) could cause a spin out, especially if both front and back are slipping.

Unless I have the road to myself, when slippery, I have learned to be extra cautous. There are so many "crazies" out there with gigantic pickups and SUV's that they think can do anything. I have yet to try my '09 in the snow, but I am sure it will do better than almost anything else out there. I would also bet that Subaru drivers drive better than most out there.

Love this Forester.

Bill
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    I had that vibration a couple of times this summer. It turned out it was mud &/or dirt on the tires. One time, it was dry dirt, or rocks in the tread, no water involved to help it stick. The car wheels are very susceptible to balance issues.

When I had my car into the "new" dealer yesterday, he happened to mention about the tire balance issue... And the fact that the ice/dirt has a tendency to build up on the inside of the tire. He told me how another customer came in and he chipped the ice/snow buildup off the inside of the tire, and the customer drove away with no more issues.

So, svskyus, I'm wondering if you may not have been able to see the buildup on your tire if it was on the inside...but, that after you stopped a second time, it had fallen off?

On a similar line, I would love to hear from those with the 16" tires to see if they are having the same issues??? I'm curious whether this could all be a "clearance in the wheel well" problem that causes the build-up. (I have the 17" tires.)
    OK, My car is hitting all the TSA's out there...or things subaru knows about and will fix. Here are 2 more:

The "new dealer" will be repainting the area near the wheel wells where the GM material was too small on my car. (Any of the older 09 Foresters will probably have to do this eventually.) If you don't have the chips on your car in that area yet, they will just replace the GM material for you.

There is also a greasy type of film that develops on the windshield and side windows that appears to come from the defroster. It was really bad while driving in a snowstorm, as you can't just wipe it off, you have to wash it off. :( Otherwise, it comes right back and it is like driving through a haze on the inside of your windshield.

Turns out, so I was told, the dash is off-gassing with the heat from the defroster. It will take a while for this to go away. Until then, you have to wash your windshield (every day or so). Subaru does have some sort of wash that the dealer said worked no better than Windex. But, I may just have to try the wash, as I am tired of cleaning my windshield. I asked the dealer if the off-gassing in toxic. They said no, but I am skeptical.

I will try to get Subaru to tell me what type of material is coming off the plastic. I don't want to be breathing it, no matter what it is. :sick: You can also smell this oily type smell on a regular basis with the defroster on. sometimes a gas smell. I don't know if these are related???
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Meguiars makes a window cleaner that contains an anti-hazing compound. It's one of the few window cleaners out there that will remove oily haze.

Vinyl is an excessive outgasser that can fog windows. I don't know f Subaru used vinyl-based tubing in the defroster system.
    I have another update on the Map Light issue. I talked to the "new dealer" about putting in a switch for the map light, so I could have it work normally in the winter months and not be on all the time in the summer months when the doors are open a lot (worried about losing the battery).

It is just one wire that can be plugged or unplugged. This is located (generally) under the glove box by removing 2 panels. Well, he just untapped the wire, then moved it so the connectors are accessible with the plastic panels back in place! :shades:

This is a great solution as the wires are out of the way and you don't really see them, yet, they are easily accessible to connect/disconnect whenever I want! Yeah! And I didn't have to pay to have a switch put in! :shades:
    Thanks,Kurt.

Perhaps that is what Subaru is using as their "solution". I might just go back to the dealer to get some...
  • svskyussvskyus Member Posts: 10
    Thanks sgloon for the ideas. It is very possible that it was ice buldup that I could not see. BTW I am running 16" wheels for the snow tires, instead of the normal 17" ones.

The Hankook winter tires are fantastic, got my car out of a snow drift, when I left my car for 3 weeks while on a trip. Car was parked down a steep driveway, had to shovel my way to the door, then just backed up the driveway thru 10" of crusty snow and ice.. Thought that I would have to spend the day shoveling the drive. ;)
  • connieyleeconnieylee Member Posts: 29
    Serious bad luck...I bought and picked up my new 2009 Forester X Limited on Monday, stayed overnight at a hotel, and woke up to a huge shatter crack on my windshield on Tues morning. I just wanted to know if there's anything in particular I need to pay attention to when they replace it, since it's a heated windshield. Will I have warranty problems if there are problems with the heating mechanism later on because I'm not getting it done at a dealer? The quote from the dealer was $900 while the one from the glass guy through the insurance company was $350-$400. I stopped by the glass guy and he's one of those places that's been operating for over 50 years, and he seems very reliable. But he's not going to order the windshield from Subaru so I'm assuming it's an aftermarket part....
    Have you called the Subaru 800# for roadside assistance to see if they will take care of it? It is located on your driver side window. (Or in the manual) If they call someone, then any repair would definitely be covered under warranty.

I think it would be worth a try to see if it would be covered. If not, the roadside service may cover it as well.

Worth a shot?

If you get the aftermarket window, another thing I would look at is if they have that black crisscross shading stuff on the window which is located up by the rearview mirror. It is a big help with the sun, and also, I'm not sure if it may have something to to with the XM radio antenna???
  • pgb0517pgb0517 Member Posts: 84
    Does anybody know of a way to have power to the outlets while the car is parked, no key in the ignition? Our van has this and it is very handy to let phones charge and let our thermoelectric cooler do its job while we're traveling. We've never had battery problems using this feature.
    if the glass shattered __by itself__ (no obvious impact on it) then it could be a warranty issue.
    I've heard some very loud "cracks" on occasion come from the windshield area. So far, no glass cracks have appeared as a result.

BTW if anyone knows the TSB number for the rear side shields, I would appreciate knowing. I'm seeing rock damage on the clear bra material Subaru had put there, but the patches are very small and it's only a matter of time before the paint back there gets clobbered.
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    TSB for rear door chips is 13-87-08. My wife's car had some chipping issues on the rear door, but the dealer told me this TSB only applied to early 09s and that the TSB adds the clear material that comes on current 09s (going back several months) and which only cover a small area. The dealer wasn't eager to actually let me read the TSB. Good luck.
    Here is copy of the TSB verbatum:

Service Bulletin #13-87-08
    Pages: 4
    Bulletin Description: Chipping of paint from road debris is inevitable and unavoidable. This is especially true in areas where heavy salt or cinders are used for traction and also areas where stones and other debris are present, such as construction zones, beach areas, etc.

We have found some extreme cases of chipping on 2009 Forester rear door area that is beyond the protected film coverage installed at the factory. Therefore, the size and thickness of the protected film has been increased to provide a larger area of protection under normal driving conditions.

The purpose of this bulletin is to describe the corrective action to be taken when encountering a vehicle that exhibits this paint chipping condition.
    ---------------------------------------
    Dealer #1 avoided the issue entirely with me. Dealer #2 has scheduled a new paint job and application of the protective film. He has also scheduled to give me a loaner car while the work is being done. No issues whatsoever with dealer #2, he just looked at it, said yep, that needs to be taken care of.

Snowbelter, perhaps you have another dealer nearby? And yes, the "older" 09s are covered, but I think that matters whether you have the small or large piece of film on your car rather than when you actually purchased it.
  • orcorc Member Posts: 39
    I've put our 2009 Forester through the paces now. I've given this critter Hell and here's the results. We've had it in 120 temps and -15 temps. It's been subjected to sever winter snows. (see pic below). It's been in bad off road conditions and long hard highway trips. Here's my latest and honest opinion about the 2009 Forester.

Paint and interior materials are garbage. Materials wear out fast and paint is thin and scratches easily. On even slightly rough roads anything anywhere inside that's not tightened down will rattle and drive you nuts.For a tall person entrance into the drivers seat seat is a pain.Exit is not so bad.

Handling in snow and ice is good but not with the terrible stock Yokohama tires. Get rid of those if you can. Suspension is superb for a small car. Moon roof is fantastic - love it. Turning radius is the best - love it. Parke darn near anywhere you want to put it. Mileage is good but could be better.

Would I buy it knowing what I know now? I don't know. Maybe not. I'm a Jeep guy so I'd probably get a another Wrangler now that the price of gas is lower - Not sure. It's a nice vehicle and different but it's not so great it's better than everything else. I'd say get a Jeep and pay for the extra gas but then if gas goes back up... well, I just dunno. LOL

Our driveway on Saturday. SE Alaska

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    my windshield with the heated elements on my 09 Forester also cracked . I heard a loud bang I think from a rock in the road. My insurance Company relpaced it with a Subaru Windshield as no after market ones were available in July. The heated elements and all work fine.
    Burrr! Looks chilly in Alaska!

Re:"Paint and interior materials are garbage. Materials wear out fast and paint is thin and scratches easily"

I totally agree. This is the biggest disappointment of the car so far. I had my last Subaru for 22 years and it had less scratches/scrapes etc on the inside & out than this car has in less than 6 months. I doubt this one will last anywhere near the old one's life.

I wish they had decided to build a quality car. Metal and paint are thin. Plastic is way to soft for everyday use. Just poor materials overall. :lemon: Unfortunately, this was the best car to suit my needs on the market today. And still is, so I still have to love it until someone else comes up with something better. At least the engine and drive train are the same as previous years...

Than again, perhaps Subaru will recognize these issues and warranty them for us with a total recall to replace the plastic & other lacking materials. ;) Just hoping!!!
  • billwvbillwv Member Posts: 48
    Its all about pricing versus the competition -- they have to cut somewhere.

Its unfortunate, but, I still feel the pluses out number the minuses. No scratches, yet, but I am afraid to touch the mudguards -- they look like they could fall off at any time.

Still no meaningful snow here to test what this car is made of!

Bill
    Bill Visnics' comments about Subaru, posted in AutoObserver 12/31/08:

"I'm missing something, because the herd press generally fawns about this tractor that looks cheap, drives cheap and has a brazenly cheap interior.

Subaru's scamming and nobody's calling 'em on it. The opposed 4-cylinder engine is unusual, but it's a gas-sucker - the best a Forester does is 20/27 with a manual and it gets as crummy as 19/24 for the turbo/auto - and this subaru forester engine ain't all that refined, either. And speaking of the automatics, these guys are still out there in the year 2009 with a pre-Cambrian 4-speeder for the Forester, Motor Trend's SUV of the Year. "

It seems people either like this car or hate it. I can agree with aspects of the interior - The arm rest and center console paint's easy to scratch and I suspect will wear off really easily. The mud flaps are wierd. But ok, while here's only 4 speeds in the AT, but they seem pretty darn well matched; I've driven 5-speed AT's that were far worse. And the engine generally idles smoother than my Camry or Malibu did.

Comments?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The dash assembly on the Forester is the same as my WRX, and all Imprezas—which I like. I think makes good business sense. Why have two different dash assemblies for different model lines if one that's well designed can make do for both?

Having said that, Subaru on these models unfortunately has reverted to using hard plastic for the dash, sun visors and door panels. That results in a distinctly low-rent feeling that runs counter to these car's outstanding mechanical quality. I really think Subaru shot themselves in the foot here by using all that hard (cheap feeling) plastic.

This could easily be rectified by using a plastic that has a soft rubber-like give to it. I recently sat in a Toyota Venza, and it's got a soft rubber-like dash covering. That makes all the difference in the world as to the impression of quality, or lack-there-of.

Bob
  • nlbionlbio Member Posts: 1
    Hi - any one know why the subaru forester 2009 battery dies if you leave the car parked for 2.5 wks to 3 wks?

seems like a bad flaw.
    It could have happened if any of the doors weren't fully closed. Or if any of the light switches were in the "on" position.

I lost the battery after only 3 or 4 days. When unloading some stuff from the hatch area something must have inadvertently hit the switch (that sticks out rather than being recessed.) Don't know why they put that type of switch it. It is very easily moved as well. No resistance to help you know it was inadvertently hit.

Don't know if either of these could have been your situation, but you can't always tell by looking at the outside of the car that one of the doors may not be fully latched. And, if it is daylight out, you typically won't notice one of the lights being on unless you are looking for it.

Hope this helps.
    I guess I just don't put my hands on the dash all the time to feel the softness. Not sure what the fuss here is. It looks good. I think the armrests are comfortable. I suppose time will tell if the plastics wear well.
    It just feels cheap. Many Chrysler products (and others) have gotten hammered for this very reason—the hard cheap feeling plastic in the interior.

Bob
    Maybe the Forester doesn't bug me so much because our other car is a Focus. Talk about cheap interior (except for the leather-wrapped steering wheel). The thing on the Forester that does bother me is the sun visor. Since I have to touch it, I notice the cheapness, not to mention its lack of an extension. The cloth next to the door armrests is a nice touch. The leather on the steering wheel has a dry feel compared to the more supple-feeling leather on my Focus wheel. But I think the appearance of the colors and textures on the Forester is nice. Maybe they were trying to compensate by looks for the actual feel of the materials. We also have a Town & Country mini-van, again with leather wheel, and it is a mixed bag.
    But I've never had anything as bad as my early-80s Malibus. Talk about cheap. The plastics and vinyl seats all faded to different colors and pretty much disintegrated on contact after a few years.
    I agree. I have no problems with the styling of the Forester (or Impreza) interior. It's when you happen to touch the visor, door panels or dashboard, that feeling of cheapness comes through.

Now I drive an '09 WRX. I think the Forester may be a notch up on the Impreza when it comes to the door panels.

Bob
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    If the windshield cracked while parked (and you're sure it wasn't vandalism), I'd definitely try and see if Subaru will cover it as a warranty issue. If you do end up going with an aftermarket windshield, make sure it has the heating elements ($350-400 sounds pretty low).

-Frank
  • PanosPanos Member Posts: 14
    The windshield on the Forester seems weak and easily damaged! I've had the car for 5 months and it was fine right up until the first major snow storm and since it has a chip and a small crack along with a couple long scratch's from ice on by windshield wipers. So much for the windshield de-icer option..i have to have the blades adjusted since they don't sit on the windshield where it warms up, they sit on top of it...seems like most of the 09's have this issue with the wipers not aligned with the de-icer. I'll have this fixed next time i take it in for an oil change. Other then that, it unstoppable in the snow with winter tires! Perfect car for winter weather.

My 05' Pathfinder also had a cheap windshield. That also got chipped and scratched very easily. Maybe i was used to my previous BMW's that seemed to have a much stronger windshield and never had one scratched from the wipers.
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    CHERRY HILL, N.J. (AP) -- Subaru said Monday its U.S. sales crept higher in 2008, making the Japanese manufacturer poised to be the only major automaker to post a yearly sales increase.

Subaru was the first automaker to report sales on Monday. Its December sales fell 7.7 percent to 17,287 units from 18,739 in December 2007, as a big increase in Forester sales failed to overcome declines in its remaining models.

But Subaru sales for all of 2008 rose by 0.3 percent to 187,699 vehicles from 187,208 in 2007, as consumers snapped up its top-selling Forester and Impreza models. The company is set to be the only major automaker to report higher sales for 2008, as the troubled economy pummeled new car sales across the industry.

Subaru said Forester sales surged 36.4 percent in 2008. The company's updated 2008 model-year Forester was named sport/utility of the year in December by Motor Trend magazine. The automaker also said sales of its Legacy and Impreza models climbed in 2008, offsetting double-digit sales declines of Outback wagons and Tribeca SUVs.

"In a difficult market, we were able to establish new sales records for Forester, Impreza and Legacy sedan and also record our highest market share ever," said Tim Colbeck, vice president of sales for Subaru of America, said in a statement.

The broader industry is set to post steep 2008 sales declines on Monday. For the first 11 months of 2008, every major automaker reported lower sales with the Detroit Three posting the biggest drops.

A handful of smaller automakers -- including Mini and luxury names like Rolls Royce and Maserati -- posted higher sales as of November, though their volumes are significantly smaller.
  • connieyleeconnieylee Member Posts: 29
    Thanks all, for the input.
    Unfortunately Subaru would not include the windshield in the warranty. But my insurance company's glass repair company informed me that it's still not available as an aftermarket part, so I get the Subaru part. Maybe the windshield isn't that strong after all...it is backordered for a month!!!! I just hope it stays in one piece until it can be replaced... Interesting fact: I bought the car in MD, so I took it to the MD dealer's service and they quoted me $1000 just for the part. They called my local dealer in NJ and they quoted me $700 just for the part. Wow!
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    offsetting double-digit sales declines of Outback wagons and

The Forester should be taking Outback sales: Forester has 4" more front-to-back seat room and 2" more back seat width + more cargo room.

And, of course, is about $2,000 cheaper and is shorter to park. If I were buying today it would be a Forester Limited instead of my Outback 3.0R.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    The off-gassing is par for the course with new vehicles. Though I have read that Subaru is among the highest for off-gassing (read this years ago, would have to hunt for the source), the gasses themselves are only mildly toxic so you would need to be exposed to them in high doses/long periods to significantly increase your risk of health issues as a result. I have heard recommendations to limit use of recirculation mode on new cars to increase the exchange of air and keep gas levels low, etc.

I noticed significant residue build up on my two new Outbacks, an 07 and 08. The buildup was quite troublesome, as glass cleaners were not usable for up to half of the year due to low temperatures. I would keep a good, dry rag handy to wipe down the inside surfaces of the glass. The residue was still there, but it would eliminate the haze if repeated regularly. On broken-in vehicles, Subaru included, I have not had a problem with a windshield haze, but I am not sure how long it takes for the the off-gassing to finally subside.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • damelerdameler Member Posts: 2
    What a rattle trap!! I am having the same door rattles with my 09 forester. Have they come up with a solution yet. What has been done thus far. My dealer has pretty much blown me off. I am also having a lot of noise from the foam around the spare.
  • camrytimes2camrytimes2 Member Posts: 31
    Someone wrote an entry in a Forester forum a few days ago stating that dealerships now have a service bulletin regarding door rattles. There is a white waffle-like piece of plastic in each front door that needs to be secured.
  • damelerdameler Member Posts: 2
    thanks!! I will see what the dealer will do.
    "I have heard recommendations to limit use of recirculation mode on new cars".

Thanks for this recommendation, xwesx, sounds like a good idea, both for my health and not gassing up the windows too much.

I have had other people in the car and they say they have never seen this amount on any car they have been in. It certainly didn't happen on my last new car. And you can see that whatever it is is getting on the plastic parts and even the rear side windows...ie it is going everywhere.

I have tried the rag, but it doesn't work as the film that develops is too "greasy" so it just smears it over the window...and actually can make it worse. Visibilty during snow storms/rain etc is compromised cuz of the smearing. I'm looking for the McGeiuars (sp?) that Kurt recommended to see if that works better than windex. Whatever the dealer used to get it off didn't work much better than windex, as when they were done, there were still smears. Subaru recommends Gunk window cleaner, but it is not sold in my area, so that doesn't do me any good.

I have an appt scheduled on Wednesday, to have another look at it. this dealer, when he heard about the smells, though something else may be going on that could take some time to fix...So if he finds anything, I'll report back after my visit.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Try Glass Plus and use black and white newspaper to wipe up instead of paper towels.

Usually, outgassing of plasticizers happens only in warm/hot weather when the car sits out in the sun and the dashboard gets very hot. You may have a different issue of coolant seeping into your heater core and then vapors being blown into the passenger compartment by the fan.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    I should note that I did have this problem with my '96 Outback, when I had a small coolant leak. The results were similar, though I found removing the residue was far easier than the new-car off-gas residue. I just used Windex, but I sure had to scrub it to get a good result!

Regarding the hot weather, I purchased the '08 in Seattle October of 2007, and had it in some weather that was around 80 degrees several days, so it would get hot enough inside while sitting that I would open it up for a few seconds before entering. There was a slight film after three weeks, when I prepared to drive back up to Alaska, so I cleaned the inside of the windows. However, upon arrival in Fairbanks (after only five more days) and having to use the defroster constantly for about 1500 miles, it was hazing over and was far worse than the film that had formed over the previous three weeks being exposed to intermittently warm (hot for me!) weather.

As was suspected by the original poster, I think that the HVAC materials are probably adding significantly to the haze - perhaps it is a lube being used on parts in there?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    My servicing dealer showed me the TSB for the rear fender protectors, and the new plastic strips are way bigger than what shipped on '09 XT. They've ordered those parts so hopefully this will get fixed before the paint in that area is damaged (one current guard strip is already dinged).

As for door rattles, they are fixing them again (rattles came back in very cold weather). Turns out the '09 Loaner I have also has door rattles (I can here them buzzing from time to time) - looks like a weak spot in this car.

As for annoying overhead creaks from around the light console, the loaner has that too (shows up when defroster is heating windshield or when roof warms up). In my '09, I ended up applying a "creeping" silicon adhesive to the black tang inside the opening where lights mount (just above the mirror, the tang's "secured" by a single gray plastic plug that allows plastic of headliner to creak against roof). The adhesive makes the creep gradual rather than sudden, and so far :blush: , I've not heard any more creaks.

A pity there's way too much badly matched plastic in this car. Maybe Subaru will do better in '10.
  • gjksngjksn Member Posts: 35
    For the filmy windshield, you might try Invisible Glass. I think it's by Stoner, and I've had pretty good luck with it after trying many others. Spent a load on special glass cleaning liquid and microfiber towels/wipes from Griot's, and they were worthless. Invisible Glass was a big improvement over all of the usual glass cleaners as well as the Griot's stuff. I've had my best luck with IG by using it with cotton flour sack towels -- fewer streaks.
    Invisible Glass is made by Stoner, and does get rid of film. However, you have to be careful wiping it off as it can leave its own residue behind. Sometimes I use it first, followed by another glass cleaner to get rid of the Invisible Glass residue.

Regular Windex and most of the canned sprays are useless against emission film. I found that out by the champion of window foggers, a '96 Geo (Chevy) Prism with black interior. That car, parked in hot sun, would fog its windows in a matter of minutes. :surprise:
    the Loaner Forester I had during the door rattle fix was built 1/08, so it is roughly the same age as mine (almost 1 year old per build date). It had all the problems mine did (door rattles, roof creaks, rear seat rattles, limited fender protection).

It took a little getting used to the natural aspirated engine as, by comparison to the XT, it proved more hair-trigger from standing starts (caught me off guard a couple of times :surprise: ), but much weaker when trying to pass at 40 - 50 mph. Part of that's from different final drive ratio (much higher in the naturally aspirated .vs. the XT).
  • redrose1redrose1 Member Posts: 49
    Would all these rattles you've experienced deter you from recommending the 09 Forester? In other words, knowing what you do about its problems, would you have bought it in the first place?
    If I had heard the rattles initially, It would have given me some pause, yes, as I hate interior rattles and squeaks. The '08 Outbacks I drove had numerous dash rattles which were a factor against it.

However, these rattles were not in my '09 XT when first delivered. They've showed up over time. The '09 X loaner I drove had same # of miles as mine, was built in same time frame, and had the same rattles.

Hopefully the dealers' and my fixes will quiet this XT down. And for those in Portland, OR, the dealer I visit most is Royal Moore Subaru in Hillsboro - these folks do very good service work.
  • jopopsyjopopsy Member Posts: 65
    Hey Gang,

Recently I have noticed that when I fill up the tank, my fuel gauge will only go to about 7/8s of the way to 'F'.

I've tried different gas stations/pumps but I can't seem to get the needle pinned at 'F' anymore.

My assumption is the tank is full but the gauge is off (bad float maybe?). I'm assuming a trip to the dealer is in order?

Thanks in advance.

Jopopsy
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    How cold is it with you? Every vehicle I've ever owned squeaks and rattles in the winters here, even new Toyotas - GASP!! Those squeaks almost all go away in the warmer months. Do you own other vehicles? Are they squeaking too?
    Temperature is a factor, for sure. Temps here range from low 20's to 90's. XT has some creaks/rattles no matter what temperature it is, but they may be a little worse in cold weather. Some creaks are due to mismatched plastics, others to metal / plastic contact.

I've driven Lexuses with dashboard creaks, so no car is immune. My '83 Camry dashboard was a buzz fest until all joints I could get to were silicon-rubbered. The worst ever were Saturn ION's, which rattled and buzzed incessantly no matter what; Saturn admitted they built cheapo interiors.
  • robm2robm2 Member Posts: 53
    No persistent rattles in our '09 F-XT, 4000 miles on the odo. Maybe we're lucky, (so far - knock on wood). Temps ranged from -35F to +100F, since we've owned it.

We had, (and sold prior to getting the '09 F-XT) a VW Jetta that had a horribly annoying rattle behind the dashboard dimmer and left air vent. We had it into the dealer 3 times, and still was never quite fixed. It also leaked yellow goo out the doors for 8 straight years, whenever it got very hot out, but that's another story.

Rattles can drive you crazy - I know your pain.
    This just happened to me for the first time with my last fill up. I was hoping it was a fluke???