Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    This model has shown up at the Montreal Auto show. Discussion was very brief.
    The engine was a pzev 170 HP with either 5 speed manual or 4 speed auto.
    ...just as it is for 2009 in the USA.
    No mention of CVT or 5 speed auto.

You can read about it at auto123.com. Perhaps later this week there will be more information.
  • redrose1redrose1 Member Posts: 49
    Do you know when the 2010 Forester will be available in canada ? Also, would you mind informing us of the changes it will have when you know? Curious if it will have Bluetooth, electric passenger seat, etc!!!

Thank you!
    While getting the final fix for the rear gravel shields (dealer had to send vehicle to body shop for proper fit - work was well done this time), they loaned me an X-premium, the same one I had driven about 3 weeks earlier, and which was OK.
    The temperature was about 10 degrees lower than last loan (in the low thirties .vs. low 40's).

This time, over every bump, the same X-premium squeaked and rattled inside as if it was falling apart. The loudest noise was coming from the central console just above the boot for the parking brake. Once that console got thoroughly warmed up, the squeaking calmed down.

There were lots of other interior squeaks and rattles (center armrest, dash, some in doors, some in headliner); surprisingly bad compared to my XT.

Other than temperature, I have no idea what else could have caused things to loosen up that much in three weeks.
    For those who are curious about the new rear gravel shields, I've seen them applied two ways:

1. starting just behind the large crease in the rear fender, so the plastic stops just at the point of the crease, remaining flat from there to the wheel well,

2. starting so that an inch of the front of shield is formed to follow the contours of the fender crease, then become flat backwards to the wheelwell.

Approach 2 protects more of the fender, but is much harder to apply (I've no idea how the body shop formed the plastic to fit the crease).

How do other's shields fit on their Foresters? :confuse:
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Re: The dash

What owners are talking about regarding the dash and the other plastic parts in the car will not be apparent just driving the car around. I didn't think there was anything to complain about until I started really using the car. Putting things in it etc. After a couple of camping trips (and I tend to be pretty neat and careful, especially with the new car), There are all sorts of scratches and places where the plastic gray material has been removed by something hitting it. This is both in the rear cargo compartment and on the passenger side dash area. Even the glove box with the silvery gray color is scratched down to the next color (ie very thin coating on there),

In comparison, my old subie, which was 27+ years old and lived a full life, had no marks on the vinyl dash/rear cargo compartment. The same gear was put in both cars with dramatically different results. And after 27 years, I just don't worry about that stuff as much as I do with a new car that I want to keep looking nice for quite a while.

Somehow, this new plastic or vinyl, or whatever the material is, is a lot softer, so it scratches and peels up when just about anything touches it.
    Still waiting to get mine back from the shop. It has been a week and a half, so far.
  • HambrosHambros Member Posts: 3
    The door/window lock switches and mirror control don't light on the drivers side door of our 2.5x w/ premium all-weather pkg. All other doors have no window switch lighting at all. The only thing that lights on the driver's side door are the power window levers. Are the other switches/control levers suppose to light? Also no light in glovebox? What's up? I wish I had test driven this vehicle at night.
    On '09 XT the window switches are lit irregardless of outside light settings (you can see them glow red in tunnels and other dark places).
    There are apparently no lights for other door switches, nor the glovebox.

There's a new front footwell accessory kit that adds blue or red LED lighting to front foot-wells only. They're kinda bright but can be dimmed by panel control. Part cost's $40, but installation runs $140 or more (installation instructions were poor).
  • connieyleeconnieylee Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2009 Forester that's only a month old. The past few weeks I've been smelling some awful gas fumes when I start the car for the first time in the morning. I've seen posts from owners with older Subarus with fuel smell problems but none with 2009s. Plus, most others with fuel odor problems are complaining about the smell in the cab. I smelled it in the cab for about 3 days and since then haven't, but instead whenever I exit the car to let it warm up, it STINKS really badly of fumes outside the car. I've never smelled gas fumes so bad before, and I thought it was because I was warming it up in the garage, so I let it warm up outside and still smelled it all around the car. Anyone have an idea what I should be checking?
  • billwvbillwv Member Posts: 48
    Are you getting just bad exhaust smell or is it a "rotten egg" smell, i.e. hydrogen sulfide?

Bill
    Thanks Bill. It's a pretty rich fuel smell...like I'm at a gas station
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    You need to check and tighten the clamps to the fuel filter. My 04 had the same problem when it was brand new until all the fuel hose clamps were tightened.
    I have not experienced that. I was curious about the "rotten egg" smell which is associated with the catalytic converter and high sulpher in the gas.

Also, seems it is not just new exhaust, etc. burning in.

If you really have a heavy gas smell, take it to the dealer. I had this problem with my previous Toyota. They will want to eliminate any possiblity of a gas leak.

My 09 is PZEV and I do notice exhaust while outside removing snow while it warms up when it is very cold, but I would not call it extreme or unusual -- the PZEV is set to warm up very fast, and cold starts do get a very rich gas mixture.

Bill
    Will do. Does this happen in new cars just because the clamps weren't tightened enough when it was made?

Maybe I can raise my mpg!
    I don't know if it happens to most new cars, but it happened to mine. And it became very noticeable in colder weather, I guess due to the metal parts of the filter shrinking from the cold. Ever since they were tightened, the problem never occurred again.

I doubt you will see better MPG. It only takes a few droplets of gasoline to cause a strong smell.
  • montreal1montreal1 Member Posts: 12
    Service bulletin should be this one

NUMBER: SB-10-01-09 (2008 Impreza and 2009 Forester)

I do not have the complete text.

" ... The amount of oil elements in the rubber parts of the HVAC doors decreases in time. Therefore, in due time, this problem will disappear. During regular HVAC system use the time needed for the oil elements to completely vaporize is about fifteen months ..."

Regards
    I finally was able to test (play with) my 09 Forester in some meaningful snow -- 2.5x 4AT stock 16" tires.

I was very impressed with the performance.

My brother has an 07 CR-V which did well in the same situations, but my Forester was clearly better.

Only caution, if you are used to front wheel drive, over acceleration in turns can cause rear to spin out -- just like in the old days of rear wheel drive.

I know all this has been covered with prior posts, but I had to wait for snow before I could report.

Bill
    "Only caution, if you are used to front wheel drive, over acceleration in turns can cause rear to spin out -- just like in the old days of rear wheel drive."

Exactly what I found out with my '09 Forester XT.
    Even with winter tires it's easy to get the rear end to spin out on icy roads.
  • nysubbuyernysubbuyer Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2.5 forester limited and I notice some pinging after I drive it for a half hour. I hear it ping in the garage for a bit. I use 87 octane. I was curious if others were experiencing this as well and if they had any solutions.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Just to clarify, is the engine running or off? When you say you hear it pinging for a bit, how long is the engine running in the garage?
  • nysubbuyernysubbuyer Member Posts: 3
    It pings after I turn the engine off.
    Actually I've noticed the pinging too. It doesn't happen all the time though - I've only noticed it twice in a month of ownership. I have the same X-Limited.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    The pinging noises are just the metals (heat shields, etc) cooling down and contracting. Nothing to worry about.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    ^^^^^What xwesx said. It's totally normal. Turbos tend to run hotter so this cooling contraction is exagerrated. This is not the same as engine ping which occurs during high loads and is a bad thing.
    Well, my forester was in the shop for 2 weeks, just got it back. Here is the current update on the chemical fogging/oil smell issues:

Subaru had told me the Heater Gasket was going to be replaced. It wasn't. According to the dealer, they were told to have the regional rep go for a drive in it. He supposedly did not smell the oil smell, so there was nothing done, except they cleaned the windshield again. PPHHHTTTT!!! I'll be cleaning it again within a week after it gets cold again. (Luckily it is about 60F today and will be for the rest of the week. WooHoo!

So, it looks like I'm going to have to call Subaru again. They told me one thing (the gasket would be replaced) and then I guess the dealer was told something else. Not happy about this.
    I have my car back after 2 weeks in the shop.

The paint job was done by a local paint shop. They did a terrific job matching the color (Sage Green Metallic). The dealer had ordered the replacement film, but when it came in, the shop decided it was too small compared to the area that had already been pitted. So, the great news is, they put on a much bigger piece!!! Yeah, it is at least twice as large as the piece that is coming in on the new cars today and I'm thinking should cover the area where the paint was being pitted. It goes all the way down to the "runner" and all the way back to the wheel well. It also goes about 3" into that molding crease that Kurtamaxxxx mentioned. They did a nice job there as well, It looks like it is on really smooth!

So, I'm impressed with the job the local paint shop did in fixing this issue. YEAH!!!

I had a few other things done at the same time that were warranty items, including having some floor carpeting replaced as there had been a hole in it. I don't know who did the carpeting work, but it looks like the glue wasn't laid down everywhere, so the carpet is "lumpy" or comes away from (or sticks out from) the floor, the hump, etc.

I don't know if this is anything to worry about or not??? Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I have them re-glue the carpet??? I have no experience in this area and certainly would appreciate feedback.

Oh, Axtiera, thanks again for your recommendation to switch dealers. I am so much happier with this dealer!!! The service guy I deal with is really nice and listens. As I was leaving from picking up my car yesterday, the general manager of the dealership came out to talk to me and thank me for my business! That was a surprise! And a nice touch.
    Re: ""NUMBER: SB-10-01-09 (2008 Impreza and 2009 Forester)

I do not have the complete text.

" ... The amount of oil elements in the rubber parts of the HVAC doors decreases in time. Therefore, in due time, this problem will disappear. During regular HVAC system use the time needed for the oil elements to completely vaporize is about fifteen months ..." ""

Montreal,

This is the issue. When I was talking with the service guy he said the longest it should take to get rid of it was 15 months. However, I don't want to be sick for two winters.

So, Would you tell me where I might find the full write up on that service bulletin that you mentioned? Or does anyone else have the full text?

Thanks!
    I'm now deliberately running the defroster at full output from time to time to see if I can get my '09 XT's windshield to noticeably fog.
    So far, I've not seen what I saw during the now long gone cold snap in Portland OR (is 55 degrees today and no snow save on Mount Hood and in the Cascades).
    I'll keep trying just to be sure... :confuse:

Yes, the dealer can make a huge difference in service satisfaction. Within 10 miles I have an indifferent dealer, and a helpful dealer. Guess which one gets my business? ;)
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    After months of lurking & lusting, we took an 09 X-Limited AT out for a 20 mile test. I don't have much to say that has not already been said, but feel a need to express myself. :blush:
    Obviously the 09 has many siginificant improvements over my 03 XS - much better ride, less road noise, roomier, really liked the power leather seats (almost as good as our A4, cushions a little short, but OK for wifey & I who are both 5' 7"). Our 03 has better fore & aft visiblility (09 has higher glass & smaller mirrors), feels a bit gutsier (w 5 sp manual - it is probably just a feeling & not accurate), & corners flatter (with STi rear sway bar), but those are about the only things I prefer on 04. I was surprised that the while the road noise on 09 was much less the wind noise on 09 was not much less.

Although our 03 is just getting broken in (49K) we anticipate buying a new Forester in the next 6-18 months - may hold out longer to see if they will make below changes. We would love to see the passenger seat raised (or better yet adjustable height), round cup holders, slightly larger mirrors, and a 5 spd AT. I don't anticipate those will change with 2010 or 2011 models, but I can hope. So I will start using my Subaru Bucks card again, keep my eye out for rebates, and hope the folks at SOA will make some the changes that seem to be common gripes before 2012.

Does anyone know if the 09 XT has beefier sway bars than the X Limited model?

After that our next purchase will be selling our 04 A4 for a Honda Insight,

By the way, I heard today that Subaru was only car with increased sales for Jan 09, up %.. Under such circumstances it may be a while before SOA makes any changes and before those fabled rebates show up on the Forester! :(
    Thx for helping to diagnose, Kurt! :)

I hope for your sake that you don't have the same problem!
  • XpremdrvrXpremdrvr Member Posts: 4
    My girlfriend complained to me for a week that her new Forester had a bad rattle. At first I couldn't hear it, but then it was noticeable. She ranted about how a new car shouldn't do this and how disappointed she was. it was bothering her so much that she drove my car to work for two days. While in her car I found out that the noise was her sunglasses in the sunglasses holder. It was rattling but the acoustics made it seem like the noise was coming from the floor area. Once I removed it the noises stopped. I haven't told her yet because I really love driving this car. I will reveal the mystery soon. So if you can't find the source of your rattle, check your sunglasses holder. It just might be that simple.
  • prndldriverprndldriver Member Posts: 21
    Glad you had a good time on the test drive. We don't have the XT model, but we are able to move the passenger seat up and down. Lots of people have noted that it's oddly lower than the drivers, but you can adjust both seats. Good luck!
  • pgb0517pgb0517 Member Posts: 84
    How did you adjust the passenger seat? I didn't think you could do that even in the XT.
    If you can raise / lower the Passenger seat in the '09 XT I would be curious as to how it is done, as I have not found any adjustments so far.
    However, this is for USA XT's - overseas models may have such adjustments.
  • camrytimes2camrytimes2 Member Posts: 31
    204meca,

I agree with your suggested improvements and would also like to see Subaru tame the dual exhaust system noise and relocate the glaring yellow passenger air bag light. However, your final paragraph says it all. With Forester sales more than doubled compared with last year, Subaru has little motivation to fix what sales figures indicate "ain't broke".
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Thankyou for a fantastic contribution and very articulate insights regarding the 09 Forrester.

Question for the group:

How much of a discount should I expect for a 2009 Forrester Turbo with just a few options? MSRP should be $27,200 on a factory order.

With appreciation and kind regards,
    The only way I know of getting discount on the Forester XT is to be a COSTCO or other club member. That will give you a price somewhat under MSRP ($800 for me) but not at the magic "Invoice". However, I bought my XT before it won all those awards.

Only 6% of Forester production is turbo, which includes both XT and XT-Limited.
    Consumers Union made XT-Limited their top rated CUV, as did Motor Trend.
    It's a hot item.

BTW, at the Portland OR Auto Show (going from Feb 5 - 8, I think), there were _0_ Forester XT's on the floor (X-limited, X-Premium, Base were there). My guess is there were none to be had from local dealers at this time.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    In the Idaho area Turbo's are sitting for a long time.

Multiple dealers have offered me invoice which pretty much matches Edmunds pricing.

What I have seen in the forums is up to $1000.00 below invoice.

If anyone has any insight into better pricing please let me know.

With appreciation and kind regards,
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    thanks again for your recommendation to switch dealers

You're welcome, glad to hear they've had such a good start with your service.

I haven't told her yet because I really love driving this car

That is CLASSIC! I love it! :D That's a story I will share with friends and family.

Our windshield is OK, and I'm glad because my wife has horrible luck with those (I think she's had 3 break on her in her driving career).

Subaru Bucks - remember you can use these to pay for service. 60k, 90k whatever, but in $100 increments because you do not get change.

Heck, the Fitzgerald Body shop even accepted mine. Insurance reimbursed me. Ka-ching.

Billwv: thanks for sharing the direct comparo experience, nothing beats driving them in the real world.
    I goofed :surprise: .
    Here's the actual sales percentages posted by jeffmc from the cars101.com site:

Interesting info from Joe Spitz's site regarding allocations of each Forester trim:
    X Premium: 45%
    X: 26%
    LL Bean: 20%
    XT Ltd: 6%
    XT: 3%

Turbos made up 9% of sales for Forester.
    This was posted in the 2.5XT first drive topic by a poster who had written Subaru Canada regarding the AWD system.
    FYI, the Subaru folks at the Portland Auto Show were unable to offer percentages of Forester F/R power distribution.
    Here's Subaru Canada's response to the other poster:

Thank you for contacting Subaru Canada, Inc.

The Forester does not have a Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) centre differential. For the 2009 model year, the Forester 2.5XT includes a Multi-plate Transfer (MPT) System that adjusts torque from 60/40 (F/R) to 50/50 (or anywhere in-between) depending on throttle input, road conditions and input from the Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) System. VDC operates like most electronic stability control (ESC) systems in that it can adjust engine output, adjust individual brake pressure and even front rear torque distribution to retain/regain vehicle stability.

It is not possible for the system defeat the role of the centre differential and thus torque output will always be split between the front and rear differential. Meaning, the system cannot direct 100% of power to a single wheel - whether it be with VTD or MPT.

We trust this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Rosanne Kernerman
    Bilingual Consumer Support Representative
    After Sales
    1-800-894-4212
    www.subaru.ca
  • Den5276Den5276 Member Posts: 4
    Ya know, I grew up in NYC and learned on a 'Standard shift'. Never gave it a thought. How soft this country has gotten. I agree , an automatic tranny is easier to drive. :) One shift and away you go. I agree, a clutch pedal is a pain in the neck. 1st , 2nd, 3rd gear, shift shift shift. My 1st experience with this dual tranny, Auto/manual, was with my 2008 Chev Malibu. It has the 'Paddles' on the steering wheel that operate the gear shifting. In the Forester 2009, instead of 'Paddles' you use the Sportshift ( actually the shifting handel) control to move into the higher gears. Just nudge the handel forward a tiny bit to shift gears. I love having the option to use manual or Automatic. I have better control over the vehicle in being able to 'downshift' to 2nd for going into turns, coming to rolling stops. A person who never used a 'Standard Transmission' has no idea of what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But all you guys/gals that learned on a standard, know what I saying, right?
    "Forester 2.5XT includes a Multi-plate Transfer (MPT) System that adjusts torque from 60/40 (F/R) to 50/50 (or anywhere in-between)"

Interesting -- these percentages are different from what I have been told -- 90/10 to 50/50.

Does this apply to all 09 Forester 4AT or just the Turbo??

Bill
    The Sport Shift is especially good for engine braking on all these hills here in West Virginia. I really like it.

Bill
    At the Portland Auto show I got to talk to a few tuners playing with the Forester mapping. It looks like, for the brave, there is considerable extra power lurking in the motor. One limiting factor is the catalytic converter, which is more restrictive than the tuners would like. Changing that to a freer-flowing version is a big help.

Of course, all of this voids the warranty. :blush:
    I just noticed that the new 09 Foresters have very, very thin door glass. Does anyone else think that is a little strange?
  • barneyapplebarneyapple Member Posts: 10
    wouldn't be surprised. the body metal is super thin. if you barely lean on it, it will dent. the interior is cheap and scratches easily. the leather tears easily- i have holes in the middle console from my puppy standing on it. the only saving grace is that the 4wd is good. at least so far. subaru went really cheap on this one. my first subbie and not too impressed.
    Actually, the middle console is not leather but a synthetic plastic. Apparently not claw proof, though.
    The seat leather is pretty substantial in the sides, but not in the middle.

Yes, the interior is cheap in many ways. But frankly, most of the cars I saw at the Portland auto show were no better in terms of scratch resistance, even the expensive German brands.
    This has been known for a while. A simple reflash has F-XTs pushing numbers at the wheels roughly equivalent to 265/285 HP/TQ at the crank. That torque is all available by about 3k rpm too!! That's more and earlier than my WRX.
    Part of what makes the change so dramatic is the understating of the power output of the XT. Despite SAE standards, many dyno runs have shown the XT putting down torque values of 220 at the wheels when that was supposed to be the flywheel value. Given expected drvietrain losses of about 30%, those published numbers from FHI are very conservative.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/images_products/2543.jpg
  • orcorc Member Posts: 39
    Yep... our 09 Forester center console has holes in it from doggy claws... not big claws either. My wife's 2003 Ford Focus has a much nicer and more durable interior all the way around. The dogs have never punctured anything in it including the center console.Like others... I didn't really look closely enough at the interior before buying. We still love the huge moon roof and some other things like the small turning radius and good rough road handling but I've noticed few new vehicles have such cheap interior materials. I won't try and defend that. Just because I bought it doesn't make it perfect. :D