Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Trying to get this sorted out on the oil thread went nowhere :confuse: ...maybe will fare better here.

I've been running Subaru/Dealer recommended oil and ASL Camguard in my '09 XT.
    The Camguard, its maker (former Exxon oil chemist) tells me, enhances a number of properties that make the oil more resistant to turbo heat.

The alternative to that combo is a synthetic oil. However, when I asked both Subaru and my dealer about synthetics, Subaru said they had not done specific testing with it but felt it was ok ( provided I adhere to the regular oil change schedule - last part was in CAPS), and my dealer said I might encounter seal weeping and additional oil consumption by switching to Synthetic.

Foresterers, what've been your experiences?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    Kurt, my response is not Forester-specific, but I use Amsoil Signature 0w-30 on all my vehicles (new and old), and I have found none of them to consume additional oil or develop seal leaks as a result of using the synthetic. I change my oil and filter once per year (put about 10-20K miles per year on each of my primary vehicles), and the oil remains a beautiful golden brown color over the duration.

I have not sent oil samples in for lab analysis, though I might if I had a high-performance car.

On my minivan, I started using synthetic at 170,000 miles two years ago and now have just over 200,000 on it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Been using Quaker State full synthetic 5W-30 in my 04 FXT (and my other cars as well) since the second oil change. It has 56K miles on it now, and no issues. I change oil every 7,500 miles, add a total of about a quart between oil changes.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    Kurt, I have used Mobil 1 5w-30 in all 5 of our Foresters and have had zero problems with anything. I change oil and filter @5K to 6K on my wife's Bean, and once a year on my Premium since I don't use it a lot anymore and barely put on 4K a year.

I started using Mobil 1 back in '88 with my Dodge Shadow turbo and have been a believer ever since.

Mobil formulates their synthetic oil to protect against seal shrinkage, and if the rings have been seated properly there should be no additional consumption either.
    I'll see if my dealer offers Mobil 1. thanks.

Service tech and I talked about switching to synthetic and felt that around 10k miles would be good as that gives XT enough time to get thoroughly broken in.
    So far it does not seem to be burning any oil.
    cars101.com posted a bit of info on the 2010 Forester.

Model, transmission and engine choices appear to be the same as the '09s
    (no 6 speed manual, no 5 speed auto, no CVT, no XTI.)

There are a few new option groupings. Apparently they're using the same Kenwood nav system, but tweaked with bluetooth.

2010's are supposed to appear in June 2009.

Now I can stop worrying about a 5-spd auto outdating my XT ! :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They added Bluetooth but not a backup cam. Bummer. The hardware for a backup cam retails at under $100, why couldn't they add that as well?

When you have a trailer it really helps line up your hitch.

X Premium gets a power driver's seat.

So our Limited is basically unchanged, since we didn't get NAV.
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/05/04/459374.html

apparently derived from a Subaru press release....
    except the photo's not a 2010 or 2009 Forester. :confuse:
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Does anyone know what the tread life mileage on the stock Geos are? I can't seem to find it anywhere?
    Looks like a 2008 Sports XT model.

I expect to get about 35k out of the OE tires.

I got only 28k out of the ones on my 1998 model, but these seem a bit better.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I am not surprised but still I have that "Bah Humbug" feeling about not 5Sd AT on the 2010 Forester :(
    As much as that disappoints me, I am hop to get a new Forester this year - should have my annual $500 Subaru Bucks in hand by the end of June. But I may take a look at the 2010 Outback first. It will be interesting to see if the CVT or 5sp AT results in any mileage or performance improvement as the Outback NA engine appears to be the same as the 09. According to cars101.com the EPA for the 2.5i w CVT is 30 mpg highway

Do you think there is any chance the 2009 Forester Premium will have any of those fabled $2000 model year end rebates of yester-year?
    I expect to get about 35k out of the OE tires.
    I got only 28k out of the ones on my 1998 model, but these seem a bit better.

It'll be interesting to see how Nokian WRG2's do; rated for around 50 K miles.
    They have wear bars for winter service limits as well as tread depth. The winter wear bars have a small snowflake on them and span the grooves, while tread wear indicator's embedded in the center tread ring.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    That's clever. :)
  • sylviecatsylviecat Member Posts: 10
    Hope it's ok to post here AND the MPG section:
    Has anyone had this issue, and do you know a fix? I just hit 10,000 on my 2009 Forester, and my miles per gallon thingy (i'm sorry,, I can't remeber its official name) now reads -----. I looked in the manual, and thought perhaps I'd somehow managed to turn it off, but tried to follow the directions for turning it back on, and then really DID turn it off. Just empty space there. Turned it back on, and now have just dashes where the mileage used to appear. :(
    Would love some help.
    Thanks very much,
    Sylviecat :cry:
    I kinda doubt it - they haven't had any trouble moving Foresters.
    Gotta drive one mile before it'll show any average, that could be it.
  • artourartour Member Posts: 22
    There are 2 trip odometers plus the total mileage odometer in the lcd in the speedometer. The mpg indicator next to the outdoor temp. gauge gives you a readout of the miles registering on whichever trip odometer is showing. If you reset the trip odometer, then the mpg indicator goes to ---- (0) until you register around 1/2 mile on the trip odometer.
  • sylviecatsylviecat Member Posts: 10
    OH! It has to do with the trip odometer, not just overall mileage? See, I never realized that. I let my sister drive it on Sunday, and she is used to a stick, and was pushing all kinds of things. I'll check again.
    Thanks!!
    Also, it is very possible that the car has a 9,999 limit on the trip odometers. On my Outbacks, I used the Trip B as a running total since new, and used the Trip A as my per tank meter. I did not get either of them to 10,000 miles before selling so I cannot tell you for sure. But, if you reset the meter and then get a readout after another mile of driving... that was it!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Info from the '09 subaru forester manual (3-23):

When either trip meter indication is reset, the average fuel consumption corresponding to that trip meter indication is not shown until the vehicle has subsequently covered a distance of one mile (or 1 km).

The display of the average fuel consumption indicator can be turned off.
    To turn off the display of the indicator, turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and press the "+" button adjacent to the information display for approx. 5 seconds. Then, the information display and the clock display will blink for 3 seconds to notify that the display of the average fuel consumption has been turned off.
    To restore the indicator, once again press the "+" button for approx. 5 seconds.
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    There is no recommended tread life on the Geolanders. I tried to find that back in September and finally called a tire company and then the mfg. They do not list a tread life. So, I'm not sure when we should be checking for the wear.
    Probably when you rotate them?

what folks have told me is, In order to work in snow, tires need a fair bit of tread depth.
    What's the UTQG ratings from the sidewall?

That tells a lot, at least how the manufacturer ranks a tire.

140 is the lowest I think. The summer tires on my Miata have that.

I've owned a set with a 460 tread rating but I felt the tires were old/hard and had to be replaced before all the tread was worn off.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Wow! Pretty impressive! Imagine what it could do with some off-road tires!

http://jalopnik.com/5240271/2009-subaru-forester-unsupervised-off+road-mayhem

Bob
    Make sure you watch the video...

Seems like they were trying to get it stuck, yet it took a lot longer for them to succeed (LOL) than they expected.

Note that they made it through several times, even stopping in the middle of the mud pit and even making 90 degrees turns while in deep mud trying to get it stuck.

They finally did find the limits....of the tires. :D

Wow, impressive. Check out the tires especially, you'll see the AWD and traction control do a good job of keeping all the tires spinning at roughly the same speed, maximizing traction.

That's with 55 series street tires! Imagine with some knobby tall tires.
    Note to self: never buy program cars. :D
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    I think, but I'm not sure, that the rating is 95H. Is that right?

I'm not much of a tire person...so not sure if that is the UTQG rating?

I didn't see anything else on the outside of the sidewall that it could be.
    Ha! That's the truth! That Forester was darn impressive in those conditions, though. I never even took my old Outback through stuff like that. :blush:
    The 95 is the weight rating, basically how much load the tire can take.

The H is the speed rating. I think that's 130mph, correct me if I'm wrong.

I was referring to the aspect ratio, though. The 55 series referes to the fact that the sidewall is only 55% as tall as it is wide. That's a low profile, most trucks have 60-75 or so series tires, much taller and more sidewall to flex and meet the contours of off road terrain (as opposed to smooth pavement).

Imagine that Forester with a moderate lift and some knobby tires.
    Very Interesting.
    The Geolanders did surprisingly well.
    It looks like they got stuck when the vehicle underside got hung up (on mud shelf, etc.).

An all-season winter tire (which has larger, more widely spaced blocks) may have helped in some of the stuff.
  • confused25confused25 Member Posts: 11
    Anyone have any problems with their 2009 XT? I've heard of enginer problem (specifically the turbo from oil deprivation) and rattles. Thinking about buying an XT so feedback would be great.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    None that I'm aware of. FWIW, my '09 (turbo) WRX has been fine so far, and I have about 7,500 miles on it.

Bob
    sgloon - you can read about UTQG here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48

TireRack lists the UTQG for the Yoko Geo as 320 B A, which is only fair. It is hard to compare across brands but the range for tread life within Yoko seems to be 300 to 700 for other all-seasons. They have a summer tire that is only a 180.

From a practical standpoint we have found that while our Geos still have tread after 30K the winter performance starts to suffer so we replace them.
    The '09 XT had a recall for early models regarding potential oil line breaking. Very few models had the problem and it has been fixed since.
    There is a TSB on door rattles so if you get them, the dealer can fix them.

FYI, my '09 XT had door rattles (fixed), headliner rattles (fixed), bad HVAC fan (replaced). So far no other issues. 9000 miles so far.

The Nokian WRG2 tires I have on my XT are supposed to last 55K miles (so far wear checks suggest they will get there), However, winter performance will deteriorate markedly once the tread wears down to the winter tread depth indicators. Guess is that will be in 2 - 3 more years.
    Kurt, are you running the Nokians year-round?
    I asked both the dealer and factory rep and was told the WRG2 is an all season tire, but winter rated as well thanks to tread compound and structure.

In Oregon they should do fine as we do not have a lot of hot weather.

In S. Calif, though, I'd have done more research on extensive summer driving.

So far, for around 7000 miles I've used up 10% of the tread (evenly worn, the tire shop told me), so they seem to be wearing well.
    Thanks for the info, I guess some problems should be expected from a first year model. Still kind of disappointing on the rattles since it doesn't convey quality. Hopefully that will be corrected in the 2010 model. I still plan on buying the XT when it becomes available (they did not have the color I wanted in a 2009 model and production of the 2009 model year stopped in late March). Thanks again.
    Thanks for the info.
    Kurt,

Thanks for the info...think I replied to the wrong person. Hopefully the 2010 model year addresses the issues that you identified.
    I remember you saying before that they are all-weather rated; Nokian certainly has a well-earned reputation. I am curious to know how they wear during the warmer months - it will be fantastic if your tires only lose another 10% over the next 7K and still provide good handling characteristics on hot, dry roads.
    Thanks, Frank.

320 is decent, actually. The summer tires on my Miata are just 140.

B is for dry traction. This is an all-season tire hence the compromise to gain a bit of grip in wet and snowy conditions. No one tire can do it all.

A for heat resistance is the best rating, so that's good. Should hold up well at higher speeds and with heavy loads (such as when towing).
    Yeah, summer tires are pretty low, but most of the rest of the all-seasons, including other Yokos, are higher than the Geos 320, some much higher. Several of the Bridgestones seem to be the only ones less than 320. My wife's Michelin Pilot Exaltos are 400 A A. I find them to ride harder than the Geos she replaced but they work very well and she likes them.
    Makes sense to me - probably a harder compound that last longer, hence the rougher ride.
    Could be but I expect it is sidewall flex differences. The Michelin are High Performance all-seasons so I expect stiffer sidewalls.

The first letter in the UTQG is straight ahead wet traction, by the way, not dry.
    Wet, eh? I stand corrected. It's been quite a long time since I've looked. I did that research when I got the first replacement tires for my previous Forester, so that was probably 8 years or so ago.

Wow, time flies.
  • board_jayboard_jay Member Posts: 22
    So I took my 09 Forester in last week to have the puddle lights replaced as 1 was out and the other 3 were very dim. Then ended up needing to replace some central processing unit which required me to give them both sets of old keys & Fobs and they gave me new ones. Tonight is the 1st time I have driven it at night and the red ring light around the ignition where the key goes keeps flashing on/off about every 2-3 seconds. I thought this meant that the car was in Valet mode, but disabled and re-enabled the security system several times and it's still doing it. Does it with both sets of keys + valet key. Anyone know what this is? Tired of going back to Subaru, so far been there 7 times for 4 different things on a 10mo old car. Not impressed.
    While looking at the '09 Xt's manual, I ran across this on page 75:

WARNING: Do not rest your arm on either front door or its internal trim. It could be injured in the event of SRS side air bag deployment.

The illustration shows the passenger with his right arm resting on the passenger door armrest.

Uh...
    the door rests are padded to suggest the driver and passenger can rest their arms there, and the Manual says it's dangerous to do so?

This does NOT compute. "Warning, Warning, Will Robinson (or whoever rests their arms there)" :surprise:
    The red ring is not supposed to flash at all. It's supposed to stay on for 20 seconds, unless before that time is up the driver door is closed , or the key is turned from OFF position.

You might call SUBARU and ask them why the ring is flashing.

Yes, going back to dealers for fixes is no fun. I've been back several times for various problems. However, the '09 Forester is a first year model, and every manufacturer always has glitches with first year models.
    I wouldn't worry - in situations where you're about to collide your elbows would not be at rest any how.

I just saw a TiVo'd episode of MythBusters and they busted the myth that your thumbs could get ripped off if they are on the steering wheel at 10 and 2 o'clock.

They did all sort of testing and the dummy's thumbs were fine, in fact the only time they were "injured" was when they were directly in the path of the exploding air bag. That would mean your elbow would have to be between the seats and the A-pillar to suffer any sort of damage.

Having them on the elbow rest pretty much ensures that will *not* happen.

How timely that I watched that last night, LOL. :D
  • billwvbillwv Member Posts: 48
    Hello All,

I have 09 Forester 2.5X AT PZEV with 4,000 miles.

These last several days, the cold start in the morning has been very rough -- Temp about 60 deg F. All winter in cold temp there was no problem.

On cold start the engine fires right away, but then revs and then almost dies a few times running very rough. It takes about 20 seconds for it to settle down. I expect some roughness on a cold start but this seems extreme -- sounds like a piece of junk. Seems fine once it is warmed up.

Are others experiencing this? Any comments/thoughts?

I wanted to ask for comments before contacting the dealer.

Thanks,

Bill